To Marion County
HAMILTON APPEAL -
From the Introduction on the roll of microfilm from
the Alabama Department of Archives and History:
After his departure from The Hamilton News-Press, J.
S. CLEMENTS was able to start another weekly paper, The Hamilton
Appeal. Its first appearance was on January 17, 1896.
Declaring its politics as "strictly democratic," the
Appeal promised "at all times to battle for the right as it sees
it." While recognizing that "it takes money to run a
newspaper, and the editor who hopes to succeed on soft words of
promise and encouragement is doomed to disappointment."
Whatever the reason, CLEMENTS was ultimately disappointed in his
venture. In mid-1897 (sic - it was actually mid-1896), he sold
it to H. T. MORGAN'S Guin Gazette, which appeared thereafter as The
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved
for Original Contributor