|Welcome to Madison County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
This county is "Up For Adoption"
We transcribe historical and genealogical data to help you track your ancestors through time. Enjoy your visit to Genealogy Trails and don't hesitate to send me your comments, suggestions or corrections.
We offer a growing selection of FREE data.
BIOS, OBITS, MARRIAGES, BIRTHS and MORE.
SHARE YOUR DATA.
Add your ancestor's obit, bio or news item to this site, just send me an email.
If you are interested in hosting one of the available county websites, view our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
Please Note: We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for you.
Don't hesitate to ask a question or submit a query.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * *
. . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Madison County was established on December 13, 1808 by the governor of the Mississippi territory and named in honor of James Madison, fourth President of the United States of America, and the first to visit the state of Alabama. Its county seat is Huntsville. It covers parts of the former Decatur County.
Madison County is recognized as the "birthplace" of Alabama, which was founded here on December 14, 1819.
For much of the county's history, the economy has revolved mostly around agriculture. Madison County was one of the largest cotton-producing counties in the state of Alabama, and textile mills operated around the county.
This all changed when a group of German rocket scientists, led by Wernher von Braun, came to Huntsville in 1950. They developed the Mercury-Redstone Rocket, which eventually became the first vehicle to launch an American into space. Tens of thousands of jobs came to the area as a result of the "space race"
CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
* Gurley * Harvest * Hazel Green * Huntsville (part - part of Huntsville is in Limestone County) *
* Madison (part - part of Madison is in Limestone County) * Meridianville * Moores Mill *
* New Hope * New Market * Owens Cross Roads * Redstone Arsenal * Triana *
Online Data Biographies Birth Records Cemeteries Census Records Church Records Death Records History Marriage Records Military Records Misc Records Newspaper Gleanings Obituaries and Death Records Pioneer Families Queries School Records Wills and Probate Records
- Website Updates:
- Oct 2015: Misc Records: 1913 County Officers; Query: GRAHAMJul 2015: 1939 Confederate PensionersMar 2015: Obit: HORTON - Submitted by Candi Horton
- Feb 2015: Bio: PICKENS
- Jan 2015: Marriage News: ROBERTSON, BROOKS, ROBINSON, JONES, TERRY, FACKLER, FULLINGTON, MARION; Bios: CALDWELL; Death News: SPRAGGINS, MATTHEWS, CLAY, POPE, DARWIN, MITCHEL, SPILLMAN, JOHNSON, CORRIGAN
- Dec 2014: Bio: ROSS, CROSS
- Nov 2014: School: Huntsville State Normal College - transcribed by Michael Upchurch
- Bio: LANSDEN - Transcribed by Kim Mohler
- Oct 2014: 1925 Confederate Pensioners
- Sep 2014: Bio: GRIFFIN - Transcribed by Kim Mohler; Bio: WHITMAN, JONES
- Aug 2014: Bio: CANNADY - Transcribed by Kim Mohler; Bio: ROBINSON, DOWNS, MURRAY, SCRUGGS, HINDS, BALDRIDGE, SKEGGS;
- Jul 2014: Bios: MOORE, HARRIS, DEMENT, ESKINE, BALDRIDGE, LOWRY, SHELBY, BARRON, LOVETT, SMITH, JONES, BANISTER, NEWMAN, MCCULLOUGH, HUNT, WHITE, PATTON, WISE, WELLS, LUDWIG, WHITE, DAVIS, WHITE, CROSS, HUTCHENS, BONE, ECHOLS, ROPER, DUNCAN, MASTIN, MURRAY, SMITH, CURRY, CAMPBELL, STEVENS, RISON, LANDMAN, HUNT, FRANKLE, SLOSS, SKEGGS, BANKS, Obit: LINDSEY; Mil: Civilwar: Southern Claims Commission Applicants
- May 2014: Bio: MASTIN - Transcribed by Nina Kramer; Bio: TAYLOR, ERSKINE, GOODNER - Transcribed by Kim Mohler; Mil: WWI: Wounded List of October 1918 - Submitted by Rose Stout
- Apr 2014: Bio: LOWRY - Transcribed by Kim Mohler; Misc Data: Water Mills of Madison County in 1886
- Mar 2014: Crime News: CHILDRESS
- Feb 2014: History of Huntsville - 1888; List of Known Newspapers of Madison County; Bio: RHETT, O'SHAUGHNASSEY, SPEAKE, TAYLOR, HUMES, PATTON, HUNDLEY, BRANDON, DAY, ROBINSON, LANE, BUCK, COLEMAN
MUCH THANKS TO OUR CONTRIBUTORS
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
Lincoln County, TN (north)
Franklin County, TN (northeast)
Jackson County (east)
Marshall County (southeast)
Morgan County (southwest across the Tennessee River)
Limestone County (west)
VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
OR VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.