| ABERNATHY, MILES WASHINGTON, planter and public official, was born July 21, 1801, at Mountain Creek. Lincoln County, N. C., and died July 22. 1877, at Jacksonville; son of John D. and Susan (Forney) Abernathy, a native of Virginia, but later resident of Mountain Creek, where he owned iron works and plantation lands; grandson of David and Nancy (Turner) Abernathy of Virginia, and of Jacob and Maria (Bergner) Forney of Mount Welcome, Beattle's Ford, N. C. He was well educated in the schools of his native county. His abilities were early recognized, and he was sent as a representative from Lincoln County, to the North Carolina legislature where he served two terms. He was then made county Judge, and held that office until his removal to Alabama In 1837. He bought a plantation in Benton, now Calhoun County, and settled his slaves upon it and also formed a partnership in the mercantile business with his brother-in-law. Col. John D. Hoke. In 1842 he was elected to the house of representatives of Alabama, and served for two terms. In 1866 he was elected to the senate, where he remained four years. It was because of his admiration for John C. Calhoun, to whose political opinions he subscribed, that he caused the name of the county to be changed from Benton to Calhoun. The monument to his legislative service however, is the State school for the deaf and dumb, located at Talladega, which under his leadership was established In 1857- 58. He was one of a committee of three appointed by the legislature In 1847 to receive the new capitol building at Montgomery. At the outbreak of the War of Secession he tendered his service to the Confederate cause; was appointed major, and his home was turned into a receiving hospital for sick soldiers. He was a Lutheran, and Democrat. Married: June 18, 1836, in Lincolnton. N. C, to Ann, daughter of Daniel and Barbara (Ramseur) Hoke of that place; granddaughter of Jacob A. and Sabina (Swope) Ramseur whose parents emigrated from Alsace on the Rhine, settling first in Pennsylvania and later in North Carolina. Children: 1. Fannie E. m. T. W. Francis, Jacksonville; 2. Anna M. m. D. P. Loretz, Jacksonville; 3. Mary A., m. H. L. Stevenson, Jacksonville; 4. Macon, student University of Alabama, 1859, private in Co. O, 10th Alabama Infantry regiment, C. S. Army, mortally wounded at Frazier's Farm, Va., June 30, 1862, d. at Richmond July 1, 1862; 5. Julia Swope. m. J. D. Smith. Last residence: Jacksonville.|
Source: History of Alabama and Dictioary of Alabama Biography, by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D., 1921, Transcribed by C. Anthony
ALEXANDER, WILLIAM J. was born in Calhoun County, Ala., in May, 1842, and is a son of Arthur T. and Rebecca (Borden) Alexander.
The senior Mr. Alexander was born in North Carolina, and when a child taken by his parents to Habersham County, and thence to Carroll County, Ga. He came to Calhoun County, this State, in 1832, and settled eight miles east of Cross Plains (now in Cleburne County), where his father entered lands and improved them. He died in 1851, and a few months later his wife followed him. They left two sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to maturity. The Alexanders and Bordens are of English ancestry.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, received a common-school education, and at the age of seventeen years began life as a farmer, which he has continued ever since. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-fifth Alabama Infantry, and was in the first battle of Farmersville, Tenn., south of Shiloh. He participated in the Kentucky invasion, was taken prisoner at Glasgow, Ky., and was exchanged about two months later. He joined his regiment again at Shelbyville, Tenn., and was in the battles of Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, in all the fights from Chattanooga to Atlanta and New Hope Church to Atlanta. When Hood made his raid into Tennessee, our subject joined Wheelers cavalry, with which command he remained until the surrender. At the close of the war he resumed farming. In 1871 he was appointed sheriff of Cleburne County, and in 1874 was elected to that office. He served in this capacity about six years. In 1878 he was elected to the Lower House of the Legislature, reelected in 1882, and in 1884 was elected to the Senate from his district, which office he holds at the present writing (1888). Mr. Alexander was married in August, 1866, to Sarah Cornelia, daughter of Henry A. Smith, of Floyd County, Ga. This union has been blessed with two children, William H. and Bessie E. Mr. Alexander and wife are members of the Christian Church. Source: Northern Alabama: Historical and Biographical, Published by Smith & DeLand, Birmingham, Ala., 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
ALLEN, LUCIUS L., son of Hudson H. and Nancy (Corneilson) Allen, was born in Gwinnett County, Ga., June 23, 1831, and was educated at Emory College, that State. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, Fifty-first Alabama Cavalry, and with that command participated in the battles of Murfreesboro, Missionary Ridge, Knoxville, Chickamauga, and the Atlanta and Dalton campaigns. His father came into Alabama in 1835, purchased a large tract of government land, and other lands from the Indians, and became one of the most extensive planters and slaveholders in his neighborhood. Mr. Allen was reared on a farm, and to agriculture has devoted his time and his talents. He was married in November 1854, to Miss Emma Pyles, daughter of Lewis and Catherine (Perrin) Pyles, and his children are: Susan C. (Mrs. Hudson), Lelia J. (Mrs. Snow), Nancy Lulu, Lilly A. and Alice C. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mr. Allen is a Mason.
The senior Mr. Allen died at his home, near Oxford, January 8, 1885, at the age of 83 years: his wife died in 1869. They reared a family of three sons: William H., Asa F., and the subject of this sketch. Asa F. is a Baptist minister, and resides on the old homestead.
Asa Allen was the name of the grandfather of Lucius L. He married a Miss Jones in Georgia, whither he had migrated from Virginia at an early day. He reared a family of four sons and four daughters, and in l834 or 1835 moved to Limestone County, Ala., where he died in 1840 at the age of 69 years. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
ANDERSON, GEORGE THOMAS, soldier, was born in 1824 in Georgia. In 1855-58 he was captain in the first United States cavalry. He was a confederate soldier and veteran of the Mexican war; and attained the rank of brigadier-general. He died April 4, 1901, in Anniston, Ala.
[Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
BARRY, THOMAS H., Merchant and Manufacturing, Oxford, son of Reese and Ann S.(Manson) Barry, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Maryland, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 4, 1836, and in that city received his education. Accompanying his mother, in 1855, he moved to San Antonio, Tex., and was there engaged in mercantile business until the outbreak of the late war. Early in the spring of 1861, he enlisted as a private soldier in Company G, Eighth Texas ("Terry's Rangers"), and remained in the service until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Woodsonville, Ky., Shiloh, Murfreesboro, and all the engagements from Chickamauga to New Hope Court House. At the latter engagement he was wounded, and fell into the hands of the enemy, but escaped while en route to Rock Island, rejoined his command, and took part in the battles around Atlanta. At Waynesboro, November 28, 1864, he was severely wounded, and from that date to the close of the war remained in hospital. Returning to Texas in 1865, he engaged at his former business, and was there until 1872, when he came to Oxford. Here he has since been, in the mercantile business, and was one of the organizers of the Barry & Draper Manufacturing Co. This company was organized in 1824, and Mr. Barry has been its president from the beginning. He is also president of the Oxford Building & Loan Association, and is otherwise identified with various other industries. Mr. Barry was married March 6, 1865, to Miss Emily F. Gray, of Georgia. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Knights of Honor, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Masonic fraternity. The senior Mr. Barry moved to Cincinnati when he was a young man, and was engaged at steamboating the rest of his life. He died in 1840, leaving three children, to-wit: William D., Thomas H., and Caroline E. His father, Daniel Barry, was a farmer in Virginia, where he lived and died. The family came originally from Ireland, and the Mansons appear to be of French origin. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
BORDERS SAMUEL K., was born in Jackson County, Ga., January 12, 1822, and died at Oxford Ala., December 26, 1881. His parents were John and Cynthia Borders. The senior Mr. Borders in early manhood migrated from Virginia to Tennessee, and from there to Georgia, where he was married. From Georgia he moved to Mississippi, where he was engaged at planting, and from Mississippi in 1833 or 1834 he came to Calhoun County. Here he located near Oxford, and became one of the most extensive planters of his neighborhood. He reared a family of two sons and six daughters, namely: Samuel K., Abner, Mary (Mrs. Brooks), Virginia (Mrs. Cunningham), Adaline (Mrs. Bush), Ann (Mrs. Jenkins), Eliza (Mrs. Pondor), Evaline (Mrs. Bush), and buried one daughter, Georgia, in early girlhood. The subject of this sketch was educated at Athens, Ga., and after graduating began the study of medicine. At the request of his father he gave up the idea of professional life, and thereafter turned his attention to farming. He served through the Mexican War as a member of Company I, First Regiment Alabama Volunteers, and through the war between the States as a member of the Fifty-first Alabama Cavalry. March 1851, Mr. Borders was married to Miss Sallie Williams, daughter of Dr. John Williams, and had born to him seven children: Georgia (Mrs. Christian), Mary (Mrs. Waters), Hattie (Mrs. Wilson), Annie, Sallie, Lillie and John. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
BULLARD, AURELIUS F., M. D. prominent Physician and Surgeon, Oxford,[AL] was born at Bennington, Vt., September 15, 1848, and is the son of William H. and Roxanna A. (Moon) Bullard, natives of Massachusetts and Vermont, and of Irish and Scotch extraction, respectively. Doctor Bullard received his primary education in the common schools of Vermont, and at the Wesleyan Institute of Willbraham, Mass., and at the age of fifteen years went to sea as a sailor before the mast. In 1869, as second mate of a ship, he came South. The crew, while at Mobile, were taken with yellow fever, from the fatal effects of which, it appears, that he and his captain were the only ones to escape. He made his way to Wilmington, where another crew was organized, and as first mate he sailed to Boston, where he abandoned seafaring life. Returning to Alabama, he attended school at Montgomery, and graduated in 1871. In the meantime he took lectures at Jefferson College, Philadelphia. Since engaging regularly in the practice of his profession, he has been recognized as one of the most careful, studious, and reliable physicians of Oxford, and he is at this writing in the enjoyment of an excellent practice. He is a member of the various medical associations, and is held in high esteem by the members of the profession throughout the State. He was married August 28, 1876, to Miss Julia B. Goodhue, daughter of Prof. Amos B. Goodhue. The Goodhues are also of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and came South about thirty years ago. Professor Goodhue is now retired. The senior Mr. Bullard came South in 1868, and to Oxford in 1872. He reared three sons: the subject of this sketch, William E. and Oliver H. Doctor Bullard is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Baptist Church. His children are: William G., Alice A., and Elerslie W. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
CALHOUN, OTIS VAUGHN, Methodist minister, was born January 23. 1879. In Jackson County, Miss.: son of Charles Wesley and Laura Ann (Vaughn)Calhoun, the former a native of Clarke Sounty, who was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, south, Mississippi conference; grandson of John Calhoun, who lived In Clarke County, and whose ancestors came from Scotland to the United States soon after the Revolutionary War. He received his early education under the Instruction of D. M. Callaway at Selma, and J. T. Collins, at Thomasvllle; was graduated from Southern university, B. P., 1899; and was a student In the theology department of Vanderbilt university for one year. He joined the Alabama Conference. Methodist Episcopal church, South, at Greenville, In December. 1901, and Is now stationed at Calhoun. He is a Democrat; a Knight Templar; and a Shrlner. Married: February 26, 1907, at Mobile, to Mary Cameron Byrne, daughter of Robert D. and Elizabeth (McCasklll) Byrne, who lived at Mobile. Children: 1. Charles Robert; 2. Elizabeth Vaughn; 3. John Byrne; 4. Mary Catherine. Residence: Calhoun. Source: History of Alabama and Dictioary of Alabama Biography, by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D., 1921, Transcribed by C. Anthony
CALLAWAY, ROBERT BAKER, educator, was born July 21, 1852. In Summerfleld, Dallas County, Ala.; son of Rev. Christopher Columbus Callaway and his wife, Zerllda Emerlne Denton, who was a daughter of John Francis and Elizabeth Denton, who lived In Winston County, Miss. Rev. Callaway was born in Lincoin County, Tenn., and for many years was pastor of the Methodist church at Greensboro. Ala.; also financial agent of the Southern University; and presiding elder of the Tuscaloosa district. Robert Baker Callaway began his education under the direction of Miss Emma Meors and afterward attended schools taught by her brother. Dr. Meors, both from the north, Prof. O. F. Casy and Capt. A. H. Hutchinson. Subsequently he was a student at the Southern University but quit before graduating to go to work. He began teaching in 1872 In Mississippi; filled the chair of mathematics In Stonewall Institute, 1875-8; and has since taught in Sumter County. Ala. most of the time In Livingston. In 1893 he was appointed county superintendent of schools by Major John G. Harris, and by reelection has since filled that position. He is a Democrat; a Methodist, taking an active part in church and Sunday school work and Mason and Knight of Pythias, having filled offices in both lodges. Married: December 12, 1882, at Livingston, to Margaret Elsie Edmundson, who was born October 9, 1859, In Nashville, Tenn., a daughter of John King and Matilda Greer (Wilson) Edmundson. of Nashville. Children: 1. Maggie Bryan, d.; 2. Helen, m. J. Graham Putnam; 3. Robert Baker, d.; 4. Maude Bordeaux; and 6. Marguerite Catherine. Residence: Livingston, Ala.Source: History of Alabama and Dictioary of Alabama Biography, by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D., 1921, Transcribed by C. Anthony
CAMBRON, ELY LEWIS, minister of the gospel; born Calhoun Co., Ala., Nov. 1, 1860; English descent; son of J.W. and Martha (Jester) Cambron; father’s occupation blacksmith; educated in Tenn.; married Emily E. Gattis July 9, 1879; Democrat; member of Church of Christ; engaged in the mercantile business at Winchester, Tenn. Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler
COWAN, JAMES H., son of David and Matilda Cowan was born in Benton county, Alabama, Dec. 24, 1840. His parents moved to Tenn. and from there to Missouri in 1853, and settled where the subject of this sketch now lives, on Big Sugar creek near Cyclone. He attended school at the Love school house in Elk Horn township. In 1872 he was united in marriage with Miss Hannah Phillips, but she died two weeks later. The next year he married her sister Mary. She lived twelve years and bore five children, three of whom are living — Nancy (Cook), Marcus Andrew, and David C., all in this county. Mr. Cowan is a farmer by occupation, a staunch Republican in politics, and for fifteen years has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He enlisted in Co. M. Sixth Mo. Cavalry September 1, 1861; again in Fifteenth Mo. Cav. Nov. 1, 1863. He served as Corporal for some time, and was elected Lieutenant, but the war closed before his commission came. Source: History of McDonald County, Missouri, by Judge J. A. Sturges, 1897, Submitted by Linda Rodriguez
DAILEY, JACOB F., was born in Lincoln County, N. C, December 3, 1817, and is a son of Aaron and Mary (Albernathy) Dailey, natives of Ireland and of North Carolina, respectively. The senior Mr. Dailey came to America with his parents (about 1795), and settled in Lincoln County, N. C. He was a farmer and also superintendent of an iron furnace. He reared a family of four sons and three daughters, and died in 1858 at the age of forty years. His widow survived him many years, and died at the extreme old age of ninety-six years. She was a strong and hearty woman up to the time of her death.
Jacob F. Dailey, our subject, was reared in North Carolina by his uncle, Miles W. Abernathy; received a common-school education, and at the age of sixteen years began life as a sailor, which avocation he followed six years, and at the age of twenty-one entered into business on his own account at Lincolnton Court House, N. C. In 1847, he came to Cross Plains, [AL], entered into a general merchandise business, and continued it with success ever since. His was the first store erected in this village. In 1849 he purchased several hundred acres of land, and in connection with his merchandise business, has been farming ever since. He now owns several large farms near Cross Plains. In 1862 he was appointed member of the Advisory Board with headquarters at Jacksonville, this State. Mr. Dailey was married August 19, 1841, to Jane M. Kibler, daughter of Michael and Catherine (Lawrence) Kibler, of North Carolina, and has had born to him two children: Mary Catherine, wife of Alexander McCollister, and Jacob Kibler. The family are communicants of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Dailey is a prominent Mason; is a wide-awake, public-spirited citizen, and is always alive to the development of enterprise in his section of the country. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
DODSON, JOHN L.,
President of Oxford Male and Female College, Oxford, is a native of Georgia, and
was born April 10, 1837. His early life was spent on his father's plantation, in
his native State. His education was acquired at some boarding school, the County
Academy, and at Davidson College, North Carolina. He came to Alabama in 1860,
and at Jacksonville taught school one year. From Jacksonville, as professional
educator, he taught successfully at various places in this State and in Georgia,
during the period of the war. After the declaration of peace, he returned to
Calhoun County, and at Brock's school-house taught two years. In 1868, he
located at Oxford and, associated with Mr. W. J. Borden, founded Oxford College.
One year later he became sole owner and proprietor of this popular institution
of learning, and to it has since given his time and talents. Professor Dodson, as will be seen by this brief recital, has given almost
his entire life to the cause of education, and of him it may be truthfully said,
that that great cause has appreciated as much from his efforts as from that of
any one man. The success of Oxford College attests at once his superior ability
as an organizer, disciplinarian, and educator, and the people of this vicinity
are justly proud of him and his institution. July, 1883, Professor Dodson, at
Oxford, led to the altar Miss Fannie S. Gladden, the accomplished daughter of
James A. and Martha (Kelley) Gladden, of this place. The Professor and his wife
are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is identified with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic fraternity. Samuel and Rebecca (Gardner) Dodson, the parents of the subject of this
sketch, were natives, respectively, of Green and Morgan Counties, Ga. The senior
Mr. Dodson, a farmer by occupation, was born in 1788, and participated in the
war of 1812. He was partially reared in South Carolina, and spent a portion of
his early manhood in Mississippi. His father, Joshua Dodson, was a native of
Virginia, and his grandfather came from England. He reared a family of six sons
and four daughters. One of his sons, James W, now a farmer in Texas, took part
in the Florida War and the Confederate War; another son, Joshua M., was in the
Confederate service during the late war as quartermaster in the
Trans-Mississippi Department. He died in Texas. Christopher C., another son, was
in the Mexican War from Texas, as a lieutenant, and during the late war
commanded a troop of Indians from Arizona. He died in Tucson, Ariz. The fourth
son, Samuel P. died in Texas; Elijah M. was major of the First Confederate
Georgia Regiment, and is an attorney-at-law at Chattanooga, Tenn., and George W.
was in the Fifty-first Alabama Regiment, and is a farmer in Georgia.
The Gardner family, in the person of the grandfather of the
subject of this sketch, Christopher Gardner, on account of political troubles,
came from Ireland away back in the eighteenth century, settled in Virginia, and
was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and was severely wounded at Brandywine.
He died in Georgia, after having reared a large family of daughters and two
sons. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith
& De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
DU BOSE, REV. ROBERT
HARRIS, JOSEPH W., born November 7, 1839, at Warrenton, Va., is a son of William and Elizabeth (Anderson) Harris, natives, respectively, of Talbot and Warren Counties, Ga. The senior Harris was a farmer until his marriage, when he was elected sheriff of Warren County, which office he held for two years. In January 1846, he located in Talbot County, entered into the merchandise business, and died there in June 1848. He served in the Seminole War. He reared three sons and three daughters, viz: Sarah, William, Joseph, Mary, Martha, and Thomas. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. The grandfather of our subject, Henry Harris, came to Georgia as one of the earliest settlers of that State, about the year 1800. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the common schools at Fayetteville, and at the age of seventeen began his business career as clerk in a general merchandise store of that town, which position he held six months, after which he spent three years at Montevallo. September 10, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company E, Twenty-sixth Alabama, and participated in the first battle of Fort Gibson, the battle of Baker's Creek, siege of Vicksburg, the battle of Missionary Ridge, campaign from Dalton to Atlanta, the battle of Nashville, and the last fight at Bentonville, N. C. In 1863 he was commissioned third lieutenant of the regiment, and at Dalton, in 1864, was promoted to second lieutenant, and shortly after, at Palmetto Station, Ga., was again promoted, to first lieutenant. He was captured at Tupelo, Miss., in December, 1864. After the war he returned to his home and engaged in farming, and in the fall of 1865, accepted a position with the Alabama & Tennessee River Railway, in the capacity of agent, express agent, and telegraph operator. In the fall of 1872, he went to Birmingham, as express agent, thence to Montevallo, in 1873, where he engaged in merchandising, and in 1876 went to South Alabama, and merchandised two years. In December 1881, he came to Cross Plains, as telegraph operator for the East Tennessee Railway, where he has since continued to live. In connection with the railroad business he is running a hotel. In December 1861, Mr. Harris was first married to Martha J. Wilson, daughter of Henry Wilson, of Columbiana, Ala., and has had born to him seven children, three of whom are now living: Rolling, of Talladega; Ernest, clerk and book-keeper, of Burkville, Ala., and May. Mrs Harris died in November 1881, and in February, 1884 Mr. Harris was married to Nannie Jones, of Cave Springs, Ga., and to this union two children were born: Jones and Albert. Mr. Harris is a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife is of the Congregational Methodist Church. He is of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Pythias. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
HILL, THOMAS CARTER, prominent Physician and Surgeon, son of Thomas H. and Miranda (Gregory) Hill, natives, respectively, of the States of Virginia and North Carolina, was born in Green (now Hale) County, this State, November 14, 1830. After acquiring a thorough preliminary education at some of the leading colleges of the State, he, at the age of nineteen, began the study of medicine, and pursued it successively through medical institutions of learning in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia, graduating from Jefferson Medical College, in the latter city, in 1860. Early in 1861, young Hill enlisted as a private soldier in the Fifth Alabama Regiment, and was in a short time promoted to Assistant-Surgeon. In 1864, after having followed the fortunes of his regiment through its various campaigns, he was transferred to the Valley District of Virginia, as Medical Director, with the rank of a full Surgeon, and remained in that department to the close of the war. Returning to Alabama, at the close of hostilities. Dr. Hill first located at Dayton, Marengo County, in the practice of medicine, and remained there until 1884, at which time he moved into Oxford. Since coming here, he has devoted his time to real estate and other business enterprises, to the exclusion of the profession. As a physician. Dr. Hill stood very high. He was, probably, as well taught in the science of material medica as any man in Alabama. Not satisfied with the most thorough training possible at the finest institutions of learning in America, he, in 1870, studied arduously under the greatest instructors in Europe; and it is to the loss of the profession, that he has withdrawn from the practice. Dr. Hill was married in Marengo County, May, 1870, to Miss Margaret Lee, daughter of Columbus W. and Elizabeth (Parker) Lee, and has had born to him five children: Columbus L., Thomas C, Margaret, Myra C. and Harry. The Hon. Columbus W. Lee, native of Georgia, was many years a member of the Alabama Legislature, and was one of the most prominent men of his day. He was a Pierce and King presidential elector in 1852 and a Douglas elector in 1860. He opposed secession and canvassed the State for Douglas, although he went with his State in her subsequent efforts in behalf of the Southern Confederacy. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1865, and made the race for Congress that same year against Joseph W. Taylor, and was beaten. He was an original speaker and the master of thought and sarcasm. He died in 1868. Thomas H. Hill, father to the subject of this sketch, migrated in early manhood to North Carolina, there married, and in 1812 settled in Green County, Ala., where he became an extensive planter. He reared a family of two sons and three daughters. He died in 1860, at the age of seventy-eight. His father, Joseph Hill, was a native of England, and came to America prior to the Revolution and settled in Culpeper County, Va. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
HUGHES, ROBERT F., born in Calhoun County, Ala. is a son of John T. and Mary T. (Brown) Hughes, natives of South Carolina. The senior Mr. Hughes came to Alabama in 1832, and settled near Weaver's Station, where he engaged in farming. He represented Calhoun County, in its early history, as a member of the Legislature. He reared three sons and seven daughters, of whom William J. T. died in the war; John W., of Atlanta, served through the war and was in prison at Fort Delaware two years. Mr. Hughes was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and died in 1875, at the age of seventy-four years. His widow, who is still living, moved to Cross Plains. The Hughes family are originally from Ireland. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. He was engaged in farming up to 1879, when he entered mercantile business, which he has conducted successfully ever since. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
LAIRD, DR. ORVILLE D., born in Columbus, Ga., January 20, 1840, is a son of Dr. Orville P. and Nancy (Dyer) Laird, natives of Oneida County, N. Y. Doctor Laird was reared in New York; received an academic education, and at the age of nineteen years began life as a clerk. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Ohio Regiment, with which command he served three months, and then joined Company C, One Hundred and Sixteenth New York Infantry. In 1863 he was promoted to the Quartermaster's Department at Nashville, and early in 1865 was commissioned lieutenant of light artillery. He was mustered out in July of the latter year. In 1839 Mr. Laird was graduated as M. D. from Ann Arbor, and after the war practiced in Tennessee, locating at Clinton in 1866. In November 1869, he engaged in the railroading and furnace business. In 1884 he was appointed United States Commissioner for the District Court, Northern District of Alabama, and in 1886 came to Cross Plains. Dr. Laird was married October 25, 1865, to Mary C. Stevens, daughter of Rev. R. M. and Nancy (King) Stevens, natives of Tennessee. They have had born to them three children: Harvey, George Edgar, and James G. The Doctor and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Dr. Orville P. Laird, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a practical dentist. He spent the winters in Georgia, and the summers in New York up to 1857, after which he lived in Ohio and Michigan in order to be more convenient to his business interests. He reared four children, and died at Adrian, Mich., in 1886. The Laird family originally came from Scotland. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
McCLELLEN, ELISHA D., born near Jacksonville, Ala., October 24, 1847, is a son of Samuel D. and Deborah (Price) McClellen, natives of East Tennessee. The senior Mr. McClellen came to Alabama with his parents in 1834, and settled in Talladega County. In 1844 he removed to Calhoun County, where he was engaged in farming, he represented the county in the Legislature one term, and assisted in removing the Indians from the State. He died in December 1887. The McClellens are descendants from Scotland. The Price family came from Ireland. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received an academic education. He worked on a farm until 1868 when he came to Jacksonville, where he was engaged in mercantile business with his father. In 1883 he was engaged in the livery business for a short time, and in January, 1884, came to Cross Plains, started in the millinery business, and subsequently engaged in general merchandising. In 1887 he was running a brick business in connection with farming and merchandising. In January 1874, Mr. McClellen was first married to Dollie Barron, of Jackson County, and had born to him one child. Mrs. McClellen died in 1878, and in December 1886, Mr. McClellen was married to Sallie Glover, of Cherokee County. Mr. McClellen is a member of the Baptist Church and is also a prominent Mason. His wife belongs to the Presbyterian Church. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
MOODY, MARTIN T. was born at Belmont, Sumter County, Ala., November 4, 1845, and is a son of Theophilus and Mary L. (Little) Moody, natives respectively of South Carolina and Georgia. The senior Mr. Moody moved with his parents from South Carolina to Mississippi. In 1831 he came to Alabama and joined the Alabama Conference in 1832 at Tuscaloosa, of which he was one of the original organizers. He lived in Alabama until his death, which occurred at Gadsden, March 13, 1879. His wife died at Gainesville, Ala., in 1854. He reared two sons and two daughters. viz: William R., Martin T. (our subject); Fannie A., wife of Milton Jenkins, Camden, Ala.; and Sarah E., wife of George W. Caldwell, also of Camden. Mr. Moody was one of the pioneer preachers of this State, and was a very popular and well-known man. The mother of our subject was a daughter of William Little, a leading attorney of Carnesville, Ga. He was a prominent and wealthy citizen, and died about the close of the war. The subject of this sketch was reared in Alabama and educated principally at Summerfield, Dallas County. In the spring of 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-eighth Alabama, as a private, and served until health failed. From an attack of brain fever, he lost his hearing and was detailed in the niter mining service as a clerk in which capacity he remained until the close of the war. At the close of hostilities he returned to Camden, where he served as Clerk of the Probate Court four years, going thence to Selma, and served four years in the Probate Court of that County. In 1873 he came to Cross Plains and engaged in the drug business, which he has continued ever since, with marked success. September 15, 1869, Mr. Moody was married to Sarah E. Scurry, daughter of Dr. John R. Scurry of Cross Plains. They had born to them seven children, to-wit: Arthur R., May Louise, Anna, Lucy, Ida, Martin T., Jr., and Harry. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
NUNNALLY, REV. G.
ROBERTS, Rev. GEORGE
RUSSELL, REV. GEORGE
BRYANT, was born in Cherokee County, Ala., May 11, 1846, and is a son
of Rev. Samuel R (born in Virginia, January 22, 1801) and Nancy Ann (Gamble)
Russell, native of East Tennessee.
SAVAGE, ROBERT R., Judge of the Probate Court of Cherokee County, was born in Union District, S. C, September 23, 1831, and at the common schools of his native place acquired a fair education. He was married February 24, 1852, to Miss Louisa J. Geer, daughter of Willis and Cynthia E. (Hall) Geer, of Cherokee County, and from that date until 1869 was here engaged in farming. In the latter named year he was elected Tax Collector, held that office two terms, and in 1880 was elected Probate Judge, a position he has continued to hold, having been re-elected in 1886. February 1862, Judge Savage enlisted in Company E, Forty-seventh Alabama Regiment, and was elected first lieutenant. He resigned at the end of nine months, returned home, and soon afterward joined General Wheeler's escort, and remained in the service until the close of the war. Judge Savage is one of the substantial citizens of Cherokee County. He has reared a family of six children. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. James P. Savage, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in South Carolina, and in 1848 settled at the town of Goshen, Cherokee County, Ala.; from there in 1873 he moved to Cross Plains, Calhoun County, where he died in 1874. He reared a family of nine sons and three daughters. His father, James Savage, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his grandfather came from Europe. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
SHARP, CLAIBORNE A. was born in Iredell County, N. C. January 12, 1848, and is a son of Claiborne I. and Courtney A. (Johnson) Sharp, natives of the same county. The father of our subject was a farmer and stock-raiser; came to Alabama in 1854, and settled on a farm near Cross Plains, where he remained until 1868, when he entered into mercantile business. He reared five sons and six daughters, of whom are now living four sons and two daughters. Three of the four sons now living served in the late war. Our subject's grandfather was a farmer of North Carolina, and was of Scotch origin. He served in the War of 1812, and died in his native State. The maternal grandfather was also a farmer of North Carolina, and of English ancestry. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received a common school education. He enlisted in Company G, Third Alabama Cavalry, and in the fall of 1864 was in Wheeler's command. After the war he farmed until 1880, when he engaged in the livery business for one year, after which he purchased a half interest in his father's store. He is still in the merchandise business, and is very successful. Mr. Sharp was married in December 1869 to Miss Julia F. daughter of John Chancellor, of Cherokee County, this State. To this union have been born six children: Charles C, Oliver W, Mary G., Claude, Nellie D., and Annie H. Mr. Sharp and family are members of the Baptist Church. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
SMITH, JOHN F. is a native of Cleburne County, where he was born December 15, 1839, and is a son of John and Sarah Ann (Lambert) Smith. The senior Mr. Smith immigrated to Alabama from Georgia in 1833, and moved from Cleburne County to a point on the Tallapoosa River, south of Edwardsville in 1851, and there died in 1853, at the age of forty-two years. He reared two sons: the subject of this sketch and Samuel H. John F. Smith was reared on a farm; was educated at the common schools, and at the age of eighteen accepted a clerkship in a store. In 1858 he went to Wetumpka, and from there the year following to Talladega, where he engaged in business in partnership with J. B. Gay. This partnership lasted but a short time, when he sold out and resumed employment as a clerk. In 1861 Mr. Smith enlisted as a private in Company H, Tenth Alabama, and remained in the service until the close of the war. Soon after the battle of Dranesville he was promoted to third lieutenant, and when he left the service he held the rank of first lieutenant, and had been for some time in command of his company. From first to last he participated in many of the hardest-fought battles of the war, and was wounded three times. Returning from the war, he located at Selma, and from there, in 1866, came to Oxford, where he has since made his home. In 1869 he moved upon his farm, at Boiling Springs, and from that date has given most of his time to agriculture. He was married in 1869, to Miss Augusta G. Caver, daughter of Thomas J. and Eliza (Davis) Caver, and has had born to him four children: Kate E., Nannie Gay, Carrie Lee and Thomas F. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
SNOW, CLARKE, Merchant,
Oxford, was born at this place July 5, 1846, and is a son of Dudley and
Priscilla (Munger) Snow. He was reared on the farm, and at Howard College and
the schools of Talladega acquired a fair English education. At the age of
twenty-one years, at Selma, he accepted a situation in a mercantile
establishment, remained there one year, returned to Oxford, and with C. Snow
& Co. embarked in the grocery business. In 1870 he formed a partnership with
C. J. Cooper in mercantile business, and from 1871 to 1874 devoted his time to
farming. In the latter year, associated with James Stewart, under the style and
firm name of James Stewart & Co., he engaged in the leather and carriage
business. This firm was dissolved in December, 1882, since which time Mr. Snow
has conducted the business alone, and has been thereat quite successful. In
addition to his mercantile business he is largely interested in various other
enterprises. In the fall of 1863, Mr. Snow entered the Fifty-first Alabama
Cavalry, and, though not an enlisted soldier, he participated with that command
in the battles of Maryville, Rockford, and Knoxville. In May, 1864, he regularly
enlisted, and thereafter took part in the battles of New Hope Church, Kenesaw
Mountain, Rome, and the battles around Atlanta. At Decatur, Ala., he was
wounded, and at Salt Creek participated in his last engagement. He was married,
November 26, 1868, to Miss Roxy C. Elston, of Davisville, and the children born
to this union are: Corinne, Ada, Ruth, Maxie, Norman, and Mary.
TATE, AUGUSTUS WALTER, educator, was born February 2, 1861, at Arbadioochee, Cleburne County; son of Thomas James and Martha Susan (Watson) Tate, the former born near Jacksonville, Calhoun County, who lived at Arbachoochee; served in the C. S. Army, in Lee's army in Virginia, Longstreet's corps. Hood's division, under Capt. Denman, Forty-fourth Alabama regiment, was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness and again in May,1864, and surrendered at Appomattox Court House, 1865; grandson of Cooper Bennett and Nancy (White) Tate, who lived at Carnesville, Ga., the latter living in Calhoun County, before her marriage, and of John B. and Mary (Furlow) Watson, who came from Milledgeville, Ga., to Alabama in 1844. The Tate's descended from Anglo-Saxon stock; the great-great-grandfather Tate came from England with his brother before the Revolutionary War, ran away from home when he was fourteen years of age, and joined the revolutionists at Green Mountain. The great-great-grandfather Watson came from Holland before the Revolution and settled in Carolina. Mr. Tate's early education was obtained in the rural schools. For his professional education, he studied systems and methods of some of the old European countries, and formulated his own methods. He taught in the rural schools in 1880, attended the State normal college at Florence, 1881-1885, and was graduated in the latter year. After his graduation, he resumed teaching. He founded the Baptist collegiate institute at Newton in 1898, beginning in a two-room building with twenty-six pupils, and remained principal of the school for many years. He is a Democrat and a Baptist Married: (1) to Katherine Barnes, daughter of Willam H. Barnes, a. paper manufacturer at Detroit. Mich.; (2) to Florence Victoria Stanford, daughter of James Polk and Elizabeth Ellen (Bolin) Stanford, who lived at Crews, Lamar County; granddaughter of James Stanford and great-grand-daughter of William Stanford, who emigrated from Ireland to Georgia, and whose ancestors on her mother's side were descendants of the Ann Bolin family and settled In North Carolina before the Revolutionary War. Children, by first marriage: 1. Thomas Barnes, d. in infancy; by second marriage; 2. Katherine Belle, 3. Nellie Claire; 4. Augusta Mae; 5. Lygla Lee; 6. Mary Ellen; 7. Ouida Maude, deceased; 8. Augustus Walter, jr.. deceased; 9. Annie Florence, deceased; 10. Samuel Franklin; 11. Alfred William. Residence: Newton. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol IV, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
TATUNS, JOHN W. was born in Calhoun County, Ala., in 1835, came into Cherokee County in 1868, and in January of that year married the widow of M. J. Alexander, a daughter of Dr. William and Rebecca W. (Parker) McElrath. Mr. McElrath was born in Spartanburg District and his wife in Tennessee. The Doctor graduated in medicine from the Cincinnati Medical College, and in 1836 located in Coosa County, Ala. In 1839 he came into Cherokee County, and settled within three miles of Centre, where he practiced medicine until 1837. In that year, his wife's health having become impaired, he gave up his practice and turned his attention to farming. The Doctor was a public-spirited man, noted for his charity, and for his interest in the general good of his neighborhood, he died in 1885 at the age of eighty-seven years, leaving a large estate. His wife had died the year before. His father was a native of Ireland. John W. Tatuns at his death, in 1884, left three children: Samuel C, Leonora I., and Westly S. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a highly respected citizen. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
THOMASON, ROBERT P.,
Merchant and Banker, Oxford, was born in Harris County, Ga., December 21, 1851,
and is the son of John Thomason, a planter, who came to Alabama in 1853, lived
in Tallapoosa County till 1868, and removed thence to Elmore County, where he
VANDIVER, JEDU WELLINGTON
VANDIVER, JOHN HARRINGTON
WEST, REV. SAMUEL P.
WHITESIDE, WILLIAM W.,
prominent Attorney-at-law, Oxford, is a native of what is now Calhoun County,
this State, where he was born February 13, 1858. His early life was spent on his
father's plantation and in attendance at the old-field school, completing his
education, however, at Oxford College, from which institution he was graduated
in 1879. Prior to his graduation he taught school and, in the meantime, read
law. He completed his law studies at Cumberland University, Tenn. in 1881, and
located immediately in the practice at Oxford, where he has since remained. In
the practice of his profession he has met with much success, and, though a young
man, he is at this time regarded as one of the brightest lights at the Calhoun
Bar. In 1881 he was elected to the lower house of the Legislature, and in that
body took a conspicuous part, acquitting himself with much credit and to the
entire satisfaction of his constituency. Mr. Whiteside was married at
Alexandria, December, 1884, to Miss Alice Cooper, the accomplished daughter of
W. P. Cooper, Esq., and has had born to him two children: William Cooper and
Kenneth Whittington. Mr. Whiteside and wife are members of the Presbyterian
Church, and he is identified with the order of the Knights of Honor and the
WILLIAMS, ABNER, Merchant,
Oxford, was born in Jefferson County, this State, November 21, 1824, and his
parents were Jordan and Edna (Atkins) Williams. He was reared on his father's
farm, attended the old-field schools, and in 1844 began life as a school
teacher. The year following he accepted a clerkship in a store at Talladega, for
which service he received, at the beginning, five dollars per month. He remained
with that concern three years, another firm three years, another one year, and
for his last year's labor received $375. In 1853, at Curry's Station, he began
business for himself, and in 1855 removed to Selma, where he was engaged in
cotton business until 1862. At the close of the war he returned to Selma from
Talladega County, resumed his old business, and was there until 1884. In August
of that year he came to Oxford and engaged in the millinery business.
December 23, 1852, Mr. Williams was married to Agatha A. Heacock, daughter of
Dr. Joseph D. and Rachel M. (Garner) Heacock, of Talladega County; and of the
six children born to them we have the following data: Curry E., Emma R. (widow
of H. A. Singleton), Mollie E. (wife of Dr. B. D. Williams, of Utah Territory),
Joseph, Albert. Abner J. P., and Lillie B.
WILSON, WILLIAM A., Postmaster at
Cross Plains, was born in Campbell County, Ga., October 24, 1832, and is a son
of Craven and Lucinda (Langston) Wilson. The senior Mr. Wilson was a native of
Virginia, from which State he removed into North Carolina, thence to Hall
County, Ga. In December, 1832, he migrated to Alabama and located about four
miles east of Cross Plains. He was a farmer, and at his death, which occurred in
1875, he was the possessor of about 1,200 acres of land. He reared five sons and
two daughters, to-wit: William A. (the subject of our sketch), John J,, Daniel
S. (deceased), Jerry C, Benjamin C. (who died in his youth), Nancy E.
(deceased), and Mary Ann Croft (deceased). All of the sons served in the war
between the States. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were communicants of the Episcopal
Church. The Langston family were of German descent.
| ALABAMA STATE PAGE CALHOUN COUNTY PAGE NATIONAL SITE |
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails
Full Rights Reserved for original submitters.