Dr. H. M. Caldwell was stricken some months ago, and his illness at that time excited grave apprehensions; but when he so far recovered, under treatment of the highest medical skill, as to appear again on the streets, hopes of his entire recovery were indulged. Several days ago, however, he was stricken with paralysis, and it became evident to his sorrowing friends that death was hovering near. At 11:45 Wednesday night, in the presence of all his family except one daughter, the end came Dr. Caldwell was at rest.
Henry Martin Caldwell was
He was educated at the schools of
While yet a very young man he was married to Miss Milner, a sister of Maj. W. J. Milner of this city, and as the result of his union he has tow sons and two daughters, Charles H. and John Mr. Caldwell, and Mrs. Charles O. Locke and Mrs. Johnson, all of whom are still living. Mrs. Caldwell died the latter part of August 1894, after a short illness.
Dr. Caldwell was thoroughly imbued with the polities prevailing in his
section and which matured into the formation of the Confederacy. At the
beginning of the war he entered the medical department of the army and until the
surrender served in the army mostly with the Thirty-third Alabama infantry.
After the surrender he returned to that practice of medicine at
He has been identified with the industrial development of
Dr. Caldwell was a member of the First Presbyterian church of this city, and belonged to the order of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. He was strictly temperate, energetic, prudent and faithful.
He devoted the best energies of this life to the enhancement of the interests of the company of which he was president and to the up building of the city. Source: Hamilton News Press, Marion County AL, August 15, 1895 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
CARMICHEL, JOHN C., Attorney-at-Law, Greenville, son of Duggald and Caroline E. Carmichel, natives, respectively, of the States of South Carolina and Georgia, was born in Dallas County, this State, July 2, 1861.
The senior Mr. Carmichel was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He came into Alabama in early life, devoted his time to the ministry until 1867, and in that year embarked in the mercantile business in Dallas County, where he died in 1875.
John C. Carmichel was educated, primarily, at the common schools. In 1882 he entered the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Auburn, remained one year, and for the next succeeding twelve months turned his attention to teaching in the public schools. In 1885 he edited the Alabama Free Press, at Brownsville, and while there conceived the idea of studying law. In the office of W J Sanford, at Opelika, he pursued the study of law about one year, and on April 15, 1886, was admitted to the bar. He began the practice at Greenville in October, 1887, in partnership with Mr. Zell Gaston. The firm of Carmichel & Gaston are among the most reputable in Central Alabama.
Mr. Carmichel is a member of the Knights of Honor, Knights of Pythias, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and is officially identified with the Sabbath school. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
DUNKLIN, DANIEL G. prominent Merchant and Planter was born at Greenville, Ala., October 28, 1823, and his parents were James and Catharine (Lee) Dunklin, the former a native of South Carolina and the latter of Leesburg, N. C.
James Dunklin came to Alabama in 1818, and was among the first (if not the very first) settlers at where now stands the town of Greenville. He became an extensive planter, was one of the commissioners that laid out the town of Greenville, and was afterward commissioner of the county. He died in Greenville in 1828.
Daniel G. Dunklin, during his youth, acquired such learning as was possible at the neighboring schools, attending perhaps three months out of the year. As will be seen he was only four years of age at the time of his father's death. At the age of fourteen years in a dry goods house at Montgomery, he received his first employment as a clerk, and he remained with that concern seven years. He was twenty-one years of age when he engaged in the mercantile business at Montgomery on his own account. He remained there two years, came to Greenville, and established himself in the mercantile business. Here he has been one of the most successful merchants; he has devoted his time to his business, and has accumulated a competency. Prior to the war he owned a large number of slaves, was extensively interested in planting, and had standing out on interest a large amount. It is not necessary to add that the war swept away this immense fortune, for that was but the common lot of a great many.
During the four years of the war, Mr. Dunklin was in the Quartermaster's Department of the Confederate States, and afterwards engaged in mercantile business again at Greenville. He has succeeded in regaining largely his lost estate. He is now one of the most extensive farmers in Butler County, producing annually many bales of cotton, and giving particular attention to the breeding of stock. He has probably the finest stock farm and vineyard in this section. He is one of Greenville's most respected citizens, noted for his kind-heartedness, liberality and public-spiritedness.
He was married January 19, 1847, to Miss Susan C. Burnett, of Greenville, Ala. She died in 1861, leaving one child. Walter J. January 12, 1864, Mr. Dunklin married Miss Hanna Patton, of Greenville, Ala., and has had born to him one son, Patton B. The family belong to the Episcopal Church, and Mr. Dunklin is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the I. O. O. F - Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
GASTON, ZELL, Attorney-at-law, Greenville of the firm of Carmichel & Gaston, was born in Butler County, this State, June 21, 1863, and is a son of Lucius C. and Amanda J. Gaston, natives, respectively, of the States of Georgia and Florida.
Mr. Gaston attended the common schools of his neighborhood until about sixteen years of age, at which time he entered the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Auburn, where he remained four years. From the Agricultural and Mechanical College he entered the Alabama University, and from there graduated as Bachelor of Arts, class of 1884. Returning to Greenville, he accepted the principalship of the public schools, and taught therein for the two succeeding years. He read law in the office of the Hon. J. C. Richardson, of this city, was admitted to the bar in February, 1886, and entered at once into a partnership with John C. Carmichel, in the practice of law.
Mr. Gaston is now, and has been for some time, County Superintendent of Education. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Knights and Ladies of Honor and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He was married January 26, 1887, to Miss Lelia Dulin, daughter of Adam B. Dulin, Esq., of this place. (Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
Wesley Hamner was born in 1812, in Putnam County, Ga., and moved into Marion County (Ga) when a young man; being a cripple - from accident - he learned the shoe-making trade, which he followed a good many years. He was an independent soldier in the War of 1836; came to Alabama in 1843, and returned to Georgia in 1847. In 1856 he returned to Alabama and located in Pike County. After the war he moved into Butler County, where he died in 1886. He was an earnest Christian gentleman, and much devoted to his family. He reared two sons and seven daughters: Sarah J., wife of N. Cowart, of Georgia; Daniel T.,; Martha, wife of Benjamin Hudson; Mary E., wife of Augustus Parker; Julia S., wife of R. H. J. Hilldreth; Frances (deceased) was the wife of William McKinney and the mother of five children, all of whom were drowned in attempting to cross a stream of water in 1876; Ellen, wife of N. D. Hathorn; Susan W., wife of Sidney Williams; John W. T., a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
LINTON, JOHN , soldier of the
American Revolution, aged 76 years, and a resident of Butler County; private N.
C. Militia and State Troops; enrolled on Oct 19, 1833, under act of Congress of
June 7, 1832, payment to date from March 4, 1831; annual allowance, $76.66.
Revolutionary Pension Roll, in part 3, vol. xiii. Sen. doc. 514, 23rd Cong., 1st
sess., 1833-34. He resided in Butler County, June 1, 1840, with Hugh Linton,
aged 82. Census of Pensioners, 1841, p. 149. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of
Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The
S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LITTLE, JOHN BUCKNER, educator and editor, was born October 10, 1861; son of John G. and Sophronia E. (Howell) Little, of Greenville. He entered the University of Alabama in 1879, and received the degrees of A. B., 1883, and A. M., 1886, from this institution. He was assistant professor of chemistry. University of Alabama, 1883-87; president, South Alabama institute, Greenville, 1887-90; principal, Military academy, Huntsville, 1890-91; editor, "Tuscaloosa Times," 1886, "True Democrat," 1888, "State Review," 1895-96; later a teacher in Butler County. Author: "History of Butler County," 1885. Married: in 1890, to Lula Duncan, of Huntsville. Residence: Butler County. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LITTLE, JOHN GOODWIN, farmer, was born December 3, 1825, near Ridgeville, Butler County, deceased; son of Amos and Elizabeth (Hays) Little, who came from Union District, S. C., to Butler County in 1820, later moving to Conecuh County; grandson of John and Martha (Manning) Little, and of Thomas Norris and Cansody (Goodwin) Hays, all of Union District, S. C. The Hays, Little and Manning families were all of Irish stock, having come from near Cork, Ireland, to Maryland, prior to the Revolutionary war. Mr. Little was reared on a farm, and received a limited education in the country schools. In 1846, he became employed as overseer with Col. Estey of Mississippi for eighteen months; later invested in land near Cedar, Butler County; during the War of Secession raised provisions for the army; engaged in farming for five years after the war; moved to Monterey, where he lived for fifteen years; and in 1888 moved to Greenville, where he lived in retirement. He was a Democrat and a Baptist. Married: December 22, 1855, to Sophronia Elizabeth Howell, who died January 10, 1892. Children: 1. Theresa Jenelia, m. Dr. Jabes J. Garrett; 2. Susan Elizabeth, m. William Andrew Jackson Stuart; 3. John Buckner, who was assistant professor of chemistry, University of Alabama, 1883-1887, president of the Southern Alabama institute, Greenville, 1887-1890, principal of the Military academy at Huntsville, 1890-1891, editor of the "Tuscaloosa Times," 1886, of the "True Democrat," 1888, of the "State Review," 1895-1896, and author of "History of Butler County," m. Lula Mary Duncan; 4. Annie B., m. Dr. Frank H. Mason; 5. Charles Town, merchant, m. Eugene McDowell. Last residence: Butler County. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LLOYD, BENJAMIN, primitive Baptist minister and compiler of hymns, was born October 6, 1804, in Talbot County, Ga., and died January 14, 1860. in Greenville; son of John E. and Elizabeth Lloyd. His paternal ancestors came from Wales with William Penn chiefiy settling in Virginia, though members of the original family remained in Pennsylvania, others settled in Maryland, one branch continuing southward from Virginia. Benjamin Lloyd was a minister of the gospel, in the Primitive Baptist church. Under President Buchanan's administration, he was receiver of the land office of the United States, at Greenville. He was major of militia in the Indian War of 1836. Author: "Primitive hymns"; "The primitive hymns, spiritual songs, and sacred poems, regularly selected, classified and set in order, and adapted to social singings and all occasions of Divine Worship." Married: February 22, 1832, at Eatonton, Ga., to Naomi Ann, daughter of Elder Cary and Martha (Roundtree) Cox, who lived at Eatonton. The family of Roundtrees lived in Edgefield District, S. C. Children: 1. John Franklin, Confederate soldier, died from wounds received in battle of Chickamauga, Tenn., m. Mary Eliza Lee; 2. Cary Chapelle, Confederate soldier and Baptist minister, m. (1) Susan M. Lee, (2) 'Julia A. Snelgrove; 3. Joseph Lafayette, Baptist minister, m. (1) Mary Ann Henderson; (2) Lucy Payne; 4. Columbus James, d. in infancy; 5. Eugene Emory, d. unmarried; 6. Benjamin, jr., Confederate soldier, killed during War of Secession in railroad accident, near Cleveland, Tenn., September 9, 1862; 7. Frances Elizabeth, d. in infancy; S.William Holt, Confederate soldier, m. Mary Frances Reynolds; 9. Andrew Jackson, Confederate soldier, killed at the battle of Richmond, Va., July 2, 1862; 10. Wylie Willis, Confederate soldier, m. Carrie Cooper; 11. Jesse Cox, Confederate soldier, m. Mattie Eliza Reynolds; 12. Orren Datus, Confederate soldier, m. Mary E. Norvell; 13. Milton Stephens, Confederate soldier, m. Melissa Harwell; 14. Martha Ann Eliza, d. young; 15. Ichabod David, m. Mary Hundley; 16. Fannie Joe, m. Y. C. Norris; 17. Thomas Jefferson, m. (1) Fannie Perryman, (2) unknown; 18. James Buchanan m. (1) Maggie Herbert Adams, (2) Sallie Barnett Adams; 19. Albert Adams, m. Lena Brown. Last residence: Greenville. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LLOYD, CARY CHAPPELLE, physician, was born April 2, 1834, at Talbotton, Talbot County, Ga. ; son of Rev. Benjamin and Naomi Ann (Cox) Lloyd. He received his academic education in the common schools of the period and completed his medical studies at the Jefferson medical colleges, Philadelphia, Perin., and Atlanta, Ga., graduating with honors in 1856, at the age of twenty-two, at the latter institution. He entered upon the practice of his profession at Greenville, the following year. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861, at the outbreak of the War of Secession, Co. D, 17th Alabama cavalry regiment, and was made assistant regimental quartermaster with the rank of captain of cavalry. He is a Democrat, an ordained minister of the Missionary Baptist church, and was clerk of the Alabama Baptist association for twenty-five years. Married: April 28, 1858, at Mt. Willing, Lowndes County, to Susan Miller, daughter of Rev. David and Mary (Coleman) Lee of that place. Children: 1. Carrie Lee, m. John R. Brooks, Liberty, N. C.; 2. Francis Bartow m. Sarah Lillian Carter, Butler Springs; 3. Eleanor C., Greenville. Residence: Greenville. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LLOYD, JAMES BUCHANAN, merchant, was born February 2, 1857, near Old Fort Dale, Butler County; son of Benjamin and Naomi Ann (Cox) Lloyd, the former who was born in Talbot County, Ga., emigrated to Alabama in 1836, lived in several places in the state, was a Primitive Baptist minister and the compiler of the "Primitive Baptist Hymn Book," was a major of Alabama militia in the Indian war of 1813, and receiver of the U. S. land office at Greenville under Buchanan's administration; grandson of Cary and Martha (Roundtree) Cox, of Eatonton, Ga. The Lloyds came from Wales with William Penn. Mr. Lloyd was educated in the Greenville schools, and after leaving school engaged in merchandising. He was postmaster at Pine Apple, 1891- 1897; and represented Wilcox County in the State legislature, 1911. He is a Democrat and a member of the Christian church. Married: (1) November 8, 1882, to Maggie Herbert Adams, and (2) December 28, 1892, to Sallle Barnett Adams; both daughters of :Dr. David and Martha (Blankenship) Adams, of Pine Apple; granddaughters of John and Mahalath (Atkins) Adams of Georgja, and of John and Eliza (Carter) Blankenship. Children, by second marriage: 1. James Adams. Residence: Pine Apple. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LOBMAN, NATHAN, merchant, was born June 2, 1851, in New York City; son of Henry and Theresa (Steiner) Lobman, natives, respectively, of Heidelberg, Bavaria, and Tachan. Austria, who emigrated to New York in 1846 or 1847, and were married in that city, who came to Greenville in 1854, and moved to Montgomery in 1861, the former of whom engaged in cabinet making and merchandising until the death of his wife in 1876, when he went to Pineapple to live. He was educated in a school taught by Col. Thomas Herbert in Greenville, and after leaving school, clerked for two years in Greenville, for the firm of L. Bear and company. In 1869, he moved to Montgomery where he conducted a general store, and two years later moved to Pineapple, where he opened a general store in partnership with L. Steiner. under the firm name of Steiner and Lobman. After nineteen years in business together at Pineapple, Mr. Lobman and Mr. Steiner opened a wholesale drygoods house in Montgomery. Mr. Lobman was elected alderman of Montgomery in April, 1903. He is a director in the Peoples cotton factory, a director of the Commercial and industrial association, and a trustee of the Jewish Temple. He is a Mason; an Odd Fellow; a Knight of Pythias; a member of the National Union; and of the B'nai B'rith. Married: January 14, 1884, to Carrie, daughter of Joseph Pollock, of New York City. Children: 1. Theresa; 2. Walter; 3. Myron; 4. Bernard. Residence: Montgomery. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LONG, JOHN LEE, business man, was born January 12, 1868, at Greenville; son of John T. and Louisa (Thagard) Long, who lived in Greenville; grandson of Solomon and Patience P. (Warr) Long, and of Rev. Solomon Thagard. In early life, Mr. Long clerked in a store, then went into business for himself as a cotton buyer. He has served Greenville several times as councilman, treasurer, and member of the school board: has been chairman of the board of revenue for Butler County ; chairman of the Democratic executive committee of Butler County; a member of the State executive committee, and chairman of the congressional executive committee; was a member of the constitutional convention of 1901; became a member of the staff of Gov. Joseph F. Johnston with the rank of lieutenant colonel; was elected to the State legislature in 1906, and was re-elected in 1910 and 1919; served in 1910 as chairman of the campaign committee having in charge the successful fight against the adoption of the proposed amendment to the State constitution providing for constitutional prohibition; was appointed chairman of the State tax commission in 1911, and held that position until September, 1913, when he resigned to enter business in Greenville. He is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Married: May 23, 1900, to Sallie Dickerson of Greenville. Residence: Greenville. LONG, JOHN R., merchant, was born August 25, 1835, in Pickens County; son of Richard and Mary H. (Coleman) Long, natives of Virginia, who moved first to South Carolina, and in 1828, to Alabama, settling on a plantation in Pickens County, near Pickensville, until the death of the former in 1858. His paternal grandfather was born in Ireland, and his grandmother in England. He began life for himself as a clerk for Drury Miller, a merchant at Bridgeville, and remained Micro for three years, when, on the death of his father, he returned home and took charge of the plantation, at the same time conducting a farm of his own in Noxubee County, Miss. He enlisted in the C. S. Army in 1861, joining Co. C, Forty-first Alabama infantry, and remained in the service of the commissary department until the latter part of 1864, when he was discharged on account of disability for service. In 1866, he formed a partnership in the mercantile business with Dr. A. M. Wilkins at Pickensville, and at the same time formed a partnership with S. W. Hood, at Franconia. He maintained the latter association until 1869, when he sold his interest in the business at Franconia, and gave his entire attention to the store in Pickensville, assuming full control of the business in 1887. He was a township trustee for twenty years, and is a Mason. Married: (1) in 1869, to Dora Stinson, who was born in Pickens County, and died December, 1882, daughter of James and Nancy (Cotton) Stinson; (2) in November, 1886, to Mary Archibald, a native of Pleasant Ridge, Greene County. Children, by first marriage: 1. Walter, b. in January, 1871, a graduate of Marion military institute, 1892; 2. Julia, b. in March, 1873, attended Judson college; 3. Lillie, b. in December, 1875, attended Judson college; 4. John R., jr., b. in January, 1877, attended Pickensville institute; 5. Drury, b. in July, 1881; by second marriage: 6. Annie, b. in January, 1889. Residence: Pickensville. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
MILNER, JOHN COOPER of Vernon. Ala., was born May 28. 1868. at Georgiana. Butler county. Ala., and is the son of John Ashley and Sallie (Cooper) Milner, and the grandson of Pitt Sanders and Parmelia N. (Parler) Milner respectively of Barnesville. Ga.. and of Georgiana, Ala., and of Peter and Symantha (Moncrief) Cooper, of Cooper's Station. Ala. The Milner family came originally from England. One Captain John Milner, presumably an ancestor of John C. Milner. served in the CaroIinas in the War of the Revolution. John A. Milner, being a civil engineer, lived in various places in Alabama. During the War period he was employed by the Confederate Government in the manufacture of iron. John C. Milner, at various times, attended several schools in different parts of Alabama; also attended Moores' Business University in Atlanta, and in June, 1889, he graduated from the Law Department of the University of Alabama, and very soon thereafter he entered upon an active practice of law in Birmingham. He was county solicitor of Lamar county, Ala., 1891-1892, Mayor of Vernon, Ala.. 1895-1896. His only claim to Military service is that of having been a private in Co. "M" Alabama State Troops (as they were then called), in 1892-1894. He is a Democrat, and was Chairman of Campaign Committee of Lamar County. He was beat commissioner 1896-1898, delegate to most of the State conventions, member of State Executive Committee. 1906-1910, and a member of Congressional Executive Committee. 1906-1910. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. South, in 1882. and has been a steward in it continuously since 1896. He is a Mason; and Odd Fellow; and a member of the A. T. O. fraternity. He was married. June 29. 1892. at Vernon, Ala., to Adine Pearl Cobb, the daughter of Roland Wallace and Laura Chappel (Price) Cobb, and the granddaughter of Alexander Cobb, who was a member of the Alabama Legislature from Fayette county during the entire war period. 1801-1865, and was Judge of Probate of Lamar county from 1874 to the time of his death in December, 1887. Source: Alabama Official and Statistical Register - by Alabama Department of Archives and History. Compiled by Thomas M. Owen, LL. D., Director , Montgomery, Ala. THI Brown Printing Company 1911 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
O., breeder of thoroughbred horses, etc.; born Greenville, Ala., Nov.
18, 1855; son of Dr. Clinton D. and Eleanor (Oliver) Parmer; Scotch-Irish
descent; educate A. & M. College, Auburn, Ala., 1872-73; married Lizzie
Dunklin Jan. 2, 1877; member Knights of Honor, K.P.s, Hermitage and Big Lake
and Windsor Clubs; Major 2 nd Ala. Regimental State Troops 1878-82; member
Methodist church, P.O. address Nashville R.D.
Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler
RILEY, REV. B. F., D. D., the subject of this sketch is a native Alabamian. He was born near the village of Pineville, Monroe County, July 16, 1849. Reared in a country home far in the interior, his early scholastic advantages were meagre. His early years were chiefly spent laboring on his father's farm, with occasional alternations of attendance at a country school. At the age of eighteen he asked permission of his father to leave home, in order that he might secure an education. Going to Starlington, Butler County, he taught a primary school, where he made his first money. In his nineteenth year he went to Erskine College, S. C, and begged that he be taken on trial in the sophomore class. His training had been so defective that he found it difficult to retain his place in the class, but, overcoming all barriers, he pushed through and graduated in 1871. His original purpose was to prepare for the bar, but this idea he abandoned and chose the ministry instead. After the completion of his course at Erskine, he entered the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, then at Greenville, S. C, but his health had been so impaired by the taxation of his strength in his literary course, that he had to give up the prosecution of his theological studies. Returning to Alabama, he engaged in manual labor, in order to recuperate his strength for the further pursuit of his divinity course. After the lapse of a year or more he entered the Crozer Theological Seminary, near Philadelphia, and returned to Alabama in 1876. He has served as pastor of the Baptist Churches at Snow Hill and Opelika, Ala., and Albany, Ga. At present he is pastor at Livingston, Ala. In 1885 he was honored with the title of Doctor of Divinity by the State University. Dr. Riley's tastes are decidedly literary. He has accumulated an excellent library, and is a regular contributor to some of the leading journals of the country. He has written two small works - one a local history, the History of Conecuh County, Ala., and the Immigrants' and Capitalists' Guide-Book to Alabama. The latter work was purchased by the State for gratuitous distribution, and is used in the interest of immigration. Dr. Riley has other works in course of preparation, which will be issued as early as the exactions of his pastoral work will allow. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney