Florence Indian Mound
Lauderdale County AL
1028 South Court St
Florence, Lauderdale Co, AL
Before the Cherokees moved into the area in the late 1700's, the Florence and Mussel Shoals area had been home to many other Native Americans, including prehistoric cultures and the historic Chickasaws and Creeks. For many years, it was believed that a thriving Mississippian culture referred to as the Krogers Island People built the Florence Mount on the Tennessee River sometime between 900 and 1200 A.D.
Excerpt of the book "Footsteps of teh Cherokee" by Vicki Rozema.
Located near the banks of the Tennessee River, the Florence Indian Mound is the Tennessee Valley's largest domiciliary mound. It is a typical example of the work of the early Native Americans who lived in Alabama before the Cherokee, Chickasaw and Creek nations inhabited this region.
It is a 42 foot high quadrilateral mound with a summit measuring 145 x 94 feet. Early settlers in the region found steps on the east side and evidence that the mound had been enclosed by a semi-circular earthen wall.
The museum contains Native American artifacts dating back over 10,000 years, arranged in chronological order from Paleo to Historic periods.
From the "City of Florence"
The mound is known as "Wawmanona" and was built about 500 A.D. in a rectangular, flat-topped shape. The mound is 42 feet high, with the summit measuring 145 feet by 94 feet.
Historians say the Indian Mound was used for ceremonies and other tribal activities such as promoting peace and solidarity, commemorating the passing of time and encouraging trade.