Fulton County, Arkansas
Church Histories / Records
Of the several religious denominations, the Methodists and Baptists were the pioneer workers hereabouts.
About 1840, the former had preaching at the Hubble place, three miles north of the present site of Salem, and a little later the latter held services at Indian Camp, some six miles east of Salem.
Churches then began to be organized, but the few that were formed prior to the war period became disorganized during that time.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, now embraces one circuit and three missions. Salem circuit contains seven appointments, with an aggregate membership of 394, including three local preachers. Rev. J. S. Watson is the pastor in charge at this writing.
Viola Mission includes six appointments, with a total membership of 233, including six local preachers. Rev. B. D. Moon is the present pastor.
Mammoth Spring Mission has three appointments, whose membership has reached forty-five. Rev. J. F. Troy is present pastor.
State Line Mission has seven appointments, with an aggregate membership of 187. The present pastor is Rev. J. R. Edwards. These all belong to the Batesville district of the White River conference, from the minutes of which the statistics have been taken.
The Methodist Episcopal Church embraces within the county the whole of one and a portion of another circuit.
Viola Circuit contains appointments, with an aggregate membership of 105.
Wild Cherry Circuit has two appointments in the county—Wild Cherry and Gum Springs—the two having a membership of about 125. Rev. J. W. Slusher is pastor.
Viola Circuit has no pastor at this writing. These churches belong to the Harrison district of Arkansas conference, of which Rev. W. C. Evans is presiding elder.
There are a few organizations in the county of Methodist Protestants.
Of the Missionary Baptist Church there are the following organizations: Mount Zion, at Union, Liberty Hill, Little Strawberry, Enterprise, Gum Springs, Shady Grove, Mount Vernon, Salem, Viola, Oak Grove and Shiloh, with an estimated aggregate membership of 443. These organizations all belong to Big Creek association of Missionary Baptists.
There are not less than eleven Christian Church organizations scattered throughout the county, having an aggregate membership of about 350.
At Mammoth Spring is the St Andrew's Episcopal Church, with a membership of twenty five. It was organized in November, 1887, by Dr. Lawson, of Mississippi, and is the only one of that denomination in the county. Of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, there are at least three organizations in the county, viz: Hickory Grove, Fairview and one near Pleasant Valley.
One associate Reformed Presbyterian Church is in the county—Prosperity, four and a half mile southwest from Salem. It has a membership of about forty-five. Rev. J. 0. McDonald, of Izard County, is the present pastor.
All the settled portions of the county are supplied with churches and school-houses. [Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Fulton County, Arkansas The Goodspeed Publishing Company 1889 - Transcribed by: Frances Cooley]
© Copyright GenealogyTrails