Tallapoosa County, Alabama Genealogy Trails
|TOWN OF DADEVILLE|
The Dadeville area was the junction point where the roads met leading from Georgia and Tennessee to the trading posts at Wetumpka and Montgomery. As early as thr 1800's there were Indian trading post on the land. John H. Broadnax surveyed the City of Dadeville about three years before Tallapoosa County was formed. The town was named for Major Francis L. Dade, a hero in the Seminole war in Florida.Major Francis L. Dade
Dadeville was named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade, who died in the Seminole War in 1835. The town was granted a charter in 1837 and was first incorporated in 1858, lost its charter during the Civil War, and was incorporated a second time in 1878. Dadeville has been the Tallapoosa County seat since 1838.
Dadeville was home to the Graefenberg Medical Institute, Alabama's first medical school, which operated from 1852 until the outbreak of the Civil War; attempts to rehabilitate the school after the war failed, and the building burned in 1873.
Completion of the Thomas Wesley Martin Dam on the Tallapoosa River in 1926 and the subsequent creation of Lake Martin had and continues to have a strong economic impact on Dadeville.
Source: Written by April Wood James
DADEVILLE HISTORIC COLLEGES
Source: Records of April Wood James
OLD HOMEPLACE JUST OFF 34 IN DADEVILLE
Source: submitted by Donna Poczekaj 22 Jan 2015
BACK TO MAIN INDEX
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.