County seat of Baldwin County, in the central part of the county, on the main line of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, and the northern terminus of the Foley branch of that road, at the headwaters of Bay Minette and White House Creeks, 31 miles northeast of Mobile, 50 miles northwest of Pensacola and 35 miles north of Foley. Altitude 278 feet. Population: 1888 - 250; 1910-749. It is incorporated under the municipal code of 1907. The corporate limits are circular, extending three-fourths of a mile in all directions from the courthouse. It has a city hall, jail, waterworks, 4 miles of paved sidewalks, 5 miles sanitary sewers, electric lights, and volunteer fire department. The Baldwin County Bank (State) is located there, and the Baldwin Times, a Democratic weekly newspaper established in 1890, is published in town. Its principal industries are 10 turpentine and rosin plants, 2 sawmills, 2 gristmills, 2 feed mills, 1 fertilizer plant, hamper and crate factory, ice and power plant, city electric plant installed in 1915 at a cost of $10,000, city waterworks installed in same year at a cost of $20,000, and equipped with an elevated tank of 80,000 gallons capacity. Its public school building is valued at $15,000. It has Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Christian, episcopal, and latter Day Saints Churches.
It is the third county seat the county has had since 1809. Blakely was the first, and Daphne the second. Bay Minette was chosen by the legislature, February 5, 1901. By act approved March 4, 1903, the proceedings in the erection of public buildings and in removing the records of the county from Daphne were legalized and approved. The town is on the old road from Stockton to Daphne. It is the center of extensive shipping activities, as the products of the trucking district along the Foley branch converge there.
Bay Minette was first settled by the French. It took its name from a French woman, who lived on a bayou at the mouth of Bay Minette Creek. The town was established in its present location in 1861 when the railroad was constructed. The first settler was William Wright; the first physician, Dr. J. D. Trammel; first preacher, Rev. Mitchell, Baptist, the first school teacher and postmaster, Miss Annie Byrne. Among the early settlers were the Stanmeyer, Thompson, Hastie, Silva, Byrne, Dolive, and Carney families.
References - Acts, 1900-09, p. 754; Local Acts, 1903, p. 168; Brewer, Alabama (1872), p. 114; Berney, Handbook (1892), p. 268; Riley, Conecuh County (1881), pp. 184, 205; Northern Alabama (1888), p. 230; Polk's Alabama gazetteer, 1888-9, p. 107.
Source: Owen, Thomas and Marie. History of Alabama and Dictionary
of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke, 1921.
Transcribed by Dawn Conway, October 24, 2008