bluemaplogo

BIOGRAPHIES

Izard County Arkansas Genealogy Trails



John N Bates, farmer, Franklin, Ark. Not withstanding the rapid growth of the agricultural affairs of the county in the last few years, and the progressive ideas advanced, Mr Bates has kept throughly apace with the times, and is considered one of the leading farmers of the county. His birth occurred in Bedord County, Tenn, in 1829 and he is the son of J A and Elizabeth (Davis) Bates, the former a native of the old Dominion, and the latter of South Carolina. J A Bates came to Tennessee about 1820, but previous to that he had been a resident of Georgia and Alabama. He was principally reared in Georgia, and served in the war of 1812 up to 1815. He was also with Gen. Noonan's command, was in the Florida swamps in 1836, and was present when the chief, Osceola, was captured. During the war of 1812 he was a lieutenant, and served in that capacity until 1814 when, for his bravery and daring, he was promoted to the rank of captain, having piloted a boat load of ammunition and provision from Black Creek Station to Fort Scott, Fla. This boat- load of supplies had been ordered to the Black Creek Station while Gen. Jackson was there, but the commander at Fort Scott was hard-pressed, and had requested Gen. Jackson to come to his assistance. Lieut. Bates was off after deserters at this time but when he returned to Black Creek Station he found Gen. Jackson gone and the boat load of ammunition and provisions had arrived from the head of supplies. There were not enough troops left to guard the boat, so Lieut. Bates built breast works on the boat and pushed off, reaching Gen. Jackson in safety. For this daring and almost impossible feat he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He died in Coffee County, Tenn. in September, 1868 at the age of seventy-four years. He had been twice married, first to Elizabeth Aulford, by whom he had three children, all daughters, Martha, Mary and Elizabeth, a wife of Mr. Carroll. Mrs. Bates died about 1819, and Mr. Bates was the second time married to Miss. Elizabeth Davis, in 1824. To this union were born seven children, six of whom lived to be grown. The youngest one died when quite small; Jasper M resides in this county; Alethia (deceased) was the wife of J S Jones; John N, the subject of this sketch; Frances A., widow of J. Hickerson now resided in Tennessee; Rebecca A (deceased) wife of L W Angell, of Tennessee, and Louisa J (Deceased), was the wife of Alex Oldfield. Mrs. Bates died in July, 1869. Both Mr And Mrs Bates were members of the Baptist Church, and politics he was a Whig. At the age of twenty-one years J N Bates started out for himself, after receiving a fair education in the common schools. He was the schoolmate of Judge Powell, of this county, in Bedford county, Tenn. He first began as a hired hand to learn the tanning business bordered with his father and worked for $5 per month for one year. In 1854 he commenced tanning on his on account and ran a yard for himself until 1864, when he lost all his property. He then engaged in farming and has followed this pursuit up to the present. In March, 1869, he came to this county, and settled on Strawberry, where he remained until 1876, when he sold out and bought his present property, consisting of 220 acres, 100 under cultivation, all the result of hard labor since the war. He was married, on 4th December, 1849, to Miss Harriet L Oldfield, a native of Tennessee, born on the 11th of November, 1827, and they are the parents of ten children, eight now living; Nancy E, widow of Dr. J. M. Beaver, and afterward married John D Billingsley; Rhoda J wife of James Billingsley; Eliza F , wife of F M Wolf; Charles L lives in Texas; John L resides in Lee County, Ark; Mary F (deceased); Laura A, wife of J T Robertson; Susan L , wife of Walter Hardaway; Lillie M, wife of James M. Godwin, and Carrie L (deceased). Mr. Bates was not in the army, but was detailed to make shoes for the soldiers, and to continue the tanning business. Previous to the war he was a Whig, but since then he has voted with the Democratic party until 1880, when he supported the Greenback and Wheeler ticket. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The Paternal Grandfather of John N Bates, Samuel Bates, was a soldier in the War for Independence and served first, until the battle of Lexington, when he was captured by the English, and kept prisoner for three months. He then made his escape. He was a silversmith by trade, and the English kept him at work at his trade while prisoner. He then joined the army again, was at Yorktown, and was present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis. After he located in Virginia, where he reared his family. He worked at his trade and became wealthy, owning many negroes. In 1807 he moved to North Carolina.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 926 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Dr. E A Baxter, Melbourne, Ark. It is the prerogative of the physician to relieve or alleviate the aliment to which suffering humanity is prone, and as such he deserves the most grateful consideration of all. A prominent physician, who by his own ability has attended distinction in his profession, is Dr. E. A. Baxter. This gentleman was born in Batesville, Ark, in 1853 and is the son of Elisha D and Harriet N (Patton) Baxter [see sketch of ex-Gov. Elisha Baxter]. Dr. Baxter was educated at Batesville, Ark, received a good English education at that place, and in 1877 entered the University of Louisville, from which he graduated in March, 1879. He then returned home, remained a short time and then came to Melbourne, where he relocated in the last named year. He immediately began practicing his profession. Realizing that it was not good for a man to be alone, he was married on the 23d of December, 1882 to Miss. Maggie Powell, daughter of William and Millie Powell, and nice of Judge Powell, of Melbourne. They are parents of two children, only one living. Hattie M. The one deceased was named Alfred A.. Dr. and Mrs. Baxter are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Doctor is a member of the I O O F, and also belongs to the Encampment of that order. He makes no specialty in his line of Practice, but has gained the confidence of all as a clever scientific practitioner. He has been successful financially, accumulating property as could be expected in a healthy county like Izard. Coming as he does from one of the leading families of the State, and being well connected by marriage, the Doctor would be a very popular man even if it were not for his pleasant, social disposition, which has called around him many friends. Kind and obliging, open-hearted and free-handed, he is ever fond at the bedside of the sick and helpless. He takes no active part in politics, and votes always for the good of his friends. He is a Republican, though he has voted with Democratic party of this state.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 926 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Elbert Benbrook is one of the most successful farmers and stockmen of Izard County, and deserves much credit for the success which has attended his efforts, for when he began life for himself he only owned one horse and rented land, whereas he is now the owner of 500 acres of as good land as there is in the county, and is one of the most successful stockmen of this region. He was born in Izard County, in 1838, and is a son of Henry and Catherine (Langsten) Benbrook, who came from the State of Illinois in 1832, and settled on the farm on which our subject is now residing. The father was a miller as well as a farmer, and in 1848 erected one of the first mills in the county, and was also the proprietor of one of the first cotton gins. Upon settling in this region their neighbors, with the exception of the families who came with them, were twenty miles distant, and Indians and wild game of all kinds were very abundant. Flouring mills were very few and far between in the region at that time, and their corn and wheat were ground by machinery of their own manufacture and were of a very crude description. The first mill built in the county was said to have been erected by Langsten Close, near Melbourne, in 1816, its capacity being one bucket of meal per day, but this was sufficient to keep all the families in meal within a radius of fifty miles. Wild honey was very abundant, and as a means of carrying it in considerable quantities they would sew up a deer skin in the form of a sack, put the honey in at the neck, throw the same across their horse as a sack, and thus convey it home. A few elk were found in the region by the earliest settlers, but there was no buffalo, although the country showed evidence of their having been here, as the woods were entirely free from underbrush, the canebrake being only along the streams. At the age of twenty-three years Elbert Benbrook began managing a steam saw-mill, the first one of the kind in the county, it being erected by A H Matthews and Ben Bufford in 1858, but owing to the breaking out of the war he was compelled to give up the work. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate service, but at the end of six weeks he was discharged on account of disability and returned home, where he engaged in teaching school for a short time. He then operated his father's carding machine until after the close of the war, when he again embarked in saw-milling, and also managed the carding machine and followed farming up to 1873. From 1873 to 1881 he operated a gristmill, but since that time he has given his attention to farming and carpentering. He is a Democrat politically, and has held the office of justice of the peace and deputy sheriff, and is the present incumbent of the latter office, to which he was appointed in 1888, and had previously filled it from 1874 to 1878. Margaret M. Berry became his wife in 1861, but her death occurred seven years later, she having borne a family of three children: Susan A (wife of W J Hudson), Robert H, and Martha C (wife of W C Rodman). Mr. Benbrook wedded his second wife. Miss. Sarah A Mathes, in 1868, but after bearing three children, Margie A, Dora and Allan H, her death occurred in 1878, she having been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In the latter part of 1878 Mr. Benbrook wedded his present wife, Mrs. Elizabeth (Slyre) Rodman, and both are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Royal Arch Mason. He is one of the men who has helped to build up the county and has always been noted for his Christianity, benevolence, and high sense of honor.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 926 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Uen Benbrook, farmer, Pinesville, Ark. Located in the midst of one of the finest agricultural centers of Izard County, the farm which Mr. Benbrook occupies is conceded to be among the best in this vicinity, and this is saying not a little, for on every hand may be seen superior places, whose ownership indicate thrift and prosperity. He is a native of this county, his birth occurring in 1849, and he is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Traylor) Benbrook, natives of Illinois and Indiana, respectively. Henry Benbrook came to Izard County, at a very early day, settled on a farm and tilled the soil, but in connection also carried on the milling business. He and wife reared a family of ten children, eight now living: Maria J (wife of David Smith), Uen, Armedia A (wife of Green P Staggs), Washington, Serenia V (wife of A. J. Franks), Perry, Charlotte T (wife of L L Bailey), Henry and Nancy (deceased). Mr. Benbrook died in 1872, at the age of sixty years, and Mrs. Benbrook died in 1868, at the age of forty years. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he was a member of the A F & A M. He had accumulated considerable property at the time of his death, and owned about 1,800 acres of land, besides a grist-mill, two saw-mills and a water gin and carding machine. He was one of the leading men of his day, and contributed liberally to all worthy enterprises. Uen Benbrook remained on his father's farm until twenty-four years of age, and acquired a taste for agricultural pursuits which has adhered to him ever since. He received a good practical education in the subscription schools, and when twenty-five years of age selected a wife in the person of Mrs. Acenith (Long) Benbrook, a native of Izard County, Ark. This union was blessed by the birth of six children: Elizabeth, Angelene A, Albert, Robert, Acey and Elbert. Mr. Benbrook first commenced farming on rented land, but two years later purchased 200 acres of land, selling part of this in 1881, and purchasing 115 acres unimproved. He then traded that for his present property, which consists of 205 acres, with about 125 improved. He also owns one-half interest in a cotton-gin. He has excellent buildings and plenty of stock to run his farm. He is a liberal donator to all public affairs, and is active in educational matters. He and Mrs. Benbrook are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and he is a member of the A F & A M. Mrs. Benbrook had been married previous to her marriage to Mr. Benbrook, and to the brother of the subject of this sketch. He died in 1870. Her parents, George and Elizabeth (Langston) Long, were both natives of Arkansas, and her father was one of the earliest settlers on Strawberry Creek. He and wife were the parents of three children, two now living: Acey M and Acenith. Mr. and Mrs. Long both died in 1834.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 927 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Rev. J N A Billingsley, Rockford, Ark. Like many others of the representative men of Izard County, Ark, Mr. Billingsley is a native of Tennessee, born in the year 1834. His parents, A C and Rebecca (Billingsley) Billingsley, were also natives of that State. A C Billingsley received a common school education in his native state and moved to Arkansas in 1844. He purchased land in Izard Count, and followed farming in the spring and summer, and the rest of the time was engaged as a house carpenter, and was interested in the ginning business. He was married in 1833 to Miss Rebecca Billingsley, and the fruits of this union were ten children, nine of whom lived to be grown and four are now living: J N A, Harriet E, wife of W Lee; Thomas C resides in Yell County, Ark, and Eutonia E , wife of W. Ragan. When Mr. Billingsley first came to Arkansas the country was very thinly settled and their clothes were principally made from deer skins, and their shoes were also made of the skins of animals. They settlers depended mainly on hunting for their meat. Mr. Billingsley was a Whig in politics, and was justice of the peace in his country for a number of years. His father, Samuel Billingsley, came to this country in 1840. He filled many office of trust in Fulton County, and was ex-county judge and representative of that county from about 1852 to 1853. Politically, he was a fine Democrat. He was a member of the A F & A M, and was a member of the Advent Church. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch was Thomas Billingsley, brother to the paternal grandfather. He moved to Sevier County, Ark, about 1840 and there followed agricultural pursuits. He was a Democrat in his political views. Upon reaching manhood Rev J N A Billingsley commenced life for himself and worked for some time as a hired hand. After this he clerked in a dry good store for about fifteen months, and then went to tilling the soil on rented land. One year later he entered 320 acres in Van Buren County, Ark, But sold out in 1868 and came to Izard County. He rented land for four years and then entered his present property of 160 acres. He now has seventy acres under cultivation. During the late conflict, or in 1862, he joined the Confederate army, and served until 5th June 1865, when he surrendered at Jacksonport, Ark. He participated in the following battles: Prairie Grove, Helena ( July 4, 1803), Little rock, and was in most of the battles during Gen. Price's raid through Missouri, in 1864. After cessation of the hostilities he returned home and resumed his farming industry. His marriage was consummated in 1858, to Miss. Catherine Orr, of Fulton county Ark, and nine children were the result of this union, eight now living: David C, resides in this county; Mary E, at home; Sarah F, wife of Charles B Thomas, resides in the county; J N A Jr, (deceased); Samuel A, at home; R Catherine, wife of L J Jackson; Eutonia E, at home Edwin H, at home; and Martha E also at home. Mr. Billingsley was ordained a minister of the Advent Church in 1873, and was a pioneer minister of his faith in this section. He has had between thirty and forty conversions in the church, and he has preformed about a dozen marriage services. He is in favor of all public enterprise, is active in school matters, and is Prohibitionist and Union Labor man. He also is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Ther father of Mrs. Billingsley, David Orr, was born in 1790, came to Cape Girardeau County, MO, in 1823, remained there for five years and in 1827 came to this State and settled in Lawrence County, where he remained until 1845. He them moved to Fulton county, and died there in 1849. He was missionary in the Baptist church, and his circuit extended from Jefferson city, MO, to Little Rock, Ark. The State was still a territory when he settled here, and the nearest neighbor was twenty-five miles distant. Often he would travel all day and not see a house. Sometimes he would get bothered and fail to reach a house by night time, and in the case he would be obliged to camp out, frequently in the dense canebrakes. Bear, panthers and other wild animals would come prowling around and he would have to stay up to watch his horse. He followed his ministerial duties from 1827 to 1845, and was also a school teacher. He married Miss. Eliza T. Caldwell, of Kentucky, on the 13 of September, 1821 and became the father of eleven children: James (deceased), E W (died in 1863 and his family resided in Fulton County, David (died in 1827), David (Died in 1856), John H (Lives in Idaho Territory), Eliza A (wife of A S Godwin), Catherine ( wife of Rev. Billingsley), Martha J (died in 1847), W H H (died and left a family in Texas), Joseph M (lives in Fulton County) and Robert G. Mr. Orr died in 1849 and his wife in 1874. Mrs Orr was married the second time, in 1852, to Thomas R Hill, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; she belonged to the Baptist church.

Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Izard County, c1899, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p.298 transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Dr. J K P Black, Melbourne, Ark. One of the leading and most successful physicians of Izard County is Dr. Black, who has acquired a flattering reputation, and does credit to the profession. He was born in Bedford County, Tenn, in 1840, and divided his time in youth between assisting on the farm and in attending the common schools. In 1861 he threw aside the implements of peace to take up the weapons of warfare, and enlisted in Company K, Boon's First Battalion of Cavalry, and served until 1865, when he was paroled at Shreveport, La. He was engaged in the battles of Elkhorn, Iuka, Corinth, and was sick during the siege of Vicksburg. He came west after the surrender of that place and joined Capt. McCabel's cavalry, and was captured on Saline River, Ark, taken to Rock Island, Ill, where he was kept over a year before being exchanged. He returned home after the surrender and engaged in agricultural pursuits, but also attended school. In 1870 he commenced to read medicine, and two years later attended lectures at the University of Nashville, from which he graduated in 1876. He then commenced practicing at Melbourne, and here he has remained ever since. He was married, in 1882, to Miss Susan Morton, of this State, and six children are the result of this union, all living: Edgar and Edna (twins), Thomas K, Ernest, Rufus and Mary. At the commencement of his life as a public man, the Doctor was not possessed of a great amount of property, but he is now the owner of a large farm of 310 acres, with about 100 acres under cultivation. He is at present erecting a very fine residence, which, when completed, will be equal to any in the county. He is a stanch Democrat, but takes no particular interest in politics. He is a member of the I O O F. Mrs. Black is the daughter of David and Nellie (Garmon) Morton, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born about 1807 or 1808, and came to the State of Arkansas in 1850. The mother was born about 1810, and died in 1881. Dr. Black is the son of Col. Thomas and Mary F (Byler) Black, the former born on the 4th of October, 1807. In 1813 Col. Black removed with his father from Williamson to Bedford County, Tenn, and when in his nineteenth year he was elected lieutenant of the militia. When twenty-one years of age he was promoted to the rank of captain, and subsequently in his twenty-sixth and twenty ninth years he was made adjutant- major and then colonel of his regiment. When twenty-three years of age he was elected to the Tennessee legislature, where he remained for four successive terms, representing Marshall and Bedford Counties. Within this time occurred the trouble of 1841 and 1842, relating to an ineffectual effort to remove Foster and White from the United States senate; Col. Black being a Democrat. dyed in the wool. voted accordingly. In 1849 he moved to Izard County, Ark, from which he was sent to represent the county in 1852. In 1856 he was elected county and probate judge, which office he filled successfully for four years, when he was appointed by the governor for two years more. In 1880 he again represented Izard County in the State legislature, and with the expiration of his term of office came the end of his public life. His last years were spent in the retirement of the home circle, but he was at all times keenly alive to passing events. His death occurred at his residence near Melbourne, on the 23d of June, 1889, when in his eighty second year, and after a long and useful life. When in his thirty third year he became a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and was at once made ruling elder, a relation to the church which he retained until his death. He was also a member of the I O O F.

Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Izard County, c1899, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p.929. transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Lee A. Bland, farmer, Melbourne, Izard County, Ark. Personal popularity, it cannot be denied, results largely from industry, perseverance and close attention to business, which a person displays in the management of any particular branch of trade; and in the case of Mr. Bland this is certainly true, for he has adhered so closely to farming, and helped in so many ways to advance all worthy enterprises in this community, that he is considered one of the representative men of the county. His birth occurred at Augusta, in Woodruff County, Ark., and he is the son of James T. and Mary C. (Snow) Bland, the father a native of Tennessee, and the mother of Arkansas.
James Bland came to Arkansas, at an early day, settling at Augusta, Woodruff County, and was married January 5, 1854. He followed farming, but also engaged in merchandising previous to the war, and was broken up during that eventful period. He did not enlist, but was one of the few men who assisted the wives of the soldiers. He had three brothers killed while serving in the Confederate army. After the war he farmed extensively until his death, which occurred January 5, 1869, when he was killed by the State militia, serving under Powell Clayton's orders. He was at one time quite weathy, and was the owner of some slaves. He and his first wife were the parents of two children, Lee A, being the only one living. Mrs. Bland died in 1858, and Mr. Bland took for his second wife, in 1858, Miss Lucy Perry, who bore him two children, only one living, Oliver P., who is a telegraph operator, and resides at El Paso, Texas. Mr. Bland was only about thirty-nine years of age at the time of his death, and his second wife followed him to the grave in 1869. In politics he was a stanch Democrat.
At the age of sixteen years Lee A. Bland (the subject of his sketch) commenced life for himself, first as a dry goods clerk, and was then employed for eighteen months by Campbell Bros. at Augusta. He then farmed for about two years, after which he again returned to mercantile pursuits, but not liking this he again returned to farming and has continued thus occupied ever since. He first rented land, but in 1887 he bought his present property, consisting of 397 acres, with sixty under cultivation, and has resided here since. In 1876 he abandoned his single state and was united in marriage at La Crosse, Izard County, to Miss Cornelia F. Helm, who bore him five children, three now living: Ada M., born July 29, 1877; Mary J., born October 5, 1879; Effie L. (deceased), born November 1, 1883; Nora S. (deceased), born February 17, 1886, and Willie L., born November 22, 1887. Mr. Bland has been constable of LaCrosse Township for two years, and, like his father, is a Democrat in his political principles. Mrs. Bland is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She is a daughter of George T. and Sally C. Helm, and was born in Izard County, Ark., September 16, 1859.

Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 930.Transcribed by Anna Newell


Dedrick Blevins is one of the practical and respresentative agriculturists of this region, and from early boyhood has been familiar with the occupation of farming, having learned the details of the work from his father, who was a worthy tiller of the soil. He is the owner of a good farm of 140 acres, of which about sixty-five are under cultivation, and his property is well improved with good buildings, fences, etc., and is also well stocked with the necessary animals for successfully conducting the same. He was born in Sullivan County, Tenn, March 20, 1847, and is a son of W K and Rachel (Morgan) Blevins, who were also Tennesseeans, the former's birth occurring in Sullivan County June 26, 1818, and the latter's on the 28th of April, 1822. In connection with his farm work the father was engaged in blacksmithing, which occupation he followed on his farm of 160 acres. He died on the 3d of October, 1865, having been an earnest member of the Christian Church for many years, but his wife, who is a member of the Baptist Church, still lives and resides with her son, John W, on the old homestead. Her family consisted of nine children, whose names are as follows: Mary, Eliza, Nathaniel, Hilley A, Thomas W, Lydia, Henry B, John W and Dedrick. Seven of these children reside in the State of Arkansas, the last named child having been reared and educated in Izard County, acquiring a fair education in the common schools. After attaining manhood he was married to Miss Lucy Davidson, their marriage being consummated on the 10th of September, 1868, and to them have been born nine children, five sons and four daughters, six of the family being still alive and residing with their parents: David G, Emily C, Lydia F, Bartholomew, Owen A, and an infant. Mr. Blevins joined the Confederate army June 8, 1864, and after serving under Gen. Price, was discharged in 1865. He has held the office of school director and constable, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, pg. 930-931. Transcribed by Anna Newell.


Charles Henry Boatman was born in the State of Tennessee in 1844, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Shore) Boatman, who were born in Georgia and Tennessee, respectively, the former's birth occurring in 1786, and their marriage in Tennessee in 1838.  Four sons and three daughters were born to them:  William E., Richard, Wiley, Lucinda, Elizabeth J., Eliza F. and Charles Henry.  Mr. Boatman was a farmer and died in 1861, followed by his wife, whose death occurred in Izard County in 1886.  They removed to this State in 1850 and entered 160 acres in Izard County, on which they erected a little log cabin, which continued to be their home for a number of years.  John Boatman enlisted in the Confederate Infantry under Capt. Thomas Smith in 1861 and at the battle of Shiloh, he was wounded in the head.  He was also at Franklin, Nashville and Chickamauga, Tenn., besides being a participant in many other hard fought battles, and served until the war closed.
Charles H. Boatman came with his parents to this county and State, but received a somewhat limited education in the schools of Izard County.  He was married here in 1860 to Miss Sarah, a daughter of Henry Hose, and of nine children born to them seven are living:  Rebecca J, Lucinda E., Ira E., Joseph B., Franklin A., Jasper O., Lewis H. and William W. and Andrew C., deceased.  Mr. Boatman owns eighty acres of good land, with thirty under cultivation and on his farm he erected a substantial frame residence, in 1885, and an addition to the same in 1888.  His principal crops are corn, cotton and small grain.  His wife, who was born in the State of Tennessee in 1843 is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
 
Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 931. Transcribed by Anna Newell.

James H. Bone is a native of Izard County, born on the 18th of June, 1857, and is one of five living members of a family of ten chiildren born to the marriage of A. W. Bone and Sarah L. McKee, both Tennesseeans, the former's birth occurring on the 8th of October, 1826.  He gave his attention to farming throughout life, and is now residing on his farm of 200 acres in Izard County, Ark., there being about seventy-five acres of his land under cultivation.  He and wife are church members, he being a member of the Old School Presbyterian, and they are substantial residents of the county.  James H. Bone received a good practical education in his youth, and learned the rudiments of farm life from his father, who was a practical agriculturist, and by attending strictly to his chosen calling he has done much to advance the reputation the county enjoys as a properous farming community.  He is careful and painstaking in the cultivation of his land, and very thorough in everything connected with its management, and of the 180 acres which he possesses he has about sixty acres under cultivation.  He was married, in his native county, on the 7th of February 1878 to Miss Amanda M. Taylor, a daughter of Stephen and Arena Taylor.  Stephen Taylor was born in North Carolina, but moved to Tennessee at an early day and married there.  He then came to Arkansas, after which his wife died, and later he married Miss Arena Hinkle, who still survives, a resident of Izard County.  She was born in the State of Tennessee.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Bone five children have been born:  Fannie E., William H., Sarah A., Stephen W. and Samuel J.  Mr. Bone has held a number of local offices in his township, and he has always been ready and willing to support enterprises of a worthy character.  He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.  Mr. Bone's paternal grandfather came from Tennessee to Arkansas in 1840, and his great-grandfather, McKee, was born in Ireland.  He went from there to Virginia.  Grandfather McKee was born in Virginia in 1801 or 1802, and moved from there to Tennessee, and in 1851 he came to Arkansas.

Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 931-932.Transcribed by Anna Newell.


W. L. Bramblette is a farmer of Izard County, and although his land only amounts to eighty acres yet his farm is so well tilled that it yields a larger income than many larger farms.  He was born in Murray County, Ga, July 8, 1851, he being one of five sons and three daughters born to the marriage of Wiley Bramblette and Mary A. Howard, whose birthplace was in the "Palmetto State," where they were reared and married.  A the time of the father's death, which occurred in August, 1861, he owned about 200 acres of land in Izard County, Ark., whither he had moved in the year 1856.  His wife survives him and lives with her son, W. L. Bramblette, our subject.  He was a Mason in good standing at the time of his death.  W. L. Bramblette received the advantages of the common schools of Izard County in his youth, and after attaining manhood was married in this county to Miss Sarah Mosier, whose native State was Arkansas, their nuptials being celebrated on the 27th of May, 1877, and to them were born five children, whose names are as follows:  Owen M., Minnie A., Arah B., Buggie and Della C., all residing at home.  Mr. Bramblette is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and was president of this organization for one year.  The family are attendants at the Baptist Church, to which our subject and his wife belong, and they are liberal contributors to enterprises tending to benefit the community in which they reside.

Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 932. Transcribe by Anna Newell.


G. W. Bray is one of the rising young farmers of this region, and since starting out in life for himself he has applied himself steadfastly to agricultural pursuits, and with what success may be inferred when we mention the fact that since 1881 he has owned a good farm of 193 acres.  He was born in Mississippi in 1851, and is a son of William and Permelia (Aikin) Bray, who were natives of Tennessee, but moved to Mississippi at an early day, where they engaged in farming, and reared their family of ten children, only two of whom are now living.  Mr. Bray died in 1843, and in 1868 Mrs. Bray and her son, G. W., came to Arkansas (Whither her daughter Pernelia, wife of W. F. Raider had previously come), their journey being made in an ox-cart, which they had borrowed.  Mr. Bray now says at that time he had only $2.00 in cash, and that the oxen were borrowed from W. Garner, and the cart from Sandford Hames.  The first two years after coming here he raised crops on shares, and then entered land, purchasing, in 1870, his first horse, for which he paid the sum of $80, $30 of which he earned by picking cotton on the bottom lands, and the balance he paid the following year.  In 1871 he married Miss Alice Nail, who bore him five children:  John H., born in 1872; Martha B., born in 1873; William A., born in 1877; George W., born in 1879, and Newton E., born in 1882.  This wife died in 1883.  In 1881 he purchased his present property, and has thrity acres under cultivation and seventy-five acres improved with good fences, buildings, orchards, etc., his building especially being in excellent condition.  This property has all been acquired through unremitting toil and judicious management, and he may with truth be called one of the self-made men of the county.  He always favors public improvement, and although he never went to school a day in his life he is making every effort to give his children, Permelia R., Isaac R., Mary B. and Ellen E., the advantages of which he was deprived.  Before coming to Arkansas, and for two years after, he supported his mother out of his wages earned by daily labor, and for this filial care if for nothing else he deserves the respect of his fellowmen; and when it is taken into consideration that he has manfully fought his way up to his present position, and that he has been honest and upright in all his dealings, words are but meager things with which to express the admiration his conduct commands.  In his political views he is a Democrat, and socially he is a member of the I. O. O. F.  His wife, whom he married in 1883, was formerly a Miss Docia Hames.

Source: Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, c1891, Goodspeed Publishing Co, p. 932-933. Transcribed by Anna Newell.


E A Brown, one of the worthy residents of Izard County, Ark, was born in Hall County, Ga, on the 16th of August 1824, and is a son of William and Nancy (Grimes) Brown, whose native State was South Carolina, the former's birth occurring in 1797. They were reared and married in their native State, and their union resulted in the births of four sons and five daughters, E A Brown being the only one of the family now living. The father was a carpenter by occupation, and died on the 26th of December, 1880. His death being followed by his wife's on the 9th of January following. They were worshipers in, and consistent members of, the Presbyterian Church, and were worthy and honored residents of the community in which they resided. E A Brown was educated in the State of Georgia, near Lawrenceville, and after reaching manhood, was married there on the 14th of August, 1845, to Miss Susan Long, she being a native of the "Palmetto State," and a daughter of James and Margaret Long, At the time of his marriage Mr. Brown only owned a horse worth about $40, but, with the push and energy for which he has always been remarkable, he set bravely to work, and with the aid of his intelligent and estimable wife he has become the owner of 1,400 acres of land in Izard County and 900 acres in Sharp County, about 875 acres of which are under cultivation. He is a member of the Masonic lodge, is a Democrat, in his political views, and on the breaking out of the late war he enlisted in the First Georgia Cavalry, under Col. Morrison, and his first hard fight was near Knoxville, Tenn. He was discharged at Jacksonport in 1865. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church, and are the parents of the following children: Henry, Wiley, Jane and Mollie.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 933 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


W A Brumitt, farmer, Franklin, Ark. This successful farmer was born in Fulton County, Ark, in 1859, and when only eleven years of age started out to fight life's battle for himself. He first commenced as a hired hand, and for his services was boarded and clothed the first year, but the second year the same man paid him $12 a month for his labor, he continued working by the month on a farm until seventeen years of age, when he began traveling, and thus enjoyed himself for about twelve months, visiting as far north as Illinois and Kentucky, and as far south as Texas and the Indian Nation. When eighteen years of age he rented land and farmed in Sharp County, and when nineteen years of age he farmed and ran a cotton-gin. After this he rented the Wolf mill and conducted that for two years, after which he embarked in the distillery business for twelve months. In 1884 he bought his present property, consisting of 220 acres, with eighty under cultivation, and had this farm cultivated until 1889, when he took charge of the place himself. He was married in December, 1878, to Miss. Rebecca Jackson, a native of this county, and born on the farm where they now reside. They are the parents of four children: Lucy A, W P, Clara and James H. Mr. Brumitt has discharged the duties of Justice of the Peace in his township, and is now director of the public schools. He is a self made man in every sense of the word and deserves the esteem of all for his enterprise and perseverance, His educational advantages, as might be supposed, were rather limited, but by reading and observation he has become a well informed man. He is a Republican and is alive to the political issues of the day. His parents were R H and Elizabeth A. (Morris) Brumitt, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. R H Brumitt moved to Arkansas in 1857, entering land on Strawberry River, Fulton County, but only resided there three years, when he moved to Independence County, settling in the northeast part of the same. In 1862 he moved to Illinois, settling in Johnson County, and there remained for four years. In 1867 he came back to his farm in Independence County, remained there until 1869, when he moved to Sharp County and there bought a farm of 360 acres. In 1883 he sold this farm and moved to Izard County, locating near the center of the county on a farm of 340 acres. He has been married three times; first, to the mother of the subject of this sketch, and they became the parents of two children: Nathaniel (deceased) and W A. Mrs. Brumitt was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died in 1867, at the age of fifty- two years. Mr. Brumitt's second marriage was to Mrs. P M Hotchkiss, nee Shanks, and they had six children. five now living: Martha, wife of William Fry; James F, resides in this county; Susan J, at home; Lucy F, Daniel H and Mary A. (deceased). Mrs. Brumitt was a worthy member of the Baptist Church, and died in 1881. By his third marriage, to Mrs. Mahala Thompson, nee Richardson. he became the father of one child, Naomi A. Mr. Brumitt is a member of the I O O F lodge. and is still quite an active man. He is a Republican, but does not take a very active part in polities. Mrs. Brumitt is a me mber of the Primitive Baptist Church.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 933 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


Joseph L Byler was born in Middle Tennessee, in 1834, his father, John Byler, being also born in that State in 1797. The latter was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was the captain of a company, afterward being promoted to major. and this latter position he held until the close of the war. In the year 1820 he united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss. Middia Adkinson, a daughter of John Adkinson, and to their union seven children have been born, two of whom are now living: Mary and Joseph L. He removed from Tennessee to Izard County. Ark, in the year 1847, and obtained a land warrant from the government for 160 acres of land, which he farmed with success up to the time of his death, in 1873. His wife died in Bedford County, Tenn, in 1844. At the age of eighteen years Joseph L. Byler engaged in farming and stock raising, and in these two enterprises, which have been his chief calling through life, he has met with marked success. He owns 250 acres of land on Rocky Bayou, and has about ninety acres under cultivation, which he devotes principally to the raising of cotton, corn and small grain. In addition to this, he owns a large cotton-gin and grist mill. which he has operated for the past twelve years, last year putting up 166 bales of cotton, and since 1887 he has been engaged in merchandising, and has a fair patronage. Since Cleveland's administration he has held the office of postmaster of Alder, and socially is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow's fraternities. He is a thorough, enterprising business man, has a host of friends, and is recognized by all as a good citizen. In 1854 he was married to Rachel, the daughter of John and Elizabeth Gray, of Izard County, but she died in 1868, leaving him with a family of five children to care for: Augusta C, Mary E, Mentian, Sarah J and Rachel R. In 1871 he was married to his second wife, whose maiden name was Lettie W. Woody, she being a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Woody, of Izard County. They have a family of three children: Dixie E, Joseph G and Edna. Mr. Byler served in the Confederate army under Capt. Gibson and Col. Shaler from 1861 to 1865, being in the infantry, and was a participant in a number of battles. He is now a stanch Democrat in his political views, and for a number of years has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Source: Biographical and Historican Menoirs of Izard County, Arkansas by Goodspeed page 934 original published 1889 . Transcribed by Mary Lafferty Wilson


©2006-2008 Izard County Arkansas Genealogy Trails

Return to Biography index

Return to Main Index

Return to Arkansas Genealogy Trails