Tallapoosa County, Alabama Genealogy Trails

SANDY CREEK COMMUNITY

Sandy Creek Community is a community north of  Camp Hill, Alabama and at one time this was a thriving community. There was a store owned by Ms. Nannie Gililand, that was the meeting place on Sunday afternoons where some men and women visited, traded yarn, played dominoes and rook while the kids played outside games at Glayds and Olene Slaughter's house. Sandy Creek Baptist Church was established in 1838 and its Singing School was once taught by Guy Slay.

The Community Park was located near the creek, the water in the creek was very cold but good for swimming and there were huge rocks near that made it the perfect meeting place for families to have a picnic.

The former school was also the old Community Club House was a meeting place for the ladies of the community. They would help one another prepare one another's vegetables.

Researched and submitted by April Wood James

 

BACK TO MAIN INDEX

VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE

OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE

 

Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.