|Walker County, Alabama Genealogy Trails|
Post office and incorporated town in the east-central part of Walker County, on the Southern Railway and the Northern Alabama Railroad, about 30 miles northwest of Birmingham, and 10 miles southeast of Jasper.
Altitude: 312 feet. Population:1900 - 567; 1910 - 1,747.
It was incorporated in 1902, and includes portions of secs. 4, 5, 8, and 9, T. 15, R. 6.It has electric lights, 1,000 feet of concrete sidewalks, privately-owned waterworks system for business center of town, a volunteer fire department established in 1902, and public schools. The city tax rate is 5 mills. It has no bonded indebtedness. It has the Cordova Bank (State); and the Cordova Herald, an Independent weekly established in 1911, is published there. Its principal industries are the Indian Head Cotton Mills, using 600 operatives, and nearby coal mines. It has public high school and grammar school. Its churches are the First Methodist Episcopal, South, Long Memorial Methodist Episcopal, South, Baptist, and Christian. Among the early settlers were the Long, Howlette, Miller, Davis, Robertson, Morgan, Hancock and Sullivan families.
References.- Armes, Story of coal and iron in Alabama (1910), p. 54-55; Brewer, Alabama(1872), p. 572; Northern Alabama (1888), p.171; Polk's Alabama gazetteer, 1888-9, p. 283;Alabama Official and Statistical Register, 1915.
(Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Vol 1 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921;Transcribed by Veneta McKinney)
BACK TO HISTORY INDEX
BACK TO MAIN INDEX
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.