Montgomery County, Arkansas
Situated southwest of the center of the state is Montgomery County, which was created by the act of December 9, 1842, from part of Hot Spring County. It is supposed to have been named for Richard Montgomery, one of the American generals in the Revolutionary war, who was killed at Quebec on December 31, 1775. Its area is 784 square miles and its average elevation is 700 feet. On the north it is bounded by Scott and Yell counties; on the east by Garland and Hot Spring; on the south by Clark and Pike, and on the west by Polk County. Farming and lumbering are the leading industries.
When the county was established the county seat was located where it is at present, though the place was at first known as Montgomery. In July, 1850, the county court ordered the name changed to Salem, but at the October term the same year it was changed to Mount Ida. On October 26, 1921, the court appropriated $40,000 for a new courthouse. Mount Ida was incorporated on December 14, 1854, and in 1920 reported a population of 298. It is a banking town, has a weekly newspaper, a flourmill, sawmills and woodworking concerns, general stores, a public school, etc. Womble is the nearest railroad station. Womble is an incorporated banking town about ten miles south of Mount Ida. It is the terminus of a branch of the Missouri Pacific railway system that connects with the main line at Gurdon, has a weekly newspaper, large lumbering interests, general stores, etc., and a population of 420. Black Springs, Caddo Gap, Oden and Washita are the principal villages. The population of the county in 1920 was 11,112.
Montgomery is divided into the following townships: Big Fork, Caddo, Caney, Center, Fir, Gap, Gaston, Hazel, Leveruey, Mazarn, Missouri, Ouachita, Parks, Polk, Rock Springs, Scott, Smith, South Fork, Sulphur Springs, Walnut and Womble. [Source: Centennial History of Arkansas, contributed by Tina Easley.]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright GenealogyTrails