History of Greenwood County
Source: Rocky Mountain Directory and Colorado Gazetteer for 1871, transcribed by J.S.
county stretches from El Paso on the west, to the Kansas line on the
east, and lies between Douglas on the north, and Bent on the south. The
Kansas pacific railway passes through it from east to west. Its surface
is similar to that of the northern portion of Bent. It is, in fact,
situated in the heart of the "Plains." It has not genuine running
streams; abounds in buffalo grass and cactus, and possesses little
interest, as yet, to the agriculturist. In time irrigation, by means of
artesian wells, may demonstrate that its soil is little inferior to
that of more favored sections. For the present, there are plenty of
more desirable lands to be had for the asking.
Kit Carson, on
the Kansas Pacific railway, is the county seat, and with the exception
of one or two small stations, the only town in the county. The
population of Greenwood is not far from 600.