Genealogy Trails

Gila County, Arizona
Pioneer Biographies



APGAR,  Richard  M. 
7th California   Infantry
Richard M. Apgar was mustered into service as a conditional 2d Lieutenant September 30, 1864, He was commissioned as 1st  Lieutenant  November  30, 1364 and mustered  into service as such to date December 15, 1864  in  Co. F, 7th 
California Infantry at San Francisco, California, and was mustered out , and  honorably  discharged  the service April 13, 1866 at  the Presidio, San  Francisco, California as 1st  lieutenant. Age at muster-in, 29 years.
He was on duty with troops under  Lt, Col. Bennett, 1st California Cavalry on scouting and exploring expedition to Tonto Basin, A.T. from Sept. 7 to October 31, 1865, and  stationed at Fort  McDowell, A, T.  from Nov. 30, 1865  to  March 2, 1866
The pension records show that Richard M. Apgar, both of whose parents, Jacob and Hannah, were born in New Jersey,   was born in Montgomery, Ohio.  He married July 4,  1860, Lois Marie Marston at Suisun, California, whose age  was reported  
in 1890 as 45 years. He died December 21, 1887 at Oakland, California, age 51- 8 - 23. His occupation at time of death  was given as capitalist. His widow  received a pension of  $8.00 per month from July  21,1890 under the act of June 27,
1890 and died May 17, 1903, place not shown. She was paid from the San Francisco Agency.
Commissioned conditional 2nd Lieut., Sept. 30, 1864
commissioned 1st Lieutenant November 30, 1864
Mustered in at the Presidio of San Francisco, December 15, 1860 Captain J.W. Owens, company F 7th Regiment California F. Inf. Rank 1st Lieutenant. Remained at the Presidio until June and arrived at Fort Yuma in July, 1665; marched via Maricopa Wells to Fort McDowell,  A. T. on duty with troops under Lieutenant Colonel C. E. Bennett, 1st  California Cavalry, on a scouting  and exploring expedition into Tonto Basin, A. T., from September  7 to October 31, 1865 ;  stationed at  Fort McDowell until March 2,1866, when ordered back to San Francisco, California, where he was honorably discharged at  the Presidio, April 13, 1866.
Transcribed for Information found here: http://www.asu.edu/lib/archives/


SAMUEL A. HAUGHT

On the upper Tonto, around Payson. under the Rim and in Pleasant Valley the Haught families are among the first known pioneers.
They have been in the cattle, freighting, mercantile and other businesses and have turned out some mighty fine fiddlers, cowboys, and bear and lion hunters. Zane Gray, the western story writer, headquartered with the Haughts and was taken on bear hunts with them.
Sam Haught, the subject of this biography, was born at Haught's Store, near Dallas, Texas, on November l4, 1857 and spent his youthful days and obtained his schooling there.
He learned the mercantile business there and also accumulated a herd of range cattle. On December 20, 1882, Samuel Haught and Dagmar A. Gordon were married.
Those were the days when the open ranges of Texas were Iaying fenced by the big cattlemen and Sam began to feel shut in.
Consequently, like many other Texas cowmen. Sam decided to seek a less crowded range.
Having heard that Arizona offered ideal range conditions Sam and his wife packed their household goods in wagons and on May 1. 1885, with a herd of several hundred cattle, started on the long trek to the promised land.
Something like 1400 miles were covered by Sam's outfit before he brought the cattle to rest on Tunnel Creek, under the Mogollon Rim about fifteen miles north of I'aysnn.
After five years under the Rim, Sam moved his cattle to Rye Creek in 1890 where he also started a store and became postmaster.
Six children were born to the Haught's at Rye, where four of them died of diphtheria.
In 1906 Sam Haught was elected to the Territorial Mouse of Representatives from Gila County, representing the cattle interests.
In 1906 Sam and his first wife separated and on December 23, 1911. Sam married Catherine Martin and moved to Pleasant Valley.
Samuel A. Haught died on May 14.1945. at the age of 87.
The children living at this writing are Mildred. James. Alfred. Lucille (Mrs. Rice). Homer. Hulbert Lloyd and Austin.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2



C.C. Griffin

"Cliff" Griffin, as everyone called him. was a tenderfoot who loved Arizona and the life of a cowman from the time he arrived  here in 1884.
Born in Washington. D. C, February 14, I860, he rejected his father's plan to make him a minister, saying he wanted to be a cowboy. As a result he came to Globe at eighteen and for a time worked for Jim Hazard's outfit on Salt River.
Two years later he bought a small ranch near the mouth of Pinto Creek (now under Roosevelt Lake) and in 1888 married Laura Bell Hooker. In 1906, after selling his land to the government as a part of the Roosevelt reservoir site. Cliff bought the Samuels' ranch in Pleasant Valley and moved the family there. The house in which the family lived was built by Al Rose, a Graham partisan in the Pleasant Valley War, who was killed during the feud.
In 1909 Cliff sold the Rose ranch to Zee Hayes and moved to Tempe in order that his daughters might receive good schooling. City life was too much for him. however, and in 1912 he bought the 76 outfit on Rye Creek and moved there. In a short time he resold it but bought it back again in 1920. When he died in Globe on October 23, 1943 , he still owned the 76.
His daughter Margaret, Mrs. John Armer. now looks after it for her mother who lives in Globe.
Cliff Griffin was one of the few ranchers in the Tonto country who, during the first year or two after the Firest was created in 1905, would allow a Forest Ranger to stay at his place overnight. Like most stockmen, he did not relish government control of grazing, but with most of the rest, gradually accepted it as the Forest Administration improved.
Handicapped by deafness from early youth. Cliff Griffin was one of the best liked cattlemen of Gila county.
He is survived by his wife. Mrs. Griffin of Globe, and daughters, Mrs. John Armer and Mrs. Fred Armer. Globe, and Mrs. A. B. Cox, Burlingame. California.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2


William C. McFadden
"Pecos" McFadden, as he has been known since childhood, was born in Throckmorton. Texas. February 11, 1885. In the spring of 1887, his father, William McFadden, brought a shipment of cattle to Holbrook and located them in Pleasant Valley just a few months before the Graham-Tewkshury feud broke out.
The elder McFadden was accompanied by Glenn Reynolds who located in the Sierra Anchas on what is now known as Reynolds Creek. This was the Glenn Reynolds who, two years later as sheriff of Gila County, was killed by the Apache Kid's accomplices as they were being taken to the Yuma Penitentiary.
Fed up with dodging bullets, the elder McFadden moved to a range adjoining Glenn Reynold's, in 1888. It was here that Pecos was raised. When Pecos was ten years old, he had a brand of his own, J. L. , and was a regular range hand. Seven years later, in 1902, he bought the Jim Sturgeon brand in Pleasant Valley and moved it to the Salt River near Livingston.
During that same year, he became a partner of George and John Armer. But in toil, this partnership was dissolved, and Pecos purchased the Flying H spread, then managed by "Ribs" Henderson. He sold the Flying H to the Armers in 1913, and two years later bought the Col. Jesse Ellison's Q outfit near Pleasant Valley. A year later he bought the Zee Hays holdings in Pleasant Valley and ran the two spreads as a unit.
Then came a turn for the worse, which every old cowman has experienced. The bottom fell out of the market in 1919 and broke Pecos. For a time he drove a truck.
However, a year later, the bank that held the paper -knowing Pecos was a thorough cowman—turned the outfit back to him to do what he could with it. In 1923 George Wilson came in with him. and they bought the bankrupt Flying V's and the old Medlar HZ's which, with the Q's, gave them one of the largest spreads in the area.
Pecos and Wilson divided the range in 1030, with Pecos keeping the
Flying H and HZ's. Later, he sold the Fying H to his sons, Lonnie, Gordon and Arden.
In 1913, Pecos sold the HZ to Roy Rucker and retired to Phoenix where he now lives with his wife, the former Marian Sanders, whom he married in 1907.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2


James Newton Porter

James Newton Porter, born in Kentuckytown. Texas. December 20, 1853, brought a large herd of cattle to Arizona in 1881, which be first located in Cochise County.
In 1888. Porter moved his livestock to Graham County where, using the Flying X and Pitchfork brands, he located them near Fort Thomas. Here for a number of vears he furnished beef to the soldiers for allotment to the Apaches.
An energetic businessman. Porter operated stores at Fort Thomas and Geronimo for a time and became interested in banking in Safford in 1890, and in Globe in 1900. lie was also interested in the stage line from Bowie to Globe.
Establishing a home in Globe where be brought his wife, formerly Ella Caruthers of Texas, and his daughters Stella and Lillian, he became active in livestock and ranches in Gila County.
At one period of the early 1900's. he became very wealthy, owning property all over the county. It was during this time that he purchased a vast mahogany tract in southern Mexico which he later lost through confiscation. Also in these years he owned stock in Texas banks and had other widely scattered investments. Among his properties was a ranch on the present site of Roosevelt Lake, which he sold to the Government.
He sent his family east to have his daughters educated there and furnished them with funds with which they traveled extensively in England and Europe. For years they spent only their summers in Globe.
The panic of 1907 threw Porter into financial difficulties from which he never fully recovered. Cattle prices dropped and his ventures in live-stock caused him such a loss that he gave up all his property and about 1918 went to Los Angeles to live.
In Los Angeles he engaged in the real estate business but never regained his wealth. He died there in May of 1921.
For many years J. N. Porter probably had more influence in the Gila County livestock business than any other single person.
Two daughters. Mrs. Stella Russell and Mrs. Lillian Butler, of Dallas. Texas, are the only survivors.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 

Zee Hayes
1884-1932


From about 1908 until his untimely killing in a gun battle in 1932, Zee Hayes was one of the most active and aggressive cattlemen in Gila county.
His operations extend from the San Carlos Apache reservation on the south to the Mogollon Rim on the north, including holdings in Pleasant Valley and in Globe and Salt River areas.
Born in Hillsboro, Texas, in 1884, Zee came to the San Carlos reservation with his parents in 1891, where his father located their cattle brought in from Texas.
Raised in the rough life of the cow camps and mining communities Zee soon developed a spirit of enterprise and aggressiveness that started him out as a cowman in his own right while still in his teens.
This he accomplished by going after mavericks in country so rough that few cowboys cared to gather them out.
One time in this work a big maverick steer gored his horse and tossed it and Zee over a cliff, where Zee lay unconscious for several days before being found. The insertion of a silver plate in his skull saved his life. In spite of this handicap Zee became a top rodeo performer.
It was in 1908 that Zee and Blake Lewis of Copper Hill were married and soon thereafter he began buying cow outfits in Pleasant Valley until he was the largest owner in the area.
About 1916 he disposed of bis holdings in Pleasant Valley and bought his father's outfit in the Apache reservation.
After Zee was killed in 1932 his widow carried on the operation for several years until the range was turned over to the Indians in 1938. Over 1,000 5L (sic) cattle were then gathered out and disposed of.
His widow remarried after his death and is now Mrs. Hugh Chipman of Coolidge. His daughter. Mrs. Evelyn Ryder, lives in San Francisco.
A brother. Jess Hayes, is School Sup't. of Gila County and the author of "Apache Vengeance." and other historical tales.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2


Willys Darwin Fuller
1835- 1920


Willys Darwin Fuller, best known as “Wid”, certainly was entitled to be known as a “cowman”. In 1847, at the age of 12 he drove a cow all the way from Council Bluffs to Salt Lake Valley.
“Wid” was born in New York, Nov. 10,1835. His family moved to Nanvoo, Illinois in 1844; and in 1847 made the long trek to Salt Lake.
His father, Elijah Fuller, joined the Perrigreen Sessions company  for the overland trip, carrying all the family’s possessions in a wagon pulled by 2 yoke of oxen. Young Wid, on foot, drove the family cow.
In later years he was given to saying that he knew every foot of the 1,000 miles from Council Bluffs to Salt Lake because he has stepped off the entire distance.
Arriving in the great Salt Lake Valley, the family found it difficult to eke out a living. During the first years the bulbs of the sego lilies, dug with a sharpened stake, often constituted the main part of their fare.
As he grew up Wid began freighting from Council Bluffs & San  Pedro to Salt Lake and soon owned three 8 horse teams and 6 wagons
In 1867 he married Annie Campkin and settled in Dixie, in Southern Utah, where he lived until 1880.
His wife had died in 1878, so in 1881 he pioneered Pine County, under the Mogollon rim, with his 4 sons and 2 daughters and the cattle and horses from his Dixie ranch.,
Here in the little settlement of Pine, “Wid” fuller helped dig out the first irrigation ditches and became one of the best cattlemen in the region, as well as a community leader.
In 1910 he turned his interests over to his son, Alfred, and retired.
He died on June 10,1920.
Two sons, Frank Fuller, now 85 and Alfred Fuller , 83, and many other descendents survive this hardy pioneer, Willys Darwin Fuller.
(A grandson ,also know as “Wid” lives at Camp Verde)
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2


John Calvin Robbins

 
"J. C." Robbins, as he was known to most people, was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, February 17. 1864, but soon moved to Texas with his parents.
In 1870 he struck out for California and spent three years there.
In 1879 Johnnie Robbins drove a team and buckboard into Globe, put them in a livery stable and went up town jingling eight silver dollars in his pocket. After supper he invested in a small stack of poker chips and the next morning bought the livery stable with cash from his winnings.
That was the way with many of the old-timers. What good was eight dollars Might as well lose it at poker, or make a stake. Johnnie made the stake.
He soon expanded into lumbering in the Pinals and other enterprises. And, of course, as he became respected for his business acumen the familiar "Johnnie" began to be replaced with "J. C."
In Globe he met and married Emma Cole, a sister of "Pink" Cole, the Tonto Basin cattleman.
In 1889 J. C. bought a cow outfit near Gisela (below Palson) and established the J R (connected) brand. From that time on, his principal business was with cattle.
At different times he owned or was interested in several cow outfits in the Tonto Basin and on Sycamore Creek. He partnered for a time with Frank Criswell in the Sierra Anchas and at one time owned the O X ranch on Date Creek.
For a short time the Robbins family lived in Phoenix but moved to Tempe before the turn of the century.
From there J. C. conducted his cattle operations, and for 30 years before his death, in 1936 was cattle inspector. Mrs. Robbins passed away in 1941.
Of the seven Robbins children the survivors are: Bert, of Tempe; Pansy Huffer and Ruth, of Prescott: Irene Lincoln, of Safford; and Dick, of Scottsdale.
During the later years of John Robbins' life, his sons Ben, Bert and Dick shared in and cared for his range interests. Ben passed away recently.
  Source: Pioneer and Well Known Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe Willson


Jim Roberts

James F. (Jim) Roberts was one of those intrepid old-timers who gained the necessary experience for his more than forty years as a peace officer the hard way. Through circumstances beyond his control—circumstances that completely altered the course of his life—he learned to handle a gun with speed and accuracy. He was the "last man" in the renowned Pleasant Valley War.
In the late 1870's he settled in the Tonto Basin country, in what was soon thereafter known as Pleasant Valley. A horse-breeder by profession, he soon became well established in that business, lie brought in blooded stock from Missouri with which to start his herd. Crossing them with the wild mustangs of the Valley, he soon had a strain of horses without equal in that country. For running cattle in the rough frontier country, a cross between a "hot blood'' for speed and a wild mustang for stamina when the going got rough, coupled with the ability to live off the land, Roberts had an ideal combination.
The present day quarter-horse breed is the result of that cross-breeding. Though perhaps not the first horse breeder in the West to experiment with the quarter-horse strain, Roberts was definitely a pioneer in raising quarter-horses in Arizona.
Rustlers, too, knew he had good horses. That was what drew him into the Pleasant Valley war. When the rustling element started running his horses off, he immediately studied out the lay of the land. Though cattle and horse rustling was then quite a popular sport of many, the epidemic proportions the racket reached in Pleasant Valley was about to break Roberts. He expected to lose some of his horses but not all of them.
The Tewkesburys ran cattle and horses in Pleasant Valley. The Graham brothers were cattlemen, raising only enough horses for their own needs. Both factions were openly bitter enemies, though the actual hostilities of that famous bloody vendetta of Arizona had not yet quite started.
When Andy Cooper and his rustler gang joined forces with the Graham clan, Roberts aligned himself with the Tewkesburys. In that move the Tewkesburys gained a valuable ally, one who had hoped to stay neutral but one who would not give up without a fight. It was to the Cooper gang that Roberts gave the discredit of stealing his horses. It was an inevitable move then when he went to the opposite side of the fence from Cooper.
How many men were killed by Jim Roberts—or any-one, for that matter—in that bloody feud will never be known. Never was there a more bitter feud, nor one of which so little is known to the outside world. The fires of hatred flared in a manner that, even today, nobody knows the exact cause of the feud. Those who were in a position to know were killed in the vendetta or have since died without disclosing the exact reason.
Close-mouthed citizens of the Pleasant Valley region were reluctant to give information to the outside world concerning their private troubles. Every attempt of out-siders to unearth the "inside story" was discouraged. Joe Pearce, a pioneer Arizona Ranger who spent much of his life in that area, related an interesting story of how one writer was effectively rebuffed by two old-timers. The method was rough on a lady but procured the desired result without deviating from the truth.
The repercussion of the vendetta reached far and wide. Even far-off staid Boston heard of it. A Miss Randall journeyed from her home in Boston to Pleasant Valley to obtain material in order to write up the feud. She sought out Judge Howell and Will C. Barnes, who were perhaps the best posted persons on the subject in the Valley.
Reluctant at first to say anything, they later related the tale of how John Tewkesbury and Bill Jacobs, of the Tewkesbury faction, were shot in a field near the Tewkesbury home. Of how Tewkesbury's wife and his brother Ed had held off the attackers by rifle fire from the fort-like log house. Then, while the horror-stricken woman looked on helpless to prevent it, several half-starved hogs smelled the fresh blood, trotted across the field and started chewing on the bodies.
Had Mrs. Tewkesbury stepped outside the door she would have more than likely been shot down. Both factions might or might not have been chivalrous enough not to shoot women; however it was general practice to shoot first and look later to see who had been shot.
After a siege that lasted well over an hour the Graham partisans withdrew. Mrs. Tewkesbury was then able to go into the field and drive the hogs away from the badly mutilated bodies.
Before the tale was finished the young lady from Boston fainted. After a sleepless night, she hastily departed for Boston and as far as is known her version of the Graham-Tewkesbury feud has never been put in print.
Rustling is generally believed to have been the spark that set off the fireworks. Many believe it to have been a cattle-sheep war; however it has been definitely established that hatred between the warring factions was deeply rooted long before the sheep issue arose. There would undoubtedly have been bloodshed if the Daggs brothers, under the supervision of the Tewkesburys, hadn't brought or sent sheep into the Valley. The coming of the sheep merely hastened the already impending fiasco.
Shootings and lynchings were the order of the day when the feud got under way in earnest. The number of participants actually killed in that war will never be known. A conservative estimate would be thirty. Some place the toll at more than fifty. In some respects this feud paralleled other range wars of the West. The Johnson County war in Wyoming and the Lincoln County war in New Mexico were famous in range history but neither could equal the fracas in Pleasant Valley for viciousness and hatred.
Gunmen on the dodge from various other states where their welcome had been outworn, drifted in to take part, a few to further their prestige in gun-slinging circles by "adding more notches on their gun handles." Many of them drifted out again, having no desire to linger in a country where they didn't dare sleep unless they could do so with one eye open. Some of those who didn't drift out again found a permanent resting place in some lonely spot, for it was the habit of the residents thereabouts to shoot first and ask questions later. Whether a bullet entered in front or the back of a person made little difference; a person was just as dead either way.
Andy Cooper, alias Andy Blevans, was one who left Texas a short distance ahead of an irate sheriff, who was desirous of questioning him on a matter of murder. His name had been Blevans in Texas, but on entering Arizona he changed it to Cooper. That change in name was said to have given him an improved sense of security. How Cooper bid goodbye to his earthly existence has been explained in a previous chapter.
Jim Roberts was in the war for keeps. His horse-raising business had entailed years of hard work to build up. When it was entirely wiped out, he had two courses to choose between. He could leave that vicinity and start anew—or fight. His choice was the cause of much concern to the opposing faction in the time to follow. Roberts stayed on to fight.
The old Middleton ranch, near the center of Pleasant Valley, was the scene of one of the deadly fights of the feud. This battle was one in which Roberts was definitely known to have taken part. There is little doubt that on other occasions he hastened the voyage of others into eternity.
In the Middleton ranch battle Hamp Blevans, a rancher, and John Payne, a Hashknife cowboy, were shot and killed by either Jim Roberts or Jim Tewkesbury (most accounts, meager as they are, credit Roberts). Three others were wounded by the deadly fire of Tewkesbury partisans in that particular fight.
How many others forfeited their lives to the deadly guns of Jim Roberts during the rest of the feud, that flared intermittently over a period of two years, is wreathed in the obscurity of the dim past.
With the end of open hostilities in 1888, Roberts went to the Verde Valley district. Soon thereafter he accepted an appointment as deputy sheriff under Sheriff William O. "Bucky" O'Neil. In one capacity or another Roberts was a peace officer from then until the time of his death in 1934.
In 1904, Jerome was a particularly tough mining camp. Gunmen had drifted in from various other parts of the territory and almost ruled the town. In desperation, the law-abiding element sought an officer who could and would curb the lawlessness and break the stranglehold of the parasites. The outcome of their search was that Jim Roberts was appointed town marshal, with a free rein to restore law and order with whatever measures he saw fit to employ.
Again nobody knows how many men died as a result of Roberts' taking over the law with a "tight rein." He did restore order and in a comparatively short time. Those who failed to live an upright life were forcefully shown the error of their ways. Many moved on to newer climes, their welcome having been outworn in Jerome. Others were inclined to be stubborn. They couldn't believe that this officer of quiet manners was serious in attempting to restore order in the roaring mining camp. Their stubborn attitude aided the income of the town's undertaker materially. Roberts meant business.
How many badmen he killed is not known; he didn't know himself. As a peace officer he was a fearless, hard-fighting man of much action and few words. He had lived through an era that required constant vigilance, immediate decision and hair-trigger action. He had been through too much to let anything scare him at this stage of the game. He had been too well coached in self-protection and preservation ever to become careless at this late date.
Like many another lawman of the vanishing Old West, he was a rugged individualist. His right hand hovered always near the butt of his ready "thumb-buster." He waved at a friend or tipped his hat with his left hand, keeping his right ready for a quick draw, if and when necessary. Even when he slept his gun was always handy, close to his right hand. Like others who led a precarious life, he might miss a meal but he never forgot to keep his gun within reach.
When he departed on the trail of an outlaw, he was almost certain to return with that person, one way or another. The apprehended culprit might come back in an upright position, or he might be a limply dangling form tied across the saddle, a .41 caliber hole through his head. The choice always lay with the pursued man; if he chose to fight, he always found not an eager but a willing antagonist in Jim Roberts.
Occasionally, Roberts came back from a man-hunt without the wanted person in tow. In his stead there would be some token or article taken from that person—a belt buckle, a watch, a pair of boots—some article known to have been possessed or worn by the outlaw.
On one such chase in the rugged Mingus Mountain area, Roberts was on the trail of a murderer. He followed the trail nearly a week before he sighted his quarry. Returning to Jerome, he didn't have the man with him. In his stead Roberts displayed a pair of fancy boots, known by their distinctive pattern to have been worn by the pursued man.
One curious man asked why the man hadn't been brought in. Roberts reflected briefly on how hot the weather had been during the week he had been on the trail; he carefully studied the face of his inquisitor a moment, then stated simply, "The meat would've spoiled on the way in."
That ended the matter. It didn't really matter how it was done; he was restoring order to the mining camp and in a manner understood by friend and foe alike.
He was always reluctant to tell of his exploits in the "rough and tough" days of Arizona and very little is known of his harrowing experiences, but he did more perhaps than any other person to bring the law to the Verde Valley district.
Roberts was on duty as special officer for the United Verde Copper Company in Clarkdale on the morning of June 21, 1928, when Willard J. Forrester and Earl Nelson, outlaws from Oklahoma, found out too late that Arizona  could still be a land of straight-shooting peace officers.
Forrester and Nelson parked their car in front of the Clarkdale branch of the Bank of Arizona about eleven o'clock that morning. They had carefully timed their arrival to coincide with a time when few customers would be present.
D. O. Saunders, the bank manager, and R. G. Southard, a teller, and a few customers suddenly found themselves looking into the muzzles of the guns in the hands of the robbers. While Nelson held them at bay, Forrester scooped all the money in sight—about $50,000—into a sack he had brought for that purpose. The entire group was then herded into the big vault and the inner, barred door was closed on them. It was not locked however.
The robbers ran from the bank, leaped into their waiting car and started off. Saunders seized his forty-five Colt automatic pistol and ran out the door after the fleeing men.
Jim Roberts thought something unusual was up when from a point across the street where he was walking along the sidewalk, he saw the men emerge hastily from the bank, throw something into the car, quickly get in themselves and start away in great haste. He was positive something was wrong when he saw Saunders run from the bank and shoot at the fleeing car.
Though seventy years old, Roberts showed amazing speed as he got into action. He joined Saunders in the middle of the street and both shot at the departing car.
Suddenly the car swerved to the high curb and stopped, wedged tightly between a telephone pole and the heavy guy wire attached from it to the ground. Nelson leaped from the car and ran across the street diagonally and down a side street, Roberts in close pursuit. He couldn't shoot again without taking the chance of hitting some innocent person on the street. Nelson had emptied his gun without effect.
Behind a building on the corner two Mexican laborers were mixing mortar for use in a building then under construction. One of them, a man of huge stature, dropped his hoe when he heard the voice of Jim Roberts urging someone to stop the robber. He started toward the corner of the building when Nelson raced around the corner and into the outstretched arms of the giant Mexican.
That was how Roberts found them. Nelson was power-less in the bear-hug grip of the Mexican, who seemed startled at the desperately but futilely flailing bank robber in his arms.
Forrester was not so fortunate. He was slumped over the steering-wheel in his car, dead. One bullet had gone through the back window of the car, striking him in the back of the neck and coming out of his mouth, knocking out one tooth in the process.
Though two men had been shooting at Forrester, Roberts was credited by the coroner's jury of killing the man in line of duty. Roberts chalked up one more victory for the side of the law when Willard J. Forrester then and there definitely retired from the banking business. In later years Roberts spurned the use of a holster, preferring to carry his .41 single-action "thumb-buster" in his right hip pocket. The side of the gun next to his thigh often became rusted from perspiration.
"Some people even wondered if the gun would shoot," said D. O. Saunders.
It did on that occasion, the last time Roberts was called on to use it in an emergency.
When he died, January 8, 1934, at the age of seventy-five, Jim Roberts was still on active duty in Clarkdale as an officer. No bullet horn a gun faster than his snuffed out his life. His stout heart had just come to the end of the trail. He died of natural causes. Of the active partisans in the Pleasant Valley war, including a long list of some of the West's toughest gunmen, Jim Roberts was the last to survive.
Source: Frontier Arizona by Thomas Way 1960

Professor James Douglas L.L.D.

The official head of the Phelps-Dodge company is well known and honored in Arizona, and in mining circles there is no man who occupies a higher position and whose opinions command greater respect. As an authority on mining and the metallurgy of copper Professor Douglas has an international reputation, and he is the author of several valuable works on these and kindred subjects. He is also an occasional contributor to scientific journals. He has twice been president of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and is also a member of the American Geographical Society, the Society of Arts of London, and the Iron and Steel Institute. Professor Douglas was born in Canada and came to the United States in 1876, taking charge of copper works at Phoenixville, Pa. it was there that his acquaintance began with Phelps, Dodge & Co., who were then engaged in the exporting and importing of sheet metals, and his relations with the firm became more and more intimate and his advancement coincident with the growth of the firm's business until he is today the president of the Phelps- Dodge Co. Arizona has especially benefited by Prof. Douglas' wide knowledge and influence. He has ever been one of the territory's best friends and a firm believer in her pre-eminent mineral resources.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

Judge A. H. Hackney, Founder of the "Arizona Silver Belt."

Aaron H. Hackney was born in Mercer. Pennsylvania, October 31. 1815, his father being or good old Quaker stock and his ancestry on his mother's side being of Dutch descent. He retained almost to the day of his death December 2, 1899, a clear recollection of his boyhood days and loved to relate his youthful pranks and experiences. He remembered well the demonstration attending the visit of Marquis de' Lafayette in 1824 and of the parade in his honor by the Mercer militia, a motley company that never smelted gunpowder.
In 1832, in his seventeenth year, he removed to St. Louis where he became intimately identified with the business and social interests of that then thriving frontier town. In connection with his brother-in-law Louis A. Benoist, he was engaged for years in the banking business in St. Louis and New Orleans and he also owned steamboats which plied between those two cities.
His intimate acquaintance with the leading men and knowledge of public affairs brought him into prominence as a political leader, and although never an office-seeker he was nominated for judge of the county court, elected by a handsome majority and served his term with credit.
Judge Hackney was one of the first directors of the Iron Mountain railroad and purchased the first rolling stock for that road. In St. Louis he also became identified with newspaper men. He was intimately acquainted with Nathaniel Pascal, A. B. Chambers, George and John Knapp. proprietors of the Missouri Republican, and for many years he was a contributor to the columns of that paper.
In 1857 he left St. Louis and made his first trip over the Santa Fe trail to New Mexico, and from that time until the close of the civil war he was engaged in merchandising at Santa Fe and Mesilla and made seven trips over the trail by ox-team to St. Louis to purchase goods.
The Judge removed to Silver City, New Mexico, when there was only one house erected there. When Grant county was organized, at the request of William Rynerson, then a member of the legislature, Judge Hackney suggested the names of Grant and Silver City for the county and town respectively and they were adopted.
Having still a fondness for newspaper work he purchased the only newspaper published at the time in Silver City and changed the name of the publication to "The Herald." It was a small sheet, but its columns scintillated with the bright and epigrammatic writings of the Judge.
In April, 1878, Judge Hackney removed to Globe and established the Arizona Silver Belt, the first number of the paper appearing on May 2 of that year. The Silver Belt early took rank among the leading newspapers of Arizona, and under the able editorial management of Judge Hackney continued to exert a potent influence on public affairs in the territory.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

James C. Bell

Among those who "blazed the trails" in Arizona long before there was any settlement in the shadow of Pinal mountain is James C. Bell, who came into the territory in 1868 with a party of adventurous spirits, their route being by way of Camp
Apache and the Verde valley to Prescott. The party had several thrilling experiences with Indians and wild animals, and were themselves mistaken for Indians by the soldiers at Camp Verde and fired upon repeatedly. Mr. Bell did not remain
a great while in Arizona on this his first trip, but went north and participated in many of the mining excitements of those early years. He was at White Pine and Pioche, Nevada, and from the latter camp he went to Alaska in 1874, experiencing
obstacles and hardships compared with which the conditions attending the Alaskan hegira of recent years were easy.
Early in 1876 found Bell again in Arizona, and hearing of the rich silver discoveries at the new camp of Globe he lost no time in coming here arriving in March. However, the roving spirit was still strong within him and after staying here a short time hearing that the Adams' diggings had been discovered somewhere in the Mogollon country he with others started with that destination in view, but the rumor proved false and they halted in the Clifton country.
Bell returned to Globe early in June and again hit the trail shortly afterwards.
In 1879 he was with the Hill and Freeman party again in search of the illusory Adams' diggings. The height of the boom at Tombstone found him in pursuit of fortune there. In all his wanderings Bell found no camp or district that appealed to him so strongly as did Globe, and in 1881 he returned to stay. For twenty-five years Mr. Bell has been one of the good citizens of Globe and has followed mining for a livelihood.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

J. W. Ransom

Among the earliest of the old timers of the camp is J. W. Ransom who still with us and a striking example of the salubrity of the Arizona climate. No one knows exactly how old "Billy" is, and we doubt if he knows himself. He gives his place of birth as New James C. Bell is a native of New  York State, having been born in Orange county in 1839. York state and it is supposed that he he made his appearance there about the time that the Dutch settled New Amsterdam. It may be that he was the successor of Juan Ponce do Leon in the search of the Fountain of Perpetual Youth, and succeeded in finding it as he looks little older than he did 20 years ago.
Ransom first came into this section in 1874 with a prospecting party in which were "Doc" Hammond, Bill Reid and Frank Tarbell. They located the Alice and South Alice claims, now part of the Old Dominion mine; also the McCormick and the Cliff, now the Gray mine. Ranson returned to Silver City the same year and in 1876 came again to Globe, accompanying Felix Knox and W. T. McNelly, and so charmed was he with his associations and environment in this frontier mining camp that he did not leave it again for twenty years. His first employment here was clerking in the store of Morrell & Ketchum, and when E. F. Kellner bought out Morrell and afterwards acquired the interest of Ketchum in the business Ranson became a partner of Kellner and opened a store at McMillen, remaining there until 1880 when he returned here and entered the Globe store of E. F. Kellner & Co. as a partner, continuing as such until disposing of his interest to Mr. Kellner in 1900. Everyone who knows "Billy" Ranson has a kindly feeling for him and hopes he will long be with us.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

J. H. Thompson

Among those who have been prominent in the official life of Gila county none is better known or has a greater number of staunch friends than J. H. Thompson, who served five terms as sheriff, and was noted for his fearless and intelligent discharge of his duty, Mr. Thompson was born in Bell county, Texas, December 19, 1861, and came to Arizona and located at Payson early in 1881, engaging in the cattle business. which he followed until coming to Globe in 1889. Glenn Reynolds, who was the sheriff, and W. A. Holmes met with a tragic death at the hands the Kid  and other desperate Indian convicts, near Riverside, Arizona., while enroute to the territorial prison at Yuma. Jerry Ryan  was appointed to succeed Reynolds, and he came to an untimely end in May, 1890, having been drowned in a pond at  Wheatfields, with a young lady whom he had attempted to rescue. Henry Thompson was then appointed sheriff to fill out the unexpired term, and the same fall received the democratic nomination and was elected to the office. Evidently the voters of Gila county were satisfied with the manner in which he  discharged his duty for he was twice re-elected and then after being out of office four years he was again elected sheriff  in 1899. He was also, a chief clerk in the legislature one. session..Since retiring from the office of sheriff Mr. Thompson has followed mining, and is at present interested in valuable properties in this district and at Superior, in Pinal county.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

Geo. W. P. Hunt
There is no more notable example of the self-made man in Globe, if in the territory, than Geo W. P. Hunt. He was born Nov, 1, 1859, at Huntsville, Mo., which town was named after his grandfather, where he remained until he reached man's estate.
Coming to Globe in 1881. Mr. Hunt sought employment at anything that promised an honest livelihood and by dint of industry and an intelligent conception of duty, he made his way rung by rung up the ladder of business success In 1890 he was a clerk in the store of Alonzo Bailey and remained after the business was organized under the name of the Old Dominion Commercial company in 1893. A reorganization was effected in 1896, when Mr. Hunt became a stockholder, and in 1900 was elected president of the company, which position he still holds. Mr. Hunt is widely known in Arizona for the part he has taken in the legislative affairs of the territory and no man who ever served as a member of either house of the Arizona legislature has a cleaner or more creditable record He was first elected on the democratic ticket in 1893 as member of the house of the17th legislative assembly, and was re- elected two years later to represent Gila county in the 18th session.
So well did he serve his constituency that he was elected to the Council two years later and was again serving in the 19th and 20th legislatures. Business then requiring his undivided attention, Mr. Hunt was content to remain out of politics until two years ago when he was induced to again run for the Council and was elected by a handsome majority. In recognition of his long service and familiarity with legislative matters he was chosen president of the Council and added to his reputation in that position. Mr. Hunt was married in 1904 to Miss Duet Ellison, daughter of Col. J. W. Ellison, of Pleasant Valley, and a daughter has blessed the union.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906
Contributed by Kim Torp

James Wiley
James Wiley is one of the pioneers of Globe, who arrived about the time the town was laid out in July, 1876s and has continued a resident ever since. He followed prospecting and mining for a year and in '77 engaged in the butchering
business with the late Joe Redman. He was afterwards a partner of David Horst, and then conducted a market alone. Mr. Wiley has always shown an interest in mining and now owns valuable copper claims east of the city.
Mr. Wiley was born in Ulster county, New York, in 1844. In 1863 he enlisted in the Fifteenth New York heavy artillery and after the close of the war joined the United States Engineer corps, in which he served six years. He has been a member of Alexander Post No, 6 G. A. R., since its organization.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

W. H. Woodson
Among those who sought fortune in Globe District in 1876 and met with a fair measure of success is W. H. Woodson,  who is still an honored citizen. "Bud," as he is beat known to his friends, was born in Platte county, Missouri, in 1847. In
1872 he turned his face toward the southwest and finally located at Dennison, Texas, of which town he was one of the original settlers, having arrived there before the first house was built. He opened a blacksmith and carriage shop at
Jennison and did a successful business for many years.
In 1876 hearing of the rich silver discoveries in this section, he disposed  of his interests in Texas and came direct to Globe, at once engaging in mining. As stated elsewhere he. with several others, located the Hoosier and Gray mines
and in 1881 sold the Hoosier to John K Saltzman of Erie, Pa. Years afterwards Bud and W. H. Beard located the Clipper group of Copper claims nine miles west of Globe, in which they disposed of  an interest to Charles Holzman.  In May  1904, they sold the Clipper group for $81,000 to J. D. Coplen and associates, who organized the Inspiration Mining company. The Inspiration gives strong promise of becoming one of the largest copper mines in Arizona.
Two years ago Mr. Woodson visited his boyhood home in Missouri, after an absence of 32 years. His trip also included the St. Louis world's fair, familiar scenes in Texas and the coast cities of California.
Arizona Silver Belt Gila County Az. May 17, 1906

Alonzo Bailey
Alonzo Bailey, ice manufacturer and mining operator, residing at Globe, Gila county, is recognized as one of the most influential and public-spirited citizens of his town. A native of Dresden, Ohio, he was born February 5, 1847, and is a son of Lawrence and Laura (Graves) Bailey, natives respectively of Brookline, N. H., and Croton Falls, Mass., and both of English descent. Lawrence Bailey moved to Ohio in 1830, there married and became a large land holder. He died in 1871 and his wife in 1867.

Until attaining the age of nineteen years, Alonzo Bailey resided at home, meantime receiving his education in the public schools and Kenyon College. After the death of his mother in 1867, he went to Colorado and for two years was engaged in farming and dairy work at Fort Lupton. Subsequently he engaged in contracting with the Santa Fe and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroads in Kansas and Texas for three years. In 1872 lie removed to Silver City, N. M.. where he erected a sawmill, kept a set of books, and served in various other capacities for local concerns. His residence in Globe dates from 1877, and for a year he engaged in merchandising. From that time until 1900 he was continuously devoted to the same line of business, but in that year disposed of his interests. For some time he acted as president of the Old Dominion Commercial Company of Globe, established in 1891.

From the earliest days of his residence in Arizona, Mr. Bailey has been interested in mining, and for some time was a principal owner in the pioneer property and a large investor in the Old Dominion. For several years he has been associated with Alfred Kinney in the ice-manufacturing business, the two partners having developed the plant from a capacity of one ton per day to that of twelve tons. The firm has adopted the use of a Holden regealed ice machine. In connection with the plant is a soda-water works.

Fraternally Mr. Bailey is prominent in Masonry, having been initiated into the order at Silver City, N. M., in 1876. He is a charter member of the blue lodge and chapter at Globe; is a member of Arizona Commandery No. i, K. T., of Tucson ; and Al Malaikah Temple, N. M. S., of Los Angeles. In 1884 he served as grand master of the grand lodge of Arizona, which he had assisted in organizing two years before. He is past grand master of the Odd Fellows for Arizona. In the Episcopal Church of Globe, of which he was an organizer, he serves as senior warden. Politically he has always been a consistent Democrat. He was a member of the constitutional convention of .Arizona and served in the council in the thirteenth legislature. Among his interests are important real estate holdings in Globe. In 1880 he married Sarah Kennedy, a native of Kansas, and a daughter of John Kennedy, a pioneer stockman of Arizona, who was drowned in the Verde river in 1892. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey have three children, Wynette, Edith and Gertrude, all residing at home.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona Champman Publishing 1904

Alfred Kinney
 Alfred Kinney, ice manufacturer and owner of important mining enterprises, residing at Globe, Gila county, has been one of the most important contributors to the upbuilding of the community in which he lives. Born in Greene county, Ohio, January 5, 1856, he is a son of Aaron and Sarah Kinney, who removed with their family to Iowa in 1866. At the age of fourteen years Alfred Kinney left his home to make a way for himself in the world. Going to Denver, Colo., he spent three years in the shops of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, learning the machinist's trade, after which he removed to Trinidad in the same territory and operated a sash and door factory.

After various other ventures, in 1878 he went to New Mexico and sawed bridge timbers for the Santa Fe Railroad Company for about two years. Later he spent two months in Silver City, N. M., after which he came to Arizona January 5, 1881, and at once erected a sawmill in the Pinal mountains, near Globe. Here he engaged in sawing logs until May 6. following, when, while thus laboring, he lost his right arm by falling partly upon the saw. Six days later, May 12, 1881, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Clara Weissig, a native of Germany. Immediately afterward he came to Globe, erected a house and began the manufacture of ice and the bottling of soda water. For several years he continued this business in partnership with Alonzo Bailey, in the meantime also engaging in mining in the Globe district. His wife, too, is interested in mining, and is recognized as an expert in this business. He owns one group of mines on Mineral Creek and another group at Riverside, one of the properties, the Bryan mine, copper and gold, being held by him at $100,000.

Politically Mr. Kinney is independent, invariably casting his vote for the man whom he believes to be best fitted for office. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias and with the Odd Fellows, and has passed all the chairs in the local lodge of the latter order. With his wife, he is connected with the Rebekah lodge.
THOMAS A. PASCOE

Thomas A. Pascoe, speculator and promoter of some of the most substantial projects for the benefit of Globe, was born in Galena, Jo Daviess county, Ill., in 1846. His parents, William T. and Mary C. Pascoe, were born in England, and upon arriving in the United States settled in Illinois, subsequently removing to California, where they lived in Nevada and Yuba counties. They were engaged in general farming, and eventually died in Yuba county.


When but six years of age, T. A. Pascoe was taken to California by his parents, and there received the education and early training which fitted him for the future responsibilities of life. Upon starting out in the world to face an independent existence, he came to Arizona and located in Globe in 1881. At that time the now famous settlement contained but a few hardy and venturesome miners and prospectors, who were willing to brave the dangers of life in the immediate shadow of the ever upraised Indian tomahawk and the privations and hardships incident to life in the early mining camps of the west. For four years he was engaged in mining and prospecting, and during part of the time was under sheriff for his brother, B. F. Pascoe, who was sheriff of Gila county from 1882 to 1886.

In 1886 Mr. Pascoe established the Pascoe livery barn, in connection with which was conducted an extensive hay and grain business, the supply being shipped from the Gila river. Though very successful in this undertaking, Mr. Pascoe disposed of his interests in November of 1899, to his brother, the former sheriff of Gila county. At the present time Mr. Pascoe is interested with .C. T. Martin and R. C. Brown in erecting the water-works for Globe, which will be on as complete and modern a scale as are the similar enterprises in larger and older towns. They sank a well one and a half miles from the town, and turned on the water in February, 1901. The reservoir containing the mountain spring water holds one hundred and forty thousand gallons of water, and the pumping capacity is two hundred thousand gallons every twenty-four hours, large enough for a town many times the size of Globe. The whole town is benefited by the enterprise and arduous labors of the gentlemen concerned in thus promoting the interests of their adopted settlement, and an important step has been taken in the march of progress and general convenience.

Among the various additional interests that command the time and attention of Mr. Pascoe must be mentioned the farming and stock-raising enterprises which are conducted in Gila and Graham counties. near Thatcher, in Graham county, is an especially beautiful and complete farm, with a fine house, orchard an<l windmill, and all modern and up-to-date improvements anti labor-saving devices. In politics a Republican, Mr. Pascoe has never entertained political aspirations, although he is deeply interested in the undertakings of his party. While living in Hollister, Cal., he was made a Mason, and in Globe is a member of the Globe White Mountain Lodge No. 3. He was married in 1886 to Mrs. Elsie Nichols, a native of Scotland.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona

ANDREW THOMPSON HAMMONS
ANDREW THOMPSON HAMMONS, cashier of the Old Dominion Commercial Company, of Globe, Arizona, was born in Angelina County, Texas, March 7, 1868. In 1877, his father, J. T. Hammons, an attorney of note, removed to Eastland County, Texas. Here he was elected Judge of the County Court by popular vote, and served in this capacity for six years. Judge Hammons was an excellent pleader and public speaker, and was generally acknowledged the leading orator of Northwest Texas. Among his admirers he was mentioned for U. S. Senator. He is still living in Texas, but being advanced in age, has retired to private life. Andrew Thompson Hammons was elected Clerk of the District Court of his county at the age of 21 years, and held this office for three successive terms. He came to Globe, Arizona, in the spring of 1900 and immediately went to work in the Old Dominion Mines, where for two years he served in various capacities, from mucker to ore sorter, and when he left the mines he ranked as an expert on the ores of the district. In the fall of 1902 he was appointed cashier of The Old Dominion Commercial Company, one of the largest banking and commercial companies in Arizona, and has been in their employ continuously from that time. In addition to attending to the duties of his position as cashier, he is at the present time acting as assistant to the general manager, Governor George W. P. Hunt, and during the absence of Governor Hunt made necessary by his duties at the capitol, Mr. Hammons has assumed entire charge of the affairs of the corporation. He is also a heavy stockholder in various mining enterprises, and president of the Manitou Hill Copper Company and the Five Points Copper Mining Company. As a business man Mr. Hammons has been a thorough success from every viewpoint and is held in highest esteem among the public with whom he has dealt for more than twenty years, having by his integrity, veracity and firmness won their implicit confidence. He has ever chosen to retrace a false step rather than pursue a shadow, and this is probably the keynote of his success, material and otherwise, and has undoubtedly enabled him to get ahead. Socially Mr. Hammons stands in the front ranks. He has attained the highest degree in Freemasonry, is a member of the Odd Fellow, Knights of Pythias and Elks, in all of which he is prominently known. Politically he is a Progressive Democrat, a great admirer of Champ Clark and the principles which he advocates, and has been a member of the Democratic Central Committee for the past eight years, having served as chairman of that committee for two terms. Mrs. Hammons, who was Miss Harriet A. Baker, of Onarga, Ill., is also well and favorably known in Globe, where she takes a prominent part in church and social matters. She is the daughter of Colonel H. P. Baker, who went to Illinois from the East in the early "Go-West" days and became the owner of prairie land that is today worth many times its original cost, and has proven a very profitable investment for Colonel Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Hammons have two daughters, Edith and Dorothy. Miss Edith has been attending an eastern seminary from which she is about to graduate as valedictorian of her class; and Miss Dorothy is attending the high school of Globe, their home town, preparatory to taking an advanced course in the east.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
ROBERT L. PINYAN
ROBERT L. PINYAN, chief of police of Globe, Arizona, and assessor and tax collector ex-officio, is a native of Arkansas, having been born at Pea Ridge, in 1869. He is the son of George W. and Nancy Dawson Pinyan. Mr. Pinyan was educated in the common schools of Arkansas and Colorado. He came to Arizona in 1900, located at Globe and commenced work as a miner with the United Globe Mining Company. He showed such marked ability that he was promoted several times and held the position of foreman when he was appointed chief of police. After having served a short term by appointment he announced himself as a candidate in the primary election, and from a field of nine received a large majority, his work having been so satisfactory that the business and professional men of the town united and worked for his election. He is chairman of the board of school trustees, and will have charge of the erection of a high school within the next year. During his term of office the improvements in the Globe city schools have been marked and the system at the present time is considered one of the best in the state. Chief Pinyan is not only one of the ablest officers in the state and leader in the civic life of Globe, but is also prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of the Elks and Mystic Circle. He was united in marriage with Miss Ellen Balmear, of Animas City, Colorado, and to the union have been born four bright and interesting children, two boys, Charles and Leslie, and two girls, Ruth and Sunshine.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

GEORGE WALTER SCHUTE
GEORGE WALTER SCHUTE, Judge of the Superior Court of Gila County, was a practicing attorney for a number of years, and served as District Attorney before he was elected to his present position. Judge Schute was educated in the public schools of the State, and was graduated from the Tempe Normal, standing well in his class. After his admission to the bar, he was soon recognized as an able attorney, and established a reputation as a criminal lawyer, which made him a strong candidate for the position of District Attorney. He defeated one of the strongest attorneys in the county, and made such an excellent official, that he easily won in the primaries and the election. As a Judge he has been fair and impartial, and litigants and attorneys speak highly of the manner in which he has conducted his court.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

W. F. HAYNES
W. F. HAYNES, Sheriff of Gila County, has the distinction of having been elected to office by the largest vote polled for any man in the County, which is due, no doubt, to the record he made as under sheriff, and while filling the unexpired term of his predecessor, J. H. Thompson, which was ample assurance to the people of Gila County that the duties of the office would be carefully and conscientiously performed. Frank Haynes is a typical southerner and was born in Sharon, Tennessee, September 7, 1874. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools of Tennessee and of Texas, where he removed with his mother. Left an orphan at the age of two years by the death of his father, he early took upon himself responsibilities, and from the age of fourteen, when he moved to Texas, was variously employed as cowboy, rancher and in other capacities, until he reached his majority. At that time he began his career as a railroad man, which line he followed until the time he was appointed to the office of Deputy Sheriff in 1908. He was known throughout the Southwest as one of the most efficient and courteous conductors in the service and it was partially due to his popularity as a railroad man that he received so large a majority at the primaries and the election. He still retains his membership in the Order of Railroad Conductors, and the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen. He is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and a life member of the B. P. O. E. He is a descendant of a long line of southern Democrats, and is a staunch member of the party.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
JOHN FRANKLIN HECHTMAN
JOHN FRANKLIN HECHTMAN, senator from Gila County in the First Arizona State Legislature, has had a varied career, having had experience in law, government service, newspaper work, and mining, the latter being now his chief occupation. Mr. Hechtman was born in Erie County, Pa., in August, 1854, but in 1857 his parents removed to St. Anthony's Falls, Minn., and in 1862 to Washington, D. C., where his father, Captain of Co. "K", 83rd Penn. Vol., was in the hospital suffering from wounds received in battle. Here Mr. Hechtman served as messenger in the Treasury Department for more than a year, as page in the House and Senate for five years, and afterward was employed in the Coast Survey. He also attended public and private schools and studied law in Washington. In May, 1875, he returned to Minnesota, and remained there until the following March and then proceeded to the Black Hills of South Dakota, but in June of the same year located in Parrott City, Colorado, and engaged in mining and prospecting. He spent the years 1878 and 1879 prospecting in Arizona, but returned to Colorado. He had previously been admitted to the practice of law in the Supreme Court of that State, and in November, 1880, while performing the duties of five county offices was elected judge of his county. Senator Hechtman located permanently in Arizona in December, 1899, when he settled in Globe. Shortly afterward he was admitted to practice in the state, but he has never been actively engaged in legal work, his attention having been devoted in the main to mining, though for a time he was editor of the "Silver Belt". While he has been active in the interests of the Democratic party during his years of residence here, he has steadfastly declined to become a candidate for office until the fall of 1911 when he was nominated for senator, and elected by a sweeping majority. During the first session of the legislature the senator was one of the notably quiet but thorough and successful workers of the senate, and in his "Personnel of the Senate", his colleague, Senator C. B. Wood, has said of Senator Hechtman's personality and work: "He was one of the best liked men in the senate^always pleasant, accommodating, always pouring oil on the troubled waters, and always for peace and good fellowship. As Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and Chairman of the Committee on Counties and County Affairs, and as a member of five other important committees, he did much splendid work." Senator Hechtman is, in fact, a man whose courtesy, consideration and refinement of manner are inherent qualities, and immediately recognized as such, while his ability, practical knowledge, and thoroughness have made him one of the most valuable members of the legislature. In the special session he has served as Chairman of the Joint Code Revision Committee of the two houses and was an untiring worker in this momentous cause. He was also a member of five other committees, among which are the Judiciary and Style, Revision and Compilation.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
ERNEST WILLIAM LEWIS
ERNEST WILLIAM LEWIS is a native of the Keystone State, having been born in Indiana, Pennsylvania, December 27, 1875, and is the son of George R. and Nancy MacLane Lewis. He was educated primarily in the public schools and was afterwards graduated from the University of Minnesota. Having completed his course in law, he was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Arizona in 1900, and engaged in practice in Phoenix, which he continued until 1909. From 1903 until 1909 he also acted as Reporter of the Supreme Court of the Territory, and in the latter year was chosen Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, his term in this capacity having expired with the admission of Arizona to statehood. Judge Lewis has resumed private practice in Globe and is rated one of the most able attorneys in the state. Judge Lewis is a Republican in politics, a consistent member of the Episcopalian Church, and a member of the Masons, Knights Templar and Mystic Shrine. He was married February 19, 1902, to Miss Ethel May Orme, of Phoenix.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
LEROY AUSTIN LADD
LEROY AUSTIN LADD, secretary to Governor Hunt, is another example of the young man who survives hard knocks by regarding them as simply part of the game of getting ahead. His chief inheritances were a mind of his own and good health to back it up in emergencies, two important adjuncts to success which he still retains. The hard knocks were an education in themselves, for to the young man properly constituted mentally they reveal the common experience of millions, and start deep thought in regard to national and state problems bearing upon adequate reward for honest work, and the square deal in short, the great problem of humanity as it should be presented and solved in a country like ours. Leroy Ladd was born in Duanesburgh, New York, October 25, 1884, on the family homestead, which was part of a large land grant ceded to one of his ancestors, as reward for services performed during the French and Indian War. His father was a stockman, making a specialty of thoroughbred horses, a number of which made enviable track records. But the subject of this sketch had a more strenuous experience in store than is usually afforded by a comfortable homestead, and at the age of six was introduced to the outside world, when his father left New York and went to Connecticut, Oklahoma and Nebraska, pursuing his accustomed business. His father was also active in political life, served three successive terms as Mayor of Bloomfield, Connecticut, and in Oklahoma took an active part in public affairs. Leroy Ladd was educated in the schools of New York and Connecticut, was graduated from the public high school at Hartford, and then spent one year at Leland Stanford, Jr., University. Following this a year was spent ranching in Oklahoma and the Indian Nations, but the desire for more education being strong, he left the ranch to enter Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., where he remained three years and was graduated with honors in psychology and philosophy. Newspaper work then attracted him and he became associated with the staff of the Hartford Daily Courant. Commencing as general reporter, he later did special writing, and was soon holding the positions of staff correspondent and automobile editor. Subsequently for about a year, he was on the staff of the San Francisco Chronicle. On locating in Globe, Arizona, he served in turn as editor and editorial writer of the Silver Belt. Later he organized the Globe Bureau of Mines, a syndicate which supplied accurate news and special articles on Arizona mines for mining and financial journals, the influence of which was apparent in discouraging wildcat schemes. Mr. Ladd served as president and manager of the enterprise, and many articles were published over his name by leading financial papers. In connection with this he established the Mining News Letter, which attained a circulation of 5,600 weekly within four months, and the publicity this afforded was of untold benefit to the Globe-Miami district. Mr. Ladd's advent into the political life of Arizona occurred soon after his arrival in Globe, where he organized and was president of the "Young Turks," an organization enlisted to fight for clean politics and progressive principles. It was the first political organization in Arizona to declare for the initiative, referendum and recall. Its members took an active part in the election of delegates to the Constitutional Convention from Gila County, and every candidate they supported after the primaries was elected. Meanwhile, other counties in Arizona had organized along similar lines, and the movement had widespread influence in behalf of the progressive cause. During the campaign of the first general election of state officers, Mr. Ladd was publisher and editor of the Daily Globe, which most effectively aided the cause of the progressive Democrats, every one of whose candidates was elected in Gila County. When the first State Legislature convened in March, 1912, Mr. Ladd covered the proceedings for the Associated Press, and before its adjournment in June, 1912, he was appointed to his present position, Secretary to Governor Hunt. In performing the various duties of this position, which has been filled to the entire satisfaction of those concerned, he has displayed not only marked ability but the utmost tact and courtesy.
CY BYRNE
CY BYRNE, a member of the State Land Commission, is especially well qualified for the duties of the office, since he was connected with the Forestry Service for a number of years, and also traversed many miles through Arizona while a member of the Territorial Rangers, having served two years in that capacity before he became affiliated with the National Forest work. Mr. Byrne is a native of the Buckeye State, having been born in Sandusky in 1871. He has been identified with many enterprises since coming to Arizona and has an excellent idea of the values of land throughout the State. He came to Arizona in 1894, worked in the Black Warrior and the Old Dominion Mines for some time, after which he entered the employ of the Old Dominion Commercial Company. He has had practical experience as a miner, having prospected for several years, and is still interested in a number of valuable claims in the Superior District. As Land Commissioner he brings to the office a fund of experience gained in the various enterprises where first hand knowledge of the worth of the land can best be obtained ; and to this may be added his experience in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, where he was engaged in the cattle business for some time. As Deputy Sheriff of Gila County he was known as an energetic and fearless officer. He is closely identified with the fraternal life of the State, being a thirty-third degree Mason and a member of the B. P. C. E. As a Democrat of the progressive type he took an active part in the Statehood campaign, and later in the choosing of the officials to govern the new State, and he ranks as one of the leaders of the progressive democracy of Arizona.

HENRY MEADE WOODS
HENRY MEADE WOODS, Manager of the Calumet-Copper Creek Mining Company, at Winkelman, first came to Arizona in 1882. Born at Lowell, Vermont, April 26, I860, he was educated first in the public schools, and was graduated from the University of Vermont with the class of 1880. He was later graduated from the Chicago School of Law. He came to this State as the representative here of the Santa Fe Railroad, and remained for several years. He went to Guthrie, Oklahoma, in 1893, as editor and publisher of the Oklahoma Medical Journal, The Baptist Visitor and The Plymouth Herald. In 1904 he returned to Arizona, this time as representative of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Mr. Wood is a member of one of the early time families, widely known in Vermont, whose history is closely associated with that of the State, two of his collateral ancestors on his mother's side, Asabel Peck and John W. Meade, having been Governors of the State. His mother's brother, Honorable Cornelius S. Palmer, is now Judge of the Court of Special Pleas in Vermont. In 1881 Mr. Palmer was Chief Justice of South Dakota, through appointment made by President Garfield. Mr. Woods' father, Edwin Woods, together with his brothers, Samuel, of Lodi, and Horace, of Modoc County, California, were original argonauts of '49, the latter two never having returned to Vermont, but remained in California, where they acquired wealth and reared families. Their daughters, grand children and great grand children are now native sons and daughters of California and Arizona. Mr. Woods was happily married October 13, 1884, to Miss Emma Bodge Peck, and they have three sons, William Edwin, Walter Foss and Lugene Peck. William Edwin Woods is General Manager of the "Midway Co. Inc.," of Norwich and New London, Conn. ; Walter Foss Woods is a prominent electrical engineer of Springfield, Mo., and Eugene Peck Woods is late of the U. S. S. S. Tacoma. Mrs. Woods' sister, the remaining daughter of Captain William C. Peck, is the wife of Oscar Brady, of the famous Brady family, publishers, now controlling McClure's Magazine, and originators of Boyce's Weeklies. Though a man of intense public spirit, with a keen interest in matters of local or State advancement, Mr. Woods' business connections have been such that he has not found it feasible to take much active part in affairs as office holder. He served one term as Justice in Gila County, but was obliged to decline the candidacy for delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He has, however, exercised much influence in the upbuilding of educational advantages and of churches in Arizona. He was State President of the American Protective Association for Kansas in 1894, and made a campaign of the State as candidate for Railroad Commissioner in 1895. Mr. Woods is also a member of the National Geographic Society, and a special authority on the Apache Indians; an officer of the Woodmen, and was a Phi Delta Theta of the University of Vermont, class of 1880. He is owner of the Intervale Farm, in Graham County, of much property in Winkelman, and through the Ray fire of June, 1912, lost a large and valuable block of property in that town. A busy man, with varied interests, both corporation and personal, requiring close attention, Mr. Woods has yet found time to do much in a quiet way that has made him one of the best known and most highly esteemed men in that part of Arizona. For several years prior to the late Republican convention in Chicago, Mr. Woods was a progressive Republican. Naturally he was at the accouchement of the Progressive party and is a charter member.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
WILLIAM E. BROOKS
WILLIAM E. BROOKS, Representative from Gila County, was born in Lee County, Alabama. He was graduated from Yale University in 1897, and served as a soldier during the Spanish-American war. He was been a resident of Arizona since 1903, and has made his home in both Graham and Gila Counties, where he has been connected with mining enterprises. In the campaign of 1910 Mr. Brooks was very active in support of the principles of the initiative, referendum, recall and direct primary, and was a member of the convention that chose delegates to the Constitutional Convention. He was elected to the First State Legislature, and in the regular session was Chairman of the Committee on Appropriations. He opposed extravagance in the State departments, but voted for appropriations to enable the various departments to properly perform the duties for which they are maintained. He has steadfastly advocated liberal appropriations for the maintenance and improvement of Arizona's educational institutions, and has worked earnestly for free text books in the public schools and for a limitation of the hours of working women. Thoroughly realizing that Arizona's public domain must not be squandered, he believes that liberal terms should be given to bona fide settlers, and is an advocate of the early opening of the great reservations that are keeping in idleness great tracts of land that should serve as homes for the citizens of Arizona.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
JOHN D. WICK, JR.,
John D. Wick Jr. manager of The Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company, at Globe, Arizona, was born in Youngstown, Ohio, September 13, 1876, and has been a resident of Arizona for more than seven years. Before coining to this state he was employed in the treasurer's office of the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company, as chief clerk, for four years. This is a subsidiary company of the United States Steel Corporation, with headquarters in New York City, where Mr. Wick was in their employ. His first position in Arizona was with The Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company in a minor capacity, from which he has been advanced to that of manager of the Globe Branch. Being thoroughly experienced in banking and financial matters in general, Mr. Wick has done much to increase the number of the bank's friends in his locality. He is an active member of the Masonic order.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
ED. M. BLAKE,
Ed M. Blake manager of the branch banks of the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company at Hayden, Ray and Winkelman, came to Arizona in 1876. As he was wearing kilts at that time, he is practically a native Arizonan. He is the son of Francis W. Blake, one of the pioneer bankers of Arizona, nephew of Thomas J. Butler, Territorial Treasurer for several terms during the late eighties and early nineties, and of J. Frank Meador, Territorial Auditor under Governor Zulick. Mr. Blake has been in the banking business most of the time since he finished school in Ohio. He was manager of The Bank of Bisbee's branch at Naco for eight years, and was later elected cashier of The Bank of Lowell, vvhich position he resigned to accept one as assistant cashier of a National Bank in Santa Ana, California. He remained in the latter state two years, but the attractions of Arizona with its statehood have brought him back. In 1894 Mr. Blake married Miss Mary Otis, daughter of T. W. Otis, a pioneer merchant of Prescott, and their two boys, Francis and Edward, and their three girls, Margaret, Mary and Caroline, will in due time assume their duties and responsibilities as Arizonans.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
HARRY STANTON BAILEY,
Harry Stanton Bailey manager of The Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company at Winkelman, was born at Morgantown, Kentucky, April 4, 1887. He is the son of James A. and Frances C. Bailey, both natives of Kentucky. He was educated in the public schools of Morgantown, w7here he was graduated from the High School, and took a business course at Bowling Green. His first position was in a bank at Morgantown as messenger and check filer. He was later head bookkeeper with the John M. Carson Banking Company, Morgantown, which position he resigned to come to Arizona and accept another with The Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company at Globe. With this company he first served as individual bookkeeper, then exchange teller, receiving teller, and in May, 1912, was promoted to his present position at the Winkelman Branch. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Woodmen of the World and the Improved Order of Redrnen. He was married on Christmas, 1911 to Miss Eulalia Morehead.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
MYRON FORGES,
Myron Forges, manager of The Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company at Ray. was born at Dillon, Summit County, Colorado, January 5. 1888, was educated in the public schools of Colorado, and graduated from the High School of Cripple Creek. His first position was a minor one with the Bimetallic Bank at Cripple Creek, from which he went to the First National Bank in the same town. He then spent two years in Goldfield, Nevada, and returned to Colorado to accept a position as assistant cashier of the City Bank. His next move was to Los Angeles, where he secured a position with the Central National Bank, but before long he removed to Arizona to enter the employ of the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company at Winkelman. The excellent training and varied experience which Mr. Forges had had in b?nking work enabled him to most satisfactorily and ably meet the requirements of his position with the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company, and before long he was promoted to manager of the Ray Branch. Mr. Forges is an active member of the B. P. O. E. He married Miss Fannie Gottberg. They have two little daughters, Evelyn, aged four, and Emily, aged two.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors
MULFORD WINSOR,
Mulford Winsor, chairman of the State Land Commission, was born in Jewell City, Kansas, May 31, 1874. His father was editor of the Jewell City Republican, and when but seven years old, he began to get an insight into the work of a newspaper office, and much of his education was obtained in this way. In 1885 the family moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he worked at the printing trade and attended high school while serving as journeyman printer. With politics as with newspaper work, he early acquired a thorough knowledge of the subject, and since his coming to Arizona he has been a remarkable influence in the Democratic party, an in flue nee distinguished by his consistent advocacy of progressive principles. He came to Prescott in 1892, where he remained two years, and then removed to Yuma. In journalism he is a leader in the state, and a writer of exceptional ability, being both fluent and accurate. Mr. Winsor was the first historian of Arizona, and his work in this particular is widely known. In 1896 he established The Yuma Sun, and he has also owned and edited The Tucson Citizen, Phoenix Enterprise, and Daily Globe, of Globe. As editor of the latter paper he wrote the first editorials appearing in the state advocating the Initiative, Referendum and Recall, and calling upon the Democratic party to champion the cause of popular government in connection with the work of framing Arizona's constitution. He was selected in Yuma county as delegate to the Constitutional Convention, and was Chairman of the Committee on Legislative Departments, which had charge of the Initiative and Referendum Article of the Constitution. Mr. Winsor was secretary to Governor Hunt until his appointment as member of the Land Commission. He is a member of the Yuma Lodge of Elks, and has served as District Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler, the highest honor to be conferred by this order in the state.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

C. N. CRESWELL,
C. N. Creswell, State Inspector of Weights and Measures, and the first incumbent in this office, that has been created since the coming of Statehood, was born near Knoxville, Term., on November 29th, 1852. His father William A. Creswell, and his mother, who was formerly Miss Phoebe A. Bicknell, were both natives of Tennessee. The family moved to Texas in 1859, and it was there that Mr. Creswell was reared and received his education. His early life was spent on a farm which he left at his majority to take up other pursuits, his first venture being a political position in the capacity of Deputy Sheriff in Belton, Texas, which position he held for five years. He then removed to Albany, Texas, and engaged in the mercantile business, remaining there until April, 1885. At that time he disposed of his business and removed to Arizona, arriving at Payson, Arizona, about June, 1885, where he again engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Creswell sold his business at Payson, and in December, 1890, moved to Globe to accept the position of Under Sheriff of Gila County, which position he held for six years, and afterwards for two years he served as Clerk of the District Court of Gila County. Both of these positions he filled in a very creditable manner, receiving many commendations for the way he conducted both of these offices. In 1900 he again turned his attention to the mercantile business, and for ten years following was manager of Alexander Bros', store at Ft. Thomas, and later manager of Morris Simon's store at Bowie, until his appointment on June 3, 1912, by Governor Geo. W. P. Hunt to his present position. Mr. Creswell has always been a true Democrat, and also an active party worker, being particularly prominent in the political affairs of Gila County for a number of years. For eighteen years or more he has been a close personal and business friend of Governor Hunt. The record Mr. Creswell made for law enforcement in his positions in the Sheriff's office and the success he has made as a practical business man assures great success in the administration of the new department of Weights and Measures. Mrs. Creswell was formerly Miss Catharine J. Blair, a native of Iowa.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

PETER C. LITTLE,
Peter C. Little, well known attorney of Globe, and member of the firm of Rawlins & Little, was born on a farm in Catawba County, N. C., September 5, 1861. He is the son of Peter Little and Eleonora Henkel. His father, who died during the Civil War, was a descendant of one of the colonists who came from England with William Penn and settled in Pennsylvania in 1682, and his great-great-grandfather, Peter Little, served in the Revolutionary War. His mother, who is still living, is a descendant of Justus Henkel, son of Reverend Gerhard Henkel, who was preacher to a German Count, came to America in 1718, and settled at Germantown, a suburb of Philadelphia, Penn. Mr. Little's great-grandfather, Reverend Paul Henkel, served as chaplain under Gen. Muhlenberg during the Revolution. Peter C. Little received his primary education in private schools in North Carolina, and when 18 years of age went to Fredericktown, Mo. There he taught in the district schools, in the meantime attending college and being graduated from Concordia College, Mo., with the degree of Ph. B., in 1886. He then took up the study of law, and in June, 1888, was admitted to practice before all Courts of Record, including the Supreme Court of the State of Missouri. November 25, 1888, he was married to Miss Julia P. Dalton, of Greenville, Mo. To this union an only son, Kirby D. Little, now a student in the University of Southern California, was born. Owing to the ill health of his wife he was compelled to give up his practice in Missouri and remove to Southern California, and having been admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the State, followed his profession in Riverside and Orange counties. Here his wife died, and early in 1901 he removed to the Clifton-Metcalf district of Arizona, and has been a resident of this state since, in Graham and Gila counties. In 1903 he was married to the present Mrs. Little, who was Miss Emma C. Whitener, daughter of Miles W. and Catherine Whitener, of Castor, Mo. Always a stanch Democrat, though not much of a politician, Mr. Little has held official positions in each of the states in which he has lived since maturity, having been Commissioner of Public Schools of Wayne County, Mo.; Attorney of Orange County, Cal., and in 1903 was elected by an overwhelming majority Judge of the Probate Court of Graham County, and in 1905 re-elected without an opponent. In January, 1907, he located at Globe, where he entered into the present partnership with Charles L. Rawlins, former District Attorney of Graham County. The firm from the beginning has been successful, and has a large and lucrative practice in corporation, civil and probate cases, and its members are recognized among the leading attorneys of Gila County. He was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Baltimore in 1912.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors


Return To The Main Index Page