|Lamar County, Alabama|
|BIOGRAPHIES - PAGE 1|
MRS. CELIA ALDRIDGE, widow of Rev. ASHLEY ALDRIDGE, has also lived considerably over the alloted age. She is somewhere between eighty-seven and eighty-nine years of age, the record having been destroyed. But she says she was born in the "new hundred", her brother being born in the "old hundred", he being about two years the oldest. She has for forty years been a familiar figure at the Methodist church near her home. It is easy to see that her steps are not so fast and steady as they once were, but the same merry twinkle is in her eye and everyone knows her as "Aunt Celia." Source: Vernon Courier, April 12, 1889 - pg 4 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
ALSUP, ELISHA B. - Perhaps few communities can boast of as old a couple as ELISHA B. ALSUP, who is eighty-four, and his wife who is seventy-seven. They live in the extreme south west corner of Moscow beat, on the head waters of Cut Bank. They were among the first settlers of the country, and have raised a large family, mostly boys, who with the exception of two have been living in the West for some years. These two old people have bright and happy dispositions, and do not seem to realize that hey have lived beyond the usual time allotted to men. Their many friends hope to see them reach a hundred together. Source: The Vernon Courier, April 5, 1889 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
BANKHEAD, HENRY McAULEY, U. S. Army oflioer, was bom December 19, 1876, at Moscow, Lamar County; son of John Hollis and Tallulah (Brockman) Bankhead (q. v.). He received his early education in the public schools of Fayette, attended the University of Alabama 1894-97, inclusive, but desiring to secure a practical business course he withdrew from his alma mater and entered Eastman Business college. He was active in athletics at the University, being captain of the Varsity football team, 1896. Upon the completion of his business course he accepted a position in New York City. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American war he volunteered for service and was commissioned by President McKinley as captain in the Fifth U. S. Volunteers, known as one of the "Immune" regiments, the designation having reference to immunity from tropical fevers, his commission being dated July 13, 1898. Captain Bankhead recruited his company, Co. F., from volunteers living in West Alabama and proceeded to Cuba with his regiment, being barely twenty-one years of age and one of the youngest officers of his rank in the war with Spain. After serving in Cuba from August, 1898, to April, 1899, he was honorably discharged with the mustering out of his volunteer regiment. While serving in Cuba he commanded the regiment for two months because of sickness of all of his superior officers; was appointed second lieutenant Regular army, June 1, 1899, and assigned to the 20th infantry, then serving in the Philippine Islands and engaged in the suppression of the Philippine insurrection. He served with his regiment as a second lieutenant from June 1, 1899, to February 2, 1901, when he was promoted to a first lieutenant .He served three tours of duty in the Philippines before the war with Germany, covering a period of six years. During his last tour of duty which terminated in 1917 he was selected by the commanding general to command a battalion of Philippine scouts, which battalion was composed of the former wild head hunters of the mountain of Luzon; was promoted to a captaincy in July 1909; major, 1917; lieutenant-colonel, July, 1920. During the European war Colonel Bankhead was commissioned as lieutenant-colonel and colonel and assigned to the 8l8th Division, the soldiers of which were from Alabama, Florida, North and South Carolina and Tennessee. He was appointed on the staff of the division commander as quartermaster and sailed for France on July 31, 1918. He served as division quartermaster in the field until October 16, 1918, when he was selected by the commanding general of the American Expeditionary Forces to be quartermaster of the 2nd army corps, then serving with the 4th British army. After the armistice. Colonel Bankhead was selected to command the American leave area in the principality of Monaco, where soldiers were permitted to visit on furlough. While on this duty he was decorated by His Highness, Prince Albert of Monaco, the ruler of that country, and made a Commander of the Order of St. Charles of Monaco, the most coveted decoration in the gift of the Prince. Colonel Bankhead is now at the head of the educational and vocational training of all soldiers in the 2nd Corps area, embracing New York, New Jersey and Delaware, with headquarters at Governor's Island. He is a Democrat; a Methodist; and member of the Phi Delta Theta college fraternity. Married: December 3, 1903, to Alice Buffington, daughter of John Buffington and Caroline (Rust) Stickney, of St Augustine, Fla.; granddaughter of Jeremiah C. Stickney of Lynn, Mass. Children: 1. John Long; 2. Harriet Katherine. Residence: Governor's Island, N. Y. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol IV, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BANKHEAD, JOHN HOLLIS, farmer, legis lator. Confederate officer, member of the House of Representatives and the Senate of the United States, was born September 13, 1842, on his father's farm near old Moscow, Marion, now Lamar County, died March 1, 1920, in Washington, D. C, and is buried in Jasper; son of James Greer and Susan (Hollis) Bankhead, natives of Union District, S. C, the former a planter and soldier of the Creek Indian and Mexican Wars, both buried in the graveyard at Sulligent, a modern town built upon part of their original plantation; grandson of George and Jane (Greer) Bankhead, natives of Union District, S. C, who removed, first to Tennessee, and, in 1816, to west Alabama, locating near the present site of Russellville, going two years later to Marion County, where they settled at what is now Crew's depot, on the military road, and where he acquired lands, became a planter and stock grower, built a home and the first mill in the county, which was located on the Palm Spring branch, died and is buried in the Jarrett graveyard, his wife surviving him and some years later dying at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William H. Duke, in Pontatoc. Miss., and of John and Letitia (Holliday) Hollis, who came to Alabama from Union District, S. C, and settled in Marion County, where he established a plantation home at the site of old Moscow, was a colonel of militia, standing six feet four inches, a progressive planter and sound scholar, bringing into his wilderness home a library of classics, died in 1867, and both are buried in the Armstrong graveyard; great-grandson of James and Elizabeth (Black) Bankhead, of Union District, S. C, where the former died about 1799, and of Daniel and Patsy (Knighton) Holliday, the former born on the "high hills of the Santee," in Kershaw District, S. C, where he was reared, entered the Revolutionary Army and became a sergeant, removed to west Alabama where he died in 1837, and is buried in the Armstrong graveyard, near old Moscow, and of John Hollis, born in Fairfax County, Va., removed to Pairfield District, S. C, where he died, was a captain in the Revolutionary War, serving with Gen. Francis Marion, with whom history says he was "a favorite young officer;" great-great- grandson of Daniel Holliday, of Kershaw District, S. C. The Bankhead family is of Scotch origin, while the Hollis family which migrated to Maryland, thence to Virginia, South Carolina and Alabama, is of English stock, as are the Hollidays. Senator Bankhead obtained the rudiments of an education in the country schools of his native county, and with this meager scholastic preparation, became, by wide reading and contact with the world, a man of solid and practical learning. Born and reared upon his father's plantation, located in a pioneer country, he enjoyed that freedom of action and close contact with the direct issues of life that early developed in him the qualities of mind and character that signalized his future career. At the outbreak of the war between the States, he enlisted as a private in Co. K, 16th Alabama infantry regiment, J. B. Powers, as captain and CoL William B. Wood, of Florence, as regimental conunander. He was in the conflict from the beginning to the end, and took part in the battles at Fishing Creek, Perryville, Murfreesboro, and all the battles of the Western Army, in which his command participated, except when disabled from wounds received in action. After the battle of Fishing Creek he was promoted to third lieutenant and became captain after the battle of Shiloh. He led the 16th Alabama regiment in an impetuous and successful charge, at Chickamauga, where he was wounded. As he retired, with his wound, the sedge field on which a part of the battle had been fought, caught fire and burned rapidly. He stumbled upon the prostrate form of John Custer, a private, an elderly man who had fought the day through beside three sturdy sons, and who was now wounded by a gun shot through the hips and his life imperiled by the rapidly approaching fire. Captain Bankhead, with one arm useless, lifted himself from the ground with Custer clinging to his neck, and thus bore him to a spot of safety. The rescued man survived the war many years, and was always the devoted friend of his benefactor. In 1917, when the United Confederate veterans held their memorable reunion in Washington, D. C, Captain Bankhead appeared on the floor of the senate, of which he was a member, clad in the grey uniform worn by the brave Confederate soldiers a half century before. Immediately upon his entrance that august body rose as a mark of respect to the venerable old warrior and statesman, and to the glorious valor of the Southern army. As soon as order was restored. Captain Bankhead said: "Today the shattered remnants of the army of Lee and Jackson, and the navy of the Confederacy, are in Washington, and with their sons will march in review before the President of the United States. Think, Senators, of the significance of this spectacle! A little more than half a century ago these same men, in arms, were hammering at the gates of Washington. Today, marching with feeble body and faltering step, on a mission of peace and love, not of hatred and bloodshed, in a spirit of resolute reconciliation and absolute loyalty to our flag, they voice in vibrant tones to all the world, the indissoluble union of the United States. I am grateful that God has spared me to see this day when my comrades in arms are in the capital of this nation which they struggled to destroy, but which none in this great republic are now more anxious to preserve. For four years I marched under the 'stars and bars.' Six immediate members of my family are today enlisted under the 'stars and stripes,' a son, two grandsons, two nephews, and my daughter, Mrs. Louise Lund, a volunteer Red Cross worker overseas. They will even up our records." On his motion the Senate then adjourned as a mark of respect to the Confederate veterans holding their reunion in the city. A few moments later, Captain Bankhead, clad in grey, with his colleague in the senate, Knute Nelson, of Minnesota, clad in blue, marched at the head of the Confederate hosts, and, typifying the healing of the wounds of the sections, drew the heartiest and most stirring applause of the memorable day. On the occasion of the visit of Marshal Jeffre to the senate, Senator Bankhead was presented to him by Senator Lodge of Massachusetts as the sole surviying Confederate soldier serving in that body. The great Frenchman embraced him, with a hearty "God bless you Sir," and expressions of appreciation of the high military qualities of the Confederate Army. After the close of the War of Secession, Captain Bankhead returned to his parental home and resumed his agricultural pnrsuits. He was elected to the Alabama legislature from Marion County and served during 1865 - 6; represented the twelfth senatorial district in the Alabama legislature, 1876-77, at which time he supported Gen. John T. Morgan in his first election by the legislature to the senate of the United States, a position to which he succeeded that distinguished soldier and statesman thirty years later. In 1880, he again served as a member of the lower house. His native ability so impressed itself upon the chief executive. Gov. Rufus W. Cobb, that he offered to him the wardenship of the State penitentiary, an institution requiring humane, sympathetic and practical handling; Under his regime as head of the State prison system many reforms were instituted and his urgent recommendation that a reform school for youthful delinquents be established was later fulfilled under the leadership of the club women of the State. One of his first official acts was the abolition of the small cells as sleeping quarters, and the disuse of instruments of discipline that characterized the "dark ages" in prison life in the State. On September 13, 1886, at Fayette court house, he was nominated to congress by the Democratic convention of the sixth congressiona l district, and elected to that office in November, serving continuously from. March 4, 1887, to March 4, 1907, a period of twenty years. He was a member of the committee on public buildings and grounds during his entire service in the national house of representatives, and chairman of that committee during the period of Democratic control, at which time the great and incomparably beautiful library of congress at Washington was built. He was able to secure for his own State, appropriations for a number of public buildings and was the consistent advocate of government owned buildings for post offices and other federal agencies. After March 4, 1897, he was appointed a member of the committee on rivers and harbors, and through his efforts, the Warrior River was made the longest canal fixed waterway in the world. In the early years of his labors for that stream it was of so little commercial importance, and held in such small esteem by some as a source of navigation that it was facetiously proposed by opposing congressional colleagues that the course be paved. But unmoved by ridicule or opposition he pushed steadily forward with his efforts. One of the gigantic locks, sixty-three feet high, and backs the water of the Warrior for a distance of seventy-five miles, and forms a splendid lake which was named in his honor, "Lake Bankhead." During the period of the European War, the Warrior River served as one of the arteries of trade which contributed to the defeat of the German empire. The government has made the Warrior River an integral part of its inland waterways system, and operates from the rich mineral, agricultural, manufacturing and wholesale district of Birmingham to the Gulf of Mexico, a line of self-propelled barges bearing a part of the commerce of the world, being one of the few inland trade arteries which the government is able to operate without an annual excessive appropriation to eliminate deficits. Concurrent with his efforts towards developing the Warrior River, Captain Bankhead worked for the deepening of the harbor channel in Mobile Bay, and soon that port became a deep sea shipping point. In a primary election, held August 27, 1906, in contest with six other aspirants, Captain Bankhead was nominated in the Democratic primaries of Alabama to assume the first vacancy that might occur in the State's representation in the U. S. senate. On the death of Senator John T. Morgan, June 18, 1907, Senator Bankhead's nomination by the people was confirmed by the legislature then in session. Upon taking his seat in the senate, he immediately undertook to impress on congress the feasibility of government cooperation with the states in the construction of highways. His views by some were regarded as chimerical and by many as socialistic, but in this as in his waterways work, he was unmoved by opposition. His first reward came in a congressional appropriation of $500,000 with which to make a practical test of federal aid to good roads. Such test was entirely satisfactory, and congress very soon agreed to an appropriation of $75,000,000. Within ten years after his first good roads appropriation was made by congress the people of the United States had caught his enthusiasm and instructed their representatives in congress to vote for the Bankhead good roads bill carrying an appropriation of $275,000,000. In recognition of his services, the United States good roads association, elected him its first president, and retained him at the head of the organization until his death. His name was given by a grateful public to one of the transcontinental highways, the "Bankhead Highway," which begins at the ''Zero Stone" in Washingrton, D. C, marking Jointly the beginning of the Bankhead and the Lincoln Highways, and terminating in San Diego, Calif. Under orders of the war department, a motor convoy traversed the Bankhead Highway during the summer of 1920. Senator Bankhead was for twenty-five years vice-president of the Alabama good roads association. He was the author of the amendment to the constitution of Alabama, which permitted the State to engage in building good roads and creating a State highway commission. Senator Bankhead collaborated and shared honors equally with Senator Underwood in securing congressional legislation which resulted in the development by the government of Muscle Shoals, in the Tennessee River, and the construction of plants for the filtration of atmospheric nitrogen, and the construction of Wilson Dam, destined to be when completed one of the greatest waterpowers in the world, involving in all the expenditure of more than 1100,000,000. In both houses of congress Senator Bankhead played a conspicuous part in the development of the many waterway projects of the nation, rivers, harbors and water power development. He was chairman of the senate committee on post offices and post roads and of the committee on postal salaries, and was an earnest advocate of mail efficiency and adequate pay for postal employes. At the expiration of his last term in the house. President Roosevelt appointed him to membership on a commission to make a scientific study of national waterways and power sites, but he took his seat in the senate prior to the organization of the commission, which later was dissolved because of some legal technicality in the act creating it. In 1912, Senator Bankhead managed the presidential campaign of Senator Underwood, of Alabama, the latter at that time being chairman of the ways and means committee of the house. This effort to nominate a southern man for that high office was the first serious and organized attempt following the War of Secession. Senator Bankhead was essentially a practical man, straightforward in his dealings, despising hypocrisy and pretense. His ability to read character enabled him to avoid many entanglements that often beset a public man, and his rugged honesty was a tower of strength in the accomplishment of his life's work. On November 18, 1916, Senator and Mrs. Bankhead celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at their home, "Sunset," in Jasper. The celebration also involved an appreciation of the election of their son, William Brockman, to membership in the house of representatives, U. S. congress. The election of the younger Bankhead to the house, while his father was serving in the senate was an unprecedented event in American history, and later it frequently happened that while the Senator was called by the vice-president to preside in his place in the Senate, the son would be presiding over the deliberations of the house at the request of the speaker. At the time of his death Senator Bankhead had served twenty years in the house and thirteen years in the senate, making a total of thirty-three years in the two houses of congress. He was a Mason, having at one time been grand master of the State; a Democrat; Methodist; Ku Kluz during the reconstruction period, a member of the Sons of the Revolution and United Confederate Veterans. Married: November 13, 1866, at Wetumpka, to Tallulah James, daughter of James Henry and Mary Elizabeth (Stairley) Brockman, natives of Greenville District, S. C, the former a merchant and planter, who died at the age of twenty-two, while the latter lived to the age of ninety-three, and is buried in Jasper; grand-daughter of Thomas Patterson and Mary (Kilgore) Brockman, the former a planter and merchant, colonel of the lower regiment, Greenville District, S. C. militia, member of both branches of the South Carolina legislature during a period of forty years, representing his district during some of the State's most crucial periods, member of the State conventions of 1832, called to nullify the act of congress imposing duties for protection, and in 1852, which convention was called for the purpose of seceding from the Federal union, he being all the while a firm and decided union man, but accepting the will of the majority, and later losing in the War of Secession his only remaining two sons, both high ranking officers, and of George and Parmelia (Lester) Stairley, of Greenville District, S. C; great-granddau ghter of Ar chibald and Elizabeth (Crymes) Isster, of Virginia, and of James and Keziah (Greer) Kilgore, of Spartanburg, S. C, and of Henry and Susannah (Patterson) Brockman, natives of Virginia who removed to South Carolina about 1790, settling in Spartanburg or Greenville District, a planter and slave owner; great-great-granddaughter of Col. Benjamin Kilgore, and wife, who was a Miss McRary, the former a captain in the Indian campaigns during the colonial period and major of cavalry under General Brannon in the Revolutionary War and of John and Amelia (Martin) or (Edwards) Brockman, the founder of the family in America, natives of England, who located first in Virginia, probably in Givange or Albemarle Counties, their descendants going later to North Carolina and thence to South Carolina, and of George Crimes, of Virginia, son of Baronet Crymes of English parentage, born in Pockham, Wales, who inherited a barony and was made a knight of the garter by the King of England, migrated to America in the early colonial period, and settled in King and Queen County on the York River, where he built a home which he fortified with cannon against Indian attack; great-great-great-granddaughter of William Kilgore whose ancestors migrated from Carlisle, Pa., to Laurens and later Greenville Districts, S. C. The Brockman family was seated in Essex and Kent Counties, England, the homestead and estate "Beechborough," bought in the year, 1455, by Sir Henry Brockman, still stands, and is owned by members of the Brockman family. The church register shows an entry of the name in the year 1200 A. D. A further account may be seen in Burke's "Landed Gentry." Children: 1. Louise, m. (1) Col. William Hayne Perry, lawyer, planter, officer in Hampton's Legion, C. S. Army, member of congress, son of Govv. B. F. Perry, of Greenville, S. C, (2) Arthur Graves Lund, Washington, D. C; 2. Marie Susan, (q. V.) m. Thomas M. Owen (q. v.) ; 3. John Hollis, jr., (q. v.); 4. William Brockman, (q. v.); 5. Col. Henry M., (q. v.). Last residence: Jasper. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol IV, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BANKHEAD, WILLIAM BROCKMAN, lawyer. member of Alabama legislature and U. S. congress, was born April 12, 1874, near Sulligent, Lamar County; son of John Hollis and Tallulah J. (Brockman) Bankhead (q. v.) brother of John H. Bankhead, jr. (q. v.), and of Mrs. Marie B. Owen (q. v.). He received his early education in the public schools at Wetumpka, and Fayette, being taught by Miss Susie Doby and Prof. M. B. Dubose; entered the University of Alabama, 1889, at fifteen years of age and graduated, A. B., June, 1893; captain, Co. C, Cadet corps, and winner of the trustees' oratorical prise. He at once entered the law department of Georgetown university, at Washington, D. C, from which he graduated in 1895. being president of the class, an honor borne likewise by his brother, John H. Bankhead, Jr., upon graduating from the same institution, these young men being the first Southerners so honored after the War of Secession. He was admitted to the bar at Fayette, September, 1895. and entered upon the practice at Huntsville in the office of Judge William Richardson. M. C. In 1906. he removed to Jasper to practice with his brother, John H. Bankhead, jr. He was city attorney of Huntsville, 1900-01; circuit solicitor fourteenth circuit 1900-14; elected to the 65th and 66th congresses from the tenth district, and is a member of the education and merchant marine committees of that body; had charge of the legislation giving vocational training to disabled soldiers of the World War, and was author of the act to rehabilitate industrial cripples passed by the 66th congress. He is a Democrat, chairman of the Walker County committee, delegate to several state conventions, presidential elector, 1904. He is a Methodist; a Mason; Odd Fellow; Woodman of the World; Knight of Pythias and a member of the Phi Delta Theta college fraternity. Married: (1) January 31, 1900, in Memphis, Tenn., to Adelaide Eugene, daughter of J. Thomas and Evelyn Eugenia (Garth) Sledge, the former a native of Mississippi, the latter of North Alabama; (2) January 16, 1916, to Florence, daughter of Joseph H. and Saleta J. (Anderson) McGuire, of Jasper. Children: by the first wife, 1. Evelyn Eugenia, m. Morton Hoyt. 2. Tallulah Brockman, an actress, appearing first upon the screen at sixteen years of age, and later going on the legitimate stage where she played the leading female role in ''39 East," and won success in "Foot-loose," both Broadway successes. Residence: Jasper. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol IV, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BEASLEY, CECIL ACKMOND of Fayette, Fayette county, Ala., was born Dec. 20. 1876. four miles west of Kennedy, Lamar county, Ala., and is the son of Wm. Luther and Susan Frances (Howeil) Beasley, both of whom were natives of that section of the State where their son was born. The former was the son of Gabriel and Mary (Appling) Beasley and the latter the daughter of Elijah and Abigail (Shepherd) Howell. His grandfather. Gabriel Beasley, moved to Fayette county, Ala., from Middle Tennessee in the early thirties and later located in Lamar county. His grandmother on the paternal side, Mary Appling, moved with her parents from Georgia in 1830 at the age of six years to Tuscaloosa county. Elijah Howell was born near New Lexington, Tuscaloosa county, Ala., his parents having removed from South Carolina. He was a Baptist minister. His grandmother Howell came from South Carolina with her parents and they located in Fayette county. Ala. His ancestors have all been farmers. He was educated in the public schools of Lamar county, Ala., and at the State Normal College at Florence, from which he was graduated in 1896. In 1900 he took the degree of Bachelor of Laws from the University of Alabama. He was admitted to the bar in 1900 in Florence, where he had previously read law in the office of Emmet O'Neal before he entered the University. He practiced in Florence for two years before he located in Fayette in Oct., 1903. He is private secretary to U. S. Senator John H. Bankhead, which position he has held since 1903. Is a Democrat; a Missionary Baptist; a Royal Arch Mason; Odd Fellow; Knight of Pythias and Red Man. On Jan. 18. 1910, Senator Beasley was married in Fayette, Ala., to Mrs. Louise (Renfro) Robertson, daughter of A. J. and Sarah Freeman Renfro. both of Fayette. Source: Alabama Official and Statistical Register - by Alabama Department of Archives and History. Compiled by Thomas M. Owen, LL. D., Director , Montgomery, Ala. THI Brown Printing Company 1911 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
BEASLEY, CECIL ACMOND, lawyer, was born December 20, 1876, four miles west of Kennedy, Lamar County; son of William Luther and Susan Frances (Howell) Beasley, both of whom were natives of that section of the State; grandson of Qabriel and Mary (Appling) Beasley, the former moved to Fayette County, from middle Tennessee in the early thirties, located in Lamar county, and his wife moved with her parents from Georgia in 1830 to Tuscaloosa County; and of Elijah and Abigail (Shepherd) Howell, the former a Baptist minister, was born near New Lexington, Tuscaloosa County, his parents having removed from South Carolina, and his wife came from South Carolina with her parents to Fayette County. His ancestors were all farmers. He was educated in the public schools of Lamar County; at the Florence normal college, from which he graduated in 1896; and graduated at the University of Alabama, LL. B., 1900. He had however, previously read law at Florence in the office of Emmet O'Neal, later governor of Alabama, and was admitted to the bar in 1900. He practiced in Florence for two years before he located in Fayette, October, 1903. He was clerk of the committee on suffrage and elections of the constitutional convention of 1901. He was private secretary to United States Senator John H. Bankhead, a position he held from 1907 until the death of Senator Bankhead, in March 1920, when he was retained by Senator B. B. Comer. He is a Democrat; a Missionary Baptist; a Mason; Odd Fellow; Knight of Pythias; and a Red Man. Married: January 18, 1910, in Fayette, to Mrs. Louise (Renfroe) Robertson, daughter of A. J. and Sarah (Freeman) Renfroe, both of Fayette. Children: 1. Cecil A., Jr. Residence: Fayette. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BLAKENEY, LEWIS COLUMBUS, physician, was born November 7, 1851, in Chesterfield County, S. C; son of Lewis and Elizabeth (Funderburk) Blakeney, the former a native and life long resident of Chesterfield County, S. C; grandson of John Blakeney, a soldier of the Revolution, of Chesterfield County, S. C, and of Irish descent, and of Jacob Funderburk, of Lancaster District, S. C, and of Dutch descent. Dr. Blakeney received his early education in the public schools of South Carolina and Alabama, and graduated with the M. D. degree from the University of Alabama, in 1874. He practiced in Pickens County for three years, removing from that place to Millport, Lamar County. He has served as county commissioner of roads and revenue and as Justice of the peace. He is a Baptist; Democrat; Mason; and an Odd Fellow. Married: in 1876, to Rachel Rebecca, daughter of Hiram Vail, of Lamar County. Children: 1. William Waller; 2. Elizabeth Mariliza; 3. Lewis Oscar; 4. Myrtle May; 5. Thomas Columbus; 6. Trannle. Residence: Millport. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BRADLEY, Judge ROBERT LUTHER, dentist. State treasurer, probate judge, and State senator, was bom October 8, 1853, at Palmetto, Pickens County; son of John and Barbara (Vail) Bradley, the former a native of Virginia; grandson of Hobbs Bradley, of Virginia, and of Jeremiah and Mary Vail natives of South Carolina who later located at Palmetto. Judge Bradley was educated at the Center Hill academy. Palmetto, where he was taught by A. M. Nuckels, Montgomery Bell and Miss Julia Propst. Later he attended the Vernon institute. He attended a school of dentistry in Chicago; entered upon the practice in 1874 at Vernon. Lamar County, and practiced that profession for twenty years. In 1886 he was elected to the legislature from Lamar County, and again elected two years later. In 1890 he was elected to membership in the State senate. He served Lamar county as probate judge for eighteen consecutive years; captain, "Thomas G. Jones riflemen." State troops, for eight years; elected state treasurer, November 1918. He is a Democrat; chairman of Lamar County Democratic executive committee, of which he was a member for twenty-two years; and steward in the Methodist Church at Vernon for thirty years. He is a Mason and Odd Fellow. Married: in 1883, at Vernon, to Amanda Lee, daughter of Louis Monroe and Dorcas (Reynolds) Wimberly of that place. Although Judge and Mrs. Bradley have no children of their own they have raised six orphans who are now all married. Residence: Vernon. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
WILLIAM R. BRADLEY - Another couple who have also seen the anniversary of their golden wedding are W. R. BRADLEY and wife Mrs. ELLEN S. BRADLEY the former being in his 85th and the latter in her 76 year. They were born in Columbia County, Virginia and came to this county in the fall of 1849 being on their way to the great west but stopped to rest a while and have remained to this day. They were married in 1829 reared a family of eleven; six of whom are living. One being our efficient Circuit clerk and the other being Mr. W. S. METCALFE the mother of our popular Sheriff. Source: Vernon Courier, April 19, 1889 - pg 4 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
WILLIAM BROWN - Another very young man who has seen 84 winters is WM. BROWN, of Brown Beat, who is perhaps known to one third of the county as “Uncle William” has lived at the same spot on Beaver Creek where he stopped following an Indian trial in 1820. He came to this county from Tennessee, but was born in South Carolina. Of a family of ten, seven are living most of whom are in this county. His wife died in the summer of 1876. He is remarkable active and his mind does not seem impaired by age, and many rich things does he tell of the long ago. He rode down to town a few days since to be present at a trial in which he was interested. To see him on horseback you would say that time has dealt lightly with him. Source: Vernon Courier, April 19, 1889 - pg 4 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
BURNS, DR. WILLIAM ARTHUR of Sheffield, was born June 3, 1870, four miles north of Vernon, Lamar county, and is the son of George Caruthers and Margaret (Rush) Burns, and the grandson of George Lasley and Nellie (Enloe) Burns, and of William Phillip and Emily (Coons) Rush. All ancestors are of S. C. stock, except Mrs. Rush, who was a native of Tenn. George L. Burns served in the War of 1812, and was the son of a Revolutionary soldier. George C. Burns was born in Tenn., but now lives at Vernon, of which place he was the first settler. Dr. Burns was educated in the common schools of Lamar county; and took his M. D. degree in the Memphis Hospital Medical College, 1891. He at once opened an office in Vernon where he practiced until 1895. He then spent a year, 1895-96, at Ravenden Springs, Ark., after which he returned to Vernon. In 1898 he located at Sheffield, where he now lives. He was an alderman of the town of Vernon 1892; city physician of Sheffield, May 1899 to March 1907; and a member of the Alabama National Guard, 1889 to 1894. He was appointed physician inspector of the convict board, March, 1907. He is a Democrat; a Methodist; and also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. On Jan. 23, 1894, at Vernon, he married Anna Desire, daughter of Rev. Wm. A. and Margaret E. (Roper) Montgomery, the former an itinerant Methodist minister for over half a century. Source: Alabama Official and Statistical Register 1907 - by Alabama Department of Archives and History. Compiled by Thomas M. Owen, LL. D., Director , Montgomery, Ala. Brown Printing Company 1907 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
BYRD, LESLEY DOW, farmer, was born May 27, 1889, near Kennedy, Lamar County; son of Erasmas Dowin and Lucinda (McCullough) Byrd, the former a native of Floyd County, Ga., who moved to Alabama in 1861, and settled in Lamar County, later moving to Quincy, Miss., and returning to Alabama in 1902; grandson of William May and Artie Missie (Thompson) Byrd, who lived near Fayette, the former a native of South Carolina, the latter of Hall County, Ga., and of William Wilson and Sarah Grace (Cobb) McCullough, the former a native of St Clair County, who served as a private in the C. S. Army, was commissioner for Fayette County for a number of years, and doorkeeper of the house of representatives for one term; great-grandson of Tommy and Judie (May) Byrd of England, who settled in South Carolina, and of Rev. Wilson Cobb of South Carolina. Mr. Byrd was educated in the common schools of Lamar County, and is engaged in farming and teaching. He is a Democrat, a Baptist, and a Woodman of the World. Residence: Bedford. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
CAHEL, BRITTON. Methodist Protestant minister, born in Wales, May 2, 1754, and died in 1845 at sea while returning from Texas to his home in Lamar County, Ala. He was a preacher of the primitive type, a sort of ecclesiastical wanderer, who went about sowing seeds of kindness and gospel truth. His advent into a neighborhood was hailed with delight; his visits were never long but their impressions were lasting and deep. The pulpit seemed to be his native element. He was first a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, but was one of the chief reformers in the establishment of the Methodist Protestant church, which was organized in Baltimore, Md., November 2, 1830. On coming to this country he lived in Boston for a year or two and then removed to Lamar County, Ala. He left a large estate on the Colorado River, now amounting to millions. For his ministerial services he never took any pay, trusting entirely to Providence. In order to save his horses he would walk to church, several miles in the country, on the Sabbath. He married Ellen Terrell of Edinburgh, Scotland, a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Terrell. Last residence: Lamar County, Ala. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
COLLINS, Dr. JAMES W. , a prominent physician and surgeon of Guin, Marion County, Ala. was born in Lamar County, December 17, 1851, the sixth in a family of eleven children born to James T. and Mary M. (SHAW) COLLINS, natives respectively of Georgia and Tennessee. The paternal grandfather was GEORGE COLLINS of Georgia,and the maternal grandfather was JOSEPH SHAW of Tennessee. JAMES W. COLLINS was reared in Alabama,and received his early education at private schools, preparatory to his entrance into the Louisville Ky. Medical College in 1874 where he was under training for one session, after which he returned to Lamar County, Ala. where he practiced medicine until 1890, when he removed to Guin, Marion County,w here he now has a lucrative list of patients. he is also a merchant and farmer. In his capacity as merchant he carries a stock valued at $3,000 and his farm of 300 acres is a model of neatness. Besides his farm he owns town property valued at $5,000 and is altogether a prosperous and honored citizen. The marriage of the doctor took place in 1878, to Miss FRANCES TAYLOR, a native of Alabama and daughter of PINCKNEY TAYLOR of Georgia. This union has been favored with the birth of five children named as follows: WILLIAM O., CHARLIE E., THOMAS E., JAMES E. and AGGIE. The doctor is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, in both of which bodies he has the admiration and esteem of all the other members. In politics he is a democrat, and although he has never himself aspires to political preferment, he does all in his power to elect good and efficient democrats to the county and state offices. Dr. Collins a a self-made business man. He began his career at the age of twenty, with no capital save determination and a sound intellect, his present comfortable circumstances being the result. Source: Memorial Record of Alabama. By Hannis Taylor, Brant & Fuller Publishers, Madison, Wis. 1893. Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
DAVIS, M. THOMAS
M. Thomas Davis, cashier of the First Bank of Covington, Texas, was born near Aberdeen, Mississippi, September 14. 1878. His father, John Davis, a farmer, died in Aberdeen, in 1882, at the age of thirty-two years. He was a son of Micajah Davis, who represented the county of Lamar, Alabama, in the legislature, and was born in that county, where he spent his entire life. Micajah Davis was of Welsh descent and by occupation was a teacher and farmer. He married a Miss Ray. and their children were: John, already mentioned; Bettie, wife of William Young, of Lamar county, Alabama; Sallie, who married W. D. Young, and resides in Mangum, Oklahoma; Alice, who married William Nichols, and resides in Lamar county, Alabama: Harriet, who married Dr. J. H. Young, of Itasca, Texas, and is now deceased; Fannie, who married Jesse Reagan, of Amory, Mississippi; and Ellen, who married J. Q. Young, and died near Tupelo, Mississippi.
John Davis married Amanda Reagan, who died in 1887. They had children as follows: George B., of Eldorado, Oklahoma; Lena, who died near San Angelo, Texas, wife of Silas Crenshaw ; and Thomas, the subject of this sketch.
At the death of his parents M. Thomas Davis went to live with his grandparents in Lamar county, Alabama, and three years later he returned to Mississippi and lived with a brother, who was engaged in farming there. He attended school in the neighborhood where his brother lived and in Amory, Mississippi, and when fifteen years old began life on his own responsibility and moved to Texas, where he joined some relatives in Hill county. He worked for two years on a farm near Itasca, and spent his earnings to secure additional education. and also earned money at various other things as opportunity offered. He took a commercial course in Dallas, and in 1900 graduated from a course in shorthand and bookkeeping. He then secured a position in the office of the Prairie Creek Coal Company, of Dallas, and worked there eighteen months. He then took a position in the office of the treasurer of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Company, Mr. A. V. Tomlin, and remained with him a year and a half, after which he accepted a position in the motive power department of the Santa Fe Company at Cleburne, where he became statistician. He was holding this position when Judge Ramsey became connected with the bank at Covington and induced him to accept a position in the same. He has had good business training and valuable experience, and is well qualified to fill the position of honor and trust he now holds. He is well known and popular in social circles, and is considered a business man of judgment and stability.
The First Bank of Covington is the successor of the First National Bank, organized in 1904. Its charter was surrendered in 1907, after two years of business. Mr. Davis has been connected with the institution since 1906. The president is S. B. Norwood, of Cleburne, Texas, and its individual responsibility is $150,000.
Mr. Davis is unmarried and has no business interests outside of the bank, to whose affairs he devoted his whole time. He is a Master Mason and a member of the Woodmen of the World.
(A History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 2, Compiled by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Published by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
In the same section of the county reside WILLIAM and ROBERT STRAWBRIDGE and JOHN W. GUYTON, who are all over seventy. "UNCLE"JOHNNIE GUYTON and ISAAC RASBERRY being the only survivors of a company of troops that went from this county to the Seminole war in 1836. Source: Vernon Courier, April 12, 1889 - pg 4 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
GUYTON, JUNIUS ISIAH, farmer, merchant, newspaper man and member Alabama legislature, was born November 29, 1872, at Military Springs, Sanford, now Lamar County; son of J. M. I. and Mary Jane (Woods) Guyton. He was educated in the common schools of Vernon; engaged in mercantile business 1892-1901; in 1901 commenced farming. He established the "Lamar Democrat'* in 1896; and in 1901 represented Lamar County in the house of representatives. For a number of years he was captain of the "Vernon rifles," Third infantry, Alabama national guard. He is a Democrat Married: January 27, 1901, at Caledonia, Miss., to Ramah Corinne Barrentine. Residence: Vernon. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
HOLLIS, ACKLIN UPRIGHT farmer, sheriff, representetlve in the legislature, was born June 11, 1866 at Moscow, Lamar county, son of Daniel William and Margaret (Miller) Hollis, the former served as orderly sergeant in the 16th Alabama infantry regiment, C. S. Army, was twice wounded, represented Lamar County in the legislature two terms, and died at Sulligent in 1902; grandson of Darrill Upright and Mary Elizabeth (Goodwin) Hollis. He was educated in the public schools of Lamar County; was sheriff of that county, 1900-1907; mayor of Sulligent, 1908-1914; and was a member of the house of representatives of 1919, from Lamar County. He is a Democrat; Methodist; and Mason. Married: October 4, 1887, to Fannie Elizabeth, daughter of Peter and Caroline (Knowlton) Lowe, who lived at Cherry Valley, N. Y.; great-grand-daughter of Peter Lowe, who came from Holland, and served as first lieutenant, in Capt Jacob Ten Eyck's company, 1st battalion, Somerset County militia, during the Wat of the Revolution. Children: 1. Knowlton Lowe, served with 47th regiment coast artillery corps, A. E. F.; 2. Peter Miller. Residence: Sulligent Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
HOLLIS, JOHN DORMAN of Quinton, Ala., was born June 29, 1874, near Moscow, Lamar county, Ala., and is the sou of Daniel William and Sophronla (Guyton) Hollis, and the grandson of Derrill W. and Mary (Goodwin) Hollis, and of John E. and Sarah (Kennedy) Guyton. The Guyton family lived in Tippah county, Miss., whither they had emigrated from S. C. in 1845. Derill W. Hollis was born in S. C., Dec. 9, 1802. He married Mary Goodwin, Jan. 16, 1823, in Spartanburg, S. C., and at once emigrated to Moscow, then Marion county, Ala. He represented this county in the Legislature in 1831, 1832. 1833, 1834, 1838 and again in 1863. At the close of the war he owned more than two hundred slaves. He was married to his second wife, Margaret G. Bankhead, Jan. 17, 1844. He died Sept. 20, 1870. Daniel W. Hollis was born and reared near Moscow, Lamar county. On August 16, 1861, he enlisted in Co. K. 16th Ala. Inf. C. S. A. He was present in the battles of Fishing Creek, Shiloh, Perryville, Trinne and Murfresboro, receiving two severe wounds in that battle. He represented Sanford county in the Legislature from 1874 to 1876. Johu D. Hollis received his primary education in the country schools of Lamar county. On Jan. 14. 1896, he entered the West Alabama Agricultural School, from which he graduated June 15. 1898. receiving the first diploma issued by the school and the only one issued that year. He swept the school building and made fires to help pay his expenses. He taught school the winters of 1898-1899 and 1899-1900, and then became store manager of the Gilreath Coal and Iron Company, and afterwards store manager for Pratt Consolidated Coal Company. He holds a firstclass mine foreman's certificate. He is now a justice of the peace, and like all his name, is an unswerving Democrat. He has held positions in the Methodist Church of which he is a member, and is a Royal Arch Mason and K. of P. He married June 26, 1902, at Littleton in Jefferson county Mertie L. Waldrop, the daughter of John Sidney and Mary (Morgan) Waldrop, of Jasper, Alabama. Source: Alabama Official and Statistical Register - by Alabama Department of Archives and History. Compiled by Thomas M. Owen, LL. D., Director , Montgomery, Ala. THI Brown Printing Company 1911 - Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
HOLLIS, JOHN DORMAN, business man, was born June 29, 1874, near Moscow, Lamar County; son of Daniel William and Sophronia (Guyton) Hollis, the former a native of Moscow, Marion County, who lived at that place until the War of Secession, served in Co. K, Sixteenth Alabama regiment, and received two wounds at the battle of Murfreesboro, and represented Sanford County in the State leg- islature; grandson of Derrill U. and Mary (Goodwin) Hollis, who moved from Spartanburg, S. C, to Moscow, the former who represented Marion County in the State legislature In 1881, 1882, 1833, 1834, 1838, and 1863, and of John B. and Sarah (Kennedy) Guyton, who moved from Spartanburg, S. C, to Tipper County, Miss., in 1846. Mr. Hollis attended the country schools of Lamar County, and was graduated from West Alabama agricultural school in 1898, receiving the first diploma issued by the school and the only one issued that year. He taught as principal in the Sulligent academy, 1898-1899; taught at Pocahontas, Walker County, September 1, 1899; became store manager of the Gilreath coal and iron company; and later of the Pratt consolidated coal company. He has studied mining and holds a first class mine foreman's certificate; is a Justice of the peace; a Democrat; a Methodist; a Royal Arch Mason; an Odd Fellow; and a' Knight of Pythias. Married: June 26, 1902, at Littleton, Jefferson County, to Mertie L., daughter of John Sidney and Mary (Morgan) Waldrop, who lived near Jasper. Children: 1. Iona; 2. Dorman W.; 3. Paul Edd; 4. Mary Kate; 6. John Sidney; 6. Ruth. Residence: Quinton. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
HOLLIS, JONATHAN SHELTON, physician and legislator, was born May 6, 1856, at Vernon, Lamar County; son of Jonathan and Barbara (Weel) Hollis, the former born and reared in South Carolina. He was educated in the common schools of Tennessee, and graduated, 1882, from the Alabama medical college, Mobile. He is a physician and has practiced his profession since 1880. He was a member of the house of representatives from Fayette County, 1901. He is a Populist; and a Baptist Married: March 8, 1888. in Lamar County, to Annie M. Black. Residence: Covin. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
JONES, ELLIOT PRIEST, lawyer, was born October 21, 1819, at Moulton, Lawrence County,and died April 18, 1880, at Fayette; son of Benjamin and Viney (Wallace) Jones, the former a captain in the Mexican War, a native of Kentucky, who lived in Moulton and Fayette. His ancestry was of Irish origin. Elliott Priest Jones received a common school education in his native county and began his career by teaching schooL He read law in the office of Ligon and Walker, Moulton, and began the practice at Fayette, in 1844. He was judge of the county court, 1848-50; member State senate, 1860-60; member of the constitutional conventions of 1861 and 1866 and'during the latter decade, 1863, 1866 and 1867, was again elected to the senate and served three terms. He voted against the adoption of the Secession ordinance and refused to sign it. Upon the creation of a new county, made up of territory he represented, the legislature gave it the name of Jones in his honor. Later the name was changed to Sanford and finally to Lamar. He was a Methodist; Mason; and Odd Fallow. Married: In Fayette, to L. J., daughter of Mrs. Jane (Brooks) Page, native of Virginia, who located in that county. Children: 1. John W., Confederate soldier. Phoenix, Arizona; 2. J. B. Jones, merchant, m. Annie Byars, Fayette; 8. Lucius E., m. Viola Wimberly, Little Rock, Ark.; 4. Mattie O.; 6. R. S.; 6. Mary Alice; 7. Sylvester F.; 8. Frances I., m. G. F. Brown, Columbus, Miss.; 9. C. S., m. Angelo Fern, Steens, Miss. Last residence: Fayette. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
KENNEDY, WILLIAM H., M. D. of Kennedy, Lamar county, Ala. is the oldest and most experienced practitioner in the county. He was born in Tuscaloosa county, Ala. January 2, 1829, and is the youngest of the three children born to REUBEN B. and MARY (DAVIS) KENNEDY, natives of South Carolina. REUBEN B. came to Alabama, when quite a young man, and settled in Tuscaloosa county, where he lived thirty-five yeas, and then migrated to Texas, where he passed the reminder of his days. The paternal grandparents of the doctor were natives of Virginia, and were named MAXWELL and FRANCES KENNEDY who came to Alabama when the state was a dense wilderness and inhabited only by wild men. The doctor was reared and educated in his native county until he had reached twenty years of age when he entered the Memphis Medical school from which he graduated in 1851, made a successful practice of medicine until 1861 and then attended the New Orleans Medical School for advanced studies in his profession. Since leaving this institution he has been in constant practice in the vicinage of his present residence. Indeed, so great was the demand for his services that he was not permitted by his neighbors to take up arms during the Civil War but was retained at home to care for the sick and for the wounded soldiers, who flocked to him for surgical aid, and almost made his house a hospital. The doctor is also an extensive planter, owning 6,000 acres of land, of which he keeps 350 under cultivation, and he is also in the drug business at Kennedy, thus having his hands as well as his brains constantly employed. The marriage of the doctor took place in 1855 to Miss ELIZA C., daughter of MARTIN COOPER, of Mississippi. The seven children born to this union were named as follows: FANNIE, wife of W. T. WALKER; JOHN O., a rising young physician; JAMES T., a farmer; MOLLIE, wife of Dr. JOHN H. DUNCAN; JOSEPH L., EDDIE and ELIJAH, deceased. The adult portion of the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and are looked upon with much respect. Fraternally, the doctor is a Freemason, and politically, he is a democrat. He is liberal in his donations to all laudable enterprises, and has always been popular with his fellow citizens, having been the first successful democratic candidate from his district for the legislature after the close of the late war. Since that time he has not placed himself in the field. Source: From Memorial Record of Alabama. By Hannis Taylor, Brant & Fuller, Publishers, Madison, Wis. 1893. Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney
KENNEDY, WILLIAM H., physician, was bom January 2, 1829, in Tuscaloosa County; son of Reuben B. and Mary (Davis) Kennedy, natives of South Carolina, the former who came to Alabama when a young man and settled In Tusoaloosa County, where he lived thirty-five years, then migrated to Texas to spend the remainder of his days; grandson of Maxwell and Frances Kennedy, natives of Virginia, who come to Alabama when the state was a dense wilderness. He was reared and educated in Tuscaloosa County; was graduated from the Memphis medical school in 1861; practiced medicine until 1861; and entered the New Orleans medical school for advanced studies in the profession. After leaving that Institntion, he practiced medicine around Kennedy, Lamar County. He was an extensive planter and also was in the drug business at Kennedy. He was the first successful Democratic candidate to the State legislature from his district after the War of Secession. He was a Methodist and a Mason. Married: in 1865, to Eliza C. Cooper, daughter of Martin Cooper, of Mississippi. Children: 1. Fannie, m. W. T. Walker; 2. John O., physician, m. in 1888, to Miss Winston, Kennedy; 3. James Thomas, internal revenue service, Kennedy; 4. Mollie, m. Dr. John H. Duncan; 6. Joseph L., deceased; 6. Eddie, deceased; 7. Elijah, deceased. Last residence; Kennedy, Lamar County. Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography by Thomas McAdory Owen, Vol III, Published by S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1921. Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BACK TO BIOGRAPHY INDEX
BACK TO MAIN INDEX
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.