Fulton County, Arkansas
JAMES M. ARCHER
James M. Archer, senior member of the general merchandise firm of Archer, Daniels & Co. Fulton County has within her borders many men to whom she may point with pride; men, who forgetting their own interests, have labored assiduously, bending all their efforts to one great end--their country's advancement and welfare. These men, in braving the dangers and privations incident to a pioneer's life, have pressed rapidly forward, paving and preparing the way for the advantages now reaped by a younger generation. Such a man is James M. Archer, who was born in Lawrence County, Ark., June 10, 1832, and when but five years of age removed with his parents to Fulton County. He suffered the loss of his mother when still a mere lad, and a few years later his father was stricken down with paralysis, lingering a helpless cripple for sixteen years. This was a terrible blow for young Archer, as it robbed him of his support and reduced him to a state of destitution. It was in this trying ordeal that the boy showed the metal of which he was made. Born of a sturdy line of ancestry, he inherited a vim which refused to bow under adverse circumstances, and here were developed that determination of purpose and untiring energy which has characterized his after life. He is first found occupying the humble position of knife rubber on a steamboat, which he followed for three years, never once complaining of his hard lot. Later he was engaged in labor upon a farm, receiving for his work the mere pittance of four dollars per month, which he saved for the purpose of attending school. His small amount of funds was soon exhausted, and he was compelled to resume his labors, and for five years more was engaged in various occupations.
When the war broke out he was not long in making his decision, and espousing the cause of the Confederacy, he organized the first company of Confederate troops in Marion County, Ark., where he was then located. He assumed the captaincy of this company, which was mustered into service in the Seventh Regiment Arkansas Infantry, and for a short time was stationed at Pocahontas, Ark. He next joined the Regulars and was commissioned regimental adjutant of the Fourth Cavalry, participating in many engagements, among which were the battles of Fitz Hugh's Woods, Ironton, Boonville, Independence and others. After the close of the war he embarked in agricultural pursuits near Salem, Ark., and in 1869 he engaged in business at that town, where he remained until 1882. In 1887 he obtained control of Mammoth Spring, and at once devoted his attention to the general improvement of the place. He is now general manager and secretary of the Mammoth Spring Improvement & Water Power Company, and director of the Calamity Cotton Mills. In 1879 Mr. Archer was elected representative of Fulton County, and reelected in 1881.
His wife was Miss Laura Tunstall of Arkansas, a daughter of Thomas T. and Elizabeth Tunstall, early settlers of this state. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and are held in the highest esteem. In political faith Mr. Archer is an ardent adherent of Democratic principles. He is also a member of the K. of P. [Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 266.]
W H. CULP
W. H. Culp, editor and proprietor of the Mammoth Spring Monitor, at Mammoth Spring, Ark., is of German descent, the name originally being Kolb, but it was changed to Culp when the family became Americanized. He was born in Izard County, Ark., November 5, 1863, and after acquiring a fair education in the common schools he entered the office of the Clipper, at Melbourne, Ark., and learned the printer's trade.
In 1882 be bought a half interest in the Izard County Register, at Melbourne, and in August, 1884, purchased the remaining interest and conducted the paper with highly satisfactory results until November, 1886, when he leased the press and moved to Lee County. Ark., where he spent a part of the following year in an unsuccessful attempt to raise a cotton crop.
Moving to Mammoth Spring. Ark., he established the Mammoth Spring Monitor, the first number being issued February 2. 1888. This paper has proved a decided success financially, and is one of the spiciest, best and most ably edited business papers in Northwest Arkansas, and Mr. Culp has become well known throughout the State as one of the most successful editors. He established the Thayer Tribune at Thayer, Mo., in 1888, but has since sold it and is now devoting his time and energies to the publication of the Monitor.
He was married in 1884to Miss Army D. Owen, of Forrest City, Ark., she being a daughter of Dextor Owen, who was born in Providence, R. I.. They have two children; Homer and Madge.
Mr. Culp is a son of Dr. T. B. and Elizabeth (Benbrook) Culp, the former’s birth occurring gin Izard County, Ark., in 1835, and his death In Melbourne of the same county, in 1880.
His widow still survives him and is a resident of this county, being forty five years of age. [Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Fulton County, Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889 - Transcribed by: Frances Cooley]
DR. D. S. DEADERICK
Dr. D. S. Deaderick, real estate agent, Mammoth Spring. In that proud series of names which have aided materially in developing the business interests of Fulton County, that of Mr. Deaderick holds a leading place.
He was born in Saline County. Mo., in 1842 and is the son of John S. and Ellen (Cotter) Deaderick, and grandson of David Deaderick, who was a native of Tennessee.
John S. Deaderick was born in Georgia in 1819, and in 1840 was united in marriage to Miss Cotter, at Potosi, Mo. She was born in Pittsburg, Penn., in 1820. After marriage the parents removed to St. Louis, where the father was interested in the shot tower. In 1848 they moved to Saline County of the same State, and there he was engaged in. agricultural pursuits until 1857, when they moved to Plattin Rock, in Jefferson County. During the year 1861 they were in different parts of the South, and in 1865 returned to St. Louis, where Mr. Deaderick was occupied in wool manufacture for several years.
In 1874 they came to Mammoth Spring and were the first settlers here. He erected a flour mill and cotton gin, which he operated until June, 1887, when he sold out. He was a thorough going business man and was atone time quite wealthy. His death occurred in 1887.
Florence Cotter, the grandfather of Dr. Deaderick. was a native of Ireland and came to the United States about 1796. He settled in Pennsylvania, where he died early in the present century.
Dr. D. S. Deaderick, the eldest of two sons and one daughter, received his education in the St. Louis University. During the late unpleasantness between the North and South he served four years in the Confederate Army, Company E, Second Missouri Cavalry. He enlisted as a private and came out as adjutant of the regiment. He operated in Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi with Gen. Forrest, and was wounded several times.
After the war he engaged in the lumber business in Iron and St. Francois Counties, Mo., and in 1870 took up the study of medicine and graduated at the St. Louis Medical College in 1872. He then practiced in that city until 1874, when he came to Mammoth Spring, and in company with his father embarked in milling and merchandising, and was also for a number of years interested in the real estate business. He has continued the real estate business in town and besides is the owner of several farms In Missouri and Arkansas.
In his political views he affiliates with the Democratic party, and his first presidential vote was cast for Gen. Hancock in 1880.
He is a member of the A Masonic fraternity, Myatt Lodge No. 401, and Evening Shade Chapter No. 50. He is also a member of Mammoth Spring Lodge N. 48, I.O.O.F.
His only sister is the wife of J. D. Lucas, of St. Louis, and his brother, Dr. James S., is a practicing physician of DeSoto, Mo. His mother is still living and resides at Mammoth Spring.
The family are members of the Catholic Church. [Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Fulton County, Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889 - Transcribed by: Frances Cooley]
WILLIAM SAVIN FULTON
Senate Years of Service: 1836-1844; Party: Jackson Democrat; Democrat. William Savin Fulton, a Senator from Arkansas; born in Cecil County, Md., June 2, 1795; pursued classical studies and graduated from Baltimore College in 1813; commenced the study of law but during the War of 1812 enlisted in a company of Volunteers at Fort McHenry; after the war
moved to Tennessee and resumed the study of law; admitted to the bar in 1817 and commenced practice in Gallatin, Tenn.; military secretary to General Andrew Jackson in his Florida campaign in 1818; moved to Alabama in 1820 and settled in Florence; elected judge of the county court in 1822; appointed by President Andrew Jackson secretary of the Territory of Arkansas in 1829; Governor of Arkansas 1835-1836; upon the admission of Arkansas as a State was elected as a Jacksonian (later Democrat) to the United States Senate; reelected in 1840 and served from September 18, 1836, until his death in Little Rock, Ark., August 15, 1844; chairman, Committee on Public Buildings (Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth congresses); interment in Mount Holly Cemetery. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present.]
© Copyright GenealogyTrails