ALLISON, FRANK M.
Cuthbert, Georgia - FRANK M. ALLISON, of Cuthbert, Ga., was born in Harris County, Ga., December 10, 1842. His father, Green A., was born in Jones County, Ga., in 1808, but moved to Harris County at an early date, where he lived until 1849. He then located in Coosa County, Ala., where he died July 4, 1866, at the age of fifty-eight years. He was a farmer by occupation and a highly respected citizen. He served in the Indian war of 1836 in Florida, under Gen. George Nelson. His wife, Jane F. (Scott) Allison, is a native of Putnam County, Ga., and a descendant of Gen. Winfield Scott. Frank M. was reared on the farm in Alabama. In 1862 he joined the Confederate service as a private in Company C, Second Alabama cavalry and soon afterward was elected lieutenant of the company, and was in command the greater part of the time. At the close of the war he was left with nothing, and he was compelled to go to work at anything he could find to do to make an honest living. He worked at the carpenter’s trade at Verona, Miss., until 1866, when he went to Cuthbert, Ga., and clerked in stores until 1871. Through his industry and economy he then had a small capital to start business, which he accordingly did. His business has prospered well since that time. December 16, 1869, he was married to Miss Ellen Slaughter, daughter of Bradley and Emma (McGrooder) Slaughter. Mr. Allison is a member of the F. & A. M. and the Baptist Church. [Source: Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889 - Transcribed by LA Bauer]
BAGGETT, MRS. ALICE,
Educator, born in Soccapatoy, Coosa county, Ala., 184-. Her maiden name was Alice Phillips. On her mother's side she is descended from the Scotch families of Campbell, McNeill, Wade, and Hampton, of Virginia. On her father's side her ancestors were the Dowds and Phillipses, of North Carolina. Her father, James D. Phillips, was a Whig who clung to the Union and the Constitution, doing all that lay in his power to avert the Civil War. Alice, just out of school, was full of the secessionist spirit, but a strong advocate of peace. Her early desire to enter the profession of teacher was opposed by her parents, but she resolved to follow her inclination, when, at the close of the Civil War, her family shared in the general desolation that lay upon the South. She became a teacher and for several years made successful use of her varied attainments. In 1868 she was married to A. J. Baggett, continuing her school work after marriage. In a few years her husband became an invalid and Mrs. Baggett then showed her mettle. She cared for her family of three children and assisted her brothers and sisters to get their education. Her husband died in 1875. Since that time she has served mainly as principal of high schools in Alabama. She has done much work for the orphans of Freemasons, to which order her husband had belonged. Wherever she has worked, she has organized, systematized and revolutionized educational matters. She now resides in St. Augustine, Fla., where her work is highly successful. Her family consists of one surviving daughter. [Source: American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897, Submitted by Marla Snow]
GOZA, Miss ANNE
Humorist, born in Hatchett Creek, Ala., 4th July, 1872. Her home has always been in her native town, excepting the time spent in school. Although one of the very youngest of the rising writers of the South, Miss Goza has already acquired a wide reputation as a writer of humorous and dialect stories. She has chosen the dialect of the people of the Alabama mountains, and she has made skillful use of that peculiarly interesting jargon. She is a regular contributor to the Burlington "Hawkeye," the Atlanta "Sunny South," the Cleveland "Plain Dealer," the New Orleans "Times Democrat," and many other prominent journals. Her success has been marked and remarkable. She is a prolific writer, and in the quaint people around her she has abundant-material for her future work. She is distinctly original, and her sketches record much that will be of interest to the future students of American folk-lore. She has published one volume, "The Fall of Queen Prudence." [Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Submitted by Marla Snow ]
GRAHAM, Judge EVANDER MCNAIR
JUDGE EVANDER MC NAIR GRAHAM, of Ruston, Lincoln parish, La., is a native of Coosa (now Elmore) county, Ala., and was born September 18, 1836. The Graham family is directly descended from Scotch ancestry, and both of Judge Graham's grandparents were of the same strain. His paternal grandfather was Archibald Graham, and his maternal grandfather was John P. Graham, both of whom came to North Carolina about 1790. The former married a Miss Patterson of that state, and the latter married Miss Jeanette McNeil. Thomas B. Graham, Judge Graham's father, was the eldest son in a family of three sons and three daughters, whose father removed from North Carolina to Florida about 1822, and thence to Coosa county in 1834. While a resident of Florida, the father of our subject went back to North Carolina and there married Miss Isabella A. Graham, a distant cousin. In 1835 he removed to Coosa county, Ala., accompanied by his mother, brothers and sisters, his father having died about ten years before. He became a successful planter, and as he was well educated and very intelligent, he was a prominent man in his time. He was noted for his sterling, Christian character. His brothers were all professional men. Dr. George B. Graham was a man of prominence as a physician and surgeon. He died at Marianna, Fla., in 1855, aged about forty-five years. John Graham was educated in Alabama and removed to Woodville, Tex., in 1850, where he practiced his profession, attorney at law, until his death, which occurred in 1852. He was a brilliant young man and his future seemed unusually promising. Dr. H.P. Graham was a graduate of the Charleston school of medicine and a successful practitioner in Shelby and Talladega counties. Judge Graham's maternal uncles were all farmers, save one who was a teacher and all were men of the highest character, prominent in the communities in which they lived. Judge Graham moved to Union parish with his mother in 1853. He was the oldest of four children - three sons and a daughter - and his two brothers and sister are all dead. His sister, Mrs. J.A. Manning, left one daughter, now Mrs. Belle Hurd, wife of W.W. Hurd, of Union parish, who, except Judge Graham, is the only representative of their family. Judge Graham received his early education in the common schools and academies of Alabama and Louisiana. In 1857 he entered Centenary college with the intention of completing the course of that institution, but owing to sickness that came upon him a short time after he became a student there, he was obliged to abandon this laudable purpose. He attended a high school at Jackson parish, and afterward taught school and studied law under the tuition of John L. Barrett and Hon. H. Reganburg, of Union parish. He was prepared for admission to the bar at the meeting of the supreme court, July 1, 1861, but in that month he enlisted in Company E of the Twelfth Louisiana regiment as orderly sergeant, with which organization he was mustered into the confederate service. He served during the entire period of the war in General Johnston's army and greatly distinguished himself. Before leaving Camp Moore he was promoted to a lieutenancy and for some time afterward served as an adjutant of his regiment, and upon the reorganization of the army in 1863, he was elected captain of his company at Columbus. In 1864 he was appointed lieutenant-colonel of his regiment of which he was in command at the time of the surrender at Greensboro, N.C. After the close of the war he returned to Louisiana via Alabama. In November, 1865, he married Miss Florence Townsend, of Talladega county, Ala. He was admitted to the bar at Monroe, La., in July, 1866. He devoted himself principally to farming during that year however. In February, 1867, he located at Vernon, where he entered upon the practice of his profession, and soon acquired a good patronage. In 1872 he was elected parish judge of Jackson parish, in which office he served with great credit for two years. He was next elected state senator to represent the Nineteenth Senatorial district composed of the parishes of Jackson and Union, and bore a prominent part during the legislation of the McEnery and Kellogg regimes. He was elected judge of the Fifth Judicial district, composed of the parishes of Jackson, Union, Lincoln, Bienville and Claiborne, and served in that capacity for four years in that district and for four years thereafter in the new districts composed of the parishes of Union, Claiborne and Lincoln. The administration of the affairs in his important office gave the greatest satisfaction to the legal profession and to the people, and he was solicited to become a candidate for re-election in 1884, but refused to do so, and since that time he has been located at Ruston, actively engaged in the practice of his profession. For some years he was associated with G.L. Gaskins, who died in 1888, when Judge Graham formed a partnership with J.B. Halstead, their firm being known as Graham & Halstead. In 1886 Judge Graham was a candidate for congress with a strong support in the convention. He has five children - four daughters and one son - all of whom are members of his household. He has long been a member and officer in the order of Free Masons and is an active member in the Presbyterian church, with which his family has been connected through several generations, or since its establishment. During the last year Judge Graham has been urged to offer himself again as a candidate for the office of district judge. Solicitations, repeated and strong, have poured in upon him to accept a nomination. A state senator, who is conversant with the sentiment of the people, says: "I think they would be delighted to vote for a man in whom they have implicit confidence and one who would enforce the law without fear or favor and I know they have the utmost confidence in your fearless and impartial manner of dispensing justice." This sentiment is not confined to the political leaders of the district, but finds a ready echo among the people; so that the chances for Judge Graham's resumption of his old position on the bench are favorable indeed. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
MORRIS, JOHN ROBERTSON
John Robertson Morris was born in Coosa County, Ala., June 7, 1842, and removed to Texas with his parents in February 1847, and settled in Rusk County. Entered the Confederate service in the company of Capt. Foscue in 1861, then in company B, 14th Texas dismounted cavalry, composing one of the requirements of Ector's Texas brigade in the Army of Northern Tennessee. Was with Bragg in the Kentucky raid, Murfresboro, with Joe Johnston in the Georgia campaign, and at Spanish Fort. During Hood's return from the fatal battle of Franklin and his retreat from Nashville, young Morris was conspicuous as a gallant soldier. Ector's brigade was a part of the force of Gen. Pa. Cleburn's division, and he was with his command during the great struggles in which the contending forces made their regiments worthy of the cause for which they fought. He has been married twice, first Miss Martha A. Pinkerton, the second, Miss Ellen Ford. A gallant Confederate soldier, a prominent farmer and leading citizen of his county. He lives East of Tyler. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson - Transcribed by Cheryl Quinn)
TATUNS, JOHN W.
John W. Tatuns was born in Calhoun County, Ala., in 1835, came into Cherokee County in 1868, and in January of that year married the widow of M. J. Alexander, a daughter of Dr. William and Rebecca W. (Parker) McElrath. Mr. McElrath was born in Spartanburg District and his wife in Tennessee. The Doctor graduated in medicine from the Cincinnati Medical College, and in 1836 located in Coosa County, Ala. In 1839 he came into Cherokee County, and settled within three miles of Centre, where he practiced medicine until 1837. In that year, his wife's health having become impaired, he gave up his practice and turned his attention to farming. The Doctor was a public-spirited man, noted for his charity, and for his interest in the general good of his neighborhood, he died in 1885 at the age of eighty-seven years, leaving a large estate. His wife had died the year before. His father was a native of Ireland. John W. Tatuns at his death, in 1884, left three children: Samuel C, Leonora I., and Westly S. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a highly respected citizen. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor