To Marion County
Genealogy and History
HOME Bio Index
Page 2 - BIOGRAPHIES
DONHAM, DANIEL O.
Daniel O. Donham, a successful hardware, furniture and implement dealer of Covington, Texas, has lived in the vicinity since he was a boy of five years. He was born in Marion county, Alabama, March 3, 1879, son of William J. and Sarah (Duke) Donham. William J. Donham was born in Marion county, Alabama, in 1845, and served four years in the Confederate army. He grew up on the farm of his father, who was of Scotch-Irish parentage, and became a successful farmer. He and his wife reared a large family, among whom were J. Polk; Daeline, who married James Kennedy; Hulda, wife of James Wallace; and Arvie, who married Fakey Goggins. William J. Donham received only a meager education in the country schools. His family held slaves before the war. He married Sarah, daughter of John Duke, who was killed in the Confederate army. Mrs. Donham died in 1896, having borne her husband the following children: Ellen, of Alabama, wife of Dill Stidham; Arvie. Mrs. Thomas Dawdy; Sis. who married Will Dawdy, of Covington: Delia. who married Robert Capps. of Covington; Anne, who married Sidney Huddléston, of Greer county. Oklahoma; John, who lives in the same county in Oklahoma; William. of Runnells county, Texas; Mark, also in the same county; and Daniel O.
The early education of Daniel O. Donham was acquired in the vicinity of Covington, and he applied himself to his studies with good results. He remained with his parents until he reached his majority, then learned the trade of a blacksmith, which he followed on his own account some six years. In this way he saved enough money to purchase a farm, and after carrying it on two years he purchased the hardware stock of Mr. Wallace in 1909. About ten years previous to this he had started life on his own account with about eighty dollars in money, and he now owns a good stock of merchandise. a home in Covington, and three small farms. He has always been ambitious and enterprising, making the most of his opportunities. He has devoted himself closely to his business interests and takes no very active part in political or other affairs. He simply does his duty as a citizen by voting, but does not care for public office for himself. He is a Mason.
In April, 1905, Mr. Donham married Effie, daughter of James Watson and sister of Robert L. Watson, given extensive mention elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Donham was born near Osceola, Hill county, in 1884. She and Mr. Donham have two children, Ramon and James. (A History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 2, Compiled by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Published by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
BROWN, WILSON R.
Wilson R. Brown, was born in Marion, Ala., September 5, 1860. He received his education at Howard College, that city, and became teller in the bank there when but fifteen years of age. A year later he accepted a situation in a wholesale dry goods store at Selma, Ala., and while engaged in that concern, made good use of his spare time by reading Blackstone. In 1883 he went to Nashville, Tenn., and engaged as traveling salesman for a large wholesale establishment. Three years later he returned to Marion and edited the Marion Standard for one year. In December, 1886, he engaged in the real estate business at Sheffield, and is now the president of the Real Estate Association of that city.
Mr. Brown is one of the most active and brilliant young men of Sheffield, and has been recognized as among those who take the most interest in the progress of that rapidly advancing city.
The subject of this sketch is a son of Wilson K. and Mary C. (Parrish) Brown. The senior Mr. Brown was born in Mathews County, Va., in 1815, came to Marion County, this State, in 1836, and resided there until his death, which occurred in 1882. He was first a merchant and planter, and in his later years carried on a banking business. He was a very wealthy man before the war. His wife, Mary C, was born in Hillsborough, N. C. Her mother, Elizabeth Huntington, was a native of Connecticut. The Huntington family are of English descent. Our subject's parents reared seven sons and one daughter, viz.: Charles G., an attorney at Birmingham; Wilbur, Henry P., Wilson R., David H. , Eugene L., and W. G., a professor in the Marion Military Institute. Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
HOLLADAY, JOHN D.
John D. Holladay, of Santaquin, Utah county, was born in Marion county, Alabama, June 22, 1826, and is the son of John Holladay and Catherine Higgins Holladay. His grandfather, Daniel Holladay, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. John D. Holladay was raised on a southern plantation. He came to Utah in October, 1848, and was married to Mahala R. H. Matthews in November of the same year. In 1851, Mr. Holladay went with Amasa Lyman, Charles C. Rich and others to Los Angeles, Cal., and was interested in the purchase of the big San Bernardino ranch, which afterwards became the county of San Bernardino. He was one of the first officers of the county, serving as sheriff part of the time and the rest of the time as marshal until 1857, when he returned to Utah.
In 1858, he went on another exploring trip on the Colorado river, some distance below the Grand Falls. In the fall of the same year, he moved to Santaquin, his present home, where he was elected captain of a militia company, organized to protect the settlers against the Indians.
In 1866, he was called on to take charge of a church train to the Missouri river and return. In speaking of that trip to a Herald reporter, Mr. Holladay said:
That trip, I believe, was the severest of my life. I had charge of sixty-nine wagons, 390 emigrants, and some 500 head of stock. The Sioux Indians were on a warpath and caused much trouble."
Mr. Holladay has been a trustee for many years in his own city and was once deputy sheriff of Utah county. He is an active politician and has attended most of the conventions of his party since the division movement. It is largely due to his efforts that Santaquin is such a rock-ribbed Democratic centre. (Source: The Salt Lake Herald, March 28, 1895)
WILKERSON, BOWLING HAMMOND
The following is a biographical sketch of B. H. Wilkerson, county superintendent of education of Lamar county, Alabama:
Bowling Hammond Wilkerson, the present county superintendent-elect of education of Lamar county, Ala., with residence at Vernon, and one of the leading educators of the State of Alabama, was born in Marion county, Ala., on March 22, 1852, the son of B. H. and Elizabeth (Ray) Wilkerson. The father was a native of Putnam County, Ga., where he was born October 2, 1827. At the outbreak of the civil war he lived near Sulligent, Ala., where he was justice of the peace and schoolmaster. He was one of the first to enlist, and he did valiant services in the Sixtieth Alabama until the bloody battle of Shiloh. Diligent search at the time failed to discover any trace of him,and it is supposed he lies in an unmarked grave on the field he so bravely defended. His widow survived him until the 5th of September of the present year, when she died near the old homestead in the 86th year of her age. Mr. Wilkerson was a son of Lemmel and Nancy (Bowling) Wilkerson, who were pioneers to Western Alabama from Putnam county Ga. His widow is the daughter of David Ray and Susan Pickle. David was one of the Andrew Jackson boy soldiers during the Florida-Indian war, the Rays having moved to Huntsville, Ala., from Tennessee prior to that time. The Wilkersons removed from Virginia to Georgia, where they became prominent in the public life of the State, Grandfather Lemmel Wilkerson having been on the bench for years as circuit judge. The maternal great-grandmother of B. H. Wilkerson was Polly Mangrum, daughter of the noted Revolutionary soldier, Daniel Mangrum. Three of the six children born to B. H. and Elizabeth Wilkerson survive – B. H., G. B. and Elizabeth. G. B. Wilkerson is a prominent farmer, living near Newburg, Oklahoma; Elizabeth is the wife of R. W. Jaggers, a worthy farmer, residing near Sulligent, Lamar county, Ala. B. H. Wilkerson was reared in Marion county, Ala. (now Northern Lamar), and worked every year on a farm until his twenty-fourth year, when he left the farm without a dollar in 1875, and entered the Military Academy in Lamar county, the then only high school in the county, and remained a pupil for three years, being out each year long enough to teach a three-months' school, when he would pay up and re-enter, graduating from the Vernon Institute in 1890, with the highest honors of his class. He has been elected seven times by the popular vote of the people of his county as superintendent of education of Lamar county, having been elected in the past November election without opposition. He is now principal of the Ayres district state public school in Lamar county, and will begin his seventh term as county superintendent of education on October 1, 1909. He holds a life teacher's certificate from the state board of examiners of Alabama. A Jacksonian Democrat in politics Prof. Wilkerson is yet quite liberal in his views on public questions, willing to credit the opposition with what of good is accomplished for the country. He is now a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church south and affiliates with those of the oldest societies, the Masons, the Odd Fellows and K. of Ps. On May 7, 1878, he married Miss Willie, daughter of Alexander and Mary Elander (Coleman) Atkins, a family of prominence in the county, living near Fernbank. To the marriage have been born the following children: Mary Elizabeth, married William Matthews Atkins, a machinist of Columbus, Miss.; Minnie Laurie, married Rev. L. M. Harris, pastor of the First Methodist church, Cordova, Ala.' Martha Eastman, married Dr. A. C. Branyon, of Pinson, Ala; Ellie Adine, a student in the Lamar county high school; Rowland Milner, a student in the Vernon Institute, and Oliver Alexander, a lad of six and ha half years.
“Dan” (The Columbus Weekly Dispatch, Columbus, Miss, Dec 24, 1908)
BACCUS, WILLIAM B. "BILL"
William B. (Bill) Baccus was born October 7, 1843, in Morgan County, Georgia. He enlisted as a Private in the 5th Alabama Cavalry in the spring of 1862, and he listed his address as Baccus, Alabama, which is in Marion County. In the 1907 Confederate Census he mentioned that he was a Bugler. He was discharged at the end of the war at Columbus, Mississippi, in 1865. After he was discharged, a shoe store in Columbus offered him a job selling shoes in Alabama and he started out selling shoes from a train. At each station he would go to the back of the train, blow his bugle, and attract a crowd. The other sellers on the train finally objected to this tactic and forced him to go to the middle of the train to sell his shoes. He blew his bugle there and still attracted a crowd. He later sold shoes from his buggy in West Alabama.
MATTHEWS, KIZZIAH "KIZZIE" CHARITY
While out selling shoes, he received a message: "If you want to sell shoes and get a wife, come to our house and sell them cheap" from a young Matthews' girl. He managed to end a day of selling shoes at their house and was invited to spend the night. He had spent the previous night at the Holcomb residence and found the house dirty and full of bugs, so he didn't take any chances at the Matthews house. Before getting into bed, he looked under the bed, between the covers, and under the furniture to see how clean the room was. He commented that this was the cleanest house that he had ever been in. He did not marry the girl who was interested in him, but he did marry her sister Kizziah.
Kizziah (Kizzie) Charity Matthews was born October 8, 1852, in Baccus, Alabama, and she married Bill Baccus December 2, 1868. Bill started a business and store in Baccus which greatly prospered. He would get up each morning fussing and carrying on until everyone was at work, and then he would settle down for the rest of the day. The two oldest girls would help their mother cook each day, and if one of them got married, the next oldest girl would take her place in the kitchen. Any person who was in the store shopping during lunch time was invited to have lunch with the family. Often there were more than 20 people eating lunch at the store. During the evening, Bill would sometimes hitch up the horse and buggy and would ride around and see all the neighbors while having a drink along the way. He could often be heard calling out to his friends for miles around. Several times a year he would take the Ox Cart to Biloxi, Mississippi, to get salt, and he would trade along the way. Bill's business prospered as he supplied farmers with seed, fertilizer, horses, and other farming equipment. When the crops came in, it was payday for Bill and his son John, who helped run the business.
Bill was reported to be a diabetic, along with two of his children (Belle and Martha Ann) and grandchildren. In Bill's Will, he stated that he wanted a "suitable monument to be placed at my grave", and it is the tallest monument at Griggs Place Cemetery. Bill died on December 8, 1910, and Kizzie died on April 10, 1926, after breaking her hip in a fall. They are buried beside each other at Griggs Place Cemetery.
On November 19, 1990, a Confederate Marker Dedication Ceremony was held in honor of Bill at Griggs Place Cemetery. Over 250 relatives and friends of the Baccus family attended, including 4 grandchildren of Bill and Kizzie, and 58 direct descendants of them. A Confederate Honor Guard from the 19th Alabama Infantry Reenactment Unit fired a 21-gun salute, and William R. "Bob" Baccus played Taps in his honor. - Submitted by Bob Baccus
ANDERSON, JAMES P.
For many years closely allied with the agricultural and industrial prosperity of McLennan county, James P. Anderson, having accomplished a satisfactory work as a ranchman and a farmer, is now living retired from active business cares at his home in Waco. He was born, June 11, 1855, in Cherokee county, Texas, a son of Col. J. M. Anderson, for many years a brilliant light at the bar of Texas. His grandfather, Edmund P. Anderson, was born in Virginia, from there migrating to Alabama, where he lived until 1826. He then moved with his family to Tennessee, locating near Lebanon, where his death occurred a short time later. Two of his sons settled in Texas. Col. J. M. Anderson, and Rev. Edmund P., who died in Brown county in 1902.
Born in Marion county, Alabama, in 1824, Col. J. M. Anderson was but two years old when his parents located near Lebanon, Tennessee, where he was bred and educated. Determined as a youth to acquire a good legal education, it was no unusual thing to find him buried in a text book on law while attempting to add to the family exchequer by working in a tan yard or at the tan kiln. Continuing his studies under difficulties, he was graduated from the Lebanon Law School with a good record for scholarship, and when ready to establish himself in life opened a law office in Cherokee county, Texas. Enlisting in the Confederate Army on the breaking out of the Civil war, his service was conspicuous as he was a staff officer of General Baylor, his position entitling him to the rank of colonel.
As a lawyer, Colonel Anderson was prominent in the state. Well grounded in the principles of law, he was an able expounder of the text, while his technique was so comprehensive that his analysis of a case at the bar seldom led him astray. As a general practitioner, Colonel Anderson had few peers in Texas, and when, in 1889, he laid down the burden of life the bar of McLennan county suffered an irreparable loss. Colonel Anderson married Winnifred Polk. who was born in Missouri, and died in 1908, in Waco, Texas. Her father, Andrew Polk, was born in Tennessee, belonging to the family which furnished the United States with a president, his father having been a farmer and a slave owner. He removed to Missouri soon after its admission to statehood. and there spent his remaining years. To the Colonel and Mrs. Anderson six children were born, as follows: Charles E., of Austin; James P., the special subject of this sketch; Stockton D., of Houston: Lula. wife of R. J. Kimbrough, of Los Angeles, California; William P., of Weathersford; and Annie May, wife of Dr. H. M. Lanham, of Waco.
Cultured and talented, James P. Anderson attended the Baylor University, completing his early education at the Washington and Lee University, in Lexington, Virginia. On leaving college, he became a shepherd on the wild waste of prairie tributary to Waco, and while herding sheep made his first acquaintance with the subject of law. On one occasion some countrymen passing his herd chanced to catch him poring over a book, and asked him what he was reading, the reply given being “law.”
As the travelers passed on, one said to his companion, “Do you reckon that fool shepherd will ever make a lawyer?“ After continuing his studies in his father's office for awhile, Mr. Anderson was admitted, in 1881, to the bar before Judge B. W. Rimes, and was soon admitted to the firm of which his father was the head, becoming junior member of the firm of Anderson. Flint and Anderson.
At the end of eight years Mr. Anderson abandoned legal pursuits in favor of agricultural labor, engaging in the cattle business as a more invigorating and promising field of action. In the prosecution of his chosen calling as a farmer, he met with marked success. acquiring title to thirty-five hundred acres of ranching and farming land in and adjoining McLennan county. This magnificent ranch has gradually yielded to the demands of agriculture, the former vast extents of wild prairie grass now producing immense crops of cotton each year. fully two-thirds of the Anderson domain now responding to the magical touch of the progressive farmer.
Mr. Anderson married, September 3, 1879, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Jane L. McGown, a daughter of Henry McGown. Two children have blessed their union, namely: Nellie K., wife of R. P. Prowell, of Tuscaloosa, Alabama; and Marie K., who was graduated from the Waco High School, and having taken a post-graduate course at the Baylor University, further advanced her education by travel abroad, having spent several months in Europe during the year of 1910. (Source: A History of Central and Western Texas, Volume 2, by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Lewis Publishing Company, 1911)
HOME Bio Index