Plantations of Leon County in 1860
During the 1820s through 1850s, Leon County attracted planters from Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, and North/South Carolina to its fertile soils and long growing season. Up until the early stages of the Civil War, Leon County was the 5th largest producer of cotton between all counties in Georgia and Florida.
From Wikipedia.org, the free encyclopedia
Plantation Name - Total Acreage - # of Slaves Statistics from 1860
William Alderman - 980 acres - 36 Slaves
Silas D. Allen - 550 acres - 22 Slaves
Jesse Averett, Sr. - 19,601 acres
William Bailey - 2510 acres - 75 Slaves - located in central Leon County. Established by William Bailey The William Bailey Plantation had 3 tracts of land. The first tract bordered the William A. Carr Plantation on the north and east. It bordered the second tract of Burgesstown Plantation on the west. Today, this land would edge the west side of N. Meridian Road near Gardner Road on the north and south including eastern parts of Miller Landing Road, the black neighborhoods on Louis John Lane, China Doll Drive, Paremore Road, Sandy Springs Lane and Thompson Circle to and including eastern Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park.
The second tract to the east bordered Oaklawn Plantation on the north side and the William A. Carr Plantation on the west. Today this land encompasses parts of Killearn Estates and other developments on the east side of Thomasville Road and the eastern Ox Bottom Road on the west side of Thomasville Road.
The third tract was the farthest south and east of the capitol. Today this land encompasses Hillaman Golf Course, Governor's Square Mall, western Apalachee Parkway, and western Old St. Augustine Road. View map
Bannerman - 1440 acres - 120 Slaves - located in northwest Leon County. Established by Charles Bannerman. A small plantation, it was located just north of the old unincorporated community of Meridian and west-northwest of Lake Iamonia. Bannerman Plantation was known to be in existence in 1852. View pictures of Plantation house
Barrow Hill - 3990 acres - 71 Slaves - located in central Leon County. Established by John S. Winthrop. Barrow Hill Plantation had 2 tracts of land. The first tract would cover what is now western sections of E. Tennessee St, eastern parts of Miccosukee Road, and Leon High School. The second tract to the east bordered Joseph John Williams' La Grange Plantation on the west and would cover what is now a part of Chaires Cross, a part of Buck Lake Road, and Interstate 10. View map
S. A. Belton
Blakely - 900 acres - located in extreme northeast Leon County and established by Miles Blake. Bounded on the east by Ingleside Plantation and would have been bound on the west by what is now County Road 59 (Veterans Memorial Drive). Blakely's northern boundary would now be Cypress Landing Road and to the south it would have bounded by the streets of Leland Circle and Indigo Lane. Miles' wife, Susan Parish Blake, was 53 years old in 1860 and took over ownership sometime prior to 1860. Ingleside Plantation was established by Susan's son, Joel Blake. The two plantations may have shared slaves. As of 1980, J. A. Cromartie, a Blake great-grandson, owned the property. View map and house
William D. Bloxham - 1400 acres - 52 Slaves - located southwest of Tallahassee and established by William D. Bloxham.
J.R. Bradford - 700 acres
Burgesstown - 8100 acres - 274 Slaves - a large cotton plantation located in northern Leon County and established by Frederich R. Cotten between 1850 and 1855. Burgesstown extended to the west as far as the Ochlockonee River. To the east it would cross what is now Meridian Road and border the southern edge of Lake Iamonia. It would continue east and include the development of Luna Pines and the northern reaches of the development of Killearn Lakes Plantation. In would protrude south into the development of Golden Eagle Plantation and Golden Eagle Country Club. The smaller southern section of the plantation bordering Lake Jackson encompasses what is now the western edge of Phipps-Overstreet Park, the western part of Miller Landing Rd. and E. Rollins Point Rd. View map
In 1851, Cotten purchased 35 slaves: Old Penny, young Penny, Wilkes, Enoch, Molly, Sarry, Sylvia, Albery, Nancy, Rosetta, Betsy, John, Franklin, Jacob Sr., Jacob Jr., Jerry, Frederick, Penelope, Lucy, Jenny, Lydia, Guni [?], Seaborn, Susan, Washington, Aga [?], George, Martha, Sarah, Louisa Winna, Mourning, Scipio, Davy, Parthana, and Margaret. Cotten's slaves were valued at $164,000
William H. Branch - 1070 acres - 57 Slaves
William A. Carr - 2000 acres - 77 Slaves - was a small cotton plantation in northwestern Leon County. Established by William A. Carr. The land was situated at the northern tip of Lake Carr and encompassed what is now the small unincorporated African-American community of Blocker and the Cedar Hill Road area. A road in northern Leon County just off of Bannerman Road, Carr Lane, is the remnant of William Carr in the area. View map
Casa de Laga - 1228 acres - 70 Slaves. A moderate sized cotton plantation located in west central Leon County and established by George A. Croom. It was also known as the Ball and McCabe Place and later as Shidzuoka. Casa de Laga was located along the southwest shores of Lake Jackson. Today the plantation's grounds are the neighborhoods surrounding Harriet Drive, Longview Drive, Faulk Drive, Shady Oaks Drive, and slightly across N. Monroe Street or U.S. Highway 27. View map
Joseph Chaires - 3800 acres - 130 Slaves - a large cotton plantation located in southern Leon County, owned by Joseph Chaires. The Plantation's northern border was located at the southeast tip of Lake Lafayette. The property extended southward across Old St. Augustine Road. Today that land encompasses part of U.S. 27, Louvinia Drive, County Road 2197 (Williams Road), Old St. Augustine Rd, County Road 2195 (WW Kelly Drive) as far south as Tram Road near Lake Erie and Big Lake. View Map
Chemonie - 1840 acres - 64 Slaves. A medium sized cotton plantation in northern Leon County. Established by Hector Braden. The Plantation was situated on two separate tracts of land. The first tract was located between Centerville Road and the Monticello Road occupying a large amount of land. The second tract was south and slightly east. It was on the Leon County/Jefferson County line and bordered Evergreen Hills Plantation on the west and bordered a tip of Tuscawilla Plantation on the north. Read more history on our Jefferson county website - View Map
George Noble Jones purchased Chemonie as well as the El Destino Plantation.
J. B. Christie - 1420 acres - 37 Slaves
Charles Cole - 30 slaves
Henry Copeland - 55 slaves
John A. Craig - 1150 acres - 44 Slaves
William P. Craig - 1150 acres - 38 Slaves
Alex Cromartie - 1255 acres - 53 Slaves
John Cromartie - 960 acres - 52 Slaves
J. Q. Cromartie - 1320 acres - 40 Slaves
Edgewood - a small cotton plantation of 1840 acres located in northern Leon County, owned by Dr. William Bradford. It was located in the general area of Bradfordville near Thomas Anderson Bradford's Walnut Hill Plantation, and Edward Bradford's Pine Hill Plantation, and Richard H. Bradford's Water Oak Plantation.
Evergreen Hills - 6700 acres - 135 Slaves. A large cotton plantation, it was located in eastern Leon County. It was established by Green A. Chaires. Evergreen Hills was located in 2 tracts. The first tract bordered Joseph John Williams' La Grange Plantation on the north and the Francis Eppes Plantation to the east.
The second tract was at the east end of Lake Lafayette, Florida and bordered a 2nd tract of Chemonie Plantation on the east. Green's Evergreen Hills Plantation, with Benjamin's Vendura Plantation and Thomas Peter's Woodlawn Plantation, would form the community hub of Chaires, Florida. View map
Today the Chaires-Capitola Community Park, the neighborhoods around Chaires Cross Road, Green Oak Drive, Boykin Road, Boyette Lane, Bucklake Road, Farraway Farms and others occupy the land.
Francis Eppes - 1920 acres - 70 Slaves. A small cotton plantation of 1920 acres (8 km2) situated in east-central Leon County. Established by Francis W. Eppes in 1829.
The Francis Eppes Plantation bordered Evergreen Hills Plantation on the east, La Grange Plantation on the north, and the northeast tip of Southwood Plantation on the south. The plantation was located on both north and south shores of Lake Lafayette, Florida. Today that land encompasses the neighborhoods around Buck Lake including western Buck Lake Road, southern Pedrick Road, Planters Ridge Drive, Heritage Park Blvd and Doyle Conner Blvd. View map
A. A. Fisher - 1144 acres - 46 Slaves
R. N. Fisher - 1080 acres - 45 Slaves
Dr. George Galphin - 989 acres - 50 Slaves
C. B. Gamble
William Germany - 3240 acres - 40 Slaves
Goodwood - 1675 acres - 58 Slaves. Also known as Old Croom Mansion, it was a medium sized cotton plantation in central Leon County. Established by Hardy Croom, it was located at 1500 Miccosukee Road. Bryan Croom became the owner of Goodwood after the death of Hardy and his family in the 1837 "Racer's Storm". He completed construction of Goodwood in the 1840s. The family of Croom's wife, the Smiths, challenged Bryan's inheritance, and began legal proceedings which lasted through the 1840s and 1850s. The Smith family was awarded the estate in 1857. Arvah Hopkins purchased Goodwood in 1858. The plantation was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1972
William A. Harvin - 36 slaves
Alex B. Hawkins - 2000 acres - 51 Slaves
Richard Hayward - 51 slaves
Griffin W. Holland - 1600 acres - 95 Slaves. A moderate plantation of 1600 acres located in northern Leon County, established by Griffin W. Holland. The G.W. Holland Plantation would now be a good portion of County Road 12, Gallen Drive, Henry Beadel Drive including Tall Timbers Research Station, Iamonia Landing Road including the small neighborhoods located on Waterfront Drive, Pelican Lane, Seagull Lane, and Annabelle Lane. View map
Horseshoe Plantation - aka Pine Hill. A small cotton plantation located in northern Leon County and established around 1840 by Dr. Edward Bradford. Horseshoe Plantation bordered Edward Bradford's other property of Pine Hill Plantation to its south View map
The House Place - 1800 acres - 47 Slaves. A small cotton plantation, it was located in central Leon County. Established by R.A. Whitfield. The House Place bordered the James Kirksey Plantation on the west and the large La Grange Plantation on the south and east. Today the land northeast of Fleischmann Road and between Miccosukee Road and Centervillle Road. The House Place and other cotton plantations were purchased by Udo Fleishmann and became Welaunee Plantation. View map
Edward Houstoun - 78 slaves
Ingleside - 2620 acres - 116 Slaves. A medium sized cotton plantation located in extreme northeast Leon County. It was established by Joel C. Blake. Ingleside was bounded on the east by the shores of Lake Miccosukee and would have been bound on the west by Joel's mother's Blakely Plantation. Today, the land is County Road 59 (Veterans Memorial Drive). Ingleside's northern boundary would now be Cypress Landing Road and to the south it would have bounded by the streets of Leland Circle and Indigo Lane. View map
James A. Kirksey - 2600 acres 180 slaves. A moderate plantation located in northwestern Leon County established by James A. Kirksey.
The Kirksey Plantation was bordered on the north by Frederick R. Cotten's Burgesstown Plantation and on the east by the William A. Carr Plantation. Today the 1st section of 950 acres would be on the west side of N. Meridian Road at Orchard Pond Road including Buck Pond. The 2nd section was 3 miles north of Tallahassee on 1280 acres. View map
The James Kirksey plantation house was prefabricated in New York and built on the site in 1832. It is a 2 story home 55 feet across the front and 33 feet wide with porches on both floors wrapping from side to front to side. The house is supported with 16 fluted Doric columns (8 per floor). It is located at 325 N. Calhoun Street in Tallahassee View house
La Grange - 4150 acres - 232 Slaves. A large cotton plantation located in central Leon County and established by Joseph John Williams. Located just east of Tallahassee in 2 tracts of land. The western most tract bordered the James Kirksey Plantation on the east and Barrow Hill Plantation on the south.
The second tract of land to the east and much larger than the first bordered R. A. Whitfield's The House Place Plantation on the west, Barrow Hill Plantation's second tract of land on the east, and to the south it bordered Evergreen Hills Plantation and the Francis Eppes Plantation. View map
T. B. Lamar - 1120 acres - 41 Slaves
Thomas J. Laversage - 1560 acres - 48 Slaves
Live Oak - 1560 acres - 68 Slaves. Live Oak was originally a small cotton plantation located in central Leon County. It was established by John Branch. The plantation extended from the east shore of Lake Jackson to the western edge of Lafayette Township.
Ellen C. Long - 700 acres - 52 Slaves
Daniel B. Meginniss - 1600 acres - 70 Slaves. A small cotton plantation located in Leon County. Established by Daniel B. Meginniss.
Miccosukee - established by John Miller - 2517 acres - 80 Slaves. A medium sized cotton plantation located in eastern Leon County, near Lake Miccosukee and the village of Miccosukee, most likely north of Blakely Plantation.
John C. Montford - 1080 acres - 35 Slaves
Mossview - 2204 acres - 80 Slaves. A medium sized cotton plantation located in north central Leon County on the southeast shore of Lake Jackson and just north of Live Oak Plantation. Established by Amos Whitehead.
William S. Murray - 1120 acres - 33 Slaves
Oaklawn - 5640 acres - 20 Slaves. A large plantation in northern Leon County. It was established around 1850 by Captain William Lester of Burke County, Georgia. Oaklawn Plantation was located on two tracts of land. The first and northern most tract would become what is now parts of Killearn Lakes Plantation and the private hunting preserve of Horseshoe Plantation and extending south to Bradfordville. The second and southern-most tract would become properties on Ox Bottom Rd and edge Thomasville Road. View map
The plantation home was known as The Lester-Lauder House. The house was an antebellum I-house with Carolina type porch and enclosed rear shed rooms
Orchard Pond - 3844 acres - 118 Slaves. A large cotton plantation originally of 8754 acres located in northwestern Leon County and established by Richard Keith Call. The exact boundaries of Orchard Pond Plantation are not available. What is known is that Orchard Pond lay between Lake Jackson and the Ochlockonee River to the west. View map
Orchard Pond Plantation eventually reduced in size down to 2644 acres and Call turned over his other plantation, The Grove, to his daughter. Call began turning his attention to agricultural experiments such as Florida hemp and livestock improvements. View House
M. D. Papy - 1200 acres - 43 Slaves
William Perkins - 1568 acres - 42 Slaves
Julian S. Pettes
Pine Hill - 3270 acres - 130 Slaves. A large cotton plantation established between 1829 and 1832 in northern Leon County, touching the southeast arm of Lake Iamonia. Established by Dr. Edward Bradford. Pine Hill Plantation bordered Oaklawn Plantation on the northeast and southwest and Bradford's Horseshoe Plantation to the north. View map. Today the developments of Killearn Lakes Plantation, large private homes, and several commercial interests are on Pine Hill. The area is known as Bradfordville. Pine Hill was situated amid rolling hills and green forests, with little streams that fed one of the nearby lakes. The plantation had a large stately mansion painted green and white and which stood in a grove of pines. The mansion was surrounded by gardens of roses and a variety of shrubbery as well as lawns. Thoroughbred Kentucky horses, cows from Alderney and Guernsey grazed on some land. To the east of the mansion were the slaves' cabins. The plantation also had a 24 foot, one room business office with several windows and a fireplace used by Dr. Bradford. This office also served as a hospital for the sick and wounded Confederate soldiers. During March of 1857 the "black measles" hit Pine Hill killing several people. Pine Hill's plantation house was located north of Oaklawn Plantation's home on Thomasville Road
Ponder - 5000+ acres - 99 Slaves - A large cotton plantation situated in northeastern Leon County and established by William G. Ponder. The plantation was located west of the settlement of Miccosukee and not bordering any other plantations. View Map Today that land encompasses private property north of Moccasin Gap Road and Veteran's Memorial Drive.
G.W. Ponder was one of two absentee planters in northeast Leon County. Originally from Thomas County, Georgia, Ponder began purchasing land in Leon County in 1846. Agents for William Ponder were B. Regan and Jno. J. Courtney
L. S. Raines - 1000 acres - 43 Slaves
Thomas Randall - 38 slaves
W. F. Robertson - 1320 acres - 30 Slaves
J. A. J. Roney - 77 slaves
G. W. Scott - 60 slaves. A 1036 acre (cotton plantation in central Leon County established by George Washington Scott in 1852. Located 2 miles south of Tallahassee
R. G. Shepard - 1400 acres - 90 Slaves. A small cotton plantation located in south central Leon County, established by R.G. Shepard. The plantation bordered Southwood Plantation on the west side. View map. Today, that land encompasses part of Tram Road in the general area called Corey southeast of Southwood Golf Club and northeast of Woodville
Solomon Sills - 840 acres - 26 Slaves
Smithwick - 520 acres
Southwood - a large cotton plantation of 5000 acres located in southern Leon County and owned by George T. Ward. It bordered the Francis Eppes Plantation on the north and the R.G. Shepard Plantation on the south. View Map. Besides Southwood, Ward also maintained his plantations of Clifford Place and Waverly. Including Southwood, his holdings totaled 4200 acres. Combined, Ward had 160 slaves, produced 7500 bushels of corn and 500 bales of cotton
Daniel Switzer - 620 acres
Tuscawilla - 3000 acres - 172 Slaves. A large cotton plantation located in eastern Leon County, established by George W. Parkhill. It bordered the northern tip of the south tract of Chemonie Plantation. View Map. Today, the land that was Tuscawilla is now the neighborhoods east of Chaires Cross Road and the north and south sides of Buck Lake Road, much of Baum Road, north and south sides of I-10, including Heartwood Hills, Tung Grove Road, Pennewaw Trace, and Bexhill Lane
Walnut Hill - 2120 acres - 65 Slaves. A small cotton plantation located in northern Leon County and owned by Thomas Anderson Bradford. It was located in the general area of Bradfordville near William Bradford's Edgewood Plantation, and Edward Bradford's Pine Hill Plantation, and Richard H. Bradford's Water Oak Plantation. View map
Water Oak - 1840 acres - 65 Slaves. A small cotton plantation located in northern Leon County, owned by Richard Bradford. Located in the general area of Bradfordville near Thomas Anderson Bradford's Walnut Hill Plantation, and Edward Bradford's Pine Hill Plantation. View map
Waverly - a large cotton plantation located in southern Leon County, and owned by George T. Ward. It bordered the Southwood Plantation on the west. View map
J. E. Whitaker - 94 slaves
Robert W. Williams - 37 slaves
T. B. Winn - 52 Slaves
Woodlawn Plantation - was a large plantation located in eastern Leon County, owned by Thomas Peter Chaires. Along with his 2 brothers Green A. Chaires and Benjamin A. Chaires, Thomas established large plantations during the Florida Territorial Period of 1821-1845. Green Chaires would establish Evergreen Hills Plantation and Benjamin would establish Vendura Plantation.
Vendura - 3500 acres - 63 slaves. A large cotton plantation in eastern Leon County established by Benjamin Chaires, Sr. In 1838, Vendura Plantation had 9440 acres of land. Picture of House "The Columns" and Grave
Leon County Smaller Farms - 1860
E. P. Johnson - 88 acres
William Johnson - 88 acres
E. S. McCollum - 75 acres
Jackson Moody - 25 acres
S. W. Sweatman - 117 acres
Leon County Home Page
Back to Florida Home Page
Back to Genealogy Trails
©2008 Genealogy Trails