Welcome to Alabama Genealogy Trails

line
Hale County
Alabama
Biographies
line

Home
 

ABERNETHY, THOMAS YOUNG. Methodist minister, waa born October 13, 1851, at Spring Hill, Marengo County; son of William Henry and Susan Rebecca (Grayson) Abernethy, the former also a native of Spring Hill, a practicing physician for sixty-three years, local medical examiner for the Confederacy, on account of being a cripple was debarred from active service; grandson of Thomas Smith and Martha (Lucy) Abernethy, and of Young and Emeline (Moore) Grayson, all of Marengo County; great-grandson of Henry and Rebecca (Frith) Abernethy, who with the former's father, John Abernethy. Immigrated from Scotland to Brunswick County, Va. and of William James and Susan (Williams) Grayson. He received an old field school education and read medicine prior to hearing the call to preach. He taught school for three years In Wilcox County before receiving his license with the Itinerant Methodist ministry, 1873. In which he has served for forty-three consecutive years. He was for fifteen years a circuit rider, fifteen years on stations and eight in districts. He has been secretary of the Conference mission board for a number of years; Is a Mason and a Democrat. Married: April 19. 1876. to Lizzie, daughter of J. Leslie and Margaret Elizabeth (Bradley) Johnson, of Johnson's Wood Yard. Monroe County; granddaughter of John and Mary Ann (Leslie) Johnson, and of John and Margaret (Munnerlln) Bradley. The Johnsons and Bradleys were of Irish origin and removed from South Carolina to Alabama in 1816. Children: 1. Thomas Young: 2. Lizzie J., m. Earnest Henry Archibald. Castleberry; 3. Mysie. m. William Ray Chester, Pensacola, Fla.; 4. Florence Almlra, m. Walter Richards Bennett, Pensacola, Fla.; 6. Mary Owen, Camden; 6. William Henry, m. Lilly Belle Triggs. Spring Hill; 7. Floyd Lamar, Flomaton; 8. Rufus Gautler, Tuskegee. Residence: Greensboro. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony


AVERY, WILLIAM A.


BATTLE, ALFRED, planter was born 1801, near Nashville, Nash County, N. C. and died January 4, 1877, near Carthage; son of Capt. William and Mary Ann (Williams) Battle, the former a native of Nansemond County, Va., and a soldier In the Revolutionary War; grandson of William and Mary (Capell) Battle who lived on a plantation in Halifax County, N. C . and of MaJ. John and Frances (Bustaln) Williams of Halifax County, N. C. the former a commissary officer in the Revolutionary War; great-grand-son of Joseph and Martha (Drake) Williams; great-great-grand son of Richard Drake, of Isle of Wight County. Va. He was educated in the country schools of Nash County and moved to Alabama and settled at Tuscaloosa where he became owner of extensive plantations. He was influential in securing the first railroad through Tuscaloosa. He moved to his plantation in Hale County, in 1872 and resided there until his death. He was a member of the Methodist Church.

Married: January 10, 1822, Millicent Bealle of Georgia, who died June 23, 1872 in Tuscalloosa. Children: 1. William Augustus, b. 1823 in Tuscaloosa, d. 1909. at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Clay, In Huntsvllle, m. Susanna Clay Withers of Huntsvllle, a niece of Gov. C. Clay, had one son, Alfred, m. Jennie Bealle and had three children; 2. Willie, b. July 16. 1863. d. December 5, 1908, in Birmingham, m. Mattie Battle, a distant cousin, had one child, Kate Harrison; 3. Millicent Bealle. b. 1854, d. July 30, 1884; 4. Katie Withers, d. July 23, 1884; 6. Suasnna Clay. m. June 26, 1906, William Lewis Clay of Huntsvllle, who d. September 5, 1911, had one child, William Lewis. Last residence: Hale County.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony 


BAXLEY, JAMES ANGUS, teacher, was born March 9, 1871, at Dothan, Henry, now Houston County; son of James and Martha Jane (Newton) Baxley, who lived In what is now Houston County for more than sixty-one years, the former, a native of White Pond, Barbour County, fought In the War of Secession; grandson of John and Harriet (Ayre) Bailey, who came from near Wilmington. N. C. and settled in Geneva County, and of Constentlne and Elisabeth (Sykes) Newton, who also came from near Wilmington. N. C, to Alabama, and settled in Henry County, the former who served as a private in the Mexican War. His early schooling was obtained in and around Dothan, from John Richardson, W. S. Neal, and A. M. Scott; and he was graduated from Southern University, Greensboro, A. M., 1898. He attended Harvard University during the summer of 1900. Mr. Baxley began to teach school in 1899 in Greensboro, and has continued In that profession, now occupying the position of principal of a grade school in that city. He is a Democrat: a Methodist, serving as steward in the church; a Knight of Pythias: and a member of Phi Delta Theta college fraternity. Married: November 6, 1900, in Greensboro, Loula Virginia Hosmer, daughter of Rev. S. M. and Frances Luvenia (Parsons) Hosmer, D. D., (q. v.), who lived in Jefferson and Tuscaloosa Counties; grand-daughter of Silas and Esther Anne (Cowley) Hosmer, and of Louis and Susan (Rogers) Pareons, both grandfathers serving in the War of Secession. Her paternal grandparents came from Massachusetts. Children: 1. Frances Virginia. Residence: Greensboro.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony


BLUE, OLIVER RUFUS. Methodist minister, was born March 24, 1822, in Montgomery, died January 8, 1893, in Greensboro, and is buried in Oakwood cemetery, Montgomery; son of Neil and Eliza (Powers) Blue (q. v.). "He was educated In Montgomery, and when seventeen years of age Joined the Methodist church In that city. His conversion, October 9, 1839, was of that positive, clear, and Joyous type so often found among the older Methodists."
(General Conference Minutes, 1893.) He was licensed to exhort, March 23, 1843, and to preach, October 12, 1843. On January 6, 1844, ho was "admitted on trial" Into the Alabama conference. His first appointment was the Lafayette circuit, but before the end of the year he was transferred to the Montgomery station. While still an undergraduate he served the Montgomery, Mobile, Talladega, and Eufaula stations, and In 1850 was appointed presiding elder of the Montgomery district. He served as a mlnUter for forty-nine years filling "the most prominent stations and districts In the conference." "During that long period he maintained his prominence in the conference, and his life and labors contributed as much as those of any one man to the progress of Methodism In Alabama, both in Its spiritual work and In the institutions, educational and benevolent, which It established and maintained." (Minute, supra.) He represented the Alabama conference in seven General conferences. Twice, in the absence of the bishop he was elected to preside over the Alabama annual conference. Married: In 1848 at Columbus, Ga., to Ann Ellis Howard, bom December 3, 1825, and died October 22, 1891. Children: 1. John Howard, m. Mary Wood Cook, parents of Dr. John Howard Blue (q. v.); 2. Annie Judy, d. at the age of 18: 3. Marie, d. young; 4. Eliza, d. In Infancy. Last residence: Greensboro.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony 


BOARDMAN, VOLNEY, Jeweler, silversmith and circuit clerk was born August 22, 1810, at Worthington, Richmond county, O., and died May 29, 1890 at Greensboro; son of Jeremiah and Jemima (Church) Boardman of Hartford, Conn. The Boardman family are of English stock. Volney Boardman received his education in the common schools of Worthlngton; was apprenticed by his father at the age of eighteen to learn the business of a Jeweler and silversmith, and entered upon the practice of his profession In Greensboro, In 1832; one year later be removed to Tuscaloosa, but In 1836 he returned to Greensboro where he made his permanent residence; was circuit clerk of Hale County for twenty years and resigned in 1889 on account of his health; was major In a militia regiment prior to 1861. He was an old line Whig until the beginning of hostilities, after which he was a Democrat. He was a Presbyterian and a Mason. Married: (1) in 1840, at Greensboro, to Margaret, daughter of James and Catharine (Cowan) Locke, who lived near Statesvllle, Rowan County, N. C; (2) June 8, 1846, to Harriett Earle, daughter of Richard and Catherine (Sloan) Harrison, the Utter related to the noted Williams, Daniel and Earle families of the South. Children by first marriage: 1. James Locke; 2. Margaret E.; by second marriage: 3. Henry; 4. Laura, m. W. S. Askew, Decatur, Ga.; 6. Kate Sloan, Greensboro; 6. Elena; 7. Emma, a missionary to Hangchow, China; 8. Florence Lee; 9. Richard Isam. Last residence: Greensboro.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony 


BRITTON, WILLIAM GILLASPIE, farmer, soldier and public official, was born February 16, 1842, at Greensboro, Hale County; son of William Worrell and Margaret Isabella (Gillasple) Britton, the former a native of Edgefield District, S. C, who removed early In life to Alabama; grandson of Benjamin Brltton, who lived at Edgefield and of Daniel and Margaret (NeSmlth) Glllasple, of Lowndes County. His early education was obtained at Pleasant Ridge, Greene, now Hale County, under the instruction of A. A. and E. A. Archibald. While attending Oglethorpe university, Ga., he left the sophomore class, January, 1861, to Join the Confederate Army, and was 1st sergeant, Co. D, Greensboro guards, 5th Alabama Infantry regiment, Battle's brigade, Rodes' division. He was so severely wounded, September 19, 1865, at Winchester, Va., that his right arm had to be amputated; captured, and sent to Point Lookout, Md. He engaged in farming after the war, and was tax collector of Hale County, 1874-82. He Is a Presbyterian; Knight of Pythias; Odd Fellow; A. O. M. W., and a captain of the Ku Klux Klan. Married: (1) April 26, 1865, In Greene County, to Mary Henrietta, daughter of John and Mary Long, of Cooksville, Miss.; (2) January 21. 1871. to Mary Susan, daughter of Robert Randolph and Mary Redding, who lived at Hollow Square, Hale County. Children: 1. William Lee, deceased; 2. Isabella Monk, deceased; 3. Mary Alice, m. Alonzo Bernard Gewln, Cedarvllle; 4. John Gordon, m. Lucy Burton, Pratt City; 5. Laura Porter, m. Bestor Bernard Livingston, Akron; 6. Bettle Scott, m. Noah Gideon Harris, Akron; 7. Edwin Rodes. Greensboro; 8. Thomas Baxter, Demopolis; 9. Daniel Elijah, Demopolis. Residence: Greensboro.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony 


CARSON, SHELBY CHADWICK, physician, was born in Greensboro, then Greene County but now Hale County, January 26, 1846; son of Thomas Kelley and Lucretia Adelaid (Chadwick) Carson; the former a native of Concord, Mecklenburg County, N. C; and for fifty years a prominent merchant of Greensboro. Ha was liberal toward the Confederacy, was an officer In the Presbyterian church, and highly respected by all. His parents were Richard and Mary (Pickens) Carson, residents of Concord, N. C, and the latter a representative of a very prominent family of North and South Carolina and a relative of Gov. Israel Pickens of Alabama. Dr. Carson's maternal grandparents were John and Keren (Shortridge) Chadwick, of Catlettsburg, Ky. The former came from England and was a close friend of General Shelby, under whom he served In the Revolutionary war, hence the family name of Shelby. His wife belonged to the same family as Gov. Shortridge, and her sister married William Hampton of Kentucky, of the same family as Wade Hampton of South Carolina. The Doctor's grandfather, John Chadwick, died at the age of ninety years, leaving a large family and numerous descendants In Kentucky and West Virginia school for boys taught by Edward Sexton, from Massachusetts, before the War of Secession: later was a student at Southern University, Greensboro, two years: and the University of Alabama a portion of 1863-4, when he "deserted" to join the C. S. Army. He was given his A. M. degree by the latter university in 1898. He attended Louisville Medical College, 1873-4, and Tulane University, New Orleans, one term, graduating in 1891, with the M. D. degree. Since 1874 he has engaged in practice as a physician and surgeon; first at Sprlngville, St. Clair County, Ala., 1874-8; at Burton Hill, Greene County, 1878-88: at Bessemer, Jefferson County, 1888-98; and since then at Greensboro. In 1902 he built and equipped a private sanitarium In Greensboro, which he has since conducted. He has been president of the Greene County Medical Society; member of board of censors of Jefferson County Medical Society; twice president of the Hale County Medical Society: member of the Alabama State Medical Association for thirty-five years; of the American Medical Association twenty-five years; Mississippi Valley Medical Association sixteen years; and American Association for Advancement of Science five years. He was a member of the school board of Bessemer about 1895; Is a Democrat and an elder in the Presbyterian church. In 1864 he Joined the Shockley Escort Company, which acted as escort for Gen. Gideon Pillow for some time, and later for Gen. Daniel Adams; and was paroled at Gainesville. Ala., in May, 1865. In a hand to hand engagement at Plantersvllle, Ala., he received a saber cut on the shoulder, at the same time Gen. Forrest was protecting himself against the sabers of several of the enemy, three of whom he shot with his pistols. Married: June 22. 1869, ten miles below Kutaw In Greene County, to Annie Burt Ridgway. For five years Dr. Carson attended a select daughter of Bradley Holley and Elizabeth Bell Rldgway, the latter a native of Columbia, S. C., and the former of Winchester. Ky., and a large planter in the canebrake and very prominent as an active, progressive citizen. Residence: Greensboro, Ala.


COBB, Rev. RICHARD HOOKER


COLEMAN, AUGUSTUS A. of Birmingham, Ala., was born on May 21, 1826, at Camden, S. C. He is the son of James B. and Louise (Simpson) Coleman, the former a native of Camden, S. G, where he lived until about 1834, when he emigrated to Alabama, and died a few years later. He was a physician and was the son of Robert Coleman, a native of Virginia, who lived and died at Camden, S. C Louise (Simpson) Coleman, the wife of James B. Coleman, was born in Neal, France. Her father, Prof. Elias Sampson, was a professor of languages in the university at Neal, France, and during Napoleon's Russian campaign he acted as the Emperor's interpreter. On the fall of Napoleon he was compelled to flee the country and came to Charleston, S. C Judge A. A. Coleman came to Alabama with his parents at an early age and received his primary education in the schools of that period. Later he entered Yale and graduated with degree of master of arts at the extremely early age of nineteen years. After his graduation he began the study of law in the office of Edwards, Lapsley & Hunter at Cahaba, Ala., and a few years later, having been admitted to the bar, he settled in Livingston, Sumter county, and began practice. In 1858, at the age of twenty-seven years, he was appointed judge of the seventh judicial district to fill an unexpired term, and was elected to that office in the subsequent May. Although Judge Coleman had declined the nomination he was unanimously elected to the secession convention of 1861, and in the startling sessions of that memorable body he took a leading part. As a member of the Yancey ordinance committee, he was Mr. Yancey's right hand man in the preparation of the ordinance of secession, which document, based on a resolution offered by Judge Coleman and passed by the convention, set forth that each State, being sovereign and independent, must necessarily withdraw by separate action, etc. At the beginning of the war he tendered his resignation as judge of the seventh judicial district and organized the Fortieth Alabama regiment of infantry, which he commanded for about a year, when he resumed his seat on the bench, Governor Shorter having refused to accept his resignation. He continued to preside until the close of the war. During the war Judge Coleman expended about $5,000 from his personal estate for the maintenance of the regiment which he had organized, and at the request of the governor he and the other judges of the State left their entire salaries for two and a half years in the State treasury, to be used for the support of the families of indigent soldiers. At the close of the war a change of administration having been effected, the incoming administration refused to honor the warrant of Judge Coleman for this salary due, and the amount is still in the State treasury. In 1898 the State legislature passed an act authorizing the treasury to pay this back salary to the order of Judge Coleman, but the bill was vetoed by the incoming governor, and the amount remains unpaid. After the war Judge Coleman removed to Greensboro, Hale county, Ala., where he resumed the practice of law, and represented Hale county in the general assembly in 1884-85. In the legislature as head of the committee on penitentiaries, he prepared the "Coleman bill," on which the entire system of State penitentiaries is based as it now exists. He was also very active as a member of the judiciary committee. In 1887 he removed to Birmingham, where he became one of the most prominent attorneys of that city. In 1896 he was elected first associate judge of the tenth judicial district, and has retained his seat on that bench since, having been again returned in 1904. He has made an enviable record for learning and legal ability, judicial fairness and fearless discharge of his duties. Judge Coleman is always a Democrat and a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he has at various times been an officer and a member of the general conference. He is a Chapter Mason and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he has been noble grand of his local lodge. Though he has been actively engaged in law, he has' found time for large literary acquirement, and has been an extensive contributor to various periodicals. His poetry, to quote one of his reviewers, "seems to belong to the polished age of Pope and Dryden, rather than to this hurried, restless age of ours." He has been largely instrumental in the success of several educational institutions in the Southern States, particularly the Southern university at Greenville, Ala., one of the leading institutions under the direction of the Methodist Episcopal church. On Oct. 5, 1848, in Sumter county, Ala., Judge Coleman was married to Amanda M., the daughter of John G. and Elizabeth (Monett) Phares, of Sumter county, Ala. Judge and Mrs. Coleman were the parents of seven children, all boys. Augustus A., Jr., lives in Chicago, and Phares, of Montgomery has been for a number of years the reporter of supreme court decisions of the State of Alabama. Source: Notable Men of Alabama Vol. II, Joel Campbell Dubose (1904) submitted by FoFG mz


CROOM, JOHN L.


ERWIN, Hon. GEORGE


GULLEY, MRS. MARGARET C.


HALE, Hon. STEPHEN F. , married Mary E. Kirksey, a sister of F. M. Kirksey. He was a Kentuckian by birth, and came to Erie [AL] in 1838 and from there to Eutaw in 1839. He was a lawyer by profession, and served in the State Legislature in 1843. He went to the Mexican war in 1846, and served there two years as a lieutenant. He was again in the Legislature from 1857 to 1859. In all his political acts and affiliations he was a Whig, and in them all proved himself a man of great force. He was Attorney-General of the State in 1861, under the Confederate Government.  Afterward he joined the Army of Virginia, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and was killed in one of the battles around Richmond, in 1862, while gallantly leading his command in action.  In 1866 the Legislature formed a new county out of a part of Greene and portions of other counties, and named it Hale, in honor of the man who had proved himself a lawyer of ability, a worthy citizen, an intelligent lawmaker and a brave soldier.  Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


HAPPEL, MRS. MARY JOHNSON


HILL, THOMAS CARTER, prominent Physician and Surgeon, son of Thomas H. and Miranda (Gregory) Hill, natives, respectively, of the States of Virginia and North Carolina, was born in Green (now Hale) County, this State, November 14, 1830. After acquiring a thorough preliminary education at some of the leading colleges of the State, he, at the age of nineteen, began the study of medicine, and pursued it successively through medical institutions of learning in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia, graduating from Jefferson Medical College, in the latter city, in 1860. Early in 1861, young Hill enlisted as a private soldier in the Fifth Alabama Regiment, and was in a short time promoted to Assistant-Surgeon. In 1864, after having followed the fortunes of his regiment through its various campaigns, he was transferred to the Valley District of Virginia, as Medical Director, with the rank of a full Surgeon, and remained in that department to the close of the war. Returning to Alabama, at the close of hostilities. Dr. Hill first located at Dayton, Marengo County, in the practice of medicine, and remained there until 1884, at which time he moved into Oxford. Since coming here, he has devoted his time to real estate and other business enterprises, to the exclusion of the profession. As a physician. Dr. Hill stood very high. He was, probably, as well taught in the science of material medica as any man in Alabama. Not satisfied with the most thorough training possible at the finest institutions of learning in America, he, in 1870, studied arduously under the greatest instructors in Europe; and it is to the loss of the profession, that he has withdrawn from the practice. Dr. Hill was married in Marengo County, May, 1870, to Miss Margaret Lee, daughter of Columbus W. and Elizabeth (Parker) Lee, and has had born to him five children: Columbus L., Thomas C, Margaret, Myra C. and Harry. The Hon. Columbus W. Lee, native of Georgia, was many years a member of the Alabama Legislature, and was one of the most prominent men of his day. He was a Pierce and King presidential elector in 1852 and a Douglas elector in 1860. He opposed secession and canvassed the State for Douglas, although he went with his State in her subsequent efforts in behalf of the Southern Confederacy. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1865, and made the race for Congress that same year against Joseph W. Taylor, and was beaten. He was an original speaker and the master of thought and sarcasm. He died in 1868. Thomas H. Hill, father to the subject of this sketch, migrated in early manhood to North Carolina, there married, and in 1812 settled in Green County, Ala., where he became an extensive planter. He reared a family of two sons and three daughters. He died in 1860, at the age of seventy-eight. His father, Joseph Hill, was a native of England, and came to America prior to the Revolution and settled in Culpeper County, Va. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


HOBSON, RICHMOND PEARSON


JACK, JAMES M., planter, was born April 11, 1828, in Greene County, and died May 22, 1897, at Greensboro; son of James and Ann (Gray) Jack (q. t.). Be waa reared In Hale County and educated at the Green Spring school under Prof. Henry Tutwller. He left school when he waa twenty-one years of age and began to farm, continuing that pursuit until 1884. He was elected to the State legislature from Hale County In 1876, and served one term. He waa elected tax assessor of Hale County In 1884 and held the position until May 20, 1897. He moved to Greensboro In 1889. He entered the C. S. Army In 1861, as a private in Co. D, Fifth Alabama Infantry, and lost his right leg at Malvern Hill. He was discharged, returned home, and served as captain of the home guards. He was a Methodist EpiscopalIan. Married: In 1867 at Tuscaloosa, to Mary Spencer of Tuscaloosa County, daughter of James Campbell and Martha Ann Houston (Potts) Spencer, the former a member of the State legislature from Tuscaloosa County at the time of his death in 1861. Children: 1. Edwin Spencer (q. v.); 2. Houston Campbell, a graduate of Southern university, resides in Oklahoma; 3. Annie Gray, m. James Pennington Borden, resides In Greensboro; 4. James Patrick, m. Bessie Cundtff, resides at Christianburg, Va.; 5. Theodore Henley, m. Alice Ashley. Last residence: Greensboro. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Transcribed by C. Anthony


KEADY, MRS. M. C.


KIMBROUGH, MRS. S. A.


KINNAIRD, THOMAS J.


KIRKSEY, FOSTER M., is a son of Jehu and Nellie (Foster) Kirksey, natives of North and South Carolina, respectively. His grandfather, John Kirksey, Sr., was a Scotchman, and emigrated to America some time prior to the Revolutionary War, in which he took part. His father came to Alabama in 1804, and settled in what is now Madison County, and engaged at planting. In 1816 he moved to Tuscaloosa; in 1822 to Greene County, this State, and settled at Erie, the county seat, and in 1824, to Greensboro, now the county seat of Hale.  

F. M. Kirksey was born at Tuscaloosa, Ala., June 10, 1817.  In 1834 we find him at Erie, where he received most of his education.  In 1839 he removed to Eutaw, where he has since resided.  As an interesting part of his career in the county of his adoption, it may be mentioned that at one time he knew personally every man living within its bounds. He has been engaged in planting and merchandising during his residence in Greene County, in both of which callings he has been successful.  He has .served the public in different capacities. In 1836 he was Deputy Sheriff of Greene County, and was Sheriff from 1845 to 1848.  Mr. Kirksey was married the first time October 20, 1845, to Jane Merriweather, daughter of Dr. Z. Merriweather, of Greene County, Ala.  She died in 1857.  All of the children by his first wife are dead.  He was married the second time to Margaretta Liston, of Indiana, who was a daughter of Jonathan J. Liston, a prominent lawyer of that State.  By his second wife he has four living children, three sons and one daughter: Liston, Robert, Harold, and Margaretta.  Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


LIGHTFOOT, MRS. MARTHA DIANA


LOCKE, ANNIE REES, author, was born in Greensboro, Hale County; daughter of James Whitehead and Helen (Gayle) Locke, the former a student at Princeton college when the War of Secession broke out, left school and joined Co. D, 5th Alabama infantry regiment, C. S. Army, afterwards a planter, residing in Greensboro; granddaughter of John and Anne Eliza (Rees) Locke, the former sixth in descent from Sir Francis Locke of England whose son, Matthew Locke, emigrated to America during the Colonial period, settled in Pennsylvania, and shortly afterwards removed to Rowan County, N. C., where he supported the Revolution, being a member of the house of commons of North Carolina, in 1775, and of the convention that framed the constitution of 1776, brigadier-general State troops, served thirty years in the legislature, had four sons in the Revolutionary War, of whom Col. George Locke was cut to pieces on the King's highway, near Charlotte, by Carleton's dragoons to whose memory the Mecklenburg chapter, D. A. R., in recent years erected a monument, and of Gov. John and Clarissa Stedman (Peck) Gayle (q. v.). Miss Locke received her education at the Female academy, Greensboro. She prepared herself for the profession of librarianship and holds that position in the public library of Greensboro. Author: "The Flower of Fort Louis," which ran for one year as a serial in "Advance." She has also written numerous short stories and articles published in periodicals north and south. Unmarried. Residence: Greensboro.

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer  


LUPTON, NATHANIEL THOMAS, A.M.,M.D., LL.D., Chair of Chemistry, Agricultural and Mechanical College, and State Chemist of Alabama, was born near Winchester, Va., December 19, 1830. His parents were Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Hodgson) Lupton, natives of Virginia and of English descent. Dr. Lupton graduated at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa., in the year 1849. Chemistry has always been a favorite pursuit with him, and consequently, after graduation, he sought to gratify his wishes by studying the subject under the great Bunsen, at Heidelberg, Germany. He spent two winters there in the prosecution of his scientific studies, and upon his return to this country was well qualified to deal with scientific subjects in the departments of chemistry and geology. He filled the chair of these sciences at the famous Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, from 1856 to 1858, and in the following year, up to and including 1871, a period of twelve years, discharged the functions of a similar position in the Southern University at Greensboro, Ala. He then accepted the presidency and professorship of chemistry at the State University of Alabama from 1871 to 1874, when he was called to the chair of chemistry at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., where he remained from 18-4 to 1885. In that year he was selected to fill the chair of Chemistry at the Agricultural and Mechanical College, where he has since remained. Professor Lupton has received ample and gratifying recognition from his contemporaries in the world of science, and has sustained many honorable relations towards different scientific bodies. He is at present State Chemist of Alabama; has twice been Vice-President of the American Scientific Association, and presided over the section of chemistry at the meetings held in the city of Nashville during his residence there, and at the meeting in Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1885; has been Vice-President of the American Chemical Society, and has taken an active and leading part in the deliberations of many other scientific bodies. During the war he was Chemist in the Ordnance Department of the Confederate Government, with headquarters at Selma. Thus do we see Professor Lupton, from the time he returned to America, inspired with the instructions received at the hands of the great Bunsen taking an eminent stand in the scientific world, and in all these years, his career has been but a succession of triumphs and a recognition of his great ability. He has sustained the most honorable relations to his fellow-num, and, wherever his lot had been cast, has always moved in the highest social spheres. While in the lecture room he has bestowed unlimited benefit upon the many young men who have been so fortunate as to receive his instruction- his life has been spent in eminent usefulness, and to him are many of the young men of the South indebted for their practical knowledge of the sciences. Professor Lupton was married in 1854, to Miss Ella V., daughter of the Rev. John and Hannah (Paine) Allemong, of Frederick County, Va. To them three children have been born, viz: Kate, who is a regular graduate of the Vanderbilt University, from which she received the degree of M. A. She afterwards went to Europe, where she pursued her studies for some time. The other children are Ella and Frank.  Professor Lupton has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for many years. He is now a prominent member of the church at Auburn, superintendent of the Sabbath-school, and on three different occasions, has been a lay delegate to the General Conference of the Southern Methodist Church. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


McCANN, JAMES EDWARDS, Methodist minister, was born September 3, 1857, at Newbern. Hale County; son of John Wilson and Jane Teresa (Goff) McCann, the former spent his boyhood in his native state and his early manhood in Alabama, where he taught school in Clay County, admitted to the Methodist ministry by the Conference in 1845 at Mobile, and of which he was a member for forty-four years; grandson of Michael and Polly (Bishop) McCann of Hawkins County, Tenn., the former a member of the Tennessee bar who died at the age of forty-one; and of Edmund and Lucretia (Wells) Goff, of Jackson County, Miss.; greatgrandson of James McCann who immigrated from Ireland and settled in Virginia, a Roman Catholic in religion, a physician by profession, surgeon in the Revolutionary War, twice married, his second wife, a widow Arnold, who bore two children, Michael, and a daughter, who married a Reese. James E. McCann was educated in the village schools, and graduated at the Southern university, A. B., 1877; taught school for two years after graduation, joined the Alabama conference at Tuskegee, December, 1879, has held pastorates in Alabama and California conferences continuously since admission to the ministry. Married: October 1, 1884, at Santa Maria, Calif., to Sarah Ann, daughter of Irving Noland and Sarah Esther (Condit) McGuire. Her father was a "Forty-niner," and her mother was from Ohio. Children: 1. James, jr.: 2. Irving Goff, pastor Green street congregational church, Chicago, m. daughter of William H. Sands, Richmond, Va.; 3. Annie Ezell, m. a Russell of Columbus, Ga.; 4. John Wilson; 5. Christine Esther; 6. Ruth Aline; 7. Allie Boone; 8. Mary. Residence: Eufaula.
[History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]


NUTTING, MRS. MARIA LOUISE (nee PRICE)


OTTS, JOHN MARTIN PHILIP
John Martin Philip Otts, D.D., Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Talladega, was born in Union District, S. C, in 1838. He graduated at Davidson College, North Carolina, in 1859, and from the Theological Seminary, in Columbia, S. C, in 1862. He was pastor of the Presbyterian Church, at Greensboro, Ala., from 1862 to 1867; of the First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, Tenn., from 1867 to 1873: of the West Presbyterian Church at Wilmington, Del., from 1873 to 1877; of the Chambers Memorial Presbyterian Church, in the city of Philadelphia, from 1877 to 1884, and has since then been in charge of the Presbyterian Church at Talladega.
     He is a writer of ability, and has been from his college days a frequent contributor to magazines and reviews. He has published the "Southern Pew and Pulpit," "Nicodemus with Jesus," "Laconisms on Timely Topics," the "Gospel of Honesty and Essays on the Beautiful," "Our Educational Policy," "Lay Evangelism," "The Huguenots," etc.
     He took and successfully held in the General Assembly at St. Louis in 1887, the position as leader of the movement toward the re-union of the Southern with the Northern Presbyterian Church.
     His father. Prof. Robert G. Otts, was a school teacher in South Carolina. His grandparents were born in South Carolina, and on the paternal side were of German descent, and on the maternal side of Scotch-Irish extraction. His mother's maiden name was Becknell. Her father was an Englishman, and her mother was of a mixed descent of Scotch-Irish and Huguenot blood. Dr. Otts was married the 31st of December, 1863 to Lelia J. McCrary, the only child of Col. D. F. McCrary, of Greensboro, Ala., and has had born to him nine children (all sons), of whom eight are living: Robert F., John M. P., Laelius M., Paul B. (deceased), Mark C, James W., Earnest v., Octavius M. and Louis E. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


ROBERTSON, JOHN R., Banker, was born in Hale County, this State [AL], July 28, 1842, and is a son of Henry C. and Julia O. (Yancey) Robertson, natives of Virginia. The senior Mr. Robertson was a planter, and died in Sumter County, this State, in October, 1879.  John R. Robertson attended the common schools of his immediate locality until twelve years old, and then entered the academy for boys kept by the Rev. W. A. Stickney, at Marion, this State. After completing a course of studies here he went to Texas, and assumed control of a plantation which his father owned, and was there when the war broke out. He enlisted as a private soldier in Company D, Fifth Texas, and was promoted by regular gradation until attaining the rank of major. He gave four years to the cause of the South, and participated in many battles. He was wounded slightly while skirmishing around Richmond in June, 1864.  Returning from the war in 1865, Mr. Robertson spent one year in the "Old Dominion," and returned to Texas, where he engaged at farming for three years. In December, 1869, he came to Demopolis, and engaged in the banking business in partnership with Mr. R. H. Clark. After one year Mr. D. F. Prout bought out Mr. Clark's interest, and the business was continued under the firm name of Prout & Robertson. This commercial institution does a large business, and is rightly regarded as a solid concern.  Mr. Robertson has achieved far more than the ordinary measure of success, and being yet in the prime of manhood, there is no extravagance in asserting that a bright future yet awaits him in his chosen field of life. He is identified with other substantial enterprises, among which may be mentioned the Presidency of the Demopolis Oil Mill Company. and the directorship of the Memphis & Pensacola Railroad, a line now in process of construction.  Mr. Robertson was married in May, 1865, to Miss Virginia, daughter of H. P. and Mary (King) Watson, of Christian County, Ky.  He is a member of the Episcopal Church, one of its wardens, takes an active interest in all its affairs, and was for some years superintendent of the Sunday-school at his home. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity.  Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


SEAY, THOMAS
Thomas Seay, governor of Alabama, was born in Green County, Ala in 1846; son of Reuben and Ann Seay, natives of Georgia. He was educated in the common schools, served in the Confederate army, 1862 - 65, and was twice taken prisoner.  He was graduated at Southern University, Greensboro, Ala., in 1867; was admitted to the bar and engaged in the practice of law and in plating.  He as a Democratic state senator, 1876 - 86, being president of the senate, 1884 - 86; and was a delegate to the Democratic national convention in 1880, and chairman of the Democratic state convention in 1884.  He was elected governor of Alabama in 1886 - 90.  He was married in 1875 to a Miss Shaw of Greene County, Ala, and secondly in 1881 to Clara De Lesdernier of New Orleans, La.  He died in Greensboro, Ala, March 30, 1896. Source: The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans 1904 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


STICKNEY, Thomas


TUNSTALL, MRS. ELIZA A.


TURNER, Rev. E. M.


WADSWORTH, MRS. M. W.


WARD, MRS. ELIZABETH


WEBB, JAMES DANIEL, lawyer, legislator and Confederate brigadier-general, was born February 26, 1818, in Lincoln County, N. C., and died July 19, 1863, on Elk River, Tenn.; son of Henry Young and Elizabeth (Forney) Webb (q. v.). He came to Alabama with his parents in infancy, and after completing a college course read law under Pleasant N. Wilson, in Livingston and in Hillsboro, N. C.; entered upon the practice at Greensboro, 1838; represented Greene County in the legislature of 1843 and 1851; State senator, 1853; was on the Bell electoral ticket of 1860, and elected a member of the secession convention, over his brother; member constitutional convention, 1861, and signed the ordinance of secession; and trustee University of Alabama, 1858-63. At the beginning of hostilities between the States he entered the 5th Alabama regiment as a private, but was promoted to quartermaster and served in this capacity for a year. He assisted in raising the 51st Alabama cavalry, and was appointed lieutenant-colonel, acting as regimental commander a great deal of the time, owing to the absence of Colonel Morgan on detached service. While his regiment was guarding the rear of General Bragg's retreat on Chattanooga, July 2, 1863, and skirmishing on Elk River, he was mortally wounded and captured. Two weeks later he died from pneumonia incident to his wounds, being promoted brigadier-general just prior to his death. Married: August 2, 185, Jestina I. Walton. Children: 1. Jessie, m. Cocke; 2. Minnie C. Last residence: Greensboro. 
[Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


WEBB. JAMES HENRY, lawyer, was born July 16, 1863, at Greensboro, Hale, then Greene County; son of Dr. William Thomas and Frances Young (Dickins) Webb, the former a skilled physician, was born on Brush Creek, near Greensboro, in 1815, when the present State of Alabama was the eastern half of Mississippi territory, and lived at Greensboro until 1866, when he removed to Mobile, and died at his county home "Nanna Hubba," July 25, 1883; grandson of Thomas and Martha (Dickins) Webb, who lived at Brush Creek, Miss. Ter., to which place he came from Tally-Ho, Granville County, N. C., and of Robert and Martha (Young) Dickins, of Greensboro. His early education was received in the schools of Mobile County, later he attended the Barton academy in Mobile, and finally entered the Southern university from which he graduated in 1882 with the A. B. degree. In 1885 he graduated from the law department of the University of Alabama, having previously read in the office of James E. Webb, at Greensboro, and had a summer course of lectures under the learned Prof. John Minor at the University of Virginia. He entered upon the practice in Mobile immediately upon completing his studies. He was elected solicitor of Mobile County, November, 1892, and held that office for sixteen years, resigning November, 1908, to accept a partnership with John W. McAlpine, the firm still existing as Webb and McAlpine. He is a Democrat; Presbyterian; Mason; Elk; Knight of Pythias; and an Odd Fellow. Married: October 3, 1888, at Stockton, Baldwin County, to Frances, daughter of Daniel and Margaret Catherine (McMillan) Williams of that place. The McMillan family was Scotch-Irish, long lived and possessed of deep piety. Children: 1. Mary Frances; 2. Margaret Catherine; 3. Celia ; 4. Martha; 5. and 6. (twins) Grace and Agnes; 7. Janie. Residence: Mobile.
[Source: Owen, Thomas and Marie Owen, History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Vol 4. Chicago, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Dawn Conway ]


WEBB, LUCIUS de YAMPERT, physician and planter, was born at Greensboro, June 18, 1846; son of John Henry Young and Julia (de Yampert) Webb. He was a student at the University of Alabama, 1863-64, and graduated in the medical department of the University of New York, and practiced in Greensboro. Married: February 21, 1883, to Sarah Christian Brown.
[Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


WITHERSPOON, THOMAS DWIGHT, Presbyterian minister, was born January 17, 1836, at Greensboro, and died November 3, 1898, in Louisville, Ky.; son of Robert Franklin and Sarah Agnes (Fulton) Witherspoon, the former a native of Williamsburg County, S. C., who removed to Alabama and lived at Greensboro and Blount Springs; grandson of Paul and Martha Fulton, of Alabama, and of Thomas and Janet (Witherspoon) Witherspoon, first cousins, who removed from Williamsburg County, S. C., to Greene County, in 1825, where he became an extensive planter; great-grandson of Gavin and Esther Jane (Witherspoon) Witherspoon, the former a corporal in Marion's brigade, and of Robert and Elizabeth (Heathly) Witherspoon, the former a native of County Down, Ireland, who came to America with his father and grandfather in 1734, who was a planter, weaver and reed maker, residing near Kingstree, S. C., and died in Williamsburg, S. C.; great-great-grandson of William Heathly and wife, who was Mrs. Mary (Hamilton) Brady, the former a native of England and an early settler of Williamsburg County, S. C., of James and Elizabeth (McQuoid) Witherspoon, the former a native of County Down, Ireland, who came to America in 1734, on the "Good Intent," landing at Charleston, S. C., and settling in Williamsburg County, S. C., and of Robert and Hester Jane (Scott) Witherspoon, the former a native of Ireland, who came to America on the "Newbuilt," and located in South Carolina; great-great-greatgrandson of Robert and Sarah (Campbell) McQuoid, of County Down, Ireland, and of John and Janet (Witherspoon) Witherspoon, first cousins, the former a native of Begardle, near Glasgow, Scotland, who moved to Knockbracken, County Down, Ireland, in 1695, emigrated to America on the "Good Intent" in 1734, settling in Williamsburg County, S. C., where he was a weaver, the latter dying aboard the vessel while bound to America; great-great-great-great-grandson of Rev. and Lucy (Welch) Witherspoon, of Scotland, and of Rev. James and Helen Witherspoon, also of Scotland. Rev. Dr. Witherspoon entered the University of Alabama in 1853, leaving after his second year: received the degrees of A. B., 1856, A. M., 1866, D. D., 1868, and LL. D., 1884, from the University of Mississippi; and graduated from the Theological seminary, Columbia, S. C., in 1859. He was ordained by the Presbytery of Chickasaw, May 13, 1860, and served at Oxford, Miss., 1859-65. During the War of Secession, he enlisted as a private in the Lamar rifles, Mississippi volunteer regiment, C. S. Army, and served as chaplain of this company throughout the war. He became pastor at Memphis, Tenn., in 1865, remaining until 1870; pastor, Christiansburg, Va., 1870-71; chaplain. University of Virginia, 1872-73: pastor, Petersburg. Va., 1873-82; Louisville, Ky., 1882-91; Richmond, Ky., 1891-97; professor, Central University, Kentucky, 1891-93; and at the Louisville Presbyterian theological seminary, 1893-98. He was the author of various writings. Married: January 18, 1866, to Charlotte Vernon, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Eliza (Pegues) Ingram, the former a noted surgeon of Lenoir, S. C., who moved to Marshall County, Tenn.: granddaughter of Malachi Pegues, who removed from South Carolina to near Holly Springs, Miss.; great-granddaughter of Claudius Pegues, a soldier of the Revolution; great-great-granddaughter of Claudius Pegues, an early settler in Marlborough County, S. C. Children: 1. Lottie Ingram, m. Rev. Eugene Bell, and went with him as a missionary to Korea, where she died suddenly; 2. Florence Pegues; 3. Eva Fulton, m. Rev. Dr. James O. Reavis; 4. Thomas Dwight, jr.; 5. Lillian, d. young; 6. Vernon Ingram; 7. Pauline Fulton, and 8. Mabel Armstrong, twins. Last residence: Louisville.

[History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - Submitted by AFOFG]



HOME

Copyright Genealogy Trails 2014
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor