ALSTON, LEMUEL JAMES, a Representative from South Carolina; born in the eastern part of Granville (now Warren) County, N.C., in 1760; moved to South Carolina after the Revolutionary War and settled near Greens Mill, which soon became the town of Greenville; studied law; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Greenville; member of the State house of representatives, 1789-1790; elected as a Republican to the Tenth and Eleventh Congresses (March 4, 1807-March 3, 1811); moved in 1816 to Clarke County, Ala., and settled near Grove Hill, where he presided over the orphans’ court and the county court from November 1816 until May 1821; died at “Alston Place,” Clarke County, Ala., in 1836. Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present; transcribed by A. Newell.
BLOUNT, WILLIAM ALEXANDER, lawyer, state senator, was born Oct. 25, 1851, in Clarke County, Ala. He was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, Mo.; in 1872 he graduated from the University of Georgia with first honors; in the following year graduated from the law department of that institution; and has received the degrees of A.B., LL.B. and LL.D. In 1873 he began the practice of law in Pensacola, Fla.; and in 188494 was city attorney. In 1885 he was a member of the constitutional convention of Florida; and in 1892 was chairman of the revision committee of the Florida statutes. In 1893 he declined the appointment to the Supreme Court of Florida; and in 1902 he served as a member of the Florida state senate. In 1900-04 he was president of the Pensacola chamber of commerce. Source: Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by Therman Kellar
BONEY, G.L. is a native of Alabama, where he was born June 11, 1829, in Clark county. He is a son of K. Boney, who was born in North Carolina, in 1802, and who was of German descent, being a son of James and Penny Boney. Mr. K. Boney was reared in North Carolina until nearly grown, when he removed with his parents to Alabama. He received a limited education in North Carolina. In 1825 he was married to Keziah Collins Green, a native of South Carolina, who came to Alabama when about two years of age. To them were born nine children, seven of whom are living. They were named Anilia Jane; James, who died before grown; Green Livingstone, our subject; Margaret M.; James Robert, Eliza Mary; Amelia Anna; Kinsie Lewis; Rachel Keziah (deceased). K. Boney was a farmer and always lived a quiet life. He removed to Lauderdale county, Miss., where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1867, his wife having died in 1845.
G.L. Boney received a good common school education and began life for himself in January, 1850. Coming to Hinds county, he engaged in managing a plantation near Jackson, Miss., where he remained four years. He then assumed charge of Joe Davis' plantation in Warren county, Miss., with whom he remained four years. December 31, 1857, he was married to Mrs. Martha E. (Cocke) Pierson, a native of Hinds county, Miss. In 1858 our subject removed to Madison parish, La., where he took charge of L.P. & J. Culverson's property, with whom he continued two years. He was employed in managing the levee contracting until 1860, when he removed to property he had purchased on Big Black island, which he still owns. In 1862 he entered the army in Company K, of Abbey's battery of the first Mississippi artillery. He served until the close of the war and was in the battle of Plain's Store and siege of Port Hudson, La., near Mobile, where he was captured, was recaptured at Blakely, taken prisoner and taken to Ship Island, where he was kept prisoner until the close of the war. He was also in the siege of Port Hudson, and was once wounded by a spent ball. During the war, the family of G.L. Boney refugeed in eastern Mississippi. He had accumulated considerable property and owned a number of slaves, and after the war he was obliged to begin anew. He purchased a small place in eastern Mississippi, and sent his family, which consisted of his wife and two small boys, there for a time. He soon returned to Madison parish, and for a year engaged in managing a plantation, and then engaged in planting for himself. In 1868 he rented land in Duck Port, where he remained about one year, when he purchased a portion of the Culverson property, consisting of about 300 acres. In January, 1870, he purchased Duck Port plantation, where he now resides. This plantation consists of 660 acres. He also the owner of 450 acres at Harris Field, 200 acres at Paw Paw island, and Big Black island, which contains several thousand acres. He makes cotton his principal crop, his plantation yielding from 500 to 700 bales. He raises also corn and potatoes, shipping large quantities to northern markets, shipping to St. Louis, Kansas City and Chicago. In 1890 he shipped about 2,500 barrels of potatoes. He also raises quite a goodly number of horses and mules each year for his own use. Richard Kinsey Boney, the son of our subject, was born on Culverson plantation in 1858, while his father was manager of that place. He attended the Virginia Military institute and graduated from there in 1878. He is an attorney at law, receiving his legal education at the University of Louisiana, where he graduated in 1880. He practiced a few years in Madison parish, and then removed to St. Paul, Minn., where he practiced for four years, until 1890, when he removed to the new town of South Bend, Wash. James Green Boney was born in Clinton, Hinds county, Miss., in 1860. He has attended several good schools, Cooper Institute, Sewanee, Tenn., Radolph-Macon college, Virginia, and the Virginia Military Institute. In 1881 he married Miss Emma Patrick, of Danville, Va. To them have been born two children, named Green Livingstone, Jr. and May. James G. resides on his father's plantation. Augustus Pierson was born on February 14, 1849. He was a son of Mrs. Boney by her former marriage. He was educated in the common schools and at an excellent school at Milligan's Bend. He met his death by accidental drowning in the river, in 1885. G.L. Boney, in 1877, was appointed police juror of the Third ward of Madison parish and served one term. In 1870 he was appointed postmaster at Duck Port, and has held that responsible position ever since. Politically he is, and always has been a conservative democrat. He is not a politician in the ordinary sense of the term, but takes a keen interest in the political affairs of the parish and state. He was a strong, active and efficient opponent of the Louisiana state lottery, and of all other forms of gambling, and has rendered important service in their abridgement or suppression in this locality. He has recently been appointed police juror of the Second ward, Madison parish, a fitting recognition of his high character and ability. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
FORSTER, Dr. JAMES G. - .....Laura, the elder child of Jeremiah H. Brown, was married in 1853, to Col. H. S. Lide, a successful farmer and aide-de-camp to Governor Shorter during the war, but he resigned that position and took one of more active service in the army. He died in 1879. His widow was married October 5, 1880, to Dr. James G. Forster, of Livingston, where they now reside. She had five children by the first marriage, of whom three are sons and two are daughters. Mrs. Forster is a stanch Baptist.
Dr. Forster was born in Clarke County. Ala., in 1826. He merchandised in his younger days, studied medicine and graduated at the University of Louisiana at New Orleans in 1856, and has practiced medicine ever since. The Doctor was married in 1847 to Miss Eliza M. Gilmore, and had five children by that marriage, two sons and three daughters, one of whom is dead. One of the three daughters is married to Samuel Ruffin, Jr.; one son, W. C. Forster, is practicing medicine in Birmingham, and James M., the youngest, is with a commercial house in Meridian. Dr Forster is a Methodist, and a Mason. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
JONES, JAMES S.
James S. Jones -To be numbered among the substantial and progressive citizens of Taylor, Texas, is James S. Jones, who, although a native of Alabama, has been identified in a prominent manner with this part of the Lone Star state since the year he attained his majority. A former successful educator, he forsook the school room for business and is now one of the foremost insurance and real estate dealers to be encountered in Williamson county. He was born in Clark county, Alabama, June 16, 1847, and received his educational discipline in the schools of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Mr. Jones' parents were Charles and Martha B. Jones, natives of Alabama. When Mr. Jones was an infant six months old he had the misfortune to lose his father, and when he was a very young man his mother died.
As was the case with most of the young men of his day and generation, the early years were disturbed by the shadow of the approaching Civil war. The question which had been debated on thousands of platforms, which had been discussed in countless publications, which thundered from innumerable pulpits, and had caused in their congregations the bitter strife and dissension to which only cases of conscience can give rise, was everywhere pressing for solution. Although very young at the beginning of the war, Mr. Jones was high-spirited and very loyal to his section, and as soon as possible, which was toward the close of the war, he entered the Confederate army and served to the end.
As previously mentioned, Mr. Jones began his civilian career as a teacher. In 1866, when about nineteen years of age, he came to Washington county, Texas, and two years later became a citizen of Williamson county. His pedagogical experience was of twelve years' duration, and it was his distinction to teach the first grammar school of Taylor when A. E. Hill was superintendent.
In 1890 Mr. Jones engaged in real estate and has climbed steadily up the ladder, his present business, which is largely in the insurance line, being of wide scope and importance. He owns a fine farm of four hundred and fifty acres situated near town, where he grows cotton and corn. He is public spirited, and in evidence of the confidence in which he is held by his associates is the fact that he served as city alderman for fifteen years. He is prominent in Texas Masonry, which he joined in January, 1872, and has been master and high priest, as well as holding other offices in that august order. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which he has been identified for thirty-three years, and at present he holds the office of trustee and steward. He extends liberal support to all the good causes promulgated by the church body and can indeed be relied upon to give his hand to all worthy measures. In 1885 he became one of the organizers of the Taylor Savings and Loan Association, and he was its first secretary and treasurer, continuing for more than eight years as such, and since about 1904 he has been president of the association. This association is one of the strongest of its kind in the state.
Mr. Jones was married in Alabama in 1875, the lady to become his wife being Miss Dorliska Lambard, a native of Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Jones became the parents of two children, both of whom are deceased. A son, Charles L., was born in 1880, was educated in the Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas, and practiced law at Snyder, Texas, where he died in 1906. A daughter, Ruby E., became the wife of A. E. Dabney, a druggist of Taylor, Texas, and died in 1906, leaving a little son, Eugene. (A History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 2, Compiled by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Published by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
KILPATRICK, HON. JOHN Y. -
This successful and prominent lawyer of Camden, Wilcox county, Ala., was born in Rowan county, N.C., January 18, 1835, a son of Rufus H. and Eliza (Young) Kilpatrick, both natives of Rowan county, also, and of Scotch-Irish extraction, their ancestors having been among the early settlers of the county named. Rufus H. Kilpatrick, a graduate of Hampden-Sidney college, Va., came to Alabama, with his children, in 1844, his wife having died in her native state some short time previously. He first located at Dayton, then moved to Clarke county, and finally settled in Conecuh county, where he ended his days, about the year 1858. He was a school teacher of recognized ability, and under him, his son, John Y., enjoyed splendid educational advantages, and attained to a classical education. John Y. Kilpatrick himself became a teacher at the age of seventeen, and thus earned the means to defray the expenses of his legal education under a private preceptor. In 1860 he was a sub-elector on the Breckinridge ticket. April 1, 1861, he was mustered into the Confederate service, as a private, for the war, refusing a commission, but in September, of the same year, without his solicitation, was commissioned first lieutenant of cavalry, and, in a short time after, was promoted to the captaincy of company I, Adams' regiment of cavalry, and served with this rank until the termination of the struggle. During this period of the service he was elected, in 1863, to the state legislature from Clarke county, and, in 1863-64, passed a month each year in the house, in full military uniform. In 1860, he had refused to act as a delegate from Clarke county to the secession convention, and, at the close of the war; refused to act in the same capacity in the reconstruction convention. In 1865, however, he consented to represent the district composed of Clarke, Monroe, and Baldwin counties, in the state senate. In 1866, he moved to Camden, Wilcox county, and continued to represent his district in the state senate until ousted in 1868 under reconstruction legislation, since which time he has ignored public office, although he is still an active and prominent democrat. Capt. Kilpatrick has large landed interests in Wilcox and other counties, which he rents, and also carries on farming to some extent himself, while at the same time he allows no detail of its extensive legal practice to escape his personal attention. Capt. Kilpatrick has been four times married. His first bride, Miss Carleton, died during the late war, a month after her wedding day; his second wife was a Miss Phillips, of Dallas county, Ala., who became the mother of two children, and with them passed to the grave; this third wife was also a Miss Carleton, a cousin of his first, who died four years after marriage, leaving two children, who yet survive; the present wife is a sister of the third, and has borne four children. Capt. Kilpatrick was an elector on the Tilden and Hendricks democratic ticket in the fourth congressional district in Alabama, in 1876. Source is "Memorial record of Alabama : a concise account of the state's political, military, professional and industrial progress, together with the personal memoirs of many of its people" by Taylor Hannis ; Madison, Wis.: Brant & Fuller, 1893 - Transcribed by Kim Mohler
LEWIS, AARON, soldier of the American Revolution, aged 75, and a resident of Clarke County; private S. C. Continental Line; enrolled on April 20, 1833, under act of Congress of June 7, 1832, payment to date from March 4, 1831; annual allowance, $53.33; sums received to date of publication of list, $160. — Revolutionary Pension Roll, in Vol. xiv, Sen. Doc. 514, 23rd Cong., 1st sess., 1833-34. He resided in Pike County, June 1, 1840, aged 80.— Census of Pensioners, 1841, p. 149. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LEWIS, AXIOM, soldier of the American Revolution, aged 75, resided in Clarke County, June 1, 1840, with William R. Hamilton.— Census of Pensioners, 1841, p. 149. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
MURPHY, JOHN, governor of Alabama, was born in Robeson county, N.C., in 1786; son of Neil and --------(Downing) Murphy, and a grandson of Murdoch Murphy, who emigrated form Scotland with his wife and children. He removed to South Carolina with his parents, taught school and was graduated at the University of South Carolina in 1808. He was clerk of the state senate, 1810-17, and a trustee of the University, 1809-18. He settled in Monroe county, Ala., in 1818 and was a member of the convention which framed the state constitution in 1819. He was admitted to the bar, but soon retired from practice and turned his attention to planting. He represented Monroe county in the legislature in 1820, was a state senator in 1822, and was Democratic governor of Alabama, 1825-29. He was defeated as the Union candidate for representative in the 21st and 22d congresses, 1828 and 1830, by Dixon H. Lewis, and was a Union Democratic representative in the 23d congress, 1833-35. He was married first to the daughter of Robert Hails of South Carolina and secondly to Mrs. Carter, a sister of Col. John Darrington. He died in Clark county, Ala., Sept. 21, 1841.(Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
NEWMAN, James Bryan, lawyer; born Grove Hill, Clark County, Ala., December 19, 1870; son James A. and Annie Elizabeth (Boroughs) Newman; English descent; educated Grove Hill Academy, Newtown Academy and University of Alabama, 1889, LL.B.; married Lilah McDaniel of Livingston Ala., November 19, 1901; Past Chancellor of Highland City K. of P. Lodge No. 45, Talladega, Ala.; representative to Grand Lodge K.P. of Alabama, sessions 1895-6; member Judiciary Committee Grand Lodge K. of P. of Alabama, 1896; member Grand Tribunal K. of P. of Alabama, 1897-9; member Talladega Lodge No. 30, I.O.O.F.; County Solicitor Clark County, Ala. 1889-91; County Solicitor Talladega County, Ala. 1892-3; Special Probate Judge Talladega County, Ala. 1896-7; Chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee Davidson County, Tenn. 1906-08; member Baptist church. Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler
PRICE, T. W., teacher, was born about 1808, in Virginia. He accompanied his father to Alabama, 1817, and made his home with James Magoffin, Magoffin's store, Clarke County. His father went on to Mobile and died there. Mr. Price clerked in the Magoffin's store until 1829, attending school at the same time. At the age of twenty-one, he began teaching at Grove Hill; attended the school taught by William C Dickinson, at White Hall, Marengo County; taught near Linden for two years; spent the year, 1832, in travel through Virginia; returned to Linden where he taught for one year and the following year took charge of a new academy in connection with Richard Dickinson; farmed in Marengo County, 1835-40; took charge of the academy at Dayton, at the same time keeping the hotel, 1840-49; opened a new school in Creagh's neighborhood, 1849, and remained there until 1851; taught at Rehoboth, Wilcox County, 1851-61; was admitted to the bar, and also to practice in the supreme court, 1859; practiced alone, 1861-68, when he formed a partnership with R. C Jones, of Camden, which continued until 1871; was appointed claim commissioner, August, 1864, by the Confederate congress; elected judge of the new court of Wilcox County, 1871, and continued in this office until its discontinuation, in December, 1873. He was married in 1835 while in Virginia and to this union children were born. Last residence: Rehoboth.
[History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie (Bankhead) Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
RAWLS, JAMES BENJAMIN, lawyer and probate judge, was born at Suggsville, Clarke County; son of John Franklin and Lucretia Jaqueline (Davis) Rawls, the former a native of Harris County, Ga., later a resident of Mobile; grandson of William and Frances (Dancy) Rawls of Harris County, Ga., and of Shugan Ransom and Mary (Sorsby) Davis of near Ransom's Bridge, Halifax County, N. C, the former served in the War of 1812, from North Carolina, stationed at Norfolk, Va.; great-grandson of William and Amy (Ransom) Davis, of North Carolina, and of Benjamin and Susan (Davis) Sorsby, the former was of English descent, and served in the Revolutionary Army, enlisted in Nash County, N. C, under Capt. Jacob Turner's company, 3rd North Carolina infantry regiment, commanded by Col. Jethro Sumner. He received his early education in private schools in Mobile and at Summerville institute, Noxubee County, Miss. He read law by a correspondence course and entered upon the practice, having successfully passed an examination before the presiding judge of the circuit court of Washington County, 1905. He has served as notary public and justice of the peace several years; was county commissioner two terms; probate judge one term, and elected tax commissioner of Washington County, 1907, an office he still holds. He was a member of the home guard of Mobile at the close of the War of Secession, having been taken prisoner at the capture of Mobile and held until Lee's surrender at Appomattox. He is a Democrat, Methodist, and Mason. Married: February 4, 1873, near Columbus, Ky., to Ruth Morrison, daughter of Edwin Ruthven and Harriet Magruda (Brown) Ray, of that place; granddaughter of Col. Peter W. and Susan (Ray) Brown of Lebanon, Ky., and Dennis and Nancy (Hayes) Ray of Clinton, Ky. Children: 1. Carrie L., m. John C Maclay, Moss Point, Miss.; 2. Harriet M., m. William R. Leon, Deer Park; 3. James B., Jr., unmarried, Lucedale, Miss.; 4. Mary D., m. Dr. Warren D. Ratliff, Lucedale, Miss.; 5. Ellen H., unmarried, St. Stephens; 6. Ruth R., md. Samuel E. McGlathery, Chatom; 7. Dennis B., Mobile; 8. Robert M., Francis, Okla.; 9. Fletcher H., St. Stephens; 10. Antoinette, St. Stephens; 11. Louise D., Mobile; 12. Edgar D., St. Stephens; 13. Ebenezer T., St. Stephens. Residence: St. Stephens. [Source: History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - Submitted by AFOFG]
RHODES, WILLIAM J.
William J. Rhodes, Merchant, Talladega, was born at Mobile, November 9, 1832, and was reared and educated at Talladega. In early life he learned the carriage-maker's trade, and was engaged in that business at the outbreak of the late war. In April, 1862, he joined Company G, Thirty-first Alabama, was made orderly sergeant, and remained in the service until the close of the war. He was at the battle of Chattanooga and the siege of Vicksburg; at Kingston, N. C, and in General Smith's Kentucky campaign. He was promoted to first lieutenant, and was a captain at the close of the war. He surrendered at Salisbury, N. C.; returned to Talladega, and from there to Calhoun County, where he followed farming four years. In 1872 he again came to Talladega, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he has since followed, with much success. He was appointed Tax Collector of this county in 1876, and held the office one year. He was married March 22, 1855, to Miss Sarah A. McLean, daughter of William McLean, Esq., one of the early settlers of this place.
M. G. and Mary A. J. (Arrington) Rhodes, the parents of William J. Rhodes, were natives of the States of Georgia and North Carolina, respectively. Mr. Rhodes was a carriage-maker by trade. He came to Alabama and settled in Clark County in 1831. He shortly afterward moved to Mobile, where he was in the carriage business until 1836. From there he moved to Morgan County, and in 1839 to Talladega County. He came into Talladega City in 1841, and was here in the carriage business until 1855, when he engaged with the Southern Express Company, and remained with them until his death, which occurred September 30, 1885. He reared five sons, four of whom were soldiers in the Confederate Army during the late war. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
SHIELDS, BENJAMIN GLOVER was a planter in this county for a number of years. His father, Mr. Samuel B. Shields, came to Clarke county from Abbeville, South Carolina, during its first settlement; and if he was not a native of Clarke he passed his childhood there. He entered public life as a member of the legislature from this county in 1834, and was several times re-elected. In 1841 he was elected to congress on the “general ticket” of his party, and served a term. During the term of President Polk he was the diplomatic representative of the United States to Venezuela. A few years later he removed to Texas, and has taken an active part in politics there within the past two or three years. He was, while here, a man of handsome appearance, and captivating address. He was “an active, ardent, and well informed politician, and while he resided in this State was an earnest and influential democrat, and an effective and popular speaker.” Source: "Alabama, her history, resources, war record, and public men : from 1540 to 1872"; by Willis Brewer; Montgomery, Ala.: Barrett & Brown, 1872 - transcribed by Kim Mohler