OLD HOMES, ESTATES & PLANTATIONS
Lauderdale County AL
" COURTVIEW - ROGERS HALL "
Photo and Information by Sandra Hughes
Courtview Rogers Hall 1855
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street.
In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter,
Sarah Independence McDonald and her family, lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O'Neal in 1922 it
was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers Sr. and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama.
Listed Historic American Buildings Survey National Resister of historic places.
Courtview/Rogers Hall added 1974
Located in the Sannoner Historic District on Court St Florence, Al
Architect builder: John Ballinger Style Greek Rivival period: 1850-1874
George Washington Foster - Photos by Sandra Hughes October 30, 2009
Buried at Florence Cemetery
James B. and Virginia (Foster) Irvine
d/o George Washington and Sarah Independence (Watkins) Foster
Harriet Susan Rogers