Genealogy Trails      Arizona Trails

Navajo County, Arizona
Biographies



Hugh A. Larson 1859-1912
Hugh Larson

Hugo Larson, better known in the Holbrook and Mogollon region as "Hook" Larson, has often jokingly been referred to as "the biggest cattleman in Arizona". In part that was true, since at one time he weighed nearly 300 pounds. Oddly, most of the time he rode a stout little 830 pound horse that did not seem to mind his weight.
Born in Denmark on April 6, 1850, he was brought to Utah in 1862.
The father was killed by Indians in 1867. and soon Larson was riding as a cowboy to help support the family.
In 1881, he married Christine Duncan in Utah and came to Arizona in 1883, engaging in freighting for a time and in installation work on the newly constructed Santa Fe Railroad across northern Arizona.
In 1885. he traded his teams for sheep and cattle which he ran along the Rim west of Heber.
In 1887, he was a member of the Sheriff's posse that tried to break up the Graham Tewkesbury feud in Pleasant Valley, and was with the party that found the bodies of Stott, Scott and Wilson who had been hanged as horse thieves. It was said he was the only person in the party who would approach and cut down the bodies.
Larson's first wife died in 1886 and in 1807 he married Janie Cox.
In 1897, he traded his sheep for the Dan Mahoney cow outfit in Gordon Canyon, cast of Payson.
In 1911, he sold the ranch under the Rim to Charley Allenbaugh and John Connors and moved to Holbrook where he purchased the Brunswick Hotel which he operated up to the time of his death on April 12, 1912.
During Larson's early days in the Holbrook region he served a period as a Sheriff's deputy and was known as a fearless person and a tough customer to handle.
Surviving members of the family are son, Hugh of Globe. and Leland with the Diamond A outfit in New Mexico.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2

John Calvin Paulsell 1869-
John Paulsell

Born in Rolla, Missouri. July 11, 1869, "J. C." Paulsell is one of those "Show me" boys.
In 1885, at the age of sixteen, he decided to become a cowboy and headed for Texas, Where he rode (In-range for six years and acquired n knowledge of the ways of cattle.
About that time many Texas cattlemen were moving their herds into Arizona where the range was less crowded. "J. C." fell under the spell of this "far away" land, rolled his tarp and lit out for the Holbrook region in 1891.
For some time he worked on the Z Cross ranch of A. E. Henning, father of the long-time state senator, Lloyd Henning, and later worked on the Long H. While with the Long H. he began buying a few cattle "on his own," and, in 1901. bought the Z cross remnant, quit his job and drove his cattle into Pleasant Valley. Here, with the Z Cross brand, he established his first personally-owned outfit, 18 years after starting out as a Texas cowboy.
The following year "J. C." married Leona Hawthorne of Wide Ruins, and in 1908 bought the M O ranch in the Valley. Here, among such good neighbors as H .J. Ramer, the Youngs, Ellisons. Louie Naeglin and others, Paulsell prospered and became known as a man one could "tie to."
In 1913, with children of school age, he sold out to Gross, Kelly & Co., and moved to Holbrook, where he tried to become a "city dude" by entering the clothing business and other enterprises.
A cowman at heart, however, "J. C." went back to his first love in 1917. by buying the Prime Coleman ranch on the Little Colorado. This ranch is now operated by his son, Lloyd Paulsell. using the TH brand.
Mrs. Paulsell died in 1920 and "J. C." was forced to take over the job of raising six children. Mrs. Lloyd Paulsell says he "did a good job of it, too." In 1928 he married Margaret McCarthy, of Holbrook. where they now make their home.
Of the six Paulsell children, five are living: Harry C. Lloyd H., Patten D., Edna M   Dobeti and Delia P. Pitcher.
Source: Pioneers and Well Know Cattlemen of Arizona by Roscoe G. Willson volume 2

Joseph Udall 1861-1949
Joseph Udall
Joseph Udall, one of Arizona's pioneer cattlemen and horse breeders, was born in Nephi, Utah, on June 28, 1861.
At the behest of authorities of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, Udall set out with wagons on the rough overland journey to Northern Arizona shortly after marrying Emma Goldsborough, With his wife and baby, he crossed the Colorado Itiver at Lee's Ferry and settled for a time in the young community of St. Johns. A short time later, Udall moved to the little settlement of Eager, in Round Valley, where he acquired land and engaged in farming and sheep and cattle raising. Feeling that range horses needed improving. Joseph Udall was the prime mover in the importation of several pure bred stallions from France. He was also one of the first to introduce roan Durham cattle and red hogs into the region.
In partnership with John C. Hall and George Winsor, Udall formed the Cross F Cattle Company which, for many years, was one of the big out-fits in the White Mountain area.
Joseph Udall was a lender in public enterprises. He became prominent in the construction of irrigation projects, was a charter member of the Arizona Good Roads Association, served on the Hoard of Supervisors, and was also interested in local banking and merchandising operations.
Udall served the LDS Church with a mission to Europe in the '90's and for 23 years was Bishop of the Eager ward. His church work, together with his activities on behalf of the public welfare, helped him to be regarded as one of Arizona's outstanding citizens.
Other branches of the Udall family have also attained prominence. Levi S. Udall is now a member of the Arizona Supreme Court, and his nephew. Nicholas Udall. is a one-time mayor of Phoenix.
Joseph Udall's first wife, Emma, died in 1928. He later married Arilla Ashcroft, who survives him. Joseph Udall died in the old home at Eager, on December 23, 1949.
Four sons and four daughters are still living. K. G. and Pratt (who is postmaster at Springerville ) still maintain cattle on the old range.
EDWARD A. SAWYER.
Though a native of Germany, Mr. Sawyer has been a resident of this country since his eighth year, and for twenty-three years has been identified with the far west. Born in 1858. he came to the United States with an uncle in 1866, and for eight years resided in Columbia, Tenn., where he was educated. In 1874 he removed to Cincinnati. Ohio, and in that city remained until 1878. when the excitement accompanying the development of gold at Leadville, Colo attracted him to that camp. About a year later he removed to Otero, N. M., then a town of about two thousand inhabitants, but now defunct. The following years, up to 1885, Mr. Sawyer spent principally in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, where he continued in the same vocation, that of clerk in mercantile houses. In 1885 he settled in Winslow, and, forming a partnership with Julius Lesser, engaged in the general mercantile business, which relation has been sustained to the present time. His business career has been attended by success. Aside from the business which engages most of his time, he has been interested in stock-raising and mining in various sections of Arizona. With his partner, at one time he was interested in the manufacture of brick, their plant producing the material from which the schoolhouse, roundhouse and depot hotel at Winslow are constructed.

In politics a Democrat, Mr. Sawyer is one of the most influential men of his party in Navajo county. By appointment he served as the first county treasurer upon the separation of Navajo from Apache county in 1895. He was also the first mayor of Winslow. For several years he served as a member of the territorial central Democratic committee. It is a noteworthy fact that he has attended every territorial Democratic convention since he became a resident of Arizona. Fraternally he is a member of the blue lodge in Masonry, a charter member of Winslow lodge No. 13, in which he has passed all the chairs, and is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is one of the public-spirited citizens of Winslow, and may always be depended upon to do his full share toward furthering any movement inspired by a desire to advance the best interests of his town.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona Champman Publishing 1904

Laura Ruth Decker Abbott
Laura Ruth Decker Abbott, a daughter of Laura Matilda Westover and Zechariah Nathaniel Decker, was born August 8, 1913, at Taylor, Arizona.
Her mother was one of two children born to Edwin Lycurgas Westover and Johanna Matilda Erickson, pioneers of Joseph City.
Her father was one of the early school teachers in Joseph City, in the first meeting house (later the Relief Society building) at Joseph City.
Ruth married John Abbott, a native of San Bernardino, California, on October 18, 1938, and became the mother of six children, the eldest of whom died at the age of one year.

Virginia Augusta Bushman Acheson
Virginia Augusta Bushman Acheson, a daughter of Preston Ammaron Bushman and Anna Smith, was born September 17, 1910 at St. Joseph (Joseph City).
She was the granddaughter of John Bushman, early day leader and bishop of the Joseph City ward, and a grand-daughter on her mother's side of Jesse N. Smith, noted stake president and civic leader at Snowflake.
She married Reginald W. Acheson December 21, 1933, and became the mother of three children, Neil, Lynette and Ronald. They met at Holbrook while both were working for the Navajo-Apache Telephone Company in 1932. (It is assumed they married in Holbrook).
During their married lives they have lived in Arizona, Utah, Indiana and California. Reginald is employed by the Texas Refinery Corporation and travels extensively through Latin America.
Their home since 1944 has been in San Diego, California.

Nina McLaws Turley Adair
Nina McLaws Turley was one of twins born to Joseph Hartley and Joanna "Josie" McLaws Turley at Woodruff, Arizona, on February 21, 1916. Her twin, Walter McLaws Turley, was killed while on a Boy Scout hunting trip in a firearms accident in 1929.
She attended Joseph City schools and Holbrook High School, graduating from the latter in the spring of 1934.
After high school she worked for the First National Bank of Holbrook several years, and for a time was a secretary in the office of State Auditor Ana Frohmiller in Phoenix.
Nina joined the Women's Army Corps in 1943 and served in the postal department at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Indiana. She was discharged from military service in 1946.
Following her WAC experience, she was employed by the Valley National Bank in Mesa, Arizona.
On July 17, 1951 she married William Preston Adair, son of Charles N. Adair and Henrietta Reynolds. Her first son was born at Eagar, Arizona, and the second at St. Johns, Arizona.
She and her family reside (1961) at Eagar, Arizona.
Her husband is a graduate of Round Valley High School, a veteran of World War II, having spent four years in military service, three of which were in India.
He filled a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Northwestern States. He is a native of Luna, New Mexico, where he was born December 30, 1916.

Andrew Earl Adams
Andrew Earl Adams was the son of David Edward Adams, one of the original settlers of St. Joseph (Joseph City) in 1876. Andrew did not live in Joseph City, having been born some 20 years after his father and mother left the community to live elsewhere.
His mother was Caroline Henrietta Lind, who married his father just before leaving Utah to settle Arizona at the call of Pres. Brigham Young.
He was born June 7, 1897 (1898?) at Central, Graham County, Arizona the eleventh child of his parents.
When he was eight (or nine) years old his mother died and he lived with his father and aunt Marian, whom his father had married after his mother died, until he was 14. At that time he went to live with his next older sister Mary Anne Butler, at Hubbard.
He filled a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Mexico, and on his return brought a Mexican boy to live with him whose name was Rafiel Navarriz. The boy learned to speak English and eventually attended Gila College in Thatcher, Arizona, joined the Church at Hubbard.
Earl went to Taylor, Arizona, with the Butlers, and there met and married a cousin of William F. Butler, his brother-in-law. Her name was Hazel Hancock.
They went to Miami, Arizona, where Earl worked in the mines. It was there their first four children were born. Later they moved to Snowfkke, and their last four children were born there.
In Snowflake he did some farming and worked at odd jobs. Later the family moved to Mesa where he planted fruit trees, raised cows and chickens, and kept some bees.
He works for the City of Mesa.
Charles Raymond Adams
Charles Raymond Adams was rhe sixth child of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind. He was born at Linden, Arizona October 16, 1886. (The community was then known as Tuniper.)
Raymond was still a boy when his parents went to the Gila River Valley of Arizona. Here he learned to do many things and became a good finish carpenter.
He was married sometime in 1909 in the Salt Lake Temple to Mabel Echols. To them were born four children, the last two being twins. After the death of the first daughter, Ruth and one of the twins, Flora, Mabel left Raymond for another man and took the remaining baby, Florence, with her.
After about two years Raymond married Nellie Soaper at Holbrook, Arizona, where he had gone because of an accident to his son Raymond, who had been living with his aunt and uncle Mr. and Mrs. William F. Butler. In Holbrook their only child was born. She was Endra Evelyn and was known as Gertrude.
After their child was born Raymond and Nellie moved to Pacific Beach, California. Raymond died there on February 4, 1957, and his wife still lives there. (July, 1961)

David Edward Adams
David Edward Adams, a native of Northampton, Northampton, England, was born November 27, 1851, son of David Adams and Maria Thetford. His parents joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England and shortly thereafter emigrated to the United States.
Arriving in Salt Lake City in 1857, they lived there for a time and then went to Alpine, Utah.
David Edward Adams lived with his parents until he was grown. When past 24 years of age he received a call from Brigham Young to join the colonizers who were going to Arizona in the early months of 1876.
Shortly after receiving the call he married Caroline Henrietta Lind, sold eight acres of land, bought a wagon, mule team and some farm implements and provisions to last a year.
David was one of six men called to settle in northern Arizona who took his wife with him. The others were John McLaws, George Buckler, Hans Hansen, Alfred ClufF and James E. Shelley.
The Adams left Alpine, Utah, April 19, 1876. They arrived weeks later at Allen's Camp, later to become Joseph City. Adams was said to have constructed the first dwelling in the community. He helped dig the ditches, plow the land, and plant crops. Floods washed away the dams, so Adams left in November that year to settle at Show Low, farther south. He rented land from C E. Cooley and was among the first to farm in the Show Low area. His first son was born in a log house he built in Show Low. In 1878 he moved over the mountain to Forestdale where a daughter was born to them. Here they lived in constant fear of the Apache Indians, farming by day and guarding herds by night.
While his wife was visiting her family in Alpine, a son was born and died, with the father never seeing him.
Change in the Indian reservation line caused Adams to leave Forestdale. He moved to Show Low again, living in a house on the Ellsworth ranch. While here he went into freighting activities.
When Indian troubles broke out and made Show Low unsafe, he moved to Taylor. Later he bought a 160 acre farm at Linden when his wife was named postmistress there. Building himself a home and barn there, he also helped build a school and church. After a time the family moved back to Show Low, and alternated between there and Linden until he lost heavily in drought which killed sheep which he had obtained. Eventually he obtained a sawmill in Pinetop where he served as post-master for a time.
Trading his sawmill for cattle, he moved to Gila Valley in 1896 and stayed with a brother-in-law, James Freestone. Settling in Bryce first, he later moved to Central where he spent the remainder of his life.
His wife died in 1906, on September 10, having given birth to twelve children.
Later he married his wife's sister, who had lost her own husband after giving birth to six children. She bore three children by her husband David Edward Adams.

David Thetford Adams
David Thetford Adams was the fifth child of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind, original settlers of Joseph City.
He was born at Linden, Arizona July 10, 1884, and moved with his parents to the Gila Valley when he was a, living under conditions of hard-ship, first in a dugout and then in a tent.
He filled a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1910 and 1911 in Florida.
He was married October 1, 1911 to Mae Elvina Thompson, daughter of a Jeweler in Safford, Arizona. They became the parents of six children.
They lived in SafTord for a time and then moved to Miami, Arizona, where David worked in the mines. It was here that he was killed in a mine accident when he was crushed by a rock.
The mining company provided for her and her children, helping them to buy a home in Mesa, where she met and married Hoyt Martin. Their present home is Tempe, Arizona. (July 1961)

Edward Lind Adams
Edward Lind Adams was the eldest son of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind. He was born at Show Low, Arizona, February 3, 1877 and spent his boyhood in that area, learning to freight and farm with his father and brothers.
Early in his adult life he went to Metcalf, Arizona, a mining community, and hauled ore by wagon from Garfield to Metcalf.
At age 29 he met and married Maud Shurtz Skow, native of Escalante, Utah, whose first husband Don Carlos Shurtz, had died not long after their marriage. She was in Arizona visiting her brother George Shurtz when she met Lind Adams.
There were eight children born to them. Two were born while the family lived in Central, Graham County.
One was born at Escalante where the family lived for a time. Two more were born in Central after they returned to Arizona. A son was born while Lind worked in Miami, Arizona, and twin sons were born after a further move to Hubbard where Lind engaged in farming.
After their second move to Miami, Maud died, leaving a large family of small children. Marcia, the oldest, helped care for rhe family for a time. The twins were sent to Lind's sister, Maria Webster. Agatha, youngest girl, went to live with another sister, Mary Anne Butler. Pearl lived with another of Lind's sisters, Caroline Watson. Burns lived with the Butlers for a time.
Their father, with the older children, lived and farmed at Ashurst, Arizona on a dry farm until the children married, after which he moved to Safford, where he lived with his unmarried son, Lawrence. Lind died at Safford March 20, 1957 and was buried at Central beside his wife.

George Rudger Adams
George Rudger Adams was the youngest son of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind, original settlers in Joseph City. Rudger was but three years old when his mother died.
His father married his mother's sister and he lived with them for some years before going to live with his sister.
He early learned to milk cows and care for stock, and so spent part of his adult life in working in dairies.
He married Ruby Hancock, a sister of his brother Andrew's wife, May 8, 1926 at Miami, Arizona. They became parents of 12 children, eight of whom were born at Globe, two at Snowflake, two in Mesa and the first in Miami.
After a few years in Mesa, Arizona, the family moved to Garden Grove, California, and later to Los Angeles where he worked in the Los Angeles Temple.
He accepted custodianship of two ward meeting houses and works at that, July 1961.
His five married children have all married in the temple. Seven of the family have served as L.D.S. missionaries, including himself and wife George and wife still live in Los Angeles.

Joseph William Adams
Joseph William Adams was the eighth child and sixth son of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind. He was born at Linden (earlier known as Juniper) in southern Navajo County, Arizona, April 7, 1891. Much of his boyhood was spent at Central, in Graham County, and after his mother died in September 1906 shifted for himself.
He went to Show Low to live writh his uncle, George Adams, and from here he entered rhe U. S. Army in September 1917, later going to France where he served in the infantry and with the engineers. In France he met a daughter of a Frenchman, Pauline Augustine Celine Mucel, an interpreter and school teacher.
They were married in France May 5, 1919 at Amboise. He remained in France with her until she obtained necessary legal papers to come to America. He was discharged from the Army July 17, 1919.
They lived at Central, Arizona, and later moved a short distance to Bryce, where he farmed and where their first daughter was born. They lived for a time at Cactus, south of Safford. After the birth of their second son at Central, they moved to Miami where he worked in the copper mines.
From Miami they moved to Phoenix where Pauline taught French and William did carpenter work. After a time they moved to Long Beach, California where they were living in July 1961. Their two sons joined the U. S. Air Force and were fliers in World War II Edward, after he returned home, was killed in a jeep accident.

Lewis Alonzo Adams
Lewis Alonzo Adams was the fourth child and third son of David Edward Adams and Caroline Henrietta Lind, original pioneers of Joseph City. He was born February 4, 1882 at Show Low, Navajo County, Arizona.
One of his first jobs was hauling freight from Geronimo to Globe, with his brother David. Later they settled in Globe and hauled lumber for the mines. For a time they were freighters from Naco to Cananea in Mexico. Lon, as he was known, was at Morenci in freighting for a time, sending money to his father to help pay for their farm. Later he went to Flagstaff to work for a season.
Upon his return to Central and Graham County, he met and married Rozetta Cluff July 27,1905.
Their first child was born the following year at Metcalf, Ariz., while their three other children were born at Central. He worked at store keeping, selling sewing machines, goat raising, and was a carpenter in various mining towns.
After an illness of some three years his wife died.
In 1940 he married Emma Western Tomkinson, whom he first met when freighting in Mexico. They were companionable and she cared for him during his last illness. He died at Central January 26,1959.

Ruby Elizabeth McLaws Adams
Ruby Elizabeth McLaws was the daughter of John and Sophia De La Mare McLaws, among the original settlers at Allen's Camp which became Joseph City, Arizona.
She was born at Joseph City (then St. Joseph) on January 30, 1894. Her childhood was spent in Joseph City where she was an active member of the group of young people of the first generation.
She was married July 7, 1919, to Freer Adams, and was the mother of five children.
Losing her husband fairly early in their married life, she was obliged to serve as both father and mother of her brood, working in hospitals and other places to earn a livelihood.

Altha Lorraine Despain Allen
Henry Waters Despain, one of the pioneers of the community.
She was married December 5, 1923 to Nahum C. Allen, and they became parents of five children. Andrew Wainsley Allen
Andrew Wainsley Allen was the second son of William Coleman Allen and Lovina Jane Smith. He was born in Draper, Utah, January 12, 1869, and started school in Draper, being about eight years old when he moved with his family to Arizona, where his father had been called as captain of a company of colonists.
At St. Joseph he was a worker with his family in the United Order and his duties were to assist Henry M. Tanner in the care of the cattle. His childhood sweethearr, Hannah Martena Peterson, rode the range with him and went in summer to the Mormon Dairy south of Flagstaff when they moved the cattle there.
In 1884 Andrew went back to Draper when his parents returned to their old home upon release of his father from his Arizona mission.
Ten years later, on November 9, 1894, he married Hannah Martena "Tena" Peterson, daughter of Charles Maurirz Peterson and Hannah E. Jorgenson. The marriage took place in the Salt Lake Temple, where Andrew served as a guide after its completion.
They became parents of four daughters.
Andrew Allen became a prominent sheep man in Draper and Charleston, and was active in civic and church affairs. Before his death he wrote a book about his experiences in Arizona and Utah.
He died Christmas Day 1941 at Salt Lake City. His wife had died, also in Salt Lake City, on October 30, 1923.

Earl Serenus Allen

Earl Serenus Allen was the seventh son of William Coleman Allen and Loving Jane Smith. He was born while the family resided at St. Joseph, Apache County, Arizona Territory, on 11 October 1880.
He was only four years old when the family moved back to Draper, Utah. There he became a farmer.
He married Mabel Emiss on December 20, 1906, in the Salt Lake Temple and they became parents of eight children.
After his wife died on March 4, 1947, he married Agnes R. Fitzgerald in the Salt Lake Temple on May 28, 1948.
He purchased his father's farm in 1917 and lived the rest of his life in Draper.
He was an active church worker, being a stake missionary for six years, active in most of the auxiliary church organizations also.
He was caretaker of the Draper Cemetery for many years.

Joseph Ellsworth Allen
Joseph Ellsworth Allen, third son of William Coleman Allen and Lovina Jane Smith, was born November 5, 1871, at Draper, Utah. He was six years old, when the family moved to Arizona, where his father was called on a mission to colonize the Little Colorado country.
He was thirteen when the family was called to return to Draper because of the death of his grandfather, Andrew Jackson Allen. Later that same year, 1884, he accompanied his father back to St. Joseph to settle their affairs with the United Order company.
He married Hannah Luella Shipley on December 14, 1899. They had no children of their own but gave a home to many of their nieces and nephews.
Joseph E. Allen was a prominent sheep man and farmer in company with his brother Andrew W.
His wife Hannah was born in Draper on June 16, 1873, the daughter of Robert and Harriet W. Shipley. He died in Draper on September 29, 1936.

Original data: Westover, Adele B.. Unflinching courage. unknown: unknown, 1960.

BENJAMIN BROWN
BENJAMIN BROWN, live stock dealer and real estate man, has without doubt handled more cattle and sheep than any other man in Northern Arizona, during the 32 years he has been in the state, having come here in 1880. He not only handles many sheep and cattle but has also been active in the handling of ranches and other real estate. Three brothers came to Holbrook, spent the winter along the Colorado and later moved south. Mr. Brown then went to Nutrioso in the spring of 1881, started in the cattle and lumber business and has been actively engaged in different pursuits since that time. He brought the first sawmill to the head of the Colorado River, hauling it in from Utah with teams. He manufactured lumber for a score of years and after he retired his descendants took up the business and are still engaged in the work. He is the father of nine children, eight girls and one son, eight of whom are living, and Mr. Brown is the grandfather of 35 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren. Although nearly three score and ten Mr. Brown is hale and hearty and still as active as his grandchildren. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lorenzo Brown, crossed the plains with the Mormon caravan in 1848, and after having played an active part in the development of the state of Utah, came to Arizona, where both died several years ago. They were both exiled with other members of their faith from Nauvoo, Ill., in the early forties, Mr. Brown being but a babe when the colony was expelled. Although without political aspiration, he has often been urged to accept political offices, hut preferred to attend to his home duties, and the different enterprises to which he gave attention, but he has been a power in the Democratic party.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

SIDNEY SAPP
SIDNEY SAPP, Judge of the Superior Court of Navajo County, came to Arizona from Oklahoma four years ago, and has since been prominently identified with the civic, social and political life of the State. He settled in Holbrook and having been admitted to practice in all the courts of the State, began the practice of his profession there. In addition, he started the Holbrook News, which has been a success from the beginning, and is now controlled by the News Publishing Company. Judge Sapp was born September 27, 1868, in Fayette County, Ill., and is the son of Joseph MacHenry and Kate Ryan Sapp. He was educated and studied law in Missouri, and began the practice of law in 1895, at Stockton, Missouri. He also practiced for a number of years in Oklahoma. He was married first in May, 1893, to Miss Mabel Ferris who died in 1908, and he was afterward married on June 15th, 1910, at Stillwater, Oklahoma, to Mrs. Alma Fortner Spiers, of that place. They have since made their home in Holbrook, and Mrs. Sapp has already become well known and popular in the affairs of that vicinity. In politics Judge Sapp is a Republican. He is a Mason, belonging to almost all of the bodies of that order, a member of the B. P. O. E., and takes an active part in the fraternal life of his community and state.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

JESSE E. CROSBY
JESSE E. CROSBY, County Attorney of Navajo, comes from one of the pioneer families of the State, and inherits his ability and taste for official life from his father, G. H. Crosby, who, aside from taking an active part in the official life of Utah, made his mark as a public official in Arizona. The family have lived here since 1885, when Jesse was but five years of age. As Sheriff of Washington County, Utah, the elder Crosby made a reputation which followed him to Arizona, and when he became a candidate for the Legislature his election followed as a matter of course. He was one of the active members of the la\v-making body in 1895 and 1896, the year Navajo County was formed. He was a staunch Republican, a man loved and respected by all who knew him, and his word was as good as his bond. His son Jesse has followed in his footsteps and his future is promising. Like his father he is a Republican, and enjoys the confidence of all with whom he comes in contact. Jesse Crosby was raised on a ranch, received a common school education in Arizona, and afterward took a course in the Utah Agricultural College. He then went to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he completed the law course. He immediately came to Arizona, and, having been admitted to the bar, practiced for a short time, when he was elected to the office of County Attorney, which he now holds. Though quite a young man, Mr. Crosby was successful as a practicing attorney, and since assuming office has acquitted himself most creditably. He has been an efficient officer and his constituents are well pleased with work.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

WILLIAM H. BURBAGE
WILLIAM H. BURBAGE was born in New York City in 1854, but having lost both parents when but seven years of age, the greater part of his education was acquired in a Catholic institution in Ohio, where he grew to manhood and laid the foundation for a successful business career. In 1878 he started West, spent some time prospecting in Kansas and other sections, and in 1878 located in Trinidad, Colorado, where he took a position in the store of the Colorado Trading Company. In 1882 he moved on to New Mexico and was employed by a mercantile house having branches in Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Two years later he went to Holbrook and forming a partnership with J. Q. Adamson and Milton Chenowith, they opened a general mercantile store under the name of Adamson and Burbage, and for five years did a large and profitable business. Then they sold out and proceeded to Los Angeles, where they embarked in the wholesale meat business. Before leaving Ohio Mr. Burbage had devoted two years to the study of law in Hiram College, but until he reached Los Angeles had very little opportunity to proceed further with his work in that direction. While in the meat business there, however, he spent his leisure hours in study, and in April, 1893, was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of California. The same year he returned to Arizona, and opened an office in Winslow. The following year he was elected District Attorney of Apache County and re-elected in 1898 and 1900. He was also appointed local attorney for the Santa Fe R. R. at Winslow. In 1895 he had formed a partnership with Mr. F. W. Nelson, and in 1900, with Mr. Nelson, organized the Navajo County Bank, of which he was chosen president, and has since continued at the head of that institution. In 1905 Mr. Burbage and Mr. F. W. Nelson organized the Apache County Bank, of St. Johns, Arizona, and became president and vice president and cashier, respectively. In the fall of 1909 the Navajo County Bank of Winslow, and the Apache County Bank of St. Johns, merged under the present name of the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Co., with $100,000 paid in capital, of which institution, with bank at Winslow and branches at St. Johns and Holbrook, Mr. Burbage became and is president. Mr. Burbage is the owner of a large amount of real estate in that vicinity, and a man whose ventures in various fields of activity have been attended by success. In 1896 he was delegate to the National Democratic Convention at St. Louis, and from 1896 to 1900 represented Arizona on the National Democratic Committee. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus, and is also a member of the Elks, of which he has been Exalted Ruler in the local lodge.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

R. C. KAUFMAN
R. C. KAUFMAN, cashier of the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Company, was born in Leroy, Illinois, in 1880. He was graduated from the high school of Leroy, and then took the general course in the University of Illinois. He was first employed at telegraphy and railroad work, and has been associated with the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Company since 1907. His first position was as bookkeeper, from which he was promoted to that of assistant cashier. Upon the reorganization of the bank in 1909 Mr. Kaufman was chosen its secretary, and one year later was made cashier, a position requiring a thorough knowledge of financial matters and banking regulations, as the Navajo-Apache Bank is one of the largest in the state and the Largest in Northern Arizona. Mr. Kaufman married Miss Mary Lynn Duggar. They have one little daughter, Jacqueline, and make their home in Winslow.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

LLOYD C. HENNING
LLOYD C. HENNING, manager of the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Company's branch at Holbrook, has been in Arizona more than a quarter of a century, his parents, who are now residents of Pinto, having been among the pioneers of that section. Mr. Henning became first prominently known in Arizona for the part he took in building up a number of the strong weekly papers in Navajo and Apache Counties and in his present position has hosts of friends throughout the northern part of the state. He is an energetic and tireless booster, takes great pride in the growth of Holbrook, and during his term as Secretary-Treasurer of the Holbrook Commercial Club, the growth of the town received considerable impetus. A little more than a year ago he was married in Ohio to Miss Esther Hess, a native of that state, and in Holbrook, where they have since made their home, they are very well known socially. Fraternally also Mr. Henning is prominent in Northern Arizona, being an active member of the Masons and Elks.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

J. E. COX,
J. E. COX, cashier of the Merchants and Stock Growers Bank of Holbrook, has a reputation for banking which preceded him to Arizona, and was, in fact, the incentive which caused the directors of the above bank to offer him the position of cashier. The record made by Mr. Cox while associated with the First National Bank of Albuquerque, N. M., was known outside that state, and when the prominent business men of Holbrook planned the forming of a company to start a bank there, the only man considered for cashier, when it should be completed, was J. E. Cox. The record which the Merchants and Stock Growers Bank has made under Mr. Cox's direction has fully equalled the expectations of those concerned and proven that the confidence they displayed in his ability was well deserved. Mr. Cox is a man interested in matters of public importance, in politics a Republican of some influence, but not an office seeker. He is a prominent member of the Elks and Masons. He was born in Kellogg, Iowa, educated there and at Moline, Illinois, and received his first knowledge of banking in The Moline National Bank, at Moline, Ill. He is the son of C. C. and Margaret A. Cox, and in 1905 was married to Miss Minnie Peterson. They have three children, Margaret, Louise and Anne. Mrs. Cox is intimately associated with church and charitable work in and about Holbrook
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors

THORWALD LARSON
THORWALD LARSON, attorney at law, was born in Levon, Utah, January 6, 1871. He is the son of George and Hannah Thompson Larson. Mr. Larson was educated at Salt Lake Seminary and the University of Uiah, and was a resident of that state until 1902, when he came to Arizona. When he was only 18 years of age he took his first position, as railroad clerk, which he held for three years, and at the age of 21 years he entered the office of Lessenger & Loaroff, at Ogden, to take up the study of law, and practiced successfully in the inferior courts of Weber County, Utah, during his student days. A year after coming to this state he made Holbrook his home, and he has practiced in Navajo County since that time. His reputation meantime has gradually become known far beyond the limits of his resident county, and his ability in his profession recognized. In the fall of 1911 he was the Democratic candidate for Judge of the Superior Court of Navajo. Mr. Larson has served for some years as Quartermaster Agent of the U. S. Army at Holbrook, but recently resigned that position to devote his entire time to the practice of his profession. He married Miss Mary H. Evarts.
Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors






Return To The Main Index Page