S C H O O L S
of

Lauderdale County AL

During the early period elementary school were established in both North Florence and East Florence. Initially they were known as the Fifth and Sixth Ward Schools. In March, 1921, the new Gilbert School replaced both the Fifth Ward School and the Coffee Grammar School which was housed in the high school. The North Florence school was named for Henry C. Gilbert, Superintendent of Education for the years 1892 to 1904. Charles M. Brandon an executive in the Cherry Cotton Mill, headed the movement to establish the new Brandon School which was completed in 1899. It replaced the Six Ward School.


Appleby Junior High School
Henry A. Bradshaw High School
Burrell Normal School
Coffee High School
Florence High School
Florence State Normal School
Florence Synodical Female College
Florence University
Florence Wesleyan University
Forest Hills School
Gravelly Springs School
W. C. Handy School
Harlan School
Rufus G. Hibbett
Esther James School
Maud Lindsay Free Kindergarten School
Normal State School
Oak Grove Seminary
R.M. Patton School
Pine Ridge School
J.W. Powell School
Riverview / H.G. Richards School
St. Michaels / St. Joseph Catholic Schools
Waterloo School
Weeden School

Back to Genealogy Trails