|Welcome to Jefferson County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
We transcribe historical and genealogical data to help you track your ancestors through time. Enjoy your visit to Genealogy Trails and don't hesitate to send me your comments, suggestions or corrections.
We offer a growing selection of FREE data.
BIOS, OBITS, MARRIAGES, BIRTHS and MORE.
SHARE YOUR DATA.
Add your ancestor's obit, bio or news item to this site, just send me an email.
If you are interested in hosting one of the available county websites, view our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
Please Note: We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for you.
Don't hesitate to ask a question or submit a query.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * *
. . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Jefferson County was established on December 13, 1819 by the Alabama legislature. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson. The county is located in the north-central portion of the state, on the southern extension of the Appalachians, in the center of the iron, coal and limestone belt of the South. Jefferson County is bordered by Blount, Bibb, St. Clair, Shelby, Tuscaloosa and Walker counties. It encompasses 1,119 square miles. The county seat was at Carrollsville from 1819-1821, at Elyton from 1821-1873, and since 1873 has been at Birmingham, which was named for England's iron and steel center in Warwickshire. (Source: Wikipedia)
CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES* Adamsville * Bessemer * Birmingham * Brighton * Center Point * Clay * Fairfield * Fultondale * Gardendale ** Graysville * Helena (partly in Shelby County) * Homewood * Hoover (partly in Shelby County) * Hueytown *
* Irondale * Kimberly * Leeds (partly in Shelby County and St. Clair County) * Lipscomb * Midfield * Mountain Brook
* Pinson * Pleasant Grove * Tarrant * Trussville (partly in St. Clair County) * Vestavia Hills (partly in Shelby County)
* Warrior (partly in Blount County)*
* Argo (partly in St. Clair County) * Brookside * Cardiff * County Line (partly in Blount County) *
* Maytown * Morris * Mulga * North Johns * Sylvan Springs * Trafford * West Jefferson *
* Coalburg * Corner * Dolomite * Hopewell * McCalla * Shannon * Watson *
Census-designated places (CDPs)
* Concord * Edgewater * Forestdale * Grayson Valley * McDonald Chapel * Minor * Mount Olive * Rock Creek *
Online Data Biographies Birth Records Cemeteries Cities/Towns County Records Death Records History Marriage Records Native American Data Newspaper Gleanings Obituaries and Death Notices Queries School Records Slavery Data Storms
- Website Updates:
- Jul 2016: Queries: GUILLOU - Submitted by Jean QuemenerApr 2016: County Records: 1907 County OfficersJan 2016: County Records: 1931 County Officers; Death News: CAMP, CALDWELL, GRAHAM, HUGHES, MASSEY, PRAYTOR, RAINEY, THOMAS, TYLER, WILSONOct 2015: County Records: 1913 County OfficersSep 2015: Marriage News: WELLBORN, PARKER - Transcribed by SueAnn McKnightJul 2015: Death News: TARRANT, MATTHEWS, CLIFT, O'BRIEND, HUGHESApr 2015: Marriage News: BAKER, STONE, GILLASPIE, WILSON, GILLESPIE, KILLOUGH, HALE, THOMPSON, HANDLEY, MATTHEWS, JONES, STICKNEY, LINN, RILEY, MORROW, SMITH, PALMER, HAGOOD, RINMAN, DOBB, ROPER, INZER, SAUNDERS, DYSON, LYDE, WAGNER, LEEPER, WALKER, MCADORY, RODEN, GILLIAM, SCOTT, RANDALL, DILL, MOULTON, WARE, BLACK, GLASGOW, PEARSON, HARRISON, TYLER, HOGAN, GOODWIN, NEWBERN, SHARPE, SHOEMAKER, WADE, PINDON, WARE, JORDAN, BROWN, HEWITT, BILLINGSLEY, FRANKLIN, GREGORY, CAIN, CLARKSON, JOLLY, CREEL, INGRAM, CROSS, MCWHARTER, SELF, MILES, JACKSON, HILL, YOUNG, EVANS, WOODS, COPELIN, OLMSTEAD, TERRY, TAYLORJan 2015: Death News: HOGOOD, TEGNER, HOCHSTADTER, MAYFIELD, WILSON, COX, BURFORD, TANNEHILL, WALDROP, MERRIWETHER, WILLIAMS, DEAN, CASTLEBERRY, PAYNE, HAWKINS, LINN, DAVIS, BAGLEY, TARRAN, FOY, HALE, MCCONAGHY, JOHNSON, TAYLOR, DICKEY, BUSH, GIOVANNI, HOWAKER, MILES, ROSS, SMITH, WALDROP, WOODARD
Alabama Department of Archives & History
624 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36130-0100
Phone - 334-242-4435
Probate Court - Bessemer
1801 3rd Avenue North
Bessemer, AL 35020
Phone - 206-481-4100
Probate Court - Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse
716 Richland Arrington Jr Blvd North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone - 205-325-5420
Birmingham Genealogical Society
Birmingham, AL 35201
Birmingham Historical Society
1 Sloss Quarters
Birmingham, AL 35222
Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society
P.O. Box 130285
Birmingham, AL 35213-0285
Birmingham Public Library
Phone - 205-226-3665
Hueytown Historical Society
P.O. Box 3313
Hueytown, AL 35023
West Jefferson County Historical Society
P.O. Box 184
Bessemer, AL 35021-0184
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
OR VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.