|Welcome to Russell County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
We transcribe historical and genealogical data to help you track your ancestors through time. Enjoy your visit to Genealogy Trails and don't hesitate to send me your comments, suggestions or corrections.
We offer a growing selection of FREE data.
BIOS, OBITS, MARRIAGES, BIRTHS and MORE.
SHARE YOUR DATA.
Add your ancestor's obit, bio or news item to this site, just send me an email.
If you are interested in hosting one of the available county websites, view our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
Please Note: We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for you.
Don't hesitate to ask a question or submit a query.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * *
. . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Courthouse Photo: Courtesy of Alabama State Government
Russell County Courthouse - Phenix City, AL
Russell County was established by an act of the state general assembly on December 18, 1832, from lands ceded to the state by the Creek Indians. Its name is in honor of Colonel Gilbert C. Russell, who fought in the wars against the Creek Indians.
The county seat has changed several times: Girard (1833-1839), Crawford originally Crockettsville (1839-1868), Seale (1868-1935) and Phenix City (1935-present).
CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
* Glenville * Hurtsboro * Ladonia * Phenix City (part in Lee County)
Wills & Probates
- Website Updates:
- January 2015: Death News: SHIPMAN, RICHARDSON, CRAWFORD; Married News: GRAVES, DAWSON, MCMANUS, PACE, Civil War News: 1863 Deserters of the 15th Alabama Regiment: AARON, HILL, RYAN, ADAMS, Community News; GORDON
- October 2014: 1925 Confederate Pensioners
- September 2014: Bio: DENSON
- July 2014: Military: Civilwar: Southern Claims Commission Applicants
- April 2014: History: Water Mills of Russell County in 1886
- February 2014: List of Known Newspapers of Russell County
- January 2014: Bio; BAKER, BURKES - Transcribed by Gene P.
The Russell County Courthouse
Office of Probate
501 14th St.
Phenix City, AL 36867
Phone: 334-298-7963; 334-298-7979
Russell County Public Library
1501 17th Avenue
Phenix City, AL 36867
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
Lee County (north)
Muscogee County, GA (northeast)
Chattahoochee Co., GA (east)
Stewart County, GA (southeast)
Barbour County (south)
Bullock County (southwest)
Macon County (northwest)
VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
OR VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.