|Welcome to Marengo County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
We transcribe historical and genealogical data to help you track your ancestors through time. Enjoy your visit to Genealogy Trails and don't hesitate to send me your comments, suggestions or corrections.
We offer a growing selection of FREE data.
BIOS, OBITS, MARRIAGES, BIRTHS and MORE.
SHARE YOUR DATA.
Add your ancestor's obit, bio or news item to this site, just send me an email.
If you are interested in hosting one of the available county websites, view our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
Please Note: We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for you.
Don't hesitate to ask a question or submit a query.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * *
. . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Marengo County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 6 February 1818, from land acquired from the Choctaw Indians by treaty on 24 October 1816.
It is named in honor of a battlefield near Turin, Italy, where the French defeated the Austrians on June 14, 1800. The county seat is Linden. This name was chosen as a compliment to the first Caucasian settlers, exiled French Bonapartists who in 1817 settled the area around Demopolis in an effort to establish a Vine and Olive Colony.
CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
* Dayton * Demopolis * Faunsdale * Linden * Myrtlewood * Providence
* Sweet Water * Thomaston * Dixons Mills * Jefferson * Magnolia * Nanafalia *
Online Data Birth Records Biographies Cemeteries Census Records Church Records Death Records History Marriage Records Military Records Misc Records Newspaper Gleanings Obituaries and Death Notices Pioneers Post Offices School Records Wills and Probate Records
- Website Updates:
- Jul 2015: 1939 Confederate PensionersJan 2015: Married News: HALE, THOMPSON, NOLES, WOOD, MARX, LAUB, NORTH, WHEELER; Death News; CLIFT, PICKERING, GLOVER, GALLION, ALLEN, WINN, TORBERT; Calamity News: MCCRARY fire; School News: 1922 new teachers
- Nov 2014: Early Settlers of Marengo County - Transcribed by Debra Hudson and Camellia
- Oct 2014: 1925 Confederate Pensioners
- Sep 2014: Bio: DuBOSE
- Jul 2014: Mil: Civilwar: Southern Claims Commission Applicants
- Apr 2014: History: Water Mills of Marengo County in 1886
- Feb 2014: List of Known Newspapers of Marengo County
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
* Hale County (north)
* Perry County (northeast)
* Dallas County (east)
* Wilcox County (southeast)
* Clarke County (south)
* Choctaw County (southwest)
* Sumter County (northwest)
* Greene County (north-northwest)
VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
OR VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.