From the introduction from the roll of microfilm
from the Alabama Department of Archives and History:
The Hamilton Free Press and The Hamilton News
Press - These two weeklies are part of an intersting, if
confusing, chapter in Marion County's publication history.
The Hamilton Free Press was founded on October 11, 1893, with J.
S. CLEMENTS as editor and proprietor. R. N. TERRILL, who had
started The Marion County News in July 1894, purchased The Free
Press at the end of that year. For most of its brief tenure,
The Hamilton News-Press was thus "the only newspaper publislhed in
Marion County, Alabama.: It first appeared on January 2,
CLEMENTS had remained as editor of the united
News-Press, but was replaced in June by S. E. WILSON. On
August 1, TERRILL sold the paper to R. F. CARNES, who sold it in
turn to his editor and G. J. WILSON on November 27. What was
presumably the last issue of the News-Press appeared on December
26. On January 2, 1896, The Marion County News returned to
publication, with the WILSONS listed as editors and owners.
It continued under that title until 1959.