We regret that we are
perform personal research for anybody.
Grant County was formed February 4, 1869. It was
named for President Ulysses S. Grant.
Sheridan is the county seat.
Population, 1940: 10, 477
Grant County was created by the first reconstruction
Legislature, Governor Clayton approving the act on February 4, 1869. The
territory comprising it was taken from Hot Spring, Jefferson and Saline
counties. It was named for Gen Ulysses S. Grant, who had been elected
president of the United States in November, 1868. The county is centrally
located. On the north it is bounded by Saline and Pulaski counties; on the
east by Jefferson County; on the south by Cleveland and Dallas counties,
and on the west by Hot Spring and Saline counties. Its area is 637 square
miles of gently rolling land, drained by the Saline River, Hurricane and
William M. Allison, John W Harrison and Thomas A. Morris were
appointed commissioners to locate the county seat. A. N. Harris off
ered to donate land for a seat of justice. His offer was accepted by the
commissioners and the town of Sheridan was laid out. Until the completion
of the courthouse in 1871, the county business was transacted in a store
house belonging to E. H. Vance. The first county officers were: T. A.
Morris, judge; E. H. Vance Jr., clerk; T. W. Quinn, sheriff; Thomas Page,
treasurer; L. J. Wallace, surveyor; J. Holiman, coroner; J. H. Burk,
On the night of March 13, 1877, the courthouse was destroyed
by fire, supposed to have been of incendiary origin. Temporary quarters
were obtained and used until a new courthouse was ready for occupancy in
1880. The county is divided into the following townships: Calvert,
Darysaw, Davis, DeKalb, Fenter, Franklin, Madison, Merry Green, River,
Simpson, Tennessee and Washington.
Prior to 1840 hunting and trapping were about the only
occupations of the few white people living within the present limits of
the county. In 1841 a number of persons settled in the county. Among them
were Merrill Alley, Hugh Berry, Seth Atchley, Edward Calvert, Benjamin
Hubbard, John B. Hester, James Rogers, Jonas Black, Francis Posey, the
Porters, the Tulls, The Fenters, the Williams family and some others. The
first store was opened near Morring's Ferry, in what is now Calvert
Township by a Frenchman named Nicholai. The first post office was at Lost
Creek, and Joab Pratt, a local preacher, was one of the early postmasters.
The Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad runs along
the western boarder of the county, and the Benton & Pine Bluff division
of the Missouri Pacific passes through Sheridan, which is the largest
town. It was incorporated on August 4, 1888; has two weekly newspapers, a
telephone exchange, lumber interests, and is the principal banking and
commercial center. The population in 1920 was 695. Leola, on the Rock
Island Railroad in the southwest corner, is the only other incorporated
town. It has two sawmills, a cooperage plant, general store, etc., and a
population of 482.
Belfast, Erin, Cherrygrove, Grapevine and Prague are the principal
[Source: Annals of Arkansas, 1947, Dallas T Herndon, editor, Historical
Record Association; Transcribed by Joe Rose]
Towns and Other Populated Places
Leola * Prattsville * Sheridan
Poyen * Tull