An Early History
of Crenshaw County by Joe Sport - 1957
- From Northern Alabama by Smith and DeLand 1888
An Early History of Crenshaw County
by Joe R. Sport, 1957
Transcribed by K. Torp
[Transcriber's Note: Some
really obvious typos found in the original have been corrected -
otherwise, all other spellings were maintained]
History of The Formation of Crenshaw County
Crenshaw County, located in south
central Alabama in that section of the state known as the timber belt,
is a relatively new county. It has been termed a "Reconstruction County"
as it was created by a legislative act on November 24, 1866.
through the efforts of William H. Chapman, a representative to the state
legislature from Covington County in 1866-7, that the act which
permitted parts of Butler, Pike, Coffee, Lowndes, and Covington Counties
to be taken and used in the formation of Crenshaw County was passed.
Chapman introduced the measure for the creation of the county and
vigorously supported it in the state legislature until it was
moved to Crenshaw shortly after it became a county and studied medicine
in Rutledge. After receiving his medical license he moved to Leon in the
southern part of the county where he practiced medicine for a number of
years before moving to Coffee County near Elba where he died.
act of establishment of the county, named Felix Jordan, George W.
Thaggard, Thomas Mahone, J. D. Chapman, and Adam Benhow as Commissioners
to hold an election for county officials and county seat on the first
Monday in March 1867.
Two places, Barber's Cross Roads and
Fuller's Cross Roads were voted upon to decide which would be selected
as the site of the county seat. Barber's Cross Roads received the
greater number of votes, and was thus declared the county seat. The name
of the village was changed to Rutledge, being named in honor of Captain
Henry Rutledge, Commanding officer of Company C, 59th Alabama Infantry,
who gave his life for the confederacy at Drewry's Bluff.
first county officials to be elected were George W. Thaggard, Probate
Judge; John R. Snow, Sheriff; Francis Cody, Circuit Clerk ; W. T.
Massey, Tax Assessor; James M. Lawerence, Tax Collector.
Northey was the first senator to represent the county in the state
legislature in 1868. He was followed the same year by William Mastin,
the first senator the people of the county voted for since becoming
citizens of a new county, who represented the county until 1870. In this
year W. P. Calloway was elected as senator and in 1871 he became the
first citizen of the county to be elected to the state legislature as
representative, serving a two year term in 1871-2.
after becoming a county in 1866, was involved in its first state
constitutional convention in 1867. She sent as her representative the
capable James H. Howard.
On May 11, 1893 , after a popular
election in which the change was approved, the county seat of Crenshaw
was moved from Rutledge to the new and enterprising town of
Luverne, later to become the leading town of the county,
is located in the central part of the county on the Patsaliga River near
the site of an old Indian village. The land where the town was built was
at one time part of the Cody plantation. Luverne was named after the
wife of M. P. LeGrand of Montgomery who had purchased land in the county
for a railroad. In 1888 the Luverne Land Company was organized by S. D.
Hubbard, M.P. LeGrand, and George A, Folmar, J. O. Sentell surveyed the
land and made a plot laying out the streets for the town. Following this
in 1889 the town was incorporated under the laws of Alabama. An election
was held the same year in which J. O. Sentell was elected the town's
first mayor. The councilmen elected were Dr. J. R. Horn, G. W. Pope, G.
A. Folmar, and G. F. Kirkpatrick. The city clerk was R. P. Fundaburk,
and the Marshall was G. W.Turner.
The county of Crenshaw was
named after the Honorable Judge Anderson Crenshaw of Butler county.
Judge Crenshaw was born in South Carolina in 1776, spending his early
years there, and attending South Carolina College where he was the first
student to graduate. While still a young man Judge Crenshaw came to the
one time state capital of Alabama, Cahaba. He remained there for a
number of years in which time he spent twelve years as a member of the
Alabama Supreme Court. Leaving Cahaba Judge Crenshaw then settled in
Butler County where he became famous for his just interpretations of the
law. Always a fair and respected individual, Judge Crenshaw was honored
in 1866 by the people who remembered him and named Crenshaw County after
History and Early Settlers of The County
The early history of Crenshaw county
dates back prior to 1814 when that territory which now forms the county
was a part of the Creek Indian Confederacy. This land was used mostly be
Indians as hunting ground where they found an abundance of wild game,
especially deer, and turkey. Fish in the numerous streams were also
There have been many Indian remains found in the
county, especially along the banks of its streams.. Camp sites have been
found in several locations, but the only remains of a permanent village
site to be found in the county were found on the H.N. McLeod plantation
about two miles northwest of the present town of Glenwood.
the defeat of the Creek Indians at the hands of General Andrew Jackson
the territory which included Crenshaw county was ceded to the United
States by the Creek Indian Confederation in a treaty signed at Fort
Toulouse on August 9, 1814. Following this the land became a part of the
Mississippi Territory and remained in this capacity until 1817 at which
time Alabama was designated a territory. After Alabama achieved
statehood in 1819 the territory which now forms Crenshaw county was
divided between several of the surrounding counties until the
legislative act creating the county was passed in
significance to the county is the Old Three Notch Trail, a military road
which was to be used by General Jackson's troops. This road cut across
the lower portion of the county near the present site of Dozier. Also in
the northern portion of the county, passing near Honoraville, was The
Merriweather Trail which is believed to have been a road leading from
Greenville to Georgia which was used by military troops and early
In Crenshaw county is to be found one of the purest stocks
of English, Irish, and Scotch descendants to be found anywhere in the
United States. The people who settled the county were direct descendants
of the settlers of the original thirteen colonies. Most of them came
from South Carolina and Georgia settling first in other sections of the
state and later removing to Crenshaw county.
The rest of this
chapter is to be given to a discussion and biographical sketches of the
earliest families to have settled in Crenshaw county. As will be pointed
out, many of them came when the land was still a wilderness inhabited by
red men and wild beasts.
first man to settle in the county was Francis Daniel, who with his wife
came to Crenshaw from their former home in Montgomery county shortly
after 1820. Mr. Daniel and his wife settled near the present site of
Honoraville where he improved a farm and engaged in his occupation as a
planter. At the time of their settlement this part of the county was
nothing but a wilderness filled with Indians and wild animals. Mr.
Daniel, however, was friendly toward the Indians and found trading with
them to be very profitable for him and his wife who were miles from any
of their own people.
Settling in another portion of the county
shortly after Francis Daniel settled near Honoraville was John Cody who
was the first to settle near the present location of the county seat.
Luverne. Mr. Cody was, in fact, one of the earliest settlers of the
state. He came to Pike county at a very early date, and about 1825 he
and his wife removed to Crenshaw county where he had cleared a farm and
made a home for them. His son, Francis Cody, who later became the first
circuit clerk of the county, was born here in l829.
John Cody settled near Luverne, Richard Whitehead Horn settled at what
was later to become known as New Providence which is located near
Glenwood. Mr. Horn and his wife came here in 1826 when the nearest
neighbors were miles away, he and his newly wed wife were surrounded by
wild beasts and savages, but here in the forest Mr. Horn set to work to
build them a home, and to surround it with the comforts of life. Fish
and game were plentiful and a supply could be obtained almost any time
from the Indians in exchange for a few ears of corn. Trading with the
Indians became very important to the Horns, and many times when Mr. Horn
was away at work his wife would be startled to find a savage in the
house, face painted and armed, squabbling in his native language. Over
his shoulder he would have a wild turkey or string of fish. By holding
up the number of fingers he would indicate to her how many ears of corn
he wanted in exchange, for his prize, Here on their farm near the
Conecuh River the Horns remained until their death at ripe old
Another pioneer of the county who settled in the western
part of the county near the Butler county line was Joseph Ellington. Mr.
Ellington settled in this region when the only other inhabitants were
Indians, black bears, wolves, and wild animals. He improved a farm here
and pursued his chief occupation as a planter. Mr. Ellington also did
quite a bit of trading with the Indians in his
Following Joseph Ellington's settlement in the Western
part of the county John Bradley settled near the present site of the
Bradyleton post office in 1828. Here he improved a farm and engaged in
planting. John Bradley and his descendants played a very important role
in the development of this section of the county.
Also coming to
the Bradleyton and Helicon area in 1828 was Leon Thrower who improved a
farm adjoining the Bradley farm. Mr. Thrower is the father of Dr.
Stephen S. Thrower, who was born and reared on his father's farm, and
later became one of the best known men in the medical profession in
Following the Bradyleton settlement came the
settlement of the Leon community by the Merrills. In the winter of
1829-30 Jacob Merrill cleared and improved a farm near this community.
At about the same time his brother, William Merrill, came to the
community, and here in the wilderness near Patsaliga River the brothers
improved vast farmlands. Indians were numerous in their area at the time
of their settlement and the brothers being friendly with them engaged in
Indian trading as a sideline to their occupations as
Following these early settlements in the county during
the decade 1820-30 settlers continued to pour into areas until by 1870
the population of the county was 8950 whites, and 2206 Negroes, giving a
total population of over 11,000.
Some of the other families to
come to the county at early dates following 1830 were the Finleys,
Hawkins, Rhoutons, Baxters, Moodys, Brunsons, Benbows, Fonvilles,
Knights, Walkers, Moxleys, Morgans, Pendreys, Lowmans, and
To all the families I have mentioned and the others
that I am positive I have not uncovered does the credit for pioneering
and developing what is now Crenshaw County.
Slavery and The Civil War
Slavery in Crenshaw County did not
flourish as it did in the black belt counties and other sections of the
state. There were a few slaves and slaveowners in the county especially
in the central and northern part of the county, but in the southern
portion very few slaves were found, The greater number of slaves were
found in that section of the county known at that time as the Rocky
Mount District of Lowndes County.
The largest number of slaves
owned by any one family in the county in 1850 was thirty-five owned by a
Webb family in the extreme northern section of the county. A Tanner
family also of this section of the county in 1850 owned twenty-one
slaves, and the Saulter family near Luverne owned twenty slaves during
this same year.
Other slave owning families of the county were
the Perdues, Rhoutons, Summerlands, Jordans, Stringers, Codys, Daniels,
and the Ellingtons.
Lance Kendrick, a slave of a Kendrick family,
is still living and at present is residing near Brantley. Lance, who
adopted the sir name of his slaveowner is believed to be in the
neighborhood of 115 years of age and is still able to give some vivid
accounts of his days as a slave.
Since there were so few slave owners
in the county many of its residents were against secession, but when
their state seceded from the union they were loyal to it and supported
the cause of the Confederacy. (*Lance Kendrick died after this article
With the call for volunteers by President Jefferson
Davis of the Confederate States of America the men of Crenshaw County
responded in numbers. Almost every family name in the county was
represented in the Confederate army.
The following paragraphs are
composed of biographical sketches of soldiers from Crenshaw county who
served valiently in the army of the Confederacy; many of them giving
their lives for a cause they thought to be just.
B(?)AILY served in Company B of the 14th Alabama Infantry in
Virginia under Lee's command. He was wounded twice; once at
Fredericksburg, and again at Gettysburg. He was with Lee at Appomattox
when he surrendered to Grant.
BRICKEN had his first taste of war as a very young boy serving
in a company organized in Virginia to meet the raiders of Dahlgren.
Being too young to enlist in the regular army young Ben ran away from
home and enlisted without his father's consent in the 46th Alabama
Infantry under General Pettus. He fought at Lookout Mountain, Missionary
Ridge, throughout the state of Georgia, and was in the trenches at
Atlanta. After Atlanta he was with General Hood in North Alabama and
Georgia. He was discharged just before the end of the war when his
father discovered his whereabouts and requested he be sent
DR. WILLIAM T. BURGAMY joined Company B of
the 13th Alabama Infantry and served about eight months in the army of
Virginia. He later served as a lieutenant in Hilliard's Legion for a
short time and was discharged because of ill health. In 1864, he
reentered the army and served in North Alabama until the close of the
FRANCIS CODY joined Hilliard's Legion in
May 1862 and was in the Kentucky Raid when he lost his health and was
discharged in 1863 at Knoxville. He remained home a few months and then
re-enlisted in Loves Calvary, but was again discharged because of bad
health. After this he again tried to enlist in the 17th Alabama Infantry
but was turned down because of his health. Francis Cody had four
brothers to serve in the war; one, George W. of Company C, 59th Alabama
Infantry, died at Knoxville a few months after he entered service;
another, Martin McComb served in the South Carolina Command while
Colombus Jefferson served as a lieutenant in the 17th Alabama Infantry
and Jackson Van Buren served in the same unit from May 1861 until the
close of the war in 1865. A brother-in-law of Francis Cody, William P.
Harbin, saw service with the 59th Alabama Infantry for many months
during the war.
THOMAS F. DANIEL served in the
State Troops during the Civil War and operated in the Pensacola and Gulf
Coast areas. He had two brothers, Elisha J. who was in service
throughout the war, and Moses F. who was killed at the battle of
RANSOM L. DAVIS served in
Company A, 17th Alabama Infantry as a private soldier. He began
operations in the Pensacola area, but later moved to Tennessee where he
participated in the Battle of Shiloh. He was captured at Shiloh, but was
later released through a prisoner of war exchange and rejoined his
command which was then in the Mobile area. He later fought in Johnston
and Hood's armies in Georgia and was in the battle at Atlanta. Leaving
Atlanta he fought with General Hood in Tennessee and was again captured
at Nashville. He remained a prisoner of war until after the close of the
war. Ransom had two brothers to serve in the Confederate Army. One,
Thomas, gave his life in the way, and the other, James fought numerous
engagements with the army of Tennessee.
DR. EDWARD P.
DYER was in Company E, 56th Alabama Infantry, but was thrown
from his horse early in the war receiving injuries that resulted in a
discharge from service.
J. M. ELLINGTON served
in Company K, 17th Alabama Infantry for two years at Mobile. He later
was removed to Tennessee and fought under Johnston and Hood to
JOHN C. FONVILLE served at the
beginning of the war as first sergeant of Company B, 14th Alabama
Infantry. He enlisted in this unit in 1861 in Auburn and was discharged
in October of the same year. He later reenlisted and served in
Ferguson's Brigade in Tennessee and North Alabama. He was in the battle
of Atlanta and later with Presidents Davis' calvary escort which
surrendered along with the president at Washington, Georgia. John's
brother, Frederick Gibson, a lieutenant and adjutant of his unit, served
in Company B of the 14th Alabama Infantry and was killed in an explosion
at Petersburg. Another brother, Dr. James B. was in the 17th Alabama
Infantry and was captured at Atlanta. He remained a prisoner of war
until after the close of the war in l865.
GANEY served in Company E 56th Alabama Infantry Calvary. He
fought in numerous engagements in Mississippi and was involved in
several skirmishes against Sherman's army in his advance from Vicksburg
to Chattanooga. He was under General Joseph Wheeler in Georgia and the
Carolinas and fought several skirmishes with this calvary unit. At the
close of the war Mr. Ganey was with the calvary escort of President
Davis when he came south from Richmond. When the treasury fund of the
Confederacy was divided by President Davis in Georgia, he received for
his services a twenty dollar gold piece and five Mexican silver
JOHN W. HOLLOWAY served in Company E,
32nd Tennessee Infantry. He was in General Bragg's command in Tennessee
and was wounded in the Battle of Chickamauga.
HORN, a lifetime resident of Crenshaw County enlisted in
Company E, 56th Infantry Regiment, C. S. A.., 1861, and served until
Lee's surrender. He was one of eight brothers in service in the
Confederate Army, all sons of Richard W. Horn of New
MELVIN JETER enlisted in John C.
Brannan's Alabama company of independent scouts. He served in this
category until 1864, when he was detailed as a special scout serving
under both General Maury and General Forest. When the war ended Mr.
Jeter was on detail in charge of a wagon train which he surrendered at
DR. J.E. KENDRICK did not
participate in any engagements with the enemy during the war. He was a
cadet at the University of Alabama for two years during this period by
appointment of Governor Watts.
KNIGHT enlisted at the age of fifteen in Company K, 17th.
Alabama Infantry. He fought in the battle at Shiloh and continued
fighting with Johnston's army from Resasa down Kenesaw Mountain where he
was wounded and lost his left arm, thus ending his military career.
Lawrence had two brothers to serve in the Confederate Army in Hilliard's
Legion. One, Charles P., who was wounded once and fought in several
engagements during the war, and the other, Franklin, who was killed at
Appomattox on the morning of Lee's surrender.
LOWMAN served in Company C, 37th Alabama Infantry with the rank
of Sargeant. He was engaged in the battles at Corinth and Shiloh, the
siege of Vicksburg, the battle at Lookout Mountain, and the Battle at
Missionary Ridge, and the battle at Atlanta. At the Siege of Vicksburg
Mr. Lowman was taken prisoner, but was later released in a prisoner of
war exchange and, immediately rejoined his command. He was with General
J. E. Johnston when he surrendered his army at Greensboro, North
FREDRICK C. MCDONALD served in Company
C, 29th Alabama Infantry in Tennessee and Georgia. He was taken prisoner
at Nashville and remained in that capacity until after the close of the
war in 1865.
THOMAS L. MERRILL served in Company
C, 37th Alabama Infantry at the Siege of Vicksburg, and later at Lookout
Mountain and Missionary Ridge. He was with Johnston and Hood in Georgia,
and surrendered with Johnston in North Carolina. He had two brothers,
Green B. and Henry, who served in the Confederate Army. Green B. served
with the 37th Alabama Infantry throughout the war and Henry a lieutenant
in Company C of the 37th Alabama Infantry died at Columbus, Mississippi,
WILLIAM J. MERRILL served in Company F,
1st Alabama Calvary in South Carolina. He had a brother, James T., who
served in the same unit and was once wounded and another brother, Jacob
P., also once wounded, was a private soldier in the 37th Alabama
DR. DANIEL N. MOXLEY served as a
captain, and commanding officer of Company B, 25th Alabama Infantry. He
fought in both the battle at Shiloh and at Corinth. Shortly after these
battles he was discharged because of bad health.
PENDREY served in Company A, 6th Alabama Calvary. He fought
with Hood in all his engagements in Tennessee, and was with General
Forest when he surrendered at Meridan.
DR. THOMAS L.
QUILLIAN served in Company I, 1st Alabama Calvary for a short
time, and was then transferred to Company H, 59th I Alabama Infantry. He
fought at Chicamauga, Knoxville, and later with General Longstreet's
corps in Virginia. He was captured three days before Lee's surrender and
later released. His brother, Dudey A. Rutledge was a sergeant in the
59th Alabama Infantry. He fought in the Battle of Chickamauga, Dewry's
Bluff, and at Petersburg. Dudley was wounded at Dewrys Bluff and age in
at Hatchet Run. At the close of the war he was confined to a hospital in
GEORGE A. SANDERS served in Company I,
46 th Alabama Infantry; fighting in Mississippi against Grant and
Sherman and later with Hood in Tennessee. He became seriously ill while
near the close of the war he returned to his home.
A. SIKES joined the Confederate Army at the age of sixteen. He
was in several engagements in Tennessee and was later in Mobile area.
His brother, Captain John H. Sikes, commanding officer of a company in a
Florida regiment, was killed in Virginia in 1863.
STEPHEN S. THOROWER, along with five brothers served in the
army of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Dr. Thorower was a
sergeant in the 14th Artillery of Hilliard's Legion. He was in the East
Tennessee until after the Battle of Chickamauga, and then went to
Virginia where he was wounded and taken prisoner of Petersburg on April
3, 1865. One brother James, served in the 14th Alabama Infantry and died
at Richmond in 1862. Another brother, Benjamin F., one of the 1st
brothers of Dr. Thorower were all killed at Shiloh. The other three,
William M., who served in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at Richmond in
1864. Startling J., a sergeant in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at
Hatcher's Run, and George W., who served in the 59th Alabama Infantry,
was also captured at Hatchet's Run.
WALKER served in the 1st Alabama Artillery and a was captured
at Fort Morgan where he died while still a prisoner of war. One brother,
William H., served in the Army of Virginia while another, F.L., served
in the State Troops at Pensacola for a short time.
C. WHITE was a sergeant in Company C, 46th Alabama Infantry. He
was in numerous skirmishes in Tennessee and Mississippi and was captured
at Vicksburg. He was released in a prisoner of war exchange, and later
fought at Missionary, Ridge and numerous other engagements from Dalton
to Atlanta. He was with General Johnston when he surrendered his army at
Greensboro, North Carolina.
There were no major battles or small
skirmishes fought in Crenshaw County during the Civil War although Union
troops did pass through that portion of the county near the present site
of Honoraville. However, they did not do any damage side from raiding
pantries and smoke houses.
One incident of Federal troops passing
through this part of the county was related by Mr. (sic) J.N.
Pollard, grand-daughter of William Rhouton. It was told to her by her
older relatives that Union soldiers passed through this particular area
and visited the home of her grandfather, raiding his smokehouse and
carrying off all of the cured meat except that portion which they were
fortunate enough to hide before the arrival of the Federals.
from this small filtration of the county by the Union soldiers there
were no other incidents of them entering the county during the war. The
residents of Crenshaw county were fortunate in not losing their property
although many of their sons gave their lives for the Confederate States
TRANSPORTATION, EDUCATION, ECONOMY, AND COMMUNICATION
Transportation in Crenshaw County in those
years prior to the formation of the county was restricted to foot
horseback, horse and buggy, and mule and wagon. There were a few roads
in the county which led to the nearest villages where necessities were
to be obtained. All in all, however, transportation was very crude in
the county until after the Civil War.
In the years prior to 1860
there had been two railroads surveyed through the county. One, the
Mobile and Girard was not constructed, however, until several years
after the Civil war, and construction of the other, the Vicksburg and
Brunswick was never attempted.
It was not until 1887 that the first shipment by rail was made in
the county. This shipment of forty bales of cotton was made by W. E.
Bradley over the Alabama-Midland Railroad which was completed in 1888.
This railroad came from Montgomery via Sprague Junction terminating at
Luverne. Stations which were founded on this track in the county were
Lapine, Bradleton, Petrey, and Patsburg. A short time after completion
of the track to Luverne another track was laid connecting Rutledge with
this railroad at Julian junction just north of Luverne. A few years
later the Mobile and Girard Railroad was completed through the county.
The stations of the county along this track are Glenwood, Brantley,
Dozier, and Searight. Aside from these miles of track there have been no
other railroads in the county.
As I have mentioned in a previous
chapter the two earliest roads of any kind in the county were the Three
Notch Trail and The Merriweather Trail, but after the creation of the
county, and with the growth of villages and communities, railroads were
cut in the county and many roads were cleared. Evolving from these early
roads and railroads grew a useful if not commendable transportation
network within the county.
The citizens of Crenshaw county have,
since the earliest settlers, sensed the need for education. In the years
following 1840 the typical one room school house was found in almost
every settlement. Some of the elder schools in the county were founded
at Leon, New Providence, Rutledge, Honoraville, Sal Soda, Cook's Stand,
Probably the first secondary school in the county
was the Helicon Academy founded around the middle of the nineteenth
century. The high school at Searight following the Civil war was
probably the first high school in the county to offer classes in grades
one through twelve. This school was later moved to Dozier. Other early
high schools were the Vernledge High School, the Rutledge High School,
the Union Springs District High School at Luverne and the Luverne Free
During the latter half of the nineteenth(?) century the
county boasted the only college ever to exist in the county. The school
which became in its later years the Highland Home College was an
outgrowth of the old Barns School founded at Strata in 1856. Because of
the unhealthy climate the school was moved to Highland Home in l881 and
reestablished under the name, Highland Home Institute. It had its first
session on the first Monday of November 1881 with about 70 pupils
enrolled . Prof. J.M. Barnes was the President, Prof. Samuel Jordan,
Principal, and Col. M. L. Kirkpatrick was in charge of the Preparatory
Department. The building was a 50 x 100 foot wood frame building and the
campus consisted of 8 acres. Highland Home Institute was later chartered
the Highland Home College in 1889 and remained so until it closed its
doors in 1916 after providing the residents of Crenshaw County for many
years a place for higher education.
The economy of the county
prior to the later portion of the nineteenth century was almost wholly
dependent on farming. All the early settlers of the county were planters
and this remained their chief occupation although a few of them did
attempt to do a merchantile business on the side. A few engaged in
sawmilling, a few others in grist milling, and a very few in ginning,
but not until after the civil war were any of these expanded to any
Most of the merchandise bought by early inhabitants of
the county was purchased from either Troy, Greenville, or Montgomery. It
was not uncommon for people of a community to make trips often taking
two to four days to one of these villages on a mule and
Among the first merchants in the county were William
Merrill who engaged in merchandising for a number of years at Leon and
James Johnson who was the first merchant at Rutledge.
the county did not come until those years between the close of the Civil
War and the end of the nineteenth century. Five newspapers were
published in the county in the decade 1890-1900. Of those were the
Searight Beacon published at Searight, the Rutledge Wave and the
Gleaner, edited and published by Mathew Tucker in Rutledge and the
Luverne Enterprise and The People's Advocate also edited and published
by Mathew Tucker in Luverne. There was a quarterly magazine published
about this same time, but the name of the publication is not
Other newspapers published at one time or the other in
the county were The Brantley Reporter, Crenshaw County News, Crenshaw
County Critic, Crenshaw County Banner, The Luverne Democrat, The Bugle,
and The Luverne Journal.
From these early beginnings in the
different fields of economic factors Crenshaw County has continued to
grow and progress in hopes of building a better
Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land,
Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
Population: White, 9,500; colored,
2,000. Area, 660 Square miles. Woodland, all. Long-leaf pine upland, 435
square miles; oak and hickory uplands, 125 square miles; hill, prairie and
lime lands, 100 square miles.
Acres - In cotton (approximately),
27,000; in corn, 28,099; in oats, 5,208; in tobacco, 33; in rice, 25: in
sugar-cane, 294; in sweet potatoes, 558.
Approximate number of bales of
County Seat - Rutledge; population,
Newspaper published at County Seat
- Enterprise, Democratic.
Postoffices in the County - Aiken,
Argus, Best, Bradleyton, Bullock, Cook's Stand, Helicon, Honoraville.
Host, Johnson, Leon, Live Oak, Mount Ida, New Providence, Norwood,
Peacock, Rutridge, Sal-Soda, Saville, Vidette.
This county was formed in 1865, and
named for Hon. Anderson Crenshaw. It lies in that section of the State
toward which much attention is now being turned, because of its varied
resources and growing industries. Debarred the enjoyment of railroad
privileges, there has not been that spirit of enterprise and energy which
is warranted by the varied resources of Crenshaw.
In this county, as in all others in
this region, lands may be had at very moderate figures. Over-spread with
forests of splendid timber, both of pine and oak, they are destined to be
quite valuable, and yet may be bought in some sections for $1 per acre, in
others for $2.50, and in others still, for $5.
There are 24,500 acres of land
belonging to the general Government in Crenshaw.
Vast tracks of land may be
purchased at nominal prices, and the people would welcome immigrants of
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for