|Welcome to Russell County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
This Russell County Website
is available for adoption.
Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers.
If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic web-authoring skills, consider joining us! If hosting isn't for you, we can use your help in other ways. Get the details on our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for folks.
All data we come across will be added to this site. We thank you for visiting and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * * . . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Russell County Alabama
Russell County was established by an act of the state general assembly on December 18, 1832, from lands ceded to the state by the Creek Indians. Its name is in honor of Colonel Gilbert C. Russell, who fought in the wars against the Creek Indians.
The county seat has changed several times: Girard (1833-1839), Crawford originally Crockettsville (1839-1868), Seale (1868-1935) and Phenix City (1935-present).
Courthouse Photo: Courtesy of Alabama State Government
CITIES, TOWNS, AND POPULATED PLACES
* Phenix City (partly in Lee County) * Hurtsboro *
* Cottonton * Crawford * Fort Mitchell * Glenville * Hatchechubbee * Holy Trinity * Hooks *
* Pittsview * Seale * Uchee * Ladonia *
Check your attics!
Dust off your family scrapbooks!
We're looking for DATA for this site!!!
If you are interested in adding your families' information to this website, Email Us.
We'll be happy to help your families' obituaries, news items and other historical data find a home here at Alabama Genealogy Trails, where it will remain free for all to view.
Online Data Biographies Birth Records Cemeteries Census Records Church Records County Records Death Records History Marriage Records Military Records Miscellaneous Data Post Offices School Records Wills & Probates
- Website Updates:Apr 2016: County Records: 1907 County Officers
- Jan 2016: County Records: 1931 County Officers; Cemetery: STEWART BURYING GROUND, VILLULA METHODIST CHURCH CEMETERY, GLENVILLE CEMETERY, BROWDER-MITCHELL CEMETERY - transcribed by Vicki Bryan
- Oct 2015: County Records: 1913 County Officers
- Jul 2015: 1939 Confederate Pensioners
- May 2015: Redecorated site and now all pages are mobile friendly
- Jan 2015: Death News: SHIPMAN, RICHARDSON, CRAWFORD; Married News: GRAVES, DAWSON, MCMANUS, PACE, Civil War News: 1863 Deserters of the 15th Alabama Regiment: AARON, HILL, RYAN, ADAMS, Community News; GORDON
SEARCH OUR SITES
Submit an Obituary to Us
for any of our county sites.
The Russell County Courthouse
Office of Probate
501 14th St.
Phenix City, AL 36867
Phone: 334-298-7963; 334-298-7979
Russell County Public Library
1501 17th Avenue
Phenix City, AL 36867
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.