Genealogy Trails History Group Amador County, California Genealogy Trails

Submit Data Submit Obituary California Trails Genealogy Trails
 Amador County, California Genealogy Trails
Obituaries Page 1


An Old Resident Passes into the Great Beyond – J. A. Butterfield Taken from a World of Care—Between nine and ten o’clock last Wednesday night, February 28, John Alfred Butterfield, one of the pioneers and prominent citizens of Amador County breathed his last at his residence on Broadway in this city. His death was very sudden, caused by a stroke of paralysis—the third one, we believe. Deceased came to this county in an early day and engaged in various lines of business, including the lumber business, he at one time owning the mills at Antelope, now the property of F. M. Whitmore. He served a term as County Treasurer many years ago. If he had lived until the fifth day of this month, he would have been 72 years of age. He was born in New Hampshire and, soon after coming to this state, joined the Volcano IOOF Lodge of which organization he was a member in good standing at the time of his death. He was also a member of the Chosen Friends of Jackson. He leaves a widow and a daughter, Mrs. John Barton of Antelope, to mourn his loss. He was highly respected by all who knew him. The funeral took place from his late residence, under the auspices of the IOOF Lodge of Jackson, and the Order of Chosen Friends, this afternoon at 2 o’clock. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-2-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of Mrs. Carter – The First White Woman Who Settled in Jackson Dies in Sacramento—News of the death of Mrs. Hanna C. Carter on last Wednesday at her home in Sacramento was received by William Penry yesterday. The demise of this old lady closes the career of a one-time prominent figure in this county, especially in Jackson where she lived, an honored resident, for many years. Mrs. Carter had the distinction of being the first white woman who settled in Jackson. She was the mother of Mrs. Silas Penry and of Mrs. John Hawkes, both of Sacramento. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and was over 76 years of age. The remains will be brought to Jackson via Ione tonight accompanied by relatives and will be interred in the Jackson Cemetery tomorrow, Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. [Submitted by K. Marynik]


Ione Loses a Pioneer—Justice W. S. Coombs, one of the pioneers of this county, passed into eternity last Friday evening at the family residence at Ione. For many years, the deceased had served the city of Ione as an official, being at the time of his death, Justice of the Peace of that township. Justice Coombs came to Amador County in the early 50s. He leaves a widow, two daughters, and a son. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 5-25-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Nearly a Centenarian—There died of la grippe at Amador City last Wednesday afternoon one of the oldest men in Amador City. His name was Fields. For many years past, he has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. J. Hardy in Amador. Though 99 years of age, he had been seldom afflicted with sickness. Mr. Fields leaves a daughter, Mrs. Jeremiah Hardy, and several other relatives in Amador City. He was born October 29, 1801. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-22-1901. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of Nathan S. Fisher—The acquaintances and friends in Jackson were very much surprised to hear of the death of Nathan S. Fisher who has been in this county since December of last year. He was a civil engineer by profession, and his last work was done for the Standard Electric Company several miles above here in the mountains. He returned a few weeks ago somewhat under the weather but not sick enough to go to bed, his complaint being a sort of malarial or mountain fever. When he left Jackson for Amador City a few days ago, he complained of feeling very weak, but he appeared to have a fair appetite. His death, which occurred Wednesday evening, was caused by heart failure. Deceased was an exemplary young man of ability, and his untimely death is a source of deep regret to all who knew him. His only relative in the west, so far as known here, is a young man named F. R. Breed who came here with him or a short time before. Breed left here early this spring for Colorado. He was from Rochester, NY, according to the New National Register, and deceased was from Binghamton, same state. At this writing, Thursday, it is not known whether the remains will be sent east for burial or not.

Later: It is now understood that the mother of Fisher lives in Norwich, NJ, and that another relative resides in Sacramento. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 8-31-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Died at the Hospital—Edward Hicks, well known throughout this county, died in the County Hospital last Friday evening of consumption. Deceased was a native of England and aged about 38 years. Although a miner, he had been prevented from following that vocation for several years by the disease of which he died. He had been an inmate of the County Hospital for some time, but medical aid was without avail. He leaves two children, Pearl and William, the former being under the guardianship of her uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Lemin. William is on a training ship at Mare Island. About seven years ago, the deceased was divorced from his wife, who died over two years ago of consumption and who was a daughter of James Bodinnar of Amador City and sister of Mrs. Thomas Lemin of Jackson, the mother retaining custody of the children. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-16-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Overcome by Powder Gas – Jack Kenney Expires from its Effect – Put in a Blast of Six Holes but Two Failed – After a Reasonable Delay, They Went into the Tunnel to Reload the Holes that Missed—A sad affair occurred at Jackson Butte Mine, owned by R. L. Marsh, last Sunday afternoon, resulting in the death of one man and the close call of another. It appears that Jack Kenney and W. A. Kennedy, mining partners, put in a blast of six holes in the tunnel, only four of which exploded, two of them turning out to be what is known in mining parlance as “stinkers.” After a time, Kennedy went in and reconnoitered and found the powder smoke too thick for safety. He came out of the tunnel and waited for some time and then made a second attempt but failed. Later he went in and fanned the smoke out, and he and Kenney then concluded it was safe to clean out the two holes and reload them. They went in together, and while Kennedy fanned the smoke away with an old coat, Kenney cleaned out the holes. When the holes were clean, both set to work to load them but before the job was finished, Kennedy was overcome by the powder smoke, and Kenney, after trying in vain to get him out alone, rushed out for help and he was shortly after rescued. While Mr. and Mrs. Marsh and others, including Kenney, were engaged in resuscitating Kennedy, his partner Kenney, suddenly complained of feeling faint and took a small swallow of camphor. He died almost immediately after doing so. On Monday, March 26, Coroner Gritton held an inquest on the body, the jury finding that the deceased was named Jack Kenney, was a native of Illinois, aged about 43 years, that he came to his death on the 25th day of March 1900 by inhaling poisonous gases from burnt nitro-glycerin powder while at his work in the Jackson Butte mine. The jury was composed of the following citizens: John T. Kelley, Harry Ashe, P. L. Cassineli, Thomas W. Bosanko, J. S. Aviso, N. Ferari, and J. E. Ruffner. Deceased had relatives in Stockton, among them a mother and sister, and his remains were sent there Tuesday for burial, Undertaker W. E. Kent preparing the remains for shipment. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-23-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Judge Moore Found Dead – Doubts as to Suicide or Murder

JACKSON, Sept. 8—George Moore, Superior Judge of this county, was found dead this morning in the parlor of his residence, under circumstances which indicated that he committed suicide. Judge Moore was a candidate for re-nomination before the Democratic Convention, which met here today. Considerable opposition had been manifested against him, but he would, undoubtedly, have succeeded in the convention. Yesterday he was evidently brooding over the situation and conceived the idea that treachery was being resorted to in order to defeat him. He went home about 12 o’clock last night. No one slept in the house except himself. His wife and family are visiting in San Francisco. It is thought that on reaching home, he immediately made preparation for the fatal deed. Burning up a quantity of papers, as shown by the cinders in the stove, he, it is supposed, stretched himself out upon the floor, his head under the table, and shot himself in the temple with a pistol. Death must have been instantaneous. The pistol was found beside him with one chamber empty. The deceased was highly respected for his fairness and impartiality on the bench.

A Supposed Murder—Further investigation indicates that Judge Moore was murdered. Medical experts say that he could not possibly have shot himself as the ball entered just behind the left ear and made its exit on the right side of the forehead. No powder marks are visible where the ball entered, showing that he must have been shot from a distance of several feet. A black spot in the center of the forehead is believed to have been caused by a heavy blow from a club which fractured the skull. The theory is that the victim was first stunned by the blow in the forehead and that afterward his own pistol was taken from his pocket, with which the assassin completed his work. When found, his hands were stretched out full length by his side and the pistol was found under his body, a position utterly inconsistent with the theory of suicide.

The Latest Reports—The death of Judge Moore is still enveloped in mystery. It is not certain that he committed suicide. The examination will not be held until tomorrow, at which time the doctors will give the result of the autopsy. The bullet entered his head on the left side, about two inches above the left ear, and came out through the forehead about one and a half inches above the right eye. There is also a bruise on his forehead, caused either by a fall or a blow. There are no indications of powder marks where the bullet entered. A shot was heard this morning about half-past 5 o’clock, and that is supposed to have been the shot that killed him. His death has cast a gloom over the community. Feeling resolutions were adopted by the conventions in respect to his memory. The deceased, who was about 40 years of age, leaves a wife and children who are, it is believed, stopping in San Francisco. [Alpine Argus, Markleeville, Friday, 9-12-1884. Submitted by K. Marynik]

Verdict of Suicide

JACKSON, Sept. 9—An autopsy was held on the body of Judge Moore this morning, which has dissipated all theories heretofore entertained that he met his death by the hands of another than his own. The medical experts were misled by a superficial examination as to the point of entrance of the ball. They gave the opinion first that the shot was fired from the back of the head and passed out in front, and the difficulty if not impossibility of a man shooting himself in that way led to the belief of murder. The autopsy, however, proved that the pistol was placed close to the forehead, and hence the force of the powder made the orifice larger at the point of entry. On removing the scalp, the powder marks were plain enough, extending under the skin to the dark spot in the forehead, which was at first thought to be produced by a blow from a club. The skull under the scalp was shattered to pieces, although the scalp was entire. The coroner’s jury found that the deceased committed suicide. The cause is generally attributed to political, combined with other troubles. He was 35 years of age, and his parents reside in Kentucky. His wife is expected here tonight. Deceased was a member of the Chosen Friends and United Workmen, with a policy of $2,000 in each. It is said here there is also a policy on his life for a considerable amount in the New York Life Insurance Company. [Alpine Argus, Markleeville, Saturday, 9-19-1884. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Another Pioneer Gone—Jerry Murphy, an old and highly respected pioneer of Amador County, died at his late residence in Butte City, February 10, 1900. The deceased had been quite low for some time, and his death was not unexpected. His hasty removal last week from his son’s burning house may have, and probably did, hasten the inevitable end. He leaves two children and many other relatives to mourn his loss. His children are Mrs. Maggie Kelly of Livermore and Daniel Murphy of Butte City. The funeral, which was largely attended, took place from the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Gleeson officiating, on Monday, February 12. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-16-1900]


Death Early in Life—Antonio Oneto, the little four-year-old son of Mrs. Julia Oneto, was called home by his Heavenly Father last Wednesday morning after a brief illness. The child was first taken sick with la grippe which soon fell into bronchitis of which the little fellow died about 6 o’clock Wednesday morning. Funeral ceremonies were conducted at the Catholic Church yesterday afternoon by Rev. Father Gleason. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 5-25-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Suicide at Amador—Yesterday Mrs. Ed. Peter of Amador City, wife of the engineer at the Keystone Mine, committed suicide by shooting herself twice, once below the heart and once through the body. She died almost immediately after the second shot. The cause of her rash act is not given. The community is dreadfully shocked over the sad affair, and the bereaved husband and other relatives have the sympathy of many friends. The inquest will be held today. Deceased was about 30 years of age. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 5-23-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]

Mary Alice Peter Inquest—The inquest on the body of Mary Alice Peter of Amador City, whose death by suicide was announced in the Ledger last week, was held by Coroner Gritton the following day. The jury found that deceased was named Mary Alice Peter, a native of California, aged about 29 years; that she came to her death on March 22, 1900, by suicide while in a condition of mental depression. The jurymen were: D. F. Gray, R. Ludt, William J. Strickland, J. H. Thomas, W. E. Whitehead, a. N. Allspaugh, and A. Well. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-30-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of Robert Powers—Robert Powers, a resident of Volcano for about 30 years, died at the ripe age of 82 on Saturday, May 12. He leaves two daughters to mourn his loss, Mrs. E. S. McCoy of Jackson and Mrs. J. L. Stubbs of Sacramento. Deceased was a native of Ireland, and since his residence in this county, mining has been his chief employment. He was well known and well liked by the mining men of the county, and his neighbors speak highly of him. He was buried in the Catholic Cemetery at Volcano, May 14 at 2 o’clock PM. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 5-18-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Died in Sutter Creek—Thomas Prosser died at his home at Sutter Creek last Saturday, March 24, 1900, after a long illness. The deceased was up and around the day previous to his death, being seen in town on Friday evening. Saturday morning he complained of feeling worse and could not eat his breakfast. He returned to bed, and a physician was sent for. Before the arrival of medical aid, however, the afflicted man had passed over on the other shore. He was 51 years of age and a native of Pennsylvania. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-23-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Fatal Fall—W. J. Waters, an old resident of Amador City and vicinity, was instantly killed as the outcome of a fall at his dwelling house near Quartz Mountain on Thursday morning, June 6. He lived with his family in a two-story residence on Rancheria Creek beyond Quartz Mountain some four miles east of Amador City. On the morning in question, while ascending the stairway, in some unexplained manner, he lost his balance and fell backward. He must have struck full force on his head. His neck was dislocated by the fall, and he died almost immediately after the accident. The deceased leaves to mourn his untimely death a wife and three grown-up children—two sons, William J., aged 24; and Frederick T. Waters, aged 22 years. The daughter is a school teacher in this county. Deceased was 56 years old and a native of England. He had lived in the neighborhood of Amador City for many years, working in the mines of that vicinity. Several years ago he purchased the Burt Ranch on Rancheria Creek and thereafter turned his attention to farming. It was on this place that he met his death as above stated. The funeral took place Saturday at the Oak Knoll Cemetery. One of the sons has been working for some time for the Union Construction Company in Calaveras County and went home on the news of his father’s death. The other son has been looking after the ranch property. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 6-14-1907. Submitted by K. Marynik]


C. Weller of Jackson committed suicide Thursday evening by shooting himself in the head. He was in the hardware store with two employees about 5 o’clock and appeared in his right mind. Shortly afterward, he went into the basement of the store and fired the fatal shot. As yet, we have not heard as to what prompted the deed. [Alpine Argus, Markleeville, Friday, 9-19-1884. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of James T. Wheeler—James Tarlton Wheeler died at his home at Pine Grove about 1 o’clock Wednesday afternoon of this week. For years he had been ailing with heart trouble and for several days previous to his death had complained of being worse than usual. In the morning he was seen taking his usual walk up and down the porch of his store building. At noon he ate dinner with his family and went into the store to sit by the fire and read. Soon after, someone had occasion to go into the store and found Mr. Wheeler sitting in a chair dead. The body was removed to the family residence and prepared for burial. James Tarlton Wheeler has been a prominent figure in the history of Amador County. He crossed the plains early in the year 1849 and located at Amador City. He, with four others, built a large double cabin in the fall of 1849 near where the South Spring Hill Mill now stands. Mr. Wheeler located the Granite State Mine near where the Keystone Mill now is. In 1857 the Granite State and Walnut Hill mines were consolidated, and the new company was known as the Keystone Consolidated Mining Company. In these mines, quartz mining in Amador County had its birth, and Mr. Wheeler was one of those who were connected with the mining industry at that time. In the early ‘60s, he went to Pine Grove and conducted a store, engaging in mining at the same time. Besides having interests in quartz mines, he owned several rich placer claims. Some years ago he was married to a Mrs. Edsinger, their marriage resulting in the birth of a daughter, Miss Bessie, now about 10 years of age. Both wife and daughter, besides three stepdaughters and a stepson, survive the deceased. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-22-1901. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of Benjamin Wild—Benjamin Wild was laid low by the hand of death on Friday afternoon of last week at his home in Amador City. For many years, the deceased had been a resident of Amador City and for a long time was employed in the Keystone Mine. A severe attack of asthma was the cause of his death, he having been afflicted with that disease for some time. A wife and several married children survive him. Deceased was aged about 66 years and a native of England. Interment was at the Odd Fellows’ Cemetery at Sutter Creek. Funeral ceremonies were in charge of the Amador Lodge of IOOF, of which the deceased was a member, and was ably assisted by Rev. J. J. Case. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-23-1900.  Submitted by K. Marynik]

HAMBY, Infant of James

Infant Dead The infant daughter of James Hamby died at the home of Charles Kohler of this city on Saturday last. The mother died about three weeks ago, shortly after giving birth to her child. [Amador Ledger, 4 November 1910 . Submitted R. Greenlund.]


Died at Volcano. John Henry Richards died at Volcano Tuesday and was buried Wednesday. Deceased had been sick for some time and death was undoubtedly hastened by neglect. For several days he had lain on a blanket under an apple tree where he died. The day before he died parties went to the place and cleaned him, that he might be more comfortable. The next day he died, and was buried Wednesday. Richards was a native of Maine, and aged about 65 years. He came to California nearly ten years ago, residing nearly all of that time in Volcano, and working as an engineer. [Amador Ledger, Volume 1900, Number 3, 3 August 1900. Submitted R. Greenlund.]


Two Deaths. Domenic Pescia died last Thursday. He was taken sick Sunday before that and rapidly succumbed to pneumonia. Andrew Pendo died at R. Rugne's restaurant in Jackson, Tuesday night, from the effects of pneumonia. His remains were buried at Jackson today, under the auspices of the Austrian Society of which he was a member. [Amador Ledger, Volume 1900, Number 5, 5 January 1900. Submitted R. Greenlund.]


Laid to Rest After suffering along time from a complication of diseases, Merwin Leach, aged 72 years, passed away at his home in Plymouth on Tuesday last, and was buried on Wednesday. Quite a while back, Leach broke down under the strain of his sickness, and attempted suicide, but he was discovered by friends, who rendered him every attention, and he rallied and partially recovered.[ Amador Ledger, 28 April 1911. Submitted R. Greenlund.]

FRATES, Daughter of Frank

Died in Ione The youngest daughter of the late Frank Frates died in lone on Friday evening of typhoid, and was interred in the lone cemetery on Monday. Mrs. Frates, at the time of her death, was buried in San Francisco. Loving friends had the remains brought to lone Monday, and placed beside those of her late husband and daughter. [Amador Ledger, 3 June 1904 .Submitted R. Greenlund.]


Wm. Ruffner, a young man who formerly resided at Butte, near Jackson, out of late years one of the enterprising merchants of Stockton, died suddenly on Tuesday evening of heart failure. A telegraphic dispatch announced that his remains would be interred in San Francisco on Thursday. [Amador Ledger, 3 June 1904 . Submitted R. Greenlund.]






Frightful Mine Accident—The Sutter Creek Independent says: Saturday, May 30th, as the night shift men were coming to the surface after six o’clock in what is well known as the North Shaft of the Amador Consolidated Mining Co., the cage containing five men reached five feet of the top when it was suddenly and unexpectedly dashed to the bottom, falling 1640 feet, and the entire length of the flat wire cable of No. 18 steel wire falling on top of all. The cause of this distressing event was the giving way of the braces holding the reel within the grasp of the clutch, which, causing the wheel to slip away, it became at once like a wheel on a spindle and was, in a few seconds, revolving with such speed and power that no power at hand could check it. The cage itself weighs over a thousand pounds and the five men nearly as much more, one of them being over two hundred weight. To this must be added the constantly paying out of the immense cable weighing many tons and 1900 feet in length. No blame is attached to the management as is shown by the investigation before the Coroner and as seen in the verdict of the jury elsewhere in this issue. It was one of those unavoidable accidents and in this case came from a quarter entirely unlooked for as a special attention is often paid to that particular portion of the machinery, that being the place where all rock is joisted and the men are let in and out of the mine. The fall was inevitable, notwithstanding the Patent Safety Brakes on the cage, which only operate when the rope slackens. In this case, instead of the rope breaking, which would have caused the cage to stick on the timbers, the wheel containing the rope got loose on the shaft so that the weight of the cage and contents kept the rope tight. The men have families except one. There was a strange similarity in the injuries. Frank Fallon, Irishman, single, back of head crushed off. James Moyle, Englishman, wife and three children in Sutter Creek, back of head nearly all off and one arm off. Lucas Glavenavich, Austria, wife and five children in Sutter Creek, back of head off, one arm torn out at the shoulder. A. A. Corleiss, German, wife in Sutter Creek, top of head off, one leg off below the knee, one arm off below the elbow, and body torn open. Corleiss had served under Stoneman and Sheridan and passed through over a score of battles without a scratch. Samuel James, Englishman, wife and two children in Cornwall, top of head off and one leg off. [Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 6-6-1874. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Lena Griffiths Funeral rites will be held at 3 PM Monday in the Grant Miller Funeral Home in Oakland for Mrs. Lena Griffiths, a native of Fiddletown, Amador County, who died in a Berkeley rest home at the age of 91. Interment will be in the Mountain View Mausoleum in Oakland. She was the daughter of Peter and Harriet Lawson. Her father, a native of Denmark, arrived in San Francisco on a sailing vessel in 1849 and then settled in Fiddletown with her parents, Dr. and Mrs. W. A. Norman, in 1852. He was one of the first physicians in the area. After leaving Fiddletown, Mrs. Griffiths lived in Nevada City 13 years, San Francisco 45 years, and then Oakland and El Cerrito, Contra Costa County, 15 years. Her husband Griff Griffths, died many years ago. She was the mother of the late Mae Gutterman and George Griffiths of San Francisco and WJ. A. Griffiths of Oakland; sister of Mrs. Edna Thomas of Sonora, Tuolumne County; Mrs. Etta Mae Herrill of Folsom; and Edward H. Lawson of Sacramento; a grandmother of Edward J. Gutterman; and the great-grandmother of three. [ Sacramento Bee, Nov 1958. Submitted by Kathie Kloss Marynik.]


Sacramento Bee DATE: 7-7-1948

Harry W. Jones of Jackson Is Dead JACKSON (Amador Co.), July 7—Harry W. Jones, 90, son of one of the founders of Jackson, died yesterday in the family home in which he was born. He was born October 18, 1857, the son of Thomas W. and Eleanor Jones in the present family home west of Main Street. His father came to Jackson in 1850 when the area was part of Calaveras County. The town site then was known as Botilless. Thomas was one of the original members of the town council, and every male member of the Jones family since that time has served on the council. His other son, Thomas R., was a councilman prior to moving to Sacramento where he died a number of years ago. Harry W. engaged in farming and freighting with his father until his retirement a few years ago. He was married to Alice L. Peek, a daughter of another pioneer Amador County family. Since his retirement, he has lived with his son, Thomas L., a present member of the city council. Jones was a charter member of Excelsior Chapter No. 31, Native Sons of the Golden West. In addition to Thomas L., he is survived by another son, Wallace P., a former mayor of Jackson. Funeral services will be conducted at 3 PM tomorrow in the J. J. Daneri and Sons Mortuary. The NSGW will be in charge. Interment will be in the family plot in the Jackson City Cemetery. [Submitted by K. Marynik]


Lindsay S. Kennedy Found Dead in Home Near Ione Monday Funeral services were conducted in this city on Thursday morning at 10:30 o’clock for Lindsay S. Kennedy, well known resident of the Ione district. The services were held from the mortuary chapel of J. J. Daneri and Son, Dr. Frank K. Baker officiating. Following the services in this city the remains were conveyed to the B. C. Wallace Chapel at Stockton where services were held prior to interment at the cemetery at that place. Lindsay S. Kennedy was a native of Marysville aged 70 years. He had been a resident of this county during the past twenty years and made his home at the Sam Kidd place near Ione. His lifeless body was discovered in his home on Monday morning by T. Lagomarsino who had called to collect laundry. The aged man had been in failing health for some time past due to the infirmities of advanced age, but there was no indication that his condition was critical. Death is attributed to natural causes. Following the death of Mr. Kennedy, J. J. Daneri got into communication with relatives and was advised to hold the remains pending the arrival of a sister, Carrie E. Ruess, from Fresno on the following day. On the following morning, he was advised that the sister had passed away during Tuesday night. Her remains were brought to Stockton where a double funeral was held on Thursday. Surviving relatives of Mr. Kennedy include two daughters, Mrs. Frank R. Fowden and Mrs. Emery Holt; a son, Mervyn Kennedy; two sisters, Mrs. P. Dalesandro and Daisy C. Wilson; and two brothers, Eugene Kennedy and Elmer E. Kennedy. [Jackson Amador Dispatch, 11-19-1937. Submitted by Kathie Kloss Marynik.]


 In Lodi, June 11, 1978. A native of California. Aged 70 years. Loving husband of Naomi Kidd of Ione. Dear father of Margaret Elaine Kidd of Danville and Richard Mervin Kidd of Ione. Brother of Don Kidd of Orinda and Gene Kidd of Ione, Ila and Irma Kidd, both of Albany. A member of the Ione Grange. Friends are invited to attend services at Daneri Chapel, Jackson, Wednesday, June 14 at 11:00 AM. Interment Ione Public Cemetery. [Sacramento Bee, Wednesday, 6-14-1978. Submitted by Kathie Kloss Marynik.]


Dr. Norman, Amador Physician 50 Years, Dies in Sacramento Dr. W. A. Norman, 88, a physician and surgeon in Plymouth, Amador County, for more than 50 years, died yesterday in the home of his nephew, Thomas Labadie, at 2674 Twenty-Fifth Street. He has been a patient in a local hospital until a short time ago when he was taken to his nephew’s home. Funeral services will be held in the Weston Funeral Home in Plymouth Monday at 2 PM. Dr. Norman was born in Fiddletown December 10, 1858. His parents, Abraham and Elizabeth Norman, arrived there in 1852. His father was a pioneer physician. He obtained his medical education in the Cooper Medical College of San Francisco and returned to Plymouth to practice. His brother, the late Thomas K. Norman who died in 1937, one time was sheriff of Amador County and later worked for the Southern Pacific Company in Sacramento. Dr. Norman leaves his sister, Mrs. Mary Ann Labadie of Drytown, Amador County and a number of nieces and nephews. [Sac Bee 3/2/1946, Submitted by K. Marynik]


Another Pioneer Gone

We are called upon this week to chronicle the death of another pioneer of Amador County in the person of Daniel Beem of New York Ranch at the ripe old age of 85 years. He died on the 28th of January from the breaking down of his vital forces incident to age. The funeral took place Tuesday last, services being conducted in the M. E. Church by R. C. E. Winning at two o’clock, after which the body was laid in the Protestant Cemetery by the side of his wife, who left this life three years ago last November. A large number of old settlers and the neighbors generally joined in the procession to the grave. Deceased was a native of Ohio. He came to California in 1852 and for a period of 51 years lived on the farm and wayside place at New York Ranch. Three daughters survive him, Mrs. Wheeler, Mrs. Emmons, and Mrs. Hanley. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-2-1906. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Biographical—Robert Gilliland Calvin, who died at the county infirmary on the 20th of last month, was one of the early pioneers of this state. He was born in the state of New York on March 28, 1829, being 76 years, 9 months and 23 days old at the time of his death. When gold was first discovered here and the mad rush began, he was working at his trade in South Bend, Indiana. At that time he and Chas. Crocker, later the railroad millionaire, were in the employ of the same firm. He, like others who had ambition to become rich, was seized with the gold fever. In the winter or early spring of 1849, he left South Bend for New York, intending to come by water to the land of gold. Took a boat and landed on the Isthmus after a rough voyage of about two months. Hundreds of people were congregated on the Pacific slope of Panama and were not able to secure transportation to California, owing to the scarcity at that time of vessels. After remaining there over three months, he and about 200 others, at a cost of $250 each, chartered a schooner and arrived in San Francisco November 29, 1849. From there he went to Coloma and after accumulating several thousand dollars, went to Michigan Bar, Sacramento County, and embarked with a man named Valentine in the general merchandise business in which he was very successful. But like all other early pioneers, he continued mining. Whoever came along and wanted a grub stake, went to “Bob” as he was called in those days, and was never refused. He also invested in several gravel propositions which were money-losing propositions with the result that in a few years, he had lost all he had gained. From Michigan Bar, he came to Amador County, remained here until 1871 when he took his family to Sacramento, and after losing his wife there, moved to Woodland, Yolo County, and from there he went to Placerville where he conducted a tin shop for a number of years. Having become too aged and feeble to no longer work, he came back to Amador about six years ago and since that time up to a few months before his death made his home with his sons, George and Harvey. In the death of Bob Calvin, the mining region of California has lost one of its oldest pioneers. He was a man of many friends and few enemies and never knowingly wronged anyone. He never had but one physical encounter after he arrived to manhood. One day in Coloma, a gang of claim jumpers attempted to run him off of his claim. He very seldom carried weapons but in lieu thereof, he seized a cobble stone from the tailings pile and knocked one of his assailants down while the others ran for the hills. He never was bothered after that. He leaves three sons, one daughter, one brother, and two sisters to mourn his death. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday 2-2-1906. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Obituary—Robert I. Davis died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Davis of Shenandoah Valley, Sunday evening, January 26. He had been sick for nearly a year, and for about three months it had been known that his recovery was, humanly speaking, impossible, yet the end was utterly unlooked for at the time and came as a cruelly sudden shock to all who knew him. He had been dressed and out of his room for a few hours that day and even after returning to his bed had received a caller and had talked with all his cherry humor to the visitor and family. His brother, J. S. Davis of Amador City, who had spent the day at home, was preparing to return to his work and, with the others of the family, had gathered in the sick room for a chat when the invalid suddenly collapsed, and when the attending physician, summoned by the telephone arrived, it was only to tell the family that the brave heart had ceased to beat. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon under the direction of Plymouth Parlor N.S.G.W., interment being in the little cemetery. Robert Davis was born July 11, 1881, in Shenandoah where practically his entire life was spent, and where as a boy and man his upright character, his cherry good humor, his willingness to do his full share as a neighbor or citizen won him the liking and respect of all who knew him. Until the beginning of his illness in March of last year, he was unusually active and energetic in private business and local affairs and well known as an athletic. By some it is supposed that an injury received in a baseball game was responsible for the fatal illness, but that is merely conjecture. His relatives know of no such injury that could have been serious. For months after his illness began, there were no symptoms of lung complaint, and when at last the nature of the disease became apparent, it had progressed too far to be stayed. Always cheerful and hopeful of recovery, always patient of weakness and pain, his last months showed him of heroic spirit, and with the passing of that pure brave spirit, his friends can say, “It is well with him.” [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-7-1908. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Plymouth Death—William Green Felker, who died February 26 at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. M. E. Decker, in San Francisco, was a native of Plattsville, Wisconsin. He was born December 29, 1838, and was 65 years, 2 months and 29 days old at the date of his death. When about 14 years of age, he crossed the plains with his parents to California, arriving in this state in 1852. He was married to Miss Mary Leventon on September 9, 1864, and settled in El Dorado County, afterwards moving to Plymouth where he has lived ever since. The issue of the marriage was three sons, one dying in infancy, and George, who is living in Plymouth and from whose home the funeral was conducted. The other son, Daniel, resides at Perkins Station, Cal. He leaves five daughters, all married: Mrs. F. Hamilton, Mrs. M. Mitchel and Mrs. M. E. Decker, all of San Francisco; and Mrs. C. E. Strader and Mrs. O. E. Hanson of Broderick, Cal. The wife and mother departed this life September 11, 1891. Besides the seven children, he leaves eleven grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Burden. He was a loving companion, a kind and cheerful father, and a good neighbor. He was buried in the Plymouth Cemetery on March 1, the Rev. W. C. Hockett officiating. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-11-1906. Submitted by K. Marynik ]


Death of E. G. Freeman – A Prominent Pioneer Laid Away

In 1897 E. G. Freeman’s health began to fail. During that year, accompanied by Mrs. Freeman, he visited eastern friends and made an extended tour throughout the Atlantic Coast states. Since then he has made repeated visits to San Francisco and other points of the Pacific Coast, invariably accompanied by Mrs. Freeman. His health, however, gradually grew worse and about a month ago, the death javelin was hurled and no man knew it any better than Mr. Freeman himself, but true to his nature, that of a strong, self-contained, unmurmuring individual, he made no sign and kept up his spirits to the very last. There was no earthly help, and on Saturday last, June 9, he breathed his last, aged about 70 years. His funeral, which was attended by the prominent citizens of Jackson, was under the auspices of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, accompanied by a delegation from the lodge of Rebekahs. At the last residence of deceased on Court Street at 2:30 PM Tuesday, June 12, services were held, Rev. F. A. Morrow, pastor of the M. E. Church, officiating. The services were very impressive. A large procession followed the remains to the Protestant Cemetery where solemn burial services were held by the AOUW and IOOF lodges, during which the Rebekah representatives sang an appropriate ode. At the close of the ceremonies above mentioned, Mr. Hiram Deacon, a pioneer of Sutter Creek, stepped forward and, as a friend of deceased of long standing, delivered a few feeling and most appropriate remarks. It seemed eminently fitting and just that, over the grave of a friend, a loving and respecting survivor should speak as Hiram Deacon did. It would be well if such a custom prevailed the world over. E. G. Freeman was born in New York City, but his parents moved to New Haven, Conn., when he was quite young. In July 1852 he landed in San Francisco and soon after came to Amador County and began mining near Amador City. Later he tried his luck in Volcano on the Mokelumne River near White’s Bay and again in Amador City. In 1854 he gave up the attempt of wrenching gold from Mother Earth and started the harness business in Jackson, meeting with good success. In 1861 he married Miss Georgiana Fritz of Baltimore, Maryland, who bore him two sons, E. A. and Clarence W., both residents of Jackson. The fire of 1862 destroyed his store and contents and his dwelling house, a great loss as he had no insurance. Seeing all of his belongings in ashes, he went to Sacramento intending to engage in the real estate business with his brother-in-law, J. G. McCallum, who was then United States Land Agent. He changed his mind, however, and resumed the harness business in Jackson, a few years later adding a general variety store which he owned at the time of his death. He was left a widower in 1869, and in 1876 he married Mrs. Martha Louisa Trowbridge, who was then living in Amador City with her sister, Mrs. James Taylor, and who survives him. Two children were the result of his second marriage, Charles H. and Florence Pearl, both living at the family residence. Deceased also leaves two sisters, Mrs. McCallum of Los Angeles and Mrs. Ellis Burwell of Fresno. E. G. Freeman was a man of sterling character and indomitable perseverance and will power. He had the courage of his convictions and was not afraid to express himself on any and all occasions. He was a stanch Republican at all times, and during the trying period of the Civil War frequently had his nerve severely tested, but he never wavered. For a long time he was chairman of the Republican County Central Committee and rendered efficient service to the party. He lived in this community nearly fifty years, raised a fine family, and died respected and honored by all who knew him. His life was an open book. He was square, upright, and decisively a man of principle and possessed of the stamina to maintain his position of right no matter who assailed it. Amador County has lost one of its ablest and best citizens in the death of E. G. Freeman. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 6-15-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Mitchell, aged 3 months, son of Jasper Lovrovich of Jackson Gate, was buried today. Funeral at Catholic Church at 11 AM. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 6-15-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


John Mazzera, one of the oldest residents of Volcano, died in that town last Friday and was buried in the local cemetery on Sunday. It will be remembered that his daughter, who lives in Oakland, made a record-breaking trip in an automobile specially hired for the purpose to reach the bedside of her aged parent, who was then believed to be dying. He had been failing for many years, and his demise was not unexpected. The Rev. Father Dermody of Sutter Creek conducted the funeral obsequies, assisted by a choir from our sister town, consisting of Miss Ida Herman, Miss Brynole, and Mrs. A. Nixon. Besides the married daughter in Alameda County, deceased leaves a large number of mourning relatives. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-2-1906. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Obituary of the Unfortunates Recently Drowned in the Cosumnes River

Charles Edwin Phillips was born in Knox County, Missouri, on March 17, 1878, being the youngest child of Rev. and Mrs. S. H. Phillips. The family came to this state in 1884, settling in Shenandoah where Charlie received his early education. In 1895 he removed to Sacramento with his parents but was still regarded as one of our Shenandoah boys. In Sacramento he completed his school course and took up the study of Pharmacy. He had been for some time in the employ of Ing & Allee as a clerk and was intending at the end of this vacation to enter the State College of Pharmacy where a four months’ course would complete his studies. He came to Plymouth on Sunday, June 3, for a visit to his brothers. He was one of a merry party that left town for a fishing excursion and in a few short hours, youth, ambition, and life were blotted out in the cruel waters. He was a member of the Christian Church in which his father was a minister. He was very popular both in Plymouth and Sacrament, and his loss will be keenly mourned. He leaves his parents, Rev. and Mrs. S. H. Phillips of Sacramento; two brothers, W. B. and Jasper H. Phillips of Plymouth; two sisters, Mrs. Mollie S. Gillum of Missouri and Mrs. Retta E. Brown of Shenandoah. The funerals took place last Thursday afternoon, and a large concourse had assembled to pay the last sad tribute of respect to the dead, the M. E. Church where the services were held being more than filled. The services were conducted by Rev. C. H. Darling, assisted by Rev. Mr. Haddox of the Free Methodist Church of Sacramento and Rev. A. J. Case of Amador City. The pulpit and organ were draped in white and wreathed with green foliage; a multitude of flowers covered the caskets, and the bodies were laid to rest in graves made beautiful with white and green. Peace to their dust and to the aching hearts of the mourners the consolation that cometh of God. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 6-15-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Paul Ratkovich died of typhoid pneumonia in Sutter Creek last Friday and was buried Sunday in Jackson from the Greek church. The funeral was conducted by the Austrian Independent Benevolent Society. The deceased had followed mining in this section for some time past. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 2-2-1906. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Obituary—Benjamin Satchwell, a pioneer resident of the neighborhood of Oleta, died at his residence on the first of March. Deceased was born in Leicester, England, on the first of March 1819. He immigrated to the United States in 1846, settling in Illinois. In 1850 he joined in the rush for California and arrived in this state the same year and commenced mining on Dry Creek near Fiddletown, now Oleta. In the fall of 1852 he went back to Illinois for the purpose of getting his family. They started to cross the plains in the spring of 1853 with an ox team and arrived in Fiddletown in September of that year. The same year he moved with his family to a ranch on Indian Creek where he has lived ever since – a period of over 50 years. He leaves a wife and two daughters, besides several grandchildren and great-grandchildren to mourn his departure. Deceased was a loving husband and father, honest and upright in his dealings with his fellowmen, doing to the best of his ability as he would be done by. “Even his failings leaned to virtue’s side.” [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday 3-11-1904. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Mrs. Sinpoesa Subiate of San Andreas died Sunday morning, March 6, aged 88 years, and was interred in the Protestant Cemetery at San Andreas Tuesday, the Rev. William Tuson officiating. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 3-11-1904. Submitted by K. Marynik]


A Sad Affliction

Mamie Tam, eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. William Tam, died Wednesday evening after a brief illness of pneumonia. For several days the forces of life and death as developed by that dangerous disease contended for the mastery, and the outcome was doubtful. Wednesday the crisis of the malady was reached, and it became only too evident to the anxious parents that nature was exhausted and a fatal termination inevitable. The victim was a remarkably bright and intelligent girl and a general favorite with her schoolmates and companions. She had suffered from a previous attack of the same disease, and this probably left its impress upon the system and reduced the power of resistance against the second attack. The parents are heartbroken over the loss of their firstborn, and the sympathy of the entire community is drawn toward them in this hour of their bereavement. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday 5-2-1902. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Obituary of the Unfortunates Recently Drowned in the Cosumnes River

Jennie May Cleveland Vanderpool, youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. H. Vanderpool, was born in Spring Valley, September 18, 1876. As her brothers and sisters were all nearly grown, the next youngest being just eleven years older, the “baby” was naturally the pet of the family. The little one was taught at home until thirteen years of age, at that time being on a visit to her sister, Mrs. Smith of Shenandoah. She entered the Williams School, graduating five years later from the Plymouth School, and began her duties as a teacher in Spring Valley on attaining her eighteenth birthday. After two years in this capacity, Miss Vanderpool entered Atkinson’s Business College of Sacramento in 1896, graduating from there in the following year with high honors and at once took a position with Hale Bros. & Co. as assistant cashier and stenographer. She served them faithful and efficiently for a year and a half, at which time she was forced to resign through ill health, the result of overwork. A rest at her home was of such benefit that she was soon able to accept the Spring Valley School for the term just ended. She was greatly beloved by her pupils who will long mourn the loss of their teacher. She early manifested a deeply religious nature; at her own request she was presented for baptism and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church before she was ten years of age. At fifteen she was received into the Free Methodist Church on probation and in all ways was a faithful follower of the Savior. Among her associates her brightness and lovable disposition made her a great favorite, and her early death will be keenly regretted by all who knew her. Of unusual mental attainments with a bright future before her, hard indeed it is to understand why she should have been taken. But out of the troubled waters where her young life went out, her pure soul rose unfrightened to meet its Maker. And though we must mourn our loss, yet we can but know that all is well with her. She leaves besides the hosts of friends who loved her, her parents, Mrs. and Mrs. Vanderpool; two brothers, J. A. Vanderpool of Sutter Creek and J. A. Vanderpool of Plymouth; two sisters, Mrs. Corrinne V. Smith of Shenandoah Valley and Mrs. Louise V. Zeigler of Bristol, Indiana. Services to her memory were held last Sunday evening in the Methodist Episcopal Church, south of Sacramento, Rev. C. E. Vaughan, pastor, she having been a member of that congregation during her life in that city. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 6-15-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Died at Amador

John Venning, a native of England, died in Amador City May 13 in his 71st year. He was a miner by profession and for a long time was foreman at the South Spring Hill Mine. He was a member of Drytown Lodge, F&AM, under the auspices of which lodge he was buried Wednesday, May 16, the funeral being held in Sutter Creek. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, 5-18-1900. Submitted by K. Marynik]


Death of an Old Timer

Charles Wesley Waitt, an old timer in this part of the state, died Thursday at 12 o’clock at the county hospital where he was taken some months ago for treatment. Mr. Waitt had been employed for years about the mines in Tuolumne County, going there from Amador County and about four months ago he fell from a flume, hurting his head severely. He was brought to the residence of W. F. Keeney on East Pine Street in this city. While there, he received the best of attention but as it was thought that more efficient treatment could be given the old gentleman at the county hospital, he was accordingly removed there. Mr. Waitt leaves a wife and daughter in Jersey City, NJ. His remains will be shipped to South Gardner, Maine, Monday morning. He was 81 years of age at the time of his death. –Lodi Herald, Dec. 28. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, 1-3-1908. Submitted by K. Marynik]


A Native of Jackson Passes Away

Albert N. Bruml died at Stockton December 27, 1899. The deceased was the son of M. Bruml, a pioneer of Amador County and was aged 40 years, 10 months and 11 days. He was a native of Jackson. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-5-1900]


The Jackson Gate Shooting

Investigation reveals the fact that the party at Cassassa’s place, which broke up so unceremoniously New Year morning by the attempted murder of Mrs. Cassassa and the suicide of Louis Cassassa, had completed a dance and gone to the bar to drink. Louis Cassassa hung back and refused to go up to the bar, though repeatedly invited to do so. When the others had reached the bar, he shot at the lamp in the room and hit the ceiling. He then fired a second shot which hit Mrs. Cassassa in the arm, after which it entered the baby’s thigh. The fourth shot went through the bar. The fifth penetrated the shooter’s brain and produced death. The suicide had threatened to take his own life many times since he came to this county about three years ago. Only a month ago, he met a young man on the road and told him he was going to ask the young man’s sister to marry him and if she refused he would kill her and then suicided. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-5-1900]


Shenandoah Notes—George W. Cruson, an old resident of this place, died at the home of his son, John Cruson, on the 2d after a long illness. The funeral was held Thursday forenoon and was largely attended. Mr. Cruson was a native of Ohio, 87 years of age, and had been a resident of the valley for 28 years. He leaves two sons, John and William Cruson, and three daughters, Mrs. Charles Bell of Aukum, Mrs. Haverstick of Ione and Mrs. Asbury of Calaveras. His wife died several years ago. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-12-1900]

CRUSON—In Shenandoah Valley, Jan. 2, 1900, G. W. Cruson, a native of Ohio, aged 87 years, 6 months and 20 days. Ione, Echo, and Calaveras Chronicle please copy.

[Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-12-1900]


Suicide at the Gwin

A man named Hayton, aged about 35 years, committed suicide at the compressor plant of the Gwin mine Wednesday or Thursday morning. He was on night shift at the plant and shut it down at about 10:30 PM. After trying to ring him up, the head office sent a man down to see what was the matter at about 2 AM. He found the place open but shut down, so he went out to get assistance and returned, finding the door locked. When an entrance was affected, they found Payton hanging to a beam, dead, and his neck broken. He had thrown a log chain over a beam and then had attached it to a rope, which he fastened around his neck. Apparently he had nailed cleats to the wooden cover to the machinery and walking up thereon, jumped out, taking about an eight-foot drop. He left a note in which he said that his friends had gone back on him and that, rather than tell them about it, he would suicide. The note also asked that his money be sent to his sister in the east. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-12-1900]


His Family Here—Walter McDowell, who died in Tuolumne County last Saturday, January 13 and was buried at Sonora on Monday following, was a brother of Mrs. Silas Penry of Sacramento. His mother was one of the first, we believe the first, white woman in Amador County. Deceased leaves a wife and two children, residents of Jackson. Mrs. McDowell did not reach her husband before his death, sad to say. The community sympathizes deeply with the bereaved family so suddenly bereft of husband and father. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-19-1900]

McDOWELL—Near Sonora, Jan. 13, 1900, Walter McDowell, a native of California, aged about 35 years. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-19-1900]


Killed Instantly

Richard Roberts was instantly killed last Saturday while coming up on the skip at the Keystone Mine at noon. He was standing on the bale and his clothes caught on the timbers in such a way that his body was pulled down over the edge of the skip, the upper part being held by the timbers while the lower part was over the edge of the skip. As the upward motion continued, he was practically cut in two, death resulting instantaneously. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon from the M. E. Church under the auspices of the Ancient Order of Foresters. The deceased leaves a widow and three children. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-12-1900]


Son Dead and Mother Very Ill

Mrs. Ruffner of Butte City, who has been prostrated by pneumonia for some days, is improving. Her son, “Elt,” who was compelled to take to his bed last Tuesday with the same disease, succumbed to its terrible ravages and died Friday night. His remains were taken to Lodi for burial. Mrs. Ruffner has not yet been told of her son’s demise on account of her precarious condition. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-12-1900]


Amador City News—Joseph Search, an old resident of this place, died in Sacramento at the hospital last Sunday. The following Tuesday his remains were brought here for interment in Taylor’s Cemetery. He was a native of Virginia, aged about 64 years. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-5-1900]


SIMCICH—In Jackson, Jan. 12, 1900, Charles Simcich, a native of Austria, aged about 25 years. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-19-1900]

Committed Suicide


F. P. Waggershauser Is No More – Sad Ending of a Promising Young Man – Called Away When He Was Just Entering Upon a Career of Usefulness and Honor

At 4 o’clock Monday morning, January 15, 1900, Frederick P. Waggershauser, after a plucky fight of several weeks’ duration with injury and disease, paid the penalty exacted by nature of all mankind. His father arrived in time to be with him a few days before the summons came and did all in his power to alleviate his sufferings. The funeral took place from the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Gleeson officiating, Tuesday afternoon, January 16, at 2:30 PM. The congregation was large, many of our most prominent citizens being present. The floral offerings were beautiful. Interment was in the Catholic Cemetery. The pall bearers were Frederick Eudey, Harry Newman, Alex Eudey, Charles Williams, Ruel Parker, and Frank Arditto. F. Waggershauser, father of deceased, was the only relative present, and the heartfelt sympathy of our people went out to the stricken, solitary mourner, and many a tear mingled with his over the bier of his departed loved one. There were many miners in the procession who solemnly paid their last respects to their departed fellow workman and sincerely condoled with the grief-stricken father. It was a sad laying away of a bright youth, who was overtaken in the morning of life by an accident that cost him a limb and a few weeks later, his life. But we must remember that; “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.” Not ours to murmur; not ours to question; but ours to prayerfully submit and say, “Blessed be the name of the Lord.” Frederick P. Waggerhauser was born in Weingarten, Wurttenberg, Germany, June 26, 1878, and came to America with his parents in 1887. Two years later he came to California and resided at St. Helena, Napa County, eight years. Later he graduated at the Oakland High School and then entered the State University at Berkeley and was working in a mine here to earn money enough to complete the course when on Tuesday morning, November 21, 1899, he was caught in a cave-in, his left leg below the knee being so badly injured that on the night of November 23d it had to be amputated. Through the trying ordeal, he manifested great presence of mind and exhibited rare fortitude and commendable nerve. He got on nicely and all arrangements were made, even a pair of crutches being procured, to have him up and about by Christmas. But, alas! man proposes and God disposes. The trial and tremendous strain through which he had gone aroused the latent seeds of quick consumption, to which disease he was predisposed, and the crutches were never used. He gradually faded away into the silent shadow of death, and one more young and ambitious life was cut off forever at the very threshold of manhood. He was bright, active, ambitious, and studious. His ambition was to become an eminent civil engineer and had he lived, no doubt his hopes would have been realized for he was possessed of the pluck that wins both fortune and fame in America. [Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-19-1900]

WAGGERSHAUSER—In Jackson, Jan. 15, 1900, Frederick P. Waggershauser, a native of Germany, aged 21 years and 6 months.
[Amador Ledger, Jackson, Friday, 1-19-1900]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2006 -
All rights reserved for original submitters.