Nevada County Arkansas Genealogy Trails
POST OFFICES--PAST AND PRESENT
Nevada County was created by the act of March 20, 1871, out of territory taken from the counties of Columbia, Hempstead and Ouachita, and was named for the State of Nevada. It is situated in the southwestern part of the state: is bounded on the north by Clark and Pike counties; on the east by Ouachita County; on the south by Columbia and Lafayette counties; on the west by Hempstead and Lafayette counties, and has an area of 620 square miles. The surface is slightly rolling, with some level prairie, and is drained by the Little Missouri River, which forms the boundary between Nevada and Clark counties.
When the county was created a place called Mount Moriah was designated as the temporary seat of justice. The first session of the county court was held here on May 8, 1871. At that time the county officers were: D. C. Tuttle, judge: A. B. Parsons, clerk; J. S. Vandergriff, sheriff; T. W. Hammon, treasurer; W. H. Prescott, surveyor; John Meeks, assessor; Samuel Weaver, coroner. At the second session of the court in October, 1871, the commissioners appointed to select a site for a permanent county seat made their report. They reported in favor of Section 21, Township 13 south, Range 21 west, and the court conferred upon the place the name of Rosston. A special election was held on May 19, 1877, to determine whether the county seat should remain at Rosston or be removed to Prescott. The vote was 1,107 votes for removal to 392 against it, and on July 2, 1877, the court issued the order for removal.
Nevada is divided into thirteen civil townships, viz.: Alabama, Albany. Boughton, Caney, Emmet, Georgia, Jackson, Leak, Missouri, Parker, Redland, Taylor and Union. In 1920 the population of the county was 21,934, an increase of 2,590 in ten years.
Among the early settlers in what is now Nevada County was Polly Vaughan, who came from Mississippi and settled on the Little Missouri at the place afterward known as Janes' Ferry, where she kept a hotel for many years. Nick Trammel also had a house of entertainment on the Terre Rouge Creek. Other pioneers were Jonathan West and John L. Eads, who settled on Prairie d'Anne, near where the battle of Poison Springs was fought in April, 1864; the Vaughans and a man named Bassett, who settled on the Little Missouri; James Cravens, Joseph White, the Crawfords and a few others, who settled near Nick Trammel, and the Magness family on the Big Caney. After the completion of the Iron Mountain Railroad the settlement was more rapid.
Prescott is the largest and most important town. Emmet, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad near the western boundary, was incorporated on May 5, 1883, and in 1920 reported a population of 420. Bluff City, Bodeaw, Boughton and Rosston are the principal villages. Lumbering is the chief industry in all those places and they are local trading points.
POST OFFICES--PAST AND PRESENT
Arkla Village Rur. Sta. (1964-1972)
Bells Store (1867-1885)
Bluff City (1876-Date)
Bourlands Store (1877-1886)
Cedar Hill (1877-1880)
Mount Moriah (1844/1918)
Source: Used with permission from Jim Forte at http://www.postalhistory.com/postoffices.asp
Return to Nevada County Index
©2009-2010 Arkansas Genealogy Trails