COUNTY HISTORY

Johnson County Arkansas Genealogy Trails

Early County History

Post Offices--Past and Present



EARLY COUNTY HISTORY

   Johnson County was created from part of Pope County by the act of November 16, 1833 and was named for Benjamin Johnson, who was appointed one of the territorial judges in 1820 and held the office until the state was admitted in 1836. He was a descendant of one of the old families of Virginia, learned in the law, and after Arkansas was admitted he held the office of Federal district judge until his death in 1849. His son, Robert W. Johnson represented Arkansas in the Lower House of Congress from 1847 to 1853. The county is located in the northwestern part of the state and has an area of 675 square miles. On the north it is bounded by Madison and Newton counties; on the east by Pope County; on the south by the Arkansas River, which separates it from Logan County, and on the west by Franklin County. The surface is diversified, ranging from the Valley of the Arkansas in the southern part to the mountainous region in the northern part. Considerable coal mining is done in this county.

The act creating the county directed that the temporary seat of justice should be at the house of Elijah B. Alston, one of the pioneers, and that commissioners should be elected in January, 1834, to locate a permanent county seat. Some delay occurred and it was not until 1836 that the county seat was established at Clarksville, where it has since remained. The first county officers were: George Jameson, judge; Thomas Janette, clerk; S. F. Mason, sheriff: J. P. Kessie, coroner.  Felix I. Batson, W. W. Floyd and Jordan E. Cravens were among the leading lawyers of the county before the Civil war.

   About five miles north of Clarksville is a cave, known as the "Rock House," in an outcrop of red sandstone. It extends into the rock for some twenty-five feet and is divided into two rooms connected by an archway which has the appearance of having been washed out by some ancient flood. On the walls of one of the rooms is an example of Indian picture writing, consisting of figures of what seem to be turtles, lizards and other reptiles. These hieroglyphics have never been translated.

The county is divided into twenty-two townships, to wit: Batson, Dickerson, Grant, Hickey, Hill, Horsehead, Howell, King, Lee, Low Gap, McKennon, Mulberry, Perry, Pilot Rock, Piney, Pittsburg, Prairie, Red Lick, Sherman, Spadra, Stonewall and Ward.

   The only railroad in the county is the Little Rock & Fort Smith division of the Missouri Pacific system, which follows the course of the Arkansas River. Clarksville and Coal Hill are the largest towns. Lamar (railroad name, Cabin Creek) is an incorporated banking town on the railroad five miles east of Clarksville. It has a weekly newspaper, sawmills, a large stone quarry, general stores, and a population of 542. Montana and Spadra are coal mining towns. Other villages are Hartman, Knoxville, Linville and Piney. The population of the county in 1920 was 21,062, a gain of 1,364 in ten years.  (Source - Centennial History of Arkansas 1922; contributed by Tina Easley.)





POST OFFICES--PAST AND PRESENT

Adler (1881/1884)
Bashams Mills (1849-1853)
Batson (1890-1933)
Baxter (1871-1873)
Berlin (1880-1893)
Black Fox (1873-1877)
Bolesville (1871-1880)
Brink (1904-1913)
Brownsville (1850-1851)
Butts Store (1875-1884)
Cabin Creek (1874-1887)
Calico (1870-1872)
Caperton (1898/1909)
Catalpa (1902/1951)
Clarksville (1841-Date)
Clifton (1838-1839)
Cline (1886-1906)
Coal Hill (1876-Date)
Coalburgh (1879-1879)
Cobbsville (1851-1866)
Cobbville (1878-1887)
Cyclone (1898/1912)
Dale (1892-1945)
Davis (1890-1907)
Delma (1899-1907)
Devils Knob (1918-1922)
Dillen (1912-1953)
Edna (1908-1918)
Enterprise (1851-1851)
Estep (1878-1879)
Eubanks Mills (1851/1892)
Fort Douglas (1875/1961)
Friley (1901-1933)
Garber (1907/1951)
Garretton (1842-1843)
Georcetown (1858/1871)
Griffins (1850-1855)
Hagarville (1882-Date)
Harmony (1878-1955)
Hartman (1879-Date)
Horse Head (1837/1878)
Hunt (1881-1998)
Hutson (1883-1883)
Jacobs (1897-1912)
Johnson C. H. (1837-1841)
Johnsonville (1875/1882)
Joyner (1879-1880)
Knoxville (1877-Date)
Lamar (1887-Date)
Lebanon (1879/1888)
Logan (1832-1836)
Lonepine (1897/1916)
Ludwig (1888-1915)
Lutherville (1883-1954)
Melson (1883-1892)
Mingo (1901-1906)
Montana (1881/1954)
Morrisons Bluff (1830/1852)
Mount Levi (1875-?1883)
Mouth Of Piney (1867-1868)
Oark (1879-Date)
Ozone (1873-Date)
Payne (1903-1916)
Pekin (1857-1867)
Piney (1844/1934)
Pittsburgh (1839/1872)
Point Meers (1848-1866)
Powers (1888-1911)
Ragon (1912-1914)
Rosetta (1894/1937)
Salus (1922-1980)
Saratoga (1878-1882)
Settle (1912-1913)
Sheadley (1884-1916)
Sparda (1871/1954)
Sparda Bluff (1837-1837)
Tum (1900-1911)
Wardville (1852-1854)
Woodland (1911-1911)
Yale (1892/1940)
Zadock (1890/1931)

Source: Used with permission from Jim Forte at http://www.postalhistory.com/postoffices.asp



Return to Johnson County Index

©2009-2010 Arkansas Genealogy Trails