|Welcome to Winston County, Alabama|
|Alabama Genealogy Trails|
This Winston County Website
is available for adoption.
Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers.
If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic web-authoring skills, consider joining us! If hosting isn't for you, we can use your help in other ways. Get the details on our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]
We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for folks.
All data we come across will be added to this site. We thank you for visiting and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site.
* * * NEW DATA ADDED CONSTANTLY * * * . . . CHECK BACK OFTEN . . .
Winston County Alabama
Named in honor of John A. Winston, a Governor of Alabama. Its county seat is Double Springs.
Winston County was established under the name "Hancock County" on February 12, 1850. It was originally named for John Hancock, Governor of Massachusetts and famous signer of the American Declaration of Independence, with its county seat at Houston. On January 22, 1858, the county was renamed Winston County to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston. During the American Civil War, the county refused to join the Confederacy and declared itself the Republic of Winston. Today it is popularly and colloquially known as "the Free State of Winston". The county seat was moved to Double Springs in 1883 so it would be near the center of the county, as Cullman was created from the eastern portion of Winston.
Winston County Courthouse (1995) Calvin Beale [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
CITIES, TOWNS, AND POPULATED PLACES
* Addison * Arley * Double Springs * Lynn * Natural Bridge *
* Nauvoo (partly in Walker County) * Haleyville (partly in Marion County) *
* Boar Tush * Delmar * Glen Mary * Houston * Posey Field *
* Batts Nest * Booger Tree * Corinth *
Check your attics!
Dust off your family scrapbooks!
We're looking for DATA for this site!!!
If you are interested in adding your families' information to this website, Email Us.
We'll be happy to help your families' obituaries, news items and other historical data find a home here at Alabama Genealogy Trails, where it will remain free for all to view.
Online Data Biographies Birth Records Cemeteries Census Records Church Records County Records Death Records History Marriage Records Military Records Miscellaneous Records Newspaper Gleanings Obituaries and Death Notices Post Offices School Records Wills and Probate Records
- Website Updates:Oct 2016: Misc Records: 20 Businessmen of Winston County in 1908Jul 2016: Death Records: 1908 - 1909 DeathsApr 2016: County Records: 1907 County OfficersFeb 2016: Gravestone of Guy Cox - Submitted by Carolyn Cox WhalenJan 2016: County Records: 1931 County OfficersOct 2015: County Records: 1913 County OfficersJul 2015: 1939 Confederate PensionersMay 2015: Redecorated site and now all pages are mobile friendlyJan 2015: WWI Draft Registration Cards:JACK, JACKSON, JACOBS, JAMES, JENKINS, JEAN, JOHNS, JOHNSON
SEARCH OUR SITES
Submit an Obituary to Us
for any of our county sites.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR CONTRIBUTORS
Carolyn Cox Whalen
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Alabama is covered under our "Southern States" mailing list.
VISIT OUR ALABAMA STATE PAGE
OR VISIT OUR NATIONAL SITE
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.