||Placer County, California Churches
|A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
In the year 1883 the first Presbyterian
organization was established in Roseville. This organization was known
as the Presbyterian Church
Society, which in the year 1886 became the
United Presbyterian Church of
name it retained until the year 1909, when by act of incorporation it
received the title "The
First Presbyterian Church of Roseville."
The names of the trustees of the original organization were: A. B.
McRae, Thomas McBride, and James McDougal. The original members of the "Presbyterian
Church" were: Robert, Janet and Margaret Ferguson, Martha and
Anna Glading, Alexander and Elizabeth Kerr, Margaret McRae and Emma
McBride. The first pastor was Rev. W. Bruce. The church has had eleven
pastors during its existence. The present pastor was installed in May
1907. There are 51 members belonging to the present organization. There
are two elders: W. F. Fiddyment and W. G. Osborn, and five trustees: W.
G. Osborn, L. L. King, W. F. Fiddyment, A. T. Plum, and Elizabeth
The movement to erect a new church building was begun in the year
1909 and was necessitated by the increasing demands of the large and
Sunday School for more room. At present the School has an
enrollment of 300, but inadequate accommodations make impossible an
average attendance of more than 90 scholars. The church has an active
Aid Society of 25 members. The Endeavor Society consists of 20 members
and is gradually growing in numbers and interest.
Of the money necessary to erect the present building, $2500 was
subscribed principally by the citizens of Roseville, $1000 will be
realized from the sale of the old church, and $1500 has been asked for
from the Board of Church Erection of the Presbyterian Church. When
completed, the building will contain an auditorium seating 250 people, a
Sunday school room,
and a pastor's study. The basement will contain: a swimming pool, small
gymnasium to be used also as a dining room, kitchen, office, and reading
room. The total cost of building will be about $7000.
An attractive program has been arranged for the laying of the
corner stone of the new Presbyterian Church tomorrow afternoon at 2
o'clock. The children will sing, Rev. J. T. Wills of Sacramento will
deliver the address, the Women's Improvement Club will attend in a body
and will present the mayor with the trowel with which he will lay the
stone. Things of historic value will be placed in a receptacle within.
Everyone is invited to this impressive ceremony.
Roseville Register, 11-24-1911, Friday
Submitted By Kathie Kloss Marynik
|ANNIVERSARY SERVICES AT THE M. E. CHURCH
At the suggestion of the Ladies' Aid Society and
through their assistance, the Methodist Church in
Roseville lived for
a space in the past Sunday evening, March 3d. Mrs. Blair, a member who
was present at the dedicatory services 29 years ago the 4th of the
month, gave an interesting bit of the history of that event.
Rev. H. L. Gregory of
El Dorado County, now superannuated, was the pastor. The
dedicatory sermon was preached by the Rev. Jewel of
San Francisco, and
the Rev. Benson of Santa
Clara had charge of the ceremonies. Some of the singers being on
the sick list, the Rocklin choir came to the rescue and was responsible
for the music. Before the building of the church, the little society met
in the old schoolhouse on
the hill, where Sunday school and preaching services were held.
The lot on which the church now stands was presented to the society
by Mrs. Judy, through the agent, J. D. Pratt. Mr. Pratt furnished the
brick for the building, and Mr. Dryer did the building.
Robert Jones helped
with the work and mixed the mortar. The water used was brought to the
scene of operations from Jesse Blair's well, which still remains back of
the dance pavilion. On the day of dedication, it was necessary to raise
about $2000, which sum was met in full by the generous giving of the
citizens, a number giving from $50 to $500 each.
It was the expectation to have a number of the old-time songs
played by the one who was then organist of the church, Mrs. Susan Dryer,
but she feared the crowd and we were denied this treat. For years, she
remained the organist, and we are indeed glad that, though no longer
acting as organist, we have her with us to cheer and aid. Her modest
manner and sweet smile and generous heart give cheer to all who come to
And we are fortunate in the possession, as our very own, of one who
was a pastor of the church 17 years ago, Rev. G. H. VanVleit, who gave
an inspiring address on the ancient days and present needs. Following
this address, the dear old hymn "In the Sweet By and By" was sung, Rev.
VanVleit pronounced the benediction, and the anniversary was over.
Roseville Register, 3-8-1912, Friday
Submitted by Kathie Kloss Marynik
We'll be adding data to this site when
Subscribe to our mailing
lists to be notified when we
update this and our other western websites.
All data on this website is
Any data on this website may be used for
personal family research but may not be
used for commercial use or financial
gain. Data on this site may not be
submitted to other entities with out the
permission of the submitter.
Copyright ©2008-2009 by Genealogy Trails
with full rights reserved for original submitters.