Biographies

Chicot County Arkansas Genealogy Trails


Transcribed by Renae Donaldson from "Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas" published by Goodspeed Publishing of 
Chicago, IL in 1890.


Mark Allen D. Brawner Hugh N. Brooks J. E. Bryan
Henry F. Clark John Curtis Connerly Robert H. Connerly John T. Crenshaw
John B. Daniels Anthony H. Davies Felix G. Davis William W. Ford
Richard M. Gaines John W. Gordon Herbert W. Graves Edwin S. Hilliard
Samuel F. Hornor John H. Lee Thomas N. Llewellyn Victor M. Johnson
A. N. McDaniel Philander McDermott



     MARK ALLEN
, physician and surgeon, of Grand Lake, Ark., was born in Raleigh, N. C., in 1838. He is the son of Solomon and Helen (Warren) Allen, natives of Petersburg, Va., and North Carolina, respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation, and moved with his parents to North Carolina when quite young, and emigrated to Mississippi in 1845, where he resided with his wife and six children: Mark, John, Henry, Sophronia, Ella and Solomon, for many years. He lived to be sixty-three years old, dying at McKinley, Ala. The children are all dead except Mark and Henry, who resides in Santo Tomas, Central America. Mark Allen passed his youth in La Fayette County, Miss., and had excellent advantages in every way, attending school until he completed the course. Afterward he entered the University of Michigan, attending the medical lectures of that famous college. He then went to the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, where he graduated with honor. Having thus perfected himself in his chosen profession, he returned home and commenced to practice medicine in Morehouse Parish, La., where he prospered until the breaking out of the war. Dr. Allen enlisted in the Confederate army in the month of September, 1861, and remained three years, taking part in the battle of Shiloh and others equally famous. His health failed so seriously from the exposure in the army, that at the expiration of three years he was compelled to leave and return to his practice in Morehouse, where he remained until 1868. In 1865 he married Miss Virginia Lewis, daughter of Frank and Elisebeth Lowry, both of whom were natives of Virginia. To this union were born six children: Mark, Lula, Willie, Grace, Frank and Daisy. Of these children only two daughters are living at the present time. In 1868 Dr. Allen moved to British Honduras, where he engaged in sugar raising and general merchandising. Bad health compelled him to sell out his business and move away, after remaining there only one year. He then moved to McKinley, Ala., where he devoted a great deal of attention to farming and mercantile business. In 1874 he moved with his family to Chicot County, Ark., and resumed the practice of medicine, having from the first a large and lucrative practice, and is to-day one of the most successful physicians in that county. He also farms some, and owns his residence and office in the village of Grand Lake. In politics he is an ardent Democrat, a member of the L. of H. and K. of P., and is deservedly a popular and successful man.

     D. BRAWNER, merchant and farmer of Vaucluse post-office, and resident of Oden Township, was born in Arkansas, one mile from where Lake Village now stands, in the year 1850, being one of the four children born to his parents, William B. and Drusilla Brawner, natives of Virginia, and Mississippi, respectively. The father moved to Arkansas in 1828, being one of the pioneers, and settling while yet the country about here was in point of fact a "forest primeval." He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and though now in his seventy-eighth year is still active, and is a thoroughly temperate and well preserved old gentleman. The mother died in 1886, at the age of fifty-eight, and they both were members of the Baptist Church. Of their four children, only two are living: D. Brawner and Eola (wife of P. H. Ford). D. Brawner was educated in St. Louis, Mo., at the University, and at Dallberry's Commercial College, Louisiana. At the age of twenty he commenced working for himself as a farmer, an occupation which he continued to follow for three years. He is engaged in mercantile business, and has been for the past six years. He married Miss Sallie Parker, of Arkansas, daughter of Isaac M. and Mary (Bingham) Parker. Of this union have been born eight children, four of whom are now living, viz.: Parker, Robert, Reuben and Edward. Mrs. Brawner is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr Brawner has served as sheriff for a number of years, and in 1880 was elected deputy assessor.

     HUGH N. BROOKS is a butcher by trade and an enterprising resident of Dermott, Ark. He was born near the mouth of Red River in Louisiana, on March 25, 1852, being a son of John T. Brooks, who was born near Cape Girardeau, Mo., January 8, 1816, being reared, educated and married there. He followed merchandising and farming there for some time, after which he moved to Louisiana, and settled in Point Coupee Parish, where he made large investments and became prominent as a dealer in real estate. He was a Roman Catholic in belief, although not a member of the Church and socially was a Master Mason, and politically a Democrat, being an active worker in the interests of his party, by which he was offered may positions of honor and trust but declined them all, as he had no desire for office. His death, which occurred January 18, 1869, was a source of much regret to all who had the pleasure of knowing him for he was a man who had always tried to do as he would be done by, and his many noble qualities of mind and heart were seen and recognized. His parents were born in Ireland, and emigrated to the United States in 1776, settling in South Carolina, moving from there to Missouri in 1799, where they spent the remainder of their lives, dying at an advanced age. The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was severly wounded in battle, the wound resulting fatally after many years of disability. The mother of Hugh N. Brooks, whose maiden name was Mary J. Evans, was a native of Missouri, born March 27, 1826, and was a daughter of Berry C. and Nancy (Taylor) Brooks, the latter dying in Drew County, Ark., September 16, 1881, having removed there from Louisiana after the death of her husband. John T. Brooks and his wife were married in Missouri, in 1842, and became the parents of fifteen children - nine sons and six daughters - twelve of whom grew to maturity, and five are now living: John T. (a farmer of Louisiana), Hugh N., Mary J., Sevaris R. and Minnie B. (who is going to school in Fayetteville, Ark.). Those deceased are: Mark, William B., Henry M., Perry E., James E., George J., Henry M., Jr., Annie and Narcissus. Hugh N. Brooks was reared in Point Coupee Parish, La., but as the country was very wild and thinly settled, and school-houses very few, his educational advantages were quite meager. At the age of eighteen years he commenced the battle of life for himself as a trader and dealer in live stock, more especially cattle, and after being thus engaged for some time he went to Texas, and for one year resided near Fort Worth, after which he returned to Arkansas, and in 1887 settled in Desha County, where he opened a small farm, which is still in his possession. Besides this property he has landed interests in Louisiana at and near his father's old homestead, but he has long since given up farming, and is now engaged in the butchering business at Dermott. He is without doubt, a self-made man, and during his walk through life has risen from adversity to the enviable place he now occupies in business as well as social circles. He is a sober, industrious and honest gentleman, creditable alike to his sisters and brothers, and to the community in which he lives. He has always been a stanch Democrat, and in his religious belief is a Roman Catholic, but not a member of the church.

     J. E. BRYAN, of the firm of Carlton & Bryan, general merchants and planters of Luna Landing, Chicot County, Ark., was born in North Carolina, in 1854, and is the ninth child of the family of twelve children born to L. B. and Amoning Bryan, both natives of the State of North Carolina, and who were called away from earthly scenes while J. E. was quite small. He was educated in the common schools of Missouri, and at the age of sixteen commenced life for himself as a farmer and trader. He remained in Missouri until 1875, at which time he moved to Arkansas, locating in Chicot County, engaging in planting and general merchandising, a business which he followed at that place until 1882, when he went to St. Louis, staying only one year, when he came to Chicot County, settling at Luna Landing, and forming the partnership above mentioned. Mr. Bryan is a self-made man, and has met with grand success in all his business ventures, and is socially a most agreeable, cultured and intellectual gentleman. In the spring of 1880 Mr. Bryan married Miss Lizzie Wallace, daughter of Eliza Wallace, and to them have been born five children, viz: Lem, Vivie, Inola, Evan and Zora. Mrs. Bryan is a member of the Catholic Church. Of the twelve children born to the parents of Mr. Bryan, only the following are living at the present writing, viz: Gatcy, Sarah (Mrs. R. C. Barrett), John, Lizzie (widow of Mr. Hogan), E. A., and Annie (wife of John Barrett).

     HENRY F. CLARK is of Scotch-Irish extraction, and is a man who has lived an energetic and useful life, acquiring thereby a prominent place among the progressive farmers of Chicot County, Ark. He was born in Hinds County, Miss., October 23, 1835, and is a son of Archibald Clark, a native of North Carolina, whose birth occurred in the year 1807. He was also a farmer by occupation, and, at the time of his death, in 1863, he was a prominent member of the Baptist Church, and a Master Mason. He was an Old Line Whig in politics, and died in Meridian, Miss. His wife Nancy A. (McGraw) Clark, was born in Wilkinson County, Miss., in 1812, of Scotch patents, and died, in Hinds County, Miss., in 1876. Their marriage took place in Wilkinson County, Miss, in 1829, and the result of their union was a family of ten children: Angus Marion (a banker of Fresno, Cal.), Melissa E. (the widow of Judge J. F. Lowry, of Corsicana, Tex.), Henry F., and Nancy A. (wife of J. B. Robertson, a farmer of Hinds County, Miss.), are the only ones living. Those deceased are: Susan E. (wife of John McDonald), Flora P., John H., James W., Baldwin H. and Robert H., the last four dying in Hinds County, Miss. Henry F. Clark's youth was spent in this county and State, and here he received the advantages of the common schools, and commenced life for himself at the age of twenty years, as a farmer and overseer, but as early as 1859, he removed to Arkansas, but after remaining one year returned to Mississippi. In 1869 he returned to Arkansas, and settled in Chicot County, near his present place of abode, and here he has followed the occupation of farming ever since, being the owner of 120 acres of good land, seventy-five of which are under cultivation, all well adapted to raising corn and cotton. In 1861 Mr. Clark enlisted in the Confederate army, in Company G, Eighteenth Mississippi Volunteer Infantry, Col. Burt Barksdale's brigade, Longstreet's corps, and was in the battles of Manassas, all the preliminary battles around Richmond, both battles of Fredericksburg, Sharpsburg, Ball's Bluff, Gettysburg, where he was wounded in the right shoulder by a minie-ball, which disabled him from further service. He had the ball extracted from his shoulder in 1878 having carried it for fifteen years. He is an uncompromising Democrat, sincerely interested in the success of tariff reform, and he and Mrs. Clare are active workers in the Presbyteian Church. They are charitable, to the extent of their ability, arn are highly honored residents of the county. They were married, in Chicot County, Ark., October 22 1874, his wife being Mrs Isalba (Heard) McDermott, a native of Mississippi, and the daughter of Dr. Heard, an eminent physician and surgeon. Their union has been blessed in the birth of the following children: Frank L. and Allie M. (who died in 1880, at the age of three years). Mrs Clarh has three children by her first husband, Benjamin S. McDermott, who died in 1871, their names being Mabel R. (wife of W. D. Trotter, a merchant at Dermott), Matt A., also a merchant there, and Lizzie L. (wife of Burns Mason, a farmer of Chicot County).

     JOHN CURTIS CONNERLY, a young attorney of Lake Village, Chicot County, was born in Selma, Ala., June 25, 1856, being the eldest of the seven children born to the union of D. C. B. and Ellen (Taylor) Connerly, of Newberry District, S. C. D. C. B. Connerly, in 1837, settled at Selma, afterward attending school at the University of Alabama. Arriving at the age of maturity, engaged in ministerial duties of the Methodist Episcopal Church, taking charge of Centenary Male Institute at Summerfield, Dallas County, Ala., a positiion which he retained four years, at the end of which time he resigned to enlist in the Confederate army as private in Capt. John T. (now United States Senator) Morgan's company, continuing to serve until the close of the war. He was engaged in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, Franklin, and many others, and was taken prisoner and was paroled at Selma, Al. After peace was again restored through the country, he returned home, living on his farm near Summerfield. At that place he founded Stonewall institute, of which he was principal and taught until 1875, in which year he emigrated to Huntsville, Ala. In the winter of 1875 he moved to Arkadelphia, Ark., January 10, 1875. Here he established a school, teaching for twelve months, and in 1878 moved to Hamburg, Ashley County, where he founded a high school, which is now under the charge of Profs. J. H. and J. S. Gladney. After acting as principal of this school until January 1882, Mr. Connerly moved to Austin, Tex., his health having failed very much. His death occurred at Camden. Ark., June 12, 1887, while he was on his way to the house of his son John Curtis. Mrs. Connerly, the wife of D. C. B., breathed her last in June 1884. Of the seven children born to them, seven are living now, viz.: John Curtis, Alice May, Frank L., Mary K. (wife of C. L. Mead), Robert H., Bessie L. (who married James W. Greer), and Fred T. John Curtis was educated first under his father's instruction, which prepared him for college, and at the age of twenty-four entered the University of Alabama, at Tuscaloosa, where he remained one year, studying the sophomore and junior courses at the same time. After finishing school, Mr. Connerly returned to Hamburg and entered the office of Hon. J. W. Van Gilder, State Senator, reading law for six months, and in August 1882 was licensed to plead law in the State of Arkansas by the circuit court of Ashley County, and has since been licensed to practice his profession in all the courts, both Federal and State, of the State. February, 1886, he married Miss Katie P. Kramer, of New Orleans, daughter of Judge P. J. Cramer. His business partner is his brother Robert L., who is a rising young attorney of unusual talent and ability. Mr. Connerly has in his possession a considerable amount of real estate. 

     ROBERT H. CONNERLY, one of the most popular, learned and successful young attorneys in the State of Arkansas, is a brother and law partner of John C. Connerly. He was born near Summerfield, Ala., the son of D. C. B. and Ellen (Taylor) Connerly. Like his brother, he first received instructions at home from his father, who was a brilliant scholar and well calculated to lay the foundation for the successful career of his children, and later Robert entered the University at Austin, Tex., commencing life for himself, at the early age of nineteen, as a farmer. He then went to New Orleans, and was with his brother, Frank, who is connected with the Granite works of that city. In January, 1886, Mr. Connerly moved to Lake Village, reading law under his brother, John C. In the fall of 1886 he was elected county surveyor, an office which he held until the fall of 1888, at which time he was admitted to the bar, and the same year entered into a partnership with his brother, John C. Connerly. The firm do a large business, especially real estate and chancery, and are prominent in Lake Village, a place which boasts one of the strongest and best bars in the State of Arkansas.

     JOHN T. CRENSHAW is a native Tennesseean, born November 30, 1847, and is a son of Dr. William Crenshaw, of Scotch parentage, born, reared and educated in the State of Tennessee. He was an eminent physician and surgeon, a graduate of the Louisville Medical College, and also graduated from the literary department of a Nashville (Tenn.) college. About the year 1850 he removed to Louisiana, and settled in Avoyelles Parish, the country at that time being almost a wilderness, and here actively practiced his profession for about ten years, after which he retired from the profession and gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. He became a very extensive planter, and at one time owned two large plantations, but during the war, was almost ruined financially, and in 1868 came to Arkansas, and resumed the practice of medicine in Drew County, continuing until his death in 1878. He was a Democrat, and although not a member of any church, was a man of strict morality. He was married in Tennessee to Miss Henrietta E. Mickelberry, a native of Shelby County, and by her became the father of two children: John T. and Hattie E (wife of H. C. Petticord). Mrs. Crenshaw was a daughter of John Mickelberry, and died January 5 1852. After her death Dr. Crenshaw married a Mrs. Ross, by whom he had a family of two sons and seven daughters: Sallie, Mary, Benjamin, Mattie, Marcia, Bradley and Clara (living), and Susan and James (deceased). John T. Crenshaw received the principal part of his education in Louisiana, but in 1866 attended college in Lebanon, Tenn. During the latter part of the war he served for about six months in the Second Louisiana Cavalry, and afterward, in 1867, started out in life for himself, as a planter and plantation manager in Louisiana, but in 1869 removed to Arkansas, and settled in Chicot County, where he became a salesman and depot agent. After about a year spent in this manner, he entered mercantile life on his own account, continuing until 1884, since which time he has been a salesman and cotton buyer, and to some extent engaged in farming, being the owner of two small farms in Chicot County. Besides this, he owns some good business property in the town of Dermott, and as a business man, is intelligent and active, and enjoys the respect and confidence of the citizens among whom he has so long lived. While in Shelby County, Tenn., he was married, Novemeber 28, 1875, to Miss Susan E. Adams, a native of De Soto County, Miss., though reared in the former county. She is a daughter of Collin and Francina (Brown) Adams, Tennesseeans, born May 26, 1814, and January 5, 1815, respectively, and are now residents of Memphis, Tenn. Mrs. Crenshaw was educated in this city. Her union with Mr. Cresnhaw has resulted in the birth of two sons and one daughter: William T., Ruby F. and Agnew G. 

     JOHN B. DANIELS is possessed of those advanced ideas and progressive principles regarding agricultural life which are always the chief characteristics of a successful farmer. His birth occurred in Wilkinson county, Miss., December 24, 1852, and he is a son of William A. Daniels, also a Mississippian, born about the year 1821, his death occurring March 25, 1868. He was a successful farmer, but lost heavily by unfortunated business investments which he made in his latter days. He was collecting and disbursing officer for his section, under the Confederate Government, during the war, and after the war was a member of the Legislative body of his State during 1866 and 1867, discharging his duties faithfully and in a highly satisfactory manner, and being a Democrat, sacrificed much for the success of the party. He was a Master Mason, a member of the Presbyterian Church, being elder in the same for many years prior to his detah, and was noted for his piety and religious devotion, living an exemplary Christian life under all circumstances and conditions. He left to his children the most honorable and valuable of all heritages - a good name and an unblemished record in both public and private life. The maiden name of his wife was Miss Caroline L. Buford, a native of Amite County, Miss., where she was reared and educated, but her marriage to Mr. Daniels took place in Granvill, Ohio, while she was there finishing her literary education at college. Their union resulted in the birth of the following children: Adella S. (wife of Robert Lowry, of Texas), John B., Ida I. (wife of N. S. Anderson, a farmer of Mississippi), Lily A. (widow of J. B Krisel, a resident of Chicot County, Ark.), William P. (a farmer and merchant of Chicot County), Ernest W. ( a resident of Tacoma, Wash.), and Coral L. (wife of W. S. Adams, residing in Chicot County). Robert J. died in Mississippi in 1854. Mrs. Daniels is living on the old homestead near Dermott, Ark., to which she removed with her husband and family in 1858. John B. Daniels was reared in Chicot County, and here obtained a fair academic education. From the time he was sixteen until he attained his majority he superintended his mother's business, after which he began for himself as a farmer, and as such still continues. He was in the mercantile business in 1878-1879, but at the end of that time retired from this business and turned to his farm, to which he is devoting all his time and attention. He has a fine body of land near Dermott, embracing about 800 acres, 300 of which are under cultivation, well improved, and adapted to the raising of grain, cotton and grasses, but the most of the land is devoted to cotton and corn. He is, to a small extent, engaged in the stock business, raising cattle, hogs and sheep. He is a member of the K. of H., is a Democrat in his political view, and for several years has been deputy collector of taxes. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is an elder, occupying a prominent position in the councils of his church at Dermott. They are a truly Christian family, are devoted to church and Sunday-school work, both at home and abroad. Mr. Daniels is an honorable, high-minded gentleman, whose influence for good reaches far beyond the narrow confines of the community in which he resides. On October 29, 1885, he was married to Miss Annie Canon, a native of Shelby County, Tenn., and a daughter of John Q. and Mary E. (Smith) Canon, who were born in South Carolina and Shelby County, Tenn., in 1820 and 1839 respectively. The former's death occurred in 1876, and the latter's in Crittenden County, Ark., in February, 1884, she, at the time of her death, being the wife of Joseph Williams, of Shelby County, Tenn., whom she married in 1979, removing with him to Arkansas in 1883. Mr. Daniels and wife have two children: Bertie C., born September 7, 1887, Robert J., born August 29, 1889. 

    ANTHONY H. DAVIES was born at Derby, Conn., April 28, 1798. When quite young he came South, and first located at Nashville, Tenn., where he found employment as book-keeper with a firm by the name of Flowers & Co.; after having served faithfully in that capacity for several years, he moved to Columbia, Ark., where he engaged in merchandising for some time, gaining the confidence and esteem of all whom he came in contact with. Finding the business too close and confining, he sold out, and while on a visit to Tuscumbia, Ala., he fell in love with and married a Miss Aldridge, by whom he had four children. After having spent five or six years in Alabama, he returned to Arkansas and purchased a plantation on Lake Chicot, which he named Lake Hall plantation. While on a visit to Louisville, Ky., Mrs. Davies was taken sick and died July 19, 1839. Three years later, on February 12, 1841, he married a Miss Mildred P. Gaines, of Boone County Ky., who at the time was visiting her brother, R. M. Gaines, at Natchez, Miss. Immediately after the marriage, Mr. Davies returned to Lake Hall, where he lived some twenty odd years, a useful and honorable life, and on September 10, 1862, died of flux. He was for many years judge of the county court, over which office he wielded the sword of justice with an unerring hand and a clear conscience. He was a man of many fine traits of character and undoubted integrity, and, like Abou Ben Adhem, was one who loved his fellow men. He was also a loving husband and a good and kind father. At his death Chicot County lost one of her most worthy and foremost citizens. By his second marriage he had eight children: Pollard, Harpin, Fannie Walker, Fredrick Walter, Anthony Legrand and Abner Gaines (twins), Robert Geddes, Minnie Pollard and Joseph.

      FELIX G. DAVIS was born in Illinois in 1819, and is the son of Nathaniel and Hulda Davis, natives of Virginia and Mississippi, respectively. The father received an excellent medical education in the State of Virginia, and was a physician of prominence. He emigrated to Arkansas in 1826, locating near Helena, and in 1830 settled in Chicot County, where he breathed his last in 1840. Felix passed his youth in Arkansas. When sixteen years old he attended college at St. Charles, Mo., and after completing a four years' course, returned home on account of the ill health of his father. Mr. Davis was married in 1848 to Miss Mary Lamb, daughter of Thomas and Mary Lamb, both of whom were natives of England. Of this union were born four children, only one of whom is now living - Gertrude. In 1886 Mrs. Davis was called away from the scenes of earth leaving a husband who still mourns his loss. Mr. Davis became a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in the year 1887. He has also devoted much of his time to farming, owning a valuable plantation. Mr. Davis was at one time elected to represent his district in the Legislature; was justice of the peace for twenty years. He is a man of great culture and intellectual force, and one who is highly esteemed throughout Chicot County.

      WILLIAM W. FORD, a prominent citizen and popular man in Lakeport, Chicot County, Ark., was born in Louisville, Ky., in 1838 and is a son of Nicholas and Martha (Page) Ford. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania, and the father of Kentucky, and the latter had excellent educational advantages, was a successful merchant, and acquired both fame and "worldly gain" during his life. He died when thirty-eight years old, and when William W., was only six years old. William was in school in Paris, Ky., during his boyhood, and afterward near Frankfort, the same State, and emigrated to Arkansas in 1858, where his mother once owned a farm, until 1862, at which date he enlisted in the army, and was present at many of the famous battles. At Arkansas Post he was captured and taken to Springfield, and when released returned to Kentucky, and remained there until the close of the war, after which he settled in Chicot County, Ark. He married Miss Annie Milton, daughter of Bushrod and Mary Milton, and to them have been born two children, Pattie P. and Catherine, both of whom are still living. Mr. Ford is in the mercantile business, having for a partner Mr. Jeff Peak. Besides, he is largely interested in stock-raising, and owns much valuable real estate. Mr. Ford is a Democrat, and takes an active part in the welfare of the county where he makes his home; is a Mason and a member of the Episcopal Church.

     RICHARD M. GAINES, one of the leading attorneys of Lake Village, and a brother of Abner Gaines, a prominent man of ths county, is a son of John H. And Hellen Gaines. Richard was born in Chicot County, in the year 1855, was educated at Locust Dale Academy, Madison County, Va., and was there prepared for the senior class for the University of Virginia, but instead of attending the last-named school as he expected, came home in 1874, teaching and farming until such time as he began reading law under Mayor James F. Robinson, and was licensed to plead at the bar in January, 1879, locating in this village, where he has since followed his profession very successfullly, numbering to-day among the prominent lawyers in the State. In 1880 Mr. Gaines was elected county treasurer, and again in 1882, making in all four years that he held that responsible position. He was married to Miss Mary P. Chapman in 1888, who is a faithful member of the Episcopal Church, and a thoroughly attractive lady. Politically, he is a strong Democrat, and favors all public improvements that promise comfort, health, and happiness to the citizens. He owns about 1,500 or 2,000 acres of valuable farming land that is in an excellent state of cultivation, and is, taking all his estates and practice into consideration, a wealthy man.

    JOHN W. GORDON was born in the State of Alabama, in 1857, and is the son of J. C. and Alabama Gordon. The father moved to Arkansas in 1859, settling where he now lives, and owns a valuable estate which is well cultivated. He was twice married, and by his first marriage had four children, all of whom are dead. His second wife is the mother of this subject and to this union there were likewise born four children, of whom John W. and Victoria (Mrs. Emmett Gorman) are living. The father died in 1867. He served four years in the Confederate army during the late war, and then turned his attention to farming. The mother is still on the old homestead. John W. was educated in the common schools of Chicot County, and at the age of eleven commenced to work for himself, as a laborer on a farm, working thus until he reached his eighteenth year, at which time he emigrated to the Lone Star State, being while there a cowboy on the plains, and in 1877 returned home to take charge of his mother's farm, on which he has resided up to the present date. In 1884 he married Miss Flora A. Gorman, daughter of John F. and Flora Gorman. To Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have been born four children, viz.: Ada T., Mary E., Abner G. and George D. Mrs. Gordon is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The subject of this sketch is a very public-spirited man, generous, open-hearted and kind. He is a Democrat, and has served as deputy sheriff for four years.

    HERBERT W. GRAVES of Sterling, Chicot County, Ark., was born in Windham County, Vt., on February 13, 1843, and is a son of Alpus and Fannie (Goodell) Graves, who were natives of Massachusetts and Vermont, respectively. The father was a minister of the Congregational Church, was a graduate of Union College in New York, and also attended the East Windsor Theological Seminary, Conn., and was a prominent and loved minister of that denominaton for a period of forty-five years, the greatest part of that time being passed in the States of Iowa and Minnesota. He has now retired from his labor, and resides in Memphis, Tenn., and is seventy-four years old, and the mother is only two years younger. Herbert W. Graves passed most of his youth in Iowa, having moved there with his father at the age of eleven, and attending good schools, where he received a thorough education. At the age of twenty-one Mr. Graves began life for himself, and gave his attention to mercantile business. After clerking three years he formed a partnership with his former employers. In the fall of 1867 he emigrated to Chicot County, Ark., where he resides at the present writing. Upon his arrival in this place he opened a mercantile business at Columbia, an at the expiration of one year was elected county clerk of Chicot County, and held this important office for ten years. When he moved to Sterling he opened up an extensive mercantile business, and carries a splendid stock of goods. He also owns valuable farm property at Sterling and in the State of Louisiana, and is engaged in planting and mercantile business at both places.

    EDWIN S. HILLIARD, planter and merchant of Grand Lake, Ark. He is very prominent in the county of Chicot. He was born in Henry County, Ky., in 1850, and is a son of Isaac H. and Marian (Brannin) Hilliard, the former being a native of North Carolina and Virginia, ant the latter of the Blue-Grass State. The father was a planter and merchant, being one of the firm of Hilliard, Summers & Co., of New Orleans, La. The only two surviving children born to their union were Isaac H. (who died in 1882) and Edwin S. Edwin's early life was spent partly in Arkansas and partly in Kentucky, where he attended school through most of the years until he reached manhood. He was compelled to begin life for himself at an early age, because of the war which had financially ruined his father. For two years he worked in Louisville, Ky., and in 1869 moved to Chicot County, where he has resided ever since, and where he owns some valuable lands. Besides the other branchs of business in which he is engaged, Mr. Hilliard is beginning to raise stock, and has a store where he sells general merchandise. In politics he is a Democrat, but takes no active part. He is a man of great public spirit, and very popular in the community in which he resides.

    SAMUEL F. HORNOR. Since the history of any county must necessarily be dependent upon the lives of great men who reside there for the interest with which the public peruse its pages, such men as Samuel F. Hornor are deservedly honored and beloved by the citizens, whose interests they
advance, both in a social and business way. He was born in this county, being, therefore both by natural claims and preference, among the real men of this locality, and by his personal success and desire to be of assistance to those less blessed by circumstances and financial achievements, he has endeared himself to the people throughout the county. An active member of the Democratic party, and a leader in public enterprises and State questions; he has been magistrate of his district for the past twelve years, and was at one time school director, manifesting a lively regard for educational matters. He is the youngest of a family of five children, and his days have been most agreeable passed within the limits of his native State. At the age of twenty the subject of this sketch took upon his own shoulders the burden and responsibility of "bread-winning," and at once turned his attention to farming. In 1874 he married Miss Alice M. Wighom, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Long) Wighom, and of this union have been born six children: Mary E., Theodore S., Mattie M., Hattie B., John S., and a baby not yet named, all of whom are still living. Mr Hornor is the fortunate possessor of a valuable plantation, which yields a princely annual income.

    VICTOR M. JOHNSON is a prominent and highly respected citizen of Lakeport, Ark., and the history of Chicot County gains much of interest by claiming for its pages one so deserving of praise and admiration. Mr. Johnson was born in this county in 1863, and is a son of Lycurgus and Lydia (Taylor) Johnson, both of whom were natives of the far-famed Blue-Grass State. The father gave most of his attention to tilling the soil, and was a gentleman of superior education, having graduated with honors at Bardstown Ky., and ranking among the Kentuckians noted for hospitality, dignity and social culture. He amassed a large fortune during the span of years alloted him, and emigrated to Chicot County, Ar., where he engaged in planting, and passed the latter portion of his life surrounded by the peaceful and beautiful charms of a rural life, free from the busy din of city life, and where, surrounded by all the comforts that wealth can provide, he lived happily and contentedly until he reached his fifty-eighth year. To them were born twelve children, seven of whom are now living , Victor being the youngest of the family. The names of these children are: Joel, John H., Bent T., Mary J., Linnie, Theodore, Annie, Carl, Walter L., Julia J. and Victor M. Victor attended school during a great part of his early life, and when older entered the Arkansas University, at Little Rock, where he remained a number of years; he attended Bellevue Hospital at New York, and graduated from that celebrated school in 1888, at which date he returned home to practice medicine, and has been kept busy with his chosen profession up to the present time, and is considered an excellent physician. Besides he has a good deal of real estate, which is valuable and is in a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Johnson belongs to the the Democratic party, and while he is not specially active in political matters, yet, at the same time, he is always ready to advance the cause of every worthy enterprise and advance the interests of the community in which he resides.

    JOHN H. LEE is prominent among the highly respected and genial men. A son of Henry and Susan M. (Massy) Lee, he was born in Shelby County in 1852. His parents were natives of Tennessee and Alabama, respectively, and the former was a physician, but preferring the freedom of outdoor exercise, abandoned his profession to devote his attention to farming. When John was only one year old, the family emigrated to Arkansas, locating in Drew County. At the present date the father resides in Ashley County, having reached his sixty-seventh year. The mother departed this life in the year 1884. John H. Lee enjoyed good eduational advantages in his youth, attending the pulic schools of his county until he had prepared himself for the battle of life, and made his first venture in the business worked as a clerk in a dry goods house, which position he continued to fill most creditably until 1878. In that year he married Miss Gertrude L. Davis, daughter of Felix G. and Mary (Lamb) Davis. Immediately after his marriage Mr. Lee began farming, an occupation that he follows. To Mr. and Mrs. Lee have been born seven children, viz.: Lou Ellen, Mary S., Cleveland D., Mattie C., John B., Joseph M., and an infant, who died without being named. John owns a valuable farm of 140 acres. In politics he is a member of the Democratic party, and he also belongs to several prominent lodges.

    THOMAS N. LLEWELLYN is a successful and enterprising farmer, and also a clerk in the store of W. W. Ford, of Chiot County. He is a son of J. R. and Susan (Humphrey) Llewellyn, natives of Virginia, both of whom were of Welsh descent. Upon coming to America the Llewellyns located in Baltimore, the Humphreys settling in Charleston Va. John Llewellyn was a successful business man, was one of the earliest settlers of Vicksburg, where he did an immense mercantile business. In the latter part of the thirties, during the panic in commericial circles, he failed, but previously had purchased 600 acres of valuable land in Arkansas, and when he moved to the latter named State he brought with him slaves and commenced to clear up and cultivate his estate. Just before the war he added to his possessions considerable, engaging extensively in planting, and when the war broke out he owned 1,200 acres of fine land, but lost the greater part of his property. He was a member of the levee board of this county, which, to people here, seems one of the most importatnt positions a man can hold. He died July 1, 1878, at the age of sixty-nine. The mother is still living and enjoys good health. Of the nine children born to them, only the following are living at the present time, viz.: Eugene, Sadie C., Ellen C., Adele (Mrs. W. H. Elders), Edw. C., Charley, Richard. Thomas was born Deember 28, 1856, and was educated in Locust Dale, Madison County, Va., but at the age of fourteen received a severe wound and was forced to return home, and when fifteen years old went to St. Louis as office boy for his borther-in-law, Mr. Elder, and in 1880 moved to Chicot County, and accepted a position to clerk in a store, an occupation which he has followed largely to the present time. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and politically is a strong Democrat.

    A. N. McDANIEL, a prominent citizen of Lake Village and popular saloon-keeper, was born in the State of Kentucky on January 8, 1841, and is the son of Isaac and Nancy McDaniel. The father is a farmer in the Blue-Grass State. The paternal grandfather of A.N. was in the War of 1812, and at the battle of New Orleans. Of the eleven children in the family only the following are now living, viz.: W. H., A. N., Melissa (Mrs James Brown), John B., Susan, Mary, Allie A. (wife of William Carlisle), James F. and Eliza J. (wife of Thomas Miggins). A. N. McDaniel was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at the age of twenty-one commenced life for himself in a financial way by working on a farm, but only labored a short time. When he came to Chicot County he engaged in running a tug on Lake Chicot from 1882 to 1885. At the end of which time he once more opened a saloon, and since 1886 he has been freight agent at this place. He was married, in 1865, to Miss Sarah F. Brown, daughter of T. C. Brown, of Kentucky, and their union has been blessed with eight children viz.: Luella, Verona (wife of H. Webb, of Kentucky), Nannie B., Ernestine, Rosa, Callie, Thomas and Dessie. Mr. McDaniel owns a large amount of valuable real estate, and is a successful and popular citizen of the village in which he resides.

    PHILANDER MCDERMOTT has been a resident of Arkansas since his birth, and his example of industry and earnest and sincere endeavor to succeed in life is well worthy the imitation of the rising generation. He was born on May 11, 1846, in the territory now included in Chicot County, at which time the State was a Territory and the country a wilderness. Dr. Charles McDermott, his father, was a native Louisianian, born September 22, 1808, and was reared in his native State, receiving his early education there and finishing his course at Yale College, from which institution he was graduated with high honors. He entered the college about the year 1834, when Rev. Lyman Beecher was on of its prominent professors and was a classmate of Joseph E. Benjamin, now Lord Beaconsfield. Later he began the study of medicine, attending the lectures at a celebrated medical college, and upon his graduation ranked among the highest in his class. He began practicing his profession in Louisiana, where he became eminent as a physician and surgeon. He was for many years a prominent correspondent of the Scientific American, in which he was among the first to discuss and favor the germ theory of diseases. He removed from his native Sate to the Territory of Arkansas in 1838, continuing his practice, and here also became a prominent planter, opening up a farm of about 2,000 acres in Chicot County, near where the flourishing an enterprising town of Dermott is now situated, the town being named in his honor. He was a man whose intellect was far above the average, and to his fine natural abilities were added the wisdom and experience of a useful and well spent life. He was well known for his devotion the the church, being a strict Presbyterian, an endeavored in every way to rear his children in the faith which he loved and obeyed. Being an uncompromising Southern man, he became a voluntary exile to Spanish Honduras after the late Rebellion, and remained there about two years, being a resident of Tegucigalpa, where he engaged in the practice of his profession, and also made large investments in real estate which proved a great loss to him. Finding that he could not live there in peace, on account of his outspoken views on the subject of religious customs of that country, and owing to repeated but baffled attempts to assassinate him, he disposed of his business there and returned to his native land, very much reduced in means, the most of his property having been spent in tying to establish himself and family in their adopted home under a new and strange government. Possessing a hopeful and determined disposition, he was not disheartened by his losses, but again entered actively upon the practice of his profession, and retrieved in a measure his fallen fortunes. His death, which occurred October 13, 1886, was mourned by all, for he was public-spirited, honorable and upright to a degree hat commanded the confidence and esteem of all. His wife, who was Miss Hettie S. Smith, was born in Louisiana, in 1818, and was a daughter of Ozane Smith, and extensive sugar planter of Louisiana. Their marriage took place about 1834, and their union resulted in the birth of sixteen children - ten sons and six daughter - only five of whom are now living: Jane (wife of Rev. M. W. Shaw, of Clinton, La.), Katie (wife of P. E. Lambert, a merchant of Monticello, Ark.), Philander, Charles A. (a merchant of Visalia, Cal.), and Dr. Edward O. (a prominent young physician and surgeon of Dermott. Those deceased are William, Benjamin, Susan, Emily, Edward, Sr., Scott, Sr., Scott, Jr., Maggie (wife of J. B. Mercer), William, Jr., Annie B. (wife of J. R. Anderson), and one that died in infancy unnamed. Philander McDermott was reared in Chicot County, Ark., receiving fair early advantages, but his collegiate course was abruptly terminated by the Civil War, in which he became a soldier before he had reached his sixteenth year. In the early part of the war he enlisted in Company B, Second Arkansas Consolidated Regiment, and served throughout the entire ware, surrendering at Marshall, Tex., in 1865. he was in the battles at Mount Elba, Mark's Mill, Royson Springs, Jenkins' Ferry, and numerous smaller engagements and skirmishes. After his return home he began life as a farmer, at the age of twenty years, which work received his attention until 1885, when he rented out his farm and entered the mercantile business at Dermott, his stock comprising druggists' materials, sundries and light groceries, being valued at $2,000 or $2,500. He has done well in his business ventures, an is accounted one of the well-to-do residents of the county. September 7, 1866, he was married in Amite County, Miss., to Miss Ella Jenkins, a native of that State and county, a daughter of Ransom Jenkins,who is now deceased, but was formerly a prominent cotton planter of that county. Her mother is now the wife of Dr. Thomas Jackson, and residses on the old homestead in Mississippi. Mr. and Mrs. McDermott are the parent of three sons and three daughter: Arthur, Ada, Benjamin, Hettie, Emma and Stinson. Mr. McDermott and his wife are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church, and in his political views his is a Democrat, and takes an active part in the success of the party, both locally and nationally. He is upright and honorable in every respect, and enjoys to the highest degree the esteem and confidence of the citizens of Chicot County.


Return to Chicot County Index

©2008 Arkansas Genealogy Trails