Heflin, Alabama


Submitted & Transcribed by Eric Stack
Source: Cleburne County Chamber of Commerce
Heflin Street Scene 1930-45
By Boston Public Library [CC BY 2.0or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

History

- Coordinates: 33°38′38″N 85°34′58″W

- Land: 16.1 sq mi Water: 0.2 sq mi | Population(2010): 3,480 Density: 216.9/sq mi

- Established in 1882 with a population of 75-100 people

- Ross family owned much of present day Heflin

- Heflin was named in honor of Dr. Wilson L. Heflin

- Incorporated on December 10, 1886 – Corporate limits reestablished in 1892

- Started thriving as a trading center in 1892

- Economy majorly supported by cotton crops, huckleberry business also thrived late 1800s to early 1900s

- 1883 public steam gin was built

- 1885 gristmill added

- Ross Institute established in 1885 – Located at corner of Willoughby St(near Smalltown Bank)

- 1909 Cleburne County Board of Education sold bons to build new high school at corner of Burns and Evans St

- Ross Institute eventually became Cleburne County Elementary

- Two hotels located in Heflin 1891 – Summit House and Edmondson Hotel

- 1889 Atkins and Owens opened

- 1902 Wright Drug Company opened

- 1905 Bank of Heflin was established

- 1906 Heflin became new county seat

- 1911 “Cleburne News” was established

- 1920s and 1930s two new hotels were established – Central and Alexander

- Completion of Highway 78 brought paved streets and public water

- First municipal building destroyed by fire, 1932 a new building was brought forth also destroyed by fire in 1952. Present building erected in 1953.

ALABAMA STATE PAGE     CLEBURNE COUNTY PAGE     NATIONAL SITE
 
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails
Full Rights Reserved for original submitters.