Tallapoosa County, Alabama Genealogy Trails
|TOWN OF DAVISTON|
DAVISTON, TALLAPOOSA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Daviston, incorporated February 16, 1887, is believed to be the first incorporated rural town in Tallapoosa County. Daviston's first mayor was J.D. Dunn. Daviston flourished with improved roads and became the hub of migration. It had girst and saw mills, a blacksmith shop, coffin shop, general mercantile, public well, federal distillery, six saloons or inns, pharmacy, and doctors. The first land deed found was dated 1836 to S.W. Monk. The post office was established in 1853 with John Davis as the first postmaster. The story told over the years is that he used his own name for the town name. When he submitted the name to the government, due to poor penmanship or a mistake, "Davis Town" became Davidston and has remained since. The second land deed found was dated 1844 to B.F. Milam.
Daviston was a natural evolution of the opening of Indian lands in 1832. Much of the Federal Horse Path was within Creek Indian lands in 1832. With construction of Chapman Road from West Point, GA to Ft.Williams, AL on the Coosa River, land areas opened up to white settlement. - (Written and submitted by April James)
BACK TO MAIN INDEX
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.