Hon. Joseph C. Rich, Mayor
First Ward - John Gaillard
Second Ward - Rufus Dane
Third Ward - Frederic C. Scheible
Fourth Ward - Abraham
,Fifth Ward - Patrick J. Gibney
SixthWard - Joseph
Seventh Ward - Wm. J., Patterson
Eighth Ward -
Aldermen At Large
Thomas S. Fry - Rhett Goode
Patrick W. Kelly - John
Thomas E. Russell - Blount Sossaman
Elected By The General Council
City Attorney - Charles. J. Torrey
City Clerk -
John F. Summersell
City Engineer - D.M. N. Ross
Sexton - Peter F. Alba
City Tax Collector - F. Petrinovich
Chief of Police - Richard Felder
Clerk of SOuthern Market
- M.J. Duggan
Committee Clerk - Thos. Daly
Naval Stores - A.A. Voss
License Officer - D.W. Petty
Street Commissioner - H.G. Kearns
Committee No. 1 - Ways and Means, comprising
public grounds, wharves and river front - Thomas S. Fry, chairman,
A.Baerman, W.J. patterson
Committee No. 2 - comprising markets, hospital
and municipal buildings - Caleb Toxey, chairman, Jno. J. McAfee,
T. E. Russell.
Committee No.3 - Streets, comprising street
railroads, public lights. Rufus Dane, chairman, Jno. Gaillard, Wm.
Committee No.4 - Fire Department, comprising
fire alarm, water supply - Rhett Goode, chairman, B. Sossaman, F.
Committee No.5 - Police force and guardhouse.
P. J. Gibney, chairman, J. T. Hawkins, P. W. Kelly.
Richard Felder, chief of police
Charles E. Spencer,
Lieutenant of police.
Eugene A. Eastburn, Joseph Hart, John
McGuire, sergeants of police.
John Bressingham, Thomas B.
McGovern, special officers.
Augustus B. Roulston, secretary to
chief of police.
George W. Drago , sanitary officer
William H. Bancroft, armorer
Police officers - Henry J. Binzer, John W. Bridges,
John M. Brown, H. Kenney Cleveland, Benj. P. Clonan,John Cummings,
Jules Delhomme, Frank J. Demouy, Daniel P. Fletcher, Hugh Fox,
Michael Gaynor, LevJ. D. Gibson, W. Duncan Hall, Chas. B. Harwell,
Chas. R. Huggips, Leonard G. Jarvis, Albert H. Jennette, John King
jr., Jeremiah S. Lynch, Patrick J. Lynch, John McArdle, John
McCarron, Mortimer L. McKean, Alza W. Moore, Dominick 0'Connor,
Richard H. Puckett, Edward T. Rondeau, William A. Ryan, Jas. Y .
Shaw, John A. Tardy, Geo. J. Townsend, Peter Untreiner, William J.
Supernumeraries - Joseph R. Abrams, Robert Brady Kyle
Cloud, Rodger Jones, John Joseph, John J. Leonard, Ferdinariand
Oberkirch, Albert M. Palmas.
City Paid Fire-Department - Organized 1889
Mathew Sloan, Chief Engineer and Fire Warden
C. Walter Soost, Assistant Chief Engineer.
Creole No.1, Engine Company: House southwest
corner St. Francis and Dearborn. Benj. T. Collins president; Simon
Durette, foreman; Frank Trenier, first assistant; J.W. Perez,
second assistant; Frank Petit, secretary and treasurer; John
Chestang, steward; Thomas Meyers, engineer; Thomas Grant,
housekeeper; J.P. Andry, R. Trenier, B. Boudin, J. Mathews, J. A.
Pope, Aug. Nicholas, Walter Tarleton, Phil Belasco, T. P. Cox, W.
J. Pope, Alex. Perez, A. Lalande, A. Lalande, jr., J. R. Borras,
Joseph. McArdle, Peter Durette, A. Bertrand, B. Nicholas, G.
Laurendine, A. Laurendine, J. Laurendine, C.P. Weeks, C.
Engine Company No.2 - House north side of'St.
Louis street, fourth west of Water street. H. A. Dolle, captain;
R. Schneider, Sam Lose and Gus Rehm, firemen.
Engine Company No. 3 - House west side of
Franklin street, second south of Church street. George Myrick,
captain; John McNamara, A. Ducaurneau, Charles Duncan, Allee
Bolling and James Anderson, fireman
Hook and, Ladder Cpmpany No. 4 - House east
side of St. Joseph street, second north of Dauphin street. George
A. Moore, captain; Charles Stacey, Charles Joullian, H. Wackernah,
James Keefe, Joseph Moore, John Davis and Thomas Lahan, firemen.
Truck Company No. 5 - House west side of
Lawrence street, third south of St. Francis street. John H.
Marquis, captain; Emlle Medicus, John King and R. Williamson,
Mobile, the county seat of Mobile county, and the only seaport
of the State of Alabama, is situated at the mouth of Mobile river,
the head of Mobile bay and thirty-three miels from the Gulf of
Mexico. By the United States Coast Survey, it is located in
Latitude 30 deg. 41 min. 28 sec. N-Longitude 87 deg. 59 min. W.
The area of the City of Mobile, including Blakely island, which is
in the City limits, is about 4,500 acres; of which 1,000 is
Population (U.S. Census 1880) 31, 295
Mobile was first occupied (its present site) by the French
under Bienville, on the 11th ofMarch 1711. On the 14th ofMay 1812,
Mobile was included in the Mississippi territory. On the 20th of
January 1814, Mobile was incorporated as a town, and on the 17th
of December 1819, two days before Alabama was admitted into the
Union, Mobiel was incorporated as a city, the area of which was
about 10,000 acres. By an act of the General Assembly, approved
February 11, 1879, the city charter was repealed and the Port of
Mobile incorporated and its limit and boundaries established. By a
subsequent act of the General Assembly, approved December 10,
1886, the name was changed and the Port restored to its former
name and title of the City of Mobile, its boundaries being without
change. The legislature department is vested in a Mayor and Board
of Aldermen and Board of Councilmen, which meeting and acting
together shall be styled "The Mayor and General Council" The
Aldermen, COuncilmen and Mayor serve for three years..
Boundaries of Wards
First Ward - North and east by City Limits,
south by St. Louis, and west by Franklin Street.
Second Ward - North by St. Louis, east by
Mobile river, south by St. Francis and west by Franklin
Third Ward - North by St. Francis, east by
Mobile river, southo by Conti, and west by Franklin
Fourth Ward - North by Conti, east by Mobiie
river south by Monroe, and west by Franklin street.
Fifth Ward - North by Monroe , east by Mobiel
river, south by Mobile bay and west by Franklin street.
Sixth Ward - North by Dauphin street, and
Springhill avenue, east by Franklin, south by Virginia street and
Mobile bay and west by Washington avenue and Willkinson street.
Seventh Ward - North by Davis avenue and
Morgan street, west by Catharine street, east by Franklin, and
south by Dauphin street and Springhill avenue.
EighthWard - North by Springhill Avenue, west
by Catharine street, south by Virginia street, and east by
Washington avenue and Wilkinson street.
Catholic Female Orphan Asylum - Southeast
corner Conti and Franklin streets, under the immediate control of
the Sisters of Charity. Sister Marianno, Superintendent.
Catholic Male Orphan Asylum - West side of
Lafayette street, north of Dauphin way, under the immediate
control of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Brother Gontram,
Protestant Orphan Asylum - South side of
Dauphin way, fourth west of Broad, under the control of the
Protestant Orphan Asylum Society. Mrs. Anna H. Malone, Matron.
Church Home - Episcopal Orphan Asylum for
Girls - West side of Warren, second north of Eslava.. For Boys -
West side of Wilkinson, head of Palmetto.
Martha's Home for the Aged and Infirm - South
side of Adams second west of Franklin, Rev. J. L. Lancaster,
Widow's Row - Homes for widowed women under
control of The Female Benevolent Society, north side of Eslava
from Warren to Dearborn streets.
Colored Orphan Asylum - East side of Warren
third south of Monroe, Mrs. Carrie E. Bryant, colored, Matron.
City Hospital -
North side of St. Anthony, between Jefferson and Broad streets,
under the charge of the faculty of the Medical College. William
Sayers Duff, M. D. Superintendent. Calvin N. Owen, M. D., and
William R. Jackson, M. D., attending physicians. Curtis B. Carter,
Marion T . Gaines, George, A . Moore and Abner N . Steele,
resident students. Receives and treats to extent of 44 patients
per day from the city.
Hospital Committee for the Faculty - W.B.
Pape, M.D., Chairman; T.S Scales, M.D. and G.Owen, M.D.
Providence Infirmary, South side of St.
Anthony, between Jefferson and Broad streets, under the
superintendence of the Sisters of Charity, Sister Augustine in
United States Marine Hospital. North side of
St. Anthony between Bayou and Jefferson streets. John Vansant,
U.S.M.H.S. surgeon in charge.
Catholic Cemetery - On the north side of Davis
avenue, beyond Three-mile Creek. John Rosette, Sexton.
Jewish Cemetery - South side of Virginia, west
of Marine street. Entrance on Virginia. Patrick McGrath keeper.
Magnolia Cemetery - Located south of Texas,
north of Virginia, and west of Chatham streets. Entrances head of
George and of New Jersey and on Ann and Virginia. Hiram E. Davis,
National Cemetery - North side of Virginia,
between Ann and Chatham streets. Col. Lucian B. Gould,
Old Grave Yard - On Church street, between
Government and Monroe and Bayou and Wilkinson streets. Entrances
on Bayou and Church and Wilkinson streets. Richard Farrell Keeper.