SEBASTIAN COUNTY, ARKANSAS
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails Logo

line
Biographies
line


    JAMES WOODSON BATES
    James Woodson Bates, brother of Edward Bates, a Delegate from the Territory of Arkansas; born in Goochland County, VA, August 25, 1788; attended Yale College and was graduated from Princeton College in 1807; studied law; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Virginia; moved to St. Louis, Mo., in 1816, and thence to the Post of Arkansas in 1819; elected as first Delegate from Arkansas to the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Congresses and served from December 21, 1819 to March 3, 1823; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1822 to the Eighteenth Congress; resumed the practice of law in Batesville, Ark.; judge of the fourth judicial circuit of Arkansas Territory 1824-1828; judge of the superior court of Arkansas 1828-1832; delegate to the Arkansas state constitutional convention in 1835; judge of the probate court of Crawford County in 1836; register of the land office in Clarksville 1841-1845; died in Van Buren, Crawford County, Ark., December 26, 1846; interment in the family burying ground at Moores Rock, Crawford (now Sebastian) County, Ark. --Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present.

    JAMES WOODSON BATES
    Born in Virginia in 1788; graduated at Princeton I 1810; studied law and went to St. Louis in 1816; removed to Arkansas Post in 1819 and set up a law office; elected in 1819 as Arkansas’ first delegate to congress, was re-elected again in 1821, but was defeated by Henry W. Conway in 1823; moved to the new town of Batesville (which was named for him) and began practicing law there; appointed in 1825 by President Jackson as a judge of the superior court of the Territory of Arkansas; moved to Crawford County about 1829 and, marrying a wealthy widow, settled on a large plantation below Van Buren; was a member of the constitutional convention of 1836; afterwards registrar of the land office at Clarksville.  He was a brother of Edwards Bates, Lincoln’s attorney general. Bates died in 1846 and was buried on what is known as the Moore farm in Sebastian County just across the river from Van Buren.  His grave is unmarked.
    (Sources of Information:  Shinn’s School History of Arkansas, pp. 84-85; Hallum’s Biographical and Pictorial History of Arkansas, pp. 135-137; Mr. J. E. Lark of Van Buren.  After the above was written a very excellent article in the Arkansas Intelligencer (Van Buren) of Jan. 16, 1847.  This was furnished through the kindness of Miss Clara B. Eno of Van Buren.  There is some difference in the accounts given by the authorities, but the differences are not material, so no change was made on the receipt of the copy of the Intelligencer, though it is a good article.  Hon. D. W. Moore of Van Buren is a relative of Bates and would doubtless answer any questions addressed to him. Source for Transcription:  Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association, edited by John Hugh Reynolds, Vol. 1 (1908); transcribed by Renae Donaldson.)

    OSCAR DAVID BENNETT
    BENNETT, OSCAR DAVID, Secretary Mexican Petroleum Company, Los Angeles, California, was born near Fort Smith, Arkansas, March 27, 1874, the son of James Thomas and Louise E. (Remy) Bennett. Mr. Bennett's great-grandfather, David Riggs, saw service in the War of 1812, and his father was a soldier and participated in the War of the Rebellion. Mr. Bennett was married to Mrs. Margaret Burke at Santa Barbara, California, June 30, 1903. Mr. Bennett's early education was acquired in the public schools of Arkansas. When he was ten years old his family removed to Southern California, where he continued his schooling until the age of sixteen, when he was obliged to terminate his school days to help his father on the family ranch near Los Angeles. He continued to aid the family fortunes until 1895, when, with his mind set on a commercial career, he went to Los Angeles and entered a business college, where he took up bookkeeping and kindred studies. On his graduation from the business college in June, 1895, he entered the employ of Dewey Brothers' Photograph Supply House, as a bookkeeper. He remained in that position several years. In 1901 he took a position in the office of the Los Angeles Times, but remained there only a short time. In 1902 he entered the employ of the Mexican Petroleum Company as bookkeeper. This position was the first one that offered ample scope for the ability Mr. Bennett possessed as an accountant and office executive. The handling of the immense business of the Mexican Petroleum Company, covering the output of vast oil producing properties on the east coast of Mexico, entailed careful attention to minute detail covering production and marketing and the many processes involved in those two fields of endeavor. Looking after the accounts of the allied corporations covers no small part of the duties that fell to Mr. Bennett. Mr. Bennett's unflagging attention to the business of the company, which at that time was beginning to increase its holdings and the skillful handling of the tasks placed before him, won the quick commendation of the heads of the company. Exactly two years after he had entered its employ he was elected secretary by the directorate of this corporation. In Mr. Bennett the company had secured an executive of mathematical precision and accuracy, whose thorough knowledge of the thousand intricacies of the business the directors were quick to realize and reward. At the time Mr. Bennett joined the Mexican Petroleum Company it was beginning to absorb other companies and their holdings, and in the work of handling these added properties Mr. Bennett was one of the chief factors. While working with the company Mr. Bennett carefully nursed his earnings and, investing them from time to time in the stock of the various corporations, he in a few years became one of the more prominent stockholders. During these years he became closely associated with E. L. Doheny and C. A. Canfleld, who stood well in the fore rank of the American oil industry. Indicative of the confidence that had been placed in Mr. Bennett by the Doheny interests is the fact that he has been made secretary of each new independent company as it came under the control of the parent corporation. He is now secretary and a director of the following corporations: The Mexican Petroleum Company, Huasteca Petroleum Company, Mexican Asphalt Paving and Construction Company, Mexican National Gas Company, Southern Oilfields Company, the Petroleum Transport Company and other of the associated interests. The various Mexican interests in which Mr. Bennett is so closely associated have succeeded in passing through the long period of Mexican uprising, suffering practically no disturbances themselves. This is due, it is stated, to the fact that they have maintained an absolutely impartial attitude toward all factions and have treated their thousands of employees with perfect fairness. According to the most authentic reports, practically no disturbances have occurred within the vicinity of the Mexican Petroleum Company. Mr. Bennett, since moving to Southern California, has made his headquarters in Los Angeles, although he is frequently on extensive business trips to the holdings of the various companies in Mexico. Mr. Bennett has never overlooked the social side of his life in spite of his busy career. He is a member of the Los Angeles Athletic and Sierra Madre Clubs. He is also a member of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and of the City Club, and the leading civic organizations of Los Angeles and is a regular attendant at their conferences. [Source:  Press Reference Library - West Edition - Notables of the West - 1915 : Being the portraits and biographies of the progressive men of the west who have helped in the development and history making of this wonderful county, Volume II.]

    GEORGE W. BENTON
    George W. Benton, whose death occurred at Fort Smith, Ark., November 14, 1913, was born at Athens, Tenn., in 1843. His parents moved to Walker County, Ga., when he was but four years of age. Soon afterwards they went to Chattooga County, where he grew to manhood. He enlisted in Company B, 9th Georgia Infantry, in April, 1861, and served with Tige Anderson's Brigade, McLaws's Division, Longstreet's Corps, A. N. V., participating in most of the battles of his command and surrendering at Appomattox. In 1880 Comrade Benton moved to a farm near Fayetteville, Ark., and was identified there with the Pat Cleburne Camp, U. C V., of which he was Ensign. He was always proud of his flag. A worthy son and three daughters survive him. He had been a member of the M. E. Church, South, for thirty years. [The Confederate Veteran, Vol 22, Issue 5, 1914, p. 228

    CLIFTON RODES BRECKINRIDGE
    BRECKINRIDGE, Clifton Rodes, (son of John Cabell Breckinridge and great-grandson of John Breckinridge), a Representative from Arkansas; born near Lexington, Ky., November 22, 1846; attended the rural schools; served in the Confederate Army and was a midshipman in the Navy; after the Civil War he attended Washington College (now Washington and Lee University), Lexington, Va., for three years; settled near Pine Bluff, Ark., in 1870 and engaged in cotton planting and in the commission business for 13 years; elected as a Democrat to the Forty-eighth, Forty-ninth, and Fiftieth Congresses (March 4, 1883-March 3, 1889); presented credentials as a Member-elect to the Fifty-first Congress and served from March 4, 1889, until September 5, 1890, when John M. Clayton was declared to have been duly elected, but, owing to the death of Mr. Clayton while the contest was pending, the seat was declared vacant; subsequently elected to the Fifty-first Congress to fill the vacancy thus caused; reelected to the Fifty-second and Fifty-third Congresses and served from November 4, 1890, to August 14, 1894, when he resigned to accept a consular position; unsuccessful candidate for renomination for Congress in 1894; appointed Minister to Russia by President Cleveland July 20, 1894, and served until December 13, 1897, when he returned to Pine Bluff, Ark.; member of the Dawes Commission, 1900-1905; engaged in banking at Fort Smith, Ark., serving as president of the Arkansas Valley Trust Co.; member of the State constitutional convention in 1917; was a resident of Fort Smith, Ark., until 1925, when he moved to Wendover, Leslie County, Ky., where he died on December 3, 1932; interment in Old Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Ky. [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present; transcribed by A. Newell.]

    JAMES BRIZZOLARA
    Brizzolara, James, lawyer and jurist of Fort Smith, Ark., was born Jan. 9, 1848, in Richmond, Va. He served as United States commissioner; and has been mayor of his city. In 1906 he was president of the Alabama state bar association. [Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, Transcribed by AFOFG]

    R. A. CLARKSON
    R. A. CLARKSON died at his home, in Fort Smith, Ark., on October 17, 1913. He was born in Richmond, Va., and at the age of seventeen he enlisted in the Confederate army, and for four years rode with the famous J. E. B. Stuart's cavalry. He was one of the survivors of the battle of Gettysburg. His captain was Edwin Bouldin. In the death of Comrade Clarkson, Fort Smith loses one of its pioneer citizens and the Confederate Camp a devoted member. He was a devoted husband, a noble Christian, and a patriotic citizen, beloved by all who knew him. [Source: THE CONFEDERATE VETERAN MAGAZINE, Vol 22, Issue 1, 1914.]

    WILLIAM BEN CRAVENS
    CRAVENS, William Ben, (father of William Fadjo Cravens and cousin of Jordan Edgar Cravens), a Representative from Arkansas; born in Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Ark., January 17, 1872; attended the common schools, Louisville (Ky.) Military Academy, and Staunton (Va.) Military Academy; was graduated from the law department of the University of Missouri at Columbia in 1893; was admitted to the Arkansas bar the same year and commenced practice in Fort Smith, Ark.; city attorney of Fort Smith 1898-1902; served as prosecuting attorney for the twelfth judicial district of Arkansas 1902-1908; elected as a Democrat to the Sixtieth, Sixty-first, and Sixty-second Congresses (March 4, 1907-March 3, 1913); was not a candidate for reelection in 1912 to the Sixty-third Congress; resumed the practice of law; elected to the Seventy-third and to the three succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1933, until his death in Washington, D.C., on January 13, 1939; interment in Oak Cemetery, Fort Smith, Ark. [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-present; transcribed by A. N.]

    WILLIAM FADIO CRAVENS
    CRAVENS, William Fadjo, (son of William Ben Cravens), a Representative from Arkansas; born in Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Ark., February 15, 1899; attended the public schools, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa., and was graduated from the law school of Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va., in 1920; was admitted to the bar in 1920 and commenced practice at Fort Smith, Ark.; during the First World War served as a seaman in the United States Navy; city attorney of Fort Smith, Ark., for ten years; elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-sixth Congress, by special election, September 12, 1939, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of his father, William Ben Cravens; reelected to the four succeeding Congresses and served from September 12, 1939, to January 3, 1949; was not a candidate for renomination in 1948 to the Eighty-first Congress; died in Fort Smith, Ark., April 16, 1974; interment in Forest Park.  [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-present; transcribed by A.N.]

    JOHN EDWARDS
    EDWARDS, John, a Representative from Arkansas; born in Louisville, Jefferson County, Ky., October 24, 1805; received a limited schooling; studied law and was admitted to the bar; moved to Indiana, where he served in the State house of representatives in 1845 and 1846; moved to California, and in 1849 was elected an alcalde; returned to Indiana in 1852; member of the State senate in 1853; moved to Chariton, Iowa, in 1855; member of the Iowa constitutional convention; served in the State house of representatives 1856-1860, the last two years as speaker of the house; founder in 1857 of the Patriot, a newspaper; appointed lieutenant colonel May 21, 1861, on the staff of the Governor of Iowa; colonel of the Eighteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, August 8, 1862; brigadier general of Volunteers September 26, 1864; at the close of the war settled in Fort Smith, Ark.; appointed by President Johnson as United States assessor of internal revenue and served from August 15, 1866, to May 31, 1869; presented credentials of election as a Liberal Republican to the Forty-second Congress and served from March 4, 1871, to February 9, 1872, when he was succeeded by Thomas Boles, who contested the election; was not a candidate for renomination; settled in Washington, D.C., and died there April 8, 1894; interment in Arlington National Cemetery. [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-present; transcribed by A. Newell]

    JOHN SEBASTIAN LITTLE
    John Sebastian Little, a Representative from Arkansas; born at Jenny Lind, Sebastian County, Ark., March 15, 1853; attended the common schools and Cane Hill College, Arkansas; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1874 and commenced practice in Greenwood, Ark; elected district attorney in 1877, and reelected for four successive terms; member of the State House of Representatives in 1884; elected circuit judge in 1886 for a term of four years; chosen chairman of the State Judicial Convention in 1893; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-third Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Clifton R. Breckinridge; reelected to the Fifty-fourth and to the five succeeding Congresses and served from December 3, 1894 until January 14, 1907, when he resigned, having been elected Governor of Arkansas; after being sworn in as Governor in January 1907, he suffered a physical and mental breakdown, from which he did not recover; died in Little Rock, Pulaski County, Ark., October 29, 1916; interment in City Cemetery, Greenwood, Ark. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-present.]

    JOHN W. McCONNELL, M. D.
    John W. McConnell, M. D., of Huntington, Ark., is a native of Missouri, having been born December 28, 1855, in Jasper county of that state, where his father, Samuel C. McConnell, was a farmer. When he was about a year old his parents removed to Arkansas, settling at Bonanza, in Sebastian county. Here he attended the common schools, receiving a good, practical education, after which he attended the academy at Cane Hill, Ark., and in 1884 was graduated from the medical department of the Arkansas University. Doctor McConnell began his practice at Hackett, but after five years he removed to Huntington, where he has ever since been located and where he has built up a good patronage. In 1891 he went to New York and took a course in the post graduate school of that city, and in 1902 and 1903 he took similar courses in the Chicago Post Graduate school. While he has a general practice, he rather inclines to surgery as a specialty, and has more than a local reputation in this line. For more than ten years he has been the railroad surgeon of the "Frisco" line, and is a member of the society of railway surgeons in the employ of that company. He is also a surgeon for the Kansas & Texas, and the Prairie Creek Coal companies, having held the position ever since the companies were organized. For eight years he was one of the county medical examiners, and is now the medical examiner for quite a number of the leading old line life insurance companies. He is a member of the American and the Arkansas State Medical associations, Tenth Chancellor District Medical association and of the Sebastian County Medical society. Doctor McConnell is one of the most enterprising men in Huntington and is always in favor of anything that will help the city's progress. He owns an interest in five hundred acres of zinc lands in Marion county, Ark., and a number of acres on the outside besides his property in Huntington, consisting of several business buildings and a number of residences. In Masonry he has reached the degree of Knight Templar, and he also belongs to the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, and the Methodist Church South, in which he is one of the stewards. In educational matters he takes an active interest, having served as a member of the school board. He was married to Miss Sarah, the daughter of the Rev. X. B. McNabb, a Presbyterian minister of Bonanza, in 1879, and they have three children: Samuel Paul, now a student at the University Medical college in  St. Louis; Ruby, also a student; while the elder son, John L., a graduate of the Arkansas University, is a civil engineer, and a bridge and steel contractor, being at present with Wardell & Hedids of Kansas City, Mo.  [Source - Weston Arthur Goodspeed, 1904; contributed by Tina Easley]

    General JAMES McINTOSH
    McIntosh was a West Pointer.  He had been located at Ft. Smith before the war.  He was finally made major general.  He was in the prime of life at the time of his death which occurred at the battle of Pea Ridge in 1862.  His body rests in the beautiful cemetery on the banks of the Poteau at Ft. Smith (Federal cemetery).  He is buried in section 3, grave 549.  His grave is marked by a plain marble shaft about eight feet high.  On one side of this monument are the words: "Brig-Gen. James McIntosh, C. S. A., Killed at Pea Ridge March 8, 1862." (Sources of Information:  Rev. M. McN. McKay of Ft. Smith, Ark.  Rev. McKay mentions the name of Mr. Henry Kuper as a source concerning facts about Gen. McIntosh.  Mr. Kuper was a member of the 3d Ark. infantry, C.S.A. Source for Transcription:  Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association, edited by John Hugh Reynolds, Vol. 1 (1908); transcribed by Renae Donaldson.)

    ISAAC C. PARKER
    Born in Belmont County, Ohio, October 15, 1838; educated in the country schools and at Barnsville academy; admitted to practice law by the supreme court of Ohio in 1859; removed to St. Joseph, Missouri, in the same year and began practicing law there; city attorney of St. Joseph, 1861-1864; in addition to his official duties he was under Rosecrans and Curtis and in the state militia during most of the war; presidential elector in 1864 and voted for Lincoln; prosecuting attorney, 1864-1867; elected circuit judge in 1868; resigned and was elected to congress in 1870; reelected in 1872; member (in the forty-third congress) of the appropriations committee having as his colleagues Garfield, Wheeler, Hale and Turner; appointed by President Grant in 1875 as chief justice of Utah, but at the request of the senators of Arkansas he was changed to the bench of the western district of Arkansas and located at Ft. Smith.  He filled this position with signal ability to the close of his life. Judge Parker died November 17, 1896, and was buried in the national cemetery at Ft. Smith.  As yet his grave is unmarked, but the family are preparing to erect a monument to his memory. (Source of Information:  Mr. Jas. J. Parker of Fort Smith, Ark.  Source for Transcription:  Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association, edited by John Hugh Reynolds, Vol. 1 (1908); transcribed by Renae Donaldson.)

    ALBERT PIKE
    Born in Boston, Massachusetts, December 29, 1809; moved with his father when four years of age to Newburyport, Massachusetts; educated at the Newburyport schools and at Harvard; started for the Pacific coast in 1831; changed his plans and arrived at Ft. Smith, Arkansas, in 1832; taught school near Van Buren and frequently wrote for the newspapers; associate editor of the Advocate; assistant secretary of the legislative council in 1833; admitted to the bar in 1834; married the same year to Miss Ann Hamilton of near Arkansas Post; from 1831 on he frequently published his poems and was much complimented on them.  Employed in 1834 to superintend the publication of the revised statutes of Arkansas; proprietor of the Advocate in 1835; law partner of William Cummins soon after this; in 1840 made attorney of the Real Estate Bank and in 1842, one of the trustees; raised a squadron for the Mexican War in 1846 and was made captain; moved his law practice to New Orleans about 1851; resumed practice in Arkansas in 1857; Masonic writer of international reputation and at his death was the highest Mason in the world; brigadier general in the Confederate army; resigned place in the army and took a position on the supreme bench of the State; practiced law in Memphis for two years after the close of the war; editor-in-chief of the Memphis Appeal and president of the state bar association at the same time; moved to Washington city in 1868 where he lived till his death, except a short time at Alexandria, Virginia; associate editor of the Patriot (1868-1870), a Democratic paper published at Washington City; gave up law for literary pursuits in 1879. Pike died in 1891 and was buried in Oak Hill cemetery at Washington city.  His grave has no mark, but the Scottish Rite Masons have erected a magnificent statue to him in the city.  On this statue are these words: “Laborum cius superstites sunt fructus.”
    (Sources of Information:  Sketch is abridged from one given by Mrs. Lillian Pike Roome of Washington, D. C., in volume of Pike’s poems published by Fred W. Allsopp, of Little Rock; facts about burial place were furnished by kindness of Mr. Yvan Pike, of Washington, D. C.  Source for Transcription:  Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association, edited by John Hugh Reynolds, Vol. 1 (1908); transcribed by Renae Donaldson.)

    MAJOR ELIAS RECTOR
    Major Rector has been immortalized by Pike as the “Fine Old Arkansas Gentleman Close to the Choctaw Line.”  He was a Virginian and came to Arkansas in 1825.  He was a surveyor for some time, but finally entered politics.  He was appointed United States marshal for Arkansas and Indian Territory by President Jackson in 1825 and held the office for sixteen years; removed to Ft. Smith in 1837; was superintendent of Indian affairs for several years and was once given $10,000 and a vote of thanks by congress for the admirable way in which he settled our troubles with the Seminoles in Florida. Major Rector died in 1878 and his body rests in Oak cemetery at Ft. Smith.  His grave is marked by a marble monument and the epitaph is as follows: “Elias Rector, born Sept. 28, 1807, died Nov. 22, 1878.” (Sources of Information:  Reynolds’ Makers of Arkansas History, pp. 192-197; Hon. J. F. Weaver of Ft. Smith.  Source for Transcription:  Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association, edited by John Hugh Reynolds, Vol. 1 (1908); transcribed by Renae Donaldson.)

    HON. JOHN H. ROGERS
    JOHN H. ROGERS, of Fort Smith, who represents the Fourth Congressional District of Arkansas in the National Congress, is a native of Bertie County, North Carolina. Here he was born October 9th, 1845. When he was seven years old his parents removed to Mississippi. He volunteered in the Confederate Army when but a mere boy, and served till the close of the war. He received his education at Centre College, in Danville, Kentucky, and at the University of Mississippi, in Oxford, Mississippi, graduating at the University, in 1868, and the same year he was admitted to the Bar. In 1869 he located in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and commenced the practice of his profession. He was elected Circuit Judge in 1877, and was re-elected in 1878, but resigned in May, 1882. He was elected to the Forty-eighth and Forty-ninth Congresses as a Democrat. In his speech on the pensions appropriation bill Mr. Rogers said:
    "Mr. Chairman, the Democratic party now in power may learn a valuable lesson from this testimony. In every Department of this Government to-day nearly every 35 chief of a division and some of the heads of bureaus have been retained. But few changes, comparatively speaking, have been made; and yet the Democratic party, charged with the responsibility of government, must and will be held responsible by the country for the correct administration of affairs. If this improper correspondence, in violation of the rules of the Pension Office, could be secretly and successfully carried on under a Republican administration, to the detriment of the public service and to, the demoralization of that bureau, without detection by its chief until it was brought to light by an examining committee of the House of Representatives, what may we expect when these same people are retained in office under an administration to which they are unfriendly? I invite the attention of the country to the candid consideration of the question presented. This very man Jacobs, of whom I have spoken, and Welty, also, are still in the Pension Office; and many other persons whose names have been mentioned in this evidence are still in the public service, some of them in important places. There are other branches of the public service subjected to the same abuses that sprung up in the Pension Office. The railway mail service, for instance, ramifies the entire country, and is out from under the immediate supervision of the heads of the Departments. I may at some future day have occasion to refer, in this connection, to that branch of the public service. Mr. Chairman, I may be pardoned for this brief digression. I now return to the subject under consideration that I may point out one other abuse in the Pension Office developed by that investigation. During the investigation referred to, the committee required Mr. Brock, a clerk in the Pension Office, whose duty it was to keep an account of the leaves of absence of the various employees of that office, to prepare a statement. He prepared a partial statement, and it is found on pages 238, 229 and 230 of, the published report. It shows that thirty-nine employees in that bureau were absent with pay, in excess of their annual leave, for various periods of time during that War. In almost every instance this leave was granted during the fall elections, and granted by the Acting Secretary of the Interior, Mr. Joslyn, and without the recommendation of the Acting Commissioner of Pensions, Mr. Clarke. Now, Mr. Chairman, these abuses were all developed by that investigation. The attention of Mr. Dudley was called to them. He had every opportunity of reading the testimony, and I believe that in no instance has he been able to explain, upon any reasonable hypothesis, why these abuses were permitted. In many instances he asserted his ignorance of these things; but he could not hope to be otherwise when his own time was being devoted to the Ohio and Indiana campaigns to the neglect of the duties of the Pension Office." [Source:  From the book, OUR GREAT MEN OR THE LEADERS OF THE NATION, by BUTTOLPH, PH. B.,  1887 - Transcribed by Laurie Selpien]

    WILLIAM KING SEBASTIAN
    William King Sebastian, 1812-1865, United States Senator from Arkansas 1848-1861, party-Democrat; born in Centerville, Hickman County, Tenn., in 1812; graduated from Columbia College, Tennessee about 1834; studied law; admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Helena, Ark. in 1835; later became a cotton planter; prosecuting attorney 1835-1837; circuit judge 1840-1843; associate justice of the State Supreme Court 1843-1845; member and president of the State senate 1846-1847; presidential elector on the Democratic ticket in 1846; appointed in 1848 and subsequently elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Chester Ashley; reelected in 1853 and 1859 and served from May 12, 1848 to July 11, 1861, when he was expelled for support of the Confederate insurrection; chairman, Committee on Manufactures (Thirty-first and Thirty-second Congresses), Committee on Indian Affairs (Thirty-third through Thirty-sixth Congresses); returned to Helena, Ark, where he resided during the Civil War and practiced law; after federal troops occupied Helena, Ark, moved to Memphis, Tenn. in 1864 and resumed the practice of law; died in Memphis May 20, 1865; interment near Helena in the Dunn Family burying ground; in 1877, the Senate revoked the resolution of expulsion and paid the full amount of compensation to Sebastian's children. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present]

    JOSEPH HENRY WILLARD
    Written and contributed by Frank E. Vanderbilt, Great-grandson
    After one hundred and six years, Joseph Henry Willard's resting place in Fort Smith's Oak Cemetery has been identified with a monument.
    Joe's 5great-grandfather was Major Simon Willard who immigrated to Cambridge, Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634 from Horsmonden, Kent, England.

    Joe's father, Samuel Morrison Willard, was born in Rockingham, Vermont ca 1812, enlisted in the 3rd Infantry at Albany, New York in 1829 and was stationed in Indian Territory, at Camp Pheonix, which was later to be known as Fort Towson.
    Samuel married Martha G. Oates in Pulaski County Arkansas in 1837.  They had six children, all born at or near Fort Towson, Choctaw Nation.  He was discharged in 1840 with the rank of Sergeant.  It is assumed that he remained at Fort Towson as an Agent for the Quartermaster until about 1850.  He was a Justice of Peace in Crawford County, Arkansas in 1853.  Postmaster at Houchubee, Indian Territory for five months in 1858.  He was listed as living with his family in the Upper Twp, Sebastian County, Arkansas in the 1860 U. S. Census. Samuel was an Agent for the Quartermaster at Fort Smith in 1861.  He was commissioned a Captain, Assistant Commissary of Subsistence GSA on General Albert Pike's staff, 17 February 1862.  His last assignment was Post Commissary at Doaksville where he was on the staff of Major General Samuel Maxey, 15 June 1864.  He remained there until the end of the war.

    Joe, like his father, joined the Confederate cause and enlisted as a Drummer on the roster of A Company, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, Fort Smith Rifles.  The National Archives reports J. Willard as slightly wounded during the battle of Wilson's Creek, Missouri 10 August 1861.  His brother, Charles, was a musician of Captain Spark's Company A, Fort Smith Greys.  His brother, William, had gone to Vermont prior to the Census in 1860 where he was living with his grandparents.  William enlisted in the Union Army, the 2nd Regiment, Company C of the Vermont Volunteer Infantry.  He served four years as a Drummer. During the war the family moved to the Choctaw Nation, where Joe married Susan J. Davis, daughter of Thomas P. and Elizabeth Davis, ca. 1866.  They had five children and lived for some time in the vicinity of the Council House near Trahern Station.  Susan was the postmistress at the Council House Post Office.  She died ca. 1879. After Susan's death the children were sent to live with different aunts.  Joseph remarried. Joseph was a Deputy U. S. Marshal under Marshals Britton, Roots, Sarder, Fagen and Dell.  He quit when Upham was appointed, but was again commissioned as a deputy when Dell became Marshall in 1881.  The following is a story concerning his death which was printed in the Fort Smith Elevator February 6, 1885:  "COME HOME TO DIE, JOE H. WILLARD DIES UNATTENDED AT THE CITY HOTEL IN THIS CITY"
    On Saturday night, January 24th, Joseph Henry Willard, well known in this community and all over Indian Territory, walked into the City Hotel about 10 o'clock and asked for a room, was assigned to one and remained quietly about the hotel, complaining of not feeling well, though he was able to be out every day. He appeared to be in a very despondent frame of mind, and seemed to avoid making his presence in the city generally known.  He ate comparatively nothing and would retire to his room at an early hour in the evening and remained in bed until 10 or 11 o'clock every day.  Mr. Pat Keating usually went to his room before retiring to see if he desired anything, but always met with the same answer, "nothing wanted."  
    Thursday night Joe went to his room about 7 o'clock and retired.  About 10 o'clock Friday some of the boarders sleeping in adjoining rooms heard groans in Willard's room, but as he had been groaning every night some, no attention was paid to it.  About 10 o'clock Pat Keating was called, and going to the room found Joe in a dying condition on the bed, with froth issuing from his mouth.  He immediately sent for a doctor nd endeavored to arouse the dying man, but to no purpose.  Dr. Saunders came in time to witness his death, and pronounced it heart disease, and a corners' jury rendered a verdict in accordance with his views without a post mortem examination of the body. In his overcoat pocket was found an Odd Fellows traveling card and a certificate of membership to a Good Templars Society.  On the back of the latter was written in pencil the following:
    "If anything should happen to me I wish my friends to write to my mother, Mrs. M. G. Willard, Goodland, IT., and also to my wife, Mrs. J. H. Willard, Guilford Centre, Vt.  I am very sick and have been sick ever since I left home.  I am an Odd Fellow, as my traveling card will show, and am entitled to $50 from the lodge for funeral benefits--Wamtrastiquet Lodge No. 5, Brattleborro, Vt.  My effects consisting of one trunk, one valise and umbrella, I would like sent to my mother. J. H. Willard"

    This note contained no date, but was apparently penned on Thursday night as the pencilling was fresh and bright. Joe Willard grew to manhood in this city, but the close of the war found him located in Indian Territory, where he married and for a long time resided at Brazil Station, about 35 miles from here. He was a Deputy U. S. Marshall under Britton, Roots, Sarger & Fagen, but quit that business when Upham was appointed and moved to the Chickasaw Nation near Goodland.  (Goodland is in the Choctaw Nation.  His mother and two sisters lived near Goodland.)

    When Dell was appointed Marshal in 1881, Joe again obtained a commission as deputy, and while over in Texas for the purpose of arresting a party named Harry Tennon, in some way killed a Negro.  He immediately recrossed Red River into the Territory and went home, being pursued by officers from Texas.  When the officers arrived at his house, Joe gave them a successful "stand off" and afte rthey retired he picked up and left the country, since which time he has not been heard of in this part of the country until he turned up here on Sunday night, above stated, and was probably direct from Vermont.  He was well dressed and his trunk contained a good wardrobe both of summer and winter clothing, but he had no money. He stated to Pat Keating that the killing of the Negro in Texas was an accident, but he feared the consequences of trial at time it occurred and left the country to avoid arrest;  that now, Martin, the man who was with him, was dead, and also a Negro that was a witness to the killing; that the affair had completely broken him up; that he was tired of being a fugitive and thought he would go back out there and have the matter settled. He was probably on his way home when he came here.  His death is clothed in considerable mystery, and while some pronounce it suicide, others scout the idea and aver that it was heart disease with which he had been afflicted for some days.  We give the above account in order that the public may be able to judge for themselves. The following letter was also found in his pocket which shows how he has been employed a part of the time since he left the Territory.

    "McLean Asylum, Somerville, Mass. July 29 1883.  This will certify that Joseph H. Willard has been employed as an attendant in this asylum for five and a half months.  In attention to his duties he has been regarded as a well-disposed man, and he is kind hearted and amiable in his dealings with the patients and others.  I think he will undertake to perform faithfully any service for which he may be employed.  Edward Cowles, M. D., Superintendent"
    His remains were interred in the Oak Grove cemetery, and the expense of his funeral will likely be paid by the Odd Fellow Lodge above mentioned of which he was a member in good standing.  His traveling card having been issued to him in January this year." Joseph probably had good reason to flee from Indian Territory.  According to Frederick Calhoun's THE LAWMAN, "U. S. Marshals and their deputies from Indian Territory,"  deputies could count little on the leaky umbrella of federal protection if they were arrested by state authorities.  The Marshals remained exposed to punishment and penalty for any acts they took in line of duty that were not covered by individual laws or court orders." Judge Parker had strict rules concerning a death caused by one of his lawmen.  He demanded that a death which occurred in the process of making an arrest be thoroughly investigated.  Any deputy with sufficient evidence against him had to stand trial for murder.  (Chronicles of Oklahoma, Vol LXVIIi, #2, p.156)
    Joe Willard was buried in Block 6, Range 4, Lot 10, Row 1, Grave 5.  A military type monolith has been erected in his memory.

    T. P. WINCHESTER
    T.P Winchester, attorney at law, of the law firm of Winchester & Bryant, at Fort Smith, Ark., was born in Sumner County, Tenn., in 1850, and is the son of George W. and M. H. (Gaines) Winchester. George W. Winchester was born May 14 1822, in Sumner County, Tenn. He was an attorney, was in the State Legislature before the war, and was a member of the secession convention. He was a Conferderate soldier, was a major on Gen. W. B. Bates staff, and was captured at Missionary Ridge. He was imprisoned at Johnson's Island until the close of the war. He was the seventh son and the youngest child of Gen. James Winchester, an officer of the Revolutionary War and of the War of 1812, and one of the pioneers of Middle Tennessee. The family is of Welsh descent.
    T. P. Winchester was reared in Sumner County, Tenn,. and lived there until 1865, read law under his father, and also studied one year in the University of Virginia. He practiced law in Memphis, Tenn., seven years and in 1880 located in Fort Smith. The present law firm was organized in September, 1883. In Albemarle County, Va., he was married to Miss Nanna Thurman, in the year 1874, and to them have been born three children, one (Agnes) now living. Two died in infancy. Mr. Winchester is a member of the K. of P. and the Methodist Church, South. [Source:  Goodspeed's 1889 History of Sebastian County Arkansas, p.p. 1379-1380.Contributed by Terry Winchester]

    GEORGE WINGFIELD
    WINGFIELD, GEORGE, Mining and Banking, Reno, Nevada, was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas, August 16. 1876, the son of Thomas Y. Wingfield and Martha M. (Spradling) Wingfield. He married Miss Maud Murdoch at San Francisco, California on July 30, l8?8, and to them there have been born three children, of whom a daughter, Jean Wingfield. survives, twin sons having died. Mr. Wingfield's family is an old one in the South, but he has spent the greater part of his life in the West, his parents moving to California in 1881 and to Oregon in 1882. Mr. Wingfield received his early education in the schools of Lakeview, Oregon. His father being engaged in raising cattle, Mr. Wingfield, upon leaving school, became a cowboy and for several years followed this in Southeastern Oregon. In 1896, about the time he attained his majority, he moved to Nevada and that State has been his home ever since. He was engaged in the mining business and other lines for several years after his arrival in the State, but early in his residence there formed a friendship with the late U. S. Senator George S. Nixon, which continued until the death of the latter in 1912. Mr. Wingfield's first mining venture in Nevada was made in copper properties around Golconda and resulted disastrously for him. He was not discouraged, however, and in 1901, when the historic camp of Tonopah was opened, joined the rush to that place. Arriving there April 7, 1901, with limited capital, he engaged in business and by wise investments in mines and mining stocks rapidly accumulated a substantial profit. In October, 1901, he and the late Senator Nixon, a splendid business man, joined forces under the firm name of Nixon and Wingfield and engaged in mining and banking. In 1903, Mr. Wingfield went to the newly-discovered camp of Goldfield, since become, largely through development by him, one of the worldfamous gold-producing districts. He immediately began the purchase of mines, these including the Sandstorm, Kendall and other promising properties, and also became interested in the Columbia Mountain group of twenty-three rich claims. He and his associates started at once on the development of these properties and also became interested in a lease on the property of the Florence Mining Company, from which they drew profits of $750,000 in a remarkably short space of time. During the period from 1904 and 1906 the firm of Nixon and Wingfield added to their holdings the famous Mohawk, Laguna and other properties in Goldfield, including the Red Top and Jumbo mines. In 1906 he formed the Mohawk, Red Top, Jumbo and Laguna mines into the Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company, later took in the properties of the Goldfield Mining Company and purchased the holdings of the Combination Mines Company. These he also made part of the Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company, thus converting six active mining companies into one huge corporation with $50,000,000 capital. He was elected President of the company and has administered its affairs ever since. In the six years the properties produced more than $55,000,000 and paid to its stockholders over $25,000,000 in dividends. Early in the life of the partnership, the firm of Nixon and Wingfield became interested in business and other properties in Nevada and California, founding banks in several of the important centers of the former. These included Nixon National Bank of Reno and the Tonopah Banking Corporation and they also acquired a controlling interest in John S. Cook & Co., Bankers, of Goldfield.
    In April, 1909, after nearly six years, the firm of Nixon &. Wingfield was dissolved, Senator Nixon taking over the banking interests and real estate of the firm, excepting the John S. Cook & Co. bank, which was retained by Mr. Wingfield, together with all of the firm's mining interests. Since that time Mr. Wingfield has purchased numerous valuable mining properties in Nevada, two of the most important being the Nevada Hills Mining Company and the Buckhorn Mines Company, of Eureka County, Nevada, which he has developed. He is also heavily interested in other industries in Nevada and California and owns several large ranches. While his fame is largely that of a successful mining operator. Mr. Wingfield also is reckoned one of the powerful factors in banking and financial affairs on the Pacific Slope. Shortly following the death of Senator Nixon in June, 1912, he was elected President of four important banks in which his former partner had served as Chief Executive. These include the Nixon National Bank, of Reno, Nev., with a capital of $1,000,000 and a surplus of $200,000; the Bank of Nevada Savings & Trust Company, Reno, with capital of $100,000; the First National Bank of Winnemucca, Nev., with capital of $100,000 and surplus of $204,000, and the Carson Valley Bank, of Carson, Nev., with a capital of $50,000. He is also President of John S. Cook & Co., bankers, capital $250,000. Mr. Wingfield, at the age of thirty-six years, is the controlling and dominant factor in corporations representing many millions of dollars, his position being due solely to his own work and natural business ability. He was less than 25 years old when he first went to Tonopah, at 26 he was one of the wealthy men of the camp, at 27 he obtained control of Goldfield's richest mines and at 30 became head of the Consolidated, one of the world's gigantic mining corporations. Literally speaking, Mr. Wingfield was not the discoverer of either Goldfield or Tonopah, but he is generally credited with having been the impelling force in the development of mining in both places. For where others feared to incur risk, Mr. Wingfield took over numerous prospects, staked his fortunes on them and converted them into great mines. Also, he organized mining companies that paid dividends to their stockholders and served to discredit "wildcat" promoters. One of the greatest services Mr. Wingfield has rendered Nevada, and the mining industry as well, was the fight he waged successfully against a dangerous element of labor agitators in the boom days of Goldfield, who proved a menace to property and the life of the camp. After a long period of trouble Mr. Wingfield, who believes in honest pay for honest labor, determined to drive the disturbers out of camp. The struggle which ensued was bitter and long-drawn, but the agitators were compelled to leave and normal conditions have prevailed almost uninterruptedly since. Mr. Wingfield is noted for his generosity, especially to former comrades in adversity and friends who assisted him when he needed help. In June, 1912, following the death of Senator George S. Nixon, Mr. Wingfield was appointed by Governor T. L. Oddie to succeed him as Nevada's junior representative in the United States Senate, but refused to accept the appointment, stating in his letter of declination that he could do more good for the State of Nevada by remaining at home and developing its resources. Mr. Wingfield is a member of the Bohemian and Press Clubs of San Francisco, Sierra Madre Club, Los Angeles; Rocky Mountain Club, New York; Reno Commercial Club and the B. P. O. E. (Source:  Press Reference Library - West Edition - Notables of the West - 1915 : Being the portraits and biographies of the progressive men of the west who have helped in the development and history making of this wonderful county, Volume II.)


     



HOME

©Genealogy Trails