Mary P. Abbott
Abbott, Mrs. Mary Perkins, journalist, author, was born Oct. 17, 1857, in Salem, Mass. In 1893-1904 she was book-reviewer of the Chicago Times-Herald. She was the author of Alexia; and The Beverleys. She died Feb. 6, 1904, in Miami, Fla.
[Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - TK - Sub. by a FoFG]
Harry Pulliam Cain
CAIN, Harry Pulliam, a Senator from Washington; born in Nashville, Davidson County Tenn., January 10, 1906; moved with his parents to Tacoma, Pierce County, Wash., in 1911; attended the public schools and Hill Military Academy at Portland, Oreg.; graduated, University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn., 1929; pursued graduate study in England and Germany; engaged in newspaper work in Portland, Oreg., 1924-1925, and in the banking business at Tacoma, Wash., 1929-1939; elected mayor of Tacoma, Wash., in 1940, and again in 1942 for a four-year term; took leave of absence in May 1943 to enter the United States Army as a major; served in the United States Army in the European theater 1943-1945; resumed his duties as mayor of Tacoma until June 15, 1946; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate on November 5, 1946, for the term commencing January 3, 1947; subsequently appointed on December 26, 1946, to fill the vacancy in the term ending January 3, 1947, caused by the resignation of Hugh B. Mitchell, and served from December 26, 1946, to January 3, 1953; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1952; member of the Subversive Activities Control Board, Washington, D.C., 1953-1956; moved to Florida in 1957; resumed banking business and civic work; resided in Miami Lakes, Fla., where he died March 3, 1979; cremated; ashes scattered on a golf course in Bethesda, Md. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present; Sub. by A. Newell]
Tennessee A. Copeland
Copeland, Mrs. Walter (See Ghigau) — Tennessee Almyra, daughter of Garrett and Jane (Harlan) Lane was born February 16, 1849 in Tennessee. Married October 16, 1866 David Solon James, born January 5, 1842 in Stone County, Missouri. He served the union in Co. E, 14th Kansas Cavalry. They are the parents of Clara Della James, born in the Cherokee Nation, near Miami June 16,1875. Educated in the Female Seminary and Worcester Academy, Vinita. graduating from the latter institution in 1893. Taught school in the Cherokee Nation for twenty years and married at Miami, May 12, 1915 Walter, son of George O. born in 1841 and Amanda Copeland born in 1842 in Indiana.
Mrs. Copeland is a member of the Methodist Church and Eastern Star Chapter. Mr. Copeland is a merchant at Welch.
["History of the Cherokee Indians and their legends and folk lore", By Emmet Starr, 1921 - pub. by the Warren Company, Oklahoma City, OK - Transcribed by K.Torp]
Rolvin H. Darst
Was born on the 19th day of July, 1866 in Delaware county, Ohio, son of William D., and Louisa (Holt) Darst, both of whom were natives of Ohio, were married there. Later they came to Greene County, Mo., in the year 1872 and bought 300 acres of land where the mother died. His father then sold out and went to Texas and in company with his brother-in-law bought 320 acres of land in Hale County which he farmed for two years then sold out and came to Dade County, and lived with his son, Rolvin, until he died, August 27, 1912.
Rolvin H. Darst was the 3rd in order of birth of a family of seven children. He remained at home until 19 years of age, worked out for wages. In 1886 he was married to Margaret Hurst who was born March 3rd, 1869, died June 3rd, 1896, leaving one child, Lloyd, born February 12, 1887, married Laura Wheeler, a daughter of James Wheeler. They have two boys, Lawrence, born October 31, 1906 and Lewell, born November 27th, 1910.
His second child, Clyde, died when five years of age.
R. H. Darst was again married to Mary Olive Wheeler, who was born February 3rd, 1872, a daughter of Allen Wheeler. They were married on the 10th day of February, 1898. In the year 1892 he bought 160 acres of land in partnership with his brother in Polk Township upon which he lived for about 10 years. This land was unimproved. They cleared out 120 acres and built a frame house, then sold out and bought 240 acres all in one body. This tract of land was in fair condition. Mr. Darst has done some clearing, lots of fencing, so that now it is all fenced and cross fenced and all in cultivation except 20 acres. He has re-built the dwelling consisting of five rooms with water in the house. Has a 130-ton silo and a herd of full blood short-horn cattle. He feeds from five to six car loads of cattle and hogs each year, has fifteen acres of alfalfa which does fine. Mr. Darst was one of the first men in Polk Township to introduce alfalfa. In addition to being a splendid stock and grain farm, Mr. Darst is of the opinion that much valuable mineral underlies his land, since it is right in the mineral belt of Dade County and surrounded by producing mines. He expects to do some prospecting the coming year. The ranch is named Riverside Stock Farm.
Mr. Darst and wife are members of the Baptist church. He is a Republican in politics and belongs to the Odd Fellow and Woodman lodges. He is also a stock-holder in the Home Telephone Company. Much of the good-roads spirit which has been developed in the community is due to the untiring labors of Mr. Darst in that direction. He is a good roads enthusiast and strong for the Community Spirit. ["History of Dade County and Its people...", vol. 2, The Pioneer Historical Company; 1917]
William J. Davis
Public spirited, picturesque, eccentric, whole-souled, wide-awake and active, William J. Davis is easily Lockwood's most distinguished citizen. He was born in Saratoga County, New York, March 27th, 1834. He was a son of Richard C. and Susan (Pawling) Davis, the former being a native of Saratoga county, New York of Scotch parentage as also was his wife. Her father, William Pawling, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Her uncle, Colonel Henry Pawling served in the Continental army with distinction under General Washington. The Pawling family was related to General Alexander Hamilton and General James Clinton. The Pawlings were Scotch-Irish.
Richard C. Davis and wife were the parents of seven children, two of whom died in infancy:
(1) Alexander, married Mary Sawyer, drowned in Illinois river.
(2) William J. Davis.
(3) Albert P., married Miss Place.
(4) Levi H., married Alexander's widow, (twins) Albert enlisted in the 105 Ills. infantry at DeKalb, Ills., and served during the war. He is now at a Soldiers' Home in California.
(5) Jane Eliza, married J. Sturgeon, and is now deceased.
(6) Andrew Jackson, died in infancy.
(7) Herman, died in infancy.
William J. Davis grew to manhood upon the farm, first in New York and later in the state of Illinois. He has a vivid recollection of the days when he cradled grain at 50 cents per day and threshed at 25 cents per day. He mowed with scythe and raked hay at 50 cents, too. He was a natural mechanic, handy with tools, and could construct almost any kind of a farm utensil, including wagons, hay-rakes and cradles and his own plow and corn planter. His father came from New York to DeKalb County, Illinois, in 1846, where he died in 1877. He was a Democrat, but he and his four sons voted for "Abe" Lincoln in 1860. He was a successful farmer and stock-man, and a member of the Baptist church. His wife died in 1870. William J. Davis came to Dade County in 1869 and purchased land for a farm in the then wild prairie, contrary to the advice of all the early pioneers. The city of Lockwood now stands on a part of his original purchase. He named his home the "Evergreen Stock Farm," which soon became noted all over Southwest Missouri. Mr. Davis imported the first Norman stallion and the first Shorthorn bull into Dade County. He also, in 1884, imported five Scotch Clyde stallions and four mares, and has a certificate from the United States authorities stating that they were superior stock and would improve the stock of the United States. He made his own cuts to print on the bills for his stallions. He was also a breeder of fine jacks and a propagator of fruits, flowers and tame grasses. He exhibited live stock, fruits, grasses and vegetables at the county, district, state and even national fairs for a number of years, having now in his possession a string of premium cards and ribbons over 200 feet long. He was awarded a gold medal at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St. Louis in 1904 for the best display of tame grasses and clover grown by an exhibitor, competing against the world.
Mr. Davis was the only man in Dade County to give the right-of-way to the K. C, Ft. & G. railroad when it was constructed. It crossed 80 acres of his land. As soon as the railroad was built, in 1881, Mr. Davis platted a town and named it Lockwood, in honor of the General Passenger agent of that road. In order to encourage building, he gave lots to all who would erect buildings thereon, and he gave lots and money to every church erected in the city except the German, and they never solicited it. He gave a whole block to the public school and another block to the city for a park. Another act of philanthropy which might be mentioned occurred during the very early days of Lockwood, when there had been a failure of crops and flour was very high. Mr. Davis purchased 40,860 pounds of flour and sold it at cost in order to prevent suffering. Mr. Davis also gave the lot, the water privilege and $50 in cash to the first flouring mill erected in Lockwood. Mr. Davis built the first house on the present site of Lockwood and was the town's first postmaster. As a breeder he had wonderful mastery and control over his animals. At one time he exhibited on the streets a pair of Norman stallions hitched and driven to a wagon with-out a halter, lines or bridle. At another time he exhibited a 4-year-old stalion on the streets of another town right in breeding season, with lots of horses on the streets, threw the rein over his back and asked the horse to kiss him, which he did, and followed him with his tongue against his face whenever he stopped, paying no attention to other horses. His exhibitions of live stock, fruit and farm products on the streets of Lockwood was the real beginning of the Dade County fair. As a veterinary surgeon, Mr. Davis exhibited great natural skill, and performed many remarkable feats along that line. William J. Davis was first married to Sarah A. Kellogg. To this union were born three children:
(1) Susan, intermarried with Charles Polston, a farmer, for many years a resident in the vicinity of Lockwood, but now in New Mexico. They have eight children.
(2) Minnie B., first married to Samuel Hunt. To this marriage was born one son, Lola, who is now a teacher in a government school in Oklahoma. Her second husband, William Rollman, now resides in Iowa. They have one child.
(3) William Henry, in business in Kansas City, is married and has one child.
In 1892 he was married to Bertha C. Heisey, a native of Pennsylvania, widow of Philip C. Heisey. They have no children.
Besides being a farmer, gardener, stockman and horticulturist, William J. Davis is also a great hunter and fisherman. It has been his custom for several years to spend his winters on the gulf coast of Florida, where fishing for game fish is a rare sport. Mr. Davis has many rare specimens of forest, field and stream, which be exhibits with delight. He is a man of remarkable physique, being able now, at the age of 82 years, to sit on a chair and place his leg over his shoulders and around his neck, a feat which very few men at any age in life can accomplish.
Some years ago, when Mr. Davis concluded to sell The "Evergreen Stock Farm" and lead a more retired life, he erected a modern home in Lockwood on an eight-acre tract within the city limits. To his lawn he moved from his farm a large number of evergreen trees, many of them eight inches in diameter and 30 feet high. So successful was he in this enterprise that in less than two years' time his home had the appearance of having been settled 20 years or more. On this lawn and eight-acre tract Mr. Davis has grown many rare plants, shrubs and curious trees. Industry and tenacity of purpose has been the watch-word of Mr. Davis' life. While he has accumulated a large amount of property, mostly the fruit of his own industry, he has also been generous, giving to his children abundantly. He is still active and able to do as much or more work than many men 25 years his junior. His wife is a member of the M. E. church, Mr. Davis being a Baptist, but not an attendant. He is the oldest living member of the local Odd Fellow lodge, has filled all the chairs in the subordinate lodge, and also the encampment. He votes the Republican ticket and takes a great interest in current events. He has traveled extensively, attended many national conventions and expositions, is well posted on many topics, is peculiar in this, that there never was another man just like him, and as long as Dade County history is read, written or talked about, the name of William J. Davis will always find a place upon its pages. ["History of Dade County and Its people...", vol. 2, The Pioneer Historical Company; 1917]
Life Work of Henry M. Flagler
His Work of Developing the East Coast Was done against Adverse Criticism of Friends
The Gazette-News copies the following excerpt from an exhaustive and interesting article in the Manufacturers' Record, reviewing what Henry M. Flagler has accomplished for the development of the Florida East Coast:
The remarkable works of Mr. Flagler on the East Coast of Florida merit careful attention as the undertaking of one man who firmly believes his fortune was given him for the purpose of using it for the best interests of his fellowmen, and who puts his convictions into daily practice. Mr. Flagler's investments in Florida have been the result of careful investigation, absolute faith in the numerous resources of Florida, and the courage to risk large sums of money in backing up his judgment, even in spite of the adverse criticism of his friends.
"In 1887 Mr. Flagler completed the Ponce de Leon hotel in St. Augustine. This is one of the most beautiful buildings of modern times and set the standard for high-class construction of this character of buildings in the United States and abroad. This hotel was built to make of Florida a first-class tourist resort, instead of a sanitarium, and has been successful. The Alcazar, another beautiful hotel, was also finished soon after the Ponce de Leon, and Mr. Flagler then purchased the Cordova hotel, thus making a trio of high-class hotels, accommodating about two thousand people. He built the Memorial Presbyterian church and manse, a most exquisite creation, fitting and furnishing it completely in every detail. He also gave to the Methodists a beautiful building for their church and parsonage. These buildings are all built of concrete and to lay are as solid as when completed. He also built a city hall for the city of St. Augustine and aided in the rebuilding of the old Roman Catholic cathedral, which was almost destroyed by fire. He paved numerous streets with asphalt and established a water, sewer and electric system for his properties.
"To enable the pleasure-seeker to reach St. Augustine comfortably and quickly, he bought a narrow-gauge railroad under construction from South Jacksonville to St. Augustine, widened the gauge, built a magnificent steel bridge across the St. Johns river at Jacksonville, and thus enabled the running of high-class Pullman limited trains from new York directly through to St. Augustine within 24 hours. Mr. Flagler then bought of William Astor his railroad from St. Augustine to Tocoi and Palatka, and from Deacon S.V. White his narrow-gauge railroad from San Mateo to Daytona (he changed the gauge of the latter property), connecting them up to Daytona with his Jacksonville line. He built the Ormond hotel at Ormond, and in the spring of 1893 he bought the McCormick property at Lake Worth, building thereon what has become the world-famous resort, the Royal Poinciana hotel, at Palm Beach. He extended his railroad along the Indian river from Daytona to Palm Beach, throught he famous Indian river orange groves and what is now the equally famous pineapple district, establishing what is now a most attractive town at West Palm Beach. This town has all the comforts of modern cities, a population 'all year round' of about 1,000, and is one of the most thrifty little cities in Florida. In 1895 Mr. Flagler build the Hotel Breakers, facing the ocean beach at Palm Beach. He built an iron pier and enlarged the Royal Poinciana, until now it is the largest tourist hotel in the world. He became interested in the Bahamas and bought the Royal Victoria hotel at Nassau. In 1896 Mr. Flagler extended his railway to Miami, on Biscayne bay, in Dade county. He built a fine hotel there - the Royal Palm." The Daytona Gazette-News. (Daytona, Fla.), September 24, 1904
Thomas W. Foreman
Foreman, Thomas Watie (See Grant, Foreman, Hildebrand, Seabolt and Duncan) — Thomas Watie, son of Thomas Leroy and Susan M. (Wolf) Foreman was born at Tahlequah January 12, 1860. Educated at Tahlequah. Married at Tahlequah, March 28, 1886. Cherokee Duncan daughter of George Washington and Mary (McLaughlin) Hughes, born February 11, 1870. They are the parents of: William Evarts, born Dec 18, 1886, was in officers training camp during World War and is practicing law at Tulsa; Watie Cornelius, born Feb. 3, 1891 was in railroad service during the war and is the auditor of an oil company in Rogers, Arkansas, and Thomas Hughie Foreman, the youngest son was born May 9, 1894 was in the aerial service during the war and is a deputy sheriff in Miami, Florida. In Nov. 1921 was commissioned U. S. Prohibition agent for Miami Dist. Mr. Foreman's Cherokee name is Takatoka. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1884. Has been a law enforcement officer since statehood. He entered the Cherokee Advocate office at the age of fifteen and served on its staff until its discontinuance being for a quarter of a century its busines manager and for a good part of the time actual but not nominal Editor.
Thomas Leroy was the son of Charles and Annie (Seabolt) Foreman.
Susan (Wolfe) Foreman mother of T. W Foreman was a daughter of Thomas B. Wolfe the first settler of Tahlequah, built first house in 1835 before removal of Cherokees from Georgia. Was an old settler or Western Cherokee. When Cherokees in general council met and adopted the constitution and Act of Union and selected the location for the Cherokee capital T. B. Wolfe donated the ground which was called Tahlequah and ever afterward was known as the capital of the Cherokees.
["History of the Cherokee Indians and their legends and folk lore", By Emmet Starr, 1921 - pub. by the Warren Company, Oklahoma City, OK - Transcribed by K.Torp]
Mary A. Peden
Harry Zimmerhackel, attorney at law practicing at the Denver bar since 1909 and now serving as a member of the city council, which indicates his deep interest in the welfare of Denver, was born May 2, 1884, in the city which is still his home, being the only child of George and Jane (McSweeney) Zimmerhackel, the former a native of the state of New York, while the latter was born in Pennsylvania. They left the east in the early '80s, removing from Dunkirk, New York, to Colorado, where the father conducted farming interests in the vicinity of Denver. Later he established a box and picture frame factory which is still in operation and which he successfully conducted until 1913, covering a period of thirty-one years. He is now engaged in the raising of citrus fruit near Miami, Florida, where he makes his home at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife also survives and is now fifty seven years of age.
Harry Zimmerhackel was a little lad of six years when he entered the public schools of Denver, in which he passed through consecutive grades to his graduation from the high school. He afterward entered the University of Colorado at Boulder and gained his Bachelor of Arts degree upon graduation with the class of 1907.
After reviewing the broad field of business in order to make choice of a vocation which he wished to make his life work, he decided upon law practice and devoted two years to preparatory study, being admitted to the bar in 1909, after having completed a law course in the University of Colorado with the LL. B. degree. He at once opened an office in Denver, where he has since remained, and in the intervening period he has gained a liberal clientage that has connected him with much important litigation. He is now attorney for the Denver Manufacturers Association and represents in a legal way many of the large corporations of Denver and of the state. He has specialized to a great extent in corporation law and there are few men more thoroughly informed concerning this branch of the profession. He is a member of the Denver Bar Association and also of the Colorado State Bar Association and the legal fraternity, Phi Delta Phi, and is favorably known among his brethren of the law.
On the 9th of June, 1910, Mr. Zimmerhackel was united in marriage to Miss Rosina Vaughan, of Denver, whose parents were pioneer people of Colorado, her father acting aa secretary to Governor Adams during his administration as chief executive of the state. To Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerhackel have been born two children: Jane, whose birth occurred in Denver, December 26, 1912; and Sarah, who was born December 28, 1917.
Mr. Zimmerhackel is a Master Mason, holding membership in Oriental Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & A. M.; Rocky Mountain Consistory, Scottish Rite; and El Jebel Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and he also is a member of the Optimists Club of Denver. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is serving on the city council of Denver, in which he has been made a member of the committees on public utilities, judiciary and claims. He is interested in the close study of all questions which come before the municipal legislative body and lends the weight of his aid and influence upon the side of progress and improvement. As a public official, as a lawyer, as a citizen and a man he stands high in the regard of the community in which his entire life has been passed.
["History of Colorado", Volume 2 edited by Wilbur Fiske Stone - pub. 1918 -- transcribed by K.T.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails