LYMAN BUSHNELL BRAINERD
President of the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection & Insurance Company, and director and trustee of some of the most substantial institutions in Hartford, was born in Colchester, New London County, Connecticut, March 27th, 1856, the son of Asa Brainerd and Susan Elizabeth Brainerd. His father was a farmer and, as there were seven other children to be provided for, the boy Lyman was unable to secure a thorough education. He attended the public schools in the country and studied one term at Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Massachusetts. After leaving school Mr. Brainerd taught a district school in Moodus for a short time, but, although he was successful as a teacher, he did not wish to make teaching his life work and he embraced the first business opportunity that offered. In March, 1876, Mr. Brainerd began his business career in Middletown, Connecticut, as fire-insurance solicitor for Mr. Anson F. Fowler, who represented the Agricultural Insurance Company of Watertown, New York, and from whom Mr. Brainerd learned the details of the fire insurance business. Two years later, in 1878, he left Mr. Fowler to become a canvasser for the State Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Hartford, but at the end of a year he left this company to accept a higher position with the Jersey City Fire Insurance Company, with which he was identified for seven years during which time he was promoted to the rank of general agent and adjuster. In 1886 Mr. Brainerd entered the employ of the Equitable Mortgage Company of New York City as negotiator of bonds. The following year he was made secretary of the company and in 1890 he became manager of its bond department. Mr. J. M. Allen was then president of the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company and a friendship between Mr. Allen and Mr. Brainerd grew out of Mr. Brainerd's business visits to Hartford. Through Mr. Allen Mr. Brainerd was offered the position of assistant-treasurer of the Hartford Steam Boiler Company and he entered upon the duties of that office in 1894. In 1899 he was made treasurer and in 1903 he became a director of the company. Mr. Allen died in 1903 and Mr. Brainerd was considered the most capable and worthy man to fill his place and on July 12th, 1904, he was elected president of the company. Mr. Brainerd is also a director in the Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, in the Security Company, and in the latter he is a member of the finance committee, he is a trustee and member of the loaning committee of the Society for Savings, and trustee and chairman of the executive committee of the Hartford Theological Seminary. He is a member of the First Church of Christ ( Center Congregational Church), of the Hartford Club and the Hartford Golf Club. He has always been a Republican in political allegiance. On the 28th of October, 1903, Mr. Brainerd was married to Miss Lucy Morgan Brainerd, by whom he has had one child, Mary Leverett. Their home is at 144 Washington Street, Hartford. [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut: Published by W.R. Goodspeed, 1907]
MARO SPAULDING CHAPMAN
Late manufacturer, banker and public man, general manager, secretary and treasurer of the Hartford Manufacturing Company, president of the Plimpton Manufacturing Company, president of the City Bank of Hartford, treasurer of the Manchester Light and Power Company of Manchester, ex-representative and state senator, and a man of great prominence in business and political affairs in Manchester and Hartford, was born in East Haddam, Middlesex County, Connecticut, February 13th, 1839. On the paternal side Mr. Chapman is in the seventh generation of descent from Robert Chapman, born in England in 1616, who came to Boston in 1635, and settled in Saybrook in 1636. This original ancestor of the family in America was deputy to the General Court from Saybrook forty-three times and held other town offices of importance. Robert Chapman, second of the name, was a prominent member of legislature, an extensive landowner and a town surveyor. Mr. Chapman's father was Nathaniel Chapman, a tanner and farmer, a man who was very active and energetic and who was characterized by absolute straightforwardness and reliability and by the strength of his convictions and opinions. His second wife, Mr. Chapman's mother, was Hannah Percival Chapman, a woman of fine education, strong character and vigorous mind, whose influence for good was the strongest ever exerted upon her son.
A farmer's son and naturally active and strong, Maro Chapman was busy both in and out of school and began at the age of seventeen to be entirely self-supporting. His education was confined to that afforded by the common school of East Haddam and two years at a private school in the same village. Farm duties took most of his time outside of school and the home life was too busy for extensive reading, but he made it a point then as throughout his later life to keep in touch with all movements in business and politics. At seventeen he went to work as clerk in the country store in his native village and a year later he did similar work in Manchester, Connecticut.
At nineteen he sold books by subscription throughout Pennsylvania. The next change in his career was brought about by the outbreak of the Civil War and its stirring challenge to young men of patriotic spirit like young Mr. Chapman. He enlisted as a private in Company C, 12th Regiment, Connecticut Volunteers, and served with great faithfulness for a year and six months.
At the close of his term of military service, Mr. Chapman entered upon the career of business and public activity which he has continued uninterruptedly ever since. From 1869 to 1874 he was engaged in the manufacture of commercial envelopes as a member of the Plimpton Manufacturing Company of Hartford, which secured the contract for the manufacture of stamped envelopes for the United States government in 1874 and became the United States Stamped Envelope Works, with Mr. Chapman as general manager. The concern is now owned by the Hartford Manufacturing Company, of which Mr. Chapman was general manager, secretary and treasurer. The company employs three hundred and fifty persons and its daily output is five and one-half million envelopes. It has supplied all of the stamped envelopes used by the government and by the post- office department at Washington for over thirty-two years. It was through the tact, the perseverance and the executive ability of Mr. Chapman that his company was able to secure the contract and was capable of fulfilling it so successfully. The struggle for the contract was a long and difficult one and in presenting his claim Mr. Chapman faced tremendous opposition heavily involved in political differences, but his shrewdness, justice and honest appeal to the best interests of the government, backed by the high grade of work done by his company, won the day and achieved the merited victory.
Mr. Chapman also was most influential in starting and developing other industries and financial organizations in Hartford and Manchester. He was one of the founders of the Hartford Manila Company and its president from 1878 to 1890. He originated the Hartford, Manchester and Rockville Tramway Company, was its president and general manager for ten years and held nearly two- thirds of the stock until it was sold to the Shaw syndicate of Boston in 1905. He was president of the Plimpton Manufacturing Company, president of the City Bank of Hartford, and treasurer of the Manchester Light and Power Company of Manchester, Connecticut.
In public life Mr. Chapman had many honors and responsibilities, particularly those in the gift of the Republican party, with which he maintained a lifelong, active connection. He represented Manchester in the State Legislature in 1882, during which session he was chairman of the committee on cities and boroughs. He was state senator from the second district in 1884 and 1885 and was then chairman of the committee on railroads. At the Republican State Convention in 1900 he was unanimously chosen presidential elector for Hartford and Tolland Counties. For ten years he was chairman of the Road and Bridge Commission of Manchester and he is now chairman of the " Committee of Fifteen" appointed by the town of Manchester in 1905 to secure a better and broader system of town government. He was a member of the Republican Town Committee of Manchester for over thirty years and its chairman for twelve years.
Fraternally Mr. Chapman was a Mason and an Odd Fellow. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of the Drake Post of Manchester and was commander of that post continuously for nine years. He was a Congregationalist in creed and a liberal supporter of his church. His busy life allowed but little time for recreation, though he always took much pleasure in driving a good horse.
Mr. Chapman was twice married, in 1861 to Lucy Woodbridge, who died in 1869, leaving one daughter, and again in 1871 to Helen Robbins of Manchester, who is the mother of two daughters. Their home is in South Manchester, Connecticut.
The eminent success won by Maro Chapman in business and political life added force to his sound advice to young men starting in life. He bade them to "be absolutely truthful and direct in everything. Strive to make yourself so useful that you become a necessity to whatever undertaking you engage in, or to your employer. Never watch the clock. Be personally interested in all you attempt to do."
Maro S. Chapman died at Yonkers, New York, March 21st, 1907. The following editorial, taken from the Hartford Times of that date, shows the esteem in which he was held.
"The death of Maro S. Chapman is a loss to the community in which for many years he has been an esteemed and useful citizen. He was a man of decisive manner, who preferred to accomplish things peaceably and without display, but he had courage and persistence for any emergency. If it came to a fight in politics or in business he took it as part of his day's work, and always gave a good account of himself. In this he was like the trained soldier who fights because it is his business when certain contingencies arise, but is likely to be rather more peaceful than some of those about him unless fighting is the necessity of the situation. This temperament is as useful in business as in soldiering, and Mr. Chapman was a first-rate man of business. He made his plans carefully, he could look ahead and estimate the future, and he was not a rainbow chaser. Fortune interferes in the affairs of all men, but those who trust least to fortune and guard as far as possible against contingencies become in proportion to their capacity and opportunity the masters instead of the slaves of chance. His business life is too well known to require special mention here, although it is proper to mention as an illustration his part in the making of the Manchester Street Railway Company. He made that company what it became, and both in general scheme and in the details of its operation he showed conclusively his ability to plan soundly and execute effectively." [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut: Published by W.R. Goodspeed, 1907]
Lawyer and state's attorney, Tolland County, Connecticut, was born in East Hartford, Connecticut, August 10th, 1852. His earliest ancestors in America were William and George Phelps who emigrated from Tewksbury, England, to New England in 1630. George Phelps first settled in Dorchester, Massachusetts, and came to Windsor, Connecticut, in 1635, moving again to Westfield, Massachusetts, where he died in 1687. Mr. Phelps is in the eighth generation of descent from this George Phelps, the line of his descent being through Jacob, Benjamin, Benjamin (2), Benjamin (3), Levi and the Rev. Benjamin C. Phelps, the last being Mr. Phelps' father, a Methodist clergyman who was also chaplain and librarian of the Connecticut State's Prison. Mr. Phelps' father was above everything else a hard worker, and besides these offices and his pastorate he went as missionary to the whalemen in the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans. Mr. Phelps' mother was Sarah Parker Humphrey and her influence was in all respects the strongest ever exerted upon him.
It was with much difficulty that Mr. Phelps acquired an education, for he was reared in a small village and worked at intervals upon the farm. During one year of his school life he went to sea. He was very fond of reading and took especial pleasure in history and biography with Irving and Macaulay always near at hand. After attending the schools in Wethersfield he prepared for college and graduated from Wesleyan University in 1875. He then read law for two years with B. H. Bill of Rockville, who was State's Attorney, and was admitted to the Tolland County Bar in 1877.
Mr. Phelps has continued steadily in the practice of law since his admission to the Bar, and his career as a lawyer has been marked by many important and successful suits in both State and United States Courts. He represented Tolland County on the State Board of Examiners of applicants for admission to the Bar for many years. He was county coroner from the time of the creation of that office in 1883 until his appointment as State's Attorney, and he was City Attorney and prosecuting attorney for a number of years. He was the first Attorney-General of Connecticut, holding that office from 1899 to 1902. For two years, from 1897-99, he was Secretary of State. In 1885 he was a member of the House of Representatives from the town of Vernon, and in 1903 he was State Senator from the twenty-third Senatorial District. In 1902 he was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention.
The law and politics are by no means the extent of Mr. Phelps' active interests. He is a member of the college fraternity Psi Upsilon, of the Odd Fellows, both of the Rising Star Lodge No. 49 at Rockville and of the Midian Encampment at Hartford, and he is a member of the Congregational Church. He finds his most congenial exercise in the saddle and on the links. In addition to the other duties that make up Mr. Phelps' busy life he is a director in the Rockville National Bank. On March 28th, 1900, Mr. Phelps was married to Elsie Edith Sykes, a daughter of the late George Sykes. They have had no children.
The profession of law was Mr. Phelps' personal preference and he has persisted in it faithfully and with great success. To home influences, first of all, he owes his impulse to succeed and his steadfastness in following that impulse. [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut: Published by W.R. Goodspeed, 1907]
JOHN EMERY MORRIS
MORRIS, JOHN EMERY, of Hartford, was born in Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, November 30th, 1843. His father was Henry Morris, a sea captain who was lost at sea when his son was an infant. On his father's side Mr. Morris is a descendant of Edward Morris, who came from England and settled in Roxbury, Massachusetts, in 1633; and on his mother's side he traces his ancestry back to Pierre Bontecou, a Huguenot refugee who left La Rochelle, France, and came to New York in 1688.
Mr. Morris was brought up in Springfield, where he attended the public schools, and carried newspapers, until at the age of seventeen he became clerk in the Charter Oak Bank in Hartford. This position he obtained through the influence of his uncle, who was cashier in the bank. Four years later he became clerk in the Travelers Insurance Company. Cashier and assistant secretary were the steps by which in 1898 he reached his present position of secretary and member of the board of governors. In 1899 he became also director of the Charter Oak Bank, a position which he still holds. For over twenty years he has been clerk of the Second Ecclesiastical Society of Hartford. He is a member of the Connecticut Historical Society, the Huguenot Society of America, Sons of the American Revolution and the Order of Founders and Patriots of America. He has written several genealogical works.
Mr. Morris was married in 1867 to Mary P. Felt . They have had three children, all of whom are living. He attends the Congregational church. His favorite amusements are fishing, tramping, and taking photographs. In the political world he has always been associated with the Republican party.
The successful life of Mr. Morris shows how by faithful application, and without any exceptional advantages of education, the paper boy and bank clerk may become a bank director and a man of prominence and influence in the community. [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut: Published by W.R. Goodspeed, 1907]
Farmer and Stock Raiser ; Sec. 18; Coral P. O.; born in Suffield, Hartford Co.. Conn., April 25, 1815; came to McHenry Co. (IL) in June, 1839 ; owns 160 acres of land; property valued at $10,000 ; was School Commissioner four years, County Commissioner three years and Sheriff two years; at present Township Assessor of Coral. Married Hannah Granger, of Suffield, Hartford Co., Conn., October 20, 1838; she was born August 9, 1817; had nine children, eight living. [Source: 1877 McHenry County, Illinois Directory; contributed by K. T.]
SYLVESTER CLARK DUNHAM
President of the Travelers Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut, was born in Mansfield, Tolland County, Connecticut, April 24th, 1846. He is the son of Jonathan Lyman Dunham and Abigail Hunt Eldredge. On his mother's side Mr. Dunham's ancestry is traceable to two names that will always thrill the sons and daughters of New England; William Brewster, Ruling Elder of the Pilgrim Company that founded the parent colony of New England at Plymouth in 1620, and Stephen Hopkins, his fellow passenger on the Mayflower. The part of these men in colonial history is too well known to need repetition here. William Brewster, who was born in 1563, married Mary Eldridge, from whom Abigail Hunt Eldridge was directly descended. The name of Eldredge, or Eldred, is of Saxon origin, being the name of several early Saxon kings. John Eldred of Great Saxham, Suffolk (1552-1632), was a great traveler, and one of the founders of Virginia in 1607. He was a member of His Majesty's Council for the Virginia Company of London, from which the Pilgrim Fathers obtained their patent, though contrary winds carried them to Massachusetts instead of Virginia. It is reasonably supposed that the Mayflower Eldredges were related to this John Eldred in some way.
Mr. Dunham's father was a farmer in occupation, a man who was absolutely square in his relations with his fellow men. Mr. Dunham's health as a boy was good, and as he lived in the country, and was raised on a farm, his youth was one of vigorous industry. He had many difficulties to overcome in acquiring an education, which consisted of a few terms in the common schools, two country academies, and Mount Union College. His taste in reading was of a nature to supplement well this rather meager schooling, for he delighted in history, biography, and the best fiction, and was a devoted admirer of Dickens and Shakespeare, the only poet whom he read extensively. He made such good use of his few educational advantages that he began his work in life as a teacher in a district school in Ohio in 1863, at the age of seventeen, choosing this course for himself, and having parental approval and encouragement. While in Ohio Mr. Dunham joined a little literary society organized by the Rev. Edward Lamb, to whose influence he owes his first strong impulse to win life's prizes. After teaching two years Mr. Dunham became editor of the New Britain Record, spending the moments spared from journalistic duties in studying law in the office of the Hon. Charles E. Mitchell. He was also clerk of police court in New Britain.
In 1871 Mr. Dunham was admitted to the Hartford County Bar. and in 1873 he began the practice of law in Hartford in the office of Hon. Henry C. Robinson, and he continued his legal practice for ten years. During that time, on October 18th, 1877, he married Man- Mercy Austin and one child, now living, was born to them. During a part of this same decade Mr. Dunham was engaged in mining litigations in the West for Eastern clients. From 1883 to 1885 he was secretary of the P. & F. Corbin Hardware Company of New Britain, Connecticut. Then, at the request of the late President James G. Batterson, he became General Counsel for the Travelers Insurance Company of Hartford and acted in this capacity for two years. In 1897 he was made vice-president of the company, and in 1901, upon Mr. Batterson's death, he was elected to the office of president, which he still holds. Mr. Dunham is also a director in several banks, insurance companies, and other corporations, including the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company, the American Hardware Corporation, and the International Banking Corporation, and is treasurer of the Colorado Valley Land Company. Though his legal education was self-conducted, Mr. Dunham's success as a lawyer won him the position of city attorney of Hartford for three years. He has served on the Board of Water Commissioners and in many other official capacities.
Socially, Mr. Dunham is a member of the Union League Club of New York, of the New England Society of Mayflower Descendants, of the Sons of the American Revolution, of the Twentieth Century Club of Hartford, of which literary society he has been president, of the Hartford Club, of which he is now vice-president, and of other local clubs and societies. Politically, Mr. Dunham has been a life-long Republican, though he has not been bound by party lines in local politics. His religious affiliation is with the Congregational Church. He is a traveler of considerable experience, and according to his own modest estimation he is " something of a fisherman."
Though handicapped by a limited education, and by many difficulties and disappointments, Mr. Dunham, through the perseverance and industry which he deems the best remedies for failure, has acquired great legal and business ability, and a broad culture, and he has attained to such success in life as his responsible position indicates and his steady purpose has deserved. Mr. Dunham modestly declines to give advice to those coming after him, but they may find it embodied in his life, the key-note of which has been perseverance and self- development. [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut: Published by W.R. Goodspeed, 1907]
E. B. ALDERMAN
ALDERMAN, E. B., dealer in farm machinery and seeds. Marion; born in West Springfield, Mass., April 5, 1826; removed to Chenango, Broome Co., N. Y., with his parents, in 1828; in 1843, went to Suffield, Hartford Co., Conn.; lived there until 1848, and then returned to Chenango, N. Y.; remained there until 1850, when he came to Brown Tp., Linn Co., Iowa, and located land in that township; lived in Anamosa, until the Spring of 1851, when he went on his farm in Brown Tp., and resided there until February, 1856; then went East and spent a few months, and returned to Iowa and located near Anamosa, in Jones Co.; engaged in farming there until the Spring of 1860, when he commenced mercantile business at Anamosa. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 31st I. V. I.; he raised that company of 106 men in three days, and was commissioned Captain of the company when it was first organized; on account of ill health, he resigned Feb. 13, 1863. Returned to Anamosa, where his partner had continued their mercantile business during his absence; although broken down in health for several years, he continued his business, and in 1869 he engaged in farm machinery trade exclusively; carried on that business at Anamosa until 1875; was engaged in the lumber business in 1876; Jan. 1, 1877, he engaged in his present business at Marion. Married Lydia A. Osborn in January, 1848; she was born in Westfield. Mass., April 25, 1826; they have had eight children—Louis E., died aged 2 years 4 months and 8 days; Amaret L., died aged 19 years ; the living are Mary Imogene, Fannie E., Ada M., Edwin G., Ettie and Jennie V. Mr. and Mrs. Alderman and their four oldest children are members of the Baptist Church. [Source: The History of Linn County Iowa; Western Historical Company; 1878; transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
SARAH KNOWLES BOLTON
BOLTON, Mrs. Sarah Knowles, author, born in Farmington, Conn., 15th September, 1841. She is a daughter of John Segar Knowles, descended from Henry Knowles, who moved to Portsmouth, R. I., from London, England, in 1635. Her grandmother, Mary Car, enter, was descended from Elizabeth Jenckes, sister of Joseph Jenckes, Governor of Rhode Island. Mrs. Bolton comes on her mother's side from Nathaniel Stanley, of Hartford, Conn., Lieutenant Colonel of First Regiment in 1739; Assistant Treasurer, 1725-49; Treasurer, 1749-55, and from Colonel William Pynchon, one of the twenty-six incorporators of Massachusetts Bay Colony, and the founder of Springfield, Mass. At the age of seventeen she became a member of the family of her uncle, Colonel H. L. Miller, a lawyer of Hartford, whose extensive library was a delight, and whose house was a center for those who loved scholarship and refinement. The aunt was a person of wide reading, exquisite taste and social prominence. There the young girl met Harriet Beecher Stowe, Lydia H. Sigourney, and others like them, whose lives to her were a constant inspiration. She became an excellent scholar and graduated from the seminary founded by Catherine Beecher. Her first published poem appeared in the “Waverly Magazine,” when she was fifteen years old. Soon after her graduation she published a small volume, “Orlean Lamar and Other Poems” (New York, 1863), and a serial was accepted by a New England paper. Later she was married to Charles E. Bolton, a graduate of Amherst College, an able and cultivated man, and they removed to Cleveland, Ohio. She became the first secretary of the Woman's Christian Association of that city, using much of her time in visiting the poor. When, in 1874, the temperance crusade began in Hillsborough, Ohio, she was one of the first to take up the work and aid it with voice and pen. She was soon appointed assistant corresponding secretary of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and as such, says Miss Willard, "She kept articles, paragraphs and enlightening excerpts before the public, which did more toward setting our new methods before the people than any single agency had ever compassed up to that time." At the request of the temperance women of the country. Mrs. Bolton prepared a history of the crusade for the Centennial temperance volume, and of the Cleveland work for Mrs. Wittenmyer's general history. At that time she published her temperance story entitled "The Present Problem" (New York, 1874). Invited to Boston to become one of the editors of the "Congregationalist," a most useful and responsible position, she proved herself an able journalist. She passed two years abroad, partly in travel and partly in study, that being her second visit to Europe. She made a special study of woman's higher education in the universities of Cambridge, Oxford, and elsewhere, preparing for magazines several articles on that subject, as well as on woman's philanthropic and intellectual work, and on what was being done for the mental and moral help of laboring people by their employers, reading a paper on that subject at a meeting of the American Social Science Association held in Saratoga in 1883. Mrs. Bolton's additional published works are "How Success is Won " (Boston, 1884); " Lives of Poor Boys who Became Famous" (New York, 1885); "Girls who Became Famous" (New York, 1886); "Stories from Life" (New York, 1886); "Social Studies in England" (Boston, 1886); "From Heart and Nature, Poems" (New York, 1887), "Famous American Authors" (New York, 1887); "Famous American Statesmen" (New York, 1888); "Some Successful Women" (Boston, 1888); "Famous Men of Science" (New York, 1889); "Famous European Artists" (New York, 1890); "English Authors of the Nineteenth Century" (New York, 1890); English Statesmen of Queen Victoria's Reign" (New York, 1891); "Famous Types of Womanhood" (New York, 1892). Several of these books have been reprinted in England. Mrs. Bolton's home is an ideal one for the lover of art and literature. Her husband is a man of wide travel and reading, and has given thirteen-hundred lectures during the past nine seasons. They have but one child, a son, Charles Knowles Bolton, graduated from Harvard College in 1890, and an assistant now in the Harvard University Library. (American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
DAVID RANDOLPH CALHOUN
CALHOUN, David Randolph, president Ely & Walker Dry Goods Co.; born, Hartford, Conn., Feb. 28, 1858: son of George W. and Sarah R. (Giles) Calhoun; educated in common schools, New Market, N. J., and Smith Academy, Dunellen, N. J.; married, New York City, Nov. 25, 1891, Marie Gardner Whitmore; children: Josephine C. (Mrs. C. Norman Jones), by previous marriage; David R., Jr., by present marriage. Began business career in New York with Noyes, White & Co., commission notions, 1876-78; came to St. Louis, 1878, and entered employ of Ely, Janis & Co., wholesale dry goods; firm was incorporated, 1883, as Ely & Walker Dry Goods Co., of which was elected president in 1903, and still continues in that capacity. Member Business Men's League. Independent in politics. Clubs: St. Louis , St. Louis Country, Log Cabin, Noonday, Racquet. Recreation: golf. Office: 1520 Washington Ave. Residence: 4446 Lindell Boulevard. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
GEORGE A. CLARK
George A. Clark, the leading hotel keeper of Rifle, where he owns and conducts a house that pleases the commercial tourists and the general public in its appointments and the manner in which its accommodations are served, is a native of Hartford county, Connecticut, where he was born on October 11, 1844. His education was secured by a limited attendance at the public schools and a term or two at Lewis Academy. At the age of fourteen he went to work in a shoe store, and from that time until 1865 he was so occupied in his native state and Wisconsin , during a portion of the time being also a clerk in a mercantile house. In 1865 he moved to Marquette , on the shore of Lake Superior , where he was variously employed until 1871, when he was returned to his Connecticut home, and after remaining there for a number of months came to Colorado in 1872. He made a short stay at Denver , then moved to Fairplay where he and A.B. Crook started a mercantile business which they conducted until 1876, meeting with good success. In the year last named Mr. Clark opened the first hotel with hot springs bathhouse attached that was ever conducted in this part of the country. In the spring of 1878 he changed his residence to Leadville and soon afterward to Malta. Here he engaged in merchandising and the livery business, and in connection therewith conducted the postoffice and for nine years served as justice of the peace. In 1887 he sold out his interests at Malta and moved to the Rifle valley, where he purchased the improvements on the one hundred and sixty acres of land which he still owns. When he settled here the country was also wholly undeveloped, there being few road and no bridges, the settlers being obliged to ford the river when they wished to cross. Of his ranch one hundred acres are tillable and produce abundant crops of hay, grain, vegetables and fruit, hay and cattle, however, being the chief resources of revenue thereon. Since 1895 Mr. Clark has been a hotel keeper and the most prominent and successful one in the town of Rifle, showing in his business a skill in management and a suavity of manner that make him and his house universally popular. In political faith he is an unwavering Republican, and in fraternal life belongs to the Elks and the Eagles. He is the son of George and Henrietta N. (Cowles) Clark, the former of Scotch and the latter of English descent. The father was a blacksmith and machinist and also a farmer. He supported the Republican party with ardor and pushed his business with vigor and successful enterprise. He died in 1880, having for a year outlived his wife, who passed away in 1879. They had a family of ten children, four of whom are living, Josephine, at Denver , Mrs. A. B. Clark, at Fairplay, George A., at Rifle, all in Colorado , and Edward A., at St. Louis , Missouri. Of the other six four died in infancy and Frederick A. and John in later life. George was married on April 29, 1874, to Miss Minnie Norman, a native of Chillicothe , Missouri. Mr. Clark is highly esteemed as a man of liberality, public-spirit and enterprise who has been a potent factor in promoting the growth and development of his county and community, and as a genial and companionable citizen. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado , Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)
FRANK CHRISTOPHER COOK
COOK, Frank Christopher, lawyer; born, Hartford, Conn., Dec. 25, 1871; son of Michael J. and Ellen (Ganley) Cook; educated in public schools of Hartford and Law Department, University of Michigan, degree of LL.B., 1895; married Bay City, Mich., 1902, Frances Conway. Has practiced in Detroit since 1895; director Detroit Steamship Co. Democrat. Roman Catholic Office: 1223 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 101 Pallister Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis; 1908; Contributed by FoFG]
ALBERT WHEATON COOKE
Class of 1869
B. 18 Sept., 1843, Shelburne Falls, Mass. Capt. 57th Mass. Vols. Business. D. 20 Nov., 1903, Hartford, Conn. [Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1903-1904, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
ROSE TERRY COOKE
COOKE, Mrs. Rose Terry, author, born on a farm near Hartford, Conn., 17th February, 1827. Her father was Henry Wadsworth Terry, and her mother's maiden name was Anne Wright Hurlbut, and she was a daughter of John Hurlbut, of Wethersfield, Conn., who was the first New England shipmaster who sailed around the earth. When Rose Terrv was six years old, her parents moved into Hartford. Her father educated her in out-door lore, and she was familiar with birds, bees, flowers and sunshine. She was carefully trained at home, and in school she was brilliant and noted for the ease with which she learned and for her skill in versification when only a child. She was graduated in 1843, and, although only sixteen years old, became a teacher in Hartford. She afterward taught in New Jersey. Family needs called her home, and she then began to study with the intention of becoming an author. She published poems in the New York"Tribune," and at once won a reputation. She published her first story in "Graham's Magazine," in 1845. Her reception was encouraging. Other productions followed, and in a short time she published a volume of verse. She contributed to "Putnam's Magazine." "Harper's Magazine" and the "Atlantic Monthly" poems and stories, and her productions were in general demand. In 1872 she became the wife of Rollin H. Cooke, a Connecticut manufacturer, and they lived in Winsted for some years. Her most important works are " Poems by Rose Terry " (Boston, 186o), "Happy Dodd" (Boston, 1879), "Somebody's Neighbors " (Boston, 1881), "RootBound" (Boston, 1885), and "The Sphinx's Children " (Boston, 1886). Her short stories, humorous and descriptive, of New England life would fill several volumes. She died in Pittsfield, Mass., 18th July, 1892. (American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
Born, Nov. 26, 1827, Lebanon, N.H. Son of Jonathan and Sarah (Center) Dustan. He taught at New Boston, Milford, and Andover, two years in all, and two years at McIndoes Falls, Vt. He graduated from Andover Theological Seminary in 1859. He has been pastor of churches in Peterboro, N.H., and Boxboro, and South Acton, Mass. In 1870-71 he represented Peterboro in the New Hampshire legislature. Died, 1902, at Hartford, Conn.
Married (1) Lucy A. Marsh, of Thetford, Vt., 1855; (2) Sarah L. Nichols, of Peterboro, N.H.[Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1901-1902, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler
GREW, Miss Mary, anti-slavery agitator and preacher, born in Hartford, Conn., 1st September, 1813. Her childhood and early youth were spent there. In 1834 she removed to Boston, Mass., and afterwards to Philadelphia, Pa., where she still resides. The principal work of her life has been performed in the interest of our colored population. By inheritance and training she was a radical Abolitionist. When the Boston Female Anti-Slavery Society was organized, she became a member of it. On her removal to Philadelphia she joined the Female Anti-Slavery Society of that city, became its corresponding secretary, and wrote its annual reports until 1870, when the society disbanded. She was a member of the Woman's Anti-Slavery Convention in 1838, which held its sessions in Pennsylvania Hall, surrounded by a furious mob, which destroyed the building by fire a few hours after the convention adjourned. Her public speaking was for many years confined to anti-slavery platforms almost exclusively. That cause demanded much of its advocates during the years when their number was few and the name of Abolitionist was counted odious in church and state. After slavery was abolished and the fifteenth amendment of the United States Constitution was ratified, she devoted her energies and time.0 other reforms, especially to the enfranchisement of women. She became a member of a Unitarian Church, in which there were no distinctions based upon sex. There she commenced the work of occasional preaching. She found the pulpits of Unitarian churches freely opened to her, and in northern New England also the pulpits of Free-will Baptists, Methodists and Congregational churches. She was one of the founders of the New Century Club, of Philadelphia. She was also one of the founders of the Pennsylvania Woman Suffrage Association, and is still its president. (Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
HALL, Miss Mary, lawyer, born in Marlborough, Conn., in 185- (sic). She was the oldest daughter of Gustavus Ezra Hall, of Marlborough. The original Hall ancestor was John Hall, of Coventry, Warwickshire, England, who came to this country with Governor Winthrop in 1630. Miss Hall was graduated in the Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass., in 1866, and taught in that institution for several years, later filling the chair of mathematics in Lasell Seminary. During a summer vacation in July, 1877, she began her legal studies. In 1879 Miss Hall was appointed a commissioner of the Superior Court. It was the first time that such an honorable appointment had been given to a woman in Connecticut. In March, 1882, Miss Hall formally applied for admission to the bar, having passed her examinations with credit. The affair made a sensation. She took her examination in an open court-room, and not under the most favorable circumstances, but went through the ordeal with credit. The question of her eligibility was submitted to the Supreme Court, and in July, 1882, a decision was rendered in her favor. She took her attorney's oath 3rd October, 1882, and was also made a notary public in the same year. In 1890 Miss Hall began a rescue work for street boys that so increased until it attracted the attention of gentlemen of wealth and influence, who contributed of their means, until now it stands upon a firm foundation. The Hartford Female Seminary building was purchased and fitted up at a cost of more than $25,000. In 1890 the number enrolled was 846, and the largest attendance at any one time was 500. (Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
THEODORE PARSONS HALL
HALL, Theodore Parsons; born, Rocky Hill, Conn., Dec. 15, 1835; son of Samuel H. P. and Emeline (Bulkeley) Hall; educated in academies at Binghamton and Albany, N.Y., and Yale University, graduating, 1856; married at Detroit, Jan. 11, 1860, Alexandrine Louise Godfrey. Studied law one year and acted for a short time as assistant manager of newspaper; was with the Central Bank, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and later with Thompson Bros., brokers, Wall St.; removed to Detroit, 1859, and with L. E. Clark and others established the State Bank of Michigan, which later was merged into the First National Bank of Detroit; entered grain commission business, 1863, on Detroit Board of Trade; entered into partnership in commission business, in 1868, under firm name of Gillett & Hall, continuing until 1888, when he retired from active business. Recreations: Travel and literature. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich. [Source: The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis - Submitted by Christine Walters]
HERBERT C. HITCHCOCK
HITCHCOCK, Herbert C.; born, Southington, Conn., June 8, 1866; son of Joseph R and Roxanna G. (Gridley) Hitchcock; parents moved to Bay City, Mich., 1868 educated in public schools of Bay City; married at Bay City, 1889, Jennie L. Lanford. Entered employ of the Hitchcock Lumber Co., 1884; came to Detroit, 1902; and filled position of secretary and treasurer of the City Lumber Co.; was one of the organizers of the Central Lumber Co., 1905, of which is secretary and treasurer. Former alderman and police commissioner of Bay City. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32*), Knight Templar, Shriner. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: Cor. Rose and Eighteenth Sts. Residence: 115 Pingree Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis; Copyright, 1908; Sub by FoFG]
W. J. KENDALL
KENDALL, W. J., dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., Marion ; born in Marion May 19, 1851; engaged in present business since 1869. Married Emma R. Braucht Dec. 25, 1873, at Oak Ridge, Ohio; they have one child —Sarah A., born July 25, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Kendall are members of the Congregational Church. Mr. K.'s father, Albert Kendall, was one of the early settlers of this place; he was born at West Granby, Conn., July 3, 1815; came to Marion in 1844, and died here Jan. 19, 1877;; his widow, Sarah C. Kendall, survives him, and resides with her son, W. J.; she was born in West Granby, Conn.; one son—W. A.—was a resident of this county about twenty four years; he is now agent of the B., C. R. & N. R'y Co., at Burlington, Iowa. [Source: The history of Linn County Iowa; Western Historical Company; 1878; transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
NOBLE EMERSON PIERCE
PIERCE, NOBLE EMERSON, lawyer, former State senator and County treasurer, one of the strongest leaders of the Democratic party in Connecticut, a prominent campaign speaker and Mason, as well as a man of extensive professional and business interests in Bristol and Hartford, Connecticut, was born in Bristol, July 31st, 1854.
His first American ancestor was John Perss, who emigrated from Norwich, Norfolk County, England, to this country in the year 1637, bringing with him his wife, Elizabeth, and four children. He came to New England in either the " John and Dorothy" of Norwich or the " Rose" of Yarmouth. He settled first at Woburn, and died August, 1661, at Watertown, Mass. The line of descent is through his oldest son, John, who was born in England and came over with his father and lived in Boston and Woburn, Massachusetts, and Wethers- field, Connecticut. His son, Deacon John Pierce of Wethersfield, removed to Woodbury, Connecticut, where he settled in that part of the town which afterwards was set out as Southbury, and died there in 1731. The exact time of his removal is unknown, but his son, Sergeant John, who served in the Colonial militia, together with his wife was admitted to the church in Southbury in 1726. Abraham, son of Sergeant John and great-grandfather of Noble E. Pierce, purchased, in 1797, the interesting old family mansion in Bristol, which was a public tavern for a number of years after its acquisition by the family, being situated on one of the old " Queen's Highways." Mr. Pierce is the son of Julius Emerson Pierce, a farmer, who was born in the family homestead and took charge of the family farm for his life work, and Huldah Botsford Pierce, his estimable wife.
Noble E. Pierce was born in the ancient family mansion and reared in his native town, where he attended the common schools for a number of years. He then studied at the Connecticut Literary Institute at Suffield and at the Connecticut State Normal School in New Britain, where he was graduated in June, 1873. Having thus fitted himself for teaching, he put his training to use by two years' experience as teacher in the " Lower School" in Ansonia, Connecticut, and read law with Judge V. Munger during the same period. He supplemented his legal study with a course at the Albany Law School, where he was graduated in May, 1876, and was admitted to the Bar at Albany in the same month.
Immediately following his admission to the Bar, Mr. Pierce began the practice of law in Angelica, N. Y., where he remained for two years, at the end of which he returned to Connecticut, and was admitted to the Hartford County Bar. From 1878 to 1893 he practiced his profession in Bristol, and since 1893 has continued his career as a lawyer in Hartford, where he maintains partnership with Marcus H. Holcomb under the firm name of Holcomb & Pierce. Since 1887, Mr. Pierce has been a member of the Bristol School Board. From 1893 to 1895 he was treasurer of Hartford County. In 1890 he was elected a member of the State Senate from the Fourth District and, receiving re-election, served until 1895. His period of office included the memorable " dead-lock session" of 1891-92, and he was the Democratic leader both at that time and during his later session. In the session of 1893 he did very valuable, careful, and arduous work as chairman of the committee on Cities and Boroughs which brought about the General Street Railway Law of 1893.
There are many other ways in which Ex-Senator Pierce is known and honored by his fellow citizens. He has been one of Connecticut's most eloquent and popular Democratic campaign speakers and made stump speeches in every Presidential campaign from 1876 to 1894. He is most active and prominent in fraternal and Masonic orders, being a member of Clark Commandery, No. 7, Knights-Templar of Waterbury; Pequabuck Chapter, No. 32, Royal Arch Masons, of Bristol; Franklin Lodge, No. 56, F. and A. M.; Ethan Lodge, No. 9, Knights of Pythias, and Bristol Lodge, No. 1010, B. P. 0. E. He is also president of the Bristol Club and a director of the Free Public Library of Bristol. He is greatly interested in all town matters and was especially instrumental in securing the charter for the borough of Bristol and in establishing the present High School. He was an organizer and first president of the Bristol and Plainville Tramway Company, formerly the Bristol Electric Light Company, and is now a director and vice-president of that organization.
In July, 1879, Noble E. Pierce married Harriet Kendall of Angelica, N. Y., who died in October, 1895, and is survived by a daughter, Gertrude, and a son, Kendall M. Pierce.
In December, 1897, Mr. Pierce married Ettie Merriam, daughter of Captain J. E. Merriam, late of Washington, North Carolina, who was an intimate friend of President Lincoln, and, although a Southerner, on the breaking out of the war, allied himself with the Union cause and served with distinction in the secret service during the whole period of the war. No children have been born of his second marriage. [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut; Ideals of American Life Told in Biographies and Autobiographies of Eminent Living Americans, 1907 - Submitted by Don Tharp]
THOMAS SCOTT PRESTON
PRESTON, Thomas Scott; R. C. priest, was born at Hartford, Conn., July 23, 1824, the son of Zephaniah Preston, who was of Puritan stock. Though brought up a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, young Preston entertained against it many of the traditional prejudices of his ancestors. He was graduated from Trinity College in 1843, and in 1846 from the General Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal church, to the ministry of which he was duly ordained. He was appointed an assistant at the Church of the Annunciation, under Dr. Seabury, and was subsequently made assistant to Dr. John M. Forbes at St. Luke's church, then one of the most prosperous Episcopal churches in New York city. In 1849 he became a convert to Catholicism, having, as he said later, begun to weigh the tenets of Protestantism even as a child. Finding them wanting, he eventually decided to adopt the Catholic faith. In a magazine article, written a few years ago, he said, "All human influences around me would have kept me where were all my earthly ties, but I felt that the voice of my conscience was more to me than any earthly attraction. If there was one church founded by the Lord I must seek and find it. There were some worldly sacrifices, but, although they sombered my face a little, they did not drive the sunshine from my heart.
At last I was in my Father's house, and never from that moment have I had one doubt of the truth of the Catholic religion." The young convert, placing his services at the disposal of Archbishop Hughes, was sent for a course of study to the Roman Catholic seminary at Fordham, and" on Nov. 16, 18.",0, was ordained a priest by Cardinal MeCloskey, then bishop of Albany. Father Preston's first appointment was at the old cathedral in Mott street, whence he was subsequently transferred to the parish of the Immaculate Conception at Yonkers. Being recalled to the cathedral in 1853, he was appointed private secretary to Archbishop Hughes, and in 1855 was made chancellor of the diocese, which office he held until his death. The present flourishing condition of the diocese is a testimony of his able administration. He showed himself an exact and thorough business man, a strict disciplinarian and a rigid upholder of ecclesiastical authority. In 1861 he was appointed pastor of St Ann's church, then located on Eighth street. He erected the present church and school-houses in East Twelfth street, at a cost of $175,000, and also established the "House of the Holy Family" for befriending children and young girls. In 1874 Cardinal MeCloskey appointed him one of the two vicar-generals of the diocese. He was subsequently made monsignor, and in 1888 was honored by being named a prothonotary apostolic. In 1886 he was, by reason of his position, called to take action in the case of Dr. McGlynn (q. v.). The monsignor's position was supported in every particular at Rome, and when Dr. McGlynn refused to answer the charge, he was promptly excommunicated by Pope Leo XIII Monsignor Preston was a brilliant theologian, an able pulpit orator, and the author of a number of controversial and religious books. A zealous and uncompromising believer in the enforcement of every ecclesiastical rule, it is probable that, when the history of the Catholic church in America of today comes to be written, it will be found that no ecclesiastic of less rank than a bishop, and few, even of that exalted order, have left so deep an impression on it as Monsignor Preston. The characteristics that made him a marked man when he entered the Catholic priesthood, and ever continued to draw to him more attention and higher honors, were his intellectual force, his power as a preacher and controversial writer, and the simplicity and earnestness of his life." Monsignor Preston had never been seriously ill until attacked with what proved a fatal illness. He died in New York City Nov. 4, 1891. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
ROBERT BAIRD RIGGS
RIGGS, ROBERT BAIRD, Ph.D., professor of chemistry at Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, and state chemist of Connecticut, was born in Hazelwood, Minnesota, May 22, 1855. He is descended from Edward Riggs who came from Wales to Roxbury, Massachusetts, in 1633 and, on his mother's side, from Richard Longley who came from England to Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1625. Professor Riggs' parents were Stephen Return and Mary Ann Clark Longley Riggs. His father was a minister who was missionary to the Dakotas from 1837 to 1885, and was a man of great strength of mind and unusual persistence.
Most of Robert Higgs' youth was spent in country towns and villages. The family were in moderate circumstances and he helped to earn his own education. After due preparation he entered Beloit College in Wisconsin, where he was graduated in 1876. He went abroad for supplementary study and took his Ph.D. degree at Got- tingen.
From 1884 to 1887 Professor Riggs was chemist of the United States Geological Survey. Since 1890 he has been state chemist of Connecticut, and since 1887 he has been professor of chemistry at Trinity College, Hartford. His scientific researches have been fruitful and interesting, and he has made a particularly important study of the constitution of tourmalin. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, the German Chemical Society, and the college fraternity Beta Theta Pi. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, though he deviates from the views of that party in regard to tariff. He is a member of the Congregational Church. For recreation he enjoys golf and is an enthusiastic member of the Hartford Golf Club. Mrs. Riggs was Maida Sisson of Hartford, whom he married June 26th. 1895. Professor and Mrs. Riggs make their home at 35 Forest street, Hartford. They have no children [Source: Men of Mark in Connecticut; Ideals of American Life Told in Biographies and Autobiographies of Eminent Living Americans, 1907 Submitted by Don Tharp]
GEORGE EDWARD STREET, D.D.
Class of 1900; A.B., Yale, 1858. B. 18 June, 1835, Cheshire, Conn. Pastor. D. 26 Dec., 1903, Hartford, Conn. [Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1903-1904, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ALFRED HOWE TERRY
MAJOR-GENERAL ALFRED HOWE TERRY was born in Hartford, Connecticut, November, 10th, 1827. He graduated at Yale College, and was admitted to the bar in New Haven in 1848. He studied the art of war in the Crimean and Italian campaigns, and in April, 1861, was commissioned colonel of the seventh Connecticut volunteers, assisting in the capture of Port Royal and Fort Pulaski. On April 25th,1862, he became brigadier-general of volunteers. He participated in the battle of Pocotaligo, June, 1863, and in the siege of Forts Wagner and Sumter, in July, August, and September of the same year. His brigade being made part of the Army of the James, during 1864, he fought at Deep Bun, the Richmond Central railroad, and other places, and was for a time in command of the tenth corps, commanding the first division, when in combination with the eighteenth corps, it became the twenty-fourth corps. In July, 1864, he was breveted major-general, and sent by General Grant to lead the second assault on Fort Fisher. Being reinforced by General Schofield, he advanced upon Wilmington , which was captured on February 22d, 1865. General Terry then marched to meet General Sherman at Goldsboro. For his gallantry at the capture of Fort Fisher, he was made a major-general of volunteers, and a brigadier, and brevet major-general in the regular army. When the war ended, he was placed in command of the Department of Virginia. [Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875]
ABNER SPICER WARNER
Class of 1842
Born, Sept. 7, 1818, Manlius, N.Y. Son of Abner and Eliza (Spicer) Warner. Fitted at Kimball Union academy. Received the degree of M.D. from Dartmouth Medical college in 1848. After graduation he taught two years as principal of Appleton academy, New Ipswich, N.H., and two years in a similar position in the Newport High School. He removed to Wethersfield in 1848, where he began the practice of his profession. In 1878 Dr. Warner represented the town of Wethersfield in the general assembly. He was physician of the state prison for forty years. During the Civil war he served as surgeon of the sixteenth Connecticut from Aug. 24, 1862 to Jan. 9, 1863.
Died, Nov. 22, 1900, at Wethersfield, Conn., of rheumatism and old age.
Married (1) Nov. 23, 1847, Caroline Celinda, daughter of William Ripley and Eliza D. (Dorr) Kimball, Cornish, N.H., who died Sept. 12, 1866; (2) June 7, 1869, Jane Maria, daughter of James and Eliza (Reed) Spalding, West Meriden, Conn. Children: George Abner, Caroline Eliza, Mary Lucia, Elizabeth Williams, Eliza Spicer, and George Spalding, of whom the first one and last two are deceased. [Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1900-1901, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHARLES DUDLEY WARNER (A.M.)
Class of 1884 – CHARLES DUDLEY WARNER (A.M.) Born, Sept. 12, 1829, Plainfield, Mass. Son of Justus Warner. Fitted for college at Cazenovia, N.Y., and was graduated from Hamilton in the class of 1851. After graduation, being in poor health, Mr. Warner went to Missouri with a party of surveyors. He later entered the law department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1856. He then practiced four years in Chicago. In 1861 he returned East, and became assistant editor of the Hartford Press, and the following year, editor and owner. This paper was consolidated with the Hartford Courant in 1867, and Mr. Warner became co-editor with Gen. Hawley, and part owner. His connection with the paper continued till his death. Since 1884 he has edited a department of Harper’s Monthly Magazine. Mr. Warner was an occasional lecturer on educational and literary topics; interested in prison reform; chairman of the Conn. Sculpture Commission; and a member of the Hartford Park Commission. Yale conferred the degree of A.M. on him in 1872, and Dartmouth, in 1884. He began his literary work while in college, contributing to the Knickerbocker and Putnam’s magazine. His more important published works are "Book of Eloquence," 1853; "My Summer in a Garden," 1870; "Saunterings," 1872; "Blacklog Studies," 1872; "Gilded Age," 1873 (with Mark Twain); "Baddeck, and That Sort of Thing," 1874; "Mummies and Moslems," 1876 (re-issued as "My Winter on the Nile."); "In the Levant," 1877; "Being a Boy," 1877; "In the Wilderness," 1878; "Studies of Irving," 1880 (with W.C. Bryant and G.P. Putnam); "Washington Irving," 1881; "American Newspaper," 1881; "Captain John Smith, Sometime Governor of Virginia and Admiral of New England," 1881; "Roundabout Journey," 1883; "On Horseback, a Tour in Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee," 1888; "Studies in the South and West," 1889; "Little Journeys in the World" 1889; "Their Pilgrimage," 1886; "Our Italy, Southern California," 1891; "As We Were Saying," 1891; "Work of Washington Irving," 1893; "As We Go," 1894; "The Golden House, a Novel," 1894; "Relation of Literature to Life," 1896; "The People for Whom Shakespeare Wrote," 1897; "That Fortune," 1900; he also edited: "American Men of Letters Series;" "A Library of the World’s Best Literature."
Died, Oct. 20, 1900, Hartford, Conn., of heart failure.
Married, Oct. 8, 1856, Susan Sophia, daughter of William Eliot Lee, Hartford, Conn. [Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1900-1901, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
CHARLES E. WILSON
CHARLES E. WILSON, the present well-known and popular sheriff of Cass county, North Dakota, is a native of Connecticut, his birth occurring in Hartford, May 14, 1860. His parents were Roswell and Rebecca (Teaskey) Wilson, the former a native of Ireland, the latter of Connecticut. They spent the greater part of their lives in the Nutmeg state, but both died in Ontario, Canada. To them were born five children, three sons and two daughters, but our subject is the only one of the family living in North Dakota.
The early life of Charles E. Wilson was passed in Connecticut and Buffalo, New York, and at the age of thirteen years he became a resident of Chicago, Illinois, where he finished learning his trade, that of an upholsterer, which he followed there until coming to Fargo, North Dakota, in 1878. Here he was also interested in the furniture trade until 1887, when he became interested in a general business. He is a wide-awake, energetic business man and in his undertakings has met with well-deserved success.
In July, 1882, Mr. Wilson led to the marriage altar Miss Ida Seigne, who was born in Wisconsin, and they have become the parents of three daughters who are still living, namely: Addie M., Constance E. and Ellen M. Fraternally Mr. Wilson is identified with Masonic Order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Since casting his first vote he has affiliated with the Republican party, and has done all in his power to advance its interests and has served on the county central committee. He was a member of the board of county commissioners from the second district of Cass county for six years, and for the same number of years was a member of the city council of Fargo. In 1896 he was elected sheriff and so ably and acceptably did he fill the office that he was re-elected in 1898 by an increased majority. A trust reposed in him has never been misplaced and he has the entire confidence and respect of his fellow citizens. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
Hartland, Litchfield County, Jan. 19, 1796 - There is now living in this town, one Mr. Jonas Wilder, in the 97th year of his age, and is a steady, industrious man, seldom losing one day in a month by reason of infirmity and old age; he was one of the first settlers in said town, and has in this town lived near 36 years; he was then the oldest person that ever lived in said town and ever since has been, and still remains, the oldest person by several years. He has had two wives and both of one name, both Christian and maiden, the last of which he hath lived with about 65 years; he has had 12 children and never lost one; his eldest child is now in the 73d year of his age, the youngest in his 47th. His sons, though but seven in number, have sustained the following honorable offices, beside town and society offices, viz. one Colonel, one Major, one Captain, two Lieutenants, three Justices of the Peace, three Representatives, and three Deacons. His posterity was numbered in 1773, and found to be 232, of which he had lost only 16, and how many hath increased since then is unknown, as two lived near Boston, two at Upper Coos, and three at Genesee. Conn. Courant. ["Connecticut Historical Collections", 2nd Edition, by John Warner Barber; 1836]
Rev. JOHN WAREHAM
The Rev. John Wareham, the first minister at Windsor, died April 1st, 1670. He was about forty years minister in New England; 6 at Dorchester, and 34 at Windsor. He was distinguished for his piety, and the strictest morals; yet at times was subject to great gloominess and religious melancholy. Such were his doubts and fears, at some times, that when he administered the Lord's supper to his brethren, he did not participate with them, fearing that the seals of the covenant did not belong to him. It is said that he was the first minister in New England who used notes in preaching, yet he was applauded by his hearers, as one of the most animated and energetic preachers of his day. He was considered as one of the principal fathers and pillars of the church Connecticut. In 1639, the Rev. Ephraim Huit was installed as Teacher to the church at Windsor, over which Mr. Wareham was pastor. At this period, it was the opinion of the principal divines in New England, that in every church completely organized, there should be a pastor, teacher, ruling elder, and deacons. It was the general opinion, that the pastor's work consisted principally in exhortation; but the teacher's business was to teach, explain and defend the doctrines of Chrisitanity. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
Roger Wolcott, governor of Connecticut, was born in this town (Windsor), January 4th 1679. His parents lived in a part of the country which suffered much from the Indians, and in the town there was neither a schoolmaster nor minister, so that Mr. Wolcott was not a member of a common school for a single day in his life. When he was twelve years of age, he was bound as an apprentice to a mechanic. At the age of twenty one, when the laws permitted him to enjoy the fruits of his labors, he established himself on the east side of Connecticut river, in the same town in which he was born, where, by the blessing s of God upon his industry and frugality, he acquired what was considered as a plentiful fortune. He is an eminent proof of the power of talents and integrity, in a free country, in raising one to distinction, notwithstanding the disadvantages of education and of birth. He rose by degrees to the highest military and civil honors. In the expedition against Canada, in 1711, he was commissary of the Connecticut forces, and at the capture of Louisbourg, in 1745, he bore the commission of major general. He was successively a member of the assembly and of the council, judge of the county court, deputy governor, chief judge of the superior court, and from 1751 to 1754, governor. He died May 17th, 1767, in the eighty ninth year of his age. In all his exaltation above his neighbors, he exhibited no haughtiness od deportment, but was easy of access, free and affable, or ready wit and great humor. His literary attainments were such, that in conversation with the learned upon most subjects he secured respect. He was much attached to the peculiar doctrines of the gospel, and was for many years a member of a Christian church. From the year 1754, when his life was more retired, he devoted himself particularly to reading, meditation and prayer. He was very careful in searching into himself, that he might perceive his own character, and know whether he was rescued from that depravity, to which previously to the renewing agency of the divine Spirit the human mind is subjected, and whether he was interested in the salvation of the gospel. In his last moments he was supported by the hopes of the Christian, and he entered into his rest. He published poetical meditations, with a preface by Mr. Bulkley of Colchester, in 1725; and a letter to Mr. Hobart in 1761, entitled the new English Congregational churches are and always have been consociated churches, and their liberties greater and better founded in their platform, agreed upon at Cambridge in 1648, than in the agreement at Saybrook in 1708. A long poem, written by Governor Wolcott, entitled, A brief Account of the Agency of John Winthrop in the Court of Charles II in 1662, in procuring the Charter of Connecticut, is preserved in the Collections of the Historical Society. It describes with considerable minuteness the Pequot war. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
Oliver Wolcott, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was the son of Gov. Roger Wolcott, who resided in this town (East Windsor). He was born Nov. 26, 1726, and died at Litchfield in 1797. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
Erastus Wolcott, brother of the preceding (Oliver Wolcott), was born about the year 1723. Although a plain, laboring farmer, with inconsiderable advantages as to education, he by the force of his native talents, acquired great influence in public affairs. He was appointed a brigadier general in 1777, and went on an expedition to Peekskill. He was a member of Congress and Judge of the Supreme Court. He died in 1793. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
Oliver Ellsworth, LL.D., Chief Justice of the United States, was born 29th of April, 1745, and was graduated at New Jersey college in 1766. Devoting himself to the practice of law, he soon rose by the extraordinary energy of his mind and force of his eloquence, to distinguished eminence. In 1777 he was elected a delegate to the continental congress, and in 1784 appointed a judge of the superior court of Connecticut. He held a sear in the convention which formed the constitution of the United States, and was one of the most conspicuous and useful in that assembly, illustrious for learning, talents, and patriotism. On the organization of the federal government in 1789, he was elected a member of the senate, and continued in the office till he was appointed in 1796, chief judge of the supreme court of the United States. After discharging the duties of that station with great credit to his legal science, integrity, and eloquence, for near four years, he was appointed, towards the close of 1799, envoy extraordinary to France. The decline of his health disqualifying him for the duties of his office as judge, he resigned it toward the end of the year 1800. After his return to Connecticut, he was again elected into the council of that state, and appointed chief justice of the supreme court. He however declined the latter office, and soon after died, November 26th, 1807, greatly regretted, as in his life he had been admired for his extraordinary endowments, his accomplishments as an advocate, his integrity as a judge, his patriotism as a legislator and ambassador, and his exemplariness as a Christian. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
The Hon. William Pitkin, the ancestor of the Pitkin family of this town (East Hartford), emigrated from the county of Middlesex, Eng. and settled here in 1659. He was by profession a lawyer, and also one of the principal planters of the town. In 1664, he received the appointment of king's attorney for the colony. He died in 1694, after having filled various and important offices, distinguished for his virtues and abilities. He had a sister who emigrated soon after him to this country, who it is said possessed uncommon vigor of mind and many fine accomplishments. She married Simon, the youngest son of Henry Wolcott, was mother of the first Governor Wolcott, and grandmother of Oliver Wolcott and Roger Griswold, governors of Connecticut, and also great grandmother of the late Hon. Oliver Wolcott, of Litchfield. There have been a number of distinguished individuals of the name of William Pitkin in this town, one of whom was governor of the State, who was distinguished for his vigorous understanding and integrity; he died in 1769, while holding the office of governor. His son, the Hon. William Pitkin, was in 1758 appointed major of the Connecticut forces, raised for the expedition against Canada. He served through the campaign under General Abercrombie, and acquired the reputation of a faithful and gallant officer. He was a member of the Council during the Revolutionary war, and for the greater part of the war he served as a member of the Council of Safety. He died in 1789. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836 ]
John Fitch was a native of this town (East Windsor). To this individual belongs the honor of having constructed the first steamboat in this country. Although this honor has so generally been ascribed to Robert Fulton, yet it is a well known fact, that twenty years before the great experiment of Fulton and Livingston on the Hudson, a steamboat was constructed and put in operation in Philadelphia, under the sole direction of a then obscure and still almost unknown individual. This person was John Fitch. He was born in the south part of East Windsor, near the East Hartford line, on what is now called the old road. He was apprenticed as a watch and clock maker, to Mr. Cheney, who carried on the business in the eastern part of East Hartford, now Manchester. He married in early life and had two children; such however was the temper and unhappy disposition of his wife, that he left her, and went to New Brunswick, (N.J.) where he set up the business of clock making, engraving, and repairing muskets, before the Revolution. When New Jersey> was overrun by the British troops, Mr. Fitch removed into the interior of Pennsylvania, where he employed himself in repairing arms for the Continental army.
In the year 1785, Mr. Fitch conceived the project of propelling a vessel by the force of condensed vapor. When the idea occurred to him, as he himself tells us, he did not know there was such a thing as a steam engine in existence. In 1788 he obtained a patent for the application of steam to navigation. By unwearied exertion he succeeded in interesting about twenty persons in his plan, and inducing them to take shares of 50 dollars each. A boat was built in 1787. A mile was measured off in Front or Water street, and the boat was found to go at the rate of eight miles an hour. It afterwards went eight miles in a day. The Governor and Council of Pennsylvania were so much gratified with the experiment, that they presented them with a superb silk flag. About this time the company sent Mr. Fitch to France, at the request of Mr. Vail, our Consul at L'Orient, who was one of the company, and wished to introduce the invention into France. Being in the midst of revolutions in that country, and as no men could be obtained for the purpose of building boats, Mr. Fitch returned. Mr. Vail afterwards subjected to the examination of Mr. Fulton, when in France, the papers and designs of the steamboat appertaining to the company. In 1790, he made an alteration in his boat and she performed tolerably well, but still it required further alterations. Mr. Fitch however was not able to obtain the necessary means in order to perfect his invention.
The conviction of Fitch respecting the power of steam continued firm.In June, 1792, he addressed a letter to Mr. Rittenhouse, one of the share-holders; speaking of steam power, he said: This, sir, will be the mode of crossing the Atlantic in time, whether I shall bring it to perfection or not. He complains of his poverty, and to raise funds, he urges Mr. Rittenshouse to buy his land in Kentucky, that he might have the honor of enabling him to complete the great undertaking. Upon one occasion he called upon a smith who had worked upon his boat, and after dwelling for some time upon his favorite topic, concluded with these words: Well gentlemen, although I shall not live to see the time, you will, when steamboats will be preferred to all other means of conveyance, and especially for passengers, and they will be particularly useful in the navigation of the river Mississippi. He retired, when a person present observed, in a tone of deep sympathy, "Poor fellow, what a pity it is he is crazy." The distress of mind and mortification he suffered from the failure of his protracted exertions and his poverty were too much for him, and to drown his reflections, he had recourse to the common but deceptive remedy, strong drink, in which he indulged to excess, and retiring to Pittsburg, he ended his days by plunging into the Alleghany. He had filled several small MS books with personal and general narrative, more or less connected with his great scheme, and which he bequeathed to the Philadelphia Library, with the proviso that they were to remain closed for thirty years. The books were opened in due time, and were found to contain a minute account of his perplexities and disappointments. Of the boldness of his conceptions, (says a writer in the Mechanics' Magazine, Jan. 1836,) and the perseverance with which he followed it up, there can be but one opinion; and had fortune attended his efforts, and his means been equal to the accomplishment of his designs, there can be no doubt that he would now hold undisputed the honor of having given to the country this most noble and useful invention. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836]
GEN. PHINEAS LYMAN
Gen. Phineas Lyman, distinguished for his services during the French war, and for many public employments, was for several years a resident in this town (Suffield). He was born at Durham, about the year 1716, and educated at Yale College. He devoted himself to the profession of law, and commenced practice in this town. He took a distinguished part in the dispute between this state and Massachusetts, relative to the right of jurisdiction over the town of Suffield, and the other towns upon that boundary, settled by Massachusetts. He afterwards became a councilor, then called a magistrate, which office he held for a number of years. During the French war, he had a distinguished command in the northern army for several years. In the campaign of 1755, he served as major general in the provincial troops. At or soon after the close of the war, he went to England to support a claim of the officers of the provincial troops, having been authorized to act as general agent. After experiencing great difficulties and delay, (having returned once for an extension of his powers,) he succeeded in obtaining a grant of an extensive tract of land upon the Mississippi, in the vicinity of Natchez. He accordingly embarked, and sailed directly for the Mississippi, where he arrived about the year 1774. He dispatched one of his sons for his family, which during this period had remained in Suffield; but just before their arrival, the same year, Gen. Lyman died, upon the tract of land of which he obtained a grant. His wife died during the passage, and his family left there soon after, on the country being reclaimed by the Spaniards. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836]
Gideon Granger was born in this town (Suffield), July 19, 1767. He was graduated at Yale College in 1787, and in the following year was admitted a member of the bar of the supreme court of Connecticut, where he practiced law with great celebrity and distinction. In 1793 he was elected a member of the legislature of Connecticut, and was continued in that body for several years, and distinguished for energy, talents, and usefulness. To his enlightened exertions, this state is principally indebted for its school fund, so justly celebrated as the foundation of its primary schools, and the fostering parent of that useful information which prevails so generally in the state. In 1801, he was appointed postmaster general of the United States, and continued to execute the duties of that important office with great ability, until the spring of 1814, when he removed to the state of New York. In April, 1819, he was elected a member of the senate of that state, which situation he resigned in 1821, on account of ill health. He died at his seat in Canadaigua, on the 31st of December, 1822. Mr. Granger was a man of commanding appearance, of a striking physiognomy, of talents equally brilliant and profound, of a kind and benevolent heart, and unimpeachable rectitude. He was an able speaker and a powerful writer. His writings were confined almost entirely to political subjects. His principal publications were written under the signatures of Algernon Sidney, and Epaminodas, in favor of President Jefferson's and Governor Clinton's administrations, and of Senectus on the school fund of Connecticut. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836]
THE GRANT FAMILY
Gen. Grant was a lineal descendant of Matthew Grant, who emigrated from Devon, England, to Dorchester, Mass., in 1630, and removed therefrom in 1635, to Windsor, Connecticut, where he became town clerk and chief surveyor. One of the descendants, Noah Grant, was captain of a Connecticut military company sent against Crown Point in 1755, and was killed in action at the battle of Lake George. A second Noah Grant, grandfather of General Grant, served during the revolution and afterwards removed to Westmoreland county, Pa., where Jesse Root Grant was born. The family moved to Ohio in 1799. At that time schools were almost entirely unknown in that country, and the only education Jesse Root Grant obtained was derived from a few months schooling when he was about fifteen years of age. His father, although tolerably well educated himself, took little interest in instructing his children, and the family could not well afford to seek abroad for the advantage which they lacked at home. Young Grant had a matter-of-fact turn of mind, and seeing that he was destined to obtain his living by the sweat of his brow, he cast about for some remunerative employment. He finally selected the tannery business. In 1820 he removed to Point Pleasant, a small village 25 miles from Cincinnati. Here he became acquainted with his future wife. This lady, Miss Hannah Simpson, was born in November, 1798, in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, where she was brought up and educated. In 1818 she, with her father's family, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Clermont county. In June, 1821, Mr. Jesse R. Grant and Miss Simpson married and settled at Point Pleasant. On the 27th of April, 1822, their first child, Hiram Ulysses, was born. -- [Philadelphia Ledger. (The Hickman Pioneer, Friday, October 16, 1885); Contributed by Rita Morgan]
OLIVER PHELPS, Esq.
Oliver Phelps, Esq. a man of extraordinary enterprise and extensive business, was for many years a resident of this town. He was the "maker of his own fortunes." He was a native of Windsor, but was bred in this town, and received a mercantile education. He engaged in business in Granville Mass., and soon became a very enterprising, gracious and successful trader. During the Revolutionary war, he was employed by the state of Massachusetts, in the commissary department. Whilst in this situation, his transactions were of a most extensive and responsible nature, and his own paper formed a kind of circulating medium. Afterwards he purchased a large estate, and returned to this town. In 1789, he, in connection with the Hon. Mr. Gorham, purchased of the commonwealth of Massachusetts, a tract of land in the western part of the state of New York, in what is commonly called the Genesee country, comprising 2,200,000 acres. This is probably the greatest land purchase, or speculation, eber made by two individuals in the United States. This is a very excellent tract of land, having a mild climate, a fertile soil, and an abundance of waters, and is now comprised in the extensive counties of Ontario and Steuben. In 1795, Oliver Phelps, together with William Hart and their associates, purchased of this state the tract of land in the state of Ohio, called the Western Reserve, comprising 3,300,000 acres. Some years after this, he removed to Canandaigua, situated within his Genesee purchase. In 1802, he was elected member of Congress from the western district of that state. [Source: Connecticut Historical Collections, John Warner Barber, pub. 1836]
WILLIAM SIMEON SMITH
WILLIAM SIMEON SMITH, born September 30, 1837, at Suffield, Connecticut, was the son of Henry and Lydia (Bronson) Smith, and grandson of Simeon and Chloe Smith. Henry Smith, the father, was born in 1804 and died 1883. Lydia Bronson was the daughter of Sylvanus and Ester (Remington) Bronson.
The father was a quiet man, but very firm in his opinions. He was a member of the Baptist Church and had read his Bible through twenty-one times. By occupation he was a farmer. He was a lineal descendant from the Rev. Henry Smith who immigrated from England and settled at Wethersfield, Connecticut, in 1636. John Cotton Smith who was in the ancestral line, served as one of the last charter Governors of Connecticut.
William Simeon Smith was educated at Williams College graduating with the class of 1860 and soon found a position in Maysville, Kentucky, as Principal of the High School. But it was in 1870 that he took up the work that in after years made him famous. The Legislature of Kentucky had created a State insurance department and Mr. Smith was chosen Deputy Commissioner, serving in that capacity for six years. During that period, by his accurate and painstaking work, he was brought into prominence not only in Kentucky but also in various other States of the Union. From 1876 to 1877 he was assistant actuary of a St. Louis Life Insurance Company. At the latter date Stephen H. Rhodes, then Insurance Commissioner of Massachusetts invited Mr. Smith to become Deputy Commissioner. The invitation was accepted, and the position held for seventeen years. Mr. Rhodes became President of the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company of Boston, and, in 1894, Mr. Smith accepted the important position as Actuary of that company. He held that office at the time of his death, September 3, 1909. Mr. Smith had written much on the subject of Life Insurance.
He was a Fellow of the Actuarial Society of America; Associate of the International Congress of Actuaries, and a member of the Masonic Fraternity. As an actuary, Mr. Smith probably had no peer in the United States, and while associated with the Massachusetts Insurance Department he so systematized the work that today this Commonwealth possesses the most efficient State insurance supervising bureau of any State in the country.
In politics Mr. Smith was Republican. He never married. The passing of a man like Mr. Smith is a loss, for such men are rare in any community. He became a leader by the methods of a clean, upright, conscientious, business man, never varying from the strict line of honesty but conducting all of his affairs on the broad basis of truth and integrity. His life from youth to its close was an example of good citizenship and will leave its impress upon those who were connected with him in business or social relations.
[Source: Biographical History of Massachusetts, Biographies and Autobiographies of the Leading Men in the State, volume VI; by Rev. Paul Revere Frothingham, Massachusetts Biographical Society, Boston, Massachusetts, 1916]
FREDERICK L. OLMSTED
Olmsted, Frederick Law, landscape architect and founder of the profession, was born in Hartford, Conn., April 26, 1822. He was a descendant of James Olmsted, who came from Essex, England, to Boston. Massachusetts Bay Colony, on ship Lyon, and settled in Newtowne (Cambridge), in September, 1632. He removed to the Hartford Colony in 1636, where with his brother, Richard Olmsted was an original proprietor of the colony. His father John Olmsted son of Benjamin and Contest (Pitkin) Olmsted married Charlotte Hull, daughter of Samuel and Abigal (Doolittle) Hull. When Frederick Law Olmsted had obtained his secondary school training in the schools of Hartford at the age of eighteen, he shipped as a seaman on a vessel trading with China and India, and on retiring from the merchant marine service in 1845. He took a two years course of study in agricultural science and engineering at Yale College. In 1846 he removed to central New York to engage in practical farming in that section, as a farm laborer. He soon after became the owner and manager of a farm on Staten Island, N. Y. In 1850 and 1851 he made a pedestrian tour through Great Britain and the Continent, to observe the condition of Agriculture and to note the progress made in farming; he made a horse hack trip through the south western states of the United States in 1852-1853. He studied the parks and gardens of France, Italy and Germany in 1856, his traveling companion being Calvert Vaux, of New York, their aim being to perfect plans to he submitted in competition for Central Hark, N. Y.; their plans were accepted and they were employed to superintend their execution during 1857-61. This work became the first great monument to Mr. Olmsted's skill as a landscape architect. He was married June 13, 1859, to Mary Cleveland, daughter of Dr. Henry and Sarah (Jones) Perkins, of Oswego, N. Y. During the Civil War, as secretary of the United States Sanitary Commission, he directed its great work in preserving the health of the soldiers in the field, camp and hospital. He directed the survey of the Yosemite Park reservation, California, being chairman of the commission appointed by the government for that purpose, 1864-66. He laid out and superintended the construction of Prospect Park. Brooklyn, N. Y. in collaboration with Calvert Vaux in 1866. This work was followed by the Riverside and Morningside Parks. New York; several parks and parkways in Chicago, Buffalo, Bridgeport, Rochester, Trenton, Wilmington, Del.; the terrace and grounds of the National Capitol at Washington. He laid out the parks and parkway system of Boston, and the landscape beauty of the town of Brookline led to his making it his home. He was one of the founders of the Union League Club of New York City in 1863. He received the honorary degree of A. M., from Harvard in 1864, and from Amherst in 1867, and the honorary degree of L.L. D. from Harvard and from Yale in 1893. He wrote: "Walks and Talks of an American Farmer in England" (1852); "A Journey to the Slave States, with Remarks on their Economy" (1856); "A Journey through Texas, or a Saddle Trip on the South Western Frontier, with a Statistical Appendix" (1857); "A Journey in the Back Country" (1860); and "The Cotton Kingdom (2 vols., 1861), which was a condensed edition of the preceding four books. Mr. Olmsted was succeeded in his profession by his stepson and nephew. John C. Olmsted, and by his son Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., born July 24, 1870, the well known landscape architect of Brookline. Mr. Olmsted died while a patient in hospital at Waverly, Mass. August 28, 1903. [Source: A History of Brookline, Massachusetts 1630-1926; By John William Denehy; Publ. 1906; Pg. 126; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright GenealogyTrails