Tallapoosa County, Alabama Genealogy Trails

HISTORICAL MARKERS


Alexander City: A Textile Community
 
Marker ID: ABT
Location: on Main Street, Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 56.597    W 085° 57.213
32.94328333    -85.95355

TEXT:
Youngsville, Alabama was incorporated in 1872. The name was changed to Alexander City in March 1873. In 1892, when cotton was king, farmers and planters in the Alexander City area were producing an estimated 18,000 bales of cotton a year. Community leaders sought to broaden the "Market City" by seeking a cotton mill as its first major manufacturing plant. The Alexander City Cotton Mill, built in 1901, was purchased in 1919 by the Braxton Bragg Comer Family. The Avondale "Bevelle" plant soon employed 350 men and women who produced yarn and woven ticking. The plant quickly expanded. Also, by 1902, Mr. Benjamin Russell established a knitting and sewing mill with 12 employees which evolved into Russell Corporation. The first products were ladies' and children's knitted under garments. Russell Mills’ rapid expansion proved that cotton manufacturing was the right choice for the community.

TEXT:
Education and religion were deemed important by both the Comer and Russell families. Subsequently, they built churches and schools and recruited qualified teachers and ministers which resulted in continuous growth of their mills, the mill villages, and the community. Both employers treated their mill workers and children with great regard. The families were recipients of many recreations and cultural events, making a good life for all employees. This marker is dedicated and placed in honor of all textile mill workers, their families and company owners. It was their hard work, loyalty and pride in their work, companies and community that made this small town-hometown a great community for all citizens.

           

Battle of Emucfau
 
Marker ID: AHA
Location: AL Hwy 22 at Church Street in New Site, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 33° 02.134    W 085° 46.522
33.03556666    -85.77536666

TEXT:
5 miles south - January 22, 1814 - Jackson fortified position here during Creek Indian War (1813-14). Although repeated attacks by the Red Sticks were repulsed, Jackson withdrew with the Indians pursuing.

Battle of Enitachopko
 
Marker ID: AHA
Location: On Shady Grove Rd (AL 9) at AL 63, NE of Goodwater, AL
County: Clay
Coordinates:
N 33° 6.952    W 085° 59.762
33.11586666    -85.99603333

TEXT:         
Creek Indian War 1813-14, 4 mi. E. Hostile Creeks attacked Andrew Jackson, withdrawing to Ft. Strother. Jan. 24, 1814. His troops broke through lines and kept on to Ft. Strother. But Creeks boasted that they defeated 'Capt. Jack,' drove him to the Coosa.

Court Square
 
Marker ID: AHA
Location: at the intersection of Church Street and Main Street, Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 56.61    W 085° 57.22
32.94359    -85.95373

TEXT: 
Anticipating the construction of a railroad through the country hamlet of Youngsville, Griffin Young in 1860 hired W. H. Whatley to survey a portion of his property and lay it off in forty-eight town lots. In the plan two acres were reserved for use as a public square. Delayed by the Civil War, the railroad was finally completed to the newly named Alexander City in 1874, and the business center developed around and to the north of the public square.

In 1877, on the south side of the square, the members of the First Baptist Church erected their first house of worship.

In 1889, during the term of Mayor Buford L. Dean, a courthouse-city hall was erected on the site. The original building was destroyed in the 1902 fire. A second building was erected and a third in 1939.

Edward Bell High School/Alma Mater

Marker ID: AHA
Location: At the old school on Sen. Claude Pepper Dr., Camp Hill, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 48.384    W 085° 38.985
32.8064    -85.64975

Edward Bell High School
TEXT: 
On this site Tallapoosa County Training School, later named Edward Bell High School, became the first high school for African Americans in Tallapoosa County, Alabama in 1931, with graduation of its first two students in 1933. It was a pioneer educational institution for students in the County and beyond, with an emphasis on college and vocational curricula. In 1947, citizens of the community built the first gymnasium, lunchroom, and additional classrooms from donated building materials. During the late 1950’s the older building burned and a new building was constructed at a nearby site. Extracurricular activities included sports, band, newspaper, photography, solar energy, hydroponics, aquaculture, greenhouse, and gardening projects. The school bore the name of Edward Bell, one of its several outstanding principals. School colors were Royal Blue and White and the mascot was the Bear.

Alma Mater
TEXT: 
Hail to thee, Our Alma Mater, dear thru the years, you’ve shone your beacon light over hills and valley clear. Let our hearts go forth and show thy love and might.
Dear EBH, thou name and fame shall ever live and flourish through the ages. Our school so dear, All hail to thee! Our Alma Mater, All Hail!

The First Baptist Church - 1872
 
Marker ID: AHA
Location: 64 Court Square in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 56.59    W 085° 57.23
32.94331    -85.95393

TEXT: 
In the summer of 1872 a few residents in the village of Youngsville gathered for a revival held on the hill later occupied by Mistletoe Bough. Alexander City’s First Baptist Church and First United Methodist Church trace their origins from that union revival held under a bush arbor.

On August 3, 1872 eleven men and women guided by Rev. A.K. Tribble met under the bush arbor and organized the Youngsville Baptist Church. J.T.P. Christian and B.B. Reams were elected deacons and T.S. Christian, Sr. was elected clerk. Following the town’s name change the next year, the church became the Alexander City Baptist Church. Sunday services were held once a month until 1879.

On this site in 1877 the congregation erected its first house-of-worship, a wood-frame structure valued at $1,000. The church erected new sanctuaries on this site in 1906 and in 1967.


    
First Presbyterian Church
 
Marker ID: AHA
Location: S. Main Street at Tallapoosa Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 56.61    W 085° 57.19
32.94356    -85.95324
 

TEXT: 
First Presbyterian Church was organized March 2, 1893. The church was made up of 17 members at the home of Robert Clinton Sandlin, who was installed as the First Ruling Elder. The church constructed their 1st building on this site in 1895. The church was the only building in the business district not destroyed by the fire on Friday, June 13, 1902.

The postmaster used the church's basement for his office until the new Post Office was rebuilt. In the mid-1900s, the building was renovated by the law firm of Morris, Haynes, and Hornsby.

 
First United Methodist Church

Marker ID: AHA
Location: 310 Green Street at Semmes Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 56.84    W 085° 57.29
32.94745    -85.95496


 TEXT:
Following a fire in June 1902 that destroyed the Methodist Episcopal Church of the North Alabama Conference, along with most of downtown Alexander City, the church leadership chose to relocate to this site.

Construction began in 1903 on the neoclassical Romanesque style house of worship. The foundation stones were collected from a nearby farm, and the bricks and timbers were fabricated by local craftsmen within walking distance of the site. The first service in the completed structure was held in May 1906.

The church traces its origin to a small group of Methodists led by Rev. William T. Patillo, who joined with people of other denominations for a union revival held under a bush arbor in the village of Youngsville in the summer of 1872.


Needmore - 1873

Marker ID: AHA
Location: 692 Jefferson Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates:
N 32° 57.10    W 085° 56.82
32.95174    -85.94711

TEXT:
Freedmen moving to the new market town of Youngsville in the early 1870s occupied homes along a street they called Needmore Street. They relocated their house of worship from near the present junction of South Central Avenue and Cherokee Road to the Needmore neighborhood where Methodists and Baptists shared a building.

Missionaries from the Methodist Episcopal Church formed a congregation in Alexander City and, in 1873, Bishop Gilbert Haven appointed Rev. George Scott pastor of the new church. In 1876 the church became a charter member of the Central Alabama Conference. In 1895 the Bethel Baptist Church congregation constructed a separate house of worship. Great Bethel Baptist Church attained distinction in the 20th century for its religious and social outreach programs under the leadership of its pastor of 45 years, Rev. Milton Nunn.

BACK TO MAIN INDEX

VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE

OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE

 

Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.