Tehama County, CA
History and Genealogy

Last Updated 3-24-2012

George E. Bassett Services in Corning Services for George Estill Bassett, former Lassen County clerk and Richfield rancher, were held in Corning Saturday. Bassett, who was 73, died in Corning Memorial Hospital after an illness last Wednesday. Bassett was a native of Bieber. After living in Susanville he moved to the Richfield district, almost 31 years ago. He is survived by his wife, Pearl, a son, Lloyd O., Los Angeles, and four brothers, Sylvan and Vern, Adin, Roy, Fall River Mills, and Gene, Burney [Lassen Advocate 1954. Submitted by Jana Stanley]
Howard William Bell
CORNING — Howard William Bell, 54, lifelong resident of Tehama County died yesterday morning in Corning Memorial Hospital. He had been ill over a period of months.Mr. Bell was born Aug. 4,1914 In Los Molinos and attended schools there. Except for a brief time when he was employed in the lumber industry in Plumas County he had made his home In Los Molinos-Corning areas. He was a member of the Catholic Church. He is survived by his wife, Madeline Vanella Bell, of the family home, 808 Marin St., Corning; three sons, Howard of Oakland; Frank, with the U. S. Navy at Corpus Christi, Texas, and William, also of Corpus Christi, five daughters, Mrs. Marianna Cox of Anaheim, Mrs.
Lillian Stevens of Albany, Calif., June Bell of Santa Clara, Debara and Susan Bell, both of Corning; three sisters, Mrs. Grace Disney of Oakland, Mrs. Addie Cook of Roseville, and Mrs. Betty June Langineister of Anderson, three brothers, Arthur of Gridley, Robert and Vernon Bell of Los Molinos and nine grandchildren. A Requiem Mass will be celebrated by the Rev. John Kyne at 2 p.m. Saturday in Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. Burial will be in Sunset Hill Cemetery under the direction of Hall Brothers’ Mortuary.[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/3/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Alma Cairns
Corning – Many friends paid their final respects to Mrs. Alma Louise Cairns at funeral services held at 10 a.m. yesterday in Hall Brothers’ Chapel, with the Rev. Mike Capiello, of the Paskenta Community Church, officiating. Mrs. Cairns died March 27 in Corning Memorial Hospital, following a long illness. She was co-owner of the Paskenta Club with Roy E. Connell who was erroneously listed as a brother. He was not a relative, according to the family. Final rites were conducted at the graveside in the Paskenta Cemetery, where friends of the Paskenta-Flournoy area awaited the arrival of the funeral cortege. Pallbearers were Lloyd King, Joe Duncan, John Stevens, G. H. Whitlock, Clinton Murphy and Harold Mason.
[Red Bluff Daily News, 4/1/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]


Ex-Councilman Is Stricken in State Capital – Death of Member of Old-Time Local Family Is Sudden

Maurice W. Duncan, prominent resident of this community and former mayor and councilman for many years, passed away suddenly last night at the Sutter Hospital in Sacramento. According to word received here, Duncan was stricken while in the capital city to attend a meeting of the Ben Ali Temple Order of Mystic Shrine, held there Saturday. His daughter, Mrs. Don O’Conner of this city, was called to his bedside yesterday afternoon. Duncan and his wife, Mrs. Lettie Duncan, had left Red Bluff a few weeks ago to spend the summer at their home at Smith River, Del Norte County. Mrs. Duncan did not accompany her husband to Sacramento. Maurice W. Duncan was the youngest of a family of 10 children of Mr. and Mrs. William Duncan, who located in Red Bluff many years ago and whose home was on the hill north of town which still bears the family name. During his young life, Duncan was a rancher and later operated a hardware store. His store was destroyed by fire when the old Masonic building located at Main and Oak streets burned, after which Duncan re-established his business in another location. For a few years, he operated the ranch at Bloody Island, owned by the Bank of Tehama County. He retired from active life several years ago. Duncan served as city councilman many years ago, leaving the office for a few years, then was reelected in 1934 and served until 1942. In 1940 he was appointed mayor for one year. During that time, Duncan also served as a member of the board of trustees at the Herbert Kraft Library. In town affairs Duncan was particularly interested in the water department. Duncan is survived by the widow, Mrs. Lettie Duncan; one daughter, Mrs. Don O’Conner; and a granddaughter, Miss Elizabeth O’Connor. A son, Robert Duncan, was killed a number of years ago in an airplane accident. Other surviving relatives include three nieces, Mrs. Walter Stoll, Red Bluff; Mrs. Gordon Cunningham; and Miss Ruth Hall, Sacramento. [Red Bluff Daily News, 5-20-1947. Submitted by Kathie Marynik.]


Farm Boy Who Became Senator Buried in County Cemetery

RED BLUFF, Calif. (UPI)—Clair Engle, a farm boy who became a US Senator, was buried Monday in a country cemetery. National and state dignitaries including his probable successor in Washington paid their last respects to the spunky legislator who lost a year-long battle to a brain tumor. “He had a deep concern for the people,” said Methodist Bishop Donald Harvey Tippett in conducting graveside services. “His compassion for humanity knew no boundaries.” Engle, 52, a Democrat who served 15 years in the House and almost 6 in the Senate, died at his Washington home Thursday from a brain tumor. He had undergone brain surgery twice in the past 11 months. Memorial services were held at Fort Myer, Virginia, near Washington, Saturday, and the mourners included President and Mrs. Johnson and Chief Justice Earl Warren. The one-time “cowboy congressman” was returned home to the farm country he loved for burial, and the home folks in this community of 7,500 turned out 1,000-strong to eulogize him. So did his friends from Washington. An 18-member congressional delegation led by California Senator Thomas H. Kuchel flew west on the presidential plane, Air Force 2, to attend the services. They joined a three-mile cortege from the Tehama County courthouse, where Engle’s body laid in state Sunday and early Monday, to the Red Bluff Cemetery where he was buried. The body was carried from the courthouse by six old friends – Superior Judge Edmund Moore; James K. Carr, former undersecretary of interior; Assemblyman Tom Carrell; and hometown friends Al Woodward, Jack Matteson, and Carlton Skinner. A crowd estimated at 1,000 gathered at the cemetery to hear the eulogy by Bishop Tippett and final rites conducted by the Rev. Doyle Porter of Red Bluff Methodist Church. State dignitaries included Governor Edmund G. Brown, a long-time friend of Engle, and Pierre Salinger, nominated in the June 2 primary as the Democratic candidate to succeed him in the US Senate. Salinger is expected to be appointed for the remaining five months of Engle’s term. Brown, who broke a bone in his ankle last week, led the state delegation in a walking cast. Engle’s wife, Lucretia, stood by with steady composure. Others in the family present for the services were Engle’s father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Engle Sr., and his brothers, Fred Engle Jr. and Robert Engle. [Lodi News-Sentinel, 8-4-1964. Submitted by Kathie Marynik.]


Leo Gorcey Dead After Long Illness

OAKLAND, Calif. (UPI)—Millions of movie fans of the 1930s knew actor Leo Gorcey as the leader of Hollywood’s “Dead End Kids” – an urban slum boy with a heart of gold. Gorcey, whose funeral services will be Friday, rose to stardom in the street kid role, and never escaped it the rest of his professional life. He died Monday of a recurring ailment at Merritt Hospital in Oakland. The hospital declined to disclose the exact cause of death. Gorcey would have been 52 Tuesday. The son of an actor, Gorcey was born in New York City. When he was 20, he and five other youths were cast as a gang of toughs in the Broadway production of Sidney Kingsley’s play, “Dead End.” Two years later the six appeared in Samuel Goldwyn’s movie version of the play and achieved group stardom. Thereafter, Hollywood relentlessly type-cast them in a score of movies that were versions of the Dead End theme. In the role of “Mugsy,” Gorcey was a pugnacious wise guy who wore a felt beanie and talked out of the corner of his mouth. Gorcey’s private life was turbulent. He was married five times, with three of the marriages ending in stormy divorces. In 1948 he was cleared of a charge of firing five shots at his second wife, Mrs. Evalene B. Gorcey, when she entered his Van Nuys, California, home with two private detectives. He once served five days in Los Angeles city jail for driving in excess of 90 miles an hour on Wilshire Boulevard. Gorcey gave up acting in 1956 and settled down on a farm near the rural town of Los Molinos in Northern California. He reportedly owned commercial property there. Like the other five Dead End Kids, Gorcey was not a product of the slums. All came from middle-class families. Gorcey leaves his widow, the former Mary Gannon, whom he wed last July 12. He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Jan Reed of Los Molinos and Miss Brandy Jo Gorcey of Red Bluff, and a son, Leo Gorcey Jr., stationed with the armed forces in Washington, DC. Funeral services will be in Red Bluff, followed by interment at Los Molinos. [Eugene-Register Guard, 6-3-1969. Submitted by Kathie Marynik.]

Vernon Habert
Corning – A requiem mass for Vernon A. Habert was offered by the Rev. John J. Kyne at 10 a.m. Saturday in St. Stanslaus Church in Tehama.Mr. Habert, a member of the Tehama City Council and owner of the Tehama Grocery, died March 26 in Corning Memorial Hospital.A rosary service was held at 8 p.m. Friday in Hall Brothers’ Chapel in Corning.Burial was in the Tehama Cemetery, with C. A. Stromsness, L. E. Kreps, James Lauderdale, Harold Belbeck, Sid Campbell, and C. R. Gilbert as pallbearers.
[Red Bluff Daily News, 4/1/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Billie Lee Hock
Funeral services for Billie Lee Hock, 29, who died suddenly at her Los Robles area home
New Year's Day, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow in Fickert-Mason Chapel.Burial is to be in St. Mary's Cemetery.
[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/3/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Edwin Ben Ingram
Last rites for Edwin Ben Ingram, who died Monday, were held yesterday at Hoyt-Cole Chapel of the Flowers. The Rev. Charles Martin officiated.Serving as pallbearers were Bert B. Bennett, Leonard Richardson, Chester Rhoades, Harold Delvey, Jalmer Rajanen and William R. Hull.Interment was in Oak Hill Cemetery.[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/3/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Death Summons Zoa Alta King (From Chico Enterprise)
Zoa Alta King, a resident of this community for the past 36 years, passed away early Tuesday morning at her home on South Normal avenue. She was born in Beiber, California, November 17, 1877, and has lived in Chico for the past 36 years. Her husband was one of the supervisors of Lassen county for over eight years. He passed away about 17 years ago. Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Carmen Hawkins of Chico, one sister, Mrs. Maud Houk of Durham, two brothers, John and Jess Perkins, of Chico. Seven nieces and nephews also survive.  Funeral services were held Thursday morning at 10:30 o'clock. As residents of Lassen county, Geo. King served as supervisor for a period of eight years from Big Valley and was chairman of the board in 1911. Find A Grave Memorial# 60775473[ Lassen Advocate Friday, June 14, 1940 . Submitted by Jana Stanley]
Vernon L. McCullough
Final services for Vernon Leroy McCullough, who died Thursday morning in a Redding hospital, were held Saturday at Sacred Heart Church with the Rev. Dermot Dwyer officiating. Pallbearers were Ray Elder, A. W. Peters, T. W. Robinson, Bruce Roby, Barry Roby and Brad Roby. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery. Arrangements were in charge of Hoyt-Cole Chapel of the Flowers.[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/13/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Verley Kennedy
Corning- Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon in Hutchinson’s Colonial Chapel in Marysville for Verley M. (Mike) Kennedy, 80, a former long time Corning resident. He died Jan. 7 in Marysville, where the family has resided for the past 15 years.He was a native of Indiana. During the 1930’s and 1940’s the Kennedy family resided in Corning, where the children, all talented musically, attended the local schools, and appeared on many programs, including some on Radio Station KHSL in Chico.Surviving are his wife, Daisy, three daughters, Mrs. B. J. McAdams of Folsom, Mrs. Edward Sparks of Auburn, and Mrs. H. H. Mott of Penryn; a son, Floyd H. Kennedy of Edmonds, Wash., two sisters and 17 grandchildren.Burial was in Sierra View Memorial Park in Marysville.[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/13/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Murray Rolando King
Death claimed Murray Rolando King, 63, on New Year's Day. Mr. King had lived in Red Bluff for 26 years until he and his wife moved to Los Gatos a week before Christmas.Mr. King had suffered an extended illness and died at his Los Gatos home. A bartender,
he was a member of bartenders Local #410.He Is survived by his wife, B. King, who transferred as a nurses' aide from Brentwood Convalescent Hospital in Red Bluff to Los Gatos.A Rosary for Mr. King will be recited at 8 p.m. Sunday in Hoyt-Cole Chapel of the Flowers. Funeral services are to be at 11:30 a.m. in the chapel with interment to follow in St. Mary's Cemetery. The 7 a.m. Mass In Sacred Heart Catholic Church Monday
will be offered for Mr. King, [Red Bluff Daily News, 1/3/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Chinese Killed.
Red Bluff, Cal., July 22-Lao Dao, a Chinese laborer who arrived here yesterday from Ashland, Oregon, was instantly killed last night by the Sacramento local train as it was switching to the storage track. Dao was crossing the track and apparently did not hear the warning shouts of bystanders. (July 22, 1905 Oakland Tribune, Oakland California  Submitted by S. Williams)
Clarence C. Norton
Clarence Clifford Norton, 53, until recently a resident of Tehama County, died NewYear's Day in a San Jose Hospital. A native of Payson, Arizona,
Mr. Norton had been a heavy equipment operator and was a veteran of World War II.He is survived by two sons, Richard of Paradise and Robert of Deming, N.M., a sister,
Edna Mayhew of Willows, two brothers, Floyd Cody of Gerber and Walter L. of Cotton
wood, and six grandchildren. Services are to be held at 10 a.m. Monday in Hoyt-Cole
Chapel of the Flowers with burial in the Veterans' Plot at Oak Hill Cemetery.  [Red Bluff Daily News, 1/3/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Esther Printy
Corning – Mrs. Esther Mae Hodges Printy, 78, a former resident of the San Jose area, died early Sunday at the home of her son, Frank Printy, on Moon Road. She had been in failing health, and had moved to Corning last year to reside with her son.[Red Bluff Daily News, 4/1/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
John L. Schrump
John Lawrence Schrump, 86, 619 Cowles Ave., Red Bluff, died in his home early this morning following a long illness. He had been in this community 29 years and was a retired painter and paper hanger.Mr. Schrump is survived by a sister, Mrs. Marion McDonald of Grand Forks, North Dakota.Funeral services will be held in the Norman Funeral Home in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Fickert-Mason Chapel is in charge of local arrangements.
[Red Bluff Daily News, 4/1/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Lulu Pearl Stover
Corning- Funeral services for Mrs. Lula Pearl Stover were held at 10 a. m. Saturday, in Hall Brothers’ Chapel, with the Rev. John V. Albright of Redding officiating.A long-time Corning resident, Mrs. Stover died Jan. 8 at the Cascade Hospital in Redding following a lengthy illness.Pallbearers were Ray Siler, Ernest Vinson, Earl Fichter, Edward L. Dietz Sr., and Henry C. Moller. Burial was in Sunset Hill Cemetery.[Red Bluff Daily News, 1/13/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]
Pearl Tomlinson
Pearl LeMay Tomlinson, 67, 81 Byron Ave., Red Bluff died yesterday morning in a local hospital.A native of Inman, Kansas, she had resided in Red Bluff for the past 15 years. She was a retired bookkeeper.Mrs. Tomlinson, wife of the late Howard Tomlinson, was a member of the Royal Palms, Chapter # 2 of the Eastern Star, Cristobal, Canal Zone.She is survived by two daughters, Louise Swartz and Pauline McClory, both of Eugene, Ore.; two brothers, Byron Wittorff, Red Bluff, and Charles Wittorff, Grants Pass, Ore., and seven grandchildren.Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 11 a. m. in Fickert-Mason Chapel. Interment will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery.[Red Bluff Daily News, 3/19/1969. Transcribed by Linda Dietz.]


Anne Willard-McNabb Dies at 96 in Antelope

ANTELOPE—Anne Stone Willard-McNabb, the upbeat and energetic 96 year-old matriarch of the Stone/Willard family, died Wednesday, Aug. 3, at her home in Antelope. She loved flower gardening, genealogy, needlepoint, sheep and cattle ranching, but enjoyed writing local history almost as much as loving her family. When she wasn't doting on her two daughters and sons-in-law, five grandchildren and their spouses, 11 great-grandchildren, her 11 brothers and sisters, their spouses and children, she was writing another history article, researching genealogy or sewing a quilt until three months ago when she had a stroke. Anne Helen Stone was born Nov. 14, 1908, and raised in Chester, N.J., until her parents Samuel and Rachel Hazen Stone decided to move west in the winter of 1921-22 with their eight children, Anne, Sam, Henry, Bill, June, Salome, Jim and 3-month-old baby, Bob. In 1925, they moved to a small Los Molinos farm and later to a grape farm near Red Bluff and finally settled in El Camino in 1933 with children Emily, Betty, Fred and Nancy added to the family. She graduated from Red Bluff High School in 1928, worked in Hershey Insurance Agency and was a charter member of Red Bluff Business and Professional Women. She was active in Epworth League, loved to climb Mt. Lassen with her brothers, cutting fruit for drying as a teenager and singing all the popular songs. On Dec. 11, 1929, Anne and Lyman Charles Willard were married in Reno, Nev., with Jack and Evelyn (Willard) McKenzie as witnesses. She lived in the same house on the Willard Ranch in Antelope Valley until her death Wednesday at home. Summers were spent at the Susanville cabin near Willard Creek that had been in the family since 1874, while the sheep grazed on the mountain range. She continued to go to the mountains for the following 36 years, although it was not her favorite place. Cooking three meals a day on a wood stove, with no electricity and only cold running water was too much like camping. She was raised in an era when the family had a milk cow and chickens. Money was scarce during the Depression, but she canned fruit, made the clothing, and kept a smile on her face. People still commented on her lovely smile. When her children were young, she organized the Antelope PTA, served as the first president and started the free lunch program, being recognized with their award in the 1940s. She held a life membership in 13th District PTA. Her work with young people continued as a 4-H sewing leader for over 20 years when her daughters and granddaughters were members. She was a charter member, recognized as a life member in 1988, and a past club officer of the Red Bluff Garden Club. Her Masonic affiliations included: Past Worthy Matron of Vesper Chapter # 20 Eastern Star and member since 1937; a charter member of Order of Amaranth Tehama Court # 122 since 1955; Daughter of Nile, Menzaleh Temple # 16; Red Bluff Nile Club. She was a life member of the Tehama County Genealogical and Historical Society, past officer, and from 1986 to 1998, Anne was co-editor of the "Tehama County Memories" with Maggie Bauer. Other historical memberships included: Lassen County Historical Society; Colusi Co. Historical Society; Willard Family Association; Apgar Family Association; Hunterdon Co, N.J., Historical Society; Kelly- Griggs House Museum and Tehama County Museum. A Shasta College class, “Tehama County History” taught by Mary Lee Grimes 23 years ago, was the beginning of her interest in writing about local history. In her late 80s and 90s, she was part of the Salvation Army writing class and thoroughly enjoyed the class until her stroke. She was very proud of her five grandchildren and two daughters graduating from universities or state colleges. For 13 years, she nursed her husband Lyman after a massive brain hemorrhage occurred in April 1968, which left him completely paralyzed from the nose down. He was at home with nursing help during the day, but she was in charge at night. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a large dinner party with their many friends, community, ranching, family, and Masonic at the Elks Lodge in December 1979. Lyman passed away May 21, 1981. A ranching family friend, John McNabb of Flournoy was her second husband. They had one year of marriage before his unexpected death in 1983. In 1983, spastic dysphasia developed. She struggled to speak in a normal voice, but could no longer sing. She traveled with family members through the United States and Europe. Until Lyman's stroke, she was active in California CowBelles as a state officer. She was a charter member and officer of Tehama County CowBelles since 1953. She was recognized as CowBelle of the Year in 1967 and received the Mother's Day award in 1990. She was a charter member of National Cattlemen's Beef Association, member of National Cattlemen's Association and 65-year-member of California Cattlemen's Association when they bought their Hereford cattle. She was the president of Tehama County Farm Bureau Women as well as a member of Farm Bureau since 1930. Until they disbanded, she was a member and officer of California Bo-Peeps and the Tri-County Bo-Peeps, the California and Tehama County Wool-growers Auxiliary. She served on the Tehama County election boards and the grand jury. For 15 years, she was chair of the Northern California Make It With Wool sewing contest for teenagers. It was not unusual to have 60 girls modeling their wool garments at the local woolgrowers meeting in November. Anne Willard-McNabb is survived by daughters Jean Barton and Marilyn Avrit, sons-in-law Bill Barton of Red Bluff and Bob Avrit of Sonoma.; grandchildren Linda (Kevin) Borror, Gerber; Kendra (Mike) McCluskey, Gerber; Carl (Phyllis) Avrit, Fayetteville, Ga.; Cindy (Ric) Thomas, Woodbridge, Va.; Jim (Stacey) Avrit, Smithfield, Va.; great-grandchildren Callie, Bryce, Rochelle Borror; Jonathan, Andrew, Katie Avrit; Amanda, Sarah, Randy Thomas; Shay and Jennifer McCluskey; brothers and sisters June Moore, Denair; Jim Stone, Seattle, Wash.; Bob Stone, Bass Lake; Emily Ruff, Paskenta; Fred Stone, Woodland, and many nieces and nephews. Family and friends are invited to a celebration of her life from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 13, at the Red Bluff Community Center. [Red Bluff Daily News, Friday, 8-5-2005. Submitted by Kathie Marynik.]


Richfield Resident Dies at Age of 102

RICHFIELD—August Zimmerman, 102-year-old resident of this community, died at his home yesterday afternoon. Born in Basel, Switzerland, August 31, 1846, Zimmerman came to the U.S. May 1, 1867. About four years ago, he injured his hip and has been bedridden ever since. He was nursed by Mrs. Hiram Wamsley during his illness. Up until his injury, he had been active and was well known in Richfield. He is survived by 10 children, 20 grandchildren, and 19 great-grandchildren. A brother, Fred Zimmerman is living in Garnet, Kansas. His age is not known. Sons are Elmer of Richfield; Reuben of Hot Springs, NM; Werner of Albuquerque, NM; Tony of Tucson, AZ; and Hans of Dallas. Daughters are Fred Piene of Red Mesa. CO; Anna Drier of Topeka, KS; Netta Zimmerman of Waco, TX; Heima Antone of Albuquerque; and Ruth McMillan of Salina, KS. Funeral services will be held at Yost’s Corning Mortuary at 2 PM, Monday, and burial will be held that afternoon at Sunset Hill Cemetery. [Red Bluff Daily News, Friday, 11-26-1948 Submitted by Kathie Marynik.]


 All data on this website is
Copyright ©2007-2012 by Genealogy Trails
with full rights reserved for original submitters.