This hospital is a part of the
work of the Organized Charities of Tucson,
by which society it is managed and financed. Only tubercular patients
are received. With crowding, twenty patients
have been accommodated but eighteen is the average. Patients are taken
absolutely free when without funds, but
are required to pay for all or part of their care when they are found
able to do so. During the first five months
of 1919 the per capita cost of maintaining the patients was $11.56 per
The hospital was opened in December, 1918, in a group of buildings known as "Tentville," in which tubercular men had previously "batched." A new building is under way containing a men's ward of eight beds, two separate rooms for cases requiring privacy, a matron's room, with bath, as well as toilet facilities for the ward. The Red Cross has donated its canteen building which will be converted into a kitchen. Old and new buildings will be connected by screened porches and runways. When these buildings are completed, and funds secured for their maintenance, the hope is to build an additional ward for women. It is not desired to advertise this hospital in the East, as the demand is now much greater than can be met." The most welcome donation of the use of suitable buildings and equipment for the summer of 1919 made it possible to transfer the patients to Oracle so that they might be spared the intense heat of the frame buildings in Tucson during the hot weather.
The Federal Government
maintains a large hospital for tubercular patients
at Whipple Barracks, in Prescott. In 1920 the Government purchased a
large piece of improved land just outside
of Tucson, and has established upon it a large tuberculosis sanitorium
for disabled war veterans, known as the
United States Public Health Service Hospital, No. 51 most convenience
to patients, nurses and attendants. Those
patients who are able partly to care for themselves and go to the
dining hall for their meals are located
in comfortable cottages, each accommodating four men. There are also an
infirmary and a semi ambulant ward for
patients needing more attendance. Besides being well equipped with all
modern medical and surgical appliances,
the hospital is provided with its own central steam plant, electric
light and power plant and water works. The
buildings are beautifully located in a grove of trees in what was
formerly known as Pastime Park, and the people
of Tucson lose no opportunity of adding to the pleasure of the
An Episcopalian Institution.
Superintendent, Mr. Edward C. Clark. This sanitorium,
accommodating twelve patients at present, is intended for men patients
who cannot afford to pay more than ten dollars
a week for their care. The ten dollar payment entitles the patient to
bed, board and general nursing, attendance
of a physician and medicine. The difference between the payment and the
actual cost of maintaining the patient
is met by donations and subscriptions. In 1919 the cost of maintenance
of the hospital was $4507.06, of which $2386.08
was charitable aid. The desire of the directors is to raise the money
to build and equip an addition which
will accommodate six more patients, which will in turn increase the
cost of maintenance of the sanitorium
St. Luke's Home is a
thoroughly equipped sanitorium tor the treatment of
tuberculosis. It is under the auspices of the Episcopal Church, but
patients are admitted without distinction of
creed. It is on the desert two miles from Phoenix. The price of board
per week, which includes medical attention
and everything except personal laundry and medicine, is graded
according to the circumstances of the patients,
and is reduced as far as gifts from friends of the home for its support
will allow able to pay the full rate, which
is intended to cover the actual cost of maintenance, was 32. Forty-four
patients have been received at reduced
rates and fifteen have been cared for entirely free. The actual cost of
maintenance has been $16.05; the average
amount paid by patients has been $9.98.
During the hot months the patients have been sent to bungalows belonging to the home but attached to a private sanitorium In Prescott.
This proposed sanitorium is
not yet in existence, but it is already partly financed and it is
hoped will soon be a reality. This will be a
comfortable camp near Prescott, to which patients in St. Luke's Home
and St. Luke's
in the Desert can be sent during the hot
months, those hospitals being closed during that time.
This hospital has separate
accommodations for tubercular patients in addition to its general
wards and private rooms for general practice.
Pima County contracts with the hospital for the care of its indigent
sick and infirm.
The hospital has eighty beds, and in the year
1918-1919 cared for forty-eight free patients.
This hospital for general
cases has fifty beds. In the year 1918-1919 there were fourteen free
patients and eighteen partly free, a total
of 314 bed-days on free service, which in some cases included operating
and surgical dressings. Besides this, free
out-patients are given clinical care and dressings.
This general hospital has
thirty beds, and in the year 1918-1919 cared for fifty free patients.
There are twenty-five beds in
the hospital at present, but a new building which will accommodate
more patients is now being constructed. It
is now estimated that free service to the amount of $800 was given in
An Episcopalian institution
for the Navajo Indians. Miss Thackara, Superintendent. The Indians receive free care, and the cost of
maintenance of the hospital is approximately
$7000 a year.
Casa Grande, Jan. 27. The
following is the official statement of plans for the new tubercular
sanatorium, which has been given out here by
the board of trustees composed of the following: W. P. Clements, E. 'G.
and G. W. Burgess : This institution is a
gift of the wealthy people of the United States to the tubercular
Every millionaire in the United
States is to be solicited for funds. Over 1000 of the country's wealthiest men and women have been asked for donations for this huge institution and the results have been greater than anticipated.
For the Public.
This institution will be for the public and will not be operated for profit. Tubercular persons who have means will be asked to pay for their care, while those without funds will be cared for gratis.
Twenty-five Main Buildings
Plans for the sanitarium, drawn by Lang & Witchell, architects, of Dallas, Texas, provide for twenty-five main buildings and scores of smaller buildings, which include an administration building, chapel and library, laboratory buildings, two infirmaries, two nurses' homes, sixteen ward buildings, individual cottages for families or isolated cases. Where one member of a family is infected and the family is without funds, the entire family will betaken into the home, assigned to a cottage and given a small patch of ground to attend.
The institution is not to be a money-making proposition. It is planned to make it self-supporting if possible and it is believed that this can be done, otherwise interest will be so aroused among the moneyed men of the nation that they will provide for its maintenance.
The site for the institution is on a slight rise overlooking the Casa Grande valley. The rise is gradual from the railroad to the foothills and mountains in the rear. The main Casa Grande valley road runs about one-half mile from the site. A connecting branch is being built. The site has an "A" water right. Plans for the institution provide a separate water, electric light
and sewer system. A dairy herd will be purchased and maintained
Transcribed and Contributed by Candi Horton