Cleburne County

Alabama

History Data

HOME

 

Water Mills for Cleburne County in 1886

Alabama As It Is - by Benjamin F. Riley - 1887

Cleburne County - by Smith and DeLand - 1888

 


CLEBURNE COUNTY

This county was created in 1866, and named in honor of Genera. Patrick R. Cleburne, of Arkansas. Though abounding in natural resources, the county is not as fully developed as some others in the same region. Since the construction of a Railroad throughout the county, giving its productions a ready outlet, it is winning to itself a thrifty population, and in many ways the merits of Cleburne are coming more and more to be recognized and appreciated. Great inducements exist in the county for capitalists and immigrants, as its mines are stored with rich ores, and its lands abound in fertility. The county has an area of 540 square miles.

Population in 1870, 8,017; population in 1880, 10,976. White, 10,308; colored, 668.

Tilled Land—51.428 acres. Area planted in cotton, 9,156 acres; in corn, 21,552 acres; in oats, 5,672 acres; in wheat, 7,504 acres; in tobacco, 85 acres; in sweet potatoes, 221 acres.

Cotton Production—3,600 bales.

Cleburne has a varied surface. In the northern end of the county there are rugged hills and mountains, with intervening valleys of fertility. These valley lands are of a reddish hue, as is true of most of the lands of this character, in this and the northern portion of Alabama. The lands which lie along the ridges are of a light, grayish color. But few of the mountain lands have ever been cultivated, as the residents of the county have never felt the necessity of leaving the level for the higer districts.

Along the slopes, however, there are good farming lands with yellow subsoil. The remainder of the county is covered with either red or grey lands, except in the creek and river bottoms, where the soil partakes largely of sand. In the western portion of the county there is a sparser population than in any other section, because the lands are regarded as the least fertile. Cleburne has many fertile valleys, which are mostly devoted to the production of corn, though some cotton is planted. Along these valley stretches arc some of the best farms in the county. The lower portion of Cleburne abounds in red fertile lands.

The productions are corn, cotton, wheat and oats, with minor crops of great importance. The soils are admirably suited to the production of apples and peaches. The clovers and grasses are found to thrive with great readiness, and hence, stock-raising is gradually receiving more attention. The county has many forests of excellent timber, the chief growth of which are white, red and Spanish oaks, short and long-leaf pine, walnut, hickory and gum. For many years a gold mine has been successfully worked at Arbachoochee. The same ore is also found near Hightower. In different parts of the county, copper, mica, slate, graphites, pyrites, zinc and kaolin, are found prevailing. Iron deposits also exist. Silver has also been discovered. These await capital in order to be properly developed.

The supplies of water in every portion of Cleburne are unfailing, as it is penetrated by such streams as the Tallapoosa River, and Terrapin, Muscadine, Cane, Shoal, Cahulga, Chulafinnee, Dying and Lost Creeks. All these are sustained by numerous tributaries, which contribute further to the supply of water.

The places of greatest importance are Edwardsville, the county-seat, Heflin, Arbachoochee and Chulafinnee.

At Edwardsville there is a High School of local note, and at Heflin there is an Institute, both of which are well conducted and handsomely sustained. Other good schools are found in different parts of the county.

The channels of transportation are, the Georgia Pacific Railroad, and the East and West Railroad—the former a magnificent thoroughfare, giving an outlet to each of the cities of Anniston and Atlanta.

The Alabama Land and Mineral Company own about 40,000 acres of land in Cleburne, which can be purchased at remarkably low figures. Besides these, there is a great deal of government land in the county still untaken, there being 50,000 acres. Lands can be purchased from resident owners for from $2 to S10 per acre.

Source: Alabama As It Is by Benjamin Franklin Riley, D. D., 1887 , Transcribed by C. Anthony.  


 CLEBURNE COUNTY.

Population: White, 10,308; colored, 668; Area, 540 square miles; Woodland, all. Metamorphic, 400 square miles. Coosa Valley, 140 square miles. Acres - In cotton (approximately), 9,156; in corn 21,552; in oats 567; in wheat 7,504; in tobacco 85; in sweet potatoes 22l.  Approximate number of bales of cotton, 4,000.

County Seat - Edwardsville; population, 600; on Georgia Pacific Railroad. Newspapers published at County Seat - Cleburne County News (Democratic), Standard (Democratic).

Post-offices in the County - Abernathy, Ai, Arbacoochee, Beecham, Bell's Mills, Belltown, Borden Springs, Chulafinnee, Cicero, Cold Water, Edwardsville, Grantly, Heflin, Hightower, Hooper's Mills, Kemp's Creek, Lecta, Micaville, Muscadine, Oakfuskee, Oak Level, Oak Lone, Palestine, Rosewood, Shoal Creek, Solomon, Stone Hill.

This county was formed in 1867 from portions of Calhoun, Talladega and Randolph Counties, and named for the lamented General Cleburne, who fell in the forefront of the famous battle at Franklin, Tenn., in 1864. Though abounding in natural resources, the county is not as fully developed as some others in the same region. Since the construction of two railroads through the county, giving its productions a ready outlet, it is winning to itself a thrifty population, and in many ways the merits of Cleburne are coming more and more to be recognized and appreciated.

Great inducements exist in the county for capitalists and immigrants, as its mines are stored with rich ores, and its lands abound in fertility. Cleburne has a varied surface. In the northern end of the county there are rugged intervening valleys, of fertility. These valley lands are of a reddish hue, as is true of the most of the lands of this character in this and the northern portion of Alabama. The lands which lie along the ridges are of a light or grayish color. But few of the mountain lands have ever been cultivated, as the residents of the county have never felt the necessity of leaving the level for the higher districts. Along the slopes, however, there are good farming lands with yellow sub-soil. The remainder of the county is covered with either red or gray lands, except in the creek and river bottoms, where the soil partakes largely of sand.

In the western portion of the county there is a sparser population than in any other section, because the lands are regarded as less fertile. Cleburne has many fertile valleys, which are mostly devoted to the production of corn, though some cotton is planted. Along these valley stretches are some of the best farms in the county. The lower portion of the county abounds in red fertile lands.

The productions are corn, cotton, wheat, and oats, with minor crops of great importance.

Near the line of the East & West Alabama Railroad in this county, a very extensive bed of manganese has been opened, the property of State Senator Hon. W. J. Alexander and a Jacksonville land company, and has been pronounced by scientific assayists to be of most excellent quality.

The soils are admirably suited to the production of apples and peaches. The clover and grasses are found to thrive with great readiness, and home stock raising is gradually receiving more attention. The county has many forests of excellent timber, the chief growth of which is white, red, Spanish and post oak, short and long-leafed pine, walnut, hickory and gum.

For many years a gold mine has been successfully worked at Arbacoochee. The same ores are also found in other places in the southern portions of the county. In different parts of the county copper, mica, slate, graphite, pyrites, zinc and kaolin are found prevailing. Iron exists in great abundance, and silver has also been discovered . These await capital to be developed.

The supplies of water in every portion of Cleburne are unfailing, as it is penetrated by such streams as the Tallapoosa river, which runs diagonally through the county from northeast to southwest, and such streams as Terrapin, Muscoaline, Cane, Shoal, Chulafinnee, Cohulga, Dying and Snake and Lost Creeks. All these are sustained by numerous tributaries which contribute further to the supply of water.

The places of the greatest importance are Edwardsville, the county seat, Heflin. Oak Level, Chulafinne and Arbacoochee.

At Edwardsville and Heflin there are high schools of local note. Other good schools are found in different parts of the county. The channels of transportation are the Georgia Pacific Railroad, and Edwardsville is about midway between Atlanta and J5irmingham. The East & West railroad, running from Centerville, Ga., to Birmingham, runs through the north end of the county, and runs near an inexhaustible deposit of excellent roofing slate. Another important railway line is being constructed through the county from Carrollton, Ga., to Decatur, Ala., by way of Oak Level, in this county. A large area of Government lands is yet on the market, which can be had under the homestead law.

Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


 WATER MILLS OF CLEBURNE COUNTY IN 1886 

Source: Bulletin, Geological Survey of Alabama, by Truman H. Aldrich, 1886 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney

 

The following is a list of the water powers that are utilized.  The most of these powers are small, but they make a

 large aggregate, and they represent only an insignificant part of the power that is capable of development.

 

CLEBURNE COUNTY.............................................................................. ....... H.P.

J. T. & E. W. Beason. Beasons Mill, flour and grist mill........................................... 10

W. M. Evans, Edwardsville, flour and grist mill ........................................................ 20

Robert Mill. Oaklevel. flour and grist mill ................................................................. 16

Teague & Co.. Eudora. flour and grist mill ............................................................... 13

H. F. Alsabrook, Borden Springs, flour and grist mill ............................................... 30

Buttram's Mill. Bucham. flour and grist mill .............................................................. 20

John A. Brown, Bell Mills, flour and grist mill ........................................................... 16

John I. Burgess, Edwardsville, flour and grist mill ..................................................... 20

Wade H. Barnes, Muscadine, flour and grist mill ........................................................ 4

J. W. Conner, Chulafinnee, flour and grist mill ............................................................ 6

Lyon & Killebrue, flour and grist mill....................................................................... 34

W. G. Miligan. Oakfuskee. flour and grist mill............................................................ 8

James McMahan, Edwardsville, flour and grist mill.................................................. 12

E. W. Pitchford. Oaklevel, flour and grist mill.......................................................... 15

William J. Thrash, Oakfuskee. flour and grist mill ....................................................... 6

Wade H. Barnes. Muscadine, flour and grist mill ...................................................... 30

W. H. Tumlin & D. S. Baber. Ai, flour and grist mill ................................................ 16


Home

Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2014
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor