Genealogy Trails

Arizona Territorial Post Offices
Contributed by Postal History Foundation       
A service of Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State. -
Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records, a division of Secretary of State     Arizona Territorial Post Offices
   

Adamana, Apache County  
Cancelled postal card mailed from Adamana, Ariz. , March 31, 1909.
Adamana is a contraction of the name "Adam Hanna", who with Jim Cart, raised cattle in the area.  A post office was located at the ranch headquarters.  Adamana was also the name of a railroad stop for tourists who visited the nearby Petrified Forest.  Hanna later moved to Farmington, New Mexico where he later died.  The post office was established in 1896 and discontinued in 1910.

Aguila, Maricopa County   
Cancelled postal card mailed from Aguila, Ariz. , January 26, 1912. 
This small settlement on the railroad is named for a nearby peak, Pico del Aguila (Spanish for "Eagle's beak").  The post office was established on March 30, 1910, with Frank Sperger as the only known postmaster.

American Flag, Pinal County 
Cancelled postal stationery mailed from American Flag, July 7. 
The cancel is done with pen and ink, and there is a notation that the year is 1881.  A cattle ranch known as the American Flag Ranch was developed in 1882 by Isaac Lorraine where he lived for about 8 years.  He was a pioneer miner and rancher in the area.  The American Flag Post Office was discontinued after 10 years on July 16, 1890 with the creation of the town site of Oracle and the establishment of a post office there.

Apache, Cochise County    
Cancelled envelope mailed from Apache, Ariz. , September 12, 1910.
The return address is Chiricahua, Ariz.  Little remains of the community called "Apache", which was named in remembrance of the days of the Apache raids led by Geronimo.  Forty miles east of Douglas, it was a lonely outpost in the cattle country.  The San Bernardino Valley, on the south side of the Chiricahua Mountains, was sparsely settled.  Near this small community there was a monument erected in 1934 commemorating the surrender of. . .

Apache, Yavapai County    
Cancelled envelope mailed from Apache, Ariz. , September 12, 1910.
 The return address is Chiricahua, Ariz.  The post office was established on Jan.  7, 1873 with John A.  Meredith as postmaster.  The office was discontinued on Aug.  11, 1875.

Arivaca, Pima County   
Cancelled envelope mailed from Arivaca, Pima Co.  Ariz. , August 9, 1881. 
The post office was established on April 10, 1878.

Ash Fork, Yavapai County    
Cancelled postal card mailed from Ashfork (Ash Fork), Ariz. , Oct 4, 1910. 
The town is spelled with one word in the canceller.  Freight carried to Jerome traveled part way along Ash Creek.  It was so named because of a group of small ash trees.  The creek divided into three forks at its mouth and rejoined where the town of Ash Fork was built.  The original town burned in 1893, but was rebuilt on the other side of the tracks.

Aubrey, Mohave County    
Cancelled envelope mailed from Aubrey, Ariz. , February 10. 
The year is not shown in the cancellation, but probably is from the 1880s.  Aubrey, an important Colorado River steamer landing, established a post office on October 2, 1866 with Henry L.  Lightner as postmaster.  The landing was also called Aubrey City.  When the market for copper fell the place was abandoned and by 1878 only a post office, saloon and hotel, all under one roof, remained.  Lake Havasu now covers this location. 

Benson, Cochise County           
Cancelled stamp on an envelope dated in Benson, Ariz. , April 22, 1895,
Addressed in Chinese and English to Los Angeles, Cal.  Benson was a stagecoach station in the early days.  In March 1871 a detachment of the 19th U. S.  Cavalrymen had a fight here with Cochise and one hundred fifty Indians.  The cavalry would have been wiped out if reinforcements had not arrived.  In the picture below several families posed before departing Benson.  The Wells Fargo Express Office was in a separate building.

Benton, Greenlee County           
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Benton, Ariz. , March 9, 1905. 
The post office was established on October 10, 1903 and discontinued on October 31, 1907.

Bisbee, Cochise County           
Cancelled postal stationery entire with a Bisbee, Ariz. , flag cancel dated November 14, 1904. 
The letter was addressed to Willcox, Ariz.  In 1880 a small eastern mining firm known as Phelps Dodge and Co.  sent Dr.  James Douglas to purchase copper prospects in Arizona.  He bought property close to the Copper Queen.  The richest ore lay where the Copper Queen and Phelps Dodge properties joined.  Rather than pursue litigation over the ores the two companies merged as the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining. . .

Buckeye, Maricopa County     
Cancelled postal card mailed from Buckeye, Ariz. , April 8, 1906. 
Buckeye was named for the Buckeye Canal built by M. M.  Jackson in honor of his home state in Ohio.  Thomas Newton Clanton donated a quarter section along the canal for a town site.  When the post office was established in the Clanton household two years later, his daughter Cora J.  Clanton was named postmaster on March 10, 1888.  This settlement was originally known as Sidney although the name was never given to the post office.

Calabasas, Santa Cruz County     
Cancelled envelope mailed from Calabasa, Ariz. , March 7, 1886. 
The canceller appears to have no final "S" in the town name.  The area of Calabasas had been inhabited since the late 1600’s, under various peoples and names.  The Spanish name "Calabazas" was given from the wild gourds growing in this valley.  Sometime between 1797 and 1828, Calabasas became a ranch, was used by the Mexican military and became the approximate site of the Fort Mason, established in 1864. 

Casa Grande, Pinal County       
Cancelled envelope mailed from Casa Grande, Arizona.  January 26, 1889. 
The cancellation is in blue ink, and has an accompanying star canceller.  The thriving and prosperous town of Casa Grande was so named by the railroad because at the time of its naming it was the closest community on the railroad to the Casa Grande ruins.  Today, the ruins are a national monument.
 
Cave Creek, Maricopa County      
Cancelled postal stationery envelope mailed from Cave Creek, Ariz. , April 4, 1901. 
The post office was established April 28, 1890 and closed on November 20, 1895.  It reopened on August 29, 1896 as "Cavecreek", however the cover here shows it as two words.  In 1962 it switched back to the twoword name "Cave Creek".

Clifton, Greenlee County           
Envelope cancelled in pen and ink in Clifton, A.  T. , on December 13, 1875. 
Rich deposits of copper were discovered in the area by Lt.  John G.  Bourke in 1869 while he was on army duty.  In 1872, a group of explorers from Silver City, New Mexico established mines at the location.  It was later to become the Arizona Copper Company, acquired by Phelps Dodge & Co.  and developed into one of the world’s largest producing copper mines. 

Cochise, Cochise County             
Cancelled postal card mailed from Cochise, Ariz. , January 25, 1912. 
The settlement of Cochise was established around 1886 and named for the Chiricahua Apache Chief.  The post office, established in 1886, was short lived and was discontinued in 1887 with the mail sent to Dragoon.

Cottonia, Mohave County             
Cancelled postal card mailed from Cottonia, Ariz. , March 29, 1911.  The post office was established on May 12, 1910 and closed on April 12, 1911, when the name was changed to Lincolnia.

Courtland, Cochise County         
Cancelled postal card mailed from Courtland, Ariz. , November 3, 1909.  Courtland Young was one of the owners of the Great Western Mining Company established in 1909, by his brother, W.  J.  Young.  The post office was established on March 13, 1909 with Harry Locke as postmaster.  The Wells Fargo station was opened there in 1910.  The Courtland post office also provided living quarters for the postmaster.  The post office was discontinued on September 30, 1942.

Dragoon, Cochise County             
Cancelled envelope mailed from Dragoon, Arizona, April 19, 1882.  The post office was established on June 20, 1881.  This is the earliest known cover bearing a Dragoon postmark, although the post office had been open for ten months by this time.  Cassius M.  Hooker, who was the first postmaster, had been replaced by Woodson A.  Langhorne on Marche 24, 1882.  The 13 cent total postage includes ten cents for registration.

Eagar, Apache County       
Cancelled postal card mailed from Eagar, Ariz. , October 8, 1909.  There is a receiving cancellation from Nutrioso, Ariz. , October 8, 1909 as well.  John Eager, with his brothers and the Robertsons, homesteaded in Round Valley about 1878.  John moved to Fort Milligan, then the site of Eagar, where he lived for 25 years.  The town was established in 1888 on ground given to the Eagars.  The community was first called "Union", the name then changed to "Eagarville".  In 1892, the "ville" was dropped in renaming. . .

Elgin, Santa Cruz County             
Cancelled postal card mailed from Elgin, Ariz. , June 2, 1910.  The stamp is cancelled with pen and ink, and there is a receiving cancel from Portland, Oregon, dated Jun 7 of that year.  The message on the postcard reads: "Dear sister. . .  Why don't you write to us? I have looked for a letter for so long.  We are having a drouth [sic] here this year and the cattle are dieing [sic] very fast. "

Fairview, Graham County            
Cancelled postcard mailed March 31, 1911, from Fairview, Ariz.  This post office changed names several times in the course of its history.  It was first established as "Matthews" on February 9, 1897 and was discontinued on on May 1, 1906.  A few years later remaining residents petitioned to reopen the post office.  It was reestablished under the name "Fairview", but because another town already had the same name, it was later given its final name of "Glenbar" in 1917.  The post office was discontinued. . .

Flagstaff, Coconino County     
Cancelled postal card mailed from Flagstaff, Ariz.  on January 18, 1889, although the cancel date is not completely legible.  F. F.  McMillian arrived in 1876 and built a corral and shack near the present northern city limits because of a fine spring there.  A group of scouts awaiting the arrival of settlers camped nearby.  They stripped a lofty pine of its branches and bound an American flag to the top on July 4, 1876 in honor of Independence Day.  In 1881 postmaster Brannen had been credited with suggesting. . .

Fort Huachuca, Cochise County    
Cancelled postal card mailed from Fort Huachuca.  Ariz. , December 19, 1909.  Originally established as a military post under the name of Camp Huachuca.  This last specimen of an Arizona territorial postmark ties a one cent stamp to a picture postcard.  On the 19th of December 1909 he comments, "No Xmas cards here at present" and on the picture side he annotates, "my business just at present is, life in the army. "

Fort Thomas, Graham County      
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Fort Thomas, Ariz. , October 5, 1896.  The name Camp Thomas derives from that of Brig.  Fen.  Lorenzo Thomas.  The name was changed to Fort Apache in 1871 and again to Fort Thomas in 1877.  When Geronimo surrendered in 1886 that was the beginning of the end of Fort Thomas.  It was later abandoned in 1892.

Fortuna, Yuma County         
Cancelled envelope mailed from Fortuna, Ariz. , Sep 18, 1902.  The post office was established in 1896.  In 1904 it was discontinued and the mail was sent to Blaisdell, on the Southern Pacific Railroad Line.

Fredonia, Coconino County        
Cancelled postal card mailed from Fredonia, Ariz. , November 13, 1909.  The text reads: "Dear Cousin, Rec'd your welcome card.  Your irrigation dam is more like it than ours.  I certainly would like to see your old man come out.  Am herding sheep now.  It snowed 3 inches today.  Draw $50 a month.  Dan.  The post office was established on April 6, 1892.

Geronimo, Graham County         
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Geronimo, Ariz. , September 5, 1909.  This community on the Arizona Eastern Railroad was named for Geronimo who led Apache warriors in fights against the Mexicans.  The post office was established April 30, 1896 and discontinued on May 31, 1956.

Gila Bend, Maricopa County              
Cancelled envelope mailed from Gila Bend, Ariz. , August 8, 1904.  Fr.  Garces found a Native American Rancheria in 1774.  Years later a settlement began where grain was raised.  This colony became known as Gila Bend, located at the turning point of the river.  The town location later shifted when track for the railroad was laid away from the river where there was a stage station.  Gila Bend is still an agricultural town.

Glendale, Maricopa County           
Cancelled postal card mailed from Glendale, Ariz. , ?? 24, 1907.  The cancellation is incomplete with regard to the month.  The post office was established June 27, 1892 with Samuel B.  Stoner as postmaster.  It became a Wells Fargo station in 1903.

Guthrie, Greenlee County               
Cancelled envelope mailed from Guthrie, Ariz. , December 21, 1910.  This point on the Arizona and New Mexico railroad was named for Guthrie Smith who with J.  Duncan Smith sold land to the Arizona Copper Co.  In 1883, the railroad was built to reach its mines at Clifton.  Guthrie was a busy transportation point 60 years ago as freight was moved.  The post office was established February 6, 1901 and discontinued August 15, 1922.

Hardyville, Mohave County          
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Hardyville, A. T.  (Arizona Territory), April 18, 1867.  The envelope is cancelled by pen and ink, and the town and date are written by hand.  Hardyville became a distribution point on the Colorado River for goods brought upriver to be shipped overland to the mines.  Captain Hardy, who owned the store, ferry and toll road to Prescott, was appointed postmaster on January 17, 1865.  The office was closed in 1883.  Today, nothing remains of the small community. . . .
 
Kingman, Mohave County            
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Kingman, Arizona, June 11, 1890.  The town was named for the locating engineer, Lewis Kingman. 

Klondyke, Graham County     
Cancelled envelope mailed from Klondyke, Ariz. , July 16, 1909.  Prospectors returning from Alaska settled at this point and named it to commemorate their experiences in the Klondike.  The post office was established on July 22, 1907 with John Greenwood as postmaster.  The office was closed August 31, 1955.

Maricopa, Pinal County          
Cancelled post office form mailed from Maricopa, Pinal County , Arizona, March 17, 1885.  The cancellation is octagonal.  This was originally the junction for the main transcontinental railroad with the branch line into Phoenix.  The post office at Old Maricopa Station was changed to Maricopa in 1887.

Mineral Park, Mohave County     
Cancelled envelope mailed from Mineral Park, Arizona, April 11, 1882.  The rich abundance of metals in the area gave Mineral Park its name in 1870.  Mineral Park was the County  seat for a short time in 1873, but when mining production slowed down in 1882, Mineral Park became inactive and is now abandoned.  The mining camp established its post office on December 23, 1872 with Alder Randall as the first postmaster.

Nogales, Santa Cruz County        
Cancelled envelope mailed from Nogales, Ariz. , January 20, 1905.  The name Nogales is an old one, found on maps from 1859 to the present.  Jacob Isaacson, an itinerant peddler who had been in Arizona since 1875 built a small store straddling the ArizonaMexican border.  A post office was established in May 1882, called Isaacson.  The railroad was a mainspring of action which mostly involved mining.  The last spike was placed to connect the two ends of the railroad line in September of 1882. 

Nogales, Santa Cruz County              
Cancelled postal stationery entire with Wells, Fargo and Co's Express franking, mailed from Wells, Fargo in Nogales on May 7, 1894.  The blue cancellation is not clearly legible on the blue stamp, so the year date is not certain.  Nogales was the junction of the New Mexico, Arizona and Sonora Railway.  In the early days, the station straddled the international line.  Originally known as "Isaacson", a post office was established here in May 31, 1882.  The name was changed to Nogales on June 4, 1883.
 
Nutrioso, Apache County              
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Nutrioso, Ariz. , September 24, 1894.  The name Nutrioso so named because early settlers killed a beaver, (Spanish word “Nurtia”) and a bear, (Spanish word “oso”) in Dry Valley in 1875.  Nutrioso offered safety for Mormon settlers from Native Americans.  In 1880, settlers built a fort and on April 12, 1883 a post office was established.  The present post office at Nutrioso is located in the southeastern part of Apache County .
  
Ochoaville, Cochise County           

Oracle, Pinal County        
Cancelled envelope mailed from Oracle, Ariz. , July 17, 1902. 
The letter is addressed to the Gold Coast, West Africa.  Oracle, a small ranching and mining community, established its post office December 28, 1880 with James Branson as postmaster.  When he moved in 1883 the post office closed.  Edwin S.  Dodge, owner of the first lodging house on the Arcadia ranch, opened the post office again in his home on January 7, 1885.  The post office window still remains in the building now owned by the Oracle Historical. . .

Parker, Yuma County     
Cancelled postal card mailed from Parker, Ariz. , Jun 6, 1904.  The post office was established on January 6, 1871, with John Salt as the first postmaster.
 
Patagonia, Santa Cruz County             
Cancelled envelope mailed from Patagonia, Ariz. , November 14, 1908.  The post office was first established on May 7, 1866, but closed and reopened twice before its reestablishment on March 31st, 1900.
 
Phoenix, Maricopa County     
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Phoenix, Arizona, September 5, 1881.  The cancellation is hexagonal, and the "OE" in Phoenix are conjoined.  In 1867, Jack Swilling organized the Swilling Irrigation Canal Company from the waters of the Salt River, near the present Tempe.  The first post office in Phoenix was established on June 15, 1869, with J. W.  Swilling as postmaster.  The name Phoenix was given to the new settlement because it was expected to grow on top of the site of the ancient villages,. . .
    
Pinal, Pinal County           
Cancelled postal card mailed from Pinal, Ariz. , October, 1889.  The date is not legible in the cancellation.  The developing community of Pinal was an important stage station on the road to Globe.  When the Silver King Mine closed in 1888 Pinal also closed down and became the site of the Thompson Southwest Arboretum as an experimental plant research station.
   
Pinedale, Navajo County             
Cancelled postal card mailed from Pinedale, Ariz. , December 31, 1908.  Niels Mortenson began a Mormon settlement here in 1879.  Although it was first known as Mortenson, it was also referred to a Percheron because of the breed of stallion Mortenson and Peterson brought with them.  By 1888 the settlement was called Pinedale, the name it holds today because of the many pine trees around.
  
Prescott, Yavapai County             
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Prescott, Ariz. , Sep 3, 1885.  On May 30, 1864 the citizens held a meeting on Granite Creek and established the town.  Prescott resulted from the establishment of the territory of Arizona.  Gov.  John Goodwin proclaimed the seat of government to be near Fort Whipple.  The name Prescott was selected and honored William H.  Prescott, a prominent historian.  Prescott was the territorial capital from 1877 until 1889 and is also the seat of Yavapai County . 

Purdy, Greenlee County       
Cancelled postal card mailed from Purdy, Graham County , Ariz. , November 13, 1883.  The oval cancellation includes "Graham County ," which was true in part of 1883.  The post office moved across the river in October, 1883, into Greenlee County .
 
Quartzsite, Yuma County            
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Quartzsite, Ariz. , Feb 24, 1910.  The town of Quartzsite is located on the site of old Fort Tyson built in 1856 by Charles Tyson, for protection against the Native Americans.  Today, travelers may visit the grave of Hi Jolly or Hadji Ali, camel driver for Lt.  Edward Beale on his trip across Arizona.  Camels were brought to the U. S.  to aid the army in carrying supplies.  It was hoped the animals would establish a fast mail and express line from Ft.  Defiance,. . .
 
Redrock, Pinal County             
Cancelled post card mailed from Redrock (Red Rock), Ariz. , August 7, 1908.  The town spelling varied from one word to two words over the years.  The community was developed to service the Silver Bell smelter.  The post office was established in 1887 as "Red Rock".  The name was changed to "Redrock" (one word), November 30, 1895.  It remained with this spelling until June 1, 1950, when it again reverted to "Red Rock" (two words. )
 
Riverside, Pinal County           
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Riverside, Ariz. , September 3?, 1894.  There is a further cancel from Tucson on that date, as well as a "Due 2" marking and a Postage Due stamp.  A post office was established on October 17, 1877, with Charles D.  Putnam as postmaster.  The post office was changed to Kelvin on April 25, 1900.
    
Roosevelt, Gila County                  
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Roosevelt, Ariz. , July 15, 1909.  This location was originally the post office for the construction crew of the Roosevelt dam.  When water covered the initial site, the town of Roosevelt was moved to another location.  A tour truck from Globe to Roosevelt Lake, 1912.

Sacaton, Pinal County               
Cancelled postal card mailed from Sacaton, Ariz. , Pinal Co.  November 8, 1883.  The post office was established in January 1871.  The origin of the name "Sacaton" is in doubt.  The Pima Indian village may have been named for the meeting of the new and old branches of the Gila River at this point.  In 1857, the Sacaton Butterfield Station ended at this village.  Postmaster Cook, a Germanborn missionary and teacher, served the Pima Indians here.  He also established a Presbyterian mission.

 Safford, Graham County         
Cancelled envelope mailed from Safford, Arizona, July 12, 1881.  A group of farmers found the first American Colony in the Gila Valley in 1874.  They settled the site of Safford, naming it for Gov.  Anson Safford, the Territorial Governor and founder of its free education system, who was then visiting the valley.  A post office was set up in Bailey’s Store March 5, 1875 with Joshua Bailey as postmaster.  The County  seat of Safford was moved to Solomonville in 1883 but was returned to Safford in 1915. . . .
 
Saint Johns, Apache County       
Cancelled postal stationery entire with added adhesive mailed from Saint Johns, Arizona, Oct 17, 1888.  The cancel date is not totally clear.  Wilford Woodruff, president of the Church of LatterDay Saints, located a Mormon settlement on March 29, 1880 one mile north of Saint Johns.  However, Erastus Snow advised moving to higher ground adjacent to the Mexican settlement.  Saint Johns was made the County  seat in 1879 but was superseded by Springerville in 1880.  However, Saint Johns again became the County . . .

 San Carlos, Gila County             
Cancelled postal stationery entire used on Dec 30 in San Carlos, Ariz.  There is no year date in the cancel.  San Carlos Indian Reservation was established on Nov.  9, 1871 and suffered a reduction in territory when the Globe Mining District was formed.  Struggles among the Indians and the military ensued.  Indian agent John Clum gave sheep, cows and burros to the Indians hoping to keep them busy and avoid attacks.  The post office opened on Oct.  22, 1875.  Coolidge Dam backs up the Gila River and forms. . .

Scottsdale, Maricopa County             
Cancelled envelope mailed from Scottsdale, Ariz. , June 7, 1899.  The post office was established on February 20, 1897, with James L.  Davis as postmaster.

Show Low, Navajo County          
Cancelled envelope mailed from Showlow (Show Low), Ariz. , July 18, 1888.  The cancellation spells the town name in one word.  In 1875, Corydon B.  Cooley settled on Show Low Creek with his wife who was the daughter of Chief Pedro of the White Mountain Apaches.  The name of Show Low was given to the community when Cooley and his partner, Marion Clark, decided they could no longer do business together and agreed to settle the winner with a game of cards.  Clark proposed that the low card in the hand should. . .

Shultz, Pima County        
Cancelled envelope mailed from Shultz, Ariz. , March 28, 1898.  The small mining camp on the hill above the San Pedro River was developed by Frank Shultz around the end of 1872.  He built a small grocery store and opened the post office to accommodate his workers on July 12, 1894.  Not long in service, the post office was closed on May 15, 1902.

Snowflake, Navajo County    
Cancelled postcard mailed from Snowflake, Ariz. , August 19, 1906.  A transit cancel from Holbrook, Ariz.  also appears.  James Stinson, a rancher, sold property in July 1878 to William Flake.  Erastus Snow and twelve destitute families arrived from a settlement at Taylor which had failed.  A town site was surveyed on Flake’s property and the new community took the name Snowflake.  The post office was established as Snow Flake, two words, on June 27, 1881.

Solomonville, Graham County     
Cancelled postal card mailed from Solomonville, Ariz. , February 4, 1890.  The town was first called Munsonville, when William Munson built an adobe house and store here in 1873.  In 1876 Isadore Solomon bought Munson's buildings and added to them.  The local mail carrier suggested the name Solomonville and the post office was established on April 10, 1878.  Records show "Solomonsville" as the postmaster inserted an "S" in the handmade cancellation stamps.  The post office is now known as Solomon.
 
Somerton, Yuma County   
Cancelled postal card mailed from Somerton, Ariz. , August 24, 1903.  The post office was established on December 23, 1898, with Minnie E.  Case as postmaster.

Springerville, Apache County         
Cancelled postal card mailed from Springerville, Ariz. , August 28, 1909.  Merchant Harry Springer set up a store here in 1875.  He sold to and trusted outlaws with seed and feed on credit and soon went broke.  The Becker Brothers, pioneer merchants of the area, also served as postmasters.  This is the present day post office at Springerville.  The statue at left is “The Madonna of the Trail. ”

Strawberry, Gila County             
Cancelled envelope mailed from Strawberry, AT (Arizona Territory).  February 2, 1889.  The stamps are pen cancelled, and the post office name and date are handwritten.  In 1886, the first settlers in the community of Strawberry learned that the area had been named for a Tonto Chief as early as 1864 by Henry Clifton, a member of King S.  Woolsey’s second expedition.  It was later noted that Strawberry got its name from the many strawberries that used to grow there.  Strawberry is the site of the oldest. . .
  
Tempe, Maricopa County            
Cancelled envelope mailed from Tempe, Ariz. , November 1, 1898.  In 1871, Charles Trumbull Hayden , left Tucson where he lived since his arrival in 1857 on the first Butterfield Overland Mail coach.  He moved to the site of the future Tempe where he established a flour mill and a ferry across the river.  In 1882 Hayden's land was purchased by a group of Mormons who named the community Tempe in honor of the Vale of Tempe in Greece.  The post office was established April 25, 1872 as Hayden's Ferry.
  
Thatcher, Graham County             
Cancelled postal card mailed from Thatcher, Ariz. , December 31, 1909.  In 1881, John Moody bought the Conley Ranch and the following year was joined by four Mormon families.  Christopher Layton decided on a town site on higher land and bought it on October 9, 1885.  The name Thatcher was selected as a result of a visit at Christmas by Mormon Apostle, Moses Thatcher.  The post office was established on March 10, 1888 with Mrs.  Elizabeth Layton, postmaster.
 
Tonto, Gila County                 
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Tonto, Gila Co, Arizona, December 4, 1885.  The post office at Tonto was established on the Howell Ranch at the foot of a trail called Jumpoff.  It served the Cross7 Cattle Company.  The post office opened February 20, 1884 and closed June 6, 1902, with James B.  Watkins as its postmaster.  The Mormons abandoned the area on August 14, 1890.  This picture of the Tonto National Monument, an outstanding 25 room cliff dwelling built in the 1300’s by the Salado. . .

Tuba, Coconino County          
Cancelled postal card mailed from Tuba, Ariz. , 1910.  The post office was established as Tuba City in 1884, but the name was changed to "Tuba" in 1894.

Tucson, Pima County         
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Tucson, Ariz. , August 30, 1890.  Street cars drawn by mules, when the mules felt like it, were still in use in Tucson in 1901. 

Tucson, Pima County               
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Tucson, Ariz. , June 23, 1881.  Electric streetcars began operating in Tucson on June 1, 1906 as a replacement for the horse and mule drawn streetcars.  For over twentyfour years electric streetcars transported Tucsonans through bustling shopping and residential areas.  In 1903, a petition to replace the streetcars with buses narrowly passed the Tucson City Council.  At 12:00 midnight on December 31, 1930 rail streetcar service was ended.

Washington, Santa Cruz County         
Cancelled postal stationery entire with added adhesive stamps mailed from Washington, Ariz. , December 15, 1896.  A post office was established on May 13, 1880 and later changed to Duquesne, but discontinued in 1920.

Wellton, Yuma County    
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Wellton, Ariz. , October 12, 1907.  When the railroad came through the region, wells were needed to supply trains with water.  Several deep wells were sunk, hence the name, Wellton.  On the Gila River, just west of Wellton, is the location which Father Kino, who built a chain of missions in the southwest, referred to as San Pedro, in 1699.

White River, Navajo County        
Cancelled envelope mailed from White River, Ariz. , November 11, 1904.  An early name for the White River was the Sierra Blanca River.  The settlement is the current headquarters for the Apache Indian Reservation on the north fork of the White River.  The post office was established as White River, (two words) on November 19, 1896 but changed to a oneword spelling in 1906.

Young, Gila County     
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Young, Ariz. , February 20, 1909.  The post office was established on June 25, 1890 and was named "Young" after the family of the first postmistress, Miss Ola Young, daughter of Silas Young, an early rancher.  She is the longest serving postmaster in the state of Arizona, with a tenure of 49 years and seven months.

Yuma, Yuma County    
Cancelled postal stationery entire mailed from Yuma, A. T. , in October.  No year is included in the cancel but it probably is from the 1880s, and the date is not legible.  Known both as Arizona and Colorado City under the New Mexico Territory and also as Arizona City for four years until 1873, under Arizona Territory, Yuma should not be confused with Fort Yuma on the California side of the Colorado River.  The territorial prison, which was built in 1875, is now a historical point of interest. 

Return To The Main Index Page