Physician Remedies

Transcribed by : Tina Easley


Source - Ellingwood's Therapeutist - 1916

REPORT OF VARIOUS INFECTIONS At a one-time session of the Arkansas Medical Society, Dr. A. G. Clyne of Bethel, Arkansas, made a report of his experiences in the use of echinacea. The first case reported was Recurring Erysipelas of the face and head, occurring once or twice every year for nearly ten years. This was treated with a mild physic and the patient was given thirty drops of a fluid extract of echinacea every three hours. The same remedy was applied externally. After the use of this agent there was no recurrence for three years, when the same treatment was used and continued for some weeks, since when there has been no recurrence. In the case of septicemia and pyuria from abscess above the left knee, temperature 102, pulse 120, the entire leg below the knee was badly swollen, onehalf dram of fluid extract of echinacea was given every two to four hours; in the strength of two ounces to the pint of water was applied over the surface, the application kept moist. Abscesses appeared all over the body at that time and over thirty were opened and evacuated. The case was known in the neighborhood as "Rotten Leg," with no possible chance of recovery. Recovery was complete, however, within a few months.

Another very similar case was treated in a similar manner. The abscesses, however, were on the neck and shoulders, one having been present for over a year.

In a case of puerperal peritonitis, "I was called," the Doctor says, "two weeks after confinement. I found a septic metritis fully developed. Temperature 104, pulse 128. The peritonitis was general.

Not withstanding echinacea, one dram every two hours was given, there was but little abatement in the symptoms for several days, but at the expiration of one week the improvement was very satisfactory. The recovery was slow, but complete in one month.

A young man's left hand was punctured with the fin of a large catfish, when fishing. The pain from the wound was almost unbearable and infection was marked in a few hours. This was treated with echinacea externally and internally, the wound being freely opened. The ultimate result was a complete cure.

Crasia and as a tissue builder. I believe it is not only a germicide, but it destroys the toxines that the germs produce. It is also a healing agent, and it is soothing, somewhat anesthetic in its influence. I believe that it works hand-in-hand with lobelia. I think we will find these two to make a tremendous team. I have my faith established and am an enthusiast because of the results I have secured; unmistakably, from these two agents.

My son was burned with an electric wire from the wrist to the elbow, an extensive, deep and difficult burn to manage. I consulted four or five physicians and surgeons. They advised amputation at once. I treated this with toll strength echinacea, externally, and gave this remedy also internally to antagonize any possible infection. Fo'r the influence of the shock upon the system at large, I gave subculoid lobelia hypodermically. There was gradual but satisfactory improvement, and the young man now has a useful arm indeed. This is one case out of many.


Robert J. Grant, a farmer and railroad man, who lives about one and one-half miles of this place, was, by chance, in town in his buggy, when his two eldest girls came running to town, one of them crying every jump she made, finding their father, told him that Horace, the 20 months old baby boy had been bitten by a great big old snake, as they put it.

This was on the 2nd day of October, 1916.

Robert found me in a very few minutes, and said, "My baby has been snake bitten and I want you to go as quickly as you can to see him." I just reached up and took down a full bottle of echinacea angusti folium, Lloyd's make, from the shelf in my office, jumped into his buggy with him and his two girls, 10 and 14, and he laid his whip to Pet, as they call her, and in a very few minutes we were at his house.

Now listen: From the time that the baby was bitten till I arrived it was just thirty minutes by the clock. This is just what I did and how I did it. I opened up the bottle of echinacea, poured a clean teaspoonful, filled my hypodermic and injected it into three places. Once into the bite, once above it, and once below it.

The next thing that I did was to take a four-ounce empty bottle and pour as near as I could guess half of the remainder of that bottle of echinacea into it and finished filling it with water. I instructed the mother to give him teaspoonful doses every thirty minutes till she had given him four or five doses, then give it every hour.

The next thing that I did, I took a clean quart bottle, poured the rest of the four-ounce bottle of echinacea into the quart bottle and filled it up with water. I bandaged the limb moderately tight and then saturated the bandage with the quart-bottle solution and instructed the mother to keep the bandage thoroughly saturated with the solution.

The bandage extended about half way up the thigh, subsequently the swelling went above the bandage to the body. His scrotum swelled about twice its natural size for about ten or twelve hours and then began to go down after the constant use of a cloth well saturated with the solution bound on the thigh up to the body.

The little patient was quite restless the first night and a part of the second night, but after that he just rested fine. They kept him in bed for four days, after which he was up walking around about the room. His leg seemed weak at first but the natural strength soon returned to it. He made as fine a recovery as I ever saw in any case of any kind.

Now, me thinks I hear you say, isn't it a little late for snake bite on the second day of October? Yes, it is, but when I tell you about it, it is most plausible. The two girls, two boys and the baby boy were out in the barn shelling sunflower seed for the chickens. The baby was sitting on the sill of the barn, which was underpinned with rock.

The copperhead snake was in the crevice of the foundation and began to crawl out from under the boy when he got upon his feet, the snake struck him on the left knee about the center of the the patella. Being rather fleshy the snake made a good hard lick, and tore his hold out by his recoil bound.

The oldest girl grabbed him in her arms and ran screaming to the house. Mrs. Vera Kee, a sister of the baby's mother, was there, so she took the dog and a hoe and went to the barn and the dog found and killed the snake.

Now, I want you to know that there was not a drop of anything used in the treatment of this case but echinacea. This is one instance in which I got the happiest results from a single remedy, and that remedy was echinacea angustifolium, made by Lloyd Brothers of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Austin, Ark. John B. Curry, M. D. Medical Summary.