Arizona
                Trails
Welcome To
                Genealogy Trails

Mohave County, Arizona
Biographies


ANDY DEVINE

There must be somebody who hasn't heard of Andy Devine, but that person  sure doesn't live in Kingman where Andy is becoming somewhat of a folk hero.  Who would have thought on November 16,1906, when Amy Devine, Mae, her stepdaughter, and Tom, Jr., her son, stepped from the train in Kingman, that the year old boy she was carrying in her arms would turn out to be Kingman's favorite son.  Amy's husband, Tom, had been a railroad employee in Flagstaff until a terrible accident had taken his leg.  Unable to continue his work for the railroad, he took the settlement they offered and purchased the Beale Hotel.

Tom Devine was 36 years old when he came to Kingman, an affable and likable irish Catholic, who was a second generation American.  Although not as well educated as his wife Amy, and it has been said that she schooled him, he was educated enough to be elected Treasurer of Coconino County, He later served as Mohave County's Treasurer for many years and was a  successful and respected businessman in this community.  Tom Devine was also a community minded man.  One of the more interesting endeavors that he was involved with was the Good Roads Association, a group of Northern Arizona citizens who were successful in having the National Old Trails Highway take the northern route rather than the southern route through Phoenix.  This highway became the famous Route 66.

Amy Devine, Andy's mother, was probably a greater influence in his life than his father.  She had been a teacher and tutor and had tutored the children of the Governor of Nevada before her marriage to Tom. It was Amy who patiently helped Andy recover his speech after the accident that damaged his throat and who strove to curb the exceptional energy that got him into many scrapes and accidents as a child.  Amy was also a community-minded woman.  She was a member of the Red Cross Relief Corp., was confirmed and became active in the Catholic Church and, at one time, tried to start an Elks' ladies group called the Does.  That particular endeavor was not successful

If there is one thing that Andy's old Kingman friends agree on it is that Andy had one heck of a lot of exuberance.  This trait frequently got him hurt.  As  early as February 29, 1908, the Mohave Miner was reporting that "Andrew, the three year old child of Mr.& Mrs. Thomas Devine, fell from the rear porch of the Beale Hotel to the ground, a distance of about 13 feet sustaining a fracture of the left arm and sundry cuts and bruises.  The little fellow is getting along nicely.' It may have been the last time anyone called Andy "a little fellow," but it was not the last time he made the papers for a broken bone.  On May 23,1914, the Miner again reported that "Andrew... fell from the rear porch of the Hogan residence and fractured an arm." And, according to Andy's wife, he broke another bone when he fell out of a tree while military school.

The stories about the mischievous young boy abound, both in Kingman and within Andy's family.  Glenn Johnson, long time friend, said he always remembered two particular incidents about Andy.  One was that in a greased pig contest Andy caught the pig because he tripped and fell on it.  Even as a boy he was large and he just flattened the pig.  Glenn also remembered that toward the end of WWI there was a Liberty Bond drive, and the army brought in a M1917 two man tank with a 30 caliber machine gun.  Andy climbed on the back and rode all over town much to the amusement of the townsfolk and the dismay of the tank driver who could not get him off and drive the tank at the same time.

Dorothy Devine says the various versions of the "cat incident" make Andy sound awful, but she says the incident did indeed occur.  What actually happened was that one of the local judges offered Andy and a friend 50 cents to get rid of a mangy old cat for him.  He emphasized that they do so in  humane manner.  Fifty cents was a princely sum in those days, so Andy and his friend undertook this assignment.. They knew where some dynamite was, so took cat, dynamite and a long, long fuse to the dump where they proceeded to carefully wrap the cat in dynamite.  What could be more humane than instant destruction, they reasoned.  They lit the fuse and ran like crazy.  They looked around and much to their dismay found the cat following them fuse burning vigorously.  The boys ran by the Van Marter house and the cat ran under the house.  Andy said he was terrified that the dynamite would blow up the house, but the cat ran out from under the house and into the woodshed.  The woodshed blew sky high.  No one ever knew what happened until years later Andy, in a personal appearance in Kingman, confessed to the crime.

There is one more Andy Devine "mischievous boy " story, and it is a favorite. Andy and his brother Tom both worked in the Beale Hotel for their father. Among the clientele were many salesmen, or drummers, as they were called in those days.  They used to pack their satchels, park them near the front door and then play pool in the pool room while waiting for the train. One time Andy took hammer and nails, nailed the satchels to the floor and then shouted, "Train's a leavin'!"  into the pool room.  The drummers made a dash for the door, grabbed their satchels, but left the bottoms plus contents on the floor when they hurriedly jerked up on the handles.  It worked better than Andy dreamed, but Dorothy says he wasn't able to sit down for a week.

According to Irma Lang, daughter of the theater owner in Kingman, Andy was a rascal, but more important he always told the truth, and he was always polite.  He was also something of a ladies' man, but treated them politely as well.  Andy didn't get in many fights, but Johnny Adams, a professional boxer from 1919-1931, was a real slugger.  Johnny didn't lose many fights, but he lost his first one (in the fourth grade) to Andy Devine. "He started in on me because I swore in front of my sister .. my sister, who was older, stepped in, hit Andy a couple of times and broke it up." Andy must have been confused to be attacked by the girl he was defending.

Andy Devine was a small town boy, and he retained all his life those qualities which we associate with growing up in a small town.  He never "went Hollywood" but instead went through life with a good sense of what  was important.  In a place where divorce was the name of the game, Andy and Dorothy were happily married for over forty years.  They were  introduced by Will Rogers, who kidded Andy about robbing the cradle and being a dirty old man, because Dorothy was only 19 and Andy was 29 when they were married, in 1933. Dorothy says they spent one night of their honeymoon in the Beale HoteL Andy told her they would stay in the new part, but she remembers a room so small that one of them had to go out in the corridor to give the other room to dress.

They raised their boys on a ranch away from the false glitter of the movie  industry and kept their life separate from the movie colony.  Andy and the boys were active in scouting and 4-H.  They raised pigeons and horses, hunted and fished, and got interested in ham radios.  Andy told his boys that he would try to live his life not to embarrass them, if they would do the same for him. After appearing with Andy in Canyon Passage in 1946, the boys decided movie acting wasn't for them. Tad and Dennis both graduated from college and from that time on were independent of their parents' wealth.  Both Dorothy and Andy can take pride in a job well done in child raising.

Although Andy Devine's acting career started out as an accidental happening - he was standing on a street corner in Hollywood when "discovered" - he had to struggle to make his career successful.  Andy's first picture was a silent film and, as a bit player, he made several such films in the mid-to-late 1920's.  But the talkies came on the scene and Devine's film career appeared to be over, primarily because of his voice which was high, squeaky and had a timorous catch to it.  The dramatic parts were out, but, with the popularity of the "rah-rah" college movies, Andy's voice became as asset.  They put him in a bearskin coat and he became the friendly sophomore cheerleader.  The "voice" which almost cost him his career, eventually became the key to Andy's success and popularity in films, stage, radio and television.  Once heard, those raspy, squeaky tones are never forgotten. That voice, plus his bulky frame led inevitably to the comedic roles for which he is well known.  The "steam calliope with the broken key" was the voice he grew up with although not the one he was born with.  According to his wife, Dorothy, Andy was jumping up and down  on the couch with a curtain rod in his mouth when be was a small boy.  He fell and was seriously injured in the throat and vocal cords.  For two years after the accident he could not speak without stuttering and the characteristic "break" was a direct result of that accident.  A common rumor was that he had nodes on his vocal cords.  He did not, but joked that he had the same "nodes" as Bing Crosby, but Crosby's were in tune.  Once persuaded to see a doctor, Andy was told that it was his voice and he was stuck with it.  Lucky Andy.  Imagine being stuck with a voice that was insured by Lloyds of London for a "half a million"

It was not only the voice that made Andy "an original," as his friend Guy Madison called him.  He had a fine sense of the comic relief character so important to the western morality play.. Although in his first western, Law and order (1932), he played a dull-witted young man who is hanged after an accidental killing, that type of role soon gave way to the "sidekick." He played Cookie Bullfincher in nine movies, replacing Gabby Hayes in the Roy Rogers' movies, and continued throughout his career playing the comic relief roles in musicals, westerns, and even a couple of gangster pictures.

Most of those films were Class B pictures, but Andy was one of those actors who could and did cross the line frequently into the Class A movies.  His first class A movie, Stagecoach (1939) in which he played the stage driver, was a tremendous boost to his career.  The making of the movie also brought him a friendship with John Wayne that lasted until Andy's death.  Andy made more Class A movies than any other western sidekick except for Walter Brennan.

The rumor that Andy played Shakespeare is true.  In Romeo and Juliet (1937) - with Norma Shearer, Andy donned tights and played Peter, the manservant, to excellent reviews.  He also played in the original "A Star is born" one of his favorite films.

Andy made film after film until the mid 50's when he decided to be more selective.  Some of those selections include Island in the Sky, Around The World in 80 Days, and a return to westerns with his roles of Marshal Link Appleyard in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, with his old friend John Wayne.

Devine was also a very successful television star, with the role of Jingles in Wild Bill Hickok  being the most famous.  In 1974, 20 years after the series, Andy was boarding a plane in Miami when a bomb was reported.  All the passengers had to open their luggage so everything could be inspected.  When the FBI agent came to Andy, he passed him through saying, "If you Can't trust Jingles, who can you trust."

His stage career was also an important part of his later acting years.  He  played the Captain in Showboat (1957) and went on to play in Anything Goes (1961), My Three Angels and Never Too Late.  Andy was a delight to work with. He believed that he was only as good as the best actor on the stage and went out of his way to help newcomers.  Live theater was different than movie acting.  The stage requires a lot of publicity, but interviewers found themselves being interviewed instead.  Andy was interested in people and wanted to know all about them. Dorothy traveled with Andy in his stage work.  She laughingly calls her job "his wardrobe  mistress," but she was much more than that.  She was in fact the one who took care of all the details of which there were many.

He retired once, but it drove both Andy and Dorothy crazy so he went back to work and was still acting until shortly before his death, in 1977.  In all, Andy made over 400 films and more radio, stage and television appearances than anyone cared to count.  He was in the first pictures that Hollywood greats Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne made.

There is no doubt that Andy Devine is well loved by his peers, his fans and his hometown.  He remained true to himself and his upbringing to the end, retaining his good-natured, unassuming personality despite his illness with leukemia.  Andy died of cardiac arrest in 1977.  Andy was buried at the Pacific View Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar, CA.  His brother, Tom, followed, early in 1986.  Andy's funeral reduced John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart to tears and Guy Madison praised him because to Andy "each Man's time is important, no matter his station in life.",  We, in Kingman, celebrate Andy Devine Days, partly because he was a famous movie star, but primarily because he was one of our own, a decent, caring man who took what gifts he had and built a life to be proud of, if we listen carefully on Andy Devine Days we may hear, above the hoopla and fanfare, a squeaky, raspy voice, saying, "I've got the best seat in the house".
  (by Karin Goudy  September 1986 Source: Mohave County Museum)

THOMAS DEVINE,
Treasurer of Mohave County, was well qualified for the position when he was chosen by the voters of the County, having previously been Treasurer of Coconino County before he came to the county famed throughout the Southwest as a gold producer. When he completed his term of Treasurer of Coconino there was not a better kept set of books in the State, every cent had been accounted for, and the books were arranged so as to show at a glance the county's financial standing. A staunch Democrat of the old school, he was elected in Coconino, a Republican stronghold, and was among the leaders, having received a flattering majority at the primaries and election. His parents, Thomas and Martha Dobbin Devine, both came from Ireland and were among the pioneers of Michigan. Mr. Devine was born on a farm in Michigan in 1869, and was educated in the common schools of Kansas, where his family had removed when he was but four years old. Having finished school and spent several years on the Kansas farm, young Devine started his career as a railroad man with the Missouri Pacific at Kansas City, later served an apprenticeship with the Union Pacific as blacksmith, then came to Arizona and took a position with the A. L. & T. Co., at Flagstaff, which he held for one year, when he became brakeman for the company on their log train. Here he met with an accident which prevented his working for more than a year, when he took a position with the Flagstaff Electric Light Company. He was then elected Treasurer of the county for two succeeding terms, the second time with a much larger majority than the first. Upon the completion of his second term he moved to Mohave County, where he had purchased tin- Beale Hotel, which he has since conducted. Mrs. Devine was Miss Amy Ward, of Illinois. They have two sons Thomas, Jr., and Andrew, and one daughter Mrs. May Beecher. Mr. Devine belongs to the Elks, having become a charter member of Flagstaff Lodge, and never transferred.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

FRED W. MORRISON.

Fred W. Morrison, attorn ey-at-law, of Kingman, is rapidly coming to the front ranks of his profession in Mohave county, where his residence dates back but two years. For twenty-two months he was associated with Fleetwood Bell, their partnership having been entered upon in August, 1899. soon after his arrival here. Be-ing an able and ambitious young man, full of energy and determination, he is receiving favor-able notice among his professional co-workers.

A native of Missouri, Mr. Morrison was born in Fayette, Howard county, in 1873- He re-ceived the advantages of a liberal education, attending the public schools and Central Col-lege of his native place, after which he pursued his higher studies in Christian Brothers College in St. Louis. Before he had reached his ma-jority, and becanse he was too young to enter any profession, he traveled as salesman for a St. Louis house, and also for some time repre-sented the business interests of Swift Packing Company, of Kansas City, on the road. In 1896 he began the study of law in the office of R. G Qark, of Fayette. Afttr due preparation, he took the examination and in July, 1808, was ad-mitted to (lie bar. In May, 1899, he was admit-ted to practice in the supreme court of Missouri.

After establishing an office and practicing law in Fayette for a few months, Mr. Morrison concluded to try his fortunes in Arizona. In the spring of 1899 he settled in Prescott and was connected with the firm of Herndon & Norris until August, 1899, when he came to Kingman. His partnership with Mr. Bell was mutually beneficial, and they were engaged as legal ad-visers of the Gaddis & Perry Company, also many of the leading business firms of the city and county. They established a branch office at Chloride and built up a large and profitable prac-tice in that locality, where Mr. Morrison owns some mining property. He is an active worker in the Democratic party and is counted upon as an ardent young politician.

Mr. Bell was graduated from the State University of Missouri at Columbia in 1897, and during the same year was admitted to the bar of his home state, after which he practiced in Columbia until March, 1899. During June of that year he began professional practice in Ari-zona. In the fall of 1900 he sold his interest in the law business to Mr. Morrison and moved to Prescott. Since that time the latter gentle-man has had in charge the management of the practice they had built up and at the same time he has increased its volume by the gaining of additional work along professional lines.
Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources 1901 Chapman Publishing

HON. WEBSTER. STREET.

In the last half, century the lawyer has been a pre-eminent factor in alt affairs of private concern and national importance. He has been depended upon to conserve the best and permanent interests of the whole people and is a recognized power in all the avenues of life. He stands as the protector of the rights and liberties of his fellow men and is the representative of a profession whose followers, if they would gain honor, fame and success, must be men of merit and ability. Such a one is Judge Street, now chief justice of Arizona.

He was born in Salem, Ohio, June 8, 1846, a son of Samuel and Sarah (Butler) Street, the former also a native of Salem, Ohio, the latter of Philadelphia, Pa. His early ancestors on both sides were of English descent and prominent members of the Society of Friends. His paternal grandfather, John Street, was born near Philadelphia, Pa., and became a pioneer merchant of Salem, Ohio. He married Miss Ann Ogden of New Jersey. The maternal grand-father, Benjamin Butler, was also a native of New Jersey, and an early settler of Salem, Ohio. His wife bore the maiden name of Webster. The Judge's father was a farmer by occupation and always adhered to the Society of Friends. He died in Salem, Ohio, at the age of seventy years. Of his seven children the Judge.is the only one living, and he was fifth in order of birth. His brother, Ogden Street, entered the Union army during the Civil war as captain of Company C, Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out as colonel of his regiment.   He engaed in the manufacture of iron in different parts of Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky, and died at Dayton, Ohio. During his boyhood and youth Judge Street attended the public and high schools of Salem, and completed his literary studies at Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio.  He commenced reading law under the direction of Thomas Kennett, and was admitted to the bar at St. Clairsville, Ohio, in  1871.    For two years he was engaged in practice at Letonia, that state, and then  removed to  Pittsburg,  Pa.,  where he prosecuted his chosen profession until coming to Arizona in November, 1877. He first located at Prescott, but soon afterward removed to Signal, Mohave county, and later spent one year at Tucson.  In 1879 he took up his residence in Tombstone, Cochise county, and while there served as county judge one term.   In January, 1887, he came to Phoenix, where he was first engaged in practice as a member of the firm of Goodrich & Street, and later as a member of the firm of Street & Frazier, which partnership continued until his appointment as chief justice in October, 1897. His district comprises the counties of Maricopa and Yuma. He is winning high commendation by his fair and impartial administration of justice, and is credited with being the most popular official that ever presided over the district.

At Yellow Springs, Ohio, Judge Street married Miss Mary Gilmore, a native of that place and a daughter of William and Mary E. Gilmore. Her father was a merchant of Yellow Springs. Two children were born of this union: Lawrence, now deputy district clerk; and Julia, wife of J. C. Wickham of Philadelphia, Pa. The family is one of prominence in Phoenix.

The Judge was made a Mason at Salem. Ohio, and now holds membership in Arizona Lodge No. 2, and Arizona Chapter, R. A. M. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Maricopa Club. Religiously he is an Episcopalian. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and he has "served successively as secretary and chairman of the territorial committee. He is also ex-president of the Territorial Bar Association. His mind is analytical, logical and inductive. With a thorough and
more cohensive knowledge of the fundamental principles of law, he combines a familiarity with statutory law and a sober, clear judgment, which makes him not only a formidable adversary in legal combat, but has given him the distinction of being one of the ablest jurists of the territory.
Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources 1901 Chapman Publishing

JUDGE JAMES M. SANFORD.

The settings which necessarily go hand in hand with the narrative of the life of Judge James Monroe Sanford are prolific of historical and romantic suggestions, which range in their extent and variety from the very early settlers along the New England coast, through the once peaceful shades of Arcadia, immortalized by Longfellow, into the realms of the horror-laden days of witchcraft. More modern but yet more interesting are the journeys of the present-day Sanfords. their associations with the awakening of the different parts of America from the primeval sleep, that had only been lightly disturbed by the tread of the fleet-footed Indian and the tramp of the buffalo herds. Of the daring men who penetrated the wilds of Arizona in the beginning of the '60s, few remain to tell the tale of their conflict with the dangerous and law-ignoring element, and their subsequent conquering of the same.

Arriving here in the winter of 1861-62 from Sacramento, Cal., Judge Sanford is the oldest resident of Arizona north of the Gila river and east of Fort Mohave. The family is of English descent and was first represented in America by three brothers, one of whom settled in South Stonington, Conn., another in Virginia, and the third settled in Illinois while it was yet a territory. The original name was Sandford, but as the brothers sailed for this country the purser of the vessel inadvertently changed the name to Sanford, and as such it has since continued. Judge Sanford is descended from the Stonington branch, the members of which were prominent in the early history of Connecticut, and from which also comes William Sanford of California.

On the maternal side there is the old Puritan stock of Salem, Mass., with their strange and unyielding austerity, and their cherished belief in witchcraft. In fact, up to the time of Judge Sanford's mother, who bore the maiden name of Sarah Wooliver and was a daughter of Caleb Wooliver, there still remained a lurking belief in the horrible prevalence of human witches. The Wooliver family originated in Germany. Caleb Wooliver was born in the Dutch colony of Halifax, Nova Scotia, was reared in the Dutch colony of Albany, N. Y., and enlisted in the Revolutionary war, but before the close of hostilities was taken back to Halifax as a prisoner of war. Subsequently he settled in Nova Scotia and married a Miss Hunt. Judge Sanford's father, James Sanford, was born in New Brunswick, and spent his life in the regions around the bay of Fundy.

James Monroe Sanford was born in Nova Scotia November 21, 1821, and was educated in the town of Douglas. From a long line of ancestors similarly gifted he inherited a genius for the mechanical side of things, which was early developed and turned to practical account. In 1844, at the age of twenty-three, he was seriously handicapped by uncertain health, and, having expended several hundred dollars on doctors without any help, he was finally fortunate in falling under the successful treatment of Dr. Shutliff, of Brooklyn. In accordance with the doctor's suggestion he traveled extensively through Canada and the northeast states, and was greatly benefited. In 1847 he went to St. Louis, and was employed on a contract for the construction of the officers' quarters at Fort Jefferson. In 1849, with a large train of emigrants bound for California and the gold fields, he started overland from Cooper's Ferry. Upon locating in Sacramento he engaged in building and contracting, and in placer mining at Weaverville. He was identified with the early history of Sacramento and got out some of the timber for the first buildings in the town. In 1850 he went to Yuba and located some claims at Long Bar, from which he took out $1,200 in a few weeks. After six months of successful work there, he went to Doneville, on the Yuba, at Little Rich Bar, where he located claims that enabled him to leave the district with a fair supply of gold dust, of which he had enough to make him quite weary before he reached his journey's end. He made the trip on horseback. A Mr. Zumwalt, who made the same trip, had his mule loaded exclusively with gold dust. In search of a desirable location Judge Sanford purchased teams at Marysville, and traveled over the Sacramento bottom, settling in 1851 upon a farm in what is called the Sutter Pocket. Three hundred and sixty acres were entered, on which he began to farm and raise fruit, remaining there for eleven years, when the property was disposed of for $5,500.

A change of location was effected in 1861, when, during the latter part of the winter, Judge Sanford settled in Needles, on the Arizona side, and, in partnership with John Brown, of San Bernardino, built the first ferry-boat on the Colorado river, at Fort Mohave. A subsequent undertaking was the management of a farm on Cottonwood Island in the Colorado river, but he objected to the Pinte Indians gathering his crops, and removed down on the Verde in Yavapai county. There he helped to establish a settlement near the famous Camp Verde military post. He had zealousry petitioned General Wright, of San Francisco, to send troops for the protection of the settlers in the Colorado valley, but they did not arrive until he had located on the Verde.  In this district he again took up farming, but again the Indians molested to such an extent that the settlement was broken up. After the Indians had ruined his prospects there, he settled in Prescott, then but little more than a town site. Here he started the first saw mill and turned out lumber for the erection of the buildings. Incidentally he had a little ranch on the Granite creek and engaged in horticulture, but the frost proved a formidable rival, and destroyed the fruit. For twenty-four years he remained in Prescott, and during that time han-dled immense quantities of lumber, and for ten years had the monopoly of making chimneys, his mechanical skill contriving many excellent devices for improving draft and disposing of smoke. In Prescott also he attained consider-able popularity as a nurse, for which he was well prepared by reason of his extended expe-rience in nursing the soldiers returned from the Mexican war. Many times in the west he was called upon to officiate in severe cases, especially where amputation of a limb was necessary and good treatment essential. In 1881, when the Santa Fe Railroad was being constructed from Albuquerque to Needles, he was engaged at dif-ferent camps along the route in furnishing lum-ber for the camps.

In the fall of 1862 Judge Sanford left Fort Mohave in company with twelve others on a mining expedition, the Indians having told them of a rich find. On the fourth day out the Indians began to surround them and act in a menacing manner, and Judge Sanford, with one other comrade, thought discretion the better part of valor, and hastily beat a retreat. Of the ten who continued to chase the gold phantom of the Indians' brains only two returned, the others having fallen victims of the savages. In 1884 Judge Sanford located a ranch near Williams and invested $2,000 in cattle, also bought a good brood of mares, and proceeded to raise cattle and horses. For eight years he was successfully engaged in this enterprise, and then, concluding that advancing years were a hindrance to life in the saddle, he sold out his business. In 1882 he was appointed justice of the peace and was afterward re-elected or appointed six different times, serving in all fourteen years. This position has afforded an excellent opportunity for ridding the locality of undesirable personages, especially horse thieves and marauders. Under the regime of Judge Sanford they have been induced either to give up their unlawful methods of doing business, or transfer them to other and less quiet districts.

Judge Sanford owes his election to the independence of the people, for he claims allegiance to no particular party. He is a socialist in the broadest sense of the word, and believes in the right of every individual to hold all that he earns in this world. While pursuing a busy and tire-less career he has accumulated a large property, owning in all twenty-eight and one-half lots in Williams, besides many buildings, and formerly had ninety-three lots and many buildings in Prescott. Strange to say, this earnest pioneer has had no sharer of his fortunes, for he has never married.
Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources 1901 Chapman Publishing

JUDGE WILLIAM G. BLAKELY.

The active life of this highly respected citizen of Kingman has been mainly passed in the west. It may be truly said that wherever he has dwelt the community has been made better, for he has ever sought to benefit his fellowmen, and has not been actuated alone by a desire for material prosperity. In the record of his long and useful life there are many lessons to be gleaned and an example is presented well worthy of the emulation of the young.

Born in Delaware county, N. Y., in 1829. William G. Blakely was reared on a farm and attended the district school at Kortright, the village academy at Delhi, and later was graduated from the State Normal School at Delhi, after which he taught school two years. With the high principles of honor inherited from his Scotch ancestors he desired to assist in the education of his brothers and sisters and to aid his parents financially, and was therefore in a mood to seek the gold fields of California when the excitement of 1849 prevailed throughout the country. His commendable ambitions were happily realized, as. after passing four years in California, he returned home and paid off the mortgage on his father's farm. He then began the study of law in the office of Amasa and Amasa J. Parker at Delhi. On completing his studies he returned to the Pacific slope, where he followed his profession and also devoted much attention to mining.

While residing near Sonora, Cal., in 1858, he discovered the Eureka mine, where he built and for two years operated a quartz mill. In 1861 he removed to Carson City. Nev.. and having previously pursued a thorough theological course and been licensed as a local preacher by the California Methodist Episcopal conference he proceeded to labor in the Nevada field, visiting all parts of the territory and arousing great interest and religious activity in many localities. In 1861 Governor Nye appointed him superintendent of public instruction for Nevada, and during his term he accomplished a great deal for the cause of education. After establishing his home in Austin, Nev., he erected one of the handsomest Methodist Episcopal churches in the territory and for a long time officiated as its pastor. Besides his work as pastor he continued to mine extensively and also built a large quartz mill in Smoky valley for the purpose of treating ore derived from the Mother Vein mine. In 1868 he settled in Pioche, Nev., where he continued in mining and ministerial work.

In 1872 he came to Arizona and until the county seat was changed to Kingman lived at Cerbat and Mineral Park, and there located and developed a number of mines, also practiced law. Elected judge of the county court, he held that important office until it was abolished by act of legislature.   Then Governor Zulick appointed him probate judge and ex-officio superintendent of schools. In 1886 he was elected district attorney for Mohave county and soon afterward was appointed United States commissioner, which position he occupied about fourteen years. On the Republican ticket, in a strongly Democratic county, he was twice elected district attorney, filling: the office from November, 1886, until 1901. His private practice is extensive and representative, as he is the attorney for the Santa Fe at this point, also legal adviser for the White Hills Mining and Milling Company, and resident agent and attorney for a large share of the leading mining and business companies and corporations in Mohave county.

As in the past. Judge Blakely is an important factor in the advancement of the cause of Christianity in his community.  At Kingman he built the only Methodist Episcopal church that has been erected in the county and most of the time since he has occupied its pulpit. As a local preacher in the Arizona Mission conference, and a great worker in the Kingman circuit, in which are situated Chloride and numerous thriving mining towns, he certainly is a power for good. He is a member of the Good Templars and a stanch temperance worker. Fraternally he is connected with the Odd Fellows, Masons and Knights of Pythias, besides various social organizations.

At Kortright, N. Y., September 5,1853, Judge Blakely married Susan Elizabeth Wilson, youngest daughter of Rev. Samuel Wilson of that town, and who, during his entire active life, was a minister of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Blakely's death occurred in Kingman August 20, 1899. Of her marriage were born fcur sons and two daughters, of whom three sons survive, all being interested with their father in mining. They are named as follows: Ross H., clerk of the district court for the fourth judicial district; Lew, editor of the Arizona Arrow, published at Kingman, and John E., who is engaged in mining in the Aubrey and Owens districts. The sons are regarded as among the representative younger men of Mo-have county.
Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources 1901 Chapman Publishing

PROF. SAMUEL M. McCOWAN.

To those who believe that the passing of the Indian is a well nigh accomplished fact, and that henceforward his picturesqueness wilt live only upon the canvas of the artist, in the tale of Hiawatha, the stones of Cooper, and the romance of Ramona, and that the warmth and color and action which have characterized his wanderings upon the western plains are fast receding into the shadows of the happy hunting ground, a merciful retreat from the world of intellectuality and accomplishment in which he is supposed to be unable to take a part, to such, the scope and humanitarian ism of the work accomplished by Professor McCowan, superintendent of the Indian school at Phoenix, will come as a revelation. For out of the years of striving of himself and those who think with him, toward the development of those attributes in the Indian which constitute good citizenship and broad life, has come a rejuvenated red, man, who looks out upon the world with the heart, and brain, and attainment, in many ways the equal of the supplanting pale brotherhood.

Of Scotch-English descent. Professor McCowan was born in Ontario, Canada, February 8, 1863, and is a son of Robert O. and Hannah (Blake) McCowan. When two years of age he was taken by his parents to New York state, and, after the expiration of two years, to Peoria county, Ill., where he grew to man's estate. At the early age of nine years he was introduced, through the death of his father, to the serious and responsible side of life, and was forced to face the problem of self-support. After being employed for a time as a chore boy on a farm, he began when eleven years of age to work in the coal mines of Peoria county, III. This gloomy and uninspiring occupation was continued until his eighteenth year, and, in the mean time, the sturdy and persevering traits, of character which have since spanned the distance from the coal mines to a position in the front ranks of the country's educators, began to peer through the dismal surroundings, and to reach out in an overwhelming desire for knowledge. After leaving the mines Mr. McCowan studied at the Elmwood high school in Peoria county, and in 1886 was graduated from the Indiana Normal school, at Valparaiso, Ind. Subsequently, he served for two years as principal of the academy at Princeville, Ill., and for the same length of time was principal of the Lincoln high school, at Peoria. Later, as a journalistic venture, he assumed the editorship of the Saturday Evening Call, a weekly periodical published in Peoria, and which has since been discontinued.

Mr. McCowan's association with the Indians began in 1889, when, for a year, he was superintendent of the day schools on the Rosebud reservation in South Dakota. In 1890 he-was offered the choice of the superintendency of three different Indian schools, but availed himself of the request of the commissioner of Indian affairs that he open a new Indian school at Mohave, Ariz. During the six years of his devotion to the interests of the school at Mohave, his salary was twice raised, and at the expiration of the time of service he was promoted to the superintendency of the Indian school at Albuquerque, N. M. At the end of six months he received a still further mark of appreciation, being appointed supervisor of all the Indian schools in the United States. This responsible position he later resigned in order to take charge of the Indian Industrial School at Phoenix, with which he has been associated since 1897. In the interval of his residence in Phoenix he has been offered the inspectorship of the Indian schools of the United States, but has given the matter little consideration, believing that his wisest and best opportunity lay in connection with the institution of whch he is the ruling power.

During his student life, and later in connection with his educational work in Illinois and Indiana, Mr. McCowan devoted all possible available time to a mastery of the science of law, and in 1894 he was admitted to practice at the bar of Arizona. In July, 1885, he married Emma Beecher, a daughter of A. H. Beecher, of Hanna City, Ill., and of this union there is one son, Leroy M. Mrs. McCowan is a relative of the famous Henry Ward Beecher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, and she is also related to General Rosecrans. As a member of the Republican party Mr. McCowan has been identified with many political undertakings, and while living in Mohave county, Ariz., was elected a delegate to the territorial constitutional convention. At present he is serving on the governor's staff with the rank of colonel. He is variously associated with the commercial, fraternal, and social organizations which abound in Phoenix and vi-cinity, and is one of the organizers, and the present vice-president of the Home Savings Bank & Trust Company of Phoenix. He is a Knight of Pythias, a member of the board of trade, and president of the Illinois Association of the Salt River valley. November 16, 1900, he became managing editor of the Arizona Republican.

The Phoenix Indian school with which Mr. McCowan is connected is the second in size in the United States. During the year 1899 nearly seven hundred students attended the school, representing more than fifty different tribes, and coming from all over the Pacific coast. The building is a model of its kind, and in addition to the other modern improvements is lighted throughout with electricity. The literary course at the school extends from the kindergarten to the high school course, and each child is obliged, during his residence at the school, to adopt and complete a trade. The kind of occupation may be of his own selecting, and he has the choice of cabinet-work, carpentry, blacksmithing, wagon-making, painting, brick-making and laying, plastering, harness and shoe-making, gardening, horticulture, agriculture, dairying, cooking, dressmaking, and housekeeping. .It is doubtful if anyone now living, or in the past, has brought to bear upon Indian development the profound study which has enabled Professor McCowan so readily to understand and minister to the special requirements of the redskins. He believes in the old saying that the ''Indian nature is human nature bound in red," and to quote his own words, the Indian is "likable and teachable, docile and obedient, apt and easily led." His impression of a few of the tribes is summed up in the words "The Hopis are the nicest, most docile and most obedient Indians, and the smallest; while the Apache, Mojave and Papa go are splendidly equipped physically, but inclined toward waywardness and obstinacy, and uneasy under control." Professor McCowan believes that there is no height to which the Indian may not attain, and under his own observation they have become scientific farmers, representatives in congress, soldiers in the army, and have excelled in the professions of law and medicine. They have also made names for themselves as artists and musicians. The girls develop into excellent trained nurses and cooks, and some are successful as teachers. From the standpoint of this noble student of Indian characteristics the future of the red man holds alluring possibilities and far from being the victims of a surviving fitness, they may, under favorable circumstances, compete with the peoples who have enjoyed centuries of civilization.

Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources 1901 Chapman Publishing



William Barlo Stephens
1861-1928
William Barlo
        Stephens
William Stephens was born in Alma. Arkansas, on June 5. 1861. In 1874, at the age of 18, he ran away from home and managed to talk California-bound wagon train into taking him along on the overland trip.
The destination of the wagon train was Visalia. California, and on arriving there young William secured work on various cattle ranches where within a few years, he saved enough money to send for his mother and a niece.
In the early 1880's William came to Arizona and worked on cattle ranches in the vicinity of Walnut Creek.
In 1883 he went to Kansas City with what was said to be the first rail shipment of cattle from northern Arizona.
Then for a time he worked for Monte Pemberthy at the American Flag mine where he met Annie Pemberthy, to whom he was married on January 10, 1889.
His next venture was a butcher shop in Mineral City, which was then the Mohave county seat. Later the shop was moved to Kingman and in December 1893 he acquired land on the Big Sandy and started the cattle ranch near Wikieup that is still operated by sons Dick and Ray.
At one time Stephens ran as many as 5,000 head in the back-to-back E C brand, which is still owned by Dick and Ray.
It was a five day wagon trip to Kingman, where supplies were bought three or four times a year. Gardens, chickens, and cows supplied most of the food. No one ever passed by the Stephens ranch without being asked to stop and eat.
In those early days Mrs. Stephens often took in three or four children of distant neighbors, free of charge, in order to keep a school going.
William Stephens died on September 29. 1929 and his wife followed him on July 15. 1948.
The surviving children are Dick and Hay. who operate the old ranch; Lee who has a large gas station and garage at Kingman, and Ida. (Mrs. Lane Cornwall), of Wenden.
Source: Pioneer and Well-Known Cattle Men Of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson

George Taplan Cuncan
George Taplan Duncan
1869-1944
George Taplan Duncan, better known as "Tap" Duncan to his friends in Kingman and Mohave County, was born in San Saba, Texas, February 4, 1869. And like most Texans of those days, he was at home in the saddle when he was still quite young.
When he was 16 years old. Tap left Texas with a trail herd into New Mexico. But he was soon back in his home state where he  spent the next few years cowboying for various outfits.
In 1891, at the age of 22. he married Ollie Ann Bimmon of Uvalde.
The following year, he and his family moved to Idaho where he became wagon boss for the Sparks and Harold Shoe Sole outfit. When he took that job — he related in later years — all be possessed was a wife and baby — and twenty dollars.
But he capitalized on his opportunity and soon built up a brand of his own. The cold Idaho winters weren't to his likings, though, so he sold out in 1898 and headed with his wife and four children for Arizona. On that trip, Ollie drove the wagon and Tap herded a bunch of saddle horses.
Arriving at Bonelli's Ferry on the Colorado, Tap had misgivings about his move. The passage appeared so dangerous that he feared his wife and children might drown. He blamed himself for taking the route and ruefully remarked to his wife. "I guess the only reason a cowpuncher has a head is to keep his spine from unravelling."
However. Tap used his head to good advantage, and the crossing was safely made. Not long afterwards, they arrived in Hackberry where he bought the "Hookedy H" brand and Jack Harden's ranch on Knight Creek. By 1910 he had built up his ranch to a point where he was able to buy the Walter Starkey Diamond Bar outfit, northwest of Kingman, on which he ran around 2,000 head of cattle. This venture prospered, too. and he was able to acquire several other ranches in later years.
His holdings were still large when he was run over and killed by an automobile in Kingman on November 19, 1944.
His wife died some four years later, and the Diamond Bar was sold to Handerly of San Francisco, who still owns it. Only two of their children are still living — Mrs. James Ray of Kingman, and Byron Duncan, a cattleman at Imlay. Nevada. One of Byron's proudest possessions, incidentally, is the old, heavy, Sharp's rifle which was given to his father as part of his gear on his early trail herd ride from San Saba to New Mexico.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2

George W. Miller   
1867-1952

George W. Miller was born in Washoe City, Nevada, on Aug. 02,1867, shortly after his birth, the family moved to Hollister, California, where George’s father and a partner made the well known Chapo saddle trees for a number of years.
In 1886, his father came to Arizona and established a cow ranch in the Crozier Canyon Country, 50 miles east of Kingman, where for a time, he also made saddles.
The family joined him a year later, and George worked with his father, learning the cattle business and developing the ranch and range. Both he and his father improved the ranch with fruit trees, grapes, berries and vegetables until it became known as one of the most attractive places in western Arizona. One of George’s favorite trees was a Maiden blush apple, which, although planted in the 1880’s, still bears around a ton of fruit in good seasons.
The Miller brand JAL, connected, but because of the original locator of the ranch in the Indiana days painted the words, “Look Out” in large letters on the canyon walls, the place has been called the Look Out Ranch ever since. It’s said that the Hualapais killed a number of travelers in this canyon during the early days.
George Miller died at his ranch on Dec. 30, 1952, at the age of 85. It’s claimed that he lived on the same ranch for a longer period , 65 years, than any other cowman in Mohave County.
His widow, Isabella, now lives with a married daughter, Mrs. Ida Tingstrom, in Kingman. Another daughter Mrs. Agnes Deemer, lives in Phoenix . The oldest son, George Jr., lives in Farmington, N.M, Another son, Ellis, lives in Seligman, While Ira (Tiny) now operates the old Look Out Ranch
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2

Olive Oatman
(1837-1903)

Olive Oatman (1837-1903) was a woman from Illinois who was famously abducted by a Native American tribe (likely the Yavapai people), then sold to another (the Mohave people). She ultimately regained her freedom five years later. The story resonated in the media, partly owing to the prominent blue tattooing of Oatman's face by her captors. In subsequent years, the tale of Olive Oatman came to be retold with dramatic license in novels, plays, and poetry.
Abduction Born into the family of Royce and Mary Ann Oatman, Olive was one of ten siblings. She grew up in the Mormon faith.
     In 1850 the Oatman family joined a wagon train led by James C. Brewster, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), whose attacks on, and disagreements with, the church leadership in Salt Lake City, Utah, had caused him to break with the followers of Brigham Young in Utah and lead his followers — Brewsterites — to California, which he claimed was the "intended place of gathering" for the Mormons.
 The Brewsterite emigrants, numbering 52, left Independence, Missouri, August 9, 1850. Dissension caused the group to split near Santa Fe, with Brewster following the northern route. Royce Oatman and several other families chose the southern route via Socorro, Santa Cruz, and Tucson. Near Socorro, Royce assumed command of the party. They reached New Mexico early in 1851 only to find the country and climate wholly unsuited to their purpose. The other wagons gradually abandoned the goal of reaching the mouth of the Colorado. The party had reached Maricopa Wells when they were told that the Indians ahead were very bad and that they would risk their lives if they proceeded further. The other families resolved to stay. The Oatman family, eventually traveling alone, was decimated on the banks of the Gila River about 80–90 miles east of Yuma in what is now Arizona.
     Royce and Mary had seven children at this time, ranging in age from 16 to one year. On their fourth day out, they were approached by a group of Indians, asking for tobacco, food and trifles. At some point during the encounter, the Oatman family was attacked by the group, and all were killed except Lorenzo, age 15, who was clubbed and left for dead; Olive, age 13; and Mary Ann, age 7. Lorenzo awoke to find his parents and family dead, but no sign of Mary Ann and Olive. He eventually reached a settlement where he was treated. Three days later, Lorenzo, who had rejoined the emigrant train, found the bodies of his slain family; "we buried the bodies of father, mother and babe in one common grave." (The Tucson Citizen, September 26, 1913) The men had no way of digging proper graves in the volcanic rocky soil, so they gathered the bodies together and formed a cairn over them. It has been said the remains were reburied several times and finally moved to the river for reinterment by Arizona pioneer Charles Poston. Captivity Olive  and Mary Oatman, Captivity of the Oatman Girls, 1857 Once the attack was complete, the Indians took some of the Oatmans' belongings along with the Oatman girls. The captors were either Tolkepayas or Western Yavapais living in a village nearly 100 miles from the site of her parents' death. After arrival, the girls at first were treated in a way that appeared threatening, and Olive later said she thought she would be killed. Eventually, the girls were used to forage for food, lug water and firewood, and other menial tasks. Miscommunication resulted in beatings.
     After a year, a group of Mohave Indians visited the village and traded two horses, vegetables and blankets for the captive girls, after which the girls went on a 10-day journey to the Colorado River and the Mohave village. They arrived into what today is Needles, California. Once there, their cavalry stopped for some time, as they were taken in by the family of Chief Espanesay. This tribe was more prosperous than the girls' prior holders, and the chief's wife and daughter took an interest in the Oatman girls' welfare. The girls were given plots of land to farm and were both tattooed on their chins and arms in keeping with the tribal custom.
     About a year later, during a drought in the region, the tribe experienced a shortage of food supplies and Mary Ann died of starvation, at the age of 10.
     When Olive Oatman was 16 years old, a Yuma Indian messenger arrived at the village with a message from the authorities at Fort Yuma. Rumors suggested that a white girl was being held captive by the Mohaves and the post commander requested her return. Blankets and horses were sent for trade, but the Indians initially resisted the terms.
    Later life In the end it was decided to take the trade items, and Olive was escorted to Fort Yuma in a 20-day journey. Before entering the fort, Olive insisted she be given proper clothing, as she was clad in nothing more than a grass skirt made of bark. Inside the fort, Olive was surrounded by cheering people. She soon discovered her brother Lorenzo was alive and had been looking for her and her sister. Their meeting made headline news across the West.
     In 1857, a pastor named Royal B. Stratton wrote a book about Olive and Mary Ann. The book sold 30,000 copies, a best-seller for that era. In November, 1865, Olive married John B. Fairchild. Though it was rumored that she died in an asylum in New York in 1877, she actually went to live with Fairchild in Sherman, Texas, where they adopted a baby girl, Mamie.
     Rumors of Olive Oatman being raped by the Yavapai were denied vehemently, leading her to declare in Stratton's book that "to the honor of these savages let it be said, they never offered the least unchaste abuse to me".
 In 1981, a writer named Richard Dillon reported in a famous western magazine that there was evidence that Olive had told a friend that she was married to the son of the Mojave chief and that she gave birth to two boys when married to him. This account was never verified.
 Olive Oatman Fairchild died of a heart attack on March 21, 1903, at the age of 65. The town of Oatman, Arizona, is named in her honor.




Metcalfe
CHARLES METCALFE
Superintendent of the Public Schools of Mohave County, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1855. His father, Henry Metcalfe, served in the Mexican War, was afterward captain of a steamboat on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, and died in 1855. His mother, whose maiden name was Agnes Purvis, of Scotch descent, is well and active, though seventy-five years of age. She makes her home in Ohio. When but a child Charles went to Missouri, where he saw many of the stirring events of the Civil War ; at twenty-one he went to the lead mining regions of Southwest Missouri, was one of the first settlers of Webb City, and when it was incorporated was the first City Treasurer. Pushing further west, he went to Harper County, Kansas, and was publishing a newspaper at Anthony when the county was organized. In 1880 he followed the Santa Fe Railroad into New Mexico, where he removed for eleven years, engaged in mining and newspaper work. He was married in Las Cruces in 1885, and has three children, two girls and a boy, now grown. His next move was to the Pacific coast, where he spent five years between Los Angeles and Puget Sound, but the magnet of the great Southwest brought him to Arizona seventeen years ago, and he located in Kingman, which has since been his home. He platted Metcalfe's Addition to the city, which is now a part of Kingman. Under Territorial government Mr. Metcalfe was elected and served as Probate Judge of Mohave County, and at the first State election was chosen to his present position. He is a member of the Masonic order, and Past Exalted Ruler of Kingman Lodge of Elks. He is the principal owner of the Great Eastern group of mines. While Mr. Metcalfe can hardly be reckoned among Arizona's pioneers, he is endowed with the true pioneer's instincts, broadened and developed in his various experiences in the several States of which he has been a pioneer, and with every faith in the future of the State which he has chosen for his permanent residence, has taken as a homestead a splendid tract of land in the beautiful Wallapai Valley, three miles from Kingman.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

CHARLES METCALFE
A park in Kingman was named' Metcalfe Park' for a well known pioneer Charles Metcalfe. The park is located next to the County Courthouse Annex. The land for the park was donated by Metcalfe, according to his daughter, Merla Metcalfe Pool.

Charles Metcalfe was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1855, where he received his early education. He moved to Missouri, then moved to Las Cruces, New Mexico, where he met and married Sadie Bowman in 1885. From there, they moved to l.os Angeles, California.

Metcalfe, interested in mining, left his family with his wife's parents, and took in 1895 a prospecting trip, and in the fall of the same year he arrived in Kingman. Metcalfe liked Kingman as a very small town. He started to look for and obtained a job with Kean SI. Charles, publisher of the paper, 'Our Mineral Wealth'. In addition, Metcalfe kept books for Gaddis & Perry, Mercantile Company. He decided to bring his family to Kingman. His wife and four children arrived in Kingman by train in the spring of 1896.

Charles Metcalfe was earning about $2.50 a day, but he was able to buy a parcel of land between 1st, Spring and Oak Streets in 1897. On this land stood a small house, windmill and a few fruit trees. The land was only a couple blocks from the town's center, but there were no streets, only paths through the greasewood.

Metcalfe and his wife were interested in music, he played on the violin, and she on the guitar. They both loved to produce and act in the local plays. In those days, the Kingman theatre was located above Bowers store on the corner of the 4th and Front Streets. The theatre patrons had to climb an iron staircase on the side of the 4th Street. During that period of time, Metcalfe located a mine in the Hualapai Mountains, and each year the whole family made a trip to it for the claim assessment work.

After the turn of the century, Metcalfe started to run for political offices, and was elected probate judge, later superintendent of the county schools, and still later, he was appointed postmaster. In those years, Metcalfe began purchasing land such as the tract just west of the 1st and north of Spring Streets. As a start, he sold a few acre parcels, then opened his first subdivision, called 'Metcalfe Addition'. He drew up his own maps and prepared his own deed papers. The tract contained about 210 lots. It was necessary for Metcalfe to install his own water system. In cases when a buyer was willing to build the house immediate-Iya lot was sold as low as $25.00. Metcalfe constructed seven small houses to promote the sale of lots.

It took a few years to sell all the lots, but Metcalfe did not stop his land development. He purchased the entire west half of section 23. Although it was next to the town's dump and some Indians had their camp near there I it was located a dozen of blocks from the town's center, and the main road over Coyote Hill ran through it.

Again, Metcalfe started to sell large parcels of land first, but eventually the Boulder Dam Addition, Hollywood Addition and West Kingman Addition were developed by Metcalfe. His second subdivision, 'Metcalfe Acres' , was quite a successful development because Highway 93 crossed it.

Charles Metcalfe was getting along in years, however, and at the age of 75, he filed homestead application. The land was next to the tract he already owned. When the final approval on this 320 acre homestead came to him at the age of 78, Metcalfe felt like a 'land baron'. On this homestead, Metcalfe started with a small house which became his residence.

Toward the end of his life, Charles Metcalfe lived with his married son, Don, in San Francisco, where he passed away in February 1943 about one month before his 88th birthday. (The information about Charles Metcalfe came from his son Don, who in 1973 resided in Portland, Oregon.)

CARL G. KROOK,
Judge of the Superior Court of Mohave County, is an example of the self-made man, and has had an interesting career. Born in Minnesota, August 18, 1870, of Swedish parents, who were pioneers of that State, he was reared in a German community, learned the language thoroughly, and has found its use of great benefit in his work both as lawyer and Judge. His father, Carl W. A. Krook, was for some years a builder and contractor, and later a merchant in Minnesota, and his son had the benefit of experience in construction work, which stood him in good stead in helping to build up a new State. After having completed the public school course he matriculated in two colleges, one a German, and the other a Swedish institution, each of which he attended two years, after which, in 1892, he entered an attorney's office. There he spent three years perfecting himself in the rudiments of law from the standpoint of actual experience, then went to England, where he entered the Inns of Court Law School and took a one-year course in old English law. Returning to his home, he took the law course in the University of Minnesota, from which he was graduated in 1899 with an LL. B. degree. The same year he was admitted to practice, opened up a law office in Minneapolis immediately thereafter, and to more thoroughly prepare himself for his chosen work that year also found him taking a post graduate course, from which he was graduated in 1900 with the degree of LL. M. After four years' practice in Minnesota he came to Arizona, where he soon became interested in mines. Seeing the great possibilities in mining law, he spent several years in prospecting and mining and with his brother purchased a mine in Mohave County, on which they spent a large sum trying to place it among the paying producers. While thus employed, the young attorney was nominated for the Legislature and elected to the 24th Session, in which he was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He was an active worker in behalf of reform measures and those laws which tend to the improvement of the social and industrial life of the State. He championed the bill to raise the standard of the legal profession by more exacting examinations for admission to practice, and worked hard in the interest of the Act for Correction of General Practice. Judge Krook was a worker and not a talker, and his influence during this session accomplished much that was beneficial in legislation for his County, especially in behalf of the Good Roads Bill and the Bill segregating the office of Assessor from that of Sheriff in fourth and fifth class counties. At the conclusion of the session he again donned the miner's jumper, and for six months worked in the copper mines at Bisbee, thereby gaining a general knowledge of the works of large mines. On returning to general practice, he was a candidate for the nomination for County Attorney in Mohave, but was defeated. Two years later, however, he was nominated and elected to his present position, and the excellent training he has received has been an invaluable aid to him in this capacity. Judge Krook is a member of the Elks Lodge, and is actively interested in all movements tending toward improved conditions of town, county or state.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

JOHN ELLIS,
Representative from Mohave County, has been a resident of that county for almost a quarter of a century, during which time he has been actively interested in mining, farming and cattle raising. Mr. Ellis is now one of the most prominent and enterprising business men of the county, as well as one of its pioneer residents who has been earnestly working for its development. He was born in Knox County, Missouri, October 4, 1849, where his father, Peter Ellis, was one of the pioneer settlers. When but eighteen years of age he crossed the plains by wagon and located at Fort Churchill, Nevada, and for many years made his home in that new country. At Whitehill, Arizona, he served a four years' term as Deputy Sheriff, and also a term of four years as Constable at the same place. As representative of a county of vast mining interests, and a man of broad experience in this industry, Mr. Ellis is now serving as Chairman of the Committee on Mines and Mining. He is also member of the Suffrage and Elections, Militia and Public Defense, and Petitions and Memorials Committees.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

Lovin

HENRY LOVIN,
Senator from Mohave County, is a Southerner by birth, having been born in North Carolina, but a through and through Arizonan, and one of the men who came West with meager assets and made good. Politically, as well as otherwise, he is today one of the State's most solid citizens. He has never been defeated at the polls, and in his various other undertakings he has met with like success. It was Mr. Lovin who grub-staked the man who discovered the Gold Roads mine, and if for no other reason than this, his name in Arizona's history would be made memorable, as the Gold Road has made a marvelous record as a producer of gold, and has done much toward giving Arizona a place in the records of gold-producing sections. Its output, already amounting to millions of dollars, has attracted attention from the entire world. Senator Lovin sold his interest to the present owners of the mine, who have extensively developed it, and have been the means of bringing many valuable citizens to that vicinity. Mr. Lovin has twice been elected Sheriff of Mohave, his majority at the second election having greatly exceeded that received at the first. He was also a member of the Constitutional Convention, and his popularity as Mohave's representative citizen could not be disputed after the handsome majority accorded him in his candidacy for member of the First State Senate, as he received twice as many votes as were polled for two opponents. Mr. Lovin knows the people he represents, and their needs, enjoys their confidence and esteem, and he is especially interested in the welfare of the working people, and familiarly known as "Friend of the Miner." He has, in fact, helped many a man at a critical point, and thus enabled him to attain success, has financed some of the greatest projects in the State, and by his aid has made it possible for some of the great mines of Mohave, the gold-producing county of the north, to be developed. Senator Lovin is head of a large mercantile establishment, and largely interested in a number of other enterprises, among them a freighting business by which he makes it possible for residents of the section to get their supplies and machinery moved at a reasonable figure. Like his colleague from Cochise, Senator C. M. Roberts, he is a large employer, and like him also, he owes his large majority to the work done in his behalf by former employes and people who have been otherwise associated with him in business. Chivalrous progressive, generous and enterprising Henry Lovin is today one of the foremost examples of the self-made Arizonan who has made Statehood possible. In the special session of the Legislature in 1913 Mr. Lovin was Chairman of the Committee on Municipal Corporations, and member of the following Committees: Constitutional Amendments and Referendum, Corporations, Mines and Mining, Printing and Clerks, and Suffrage and Elections progressive, generous and enterprising Henry Lovin is today one of the foremost examples of the self-made Arizonan who has made Statehood possible. In the special session of the Legislature in 1913 Mr. Lovin was Chairman of the Committee on Municipal Corporations, and member of the following Committees: Constitutional Amendments and Referendum, Corporations, Mines and Mining, Printing and Clerks, and Suffrage and Elections father, Peter Ellis, was one of the pioneer settlers. When but eighteen years of age he crossed the plains by wagon and located at Fort Churchill, Nevada, and for many years made his home in that new country. At Whitehill, Arizona, he served a four years' term as Deputy Sheriff, and also a term of four years as Constable at the same place. As representative of a county of vast mining interests, and a man of broad experience in this industry, Mr. Ellis is now serving as Chairman of the Committee on Mines and Mining. He is also member of the Suffrage and Elections, Militia and Public Defense, and Petitions and Memorials Committees.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

Henry Lovin came to Kingman in 1893 and was a true American success story: starting with nothing and making a success of his life through hard work. He formed the Lovin and Withers Mercantile in 1900, grubstaked a prospector who discovered one of the largest gold strikes in Mohave County and Arizona, started numerous businesses, operated a ranch, and served his community politically in numerous ways. A Democrat in politics, he was once a constable, twice-elected county sheriff, chosen to represent Mohave County in the Arizona constitutional convention, and was elected twice as the first state senator from the county. After that, he served as a county supervisor from 1925 until his death in 1931.

JOSEPH P. GIDEON
Sheriff of Mohave County, is one of the earliest pioneers of the state, having been in Arizona forty years. A large part of his time has been spent in the official life of the state, as he has served as sheriff a number of times, as well as holding other positions, and his record during that time was such that when he made the race for Sheriff he was elected by a pleasing majority. When he came to Arizona two score years ago he first landed in Mohave, and has practically made this his home since that time, although he has spent considerable time in Gila, Cochise, Pima, Yavapai and other southern counties. He has always been interested in mining. He was born in Mississippi in 1852, his parents being Lewis H. and Sarah M. Gideon. He takes pride in the civic development of the town and state, is interested in the fraternal life, being a member of the Elks Lodge, and has made many friends during the years he has spent in the State. As an officer he is fair, fearless and faithful to the interests of his constituents, and those who elected him have reason for congratulation because of the excellent manner in which he has conducted the affairs of the office.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

J. W. MORGAN,
County Recorder of Mohave, is one of the earliest pioneers of the State, and during his long residence here, as well as in Nevada and California, has been interested in the mineral wealth of the community in which he resided. A life-long Democrat, he has been a power in the party since he voted for Samuel J. Tilden, the first and only president for whom he cast a ballot until the recent election, as he has resided in the Territory of Arizona from that year. Mr. Morgan held numerous official positions, having been County Recorder and Clerk of the Board of Supervisors nearly a score of years ago. He also served as Deputy Sheriff, Deputy Recorder and Justice of the Peace during the Territorial days. He was born in San Francisco in 1854. His father Benjamin Morgan, was one of the forty-niners of California, an early prospector and miner, and afterward entered the mercantile business. His mother, formerly Miss Eliza Pritchard, was also a pioneer of that section. J. W. Morgan was educated in the public schools of California, graduated from the Lincoln Grammar School and afterward from Heald's Business College. This, together with a good business training, made him well fitted to hold the positions to which he has been elected. The records of the County of Mohave are said to be excelled by none in the State, and during the years in which Joseph W. Morgan has been connected with the office, are fully up to the standard. No man in the State has a wider acquaintance, nor is there a man more familiar with the early history of the Territory than Joseph Morgan, who lived in Globe, Phoenix, and other large towns of Arizona during the early days. He is a typical Arizona pioneer, having spent most of his life here, and he intends to remain here the rest of his days, his interests being in Mohave County. He is interested in the Cleopatra copper mine, in the Cerbat district, and also has a number of gold prospects in that district. He was employed as Assistant Superintendent of the Golden Gem for several years in the early days of the district, and later acquired some of the valuable property of the section. Mr. Morgan married Miss Marian L. Terry in 1894, and they have one son, Joseph Terry Morgan, at present a student in California. He is a member of the B. P. O. E. and a trustee of the order.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors


JOHN C. POTTS,
Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Mohave County, is a pioneer of Arizona, having been a resident of the State more than forty years. He was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and though now in his seventy-fifth year, is exceedingly active. With his parents, John W. and Elizabeth Coyle Potts, he moved to Iowa the year the State was admitted to the Union. It was then necessary to go 35 miles to the postoffice and there were no stage lines at the time in that vicinity. It is unnecessary to state that educational advantages were meager. At the beginning of the Civil War Mr. Potts was a resident of Nebraska and enlisted in the First Nebraska Cavalry, in which he served three years and three months, and when mustered out was Captain. In 1866 he was at Fort Phil Kearney, and left a month before the massacre, in which 93 lives were lost. He came to Arizona in 1869, having lived meantime, in addition to the States mentioned, in Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Dakota. He lived in Prescott before it became Territorial Capital, and after three years removed to Mohave County, which has since been his home. He has been actively identified with the official life of the County, having been a member of the Board of Supervisors in 1873, when the County Seat was at Hardyville, and there was no court house. He has also served as Deputy Sheriff and two terms as Sheriff. Mr. Potts has always been interested in the mining development of the State, and at present is interested in a number of properties in Mohave County, the most promising of which are the Thumb Butte Group, several miles north of the Gold Road Mine. He is a charter member of the first Knights of Pythias lodge organized in the state, No. 1 of Prescott. He takes much interest in the general welfare of the community, and has always been active in civic improvement. He is a member of the G. A. R. of Phoenix, is especially interested in the old soldiers of the State, and has been instrumental in securing stones for the graves of those who died in Mohave County. Mr. Potts' great ambition is to see a new court house erected during his present term, and if this aim be accomplished, he feels he will be ready to retire from official life.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

AMELIA LEICHT KEMPLE
Born in England, Amelia Leicht came to America as an 8-year-old during the Civil War with her siblings and widowed mother.  They traveled across country by covered wagon to Utah.  There she met and married John Kemple, a miner.  In 1896 the family moved to Mohave County, Arizona, first to White Hills and a year later to Chloride.  Amelia open-ed a boardinghouse, which she operated during and after her divorce and short remarriage.  In 1902 she opened the Chloride Restaurant, which she operated until moving to Goldroad.  By 1905 she was operating a boardinghouse in Oatman, which she sold a few years later when she moved back to Utah to help care for her aging mother.  Her youngest daughter and family lived in Kingman, and by 1919 Amelia moved in with them.  She remained there until relocating to California in 1931.  Amelia had true pioneer spirit:  In addition to delivering several of her own grandchildren, she was a fine cook and an accomplished seamstress.  She died in Utah in 1946 at age 90, was survived by five of her six children, and was the matriarch of five generations.
Submitted by Judy Rigdon

JOHN KEMPLE
John Kemple was full of adventure.  As a 13-year-old, he left his father’s home in West Virginia and traveled by himself across the U.S.  He ultimately settled in Utah and learned to be a miner.  In 1866 at what would later be called Silver Reef, Utah, he dis-covered silver imbedded in sandstone, the first such discovery in North America.  He later married Amelia Leicht, and the family stayed in Utah until 1896.  In that year they moved to Mohave County, Arizona, settling first in White Hills and a year later in Chloride.  John and his three sons, all miners, worked claims west of Dolan Springs at an area called Kemple Camp.  John and Amelia divorced and, seeking to escape attempts by a labor union to organize miners, in 1902 he joined thousands of other miners in the Klondike and Yukon gold rush in Alaska.  In less than two years he returned to Chloride and resumed mining there.  When his youngest daughter married and settled in Kingman, he began living there with her and her family.  John died in Kingman in 1918 at age 82.  He was survived by six children and 13 grandchildren.
Submitted by Judy Rigdon

RAYMOND HYDE CARR
Born in Iowa, Raymond Carr came to Mohave County in 1881 as a two-year-old with his widowed mother.  After a very brief stay in Mineral Park, they moved to Hackberry.  Raymond’s mother died of tuberculosis early the next year and he was raised by her brother’s widow.  His brief education was in a one-room schoolhouse on the Big Sandy.  By the time he was 21, he had worked as a stable-boy, delivered mail by buckboard to surrounding settlements, been a mucker at the Hackberry Mine, cooked for a cattle outfit, had been a swamper on a supply wagon, and worked as a cowboy.  In 1900 Raymond went into the livestock business on his own.  He owned, and later co-owned, outfits in Nevada and in Yavapai and Mohave Counties, including Arizona Livestock Co.  In 1912 he married Effie Kemple and they settled in Kingman, where Raymond was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge.  He was also a partner in Arizona Stores, Citizens Bank, and Kingman Drug Co.  The home the Carrs built in 1916 at 620 Oak Street is now on the National Register of Historic Places.  Encouraged by several of their Kingman friends who had left Arizona during the Great Depression, the Carrs moved to California in 1931.  Raymond briefly resumed livestock operations on a small scale in the Imperial Valley before turning to crop ranching.  Survived by his wife and four children, he died in Anaheim in 1965 and is buried in Kingman.
Submitted by Judy Rigdon

EFFIE KEMPLE CARR
Effie Kemple was born in Utah, where she lived until her family moved to Arizona in 1896 when she was 11 years old.  They lived for a year in White Hills and then settled in Chloride, where her father was a miner and her mother owned a boardinghouse.  When her mother opened a boardinghouse in Oatman, Effie became its cook.  She lived in Los Angeles for two years to attend business college, returning to Oatman in 1909.  Three years later she married Raymond Carr, a livestock rancher, and they settled in Kingman.  Effie was a charter member of Eastern Star chapter #17 there, and in 1924 was Worthy Grand Matron of Arizona.  She also served several years as Mohave County fund-raising chairman for Arizona Children’s Home and as leader of the Thursday Afternoon Club.  Effie was a gourmet chef, a gracious hostess, an accomplished seamstress, and a talented artist and poet who believed strongly in community service.  After the Carrs left Kingman in 1931 and relocated to California, she was also active in her church and in P.E.O., Ebell Club, Red Cross, and American Legion auxiliary.  Effie died in Tustin, California, in 1977 and is buried in Kingman.  She was survived by her four children and was the matriarch of five generations.      
Submitted by Judy Rigdon

Wm Hardy
William Hardy
William Hardy came to Mohave County in 1864 when it was first organized. He was the founder of Hardyville, builder of the Fort Mojave-Prescott Toll Road, elected to the council from Mohave County for the Second (1865). Third (1866), Fourth (1867), and 15th (1889) Territorial Legislatures. A staunch Republican in his politics. Hardy became a resident of Kingman in 1888, right after the county seat moved to the town, and spent the rest of his days here. He was involved in numerous enterprises during his 40 years as one of Mohave County's biggest promoters. His political career included postmaster, territorial councilman, justice of the peace, Mohave County supervisor for three terms, and candidate for Arizona delegate to Congress. He also served on several territorial commissions.

Gaddis
Demarcus McGintry Gaddis
Oregon Demarcus McGintry Gaddis, a Republican, was elected to serve as a member of the House of the 18th Territorial Legislature in 1895. He was a resident of Kingman, moving there in 1891. He first worked as a bookkeeper in the Beecher and Company store and eventually opened and operated a mercantile establishment with John E. Perry. In later years, Gaddis became involved in mining and ranching. He was ever active in community affairs and served as clerk of the district court and as the postmaster at Kingman for many years.

Cowan
Lawrence Oscar Cowan
Although Lawrence Oscar Cowan was a resident of Kingman and Mohave County for only about 12 years, he distinguished himself by much public service, which speaks well of his abilities and his popularity. He came to Kingman in or about 1886 and served as clerk of the district court, superintendent of county schools, and probate judge. Judge Cowan had the misfortune of losing part of his thumb as he set out to shoot a large cat. He apparently closed the breech of his gun on his thumb while trying to load a cartridge. The cat survived. Cowan also served Mohave County in the House of the Ninth Arizona Territorial Legislature in 1897.

St. Charles
Kean St. Charles
Coming to Kingman in 1892, Kean St. Charles became editor of Our Mineral Wealth, a Kingman newspaper. St. Charles was an active individual who made many prospecting trips and mine visits into the mineralized areas of Mohave County. His reports on the mining activities in the county provide some of the best data and information on the local mining operations of the time. A Democrat, he served in the houses of representatives in the 21st and 22nd Territorial Legislatures in 1901 and 1903. St. Charles was then elected to the council of the 25th Territorial Legislature in 1909. He would go on to serve in the state senate of the Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and 11th Arizona state legislatures.

William Blakley
William O. Blakely
One of the best known names in the legal profession in Mohave County was William O. Blakely, minister, attorney, judge, educator, politician, and civic leader. Both Blakely and the county seat came to reside in Kingman in 1887 Blakely's oratory abilities were said to be well honed as he was also an ordained Methodist minister- During his long life in Mohave County, he would serve as an attorney for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway; district attorney; Superintendent of schools; judge of the Mohave County court; and probate judge At the age of 78. the judge would serve in the council of the 24th Arizona Territorial Legislature in 1907 He was chosen in a special election to replace Patrick K "Patsy" Collins, who had passed away. Blakely was a Republican, "clear through," in all of his political dealings.


William Mahoney
William P. Mahoney
William P. Mahoney, a Democrat, originally came to Mohave County in 1902. After a short absence, he returned in 1909. Elected lo the second and third sessions of the Arizona legislature, he served with distinction first in the state house and then in the state senate. After two sessions in the state capital, he returned to Kingman and was elected county sheriff for two terms. His service as sheriff was extraordinary and would require several more pages to recount. Following his turn as sheriff, Mahoney became an agent for the Santa Fe Railway. His son, William P. Mahoney Jr., would become an ambassador to China under Pres. John F. Kennedy.

Herb Biddulph
Herb Kemp Biddulph
Herb Kemp Biddulph had come to Arizona in the 1930's and to Kingman after World War II. He lived here for 14 years. He was a partner with Roy Dunton in an automobile dealership and a strong proponent of incorporation for Kingman. When Kingman formed as a city in 1952. Biddulph was elected Its first mayor. He served from 1952 to 1955. Shortly thereafter, he moved to the Phoenix area and continued his involvement in automobile dealerships.

ASA HARRIS
Asa
                  Harris

pic-Asa Harris, 86 years old on December 31, 1935 at work in the County office in charge of county equipment, job held for 15 years.

Eleonor Brodnax wrote an article about the 86 year old pioneer. The article was published in Dec. 30,1955, in the 'Miner', and it is herein presented in its entirety. In the 1890's, the life was anything but gay for Asa Harris, then the oldest pioneer in Kingman. Asa Harris lived through the turbulent days of Arizona and his recollections rival the fiction of Zane Grey. In December of 1955, Asa Harris had lived 73 of his 86 years in Kingman, and watched the town grow from the time Judge Blakely constructed his adobe house in 1888. (It still stands as a private residence, naturally, with improvements.) Asa Harris was sworn in as a deputy sheriff in 1894, and his first job was catching train robbers at Peach Springs. The leader was killed by the train crew man. Harris took off with other deputies and soon they ran the robbers down. In 1898, Harris became the undersheriff and held that position until 1912. After the railroad came to Kingman, the people voted in 1886 to move the county seat from Mineral Park to Kingman. Cattlemen and miners started to settle here and there. Nine saloons were opened along Front Street (now Andy Devine) facing the railroad tracks. Tempers were sometime quick. When two nien got to fussing, they usually tried to step out and settle the argument with guns. Sometime one came back and sometime both laid on the ground. Every man packed a gun, said Harris. He sold his just a few days ago in December of 1955.
    Asa Harris said that he lived on the same lot in Kingman for 63 years. When he married Libbie Wilson in 1893, Harris constructed a three-room house. Then, when the children began to come, Harris sold the house, which was moved off the lot and a larger house was erected. Later that house was too small. Harris sold it to be moved off, and a third house was built on the same lot.
    The son, Bill, held the same job in 1955 as his father Asa Harris, the undersheriff of Mohave County. The wife of Asa Harris died in October of 1955 before their 60th wedding anniversary.
    Asa Harris was born in 1859 in Portland, Oregon. His father was a cowboy. The family moved to San Francisco, and when Asa was one year old, the family joined a wagon train on the way to Arizona.
    Hardly 11 years old, Asa ran away from home and joined Henry Lambert, a cattleman. Asa helped to drive the cattle to Mohave County riding horseback with other cowboys. When they reached an Indian Reservation in Mohave County, Lambert decided to stay on the reservation until he could find a good ranch. Lambert had to take a squaw in order to stay on the reservation, as the Indians required. After a while, Lambert found the right land and called it Walnut Creek Ranch.
    The Indians were giving them trouble, said Harris. Bands of 30 or 40 Indians would raid the ranch for cattle.
    Asa Harris explained that he had no schooling. When he was 14, he could write a bit, so, he prepared a letter and mailed it to the International Correspondence School in Chicago. At first, the school would not accept him, because he was too young. Later he was accepted and studied hard.
    In 1955, when the story was written about him, Asa Harris was sitting at the desk in the "County Barn" from 6 AM to 5 PM, except for going home at noon to eat his meal. Asa was in charge of all the County equipment, doing all the paper work. Asa was on that job for 15 years, and planned to continue it.
    Asa Harris, one of the pioneers and old timers in Kingman passed away for eternal reward years ago, but is still remembered.

JESSE W. FAULKNER

Judge Jesse W. Faulkner was elected in 1934 and re-elected in 1938 as superior court judge of Mohave County. Judge Faulkner was first a school teacher from 1896 to 1902. He was admitted to the Missouri Bar in 1902, Washington Bar in 1903, Wyoming Bar in 1918 and Arizona Bar in 1928, to practice law. He was engaged in the private pratice of law from 1904 to 1934, hence to his election as a judge. Judge Faulkner was in public service for 38 years prior to his election.
    The correspondence of Judge Faulkner reflect his diversified activities.
    In July 1944, J on reed Lauritzen wrote a letter from Tumurru, via Short Creek on the Arizona Strip, to Judge Faulkner and among other things he said:
    "You may be interested to know that because of my writings, particularly the novel, "Arrows Into Sun", Secretary of Interior Ickes invited me to come to Washington to confer with him and other officials on the problems concerning the public domain. As a consequence of these discussions I am to receive an appointment to study many features of the scenic west and write about it for the Interior Department."
    Judge Faulkner answered Lauritzen in a long letter:
    "Your book, Arrows Into Sun, and your articles in the Arizona Highways have been interesting reading to me. As I read that part of your "Trail to Hellangone" which tells of the day your family entered the Canyon Country, I can almost hear your Mother's singing echo back from the Cliff of Tumurru."
    "It brings back memories of April 14, 1881, when my parents loaded the farm wagon and set out from a little farm owned by my grandfather in the Missouri Ozarks. My father had purchased another farm in the neighboring valley, on which he built an unchinked one-room log house that was the house for the family until fall, when it was plastered with sand and lime, and a huge sandstone chimney was built in time to keep out winter frosts."
    "In those days it was 'bad luck' to move cats, but mother did not have the heart to say 'No', when 2 1/2 year old boy grabbed Polly, as he called the old yellow tomcat and lugged it to the wagon.
    "The original log house had grown to a rambling nine-room structure by the time my parents sold it and moved away in 1916."
    Many more pictures of the pioneering life of his parents were described by Judge Faulkner in his leiter.
    From the Mohave County Ministerial Union in Kingman, Judge Faulkner received a short petition: "Slot machines and punchboards are a direct violation of the laws of Arizona and money is being lost on gambling devices while families suffer for lack of food, clothing and fuel. H Hence the Ministerial Union requested, "that the elected officials responsible for such enforcement take proper action to stop this violation." With the petition Judge Faulkner had a leller typwrillen on the Hotel Beale stationery, dated October 19,1942, telling among other things, "that the slot machine is not harmful but a real asset providing amusement for the bus passengersH, and Hwhile the persons play the machine they are not drinking."
    In the Judge Faulkner correspondence files were lellers from Gov. Sidney P. Osborn, Gov. R.T. Jones, Sen. Carl Hayden, Sen. Ashurst, Jim Farley, once postmaster general, and from other public dignitaries.
    Bishop Walter Mitchell from Phoenix suggested to Judge Faulkner "the possibilities of the culture of the Guayule rubber plant in Mohave County." Judge Faulkner answered him, that "personally I have given no study to the maller of growing the new rubber plant here; but if waste desert land is what is required, we have an abundance of it in this County."
    In one letter, Judge Faulkner wrote about his judicial problems: "last week I commilled a youngster to Ft. Grant for larceny. Today I placed one on probation, a boy from Boriana mine for burglarizing. Judge Wishon had three or four minor Wallapais in his court today. Other young hoodlums have been guilty for burglary, robbery, etc.".
    Where does it all end, pondered the Judge. The present judges ponder about it also.
    A man from Boulder City, Nevada, in his June 20, 1942 letter to Judge Faulkner wrote: "One year ago you performed the marriage ceremony for my wife and myself, which has proven to be one of the greatest favors ever done to me". So, the man asked Judge Faulkner for advice in regard to buying "lots in the residential section of Kingman not too far from the heart of the town." And the good judge gave the man all the needed information including some lot prices.
    A lady from Safford, Arizona, wrote Judge Faulkner that she noticed his name spelled the same as her mother's maiden name. She wanted to know if the Judge could be her relative.
    Judge Faulkner gave her a long answer, and among other things wrote: "Our Faulkner ancestors came from Westmorland County, England, sometime prior to the Revolutionary War. Three brothers landed in New York. One settled there, one went to Virginia and the third returned to England. The one that settled in Virginia was my ancestor. His son or grandson, Henry Faulkner, was born in Virginia in 1773. "And the Judge added: "I have met more people of my name in Arizona than I have seen anywhere, but they were not related to me. "
    A man from Short Creek (now Colorado City) wrote to Judge Faulkner on July 21,1937, asking for help to get a job. Judge Faulkner answered: "I made inquires to find if the County Employment Office knew of any work, but there was nothing in your part of the County. It seems to be rather hard to get an ordinary job here in Kingman just at present. My son has been looking for work about a week, and has not located anything up to date."
    "I saw a man from Chloride", continued Judge, "who says they are working a considerable force of men at the Pioneer Mine, and two or three men will quit."
    Finally, Sen. Carl Hayden wrote to Judge Faulkner "on the subjects of interest to us all." Sen. Hayden wrote that for years and quite often the subject of reorganization of the Executive Branch of Government is discussed in the press. II' And he continued in that letter, dated May 22, 1943: "It is an impossible task for the Congress to attempt reorganization of the Executive Branch of Government. Neither the Senate nor the House has the time nor the ability for such an undertaking". And Sen. Hayden added: "It has been always my firm conviction that the people of the United States are ninety-nine times out of a hundred ahead of either the Congress or the Executive Branch of Government in arriving at sound conclusions as to what course our nation should follow.
    Sen. Carl Hayden wrote his opinion almost 40 years ago, and it should be in the mind of the advocates of it today.

JOHN ROWLAND WHITESIDE, Physician and Surgeon, Kingman, Arizona, was born at Troy, Illinois, November 19, 1851. His parents were Abigail Hall and James Whiteside. He was educated in Chicago University, and studied medicine at St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated. Dr. Whiteside is eminent in his profession in Arizona, is local surgeon for the Santa Fe R. R. Co.. the Goldroads Mining Company, and the Needles Mining and Smelting Company.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

BOLLINGER, Helen Mar (Mrs.), born in Greenfield, Iowa, October 16, 1885, formerly located in Kansas City, Missouri, living for the last 14 years in Arizona. Married to E. Elmo Bollinger. Children: E. Elmo Bollinger, Jr. A. B., B. S. and A. M. degrees from the University of Missouri; Phi Beta Kappa (Alpha Chapter of Missouri); State president of the Arizona Congress of Parents and Teachers, 192528. Recording Secretary of National Congress P. T. A. Home: Kingman, Arizona.
Source: Women of the West by Max Binheim 1928

Return