|Russell County, Alabama Genealogy Trails|
|HISTORY OF HURTSBORO|
Hurtsboro Welcome Sign
HURTSBORO, Town In Russell County, on the Central of Georgia Railway and the Seaboard Air Line Railway, 16 miles west of Scale, and 64 miles east of Montgomery. The corporate limits include all tho territory in a circle having a diameter of 1 mile, from a center at the crossing of Main Street and the Central of Georgia Railway tracks. Altitude: 346 feet. Population: 1890—433; 1900—407; 1910—764. It was originally incorporated by the legislature in 1872, but adopted the municipal code in 1908. It has a public school building, erected In 1909 at a cost of $10,000; an electric light and water plant, erected In 1914 at a cost of $32,000; a volunteer fire department, organized in 1914; 4-1/2 miles of sanitary sewerage, installed In 1914 at a cost of $11,000; and an unimproved municipal park of five acres. Its bonded indebtedness Is $43.000—$10,000. 6 per cent school bonds due In 1929, $24,000, 6 per cent water and light bonds due in 1924, and $9,000, 5 per cent water and light extension bonds due in 1936. The Hurtsboro Tribune, established by W. J. Baldwin, January 17, 1913, is published there. The Bank of Hurtsboro (State) and the Farmers and Merchants Bank (State), are its banking Institutions. Its industries are a cotton seed oil mill, 2 cotton ginneries, 4 cotton warehouses, 2 fertilizer plants, 2 gristmills, a planing mill, 3 sawmills, a bottling plant, and the municipal plants above referred to.
The town was originally "Station No. 4" on the Mobile & Girard Railroad. In 1857 Joel Hurt, Sr., from Edenton, Ga., located there, and with William Marshall, bought the land now included in the town, and established a sawmill. In 1868 when the Mobile & Glrard Railroad reached the place, the mill company laid off the town, with the mill in the center, and called it Hurtville for the principal founder. The first church was founded by the Methodists, Rev. Mr. Pilley, pastor. The post office was established in 1860, with James P. Marshall as postmaster. He was succeeded by T. C. Hill who served from 1861 to 1866. On account of a similarity to the name Huntsvllle and consequent confusion in the handling of mails, the name was changed to Hurtsborough in 1882 and shortly thereafter the spelling was altered to Hurtsboro. The Savannah, Amerlcus & Montgomery Railroad (now Seaboard Air Line Railway) reached the town in 1892.
Among the early settlers were Nimrod W. Long, first representative from the county in the legislature, Ed. N. Brown, Jr., the Mexican railway and mining engineer, and Joel Hurt, Jr.
- Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Vol. 1 by Thomas McAdory Owen 1921, and Wikipedia;
- Submitted by C. AnthonyMain Street - HurtsboroHurtsboro City Grill Cafe - Local LandmarkHurtsboro Library
BACK TO HISTORY INDEX
BACK TO MAIN INDEX
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.